Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda CX-7 Tires and Wheels

124»

Comments

• nexuscanadanexuscanada Member Posts: 5
    My tire problem went away and got fixed after 3 weeks of discussion with the service manager and diplomatic negociations... The bottom line is that I did not pay one dime for the 4 replacement Turanza tires as I negotiated that Mazda Canada would replace 2 tires and Bridestone Canada with 2 new tires at their expense. I now have 4 new Turanza OEM worthless tires but now I can look and buy real & proper sized tires for my CX7 with my money...

Good luck to all with this problem!
  • coocha11coocha11 Member Posts: 1
    Cant seem to locate the thread, can you be of more assistance ?

Peter
  • sdbobo619sdbobo619 Member Posts: 13
    Mazoommang11 is correct the Pirelli Scorpions are the best all season tire available, they easily outperform the goodyears and bridgestones which are OEM for this vehicle and complete garbage....

The Scorpion comes OEM on Cayenne, Range Rover, Volvo, so I know it is worth a little extra money.
  • bcp1bcp1 Member Posts: 21
    Our 07 CX-7 GTFWD will be three years old in Oct. 2009. We have just over 12,000
    miles. Our OEM tires by Bridgestone were all starting to crack between the treads.
    I called my Firestone dealer and he told me to bring the vehicle in. After checking all 4 tires, he said that they would be replaced. They were balanced, new valves stems,etc. all at no charge to me. I am hoping that these will last longer. I had the car serviced last Dec. and they changed the module that controls shifting. It tends to not want to go into 6th gear unless I let off on the accellerator. My gas milage has dropped to 15mpg in town, but I get 22.5mpg on the hwy. The new tires ride quite well
    but I only have about 500 miles on them.
    I am due service at 14,500 miles and I will have them address the transmission situation. Overall, we really do like the CX-7.
  • nexuscanadanexuscanada Member Posts: 5
    We are very satisfied with our Mazda CX7 other than having someone steel the front grill Mazda "M" logo at a grocery store parking lot in broad day light and the Bridgetone Turanza crappy OEM tires... Futher update to our 4 new Turanza replacement tires, we have 33,000 km and the new Turanza tires (replaced at 18,0000 km are starting to show wear and will need replacing at the end of summer (in 3k-5k km). Based on my quick research on tire rack www.tirerack.com, unless someone else con recommend a great replacement tire, I am thinking on going with same size tires Continental Cross Contact UHP 235-60-R18. They have good reviews from buyers and users...

I am sure
  • jennyj79jennyj79 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a Mazda CX 7, 10 months ago. I have less than 8000 miles on it. Last Thursday I noticed that my tire was almost flat, so I took it to get looked at. They brought to my attention that on 4 tires are dry rotted! So, today, I took it to the Mazda dealer I had purchased it from. Mazda has nothing to do with it, Bridgestone does. And, Bridgestone will only cover 50% of each tire. I would not have a problem with paying over $300 for 4 new tires,if I had more than 8000 miles and the car was a few years older. They also proceeded to tell me that my tire tread is 50% woren....how can this be, its not even a year old with less then 8000 miles. I take very good care of my cars, oil changes every 3000 miles, my tires were only rotated once at 5000 miles. I just don't think it is fair that I should have to pay anything, the tires should be covered under my warranty...HELP :confuse: !!
  • pxleakpxleak Member Posts: 7
    Is it ok to just replace only 1 tire for the cx-7? I had a slow flat from chicago on a 6 hr drive and checking on the tire every 2hrs putting air cause it looses 5-8 psi. I made back home and installed the spare right away. I bought two tires even on just 1 flat. So is it ok to install just 1?
    Most Mfg today recommend that you change your tires at least in pairs. If you have
    several thousand miles on a tire and loose it to a flat. The single new tire replacement will possibly affect the function of such safety features of Traction control, etc.
    Any time you have a great variation in tire tread depth, it will affect the ware and tear on the tires presently.
    Most people put two new tires on the front, because most vehicles are FWD.

Remember that the CX-7 comes standard with Dynamic Stability Control(DSC) and Traction Control System(TCS)

If you check your manual you will see a schedule for tire rotations and which tires go where.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    As counter-intuitive as it seems, the better practice for FWD vehicles is to put new tires on the rear axle.

Where to Install New Pairs of Tires? (Tire Rack)
    I went through the same thing that you are going through. I guess the main difference is I went to a Bridgestone dealer that I was familar with. I would try another dealer across town, etc.
    They replaced my four dry rotted and cracking tires with balance, new vales stems, etc. I paid $00.00
    That is a new vehicle for all intents and purposes. Find out who the Regional Mgr for the local dealers is and ask for phone number. I would take it to the top of Mgt.

I know that Bridgestone as a Mfg. does not want their customers to be treated that way. They could loose your business for life.

I dont know where you live but here in SW La. our dealers take care of their customers.

Good Luck and dont take NO for an answer.
  • pxleakpxleak Member Posts: 7
    I did replace two and had a rotation. I kept the other used one since it still has 7/32 of depth. Incase I get flat again it's better for me to have that use the spare, mounted rather than the thin trunk original tire. That is if I get a flat as closer thread depth as my used stoked tire. It also cuts the 50mph limit on the stock spare with the wider used tire. Gives me some time to save up for two more incase.
  • mdrrileymdrriley Member Posts: 4
    how important is it to keep all 4 tires with the same brand? i replaced the fronts 3 months ago, and now i need to do the rear.

thanks.
  • sdbobo619sdbobo619 Member Posts: 13
    Very important to have all the same tires. It is ok to mix 2 and 2 but you always want the same tires on each axle. I would never put 3 one brand and 1 another optimal handling and traction are obtained with all 4 the same.
  • mybeccamybecca Member Posts: 6
    I just traded down from a 2008 CX-9 to a 2010 CX-7. The first thing I did was replace the tires. I bought Yokohama Prada Spec-X, which were rated #1 for this size. The goodyears on the car were rated 18. I never could have imagined what a huge difference this made for my ride - so much smoother, quieter, and felt more stable. Afterall, it's only your tires touching the ground!

Zoom Zoom forever
    Go to message #164 in this group. You will see I had to replace my tires before 14,000 miles, all cracked. Go to a different Firestone dealer. My dealer replaced all 4 tires with balance and everything for $00.00

My Mitchelin dealer did me the way you are being treated now. I had to pay over $300 for replacement tires 22 months old with 22,000 miles on our 06 Honda Ridgeline.

Look around there are some good Firestone dealers out there. Good Luck.
  • hmwatthmwatt Member Posts: 2
    I must replace the two front tires. Is it true that the tires have pressure sensors? Is there a special feature to the tire that I should be aware of when buying the new tires.
    It is true that you have sensors on each wheel that monitor tire pressure/failure, etc.
    It the dealer is careful you may be able to reuse the sensor with the new tire change.
    Most dealers change the tire stems with placing a new tire, but the sensors are much more expensive. I had all four Bridgestones replaced because of cracking about 3 months ago and I only had 11,800 miles on the CX-7. They gave me four new tires at no charge and the sensors were placed back on the wheels with the new tires and no problems.

My other vehicle is a 2006 Ridgeline RTL/S Truck and I put on Boss 381 chrome wheels and the sensors didnot fit, so I had a lot of problems getting replacement, so now I drive the truck with out the tps system. We put one sensor on the spare tire and it take the truck system about 20 to realize that the sensors are missing, it checks all wheels indiv.

Hope this helps.
  • wilmelandwilmeland Member Posts: 2
    Mazda CX 7 i sv comes with standard 215 70 - 17 tires. Can these be replaced with 235 65 -17 tires if the diameter is within .2 inches? The higher level cx 7s come with 235 width 18 inch, so figured this would work as far as width goes. I thought that as far as a .2 inch change in diameter, it would be fairly negligible as far as change to overall speedo calibration and gear ratio/ performance aspect.
  • canayjun64canayjun64 Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2010
    Hi,

I just put on 4 new Rims/Winter Tires on my Mazda CX7 and noticed that the tire pressure light stays on. With a bit of reasearch, I found out that my original rims have 4 TPMS Sensors

If your vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system they are installed in the tire and wheel assembly. Hope this answers your question.

• 2010zoomzoom12010zoomzoom1 Member Posts: 8
    I own a 2010 Cx-7 Sport and have discovered the the 235-65 17 bridgestone Duellers that came with my car are ONLY made by Bridgestone. I cannot purchase any other tire in that size. Does anyone else have a CX-7 Sport in an older year with that same size tire? I am believing the this size is unique to the 2010 models.
    I had to have Bridgestone replace all four of my tires at 6000 miles at no charge to me. My dealership doesn't have answers, Mazda Corp in Cali doesn't have answers, and the BBB wouldn't help either. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS? I have owned many vehicles and the tires have lasted years not months. Any help or direction would be Awesome! Thanks!
    NEW 2010 Mazda CX-7 i SPORT

235/65/R17 ~This size is ONLY made by Bridgestone in the Dueller and the Blizztak. Does anyone else think this is HORRIBLE????
    Why wasn't i told about the limited tire availability before i paid 27,000 for this car?
    I have already had to replace my tires after 6,000 miles....BS! i need to know what i can do about this.

Suggestions?!
    thanks!
  • garv214garv214 Member Posts: 162
    235/65/R17 ~This size is ONLY made by Bridgestone in the Dueller and the Blizztak. Does anyone else think this is HORRIBLE????

I just went out to Tirerack's website and pulled up over 50 tires that are 235/65/17. You have a ton of alternative choices. You can also change up the tire size e.g. 255/60/17 are essentially the same size tire. You can play around with any tire size calculator (e.g. discount tire direct website) on the web to come up with various alternative sizes that will work (and not throw your speedometer off by very much).

My Protege5 came with a "unique" OEM tire, when it wore out I just changed the size a bit to open up my options....

Hope that helps.
  • coastercoaster Member Posts: 46
    I also have a 2010 i Sport. It only has 2500 miles on it but so far there seems to be no noticeable wear on the tires. However the OEM tires are Duellers in size 215x70x17. When I go to and list my car's model it states that the size of tire for my car is 215x70x17. I wonder if Mazda changed the size at some point because of the tire wear problem.
    According to Tire Rack there is no other brand of tire available for my car which I knew when I purchased it. There are also Hondas and Toyotas thatuse this size so perhaps at some point another manufacturer will make a tire in my size.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,199
    You just listed the same size, twice...

So... which is it? lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I was replying to the post by 2010zoomzoom1 (Dec 03, 2010 9:45 am) in which it states that the standard tires on the 2010 i Sport are size 235/65/R17. I thought that all 2010 CX-7 i Sports came with the size on my car which is 215/70/17 and that size is also quoted as the correct OEM size by Tire Rack. I wonder if this could be a reason for prematuire wear. I do agree that it is terrible to have no choice of tire in either of these two sizes. We are stuck with Bridgestone Duellers.
    Here is the post in question:
    NEW 2010 Mazda CX-7 i SPORT
    Why wasn't i told about the limited tire availability before i paid 27,000 for this car?
    I have already had to replace my tires after 6,000 miles....BS! i need to know what i can do about this.
    The correct tire size on my cx-7 is the 215-70-17....that is correct. I feel very strongly about not having any options on tires...especiall when the Dueller H/L in this size is a non mileagle warranty tire.....

if i would have known this when i purchased the car, i would have went with the 18" wheels and turbo. I was think economical and it has kicked me right in the butt! I have filed complaints with the BBB, Attorney General with my state and with Mazda USA. I have gotten NOWHERE! i am ready to just trade it in.....when i had to replace my tires at 6100 miles, bridgeston didn't even have them in stock! i worry about this....what if i am traveling and something happens!

Anyone looking to purchase a 2010 CX-7 i sport with only 12,000 miles?!?!

--2010zoomzoom1
    Quite a few of the major tire companies including Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, etc. make tires in size 215x65x17. I just wonder if that size can be substituted for the original 215x70x17 Bridgestones.
    Good point...

Also... 225/65-17 or 235/65-17 would be even closer to the original diameter.... if your wheels are wide enough.... 7.5" is plenty for either... 7" wheels will probably take the 225s.. but, might be a little narrow for 235s...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

thank you for all your advice. I was told to totally recify the issue, i would have to buy an aftermarket tire package, and i could go with 18". How would that affect my speedometer?

I just don't know why they even offer the FWD CX-7 if the tire availability is so scarce.

it is such a shame that after buying the car brand new, 12 months ago, i am now looking into buying new wheels to fix something MAZDA should have caught in the beginning.

i am just a little frustrated at this point.
    No need to go to 18", unless your 17" wheels can't handle a slightly wider 17" tire...

The cheapest alternative would be to use the wheels you have.. Plus, switching to 18" will mean a lower profile, and may change ride/handling characteristics in ways you won't like..

Plus, 18" tires are about 25% more expensive than comparable 17" tires..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Checking the Mazda website, your wheels are 17 X 7... That might be a little narrow for a 225 or 235 width tire..

They give the factory alternative as 235/60-18 on 18 X 7.5" wheels.. Lots of choices in that size...

I have to agree... not great alternatives....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• wilmelandwilmeland Member Posts: 2
    go to tire rack - looks like there are probably several other sizes that would fit the rims for this vehicle. Below is one that seemed to get good ratings. This tire spec says 6 to 8 inch wide rims, so 7 should not be a problem I would think. I was initially a little concerned after my purchase, but after further research, think the OEM they will try to sell you is not always the best tire answer.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Parada+Spec-- X&partnum=265HR7PSX&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&tab=Specs
    I agree.... but, I run tires in a similar size.... and, 225s don't fit on any rim smaller than 7" wide.... 7" is a stretch.... and, may work..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

i am still having issues with my tires...they are 6 months old and have 4,000 miles on them and they are already wearing, by almost 1/2! I am not sure if i should change my tires/rims because of my computer system, speedometer ect.....i am concerned that it may cost me more in the long run. i don't believe that as a consumer i should be left without options or a recitification that may cost me thousands of $$$$........i can't get an answer from Mazda, my dealership or any official as what to do...... i don't drive irratically, or many miles for my tires to be wearing down so fast.

suggestions guys????

thank you :cry:
    I have not had the extreme problem you have, but my Bridgestone's were cracking both sides and between treads. I took the vehicle to the Firestone/Bridgestone dealer and they submitted it to the factory and I received a complete new set of tires at N/C. This is the reason I stayed with the same tire, OEM's because they donot have a very good reputation.
    You can look on line and see what tires are available in the size needed. Tires Direct.com will show you reviews on all brands and it makes it easier to make a choice. Good Luck. I know it can be very frustrating.
    how may miles/months should i get out of a set of bridgestone duelers? honestly, they are a no mileage warranty for my CX-7, and i am on my second set! Bridgestone replaced all 4 original tires back in October 2010. It is now April and my front tires are wearing evenly the entire way across.......i have 5,000 miles on these NEW tires and they are wearing already! :mad:
    I have my 2nd set of OEM Bridgestone's on my 2007GTFWD CX-7. The first cracked badly, The tires were replaced at NC at Firestone/Bridgestone. That was last summer. I have less than 3,000 miles on them and they show very even ware, but very little ware. I am not familiar with the Duelers, but with the power you have in the CX-7 and I presume you have the turbo-charged inline 4. Have Firestone/Bridgestone dealer you trust to check alinement, etc. Make sure the tires are not out of round. The only reason I stuck with Brigestone 742's was they were replaced at NC. I would not buy this tire again. You may prefer another brand or at least a sporty tire for SUV's etc.
    Good Luck.
    thank you! i do not have the turbo...i have the standard 4 cylinder. for the 2010, they made the turbo an upgraded option. so i have ALOT less power. i am very unhappy with not having any options for my 2010 cx-7. thank you..
  • alaskacx7alaskacx7 Member Posts: 4
    Duellers are made from a much softer rubber for better traction. Winter Duellers are an awesome tire but generally only last one year. If you have the money to burn, buying new Winter Duellers each fall keeps you safe on the road then you can run them right through summer until your new set in the fall again. I ran them this way on my Silverado and again on an Envoy... I am going with the Hankook RW11's this winter on my new CX7, they have been getting great ratings and Mazda & Hankook are offering a good rebate through September... :)
  • multi_carsmulti_cars Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2011
    In reading this thread about CX-7 tires, I would agree that the original tires put on the car were bad wearing tires (we have a 2008 CX-7 and the original tires were GOODYEAR RSAs.

I got rid of them at about 23,000 and switched to Yokohama PARADAs from the TireRack. I also bought a new set of wheels that they had on special discount. My CX-7 now has 19" O-Z wheels with the Yokohama PARADAs and the car drives and handles MUCH better. - AND that is in rain and snow as well.

I did a lot of research on the tires and the PARADAs are a great fit for performance in Mud and Snow. (We have had some real bad winters the last two years and the CX-7 handles great)

My advice to any looking at replacing the original tires - go with the Yokohama's and if you can, up to 19" wheels. The car handles much better. (we are at 44,000 miles on the car now - tires are still sticky and have great traction)
  • tigerhawk48tigerhawk48 Member Posts: 1
    We have only had our CX-7 a month. We ran over a screw last week puncturing the tire. As many of you have already discovered the tires are impossible to get. How do you design a car with no tire availability. Shame on Mazda.
    The part that makes me the most angry, is we asked the salesman if the tires on the car where standard 17inch easy to find tires, and he told us they were. I guess shame on us for not checking he was telling the truth.
    I am not even sure when we can get a replacement now. This was suppose to be our main vehicle for traveling, which we do quite frequently, but now feels like a useless car. If we get a flat on a 500 mile trip somewhere we are completely stranded.
    I am feeling really duped by both Mazda and our local dealership.
    tigerhawk -

Go to tirerack.com or better yet - CALL them. They can fix you up with tires.

I cannot believe you cannot get replacement tires.

Another idea - go to a different dealer more focused on service.
    thank you for agreeing with me! finally! it is such a shame....honestly. i have taken alot of pain staken time and effort to try to get mazda to fess up to the design flaw of the CX-7, needless to say with no luck! i purchased my cx-7 brand new from a local dealership and when i started having a ton of issues with the tires, i started at the dealership first. no-one believed me. i even called around to smaller tire dealers hoping for some luck. NOPE! after 6 months of back and forth, a BBB claim, a lemon law claim and a call to my state attorney general's office....i had gotten no-where. i have waisted my money on that car, and have since taken the HIT and have traded it in on a chevy. i was not having MAZDA take any of my money anymore......

i wish you the best of luck....and if anyone wants to do a class action against MAZDA, let me know!
    tigerhawk -
    I am not sure I agree with you 100%. The tires we got on the 2008 CX-7 (Grand Touring model) originally were 18" Goodyear RSAs which did not last long at all (but most cars do NOT come with premium tires - they come with whatever the "best deal" is for the manufacturer)

We switched out to 19" O-Z wheels and 19" Yokohama Paradas (both from the TireRack) - and the CX-7 has driven well since then. (much better handling for the vehicle and better wear on the tires)

We have not experienced any other issues with the CX-7 and have thought it was a good car for the money spent. (we have about 48K miles on it). It is much better in snow than our previous car - a 2001 Subaru Forester(probably because it is heavier and has a longer wheel base).

I think if you would have switched out the tires you would have found it is a good all-around vehicle.
  • pathybennypathybenny Member Posts: 5
    Hi guys, I own a 2007 CX-7 GT AWD. I'm looking to buy a used rims for winter use. Specs are 18 inch rims, 8 width and +40mm offset. Just wondering if this would fit my CX-7. Stock rims are 18 x 7.5 and 50mm offset.

Anybody knows if this would make a difference? Thanks!