Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Highlander Hybrid Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    cdptrapcdptrap Member Posts: 485
    I will go to the local dealer and take a look to see if they still have them, what brand and how much. Stay tuned....
  • Options
    mmreidmmreid Member Posts: 88
    I had exchanged the second row seatcover that was way too tight that I had gotten at Petsmart (and labeled for the Highlander - Medium) for a Large and that fits just fine for my purposes. It's very easy to install - you remove the headrests and pop the cover on. My nephew and I did it in about 30 seconds and I think by myself would take a minute. The Large says it fits SUV bench seats 54 to 56 inches and costs $40.00. I only need it for times when my pooch is in the car and this will work just great. I might go for the more expensive one if I had ice cream eating toddlers in the back! This one is like a slipcover for the seat back part and sort of like a fitted sheet for the bench part. It's labeled washable and water resistant and it's a tannish gold that matches the vehicle and the interior.

The funny part was my nephew and I tried it on, said okay, this fits, took it off just as my husband and the dog came outside and the dog promptly jumped in the vehicle and up onto the seat as soon as the cover was off! Oh well.

mmreid :)
  • Options
    jslatejslate Member Posts: 25
    It sounds exactly like the one I bought there. We leave ours on all the time, as the dog goes everywhere I go (except to work) and we rarely ever have anyone else in the car but my wife and I. I think it looks quite good, too. Glad you found one to fit.

Jim
  • Options
    nomorebenznomorebenz Member Posts: 109
    If the Kluger Hybrid has a RV camera option, Why can't we? I'm tempted to buy a camera and plug it in to see if it recognizes it.
    BTW it has HID lamps too.
  • Options
    Nomore - check out this link.

http://www.coastaletech.com/hybrid_highlander.htm

Jim
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    It's annoying to a lot of people but Toyota does things in its own sweet time on its own schedule. A lot of things that appear in one model Navi ( Camry, Highlander, etc ) aren't available on all models ( RAV? ).

Things such as the RV camera on navi-equipped models seem like a natural option. I'd guess that it will be available on the next Gen Highlanders ( w/in 12 mo's? )since it's already on the Kluger.
  • Options
    Great Link Jim! Thanks!
  • Options
    Domestic companies used to (still are??) excel at such annoyance. They would deliver a good strong engine but skim on reliability in other areas. Or they would deliver a good interior, but sound-proofing or the engine or the tranny were lousy. Getting a "perfect" combination was like pulling teeth. There was no joy in spending the money.

We switched to Toyota after finding its product always came "complete", at least for our needs. The right combination of engine performance, comfort and safety and little considerations that made us happy to have bought the product.

The HH is the first Toyota model we have that seems to be "incomplete". Given the VDIM will not work properly without proper inflation, it is simply brain-dead to not have tire monitor as standard equipment. In a $42K car no less! The cheap useless stock Goodyear Integrity is another foolish offering. Cheap tires on a $42K SUV? Giving a hi-pref car soft wobbly handling? it is like putting bicycle wheels on a Ferrari. Finally, the reverse-CAM should be an option as well, although we are less irritated by this miscue.

I hope that as Toyota gets bigger, it does not join our domestic companies by under-delivering on promises. Toyota needs to stay on its path to current success, which is to over-engineer and over-deliver.
  • Options
    cdptrap knows where I'm coming from. This is a high tech car for a high tech price with low tech refinements.
    This car attracts the techie buyer, it needs to fulfill the techie expectations.
    I would have given up the leather, the sun roof, the spoiler for more tech convenience and safety. Things like auto door locks, voice nav without the speed lock out, third row air bags and yes a RV camera.
    This feeling regarding cost and expectations is the same reason why I have one less Mercedes. For the price, the service and finish has fallen over the years.
    BTW Mercedes is the same with the VDIM story. The ESP light comes on when the tires are underinflated. Hopefully this car does the same.
    I purchased this car knowing that similar to a computer, there will be a better one next year. With a computer though, at least you are getting what is currently available.
    Let's see what the future brings.
  • Options
    My own impressions of the HH is that it's a tagalong to the 400h.

There is a lot indicated above that might be improvements for this vehicle for the majority of drivers, however thisvvehicle was intended for the high performance driver ( Lexus ) not the majoritity of us.

In the next iteration, I hope, the HH will address a lot of these concerns and desires; FE, conveniences, safety, etc. in place of performance.
  • Options
    "Things like auto door locks..."

I believe this is one of the things that can be changed by the dealer.

Jim
  • Options
    The auto door locks have been researched extensively. This option does not exist in the current programming as confirmed by a post from a technician. The i-guide is wrong, sorry.
  • Options
    dsharpenerdsharpener Member Posts: 2
    I have been following this board since Oct 2005 and have found it very informative. In February I purchase a HH FWD and have about 2000 miles on it. I have had Toyota's before and expect more pleasant experiences with this one. I purchased the HH because it had the space I needed, the towing capacity I wanted, and delivered FE I could live with.

Now that I have this rolling computer controlled battery charger with a huge high voltage battery pack, I would like to figure out a way to use it as a limited AC power source. It would be useful to have AC power available for some of my equipment used for work and during blackouts to keep the beer cold. (I suspect that when Toyota makes a pick up truck available it will come with this option.) Any suggestions?
  • Options
    It would be useful to have AC power available for some of my equipment used for work and during blackouts to keep the beer cold. (I suspect that when Toyota makes a pick up truck available it will come with this option.) Any suggestions?

This is specifically the reason for the new Tundra hybrid early next year. All will come with fridges plugged into the main battery pack for tailgating, camping and cold water refreshment at the job site at the end of the day. ;) Cheers.
  • Options
    Khdspyder,
    I just spied an announcement that Toyota already has a 2-mode tranny for the hybrids and will be shipping that with new V8 Lexus. Looks like the Tundra will use same to become a real-life 4x4 capable gas-electric hybrid. Whooaaa!!!

GM is still mucking around with Mercedes on a 2-mode for the Tahoe while Toyota is about to dominate by putting similar technology into large trucks. GM is offering CA buyers gas-subsidy (1.99 a gallon) for a year if we will buy GM's current "...highly efficient..." vehicles (GM's words) such as Tahoe, Yukon and HUMMER. Do I cry or do I laugh... :)

We are cleaning up our Chevy trucks in preparation for a quick sale or trade if the Tundras meet our needs.
  • Options
    dsharpenerdsharpener Member Posts: 2
    This is different than what I have in mind. I am looking to use the HH as a power source for existing AC power equipment and fridge outside of the vehicle, not something that comes as part of the vehicle.

What happens if I hook up an inverter to the existing battery or a bank of deep cell batteries. Will it maintain the charge in the OEM battery as long as I leave the key in the run/on position? Would this be any different than parking the vehicle, with the lights on and the key in the run/on position? I would think that the computer would tell the ICE when to run to keep the battery charged as long as there was gas in the tank.
  • Options
    HI dsharpener, we did something similar to what you are describing but not powering AC equipment. The car will power up when the batteries run low as long as engine is ON. The ICE will indeed run as necessary to charge.

We were helping a friend deliver a supply of medicine to his remote home last summer. We had to keep the medicine cool in a cooler/warmer unit plugged into the 12V in the trunk. The engine was kept ON at all pit-stops on this 500+ mile trip, sometimes for as long as 30 minutes. Ambient temperature was in the 100's. The ICE came on whenever the battery level dropped to 2 bars (pink).

The supply made it OK, the car worked fine. Not sure what happens when powering AC gear though....
  • Options
    mroczkamroczka Member Posts: 11
    Is there a bike rack out there for my Highlander hybrid, I don,t have a trailer hitch on it, and it doesn,t mention anything about towing on the window sticker. Thanks Frank
  • Options
    joemizjoemiz Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone purchased a dashboard cover/mat? Did it fit? What material (carpet/velour)? Where purchased from?
    I don't want the AZ sun to ruin my dash...Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    seabizseabiz Member Posts: 1
    yes, i purchased a dashmat "signature series" which is a new material for dashmat from auto barn. it fit well and the grey color is a pretty good match.
    cath. HH AWD Base
  • Options
    chrishaneychrishaney Member Posts: 2
    Does this mean some wiring is in place?

Chris
  • Options
    fishkeeperfishkeeper Member Posts: 7
    I finally purchased my 2006 HH Limited last week. Now I need some accessories.

The first thing I need is a dog bed for the back. I could just put in a standard bed, but I was wondering if any company made mattress that would fit to the form of the vehicle. It would be nice if it came in two pieces - one to fit over the third row, and one to fit over the second row.

I also need an iPod dock. I have the Limited, so I have the JBL multi-disc system. Has anyone put in an iPod dock that they like? I'm picky about sound quality, so I'd prefer not to get one that just sends the sound through FM.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Here's what I did on my 05 Highlander Limited no NAV...Don't know if this will work with the Hybrid or not. Do you have the NAV system?

ipod adaptor info
  • Options
    fishkeeperfishkeeper Member Posts: 7
    No, I don't have a NAV system. The JBL system that comes with it has a 6-disc internal change, which I hope won't be a problem.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    The JBL system that comes with it has a 6-disc internal change
    Mine has the JBL 6 disc also, check out the adaptor i used, it works out real well. If you need any help let me know
  • Options
    sbgirlsbgirl Member Posts: 22
    My husband installed the Harman Kardon Drive + Play Total iPod Controller in mine. The iPod connecter is in the glovebox so that I can lock it. The display and the controller are next to the radio. So I have 2 CD modes...one for the 6 disc changer and one for the iPod. He found instructions online where somebody had taken apart the console to install satellite radio. Everybody says it looks like it is part of the dash, luckily my interior is gray.
  • Options
    helengahelenga Member Posts: 3
    I took my 2007 Hybrid Highlander back to the dealer yesterday to have them install a moon roof. The installation also disabled all interior lighting - with I was told was normal - and my auto keylock system (the one on my keys). This doesn't make sense to me, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced such issues?
  • Options
    I wouldn't accept having the interior lighting disabled.

The door switches are connected to the lights, so it makes sense that you can have both not working. But it still doesn't make sense that they would be forced to disable the lights.

Hopefully someone else here can give you more precise information that you can use to explain to the dealer what they did wrong. All I know is that the OEM moonroof does NOT disable the interior lighting.
  • Options
    No competent installer, and certainly no competent Toyota dealership, will ever install anything that can disable the interior lights and the auto-key. If that were truely the expected side-effect, they would have told you and asked you to sign a release. This is insane! If they did not tell you beforehand and you signed no release, then they are responsible for repairing it. This is absolutely insane!

It sounds like you have been had.

Disabling part of the electrical system could mean voiding the warranty. That is a real big deal if you need warranty coevered service some time down the road.

I suggest you call Toyota to find out the truth and inform them which dealership did the work. Then you should inform the dealership and insist they fix this problem. You will need to keep a log of phone calls, what transpired, and hopefully written communication with the dealership in case they want to drag this through the court.

It is likely the dealership will respond before it gets too far out of control.
  • Options
    Thanks for your comments. I think part of the issue is the sales guy has closed the deal and he just wants me to go away. I did talk to the dealership again and was told someone will come out to see what is going on. Nothing firm yet on dates!! After trying to get a one year old in and out her car seat in the dark last night I decided this is not going to work.
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Look.....

What the others have said above, is correct, it is certainly insane what you have been told by the dealership.

Monday morning, call the dealership, ask to speak to the General Manager. Do not let them inquire as to why, or pass you to someone else. If he is not there, leave a voice message, nicely asking him to return your phone call. Speak to no one else until he returns your call. Explain to him exactly what you were told, and by whom. Tell him (nicely) you expect him to make the situation right. ;)
  • Options
    So I was able to coordinate with the contractor. They came out to my house, took the car away for a day and got the interior lighting and the key system working again. So two days later I'm heading to NC for a business trip and stopped to get gas. I can't get the flap that covers the gas cap to open.....its electrical and not working anymore.

So I call the dealership and get the service manager. He tells me that it's nothing to do with the moonroof install and to get to a Toyota dealership to get it checked out. I quickly gave up on him, and with my wireless internet connection found the number of the contractor and call them. Thankfully they had a small shop in the town I was in and close enough I could get there on gas fumes. I give them the car and five minute later they come back to tell me switches behind the dashboard were unplugged from the last attempt to fix it.

I'm certainly not impressed with the service of the dealership or the workmanship of the contractor. But at least they took responsibility and helped get it resolved.

So now I'm wondering whatelse is messed up and how much longer before I find something else that doesn't work :-(
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Psychologists call that "Projection". ;)

Bad things happen sometimes, but no use spending time worrying about something beyond your control, eh? :)
  • Options
    Very happy to hear it is finally resolved.

I would suggest two important checks. First is the ALL IMPORTANT safety inspection. Second is something that can severely impact your gas mileage.

First, I suggest giving your HH a thorough standard "Safety" inspection. Safety refers to all exterior lights (headlights, blinkers, etc), wipers (front/back and pumps), all interior lights (both modes - auto and manual) and the LED display at the bottom of the Speedometer. Cycle through all the modes of that LED display.

Also inspect the "Test" lights (Brake, Engine, VDIIM, etc) that come on when you first turn ON the car. They should all come on and then go off as usual. If one does not come ON at all, something is wrong.

Move the exterior adjustable side mirrors to make sure they still work.

Turn on A/C and heater to make sure they work, especially the Defrost mode. Try the different vents to make sure air is directed to the right vent. Switch to Interior air to be sure it does recirculate. If you have outside mirror heating defrost, check that too to make sure they still work.

Work the power seat if you have that to make sure all adjustments are still functioning.

Turn on seat warmer if you have that to make sure it works. Check the Lighter plug, the power outlets under front center console and in the trunk to make sure they have power when car is ON.

If you have the NAV, turn on the screen and check the energy flow diagram to make sure it still works as before and the Map shows up when you drive.

After that, check the Stereo system to make sure it still works in all modes. This is important too if you are stuck on the road in Winter and need important weather or road condition info.

If all these are functioning, then your HH is in decent shape. If nothing else, at least you know the "vital" functions are fine and you will not be stuck in the wrong place at the wrong time in the wrong weather.

Just as Important
    If they unplugged the 12V battery during installation of the roof, your "Idle Speed" system may need to be reset. Please have a new, more competent, dealership do that for you. If the Idle Speed controller or whatchamacallIt is not reset, the gas engine will run more often and longer than usual resulting in much lower gas mileage.

I hope I did not miss anything :). Good luck and Safe Driving!
  • Options
    sxnhesxnhe Member Posts: 4
    I would like to add running boards to my HH. Has any body installed them on your HH by a Toyota dealer? From another hybrid vehicle forum, I learnt that there might be a problem with the high voltage cable inside the rocker panel.
  • Options
    kris120807kris120807 Member Posts: 2
    Can the dealer replace the non-navigation system with the factory navigation system in my 2008 Highlander Hybrid? Now that I have the one without navigation I'd like to get it installed if possible.

Got the vehicle yesterday and love it - but am having a bit of regret for not getting the navi.
  • Options
    desertfox1desertfox1 Member Posts: 80
    MUCH better of buying a seperate 3rd party Nav system - Garmin, Tom-Tom, etc. Easier and cheaper to update. Their TOTAL cost is the same as a updated DVD for an existing Toyota Nav system.
  • Options
    kris120807kris120807 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. That's exactly what I did and I agree. Checked with the dealer and a factory system isn't available separately even if I wanted to buy it. :P
  • Options
    scottakscottak Member Posts: 1
    I would like to install a tachometer on my 2006 Highlander Hybrid non-Limited 4WD, not because I need it to improve operation of the vehicle, but just because I’m curious. (I’m an engineer. You know how we are.) The tach I have is a 2-1/16” dia, 6000 RPM VDO. The instructions that came with the tach show connecting it to a coil, an alternator, or an “engine control module”, for the signal input. There is no single coil on this vehicle, nor is there an alternator. There is, of course, an “engine control module” but where to connect to it for a signal the tach can use is a mystery.

I have the factory repair manuals (all four volumes) and the factory electrical wiring diagram for this vehicle, and have looked extensively for clues on where I might be able to find a usable signal. I though the “IGF” signal from the 6 ignition coils to the Hybrid Vehicle Control ECU (HVCECU) should work, but when I hook the tach to this, the tach does nothing. In the volume 1 repair manual, on page ES-9, the engine control system diagram shows a line going from a “TACH” connection on the HVCECU to the Data Link Connector 3 (DLC3) (Also labeled D3 in the connector list). “TACH” sure sounds like it would mean tachometer. However, I positively cannot find this HVCECU “TACH” connection shown in the wiring diagram, and therefore can’t determine which wire I need to tie in to. I’m stuck, at a loss, confounded, stumped, flummoxed. I’m in need of assistance from someone with more knowledge of this really complex engine control system, and also, perhaps, knowledge of tachometers. Or, someone who just happens to know where in this system I can get the needed signal. Help! And thanks!
  • Options
    newsman2newsman2 Member Posts: 4
    A note of caution. Delaer installed NAV systems do not have voice activated capability, and they do not support hands free answering Bluetooth capability. So, if you are interested in these features, know that you will not have access to them unless your system is factory installed. Apparently, Toyota doesn't have a microphone for the dealer installed system to handle the voice activation duties. This was my sad realization after I bought my 08 HH ( Base Model ) with NAV system ordered..Dealer refuses to help, Toyota won't return my calls. Buyer Beware!
  • Options
    jhodeajhodea Member Posts: 1
    I just bought this HH yesterday, I want the limited but it's way beyond my budget plus those "extras" are not really important to me except for the fog lights because I live in Chicago.

Is anyone aware if we can install fog lights? thanks!
  • Options
    eagle21eagle21 Member Posts: 26
    Hi, I just wanted to see if anyone here did a HID installation on their Toyota Highlander Hybrid. I am curious to see if it has been done or not. And also I see that they have the daytime running lights. Is there a way to disable them? It would be great to hear any ideas.

Thanks...
  • Options
    monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    I purchased after market fog lights from blinglights.com
    They said they would fit into the "holes" for the factory fog lights, but I do not know. It has been too cold to install them myself, and I haven't had a chance to take them in to a shop to have it done.
  • Options
    sebemismnusasebemismnusa Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone looked at if installing a higher flow exhaust system, mostly likely a higher flow muffler offers any improved gas mileage benefits for Toyota Highlander Hybrids? My hybrid is a 2006 front wheel drive.

Regarding previous posts, for a "tachometer", the Scangauge II displays engine rpms when the ICE is running (it shows zero when in electric only mode). It is really simple to install, just plugging into the OBD-II connector.

At a Super Walmart Center store, I found fog lights that fit into the holes on my 2006 HH. They work fine.
    End
  • Options
    pflovepflove Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if it is possible or feasible to modify the '07 Highlander Hybrid with the EV system introduced into the HH 08? This is the feature that causes the vehicle to use the batteries instead of engine as much as possible, given the right temperature and battery charge--yielding improved mileage.
  • Options
    randlarsonrandlarson Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me how well the bluetooth option works on the Highlander, in particular the Highlander Hybrid? I want to know if it is easy to hear, does the incoming call startle you? Is it easy to make calls?

I have been driving Volvos for the last 7 years and they have all had the Volvo bluetooth unit, which I think is made by Motorola. It's fantastic. It doesn't have all features, such as I have to make a different address book for the car. It doesn't read or load the addresses from the phone. But I hear that some units startle you when a call comes in. Is this the case on the Toyota unit? In the Volvo, music fades down then a nice lady from Sweden announces the call then there is a ringing sound. And it understands my voice commands very well.

Can anyone tell me about the Toyota unit? Or would I be better off putting a third-party stereo with bluetooth in? I saw that the Toyota unit doesn't have a full ipod compability. Most 3rd party units from folks like Pioneer do a great job of both ipod integration and bluetooth for handsfree calls.

Thanks.
  • Options
    atuchanatuchan Member Posts: 3
    I am not an owner of the Highlander but I was curious about the same question.

Since Toyota canada offers Highlander with HID option, I would suppose that you can purchase genuine Highlander HID light assembly from Toyota Canda and install them into your car w/o too much problem (such as alignment and convergence of light, high temperature, etc..).

I googled to see if I could find more information about Toyota Canada genuine parts (price, etc..) but could not find good sites. I am sorry about that.
  • Options
    wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    You simply would not believe how complex the task might be to install factory HIDs after the fact, unbelievability complex. Starting at the rear suspension's vehicle heighth detection and wiring, not to mention the auto-leveling ECU under the dash.

There is little choice but to go aftermarket.
  • Options
    brandoshidobrandoshido Member Posts: 10
    anyone know where i could find pieces to replace the tacky wood grain trim pieces to a piano black type trim? I cant find anything anywhere.
This discussion has been closed.