Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Yaris Crash Test Ratings

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Toyota
Toyota Yaris Crash Test Ratings

Comments

• jdorffjdorff Member Posts: 2
    The Yaris does very well in Euro crash testing:
    http://www.euroncap.com/images/results/superminis/car_246_2005/Toyota%20Yaris%20- Datasheet.pdf
    Much higher than a Honda Fit/Jazz. Of course, this is because the Yaris is a fresh platform while the Fit/Jazz is five years old and just now comming to the USA.
  • bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    Then again that Honda Fit had no side or curtain airbags which will be standard on the US Fit. Future comparison ratings will show which gets better ratings.
  • jdorffjdorff Member Posts: 2
    True that the Honda Fit will have standard side airbags (good to see that someone other than VW is making safety standard on small cars). But the Euro NCAP frontal score for the Yaris (94%) is still much better than the frontal score for the Fit/Jazz (69%).

Does anyone know if the US Spec Yaris hatch will have the knee airbag like the Euro Spec Yaris does ??
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    An agency in Europe called the European New Car Assessment Program (EuroNCAP)conducted crash tests on the Toyota Yaris that was outfitted with "side head protecting" airbags as options. The Yaris scored 5 out of 5 stars. The protection package there includes a driver's knee airbag and costs buyers $750 extra.

This is notable because the two Yarii at my local dealer both have the extra airbags as a $650 option. These are the front seat mounted side and rear side curtain airbags for passenger safety in the back as well. Glad to have them in my...uh-hummm...those two Yarii at my local dealer.

Granted we might not take the European crash tests as acceptable for the U.S. but it is welcome news that this newest small Toyota introduced here by all rights should be a very safe small rig. With all of those airbags it really has earned the "rig" designation, yes.

Hey, if it saves my bacon in a crash, good for it! Just some more good Yaris news for those that are thinking they might become Toyota Yaris fans in the U.S.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    iluv, I am glad that you see the value of safety features like side bags and curtains. It's great the Yaris offers them as options. But since none of the Yarii I saw at my local dealer last Saturday has that option, I'd like to see them be standard, as they are on the Accent, Fit, and Rio/Rio5.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    The Euro test is the same as the IIHS here. Both are more difficult than the NHTSA tests.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    Are these tests relative to other vehicles in the same class? Is that how it works? Standards that are considered good for that size vehicle? Just wondering.
    Yes one should always compare vehicles in the same weight class. It's like boxers. One shouldn't compare a Yaris to a Camry for example.
    That's ok on side and rear crashes, but not on frontal crashes.
    OK I'm open to being educated further.

From the IIHS website they state that you should compare vehicles within one weight class. Heavier, larger vehicles generally will fare better in frontal crashes of vehicles of dissimilar weights.

Did you understand something different? Do I misunderstand their statement or your comment?
    What I meant was that you CAN compare the crash test results of cars from different classes for side and rear crash tests, but not for frontal crash tests. I am pretty sure there are notes to this effect on the IIHS web site and maybe even the NHTSA web site if you wish to learn more.
  • reddroverrreddroverr Member Posts: 509
    I would too. If you just put them on every car it reduces the cost of manufacture. They made a decision to keep it as an option..I assume they did it to get a lower price point than the competion...before adding comperable options that is.
  • violinviolin Member Posts: 20
    I would have liked the side air bags as well. It's a shame Toyota made them so hard for us to get. In Europe the Liftback with full airbags (5 door) was the safest car Toyota ever made:

http://www.euroncap.com/images/results/superminis/car_246_2005/Toyota Yaris Datasheet 2.pdf

http://www.toyota-europe.com/innovation/technology/safety/yar_ncap_2005.asp
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    I don't think Toyota should brag too much about the Yaris being so safe in Europe, when it is so hard to get the side/curtain airbags here.
This discussion has been closed.