Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am Electrical/Lighting Problems

1235»

Comments

• squirl033squirl033 Member Posts: 3
    is there an easy way to disable the DRLs on my 2000 grand am without messing up anything else? i want to install projector headlights, but do not want the DRLs to overpower the "angel eyes" on the new headlights.
  • bigpun29bigpun29 Member Posts: 2
  • bigpun29bigpun29 Member Posts: 2
    ok i just bought a 98 grand am gt 3.1 with new engine and tranny. it has been sitting for a few days and today i went to start it to move around. batt was dead. i hooked the charger to it and when you turn the key to run it makes a clicking sound that is coming from passenger side firewall. also all the instruments and dash lights blick to the clicking sound. there are 3 relays where the sound is coming from. can anyone tell me what the relays are and if thats my problem. car will not take charge and start either. please help
  • crspcrsp Member Posts: 1
    Hi:
    I have a 2001 grand am gt, great car, but have had serious electrical problems. The first was the security crap, that cost me 400 to "fix" for two days, then whe it came back I called the dealership and told him it was on the way. He couldn't fix it for at least 11 days so he went on to tell me about leaving the key on and resetting itself. It has done it on numerous occasions and this works. Obviously they did not do much to help my situation. My next problem is not headlights, only high beams. The cluster was the reported problem but when I looked closer, I found the plugs on the headlights were corroded and wires were appart. Fixed this, now after 8 months I have low beams.
  • tcwintertcwinter Member Posts: 1
    Last week, while I was driving my 1997 Grand Am GT, I looked down for a second. When I looked back up, a number of my dashboard alert lights were on, including low fuel, low coolant, low oil, ABS off, and check engine. My gas gauge still read 3/4 full, and my temperature gauge was right in the middle, not overheating. The car continued to drive fine. When I got home, I turned it off, checked the oil and the coolant, then turned it back on. At that point, the lights were all on and my fuel and temperature gauges weren't registering anything.

We have checked the fuses, and they're all fine. Any ideas? I'd so appreciate the help!
    :confuse:
  • nate_gnate_g Member Posts: 1
    99 Grancd Am tail lights will not go off all of the sudden. I unhooked the battery and hooked it back up for unrelated reason and now the tail lights stay on after car is turned off and causing the battery to go dead unless battery is unhooked. Any suggestions?
  • gt96gt96 Member Posts: 2
    I had my 96 grand am gt electrically analyzed (cost $95.00) at a goodyear advanced auto center because my running lights and tail lights will not turn off when I turn off the car and I have to disconnect the battery. They told me I need a new multifunction switch. The total cost with labor will be about $385.00.
  • screwedbygmscrewedbygm Member Posts: 14
    The 99 thru 04 series employs a worm expanding strut driven by a nylon gear at one end that is powered by a small Fasco electric motor. Most any other manufacturer but Government Motors would make both the strut and motor available as individual service replacement parts. With GM, however, you must pay over $330 for a complete replacement seat frame with motor and strut included. It's outright gouging and it's ridiculous! The nylon gear at the end of the strut either cracks or suffers tooth shearing, whether from age deterioration of the nylon material or overuse/abuse of the power system, much like Ford power windows. Replacing the strut assembly with nylon gear seems the practical solution but GM does not provide that option. It's either live with whatever height the seat is at when the gear cracks or shears, or shell out the $330 plus labor for the sake of a 50-cent piece of nylon attached to a ten dollar worm strut! There are tens of thousands of Grand Ams with broken driver's seats desperately seeking an affordable height adjustment fix. Does anybody know of any aftermarket source for a replacement strut with nylon gear assembly?
  • ghost123ghost123 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same damn problem. The turn signals work when they want to. They is no rhyme or reason for them to start working and stop working. It just does it when it wants to. When you find out the answer, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Yes, it's very dangerous and frustrating!
  • rwhipplerwhipple Member Posts: 2
  • rwhipplerwhipple Member Posts: 2
    Last week my horn went off at 3:30 in the morning. I had to disconnect the horn relay to turn it off. I waited 10 minutes, put the relay back in. and it started sounding again. I took it out and left it out. Yesterday, I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes to clear the service engine light. It worked. Now, at 3:30 this morning the horn sounded again. I had to take the relay back out. This 2005 grand am is driving me nuts. Headlight issues, interior lighting issues, does anybody have a clue as to what may be causing this possessed car to wake the neighbors up ?
  • robertzrtrobertzrt Member Posts: 2
    i have a 02 grand am and when i turn the headlights on one is brighter in the other one, its real dim also the signal lights dont work can anyone help?? i checked the relays and fuses :confuse:
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    As far as the headlight, it's probably a poor ground or a corroded connection at a harness connector or in the bulb socket itself. I would look for a loose or corroded ground first.
    Do the signal lights not come on at all or do they come on but don't flash? If the fuse is good it's probably either the flasher unit (part of the emergency flasher switch) or the multifunction switch itself (which can be a problem on N body cars) or some wiring defect. Have you checked the bulbs? It's not likely they would all fail at the same time though.
  • loosenuploosenup Member Posts: 1
    i have no exterior lights, (headlights,tail lights, hazards or turn signal lights.) i have checked the fuses and they are ok. my interior work fine, any have an idea what might be the problem.
    Check to see if the associated fuse (or fuses) are even getting power. There could be a problem before the fuses. Also, it could be an ignition switch problem. This is when a wiring diagram comes in very handy.
  • sturdysturdy Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find out why lights stayed on? I'm having the exact issue with my 2001 Grand Am...
  • rachie1021rachie1021 Member Posts: 1
    i have a problem with my temp gauge and rpm gauge ..their not working at all...my oil pressure light, battery light,theft system,coolant lights are all on..i just changed my battery...i notices that some of the pontiac owners have similar problems ..i jus wondering if any 1 from the problem ....ima bout to check all the fuses but i have no idea what it could be ???????????? :confuse: :sick: :mad:
  • wildchildmbwildchildmb Member Posts: 1
    I know this is an old thread, but if someone still has a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am and has this problem, you can call your local GM dealer and have this recall done: http://www.automotive.com/1997/49/pontiac/grand-am/recalls/72894.html

It might be worth checking into.
  • igor056igor056 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Grand AM SE '97 with the 2.4L engine.
    I have I think two separate problems.
    1. If the car stands in the hot Florida sun all day, it is very difficult to start. Any other time, when the temp is cooler or in the winter no problem starting at all.

2. I have a problem I have seen on these boards before but never seen a fix for.
    My warning lights will all come on and the instruments, apart from the speedo, will all go off. Just as though the engine were not running but the ignition turned on ready to start. A few seconds later the lights go off and the instruments start reading again. It makes no difference if the car is stationery of doing seventy miles an hour. The engine keeps running fine. I feel like it should be Christmas with these fairy lights flashing at me. Anyone found an answer to this please?
    I have recently replaced the battery, which was due for replacement and it made no difference. I thought maybe the central computer, so I replaced that and still the same. I am dubious of taking this vehicle too far until I know the problem and I need to do some miles very soon. Help Please.
  • clo3clo3 Member Posts: 1
    Recently I have been having some issues with my 96 Grand Am. About a week ago my car randomly wouldn't start. I was able to jump it a couple of times, and after that it was working fine and starting up like normal. Just this morning, I was on the HWY and my speakers in my car stopped working, then the cd player was turning on and off by itself. Then my battery, air bag, break and oil lights came on, soon after that my fule gage and all other gadges went to 0. I quickly pulled over and parked, turned it off, and tried to start it again. It would not even turn over. I am wondering if this could be just a battery issue, or if it is something more serious. Please Help!!!! :sick:
    Sounds like battery to me. Could be a bad alternator also.
  • autopossessdautopossessd Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 Pont. Gran Am...all of a sudden my electric windows and air conditioner blower will not work while the car is running....but when I shut the car off...my windows will work and my air. Turn the ignition on and they will not work...also...when the car is on...my high beam indicator light flashes, even though the lights are not on...my running lights will not work.....the head lights only come on if I turn them on manually...and my rear defroster will not shut off manually when the car is running. I have checked the battery and the alternator..and both check out fine......ANYONE HAVE ANY ANSWERS TO THIS MISTERY????? I feel like my car is suddenly possessed here..lol
  • rs193706rs193706 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,My name is richie.I have THE DAME PROBLEM.NO DRL NO REAR TAIL LIGHTS NO DASHLITES. IT STARTED OFF WITH A LEFT TURN SIGNAL FLASHING FAST> THAT WAS FIXED BY REPLACING THE CIRCUIT BOARD ON THE DRIVER SIDE READ TAIL LAMP.
    I DO NOT HAVE A MANUAL> SOMEONE SAID IN AN EARLIER POST THAT YOU HAVE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, THEN THE AIR BAG FUSE, THEN THE AIRBAG CONNECTOR ( WHICH ONE IS THAT ? ) AND TAKE OUT THE TORX SCREW> I HAVE AN ) 02 GRAND AM 2.2

DO I NEED A MANUAL?

IF SOMEONE CAN SUPPLY A REMOVE REPLACE PROCEDURE WITH PICS I WILL PP MONEY TO THEM___I AM SERIOUS
    POLEASE HELP. MONEY IS SO SHORT FOR ME.
    BTW I AM NOT SCREAMING JUST VISION ISSUE
  • autopossessdautopossessd Member Posts: 2
    hello...i'm not sure if your problem is the same as mine...but you may want to try just replacing the switch in the ignition....this is what I did and it only cost me 40 bucks....and it seems to have fixed all my problems...everything is working like new again (thank goodness). I also went ahead and replaced all the fuses too. Just a suggestion to try before you fork out exteme amounts of money. Good luck to you, hope you get things running correctly again.
  • hobguehobgue Member Posts: 1
    Having the exact same issue. Did you ever find out what the problem was?
  • ant9ant9 Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem i really need to no if you ever found a fix im going crazy
  • grandamfangrandamfan Member Posts: 2
  • grandamfangrandamfan Member Posts: 2
    i got a 1996 Pontiac grand am gt with a 2.4 4 cyl i got a problem with the electrical problem my fan for the hvac shut down i checked the fuse and the fuse is still good and today the daytime running lamps stopped working so im at a loss on what to do or what to have fixed
  • krispdlankrispdlan Member Posts: 1
    baught the grand am buddy said needed an alternator ok so i got one put it in the battery is overcharging for one and when ya try to drive it it spits and spudders and the dash gage lights flick on and off slow on...off...on...off...tried 3 different alternators and same thing any suggestions. thanks
  • jsdysonjsdyson Member Posts: 1
    It happened about a year ago then not for a long time but now is doing it regularly. The first time i had gotten to work was finishing listening to a song when i shut the car off i heard something kinda of zap/click funny and the car was completely dead. jumped it after work and all was fine for about 7 months or so. i was in it one day it was running fine, shut it off, went into the house to grab a few things came out and when i turned the key everything lit up as usual then just completely dead in the blink of an eye. jumped it and it was fine for a bit. now it's started doing it every few weeks or so. sometimes it will eventually just start on it's own which leads me to think it's a short somewhere. but the computer testing thing doesn't ever find anything. when it's in it's "dead" state i can hear something under the dash making a faint clicking sound like it's trying to work, i am assuming this is because the dome light is trying to work because after a short time it stops. i have two dummy lights that come on but nothing else, no headlights, no dash, no interior, nothing. it won't even attempt to turn over. i have noticed all of the gauges for the speedometer and rpms and gas and temp try to work, but the rpm and speedometer bury themselves all the way up. and sometimes they just jump all over like crazy. anybody have any ideas? i'm wondering if it's not the ignition switch.
  • jminton1jminton1 Member Posts: 1
    im having the same problem with my 96 grand am. and from what i think it has to be the transmission. i just replaced the rack n pinion, hub bearings, and axles and theres nothing else to seem like bearings going out to make a grinding noise excpet the tranny. and theres a TSB on grand ams for this issue and it just says possible cause transmission.. so i guess tranny bearings are going out on the shaft outputs possibly..
  • thejake2thejake2 Member Posts: 2
    I have the exact same problem, any luck figuring it out?
  • thejake2thejake2 Member Posts: 2
    Super weird, but mine does the same thing, did you ever fix the problem? I'm lost. thx
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Hi thejake2,
    When responding to a post that's really old like that (5+ years), the best way to get help is to describe the problem you're having, rather than sending members on a search back in time. :)

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• blahhh000blahhh000 Member Posts: 1
    the same thing happens to me, i have a grand am 02' actually happening right now and its been not starting for 2 days now
  • eviljestereviljester Member Posts: 1
    there are two different relays that you can look into one is 22 under the hood in the relay box that controls day time running lights, now there is another relay that is number 20 under the fuse box that one controls the head lamps the service engine light is a a b code from the bcm if you can get some with a tech two scanner to get you the code try replacing both relays first
  • ajorgensajorgens Member Posts: 2
  • ajorgensajorgens Member Posts: 2
    So I stopped my car and put on my hazards, which worked fine, and then when I started driving again, the blinkers wouldn't turn on, and I had a sinking feeling that the brake lights were also malfunctioning. Turns out they were. The headlights still work, but blinkers and brake lights do not. I'm going to have to check if the reverse lights still work.

What could possibly be the problem? I don't think it is the fuse, which looked fine, so I am completely lost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • demon_speeddemon_speed Member Posts: 1
    had same problem..changed hazzard switch with no help..what it is is the blinker switch itself..easy fix..take cover off stearing wheel around blinker and washer switch..unplug wire clips..there are 3..you will see there are a few screws holding the top cover of the blinker housing..remove the cover and spray with electronics spray and wipe off the contact ends..let dry a few minuts and reinstall..done mine two weeks ago and no noise yet..saves 100.00 on new switch
  • vovikvovik Member Posts: 2
  • vovikvovik Member Posts: 2
    I have a pontiac grand am 1999 and sometimes whenever i start the car the dash lights don't turn on the a/c doesn't work and the power windows don't work. However if you you hit the dashboard on top with your hard hard enough everything starts to work again.

I have replaced the ignition switch and checked the fuses, but the problem still occurs and each time you have to hit the dashboard harder and harder for it work again.
  • roshiarroshiar Member Posts: 1
    Did you find the problem?Having the same issues with my 2001
  • gabeautylovegabeautylove Member Posts: 1
    05 grand am and the lights, windows and air stopped working
  • stealthangel67stealthangel67 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Grand Am GT V6 3.1

Last few weeks I have had a odd list of electric issues, I think I have a short, but don't know where to look or start.
    My door locks don't lock or unlock with the door control, they do lock after I get up to speed, but do not unlock when I turn off the engine, only unlocks and locks perfectly with my keyfob.
    My cigarette lighter doesn't power my phone charger, tried a few.
    I believe it is starting to effect my gauges.
    Last, my electronic controls for my mirrors, doesn't work at all, only way to control them.

I just need help locating where to start looking.
    Battery isn't new, will be replacing soon.
  • Grassguy22Grassguy22 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 grandam and the headlights are dangerously dim. I replaced bulbs it didn't seem to help . The high beams aren't any better. Amy ideas ?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    I would try to find an electrical diagram specific to that model. But my guess first would be the ground wires both go together and ground at a point to the metal of the chassis. Find that an remove and clean that ground point and retighten. It also could be a point earlier in the wiring that's shared.

If it were the battery ground to the engine and on some there's a small wire to the car's metal, that could be removed, cleaned, and tightened. The battery in my last leSabre had two small ground wires that went from the battery to the car's sheet metal for ground.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,