Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cruise Control

nhomadnhomad Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet
I recently installed a trailer hitch & wiring on my 2004 blazer. Of course I disconnected the negative from the battery and now the cruise control won't work. Fuse is fine. Does it just need time for the computer to reset itself or should I contact the dealer?
Thanks,
Nhomad

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
  • repairdogrepairdog Member Posts: 948
    If it worked prior to the wiring install you have to think thats the problem - no, the computer does not have to reset for cruise. Did you buy the GM connector (all prewired back there) or splice in? Bet the cruise thinks the brake pedal (switch on the pedal arm) is depressed so cuts the cruise out. Check the new wiring and the rear connector - oh any trailer brakes on this so 7 not 4 pins?
  • catlover11381catlover11381 Member Posts: 1
    I recently brought my Chevy Impala LS 2002 to have a problem with high beams and lights repaired. Combo switch assembly was replaced and now, my cruise control does not function. Mechanic said cruise worked when it was tested, there are no loose connections, etc. Never had a problem prior to this repair visit. I'm being told perhaps it's something in the dash not working . . . activation cruise control light no longer appears on dash. Any suggestions?
    Since when is this a Blazer - anyway he pulled the harness from the column so think its on him to correct - gee worked before but not after - have a discussion with the manager - also the brake pedal has a shutoff switch/brake light switch that may be involved/bad/disconnected - seen them activate the brake lights but were adjusted so far out that they deactivated the cruise. Check all fuses and all the connectors too. No light = no activation
  • gundoctorgundoctor Member Posts: 1
    My cruise control works during the daytime, but when the lights come on (other than daylight driving lights) or I manually turn them on, my cruise control quits working in less than a minute. Cannot set the cruise control while lights are on. As soon as I turn the lights off, cruise will work again. Any ideas?
    Would look at a voltage drop in the circuit probably in the multifunction switch - look at the wiring in the column as the hi/low beam is in the MFS.
  • jmosby1469jmosby1469 Member Posts: 1
    The conventional wisdom that the use of cruise control helps improve fuel economy, by evening out the accelerations and decelerations involved in usual driving practices, has a flaw. I notice that using this feature on roads with varying terrains, including many hills, results in my RPM's increasing sharply as my vehicle ascends these hills. I believe these sudden sharp increases in my engine's output negates many benefits to fuel economy of keeping the cruise control set. Your comments, please.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    You are correct. Cruise control is not effective for fuel economy in rolling terrain as it cannot "look ahead" and compensate. Nor can it "average" such as letting the car gain a few MPH leading up to a hill, or drop a few extra MPH while approaching the crown of a hill.
This discussion has been closed.