Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    carlmoore3,
    I apologize for you concerns and frustrations. Can you please email me with your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into your situation more. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • carlmoore3carlmoore3 Member Posts: 2
    I have to go in to the dealership in the morning to remove the led dome lights and replace them with the factory ones, They are telling me that could be causing my problems now, which I don't see how that is causing the problem either. It seems they are guessing what the problem is since they released the vehicle after saying it was the hid headlights and I only made it a few miles up the road before loosing the accelerator pedal plus the other issues. I told the service department that i also needed a truck to drive for work and other everyday purposes, that's why i purchased one, but they said Enterprise didn't have one. They have me in a Chevy Aveo at the moment. I will have to speak the service manager in the morning. Also I don't see why I have to go to the dealership and have to do these simple light bulb changes without getting charged. I live over an hour away from the dealership and this will be my forth trip to the dealership which also brings me to my other concern, I took my truck to Parkway Chevrolet in Tomball, TX which is the closest to my house. I took it in on a Wednesday when the truck was acting up when i was driving it. the service person told me I would have to leave the truck and they might be able to look at it on Friday but no guarantee and it would probably be another week before it was finished. I said that was fine but I would need a vehicle to drive, he asked me if I purchased from them and I said no. He told me that they don't give vehicles to drive I would have rent one or to take it to the dealership that I purchased it from they might give me one. I told him that I didn't feel safe driving the truck but I could not rent a vehicle either. I asked if I could just bring it back on Friday but he said I would loose my place in line. This bad customer service is why I didn't purchased from Parkway Chevy since I experienced problems with them back in 2007 when Purchased my 2007 Silverado, that's why I went to Landmark Chevy. Ive purchased from Robbins Chevy before that's why I went back there for my 2011 Silverado. Ive only had my truck for about 3 weeks now and if I can't have this problem solved I will not be confident driving this truck since I do have to drive an hour to work everyday not to mention it is a $43,000 truck.
  • nljewellnljewell Member Posts: 21
    It seems when that in the process of putting my starter back on the positive terminal post had loosened up and wasn't getting a good connection causing the short. Even though they didn't have to Advance Auto Parts replaced my battery twice free of charge so a big thanks to them, it took me some time to figure this mess out it ended up not costing me a thing. Hope this helps someone in the future.
  • wingnut58wingnut58 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Chevy 1500 with the 5.3 liter. It has 33,000 miles on it and I just got it about 2 months ago. I have had two occasions where I get in it in the morning and turn the key and it there is absolutely no power. After a jump it starts right up, even after shutting it off soon after the jump it starts no problems. Few weeks later, same deal. The dealer checked the battery and said it's good and they thought a relay may have stayed on. No problems for 4-5 weeks then my wife drives it and shuts it off at the gas station, she goes to start it and turns the key, no power, turns key off then on again and gets a slow labored turn over of the engine, turns key off for about a minute and again turns the key forward and it fires up like nothing was ever wrong. Battery cables are attached securely, is this a starter issue, ignition issue, or what? Thanks for any input.
    wingnut58,
    I would recommend asking the dealer to involve technical assistance. Please feel free to email me with any further questions comments or concerns. I hope this helps your situation, I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • jano5jano5 Member Posts: 1
    I just notice the exact same problem with my 2004 GMC.How did You fix it? Please help me!
  • ggosseggosse Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Silverado. It has 73 000 km on it. At 40 000 km, I noticed a slip in the transmission. That is, when you start from a complete stop, there is a hesitation. I took it to the dealer (it was still under warranty) and said this was normal. This continues to occur. I have seen many posts with people experiencing the same issues. This year, my speedometer has gone wonky, going up to 120 km/h while I am just starting off; the tack has gone down to zero while driving on the highway. Finally, my driver's side window has been going down on its own over night, but not all the time. First couple of times, thought I left it down, but since we have insured it was up prior to leaving it for the night. Anyone else have similar issues? I am going back to the dealer in the morning to see what they have to say. Any advice?
  • chevytruck2chevytruck2 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2010 Silverado 1500, My electrical problems started with the passenger window functioning on randomly in 2003. I thought it was because I left the window open when it rained. Then noises from behind the glove compartment, Then the fan/AC would stop working ( for three years I was able to take the keys out and restart the truck and the AC would work. now It works went it wants to. Now, water won't shoot out of the wipers, it makes the sound as if the blinker is on (the sound stops when I put my foot on the brake) the radio turns off sometimes.
    I don't know but I'm thinking of replacing the relay to see if that helps.
    Has Any one had these problems?
    chevytruck2,

Were you planning on having the vehicle diagnosed? Please keep us posted when the issues have been taken care of. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us directly.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Could you clarify those years you posted? Would seem impossible to have a 2010 truck that has had problems since 2003. :)

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • labeldtlabeldt Member Posts: 1
    Have you gotten any of this resolved? My husband recently had a similar experience with his airbags deploying on a gravel road in a 08 Chevy silverado and Chevy says that the pickup is only designed for paved roads ?!?!. We are going to have to have our insurance company pay but he is concerned about it happening again.
  • matthewwwwmatthewwww Member Posts: 3
    2004 6 cylinder Silverado with 120,000 miles on it. Had a tune up at 96,000, new battery, points& distributor at 108,000.

Engine light came on and the error was "Random Misfire" The injectors were cleaned but didn't solve it. Cylinder 1 misfires at 1800 rpm (60 mph). A pressure test was done on the injectors and 5 of them came out at 13.9 and the misfire cylinder was 13.7.

Problem not fixed.
    Mechanic said one idea would be to replace the injector on #1 ($500) but could not be sure that would solve it.

Any ideas??
    Thanks
  • matthewwwwmatthewwww Member Posts: 3
    labeldt,

I apologize for the problems you have experienced with your air bag. Have you spoken with GM Customer Assistance? Please keep me posted on any information.

Thank you,
  • jhollis716jhollis716 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem with mine it's an 08 z71 5.3Lt
    It's been to the dealer 3 times and they cant find out whats wrong with it. I need help and suggestions?
    jhollis716,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me directly with your VIN and complete contact information? I would like to speak with your further regarding your concerns.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • bad_horsiebad_horsie Member Posts: 2
    Next week we will be taking our truck to the dealer to have it checked out. Prior to taking it in, I wanted to see what others with similar experiences have found.

Early this year we fell in love with and purchased a loaded 2009 LTZ Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 that was Certified by the dealer. I would say 95% of the miles I have put on the truck are highway miles to and from work (40+ miles one way).

Of a morning, usually at my second traffic stop, I am almost certain there is a very brief flicker of the headlights. Several afternoons when I have exited the expressway, it feels like the temperature of air from the a/c changed warmer then cooled back off. Off and on I have heard chimes but they have usually been of an afternoon in traffic so I have not been able to see what was being displayed. Last week I heard the chimes numerous times over several days. I was finally able to see the message being displayed was that the parking assist was turned off. I did not turn it off and was unable to get it to come back on. This week it seems to be on and working.

Over the weekend my wife and I made a trip. During the trip we noticed the a/c blower speed slowed down then sped back up. I was surprised when the cruise control turned itself off at least twice on our return trip.

Monday and Tuesday I heard the chimes again when I made full stops for traffic lights when I was almost home. The message displayed this time was stating the stabilitrack was off. Today it seems to be working.

Today, Wednesday, a few miles short of my house, I am certain my a/c briefly turned off and on similar to the flicker of lights of a morning. While discussing everything with my wife and mother-in-law, my mother-in-law said she noticed the a/c problem every time she has been in the truck including as soon as I bought it (thanks for telling me).

IN addition, I do not believe I am getting the kind of mileage I should be getting for the truck. As I said earlier my driving is mostly highway. Of an afternoon I am in traffic but able to move at 65 - 70 mph the entire time. I have installed a Magnaflow exhaust and a Jason bed cover on the truck to try to increase the miles per gallon. Each tank of gas used, I have averaged between 14 and 16.5 mpg. On our recent trip, driving about 73 mph, I averaged 16.6 mpg strictly highway. I feel this is a lot less than I should be getting.

Years ago I used to be a big Chevy fan until in the 80's GM changed transmission design. Once I had to start having transmission rebuilt I started buying other brands of vehicles. This was the first Chevy I have bought in quite a few years. I hope the electrical problem on the truck is minor. Until these problems started happening we really loved the truck. We liked this truck so much we recently bought a 2011 Chevy Convertible Camero RS (Bumble Bee).

While I am on here, are there any more rumors about GM building a truck to compete with Ford's Raptor? (A good friend just bought a Raptor and I'm thinking a head to my next vehicle).
    bad_horsie,
    Can you please email me your complete contact information and your VIN? I would like to look into this further. I do recommend getting it into your dealer. I look forward to your response. Have a great weekend!

Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • biggabbiggab Member Posts: 1
    2000 Chevy Silverado. I hit a brick wall and and the air bags didn't go off. GM sent out a investigator to check the computer and after about three weeks they said. i did not hit in a specific area of the truck even though certain parts of the frame was severed off. they said if it was life threatening then i would need a attorney. that was it no appologies case closed .what kind of stuff is that. if youre in a silverado and your in an accident make sure you hit just right. it could cost you your life property damage as well as what ever else may be in the way.
  • bad_horsiebad_horsie Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Electrical Gremlin Removed

We took our 2009 Chevy Silverado to the dealer yesterday. What they found was high resistance in both battery cables. They replaced both of them under the GM warranty. (We did not have to pay anything). Today I did not experience any of the issues I saw over the last couple of weeks.

Our experience with Gunn Chevy on IH 35 in San Antonio has been great. The sales staff treated us like professionals. There was no game playing like some dealerships. Other than an oil change, this was the first trip to their service center. Again, we were treated like professionals and explained everything to us. Now if Chevy would just build something to compete with my friends Raptor ...
    bad_horsie,

I am happy the dealership has taken care of you and has found the problem! If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,
  • carolyn28carolyn28 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevy Z71 - Alittle history first- the AC compressor has been going out so AC only works partial - it is turned off and on a lot. Battery went out 2 weeks ago and it was replaced. That being said- got in truck 2 days after I replaced the battery and the truck "flipped out". The 4WD light panel started blinking and now does not light up at all. AC getting no power, the gas gauge not working and the light indicator (P R N D panel ) not lighting up, temp gauge not working. Battery warning light stays on. Radio is working, dash backlighting is on, battery volt gauge works and oil gauge works. Speedometer/RPMS gauge works.
    I have done a system check - battery, alternator, and starter no problems - returns no codes. All fuses have been checked. Volt regulator checked. Any suggestions????
  • savvy5000savvy5000 Member Posts: 2
    The other day my wife and I took are dog to the vet it was raining here pretty bad, it was raining all day we were in the vet for about a half hour after the vet we were on our way back to the truck I had started it with the remote start no problem. We got in the truck started backing out of the vet's the door locks started to unlock and lock I thought the dog was hitting the door button, I asked my wife if the dog is touching the button and she told me no. As we started driving home the dash board lights, traction control off came on and I never touched it. We continued home the door locks started going on and off headlights flashing dash board going crazy flashing on and off truck beeping, so I pulled over and checked to see if somthing was loose I could not find anything, so we continued home every time we started to pick up speed it would start doing it again. We got home and got it in the driveway turned it off tried to set the alarm and there was no power at all, I got back in and tried to start it and nothing no power I pushed the brake pedel put it in drive and the power came back on. It has not happened for a few days now does anybody know what causes this problem
  • 08chevy07gmc08chevy07gmc Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    I started experiencing the same problems posted by savvy5000 this weekend while driving in the Texas hill country. The first indication of a problem was stabilitrack needs servicing. Then when appling the brake or using the turn signal, the radio and a/c powered down and eventually turned off. The door locks started cycling, the truck downed shifted and started hesitating at highway speeds. The truck stabilized when I stopped and put it in park. Did not want to turn it off since I was in the middle of nowhere and was afraid it would not start. I started again for home but when I used the turn signal again, the problems returned. It is now at my local dealer and they want to replace the battery cables becuase of high resistance. $600 and I'm afraid that will only be the beginning. Since reading this forum, I wonder if anyone with a truck out of warranty (68K) has had any price adjustment from GM? I'm sure they have a service bulletin on these type of problems.
    savvy5000,

Were you planning on taking the vehicle into your local GM dealership to be looked at? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    08chevy07gmc,
    I apologize for your concerns. Can you please email me with your VIN and contact information as well as a description of your experience? I look forward to speaking with you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • savvy5000savvy5000 Member Posts: 2
    I took it to my local dealership today and they told my that they wanted to replace the battery wires, and told me cause it's past my warranty that I would have to pay full price of $500 plus tax.The first time something happened and go figure my warranty is up. Wow I just think that's a little to much money to let the dealer to charge I think might just change them myself for less then half the price.

Thanks
  • rocky44asrocky44as Member Posts: 1
    i had same problem...it coincided with fuel pump replacement.after taking it to a shop ,where they replaced a bunch of sensors,relays,etc etc [all fuel related and electrical] then the problem still existed so they put all my old [and working] parts back in.my bil went from a100.00 when they started to 600 after 3 days and a dozen replacements ...then back to 200 when they put all my old parts back.FINALLY a mobile mechanic happened to come by ,and after 15 minutes he found problem...a loose wire connection from fuel pump wiring to the power source for it....5 days later it was solved.....all over a loose wire connection..IT was a relief because id be driving along fine and then a warning light on dash would appear saying loss of engine power .. my max speed would be 10-15 mph ..sometimes id get lucky by loosening fuel filter and releasing pressure,or removing positive cable overnight to reset computer ...etc etc tried a bunch of things but ...check wiring from fuel pump on top of tank .you can loosen bolts and dropit a few inches for access
  • sierraredsierrared Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 Sierra SLT 4WD with 70,000 miles. Bought new. Had to replace driver side auto dim heated outside mirror for $600. Somehow it got chipped and was leaking heating oil. At same time, replaced original battery at dealer. Another $170. Just got it home and noticed the snowflake light switch on the automatic heat/air unit doesn't light anymore. Other buttons are lit: Off, Recirc, Defrost, DeFog. If I tap it, the Defrost light next to it flickers but stays on. The AC snowflake light still doesn't come on. Is this something simple to fix, like a light bulb. I still love the truck, but would like to have the light panel working as intended. Can you advise me on this, someone?
  • hillmanbillyhillmanbilly Member Posts: 13
  • hillmanbillyhillmanbilly Member Posts: 13
    My cruise recently quit working. The orange light on the steering wheel still comes on, but the green one on the dash will not. Wondering if it's just a problem with the button, or something more serious?

Anyone got any advice?
  • cmmassencmmassen Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 LT, I have haveing ALL the SAME issues you have described. I have my truck at the dealership and they are having problems diagnoising it. Since this only happens intermittently they have not "experienced" the problem. Have you had any luck with figuring the problem out.
  • ttu1997ttu1997 Member Posts: 2
  • ttu1997ttu1997 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 GMC Sierra K2500 with the Duramax egine and I got in turn key it fired right up put it in drive and it died, put it in park turned key off then tried to start again but it would not fire up. Fuel level was fine no air in line, no kill switch etc. Had it towed to GM garage and the next day it started and ran all day no problem no codes popped up GM found nothing wrong. 5 days later got in turned key it acted as if my battery was dead and barely turned over, turned key back to off then turned to start it again and it fired right up no issues, but as I am driving I notice the AC display shows that I have both driver and passenger on and set to head & feet on 74 but I had left it as head only and 60. So I adjusted it but the driver side continued to blow only heat but passenger was blowing cold. tried several things with no result. drove to lunch same thing with ac but it started fine. got in at end of work day and it worked fine. I have 50K miles on the truck and batteries are fully charged and no corrosion on terminals. No lights on info center ever popped up.
  • jhutch2jhutch2 Member Posts: 1
    i have 2003 chevy silverodo .i am also having the exact same problem please tell me how you resovled this.
    cmmassen,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing. Could you please email Christina your VIN and current mileage? Also, please p
    rovide a description of the problems you are experiencing.

Thank you,
  • navyvet8192navyvet8192 Member Posts: 3
    Did you ever find out anything on this issue? I have the exact same problem, and my vehicle downshifted from drive to a lower gear. I was only doing 30, but still a wake up call!
    I am having the identical issue as several other Edmunds users with my 2003 Silverado. The "Service 4WD, Service Brake System," the ABS light and Brake light on the display illuminate, and the heat shuts off. My vehicle down shifted into low by itself and almost got me killed in traffic by being rear ended by a semi. I’ve seen on Edmunds several ineffective attempts to resolve the issue, and would like to know if there is a definitive fix. Any assistance you may be able to provide would be most appreciated.

Glenn Hoilman
    ghoilman@hotmail.com
    :confuse:
  • hammiehammie Member Posts: 1
    Same issue here. I pulled the fuse and heard the system click off then back on, not sure if it helped yet. Did you learn anything about this yet?
  • twade23twade23 Member Posts: 9
    I have been having the same problem with my heating system, lights going out, engine stalling etc. I have been researching and I found this forum http://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/2008-silverado-15- 00-big-problems-29498/page3/

I have not tried yet but I will tonight. I will re post when I figure out the problem.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I see that you’re already on your way to addressing your heating concern. If Customer Assistance can be of any service to you, even by looking into any recall information for you, please email us with your name and last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
    I had 2 separate problems. The 1st was the 4WD motor/encoder, or the wiring for it. The wire support broke & the wires rubbed through on the driveshaft universal collar. Fix the wires, & changed the fuse. Good to go there. The second was the EBCM ground connection to the frame. There was bad grounds, (corroded) which was faulting out the whole ABS system. Disconnected them and cleaned both the frame spot and lugs. Rebolted them and got a friend to reset the codes with his GM scan tool and all is well with the world. I did also find my positive battery terminal crudded up. I was only reading 12.9 vdc with the truck running. I pulled the battery, and cleaned it and the cable. Now reading 14.1 vdc with the truck running. Who would have thought! :)
  • fitchon1fitchon1 Member Posts: 1
    my dash gauges do not work, then they do, then they don't, ect... when they are trying to work, the noise sounds like a computer booting up and shutting off. i have no speedo, nor RPM, NOTHING WORKS. refuse to take it to a garage, any solutions dear people?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    I'm sorry to hear about these issues - I understand from your post that you aren't interested in taking it to a dealership . If in the future you do decide to work with one of our dealers, we're here to assist in the process.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • wvgmcwvgmc Member Posts: 1
    I need help with my trucks electrical. I have a 2001 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax with 129,xxx miles. The rear running lights are no longer functioning. The truck is a cab and chassis. The best I can tell is the factory wiring runs to the rear of the truck and the bed manufacturer did the wiring on the bed using the standard trailer 7 way colored wire. I spliced into the aftermarket wiring directly after it connects to the factory wiring. There is no power from the factory running light wire. All the other wires have power and they too are inside the factory shielding. Any suggestions about how to fix the problem? Is there a fuse for front and rear? Is there an inline fuse? Can I tap into the running lights somewhere else on the truck safely? Any help would be appreciated.
  • wstgawstga Member Posts: 11
    I purchased a used 2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3. This truck was a GM certified truck. Within about 3 months of owning this truck we started having terrible electrical issues that effected all systems including the brakes and transmission.

In good faith, I took my truck to my local GM service center. Because this issue is random , it can't be duplicated on demand. Sometimes this truck will run 30 days without issue; you just never know. Because this issue is random , the dealer never could see the problem.

This electrical issue doesn't store a error code. The battery cables are clean and never get hot. All of my ground wires have been inspected. I paid $400 bucks to have the mega fuse replaced. This issue is still not resolved.

I was advised by my local GM service center to start recording this on video so the tech's could see what was going on. I was able to record 6 cases where this occured. I presented this to the service center and they were amazed. My truck stayed another week and returned to me without finding the problem.

Weeks passed and the problems occured again. Loss of brakes , door locks locking and unlocking , RPM gauge and Speedo going back and forth. I called the dealer when this occuring and they advised me to bring this in. I never could make it. I lost control and had to have this truck picked up by dealer.

For almost 3 weeks my truck stayed in the shop. They said they drove it. They said they needed more money to do advanced testing. Then they said they didn't want to test. I picked up my truck. Thankful for Edmunds.com that I see the other cases where GM is having serious safety issues.

This is where I really get disappointed with GM. My service center didn't suggest to call GM corporate. I had to find this out here on Edmunds. When I explained my concerns to GM rep, I was given such a run around. I offered to send them my video's to help show my problem. They refused and said it wouldn't help. I have been researching this far more than my local shop has. I offered them blog after blog from other Edmund posts with the same problem. "No sir , we cannot take any packages by mail or email" I was offered $2000.00 bonus on a trade for a new truck for my problems. Again I am begging for help from somebody to at least look at these videos. Am I asking too much from GM? I just want somebody to personally get involved and look at what I've got. It is amazing to me that these reps on the phone will not give you their last name , will not give you any mailing addresses , will not give you their supervisors names and will not refer you to anybody else. I felt like I had to beg for my case number. I hit a stone wall.

I finally was kicked to the curb and told they'd call me if there ever had a recall. I was told by a GM employee later "your issue will not get any technical review or futher review unless there is a accident" So now , I am stuck with a GM product , that doesn't qualify for lemon law in my state. I am stuck with a potential accident waiting to happen. This truck is what my wife and child drive to school in. All I want is some help and not to be treated like another number.

I will soon be adding my video online with hopes others might get some help.

I really hope this isn't how customers with safety concerns are treated all the time. I want GM to succeed.
  • twade23twade23 Member Posts: 9
    Hey wstga, when I was having these problems I finally narrowed it down to the incoming hot-wire connector in the fuse panel under the hood. My 08 has a removable fuse panel and under the fuse panel are some connectors and a singal spade connector as shown in the pictures. I took the spade connector out and squeezed the metal contacts together so they would make better contact with the bottom of the fuse panel and I have not had any problems since.
    This pictures is the connectors under the fuses
    This Picture shows the hot-wire connector close up. I have pointed to the metal contacts that I squeezed together to make a tighter fit. The whole connector unsnaps from the base and then you can take of the white piece which I call the keeper and the wire and connector will slide out then use a pair of pliers to squeeze it together.

I hope this helps as it did for me so good luck. Just make sure you disconnect the positive battery wire before attempting this fix.
    Thank you so much for your help. I'm posting my video's next , if they look familiar let me know. Thanks !!!
    edited December 2011
    This clip I posted sounds so much like what a lot of people are having problems with. Copy link and check it out. Looking for feedback from anybody elas that has had this problem fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDyyMKNo9_c&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
    Sounds like I have the same exact problem. Has it been resolved. I've had a terrible time dealing with GM on getting this right.