Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Electrical and Computer Questions

Comments

• Options
    gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    If the problem resurfaces we'd be happy to work with you and your dealership towards hopefully getting this resolved.
    Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    03silver150003silver1500 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2012
    I have a 2003 silverado , 137000 miles all of a suddon my abs light and parking light came on , radio died and the heater blower stop working , looked at fuses , cant find the problem any ideas. this happened once before then fixed itsself after a couple of days .
  • Options
    whatnxtwhatnxt Member Posts: 3
    Three days ago I took my wife to the store. She ran in by herself while I waited in the truck. After about ten minutes the alarm in the truck went off while I was still in it and the key was in the ignition. I quickly started the truck to turn the alarm off and as soon as it stopped I turned the truck off. To my surprise the alarm again went off within three minutes so I again started the truck up and thankfully at that time my wife showed up and we went home. When we got home, we unloaded, I set the alarm and we went inside. About ten minutes later we hear this really loud alarm, the likes of which we had never heard. I went outside to see what was going on and found that it was my truck blasting away. I ran in the house to get the keys to turn the alarm off but no matter what I did the alarm would not turn off. I finally decided that the only way to turn the alarm off would be to start the truck. Well it wasn't to be, because when I got to the door and tried to open it I found that not only did the remote not turn the alarm off but it also wasn't unlocking the doors and so I had to use the key to get in. When I finally got in and turned the truck on, the alarm stopped for ten seconds and again began to blare. At this point I put the truck in the garage and disconnected the battery and that was the only way I was able to stop the alarm. I still can't figure out what's going on and every time I connect the battery the alarm starts to blare, and the remote still won't stop anything.
    Since then I have gotten some information and have been told that it might be my BCM. All this sounds somewhat like all the other stories here. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. My truck is a 2000 Sierra 1500.
  • Options
    johnsavedjohnsaved Member Posts: 7
    I had some serious issues with ecm communicating with many things in my dash along with the ABS and 4 wheel drive controls. I started having very minor problems at about 23,000 miles when my transfer case was replaced under warranty and the windshield washer fluid heater was removed under recall. Every once in a while, usually on rainy days, the radio and the back up sensors wouldn't come on when I started the truck. It was random and if it didn't come on I found out that all I had to do was hit the CD eject button and the radio would work fine. That was April 2011. By December 2011 it had gotten seriously worse, with everything including the truck not starting. I knew it was a grounding issue, but where are all of the grounds? I got a print out of the ground locations and went after it. That's when I found that the ground on the cab mount on the frame under the drivers door was not only corroded, but it's bolt was stripped (probably from factory) and very loose. I replaced the bolt with one that I took from under the hood and all was good except for the ABS. For some reason by fixing the ground point the ABS controller pump started running non-stop. I said all that to give GM a kudos. I have had the truck into the dealer several times to try to get the issue resolved but to no avail. Now since I found the problem GM has taken the ball and run with it, even though I now have over 60,000 miles on the truck and the bumper to bumper has long run out. They have checked, cleaned and re-tightened ALL of the ground points and have replaced the ABS pump at $0 cost to me. I was starting to wonder if Dodge was going to get my business but after this, GM can count on me as a loyal owner. THANKS GM!
  • Options
    Check your grounds, especially on the frame rail. Not sure where yours are but on my truck (2008 Sierra 3500) there is one under the drivers door, one on the driver side near the fuel tank and one under the passengers door. If you know someone that works at a garage and they have access to a computer auto diagnostic machine, they should be able to pull down off of the web a print out of all of your ground locations.
  • Options
    What great news! Thank you for being willing to work with us through the issue, and hopefully you'll be able to enjoy many more miles in your Sierra. If we can ever be of assistance, please get in touch.
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    twade23twade23 Member Posts: 9
    Well I had the electrical problem reoccurred again this morning. So I guess the ignition switch is not the problem. So I am now at a loss as to what the problem is back to poking around in a electrical system that only dealerships have the tools to work on anymore. The way it sounds there are a lot of people having the same problems and it is coming close to causing accidents, and it wont be long before it does cause a accident. It would seem that GM would take a more proactive approach to fixing this electrical problem, because for normal people we cannot spend hundredth's of dollars at the dealership to find a electrical gremlin that could just come back when we are already paying so dang much for the vehicle to begin with. So I think GM should start having some better QC or I am going to change to another manufacture that doesn't have these problems or tries to take care of said problems when they arise at no fault of the customer.
  • Options
    givingupongmgivingupongm Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Sarah. No apologies are necessary. It

Everything has been good since I polished the hot connection under the fuse panel with those issues. There hasn't been any flickering or dead batteries.

But now, it wont shift when placed in M. The truck drives fine in D, but it will get stuck in whatever gear its in if I shift to M.

Is there a computer that I can get reset? A transmission shift module or something like that?
    It's probably been this way since my lock-up and skid, but I haven't driven in M since then.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    I can almost guarantee that your problem is a loose or corroded ground point. The dealership just went over my truck (2008 Sierra 3500) and cleaned and tightened every one of the ground points and my electrical gremlin disappeared. Best of all, they did it post wheel to wheel warranty gratis and gave me a loaner vehicle for the day. Try to be nice to the service writer and it may pay off big.
  • Options
    I am going to have to consult our Technical Assistance Center for those questions - would you be willing to send these along with the last 8 of your VIN in an email?

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    rt44chevyrt44chevy Member Posts: 3
    I also have a 2003 chevy silverado that is having the same issue as you, but my 4 wheel drive doesn't work, and the radio does work. It seems to happen when it is cold but it has been on for 2 days now, it warmed up some and it isn't going off. Have you any luck in finding out what is causing it?
  • Options
    03silver150003silver1500 Member Posts: 2
    i did solve my mystery it was the ignition switch in the sterring column 33 $ part , small electrical device behind the key switch. when it gets worn the contacts dont tell the truck to turn on everthing . solved my problem but i dont have 4 wheel
  • Options
    Hello Sarah

I got lucky with my M mode shifting issue, there was a broken wire off the shifter arm under the rubber boot on the shifting column. I soldered that together and it works fine.

However, I need a new stereo (kids, pop, gravel road, need I say more?)
    I found a used one, its specs read the same as whats equipped in my Denali, but model numbers are different.
    Would a stereo with model #: 20785735 fit in my truck, where the stereo that came out is model #:25840249?

Theres no NAV, my truck is BOSE equipped with Rear Seat Entertainment.

If it isn't compatible, I'll remove the faceplate and exchange the parts, see if that'll work.

What would the best email be to reach you at?

Thank you.
  • Options
    topsteeltopsteel Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    5.0 liter eng.-just replaced the fuel pump and filter - now have an issue w/ starting- will start with starting fluid and run quite well- i have a 5" lt gray (dirty white) wire that looks as tho it got disconnected when i lifted the air cleaner- it comes from the large wire harness, has a 3 prong plastic clip about an inch wide and will reach into the carb barrel which doesnt make sense as there is no slot for the wire w/ air cleaner on- also it has no metal showing on clip which leads me to believe it is a sensor---what is it and where do i connect it? any insight please been at this a month THANX
  • Options
    gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    givingupongm,
    Thanking you for taking the time to post. I am glad to hear that your shifting concerns have been resolved. Please email me your VIN and the two part numbers and I will investigate that further for you. Our email address is located in my user profile. I look forward to hearing from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    Hi Christina

I was fortunate, once again, to find an easy solution.

Here in Calgary, a company called York Electronics Ltd. specializes in refurbishing GMC electronics.

They had an exact replacement radio for my truck in stock.
  • Options
    bleudobleudo Member Posts: 6
    GM customer service, I need assistance with my 2001 C2500 Sliverado. My instrument panel isn't working at all. Pretty much dead. Is there a recall or antyhing? This is a huge safety issue. If you need more info, please let me know.

thx,

Greer
  • Options
    a
  • Options
    Good morning,
    I would be happy to look into this for you if you would please get me the last 8 digits of your vehicle's VIN.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    Do you have a phone number that I can instead? thx
  • Options
    Here are the last eight digits 1z102818
  • Options
    Thank you for getting that information to me. I do see an open recall on your vehicle pertaining to the front wheel speed sensor. Would you like assistance setting up an appointment to get this taken care of? If so, please send me an email to the address in my profile here on Edmunds with your name, the name of your preferred dealership, and the best days/times for an appointment and I would be happy to get that for them.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    Sarah, Thanks for checking on that. I appreciate the offer to schedule an appointment but I'm not sure when I'll be available. I noticed that the Chevrolet Silveradoes have a lot problems with the instrument panels. Why isn't there a recall on this particular item? thx Greer
  • Options
    Happy to help. As for why there is not a recall issued on the instrument panels, I wish I could answer but I don't have any part in the decision making processes there. I would be interested to know how your recall appointment does go for you, if you ever get the chance to go in.

Although a diagnostic fee would generally be applied for a dealership to look into what is going on with your instrument panel, it might be worthwhile to ask them to look into it while you're in for the recall work.

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    jeffreyajeffreya Member Posts: 4
    Glenn,,,,or anyone else dealing with this......have you figured out a fix? my 2003 Silverado 1500 LT is doing the same thing.....I hoped to keep this truck a few more years but the ABS and brake lights have got me scared....not to mention the service 4wd message, no cruise control or heater/defroster blower
  • Options
    Sarah, this is bleudo. I called the service department of the only Chevrolet Dealership in Waycross, GA. I was told the recall was only for the brakes because of rust and that I had to live a certain state to qualify for the recall. What do I do?
  • Options
    barnowl3barnowl3 Member Posts: 70
    Sarah, Bleudo,
    I owned an '03 Sierra and I received letter stating the instrument panels were defective and GM offered to replace them if they failed before 70,000 miles, but would only pay for the parts between 70 and 80,000 miles. My friends '04 Yukon failed a few months after buying it used from a certified dealer, and as luck would have it, it failed at about 71,000 miles, so he got stuck with a $400 labor bill. After bringing the dealer my letter, they finally agreed that it was a known problem for the '04 as well, as they denied knowledge of the issue at first. Maybe this problem is not well advertised at the dealers or your database? Maybe it is the same problem with Bleudo's '01? It certainly does cause everything to go haywire when they do fail.

I would be very interested in learning of any recalls on rusty brakes.
  • Options
    barnowl3,
    Do you still have your Sierra? I can check to see if there are any open recalls on your vehicle if you wanted to get me the last 8 digits of your VIN in an email.

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    thunder3000thunder3000 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Sarah

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra SLT. My dashboard can not be trusted. Speedo, alternator and oil pressure will randomly give false readings. seats and mirrors adjust themselves. We joke that the truck is possessed.

Can you please check for recalls for me .... last 8 digits on VIN are 31190074

Thanks

Thunder3000
  • Options
    thunder3000,
    Thank you for your post. There appears to be an open recall on your vehicle for the tailgate. I would recommend getting into a dealer to take care of it. It appears this is a Canadian vehicle. If you are in Canada I would recommend contacting GM of Canada at 800-263-3777. Please feel free to email me directly.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    I wish that this had been my problem.....we replaced the same part and it didn't fix my problems. Can anyone from GM help with this issue? It is very frustrating.
  • Options
    Dealer replaced a ignition switch and ABS light went off, brake warning light went off, service 4wd message went away, cruise control works and blower motor works again
  • Options
    How is it that the dealer was able to diagnose the problem? You are the second person to have that switch replaced and it worked, mine on the other hand was replaced and it didn't fix the problem!
  • Options
    Don't know....but the diagnostic cost me $120....switch was about $40......i'm going to handle the speedometer issue myself with new stepper motors and the no high on the blower issue at a later date.....i'll let the dealer replace the resistor and plug (if it's burnt) so that if my truck burns up it will be on them......Chevy, Like a Rock.....yeah, right! and to think it was our tax dollars that bailed out this mess
  • Options
    bran164bran164 Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I'm active duty Navy and just purchased a 2008 silverado ltz(last nine of VIN: 481124518) . It currently has 71000 miles on it. I was driving down the interstate when the interior gauges, radio, door locks and temperature indicator all flashed off and cut right back on. Anytime I would use the turn signal the radio would cut off and the 'Park Assist Off' would flash on. It continued to do this the whole way home (approximately 30 minutes). I parked the truck and shut it off. Let it sit for about 30 minutes and then went to crank it up. Initially it acted like the battery was dead. I tried a second time and the truck cranked right up. I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet. Help please???!!!!
  • Options
    Good morning bran164,

Thank you for your service to our country - it is appreciated!

I checked your VIN in my systems here and do not see any open recalls; it looks as though you are out of your Certified Used Bumper to Bumper extension, but the following warranties are still in effect until the date/mileage indicated (whichever comes first):
    Powertrain Limited Warranty until 09/18/2012 or 100,013 MI
    Corrosion Limited Warranty until 09/18/2013 or 100,013 MI
    Emission Select Component Ltd Wty until 09/18/2015 or 80,013 MI

Please let us know if you decide to go in to a GM dealership to have this looked into as we're available to assist in whatever way we can.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    bran164bran164 Member Posts: 13
    Thank you for your response Sarah. With the symptoms I've given does it sound like one of my remaining warranties would cover this? I am thinking of taking my truck into a gm dealership. I work in Raleigh (zip code 27605).
  • Options
    john3lowjohn3low Member Posts: 3
    I had the same issue also on my 2006 GMC ! It's probably not the gas cap! I had the same code for 3 months and it would always reset itself after I filled up with gas. When I got down to 1/2-3/4 it would come on and you could bet on it! I finally found the problem myself!!! NO THANKS TO THE DEALER after getting HOSED by them for alot of polution [non-permissible content removed]-canisters-etc, approx.800$ worth!, it was the map sensor by the air filter! Just go and buy a can of map sensor spray, remove it, be carefull the small wires are sensative and might break, spray, and let soak, respray and use very little air to dry or let air dry!
    I found this problem, on mine was caused by my new K&N airfilter oil! Now I get another mile to the gal.
    john3low
  • Options
    Hello bran164,

I'm afraid that I don't have the technical expertise to say one way or another. Were you looking to locate a dealer in Raleigh? I'd recommend visiting the Chevrolet brand page - you can find nearby dealerships through their "Find a Dealer" tool. If we can be of further assistance, feel free to get in touch at socialmedia@gm.com

All the best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    pgallensteinpgallenstein Member Posts: 14
    Thought I would post my problem in this thread as well. I have a 2007 Sierra, 27k (new body style), when I start in up the ABS and Stabili Trak lights stay on and after a couple of seconds the Brake light will come on. I disconnected the battery cables for about 1 hour, thinking this might reset the computer but the alarms did not clear. I then took it to Advanced Auto Parts and they scanned it with their Actron CP9580 and it showed "No Code Detected." They recommended a local auto care service department which I am scheduled to take it in a few days. The truck seems to drive just fine but I am concerned about these 3 lights staying on. If anyone has any helpful information that I can pass along to the service department it would be appreciated.
  • Options
    pgallenstein,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns and experience. I would recommend speaking with your dealer of choice. Let me know how things go at the dealer. Please feel free to email me directly at SocialMedia@GM.com. Please include your VIN, and current mileage. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    burtmburtm Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 silverado VIN 3gcek233x9g248265 with 66250 miles. Tonight after a 30 min drive I stopped and turned the truck off for about 20 minutes. When I resumed my trip i noticed that the only instrument that was functioning was the volt meter. no speedometer, no tach, no change in the odometer for the entire six mile trip, no fuel gauge. the A/C, radio and engine were running fine. The only warning light was the ABS light. After two engine start and stop cycles everything seems to be back in order.

Any ideas?
  • Options
    Odd, that sounds like the problem that 2003 and 2004 had with their dashes. GM had sent us letters, but would only agree to replace the defect up until 70,000 miles. Friend had his dash replaced on his 2004 at his cost after about 72,000 miles.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Good morning burtm,

I checked your VIN to see if there were any open recalls on your vehicle, and there are not at this time. Given your mileage, you are outside of your Bumper to Bumper warranty but still within the following warranties until the date or mileage indicated (whichever comes first):
    Emission Select Component Ltd Wty until 11/30/2017 or 80,231 MI
    Powertrain Limited Warranty until 11/30/2014 or 100,231 MI
    Corrosion Limited Warranty until 11/30/2015 or 100,231 MI

If you were to decide upon visiting a dealership to have this concern looked into, please let us know as we're available to assist in the process in whatever way we can. It may be a good idea to wait until this matter occurs more frequently if you decide upon this route. There would be a diagnostic fee involved and the technicians would need to be able to duplicate the event or have engine codes to read in order to move forward in the repair process.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    I have a hard time believing that a US company with the advertising slogan "Like a Rock" that has produced trucks with basic design and components purchased with the "lowest bidder" approach would have the gall to respond in this thread. The cheap, defective stepper motors used in Chevy dashboards are a disgrace and the fact that Chevy is standing on mileage instead of stepping up and just replacing the defective parts is pathetic. Defective is defective, no matter how many miles a vehicle has on it. And to think the American taxpayers bailed GM out......next time I vote no. Clean up your mess, GM.
  • Options
    sierra16sierra16 Member Posts: 1
    I will try to explain. I have a 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4 wheel drive Z71. While driving down the road at no particular speed...could be 20 or 65mph, all das lights come on and throttle closes. Acts like a stall. After approximately 1 second, throttle re-opens and dash lights disappear and return to normal. Feels like truck stalls and restarts on its own while going down the road. I have taken the truck to a GM dealer and had a scan done and no errors are reported. Do i just wait until it dies on the road? What is causing this. Everyone seems perplexed.'

Thanks
  • Options
    sierra16,

I'm sorry to hear that your dealership was unable to duplicate or diagnose the cause behind the throttle closure you described. If we can look into this further with you, please send the following information to socialmedia@gm.com: your name/Edmunds username, phone and address, the last 8 of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Options
    Thunder 3000,
    Let me help you as I have learned that either GM Engineering or GM Management has chosen to provide very poor databases or info on the defects on these trucks to Customer Service and their dealerships. GM issued a letter approx. in 2006 by Scott Lawson, General Director, Customer Service. Dashes in 2003 and 2004 are known defects ( may apply to other years as well). In the letter GM will not replace the dash unless you had the failure occur. Likely a known electrical manufacturing defect that presents itself intermittently, so good luck if you are on vacation. They extended the warranty to 7 years or 70,000 miles. They were sued over this short coverage period and then extended the dash replacement to 80,000 miles but you pay labor. Looks like you are stuck with the bill on this one. I had to bring my letter in for my friends 2004 which he had just bought used from that same dealer to prove it and the dealer finally paid for the dash. I actually think they take the cores for rebuild ( must be they know exactly what their mfg defect was)
    One other critical safety item that GM customer service does not keep in their database is the sudden failing brake lines in 2003 and 2004, but I have heard them go back to 2000. Lines rust, but theirs rusted real fast like I have never seen in my 35 years of driving in the NE, so the improper steel composition was used. You will note they now coat their brake lines. Your first failure will likely occur above your frame rail behind the drivers front tire. Correctly engineered brake lines with steel may rust, but they will typically seep. These trucks ( and it may have only been a run of them as all don't display this) will suddenly burst, typically during a sudden or emergency stop. The dual master cylinder tends not to do what would would expect as you are left with nearly no brakes. Replace these for the sake of your safety and others. I would not trust a GM replacement, but you can get SS aftermarket. This happened to me and had it not been for a shoulder I could veer off itnto, my GMC would have been decapitated beneath a tractor trailer. This was investigated by the NHTSA in 2008/09 and then suddenly the case was closed. You will remember that Toyota had rusty frame issues around these same years and actually bought trucks back from their owners, GM unfortunately does not even want to acknowledge this safety issue existed, so although GM Sarah is trying to help, you will find she can find nothing in the records. I had received the investigation forms from NHTSA. s I guess if they just keep quiet about it, the trucks will just eventually come off the road.
  • Options
    Here is my VIN Sarah. 1GTHK29U33E176322. I am referring the brake lines that rust prematurely. I have already gone to the expense of replacing them with SS after 2 failures, so I would like to be compensated for those repairs, since the failure occurred in 4 years of ownership 30,000 miles. Though out of warranty, it seems that a critical safety item like this should have greater factor safety and not failed so early in it's design life. Luckily, I was able to run the truck off the road during an emergency stop on the highway, otherwise the end result would not have been good. I lost all braking capability, so the dual master cylinder did not do what it should have. The dealer completed a rear brake job one year prior , near the end of the warranty, as my rear rotors were very corroded, so the rear brakes should have stopped the truck, but did not. Thanks for any information you can find.
  • Options
    Bran164,
    There was guy on here last year with similar year and had the exact problem as you. He was getting a lot of run around from the dealer, endless trips back and forth as the problem came and went. He was actually able to get a video of it and posted it on youtube and got a lot of attention. Apparently he did get a call from GM and then within a few days all the videos were removed from the net. Not sure if the Customer service reps have a record of that. Get a video of it if possible, because without it, I doubt you'll have any luck at a GM dealer if it isn't doing it for them. Good Luck!