Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Tires and Wheels

Comments

• vbbuiltvbbuilt Member Posts: 498
    When was the last time you had an alignment done? Uneven wear is a good sign your wheels aren't true. If you've got 20K miles and never had it done, it's a good bet that's the problem. I had the same problem, but had mine done at 30K miles. Seems to have made a difference, but next time, I'll be a little more diligent in getting it done more frequently.

You hit pot holes, go over speed bumps too quickly, wheels rub the curb in parallel parking. The list goes on. A lot of experts seem to recommend having an alignment done every 10K miles.

Vince.
  • dchavezdchavez Member Posts: 2
    I got the alignment done at 9k. The situation never got better.

Dennis
    Hmmm, hard to say what could be the cause of uneven wear.

Keep in mind, too, that the RS/A are considered a high performance tire, made of softer compounds than standard passenger cars. They simply wear out faster. I've got 30K on my RS/A with tread bars starting to show. I'm fixing to replace in another month or two. But I've learned to simply factor in the cost of ownership, as the CX-7 is a BEAST! :P

Vince.
  • carlitos92carlitos92 Member Posts: 458
    My understanding is that once the tires start wearing unevenly, an alignment can't totally correct the situation. You can stop the cause, but once the tires are uneven, you still start out at that baseline for any future wear, whether even or not. In this case, 9,000 miles is sounding like it's 25%-33% of the total tire life.

I just rotated mine at roughly 19K (my floor jack has been broken until this past weekend :blush: ) and I figure I'm over 50% through the tread, but nowhere near the wear bars just yet. That being said, going 19K without rotating has not done me any favors. The edges of the front tires are pretty rounded (more a function of me trying to drive the CX like it's a Mazdaspeed6, rather than an alignment issue) but still on track to give me 30K I think. I'm okay if I get that, knowing these aren't exactly truck tires. I've had A509s on a Civic that lasted about 14K before they deteriorated into unintentional racing slicks.

-c92
  • rharvillerharville Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same rpoblem with 26k miles, the inside treads are non-existent and I can see the chords. Getting the same [non-permissible content removed] runaround from the dealer. I even took my car to my mechanic and had him check the alignment and give me a printout. Not only was the alignment within Mazda's spec's, but they are dead center of the tolerances. The dealer still said it was normal...[non-permissible content removed]! Out of the 30 or so cars I have owned in my short lifetime I have never seen tires wear like this when the alignment is perfect or even a little out.
    In my research for new tires, I've discovered from talking to independent tire dealers, that the stock OEM tires are considered high performance and made of softer compounds. They will wear out sooner and at 26K miles, that sounds about right. Both the Goodyear and Bridgestone OEM tires fall in this category. That just the "nature" of the beast - something that most people don't realize when they buy the CX-7.

I've got 31K miles and they're pretty much shot but have enough tread left to last till mid-November, then I'll replace 'em with new rims and replace tires with 245/45-20 Avon Tech M550 A/S or Zeon Sport A/S or Kumho ECSTA ASX. Haven't quite decided which tire I'll go with.

Vince.
  • afroceltafrocelt Member Posts: 5
    We've had a cx7 for just over a year now....the alignment got to be so bad (dealer mechanic was talking 15 degrees out)that we had to replace all 4 tires....luckily mazda paid for almost all of it. I've never heard of new tires at 18k miles.

gf drives it 80 miles a day in northern wisconsin, so we went with some pirelli A/T tires...winter can be brutal, especially with unplowed roads.

The dealer mechanic said that they've seen "a ton" of mazda cx-7s come in with alignment out.
    Well gang, did it! Bought a set of Kumho ESTA ASX P245/45R20 tires mounted on a set of Zinik Z5 Ikeda 20x7.5 rims. Mounted and filled with nitrogen, out the door, cost me $2300.

Vince.

Wow, Vince, looks great. I'm not a big fan of chrome myself, but the 20's look surprisingly "right-sized" on the CX. The tires don't look "painted on," either. Still some sidewall left... Hope the ride works out over the long haul. Be sure to keep us posted on the tire wear - I'd assume the Kumhos come in the stock size as well?

-c92
    Thanks for the compliment!I didn't check to see if they came in the stock size, 235/60-18. You can check tirerack.com - it's a spiffy website and helped me alot!

Vince.
  • johnny__rfjohnny__rf Member Posts: 83
    I have 18K miles on my cx-7 and have not yet rotated the tires. Dealer tells me the inside tread of the tires on the front are down to nothing and need to be replaced.

Replacing tires after 18K miles is unacceptable. how do I get Mazda USA to cover all (or a portion) of this?

I have never had tires wear this quickly.
    Check your paperwork that came with the tires and see what that says. I'd talk with the dealer manager and service manager about the warranty and see what they say.

I'm guessing you won't get any satisfaction, though. From what I've seen on these forums, members haven't had much luck working with MazdaUSA, as MazdaUSA seems to always say that the dealer is wholly independent of MazdaUSA and that MazdaUSA has no say over how dealerships run their franchises. Particularly when it comes to those kind of warranty issues. I don't know if any of that is true or not, but that seems to be the prevailing responses.

If, after discussing these issues with Mazda dealer and examination of your warranty paperwork, if you feel you're on solid footing, then perhaps pursue through small claims court. Good luck. Vince.
    Thanks for the suggestion Vince. I did speak to the dealer late yesterday and he told me to contact MazdaUSA and try to get resolution from them. Dealer price for these Goodyears is $269 each, mounted/balanced etc.

There is no way I will pay that much for such crappy tires.

I'll update the board after my discussion with Mazda.

btw Vince - nice bling !!!
  • sssfegysssfegy Member Posts: 132
    AWESOME! You got a great deal too. Congrats on your new,new car!
    So I waited for Mazda customer Assistance to call me back for 2 days now.....so I called the guy and he tells me the dealer never called him back. He has no additional information or notes on my account. He says it's up to the dealer and the regional manager to figure out the resolution to the problem...So what the heck is Mazda Customer assistance doing?? Nothing???

So far I am very unimpressed with Mazda customer service as compared to my experience with Honda customer service.

This may result in me never leasing or buying another Mazda.
    Hey Johnny, the only thing I can suggest is look over that paperwork that came with your tires and see what your rights and responsibilities are. If the excessive wear at 18K miles falls under warranty, then go back to the dealer and speak personally to the manager. If the excessive wear falls under the warranty provisions AND the dealer doesn't want to play ball, then you might consider lodging complaints with the local Better Business Bureau (BBB) and the local Chamber of Commerce.

You might want to visit www.tirerack.com and see what replacement tires cost. Then go shopping locally to compare prices.

Wish there was something more I could do, other than provide advice. Your situation definitely SUCKS, IMHO.

vince.
    Well I have given up on Mazda. I'm planning on getting Goodyear Eagle Respond Edge replacements for my car and will try to get some credit $$ back from Goodyear under the general tire warranty.

tirerack highly rates these tires. Anybody agree or have alternative suggestions??
    Are these the ones with carbon fiber in them? I have those pegged as possibles for my next tires. As you said, they look pretty good on Tirerack.

-c92
    Yes they are the ones with carbon fiber.........I believe they also have a 50K mile warranty.........
  • rescuealexrescuealex Member Posts: 1
    :mad: I agree with you 100%. I did rotated my tires 4 times, 6 oil changes only serviced my vehicle in the dealer. I just had to replace 4 tires with only 20k miles. I had Eagle RS. My opinion is that the car is too heavy for RS tires, also Goodyear quality sucks. . . I put 4 Bridgestone Dueler H/T 400. Today I just drove 280 miles. Smooth driving but still slight tire noise. I guess at this point is the car not the tires. I do agree with you I am already seeking to trade for a BMW X5. Yes pay bouku $$$$ more but at least I get better service from the dealer. My peace of mind is worth it. . .. :cry:
    Just put a set of Kumho Road Venture APT KL51's based on reviews on tirerack and other websites. Ride home was real smooth. Will update this board with details after varied weather driving. These tires appear to be a steal based on the price......
  • igloo03igloo03 Member Posts: 3
    How have these tires treated you so far? Does anyone else have any opinions to share regarding replacement tires?
    Compared to the garbage Goodyear's that were on my cx-7, these tires handle much better in all conditions (including snow). I've driven them in some nasty snow conditions and have had no problems.

I cant say how they compare to some of the higher cost performance tires but I feel that the Kumhos are a great bargain. They are wearing great (not sure how many miles I have on them maybe 3-4 thousand or so).

I am very happy I bought the Kumhos.........and would recommend them to other folks.
  • defreitasmdefreitasm Member Posts: 152
    I can get a set of Duelers HT D684 II for about 30 dollars less per tire than the Eagle Response Edge. I am concerned about the Dueler's because they seem to rated in the light truck category. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I am concerned that they might ride a bit rougher and not handle as well as a tire from the Grand Touring category. I was happy with the OEM Turanzas as far as handling but got less than 20,000 out of them.
    I like what I am hearing about the Response Edge and I like that they at least have a wear warranty, but I'm sure that is not easy to cash in on.

A lot of tire dealers or auto repair are pushing the duelers and one guy implied that CX7s are now using Duelers but I don't know if that is true. They also claimed that Mazda screwed up with the Turanza tires because they can't handle the vehicle load. I doubt that but who really knows?
  • 1stmazda1stmazda Member Posts: 17
    After 19 months on the stock Bridgestone Turanzas.... that had no grip at all in the winter.... I put on Nokian WR SUV's last weekend. We've had tons of snow here in Toronto and these things are great! And I don't need to swap them out in the spring.

Amazing
  • mobileexpmobileexp Member Posts: 2
    I was curious. Did you get the X5? I wanted to save money and thought not to get the X5 because I would get the CX7 or CX9. Mostly, I'm leaning toward the nine.
  • phillygwmphillygwm Member Posts: 3
    I bought a CX-7 Grand Touring last February with the standard Bridgestone tires; it presently has 26K+ miles on it. Today, while at the dealership for an oil change etc., I was told I needed 4 new tires: they had between 3-4/32 of tread left.

I rotated them every 5K miles with oil changes and they've worn pretty evenly. I guess I just expected a longer lifespan.

Is this normal? Any suggestions for a tire with a longer expected life? I do city and highway driving; a lot of miles but not anything especially out of the ordinary.

Thanks for any help!
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    It's normal, you can't expect more from a Crossover weighing in over 3900 or 3700lbs with a sport tuned suspension.
  • pctechpctech Member Posts: 43
    I now have just over 25K miles on my OEM Goodyear Eagle RSA tires, which I believe is about right for a "performance" tire on this car (AWD GT). The only complaint I have is that these tires seem to wear unevenly and then create excessive tire noise. I've been considering the ResponseEdge from TireRack. Has anyone bought tires from them? Any problems getting a local store to install them (my local Goodyear dealer is listed on their site and has the lowest installation charge)?
  • vx23hokievx23hokie Member Posts: 10
    A little wider tire, but lower aspect ratio gives the same tire height and does not introduce a speed error into the computer. Should give a larger footprint and better traction. Also allows some better tire options. I'm looking at the Michelin Latitude Tour HP (102H speed rating). Installed price is just under $200/tire.
  • vx23hokievx23hokie Member Posts: 10
    Meant P255/55R18 tires (not 17)
  • hdmonthdmont Member Posts: 3
    I have had my CX7 for about 14 months now. I have just over 14K miles and my OEM Bridgestone tires are shot. I have rotated them 3 times since I had the car. Last week at my oil change, I asked the dealer to check the tire, they said they are reading 0/32!! I'm so disappointed that with only 14K miles I need to buy new tires. Is there anyone else having the same issue I am? Has anyone gotten Mazda or their dealer to do anything about tire replacement? Does anyone have any recommendations as to what tire I should replace these with, something that will last??!! Thanks
  • cx7lovercx7lover Member Posts: 90
    mcx7.com has the help you need on it, there is a thread on premature tire wear with numbers to call for looking into replacements.

The tires weren't designed for this type of SUV, so PLEASE don't replace them with the same tire, wear will not change!

If you don't need an all-season go with the Continental CrossContact Ultra High Performance Summer tire for SUV's and light trucks, or the Goodyear Eagle Responsedge for a touring all-season.
  • mazdajimmazdajim Member Posts: 1
    I have 8400 miles on my cx7 and the bridgestones are shot. My dealer is recomending Toyo Open Country HT for the replacement tires. I can not find much info on these tires. The dealer is working with me on the cost of the tires and is doing a front end alignment rotating the struts 60 degrees.I am very concerned about that because it is an extreme change.
  • texash531texash531 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 FWD CX-7 with about 28,000 miles on it. It's mostly just my front tires that need replacing badly and I've been putting it off longer then I should. I live in North Texas so it's only cold about 2 months out of the year and an occasional snow shower so I don't really think I really need all seasons tires. I know alot about cars but nothing about tires so all the sizes and ratings I have no clue about. I do a lot of highway driving mostly in the 75-80mph range when I can get away with it if that makes a difference and I have a heavy foot and like to accelerate quickly from stops. I need to replace them soon. What kind of tires would be best for me?
  • ws46ws46 Member Posts: 28
    cx7lover, I searched on mcx7. Can you tell me which thread it is? Even just the title of the thread will help. (I searched "tires" and "tire wear", and didn't find it.)

I have 14K miles on my CX-7 that I bought about 1 year ago, and the there are really no threads left on them.

I thought tires typically last 30K. I am quite disappointed. Is it the tires? The car? The way I drive? Which tires are recommended for CX-7 that can last more than 15K miles?

thanks
    I am also looking to purchase a new set of tires. Any recommendations to replacing the Bridestrone Turanzas?

Looking for better quality. (Last longer, quieter, all weather, better handling, etc..)
    thanks.
  • mazoommang11mazoommang11 Member Posts: 1
    Be aware any CX-7 sold with either the Bridgestone and or Goodyear tires will wear out within 20k if not sooner. Alignmennts and rotating will not stop this. I recommend changing to the Pirelli Scorpion for all season traction and wear. The tire is a more aggressive tread, yet based on customers I spoke with they are not noisey. Most of the tires made to fit this size wheel and vehicle are only summer performance tires, very few are true all season tires. If you live in snowy conditions, buy snow tires. I can not stress this enough. Even thought he vehicle is all wheel drive, summer performance tires due not perform in snow! I know these cars very, very well.
    I do live in the Northeast, and it does get snowy. Will Pirelli Scorpion be good enough, or should I get 2 sets of tires? (One summer, one winter)

If you recommend snow tires, which ones do you recommend?

thanks,
    ws46
  • maavalousmaavalous Member Posts: 17
    Wheels and rubber look awesome!!
    Another question... I noticed that you have a color-matched shark fin antenna instead of the factory "black stick". How did that come to be... aftermarket I'm sure.
  • nexuscanadanexuscanada Member Posts: 5
    I am a new owner of a Mazda CX-7 with 4 wheel drive and I have experienced a lot of issues and problems with my vehicule... After the 2 recalls for the engine light staying on and the actuator shutter valve, I am not having a tire problem to deal with at 16k km. My stock Bridgestone Turanza tires are showing premature and excessive wear even after they have been rotated at 6k & 12K km as per the service maintenance schedule. One set has no crossthread and worn on the inside edge while the other set are worn in the middle. I have reported the issue at a 16K km oil change and the dealer has now changed 2 tires which are the worst set at the front but not changed the other 2 tires at the back... I have now requested the dealer to change the other set as they are claiming that it was an alignment problem... I am awaiting the dealer's answer...

I know that this is an alignment problem but not only on 2 wheels but all 4 wheels based on the wearing... These OEM tires are crap!!!

The fact that the stock tires are crap and that the tires are not matched for this vehicule does not help either... The car warranty is 20k km or 1 year and I am below so I am trying to have all 4 tires replaced...

If the alignment gets done properly with all 4 new Turanza tires, will I get at least 30k km with these stock tires?

Any suggestions on other replacement tires for the CX-7? Can I go to 255?

Thank you!
  • maavalousmaavalous Member Posts: 17
    Not sure if you want to go plus size on these. Given the issues with the stock tire size, you may make things worse.
    So far, the best tire I've found is the General UHP but it is directional. Great for traction, but you can't "truly" rotate them. Michelin is probably the next best rated in this size. Take a look at tirerack.com
    When I replace all 4 of the crappy Bridgestone Turanza, I am thinking of Continental Crosscontact UHP 235/60VR18 which I looked up on www.tirerack.com

They seems to be very good all around all season tires and most buyers and users are pleased with them... Pirelli & Michelin did not get too good appreciation...

Any comments on these tires?

Thank you!
  • pctechpctech Member Posts: 43
    Anyone tried Goodyear Eagle Response Edge? They are more reasonably-priced than the Continentals.
    Take a look at www.tirerack.com and check the reviews of actual buyers and users...

Cheers,
  • rod03dirod03di Member Posts: 1
    :) I put a set of toyo open country ht 235/60r18 60,000 miles tires. 5000 miles or 45 days return pol. Great tires will use again. Going to put a set on my F-150 next.
  • MichiganRich77MichiganRich77 Member Posts: 2
    I had to replace two of my tires at 16,500. I have 7/32 left of tread on my back tires. I rotated the tires every 5000 miles. The dealer would not help me, I called customer service and I had to buy one tire and Firestone replaced the other one.

I am going back to the Big 3, at least they understand how to build SUV's for the midwest.
  • MichiganRich77MichiganRich77 Member Posts: 2
    Well -- I traded in my Mercury Mountaineer for the CX-7. Thinking I would save some money on gas. Well, the CX-7 has horrible mileage. About 15 in the city using premium gas and that is driving like an old man. The tires went bad at 17,000 miles, even though I rotated them every 5000 miles. I ended up cutting a deal with Bridgestone for 50% off. The battery died at 18,000 miles during the cold est day in Mich, dealer replaced for free of charged. However, they had to reprogram the car ecu because the AWD and TCS would not work. Please do not get this car, save some money and buy its cousin the Ford Edge, it's at least designed to withstand the elements of the Midwest.
  • TMSRTMSR Member Posts: 1
    Like everyone else living in the Midwest; I could not drive my new 08 CX-7 during
    anytime of winter snow. The traction control light would light continuously and it was impossible to make it up any kind of incline.
    After 13k miles, you would hope tires on a new car would have enough of traction to go through the snow. Wrong!
    Bridgestone Toranzas are garbage. The dealers know it, the company knows it and Bridgestone knows it.
    After complaints to the local dealer and Madza, they replaced them with a 50% cost to me. I now have some Goodyear Eagles which are tracking wonderful. I do not think I will get great mileage with these, but it has to be better than the Bridgestones!

Good Luck...
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Just reaching 40,000 miles on an '07 cx-7 w/ stock P235/60R18 Goodyear eagles. Tires need replacing now but have been excellent in the snow. Have been advised to get replacement Goodyear Comfort Assurance brand all season radials at $870.00 for a set of 4 including alignment and tax. Gas mileage lately has been 19~20 in town using premium. Not bad for snowy, cold Minnesota driving a nearly 4000 lb. all wheel drive vehicle. Not hardly any complaints since new. Would like more legroom in back and a more luxurious interior (less hard plastic).