Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I would think your hunch may be correct......it may need some work to be certified - like a new transmission.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Per our Certified page (tabbed from the edmunds.com main page), Lexus will only sell (certify) vehicles that are 5 years old or less, with less than 60,000 miles. So that should work fine for a 3 year old LX 470. When I search the listings for Certified LX 470's, 164 used ones show up, but they are all '03 and '04 models. But if I search for All 2002 models, some certified ones do appear.

Here's the link if you want to try it yourself. Maybe there's some near your zipcode.

Steve, Host
  • catlyncatlyn Member Posts: 1
    dealer by me is selling an 02 lx470 with 9,000 miles $45,000 asking price.....is this a good buy taking into account the low miles........also, any known problems with the 02 ? .... any help would be appreciated
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Member Posts: 1,289
    I wouldn't assume the LX470 is a lemon just because it isn't a Lexus Certified Used vehicle. There may be numerous reasons on why the dealer isn't certifying it.
    Among them:
    1) They payed too much for it when it came in to their lot.
    2) It may have not had all it's services done or records aren't available.

Of course it could have been in a accident also or could be a lemon buyback.

You may want to take it to a another shop to take a look at it for things like body damage, engine wear, shift quality.
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Member Posts: 120
    Has anyone compared the ML sound system versus the nakamichi,have heard
    different opinions.
  • jaf2jaf2 Member Posts: 1
    I was in Kazakhstahn last year and rode in a TLC with a turbo diesel engine. I was wondering if it is possible to purchase a Lexus LS470 with a turbo diesel engine and if it would be to the same level of luxury as the US version. If it is possible how would or could that be done. Also is the price significantly more and what is the miles per gallon comparison. I did notice that the diesel engine was much quieter than those i have been around in the USA. Does anyone have any insight here?
    LX470's are not available with a diesel option in the US. And they are probably not available anywhere else in the world also.
    The 2006 LX470 get's a power upgrade to 275bhp via variable valve timing on the 4.7L V8.
  • mdsequoiamdsequoia Member Posts: 22
    I don't own a LX470 but I do own a Sequoia and can share that I have had similar issues with mine over the last 2 year. My Toyota dealer was able to get the regional field tech out and after extensive testing they replaced all (5) tires and I had 15k on the odo. The vibration and hum was reduced and it was lot better. Last year I opted to put Nokian Snows on my Seq and they are noisy but they give me great snow traction. One odd thing occured when the dealer went to put my Michelins back on the balancing was way off the mark. It was horrible and they ended up sending it down to their Chrylser dealer who did a Road Force Balancing on the tires and while its still not 100% it is alot better than it was. The odd thing is the dealer installed the new tires and balanced them on the rims. I wonder since I am nearing 45k if the shocks need to be done or something else.

Vibration is not normal but the road noise could be due to tread design and if you are buying a vehicle that has a list of $65k plus then they should fix it for FREE especially since my Toyota dealer did. Next year it should be a TLC.
    Lexus SUV Upgrades Announced (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • mikeivanmikeivan Member Posts: 42
    I guess this means we wait till 2007 or later for the NEW LX, I am disappointed. Does anybody have any solid information on what the NEW LX will offer? The current model is stale and needs more than new colors and more horsepower to get me to trade. I love my 1999 LX, it will have to last another year (or more). :cry:
    Stale??? No kidding!! If the LX were a domestic, it would be maggot infested!! This platform is so old, it wore a liesure suit to the grand opening...... Guess I'll stay with my Navigator and wait too. No reason to buy into this dinosaur now...
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    Too bad the real joke is the Navigator. Older platform or not, I cannot for the life of me see how you feel the Navigator is a superior vehicle in any way. Even my 12 year old son could not believe the awful ergonomics of the Lincoln.
    Then by all means, do not buy one.
  • rstenlakerstenlake Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 RR LWB with just under 180000 miles on it. Still running strong. Yes there have been some repairs on it, mostly as you might expect, electrical. My friend has a '99 LX. It is a good strong truck at 90,000 miles. He had the timing belt, idlers and water pump replaced for around $2,000 and now the rear struts need to be replaced at $1,000 each. So I guess the bottom line is if you own either of these some of the repairs are going to be expensive. The leather in mine has his beat as his looks and feels like hard plastic. Off road they are about the same, but because of his running boards he is not able to make it all the places we have in mine. As far as reliability the LX is probable one of the very best you can get if you are careful about what the dealer takes you into fixing or replacing, and this would go for just about any vehicle as the service managers are on comission.....go figure!!! The new LX with more horse power will be at least 30 horse power behind the new RR or well over 100 hp under the new model depending on if you get the supercharged one or not. In addition, the RR will get better mileage than either the current or updated motor of the LX. I read an interview with the VP for european luxury auto group and quality is big on his agenda so that will be a plus for RR. In the long run, Toyota has to update the LX platform and drive train as it is light years behind RR for '06. I hope they do as this will put pressure on both companies to make a better product. So in summary, I love my RR as it is bigger inside and the interior and off road is better. In my opinion, even my body style is better. Quality...that will go to Toyota! Of course now that they are opening a big factory in Mexico we will have to see if there are start up problems. I think we should all send notes to Toyota to fix the ancient (mummified) platform and inadaquate motor, and then write RR and tell them to fix the quality problems (after all Jag did it) so we can all get better vehicles for our money. I would also like to see some upscale models with out all the electronics on them. I find I don't care about much of the items offered, although the new back up camera for the RR is nice for parking! Rick
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Toyota/Lexus has traditionally been a conservative company. Don't mess to much with a good product. They don't usually get into the Horse Power game. I agree that the LX/LC is dated compared to the competition. They are still very capable, reliable and comfortable SUVs. I see a lot of aggressive moves by Toyota/Lexus in their cars with the new Avalon, GS etc. These are some fine products. They will hopefully breathe some life into their SUV range.
  • proudxena2005proudxena2005 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have been thinking about planning to buy 2005 Lexus 470 or 2005 Lexus GX 470...in the Future.

I still think and asking Are 2005 Lexus LX 470 and 2005 Lexus GX 470 Bad Luck?

I just worry about it. What do you think? Be Honest with me. Tell The Truth.

that's What I want to hear...whatever you say.

Do you think they are :lemon: ?

I will wait to hear from you anytime.

From Good Friend

:confuse: :D:)
  • jharperjharper Member Posts: 1
    Hey, did you find your LX yet?
  • ndboomerndboomer Member Posts: 20
    It was posted earlier that the 2006 will include 3 new color options. Any idea what those will be?

Also, I have seen an LX advertised that included a dealer ordered supercharger from Toyota Racing Division (TRD). Any knowledge about the cost, performance and warranty issues with adding one of these?
    There might be some additional info over in the Toyota Racing Development (TRD) aftermarket parts and equipment discussion.

Steve, Host
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    the LX 4.7 235 HP engine...I have not yet driven a used 2000-2003 vehicle yet, but considering how much it weighs, are you all pleased with the engine performance, 0-60 acceleration onto the Interstate, 25-50 acceleration on local roads to avoid other idiots, etc...in other words, are you impressed with the luxury but annoyed at engine performance, or does engine performance please you as much as the interior luxury???
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    I have a Landcruiser, same 4.7 litre engine. Don't be fooled by the BHP. This engine has oodles of torque 320 lb feet at about 2000 RPM. This is the power you need to merge and pass on highways, Did a 2200 mile round trip from NJ to TN to GA. Performed flawlessly with ample power.
  • mikeivanmikeivan Member Posts: 42
    The thing weighs 5400 pounds, and when you floor it, nothing happens. I love the ride and the lux but the power sucks, as they say, nothing like my wife's 430.
    I have to agree. Between the power deficit, the joke of a third seat, and lack of other features, I have taken the current version off my list of potentials. Hoping the next version is updated significantly to modern specs.
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Sorry for the late response. I don't check this site much.

But to your question: "Hey, did you find your LX yet?" Well, Yes and No. Yes, I did find a lightly used (16K miles) 2003 LX beige/tan, loaded and listed for $46,900. I offered full price. No, I don't own it now because the owner decided against selling. Said she received too many low-ball offers and got upset, hence she decided against selling and pulled the ad. I told her if she ever changes her mind, she should give me a call and I'll take it off her hands at whatever her asking price was. This truck was everything I wanted. Tough luck for me ! So the search continues....
  • carnutincacarnutinca Member Posts: 35
    Power on the 06 has been increased to 275 hp. Plus in 04 Lexus went to a new 5 speed tranny that is flawless. Power is no longer a concern. Granted, the 3rd row seat is indeed a joke but the LX470 is a mid size SUV not full size. The LX is actually 1" shorter than the LS430 and easily fits in the garage. I don't know what other options are missing that you are complaining about. The Mark Levinson stereo is now standard and is integrated with bluetooth.

I totally agree that a major exterior design change is needed.
  • skramaswskramasw Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 LX 470.

This started about a week ago. I get an annoying possibly a "warning" noise from the dashboard. None of the indicators light up. After iturn on the ignition,this noise starts after about 15 secs or so. I checked all the fuses and they all seem fine.

This noise is a high frequency "continuous beep". I am trying to avoid going to the dealer. Any ideas?

Thanks
  • fla528fla528 Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone here converted the factory headlights to Xenons??
    I have a 2000 LX 470 and would like to change to xenons..

thanks for any input...
  • sracesrace Member Posts: 2
    I am on my second LX470. My firsts was a 2001 and now I have a 2005. I did own a Navigator (98) before these and there is no comparison. I didn't want to trade in my 2001 because I loved it too much. The 2005 is just as wonderful. the most reliable car I have ever owned and the best service of any. The drive, pickup and comfort is by far the best on the market. I did try to buy another car simply because there was no change in the 2005. I tried hard and just couldn't do it. I would have been terribly unhappy. Yes, Lexus is stale, but it is still the best. I do want a better third seat system that works with the touch of a button and a tailgate like the smaller version which opens two ways. Another 6" between the second and third seat would be great. Then this car would be perfect. Can't go back after having a Lexus!
  • sracesrace Member Posts: 2
    I bought my new LX 470 in December and had them install the XM radio right at the dealership. I love it!
  • carsatancarsatan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 LX470 (outside USA) with regular halogen low beams but Xenon-HID high beams(!!!). Not sure of the value since I rarely use high beams. I definitely would consider a conversion for low beams if it is a simple procedure.
    By the way mine has what is called VGRS (variable gear ratio steering). Anyone has info on this system? It sounds like an active steering (sort of)?
  • ace8ace8 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where the air conditioner cabin air filters are on a 2001 lx470?
    The owners manual has a picture indicating the glove box area, but I can't find them! Help!
  • njpaguynjpaguy Member Posts: 55
    I have an 01 Land Cruiser. Owners manual indicates same, but Toyota parts people indicate they do not have a part number for the filter. It's possible the filter is available in markets other than the US.

If you find out otherwise, please let me know. Thanks!
  • vatvatsethovatvatsetho Member Posts: 18
    This is what i think should happen....I wouldn't mind seeing a 4th SUV added to the Lexus lineup....ie VX. The VX would go against the Escalade, QX56, and Navi. While the LX would go against the Range Rover, G-class. I can see the VX more of a RX than a GX or LX....meaning like not much off roader....highway and city use. The LX would still stay...the awesome 4-wheeler it is now. And then I would make the GX more 'sport' oriented, less off roading...to go against the ML, X5, Range Rover Sport. The RX will still be the same, the good car based SUV it is.
  • boat2boat2 Member Posts: 4
    Just took delivery of 2006 LX470. I had driven the 2005 but waited and ordered the 2006 as it comes with more horsepower (275 hp) It's a awesome vehicle and I couldn't be happier owning it. A pleasure to drive.
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    I specced out an 06 LX470 over a 06 Land Cruiser (sounds ridiculous, but I want the rain sensors, electroluminescent instrument panel, memory seats, and Mark Levinson) and I noticed on one of the pages that Lexus Link will be available 08/05. I guess I have no reason to doubt that, but on the other hand I have not found any press releases confirming it's return.

I also wonder if the return of Lexus Link will bring back an integrated phone system (not just bluetooth enabled, but a system that also is tied into the charging system and external antennae.

mgreene
  • bradespbradesp Member Posts: 21
    Guys,

I'm looking to buy a used LX 470 year 1999 or 2000 or a Sequoia year 2001 or 2002. Aside from the Sequoia being newer, are there any other pros' / con's to looking at purchasing one of these two vehicles?

Thanks!

bradesp
  • spelgspelg Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know what might be causing this grumbling sound when I apply the brake between 15-10mph. It just started after a massive rain storm, but has persisted for the past few days. What is it, and how much will it cost?
  • yrbenderyrbender Member Posts: 25
    They are 2 very different vehicles and depends on your needs. If you need the room the sequoia is the way to go. But, you will sacrifice the ride. There is no compairson with the ride of the 470 and sequoia. The latter was built on a truck platform and you can really tell. If the cabin room is not an issue 470 is the way to go. I have had one for 1 year and there is no compairson I have a 2005 model my only complaint is no hill decent control! I have no idea why nor does the dealer it came on the GX but not LX. Its not a big deal because you can lock the diff. and put in 4 lo but my wife has trouble with all the steps and it is a pain.
  • mgreenemgreene Member Posts: 32
    So , does this mean you will no longer be posting to a board dedicated to a vehicle you will not be purchasing?

mgreene

btw....that is leisure suit.
  • tiffanymaotiffanymao Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2004 LX recently.
    We felt the two front seats are not very comfortable. We felt the metal string across the seat in the 'Lumbar Support' area is hurting our low back. Regardless how we adjust the lumbar support, the string appears to be too tight and hurts our low back.
    Does anyone have same feeling? Is there an easy fix or is it covered by warranty to have it fixed/adjusted?

Thanks,
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Member Posts: 252
    Best way to go about this is to go sit in another LX470. That'll tell you if there is something wrong with your seats. My guess is that you are probably not used to sitting in SUV vehicles. They have a slight different feel compared to a sedan.

Just my two cents.
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I have a 2004 LX470, and I don't notice any of the problem you describe with the seat. No one is more critical of seat comfort than I am, and I think the LX seats are better than most. I like them better than those in my '05 LS430.
  • nad1nad1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all ....

Does anyone know when is the re-desigened model of LX 470 will be released ???

Is it in 2007 or 2008?
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    Automotive news is reporting the the LX will be replaced by the new JX model. It will be a new body-on-frame SUV, "arriving for the 2008 model year." Most likely with a 5.4 liter V8 as the only engine.
  • nad1nad1 Member Posts: 2
    thank you indeed ..... now I decided to buy the 2006 LX 470 .... hhhh
  • yrbenderyrbender Member Posts: 25
    The lx 470 does not have a current redesign set the JX 470 will be a new model added to the line up in 2007
    I doubt very much that with this current trend of high gas prices, Toyota/Lexus will introduce yet another SUV. If anything, they could drop one from the lineup. In my opinion ...
  • flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Per Autoweek, JX will replace LX....

JX: JX is the name given to Lexus' new body-on-frame SUV, arriving for the 2008 model year. One engine likely will be offered, a 5.4-liter V-8. The JX will share a rwd platform with the upcoming redesigned Tundra pickup. The JX will replace Lexus' LX SUV.
    So the long held belief is turning out to be true .. that LX replacement will be based on Sequoia platform and no longer tied to the LC chassis. It kind of makes sense considering target audience of LX replacement will be those who WILL NOT take their trucks off pavement. Why sell them a more expensive (to Toyota) vehicle when they can sell them a cheaper to make (again, to Toyota) chassis and still charge the same price.