Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Battery Pack Questions

13»

Comments

• camryloyalistcamryloyalist Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for your message back and excuse my ignorance, but more questions. The car has been on dealer lot so hard to predict how much use its had since it came on lot about 3 mos ago.

Seems like the battery charge was low based upon what I saw.

Is it typical though for gas engine to kick in while idling?

Final q, 2007 was year one for TCH---any strong arguements to go find a 2008?
  • cdn_tchcdn_tch Member Posts: 194
    If its been on the lot for 3 months don't worry about the battery. The normal state of charge fluctuates between 20 & 80%. This is normal. The TCH uses the battery pack as a storage device. As you drive on battery power, the battery depletes. If you accelerate or the state of charge gets low, the ICE (internal combustion engine) kicks in and the battery will recharge.

The ICE will kick in while stopped if the state of charge on the traction battery gets low.

I have an '09 so am not familiar with the differences between earlier years. The drivetrain is the same for all the current gen TCH.
  • mrmkmrmk Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at buying a used 2007 TCH. It's got 115,000 miles, but seems like a good deal at $11K. My main concern is the battery life. It seems like there's some conflicting info out there. My question is... should I expect to have to replace the TCH's battery soon if I got this vehicle? If so, what's the approximate cost if that replacement today? Thanks for all the great info!
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    I read an article a while back where some university did a test on Hybrid battery life and they beat it up for 160K miles and said no noticable loss in battery function, but as usually your expierience may vary. I don;t know if there is any test Toyota can do to tell you how healthy the battery pack is, you may want to ask them.
  • jcihakjcihak Member Posts: 60
    My wife drives an '08 Camry with 42k miles and the hybrid system works flawlessly. My parents have owned a Prius since '05 and never had a problem with the hybrid system.

This is in sharp contrast with Honda's IMA hybrid. I owned a '09 Civic hybrid for 28k miles. After the last tune-up, the car was so sluggish and mpg was so poor I could no longer drive it. Honda was no help. I traded the car in. The Honda IMA system is a POS compared to Toyota's system.
  • connecticut2connecticut2 Member Posts: 41
    I am looking at the Camry and trying to decide where to go with the Hybrid or the regular model. We drive mostly on the back roads and that's where the Hybrid would make sense. However, from what I understand, the battery would last about 10 years and then would need to be replaced. Also, the battery is very expensive (around $10K) and I usually drive my cars to the ground. So, would it be possible for me to drive the Hybrid until the battery gives in and then just drive it as a non-Hybrid car?

Thanks..
    There is no data that I am aware of that says that the battery has only a 10 year lifespan, and judging by the Prius taxis, they have been getting 300,000+ miles out of their cars with no hybrid issues. Also battery packs used to be priced in the 10K range when the hybrids first came out. The last number I read was in the neighbourhood of 3-4K.

As for driving the TCH as a gas only car; not possible as the traction battery in conjunction with one of the electric motors is your 'starter'.

Since the TCH was only introduced as a 2007 car, there is no long term data on the TCH. But based on the Prius, you should not worry about getting a hybrid.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    The previous reply is correct. So far, all the evidence suggests the hybrid battery will last the life of the car. That's been the experience with Prius, which has now has an 11 year history and over 1 million on the road. A few Prius, used as taxicabs, have gone 300k+ miles and experienced a decline in battery output. But the engines in most cars would lose some power after that kind of mileage.

As to battery cost, I've heard $3K mentioned. Never $10K.
  • ff16tchff16tch Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2009 TCH with nav, 23,480 miles, the car was in storage for about 3months, now even after putting a new 12v battery, the car wont start, "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" and "CHECK VSC" message is being displayed...please help what should I do? Can I fix the problem my self? Will appreciate expert help.
    Thanks
  • bbillinbbillin Member Posts: 11
    I can't get my Toyota Camry Hybrid to start. Dash light don't go on, no radio, nothing. Can we charge from the front under the hood, or does is need to be jump started from the 12V in the trunk?

Is this serious?? The car hasn't been used much.

Thank you,m
    Barbara
    What ever happened? Did you get the car to start? My car has no display light on, the power goes on and nothing. The dealer said it's the battery, but won't come out to jump start it. I'm in Europe and the towing service says they jump it like the Prius, but should I trust them?
    Hi there,

I read you have a 2009 TCH. Mine went totally dead in the garage. They jump started it and I took it to Toyota service to slowly charge the 12v. They told me it is charging very slow and I might need a new 12V. The car has been driven quite a bit but was in the garge for a month and I think that's how it went dead. Even if the 12V doesn't charge up to 100%, is it really necessary to get a new 12V. I am in Europe and he told me they would order if from the us and would cost 700E. We don't have a guarantee, because they don't have that car here, just the Lexus Hybrid and Prius. Any advice???

Thanks you
  • rickccrickcc Member Posts: 1
    I had this same problem with the 'starter battery' the first year I owned my '07 TCH. Dead usually after we were away for a weekend or something. We suspected it was the low level communication between car & key which my wife kept about 20' from the car in her hall closet. However Toyota maintenance found that there was an internal leak (electrical - not fluid) in the battery (finally) and replaced it. No problems since.
  • ssuleimanssuleiman Member Posts: 1
    We bought 2010 Camry Hybrid in the US last year and shipped it overseas. We drove it for a month and left it in the garage for almost 10 months. Now, the 12V is totally dead. When i jump start the car, it works as long as we don't turn off the engine. If we do, we have to jump start the car again. I drove it multiple times hoping the 12V will eventual charge, but without success. Any expert help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • rich07rich07 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 TCH and it has been a GREAT car. We were hit in the rear by an 18 wheeler and the car stood idle for a long time. In my readings I somewhere read that the Hybrid battery will use the 12v to keep it from dropping below a certain point. I did have to get a new 12v. I suggest for sure that you replace your 12v.

I also can tell you that a Hybrid is not the car to have if you are going to leave it for a long time, because of the battery situation. I have a older RX300 which I leave at a vacation home for 6 months and it will start within 2 or 3 seconds, BUT I DO DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE WIRE OFF THE BATTERY. With the TCH I think I would leave a small charger on the 12v if I were to leave it for anything over one month. Also before shutting it down I would make sure the Hybrid battery is charged, you can see this on your display.
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Sounds likethe regular 12V battery is dead, no big deal, the Hybrid uses standard 12V battery for starting the car just liek every other car.
  • pat85pat85 Member Posts: 92
    I was in the hospital for a week each about 2 months apart when I did not drive. I needed a jump start from AAA for my 12 volt. I am sure no lights were on. I had to use the key to get in my car as the battery was so low it would not let me use the smart key.
  • sparkchaserjoesparkchaserjoe Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 Camry for my wife. We will drive it on weekends and trips as well as her 6 mile commute. So far I like it!

If you know the current drain on the 12 Volt battery it should be easy to put a "Float Charger" on it while it is not in use. Then you should be able to leave it for as long as you want. A lead acid battery does not like to be left discharged over time. It also does not like to be overcharged. If overcharged too much the battery has to get rid of the excess energy. It does this by generating heat. The heat vaporizes the water in the battery. So to match the float charge with the drain is important. I have a Yamaha that sits for weeks at a time. I made a 12 volt float charger that puts out about 0.100 amps or 100 Miliamps (mA). Seems to work fine.

As far as adding capacity to the battery it would be tricky ... From what I have read the battery packs are built with "D" size Nickel Metal Hydride cells. When the batteries do go bad might look into high capacity cells and someone that can rebuild it. By then it might be an option.
    Joe
  • pat85pat85 Member Posts: 92
    edited February 2012
    I too had my 12 volt battery discharge while I was in the hospital. I had to use the key to get in. I called AAA and had them jump my 12 volt.
    A lead acid battery does heat up, while draining it to start your car. The Internal impedance causes the battery to warm very slightly while supplying the amps to start your car. Volts = current( amps) times resistance.
    This is Ohm's law.
  • lmlhlmlh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid with 116k miles. The car is in great condition. How many miles can I expect to get out of the Hybrid battery?
  • devy1devy1 Member Posts: 14
    I also have a 2007 TCH with 183K miles and had all the options available. So far do not see any issues with the hybrid battery. Just had my rear brake pads changed. With these many miles, I am on the highways a lot and do not use the brakes that much. Have changed oil with synthetic Mobil 1 5W 30 almost every 6-8K miles. Have not changed spark plugs yet. Any expert want to comment/help out on the spark plugs? Get an average of 35 mpg these days on Kumho tires that I keep 1psi higher then recommended on the door. First set of my Kumho tires replacing michelins and they have been great on wear.
  • mkdorfmkdorf Member Posts: 10
    Just purchased a 2012 Hybrid Camry and I noticed the battery indicator on my display never shows a FULL charge. It is always 2 'bars' short of full no matter if I've been at highway speeds for an hour. Is this normal? Thanks everyone as I'm new to the HYBRID world.
  • bison58bison58 Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a 2007 Camry hybrid since March 2007 and driven it just over 50K miles. No trouble with the 240 volt hybrid battery but did have to replace the 12 volt battery in 2011 at a cost of $385 which is ridiculous. There is an Optima battery that will work fine to replace the Panasonic in spite of what the dealers tell you. You should know, the Panasonic replacement battery you get at a dealer has a one (1) year warranty only! Not acceptable If enough people complain to Toyota American in Compton, CA. this may change! Also, there is no one who can tell you how long the 240 volt battery will last. It is a mystery.
  • snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    Did you have any warning when the battery died?
    Yes. Under normal circumstances, the system will keep the battery between 20-80% of charge to maximize battery life.
  • druminsteindruminstein Member Posts: 2
    Spark plugs are due at 150k miles per manufacture recommendations. There is no set life expectancy for the HV battery life. The federal warranty is 100k miles and 150k miles in CA. The brakes last because they are only responsible for 10% of the braking force. The HV motor is what slows the vehicle down, thus saving brake pad life.
  • druminsteindruminstein Member Posts: 2
    For future readers, they actually use an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery, NOT a Lead-Acid battery like most cars. There are many Technical Service Bulletins released from Toyota on how to care and charge the 12V battery in cases where the vehicle sits for extended periods of time.
  • mthomas3mthomas3 Member Posts: 33
    I have a total of 1800 miles on it. I wanted to see if anyone else had a problem like this. Driving today in Phoenix and everything operated normally. This was the hottest day yet. Outside air temp reading was 113 degrees. Parked it for an hour, then came out to go home. Made a very fast left turn onto busy street. Easily the hardest turn I had made to date in the car. The hybrid system died, and put up a red battery light. I figured I could drive home on the gas engine - WRONG. The gas engine engine will shut down a few seconds after the hybrid battery light goes on. I had to re-start gas engine about 7 times to get it to a safe spot.
    I don't think the 250V battery died as it powered the AC compressor just fine and I had cold AC. The dealer has it now. If I do not get a satisfactory explanation I plan to trade it in and pressure dealer to give back what I paid for it. Will definitely get a gas-only engine.
    Does anyone have a similar experience? Searching the Internet, the solution may be a loose connection or failed inverter. But I am wondering if it is a thermal problem.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Doubt it's thermal - I live in PHX with a 2007 TCH I bought in June 2006 and it is fine at nearly 100K miles. Battery still charges fully.

You most likley just have a faulty component, and when replaced, the car will be good to go.
    The service manager called me this morning. There were no obvious things wrong like loose connections. They have opened a case file with Toyota headquarters to diagnose and fix problem. He indicated that it will take a few days. I will keep you posted with results.
    The problem was with a bad inverter. Replacement solved the problem and I have the car back now. They also did extensive checks on the hybrid system functions to make sure there were no other problems. I will definitely trade in the car before it goes beyond the warranty.
    Just as I had predicted. You'll enjoy the mileage, even in Phoenix. Good Luck !!
  • joonjoon Member Posts: 121
    My 2012 TCH that I purchased in March currently has about 4k miles in it. This past week, I took it on a long drive from So. Cal. to San Francisco and the car worked flawlessly. Since I was planning to go around San Francisco by walking and taking public transportation (hard and expensive to find parking around downtown and Fisherman's Wharf) I decided to drop off my car at a parking lot with attendants that move the car around the lot as needed. They also leave the key inside the car. When I picked up my TCH 4 days later I noticed that the hybrid battery was almost completely drained (1 purple bar) and it took 50 to 60 miles of freeway driving for the gas mileage to go from low 20s to low 40s, low 40s being my normal average under regular freeway driving conditions. Even when I didn't drive my hybrid for a few days the hybrid battery never drained before, so my strong suspicion is that the #$%*ing attendant forgot to turn the switch off and since the key was left inside the car, the car was running the whole time. I love this car and am planning to keep it for many many years (my last Camry, which I have owned for almost 18 years, has 235k miles and still runs strong). Does anybody know what the potential impact is of leaving the car running for several days? Will this shorten the life of the hybrid batteries or should I worry about other components going bad? This is my first hybrid, so still learning all the "ins and outs". Extremely impressed with the car. Thanks. :mad:
    What most likely happened was that it ran at idle for a while before they turned it off. That will run down the battery, such as sitting in crawling-along traffic will do.

It ABSOLUTELY did NOT run for 4 days. If it had, the gas engine would have started dozens if not hundreds of times while idling, to recharge the battery. You would have come back to a fully charged battery with a lot less gas in the engine.

Having a 2007 TCH which just ran out of warranty on 5-31-2012, I have confidence that your battery is just fine.

Happy Hybriding !!!
    :shades:
  • hcprohcpro Member Posts: 1
    Mine has NEVER gotten above 60% and often has only two purple bars. It dramatically reduces mileage. When the charge is high (as it rarely is) I get ~ 50mpg. When it's low (as it usually is) I get 33mpg. Does this mean I have something that needs to be either adjusted, fixed or replaced? Anyone?Anyone??? :(
    If 'twere me, I'd take it in and have the dealer test the system.
  • gfr1gfr1 Member Posts: 55
    Are you sure about the Hybrid Aux. 12v battery being AGM? I've checked with Toyota sales & service and couldn't find anyone that knew what an AGM battery was. They assured me that it was a standard water flooded car battery. Now the main battery is, sort-of. I guess it's actually a form of gel-cell. Toyota's internet information calls it a standard wet-cell battery. I'm interested in the facts, because I am in the process of buying a battery charger and maintainer charger. I want to get a charger for AGM type, if that applies, but what I've learned so far, it doesn't. Your comment is the only one I've seen that indicates that. Of course Optima now builds a AGM battery for the ver. 3 Prius, as a replacement, due to battery deficiencies, but that doesn't address the Camry issues, nor Camry fitment. Anyway, I'm guessing that it wouldn't fit a Camry.
    edited August 2012
    I checked out The Optima battery sold by my local Costco and it will fit. It is the 34/78 Redtop with dual post configuration. see http://www.optimabatteries.com/_media/documents/specs/34_78_082304.pdf.

Width and depth are the same as the Panasonic, but height is a little shorter. You will need to use the optional spacer that comes with the battery. Measure your battery size before you go in to buy one and check for yourself.

The Panasonic 12 V battery that came in my 2012 Camry hybrid is rated 57 Amp Hours at 20 amp discharge rate. Unfortunately, the Optima is only rated 50 Amp Hours at 20amps, so that is probably why it is not listed as a direct replacement. However, It would certainly work, but with 12% less capacity. See yellow top below for Prius.

I have read several places the TCH has an 12V AGM battery, but nothing from Toyota directly. Many people blame the cost of the battery on it being an AGM type.

I looked up the Optima Prius battery. It is a yellow top deep cycle battery. http://www.optimabatteries.com/battery_selector/
    Looks like it will fit Camry and has a 66 amp hour capacity, so it is big enough.
  • snaab93se1snaab93se1 Member Posts: 69
    Almost positive the battery is AGM type and the original is produced by Panasonic. More information of this type of battery and options to replace it on greenhybrid link below:
    http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f49/12-volt-battery-replacement-upgrade-2007-- toyota-camry-hybrid-photos-23466/
  • gfr1gfr1 Member Posts: 55
    Thanks for the response and good reference. But, I retain my doubts, as is referenced in a 2012 Camry Hybrid manual. (Copy/Paste)

Hybrid Synergy Drive Component Locations & Descriptions
    -5-
    Component
    12 Volt Auxiliary Battery 􀁮
    Trunk Passenger Side
    A lead-acid battery that supplies power to the low voltage devices. ©
    Hybrid Vehicle (HV) Battery Pack 􀁯
    Trunk Area, Mounted to Cross Member and Behind Rear Seat
    244.8 Volt Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery

Notice it says that the 12v is a "lead-acid" battery. Recognizing that "lead acid" is pretty generic, I looked it up. Below is a "how to tell" statement from a battery article

Read the battery label. Liquid--or flooded--lead acid batteries will say "lead acid," "wet cell," "flooded lead acid" or "liquid lead acid" on the label. Gel-filled lead acid batteries will say "Gel-Filled" on the label. AGM lead acid batteries will say "AGM" or "Absorbed Glass Mat," "sealed regulated valve," "dry cell," "non-spillable," or "valve regulated" on the label.

So, why is this such a mystery? Further, I checked with one of Fort Worth's prominant dealer sales & service and they didn't know what an AGM battery was! Their considered sales authority went out to look and said that it appears to be a standard lead-acid & recited: Gp 26, Pansonic 240412, 20HR57AHCCA450B26JIS. He didn't designate spaces, but trying to read through this, from what looks familiar to me, it probably is a standard lead-acid.

Opinions?
  • khairikhairi Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my 07 Toyota Camry Hybrid New January 2007 and I haven’t had any problems out of it. Last week it reached 100k miles and I haven’t got a new battery yet & was wondering about how long is the battery life for this car?
  • alx0199alx0199 Member Posts: 2
    My car battery died at 101000 on my 07 Camry hybrid last year I ordered in July and they got it in September. They battery cost about 5000 use and I believe 300 to put it in. 2 years ago the actuator was leaking and I paid 2800 use to have It replaced and I just took it in yesterday because the check vsc light came in and the actuator Is leaking. Only 1 year guarantee. They want to charge 2800 to have it replaced again.
  • alx0199alx0199 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry it's usd not used
  • southcalimacksouthcalimack Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all, i own an09 tch and i love it. The only problem thus far is the customer service. I say this because only once have i called them with a problem, and i was lied to. My traction battery got drained, and the tech's at toyota swore to me that it was virtually impossible for the battery to be charged anywhere but at the shop. The Toyota shop, with a bill of over $200. Has anyone run into this issue, and how was the problem solved. I am going to make a utube video on how to fix this AT HOME.
    I am just doing a bit of research to see what other TCH owners did.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It doesn't take much to get to a $200 repair bill. Did they do anything other than charge the battery? What kind of ideas do you have to take care of this at home? Be sure to let us know how it turns out!
  • larryhcamlarryhcam Member Posts: 1
    southcalimack , The HV traction battery (Ni-Cad cells) pack has 202 to 245 DC VOLTS when not running. Disconnect 12 volt battery and pull orange bus breaker in trunk. 1000 volt electrical gloves& a volt meter set for 1000 volt setting while testing connections before removing covers or connections on the HV Battery. Do NOT remove any covers or electrical connections without understanding the HIGH VOLTAGE system. The high voltage system is Dangerous. $200 may be a fair price to diagnose, check out the car and charge the main traction battery.
    I replaced my original 2007 Hybrid Camry 12volt (computer & system) car battery a year ago with an Exide -
    AGM 24 series. Performed well until 2 weeks ago when car sat for 8 days. Started OK for short trip but battery was too weak to power up computer next day. Charged battery for approx 2 days to 13.0 volt - held 12.8 when installed. Battery down to 12.0 after a week.Display shows charge voltage of 12.3-13.3 while running. I have not seen any voltage above 13.3v. No codes thrown.