Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Yaris in Australia & Europe

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited April 2014 in Toyota
Toyota Yaris in Australia & Europe

Comments

• Options
    globalbankerglobalbanker Member Posts: 11

Just purchased a Black Yaris YR 1.3L 5 Door Hatch with safety package for $19,700AUD on the road in Australia (includes, stamp duty, rego, ctp green slip, dealer delivery). All Yaris Hatch models come with auto everything and keyless entry -- the only option is the engine size ...type.... and the safety package (extra airbags). In AU the Yaris comes with a 1.3L or a 1.5L -- in europe you can get it with a 1.0L engine.

My main question is why does the Yaris come with so many features outside the US -- but it is stripped down for the US Market? For example...you can get a Yaris with the bluetooth key in the UK...but not the US. Further -- why does toyota try to push the sedan in the US (by virtue of not selling the 5 door hatch) but try to push the hatch outside the US?

In any case -- I love my new Yaris. Gave up a new Volvo S40 in the states for the Yaris in AU but love it. The hatch is one of the only trendy economy cars on earth. Though I would miss the S40---leather----sunroof----wood grain------but at the end of the day the Yaris is so much fun to drive you forget about all of it. The fuel economy is excellent and helps with petrol running at $1.50L ">AUD!
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    My main question is why does the Yaris come with so many features outside the US -- but it is stripped down for the US Market?

Because the Yaris is considered a low-end, bottom-of-the-barrel car in the U.S. Those kinds of cars aren't supposed to have features like Bluetooth--the automakers want you to spend a lot more money to get features like that. But that may change when the Versa is introduced here in a few weeks. That low-end car will have "luxury" features like Bluetooth available.

And the Yaris hatch is pushed outside the U.S. (and not in the U.S.) because in general sedans are more popular in the U.S. Many American families have more than one car--and one of those is often a SUV, minivan, or truck. That is changing I think; people are waking up to the versatility of hatchbacks. In other countries, a small hatchback may be the family's only car, so they need all the versatility they can get.
  • Options
    ctyankee1ctyankee1 Member Posts: 6
    Backy,

I recently purchased a 2007 Yaris Sedan (automatic). I rather stumbled on the vehicle after picking up my 2002 Subaru Legacy at the dealer after having to replace its head gasket after only 34,000 miles and about two months after its warranty ended. :lemon: Between that anger and my concern over gas prices, I just decided I'd had it with my poor man's Volvo and went to the Toyota dealer conveniently located next door to the Subaru one.

Knowing little about the Yaris, but finding it a hoot on my test drive, I did some research on sites like Edmunds and eventually headed north and found Yaris heaven in Quebec. Evidently, CA parallels Australia and Europe with model choice and feature availability. It would have been a challenge to choose between a 5-door and the sedan if I had been given the opportunity in the US, but I can tell you that even without the choice, I am ecstatic with my purchase and absolutely love the car.

Fair dinkum.

CT Yank and former resident of NZ
  • Options
    Great insight and very true. The interesting question is how do you move the upper end of the market to a car that is much greener if you never offer it? In the US we tend to go Bigger is Better -- most other places tend not to adopt that view.
  • Options
    I think $3+ per gallon gas is helping to change that view that "bigger is better." Also the fact that today's small cars, like the Yaris, are much more comfortable and capable than in the past.
  • Options

This just proves that the Yaris was the best purchase option on the market. Just wanted to give you all a glimpse of what is to come in the US! Keep in mind most folks in AU earn in AUD what you would expect to earn in USD -- So think of this as an even comparison.

Daniel Dasey and Matthew Benns (smh.com.au)">
    June 11, 2006
    THE cost of filling the average family sedan yesterday topped $100 as motorists braced for a new charge being levied by service stations.

With the average Sydney price for fuel hitting 139.1 cents a litre, the Service Station Association revealed operators in NSW had begun charging a fee as high as $2.50 a tank for customers who paid by credit or charge card.

The move has prompted anger from motoring groups who claim it is a rip-off.

"This is gouging," said NRMA president Alan Evans.

"They could teach Ned Kelly a thing or two."

Calculations show drivers of the country's top-selling car, the Holden Commodore, were now paying, on average, $104.33 for a full tank.

Falcon and Camry drivers were slugged just under the $100 mark to fill their tanks.

Making matters worse was the news from the SSA that an increasing number of petrol stations across the state were charging an administration fee of between 1 and 2.6 per cent when customers payed by card.
  • Options
    kato1kato1 Member Posts: 64
    This just proves that the Yaris was the best purchase option on the market

how does that chart prove that?? it shows the yaris as being the cheapest to fill up, but that is because it has the smallest gas tank. i mean i wouldnt mind paying $300 usd to fill up if i could drive 4500 miles on that tank. of course most of those vehicles with water tower sized gas tanks likely get poor mileage.
  • Options
    I still don't get it -- why can CT Yank drive up to Canada and get a fully loaded Yaris 5 door hatch -- but Toyota's strategy continues to hold these models back from the US market? The reality in most parts of the world is that Petrol is going up -- bigger is not better -- fuel efficient is the key. It is almost as if the automakers and the oil companies are working together to prevent a greener US auto market.
  • Options
    I think I found the answer to your question yesterday: it is called the Scion xA. When I went to my local Toyota dealer to drive a Yaris hatch, they didn't have any so I drove for the 2nd time an AT sedan (they didn't have any 5-speed sedans, either). When I mentioned that I was considering the Fit, the sales rep encouraged me to look at the xA. Another thing that was interesting is the sales rep said that they would not be getting many Yaris sedans with the power package, ABS, or side bags. However, he made a point of noting the xA has those features standard or readily available. So to me it looks like Toyota doesn't want to compete with their own xA.
  • Options
    robertknrobertkn Member Posts: 94
    I live in Ohio about an hour south of Detroit/Windsor and have been thinking very seriously about doing the same thing. Could you elaborate on any import issues that are involved?

I've also been thinking about picking up a preowned Echo. Did you happen to notice whether they have very many up there?

Thank you for your time.
  • Options
    jdgriswaldjdgriswald Member Posts: 11
    As far as new, there are many issues. First, Toyota won't supply export certification paperwork to customs unless car has been registered in Canada for six months. Not to mention the fact that dealers won't sell one to a non-citizen. Second, you may have to change the speedo. Not sure if there is a U.S. spec speedo with tach (sedan?...doubtful fit). Third, 2.5% duty (not made in N.A.) Fourth, lousy exchange rate. Right now a 5-door RS would cost you about $18,500-19,000 U.S. In addition there is the ~$400 exporter fee. Add to that any excise tax in your state when licensing, and it's too damned expensive for what it is. Other than that, it's no problem.
    Used ones are starting to hit the market in Canada, so some of the issues are moot, but the exchange rate is still a killer. I would have already pursued it if we were still at 65%.

Hope that helps
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I was born and have lived most of my life in the USA but have never understood the reasoning behind the general American driving choice. Toyota is not really thinking of the type of buyer that would normally purchase the Yaris hatch. They are listening to their dealer network. All of whom would rather be selling high profit large SUV/trucks or cars. When you read reviews of small cars here, journalists and the auto industry have the mind set that people that buy this type of car are poor and unable to afford what they really want. That is a misconception. I can afford a Camry with out blinking an eye. I do not WANT one. I drive a Toyota Matrix, basically a Corolla hatchback. The biggest car I have ever owned (Santa Fe and not my choice! Not my choice I tell you :shades: ) is also in the drive way right now and it will be headed for the used car lot this autumn. Would I buy a Yaris 5 door? Yes. An Scion xA? maybe. I like the look of the Yaris hatch much better.
  • Options
    fearturtle44fearturtle44 Member Posts: 35
    Agree!!! I just like small four door cars with a little outside distinction. The Yaris fits that bill.

Kevin
  • Options
    ellenbettyellenbetty Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 Yaris 3 door hatchback for a year. Best designed automoblie I have owned. Why a person would buy the 4 door Yaris sadan is beyond me. If you need 4 doors the Honda Fit is a better choice. Love how Toyota moved the speedometer to the center of the dash and slopped the dash down behind the steering wheel. I was able to mount a aftermarket navigation system right behind the steering wheel. Plus the Yaris has the option of a automatic, a must for a disabled person like myself.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Although the 3 door is cuter, that was the only advantage over the sedan for me. The sedan had more available options to include standard cruise with the power package in 2007. The hatch portion in the Yaris is useless when compared to the Fit hatch. I have a person in the back seat most of the time so I can't put down the rear seat and need 4 doors. If you want a hatch with space, get the Fit. If you want a sedan, get the Yaris Sedan. The Yaris was about $2000 less than a Fit so another factor in the easy choice for 2007 Sedan. The newer Fit is nicer, but the fuel economy is further below the Yaris.

Good thing there is a lot of choices for different tastes. Although an automatic is a requirement for you, I would never buy a Yaris or a Fit with an auto. The manual is perfect for a small car with limited power like either of these. If I had to get an auto, I would move up to the Civic, Accord, or Camry where the engine is much better suited to an automatic.
This discussion has been closed.