Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    will actually be based on the new full size (think Ford F-150 size) 2007 Tundra platform that the Sequoia will also use in it's 2008 redesign.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    Last week I traded my 04 LS430 for an 06 LX470, so I started monitoring this site, but no one is posting. I was told by dealership that this LX is to be redesigned for model year 2008 and that is also what AutoWeek said (they name it JX).
    I had to load my entire phonebook one number at a time--just like in 04--Next time I'm going to find a better way. Still getting used to the car, but am very well acquainted with Lexus, as this is my sixth. My wife drives an RX330. For the next few days I'll be driving this LX in the Northern New Mexico mountains. The manual says to place the vehicle in Sport mode when on winding roads or at high speeds. That seems like it will be a very rough ride if I do. How do you'll set the suspension for high speed highway driving?
  • rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    I leave the suspension in my '04 set at the softest setting for all kinds of driving.
  • bennychbennych Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I also traded my LS(2005), my thoird, for the 2006 LX and love it. I regret not doing it sooner. After 3 months of ownership, I've put 7000 miles on it and it is just great. I have a bad back and find the LX very comfortable for travelling. I too tend to just leave it in the comfort mode. I don't find any need for sport. When in the mountains it feels a little too soft, try the sport mode.

The phone features are a little disappointing as I too hve to load one at a time. The same phone loads automatically in my BMW X5 each time I start. Other than that, though, the electronics in the LX is superior to anything else I owned.

Good luck with your new vehicle. Keep posting. I too would like to see more here.
  • darindadarinda Member Posts: 3
    We r buying the 2006LX. The color of our choice is pearl white from prior models but in 06 lexus is offering crystal white rather than pearl white. Need to know if there is a sig difference in the new color from the old pearl white. I have not yet seen the crystal white on new 06 models yet. Would appreciate any input on this.
    "bennych": You are correct!!! Just returned from a 1,450 mile trip to New Mexico in my 06 LX and was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it was. I have made the trip at least 4 times in my 04 LS and my legs would go to sleep, my back would ache and I would be very tired out from the drive--But no so in the LX! The LX does not have the zip that the LS did and the gas mileage was terrible (14.3 mpg), I was still able to maintain an average speed in excess of 75. I only had 400 miles on the LX when I started the trip, so I obviously didn't follow any recommended "break-in period" . Anyone know if I have damaged the car by putting so many highway miles on it when it had so few miles?
    Anyone have any suggestions on improving gas mileage on an 06 LX? Is there an air intake kit or exhaust kit that has proved effective at increasing mpg?
  • bennychbennych Member Posts: 8
    Glad you enjoyed your trip. I don't have a break-in answer but I seriously doubt you could have hurt it. Most dealers have told me to just drive and enjoy. The only thing BMW says is vary the speed, stay away from cruise control, and keep you speed under 106 mph during break-in! Given your average speed, it wouldn't seem you had any problems with that.

The only thing I've been able to do about mileage and pain at the pump is drive conservatively around town and think about how much pain at the pump is better than pain in the back.

Keep posting.
  • mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Don't drive 75 and you'll see much better stats.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    slow down, use the cruise control, check the tire pressure, and don't carry anything on the roof.
  • dschachteldschachtel Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a k & n air filter about a week ago. It appears to give me an increase of 1-2 MPG.
    Thanks, Did you get just the replacement filter or an air cleaner kit or induction system?
    Does anyone know how to play the DVD while driving? I have found a way to use the Nav while driving, but it does not override the DVD. (this is on an 06 LX--gen 4 nav)
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Funny thing, when checking out the Most Significant SUV over $45,000 I noticed this year they featured the LX 470 and Land Cruiser. Back in 2003 the Range Rover was introduced, and since then it has made the lists in 2004 and 2005. Why not 2006?

The LX 470 and Land Cruiser are old vehicles, so I'm wondering why the editors chose them this year as most wanted. There are other good competitors, the Navigator, QX56, Escalade.
    Most Significant SUV over $45,000 Where????
  • glfhlicglfhlic Member Posts: 3
    how do you use the nav while driving? i have tried and cannot seem to get it done. i would really appreciate finding out. thanks
    A set of button pushes can override the lockout on most 2004,2005, & 2006 Lexus NAVs until the next time the vehicle is restarted by pushing the buttons in the following order: menu > volume > top left of screen, bottom left, top left, bottom left > override ((hold for several seconds until override is highlighted and beep occurs) > back. Destinations can then be entered while moving.
  • saeefansaeefan Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: I guss I am not that luky. my LX 2001 rarely driven (35000 Mile). suspension just failed to LO. and want come up at all. Dealer asking for $4500 to repair.
    Did anyone have any experance with this. this is just too much to think about.
  • 66stang66stang Member Posts: 9
    Starting to research the '06 LX470 so that I can purchase. Can you tell me appx. what you paid compared to MSRP? Was it considerably lower? Higher? Same? Wondering if I should wait until December to purchase (re:year end sale numbers). Any thoughts?
    I paid low $60's for an O6 LX Dallas area dealer
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    Just about to jump into the LX boat (no pun intended) and was wondering if there is any issue(s) I should be worried about this truck. I am buying a lightly used 2003 LX470. Dealer (in Houston) is asking $39,988, is that a good deal ? Will appreciate any input from you owners....

Thx
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey OAC, don't forget about TMV.

You may want to ask over in Real-World Trade-In Values too.

Oh, you did. Nevermind; I should have known you still knew your way around this place. ;-)

Steve, Host
    Thanks, Pat... Just covering all the bases....
  • luapluap Member Posts: 21
    I currently own an LS430 (great and best ride ever) and an RX330 (both 2004) and now that I am retired, I would like to go to one vehicle. I want to stay with an SUV for long trips up north in the summer and the cargo room, so I looked at and drove a 2006 LX470 and can't figure out what Lexus objectives are. I am not an off-road driver and live in FL so 4WD or AWD are nice but not necessary. I will NEVER use the high-low 4WD feature, but would pay dearly for it. For the life of me, I can not figure out (and neither can the dealer) why such things as: POWER TAIL GATE, SMART KEY, PARKING SENSORS, AUTO SEATBELT HEIGHT ADJUSTERS, etc., are not available as options. Why isn't it an SUV with the amenities of an LS430? I have also found that the color selection is very poor and limited, there's a better selection on less expensive Lexus vehicles. What is Lexus thinking? I want to buy a new SUV by April 2006 but right now I don't think the LX470 is my choice, so I will continue searching (any suggestions?). It would be nice if Lexus came out with an SUV equipped like the LS430 and geared towards non off-roaders. Am I alone on this or do others feel the same way?
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Luap, I understand where you are coming from. I am in the market for a new SUV as I have a 2002 Mercedes-Benz ML500 that I will be trading.

I considered the Lexus LX470 but it is looking very dated as it has not changed since 1998. I saw the new 1998 Lexus at the Los Angeles auto show when it came out. To me, its looking very "long in the tooth" compared to other newly styled SUV's. And, it's missing many key features that you mentioned in your post and for nearly $70,000???? Are they crazy???

I have to say that I would consider a Lexus but they just don't have the perfect vehicle for me. The GX was a possibility but the big-backwards-rear-swing-out door will not work. For one thing, if it's raining, you are not protected with that BIG door vs. a lift gate. Also, if someone is parked close to you, it would be difficult or maybe impossible for you to open that big huge door.

The third seats fold on the side taking up cargo space. There were just too many things NOT working with the Lexus product for me.

A friend of mine just bought the new 2006 RX400 and loves it. I need 7 passenger seating so I'm very limited on what is available.

Right now, the Land Rover LR3 is at the top of my list with the Jeep Commander and Volvo XC90. All have three seats and big V8 engines. The reliability of the Land Rover has me hesitating but it's my favorite right now.

Good luck on your search! Mark :D
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • luapluap Member Posts: 21
    Mark - I appreciate the feedback. I also like the LR3 (HSE), but the reliability (latest Consumer Guide/Reports) is my concern. Maybe more data will be available in the very near future. In the mean time, I think I'll take an XC90 and LR3 out for a "spin". What a shame that LEXUS makes a product that appeals to a very small population. I don't think the LX470 is breaking any sales records. I sent them an email but never received a response - I wonder why. I guess it's time to shop around.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Toyota in general has a "We know what's best for you attitude". But they make really good cars/trucks and people buy them. My brother recently was looking for a 4Runner until he was told that he couldn't have the sunroof and Navigation together. What's up with that. Anyway he brought a Honda Pilot.

If you aren't happy with the LX470, you may want to consider the MDX. It's the best Soft Roader out there. I would stay away from LR3 due to quality issues unless you are leasing in which case you will be still under warranty.
    I can understand why someone would want a vehicle with the combined features of an LX470 and an LS430, but without the off-road features. I happen to have an '05 LS and an '04 LX. I use the LX for most of my around-town errand running, and the LS for most of my highway driving. I don't need the off-road features of the LX, I don't need the awd, and I don't need the 8 passenger capability. But I do need the hauling capability. I've been looking at the Audi Q7. It has a lot of features that the LX doesn't have, like keyless ignition, power tailgate, and adaptive cruise control. I don't especially like the styling, though. The MB R500 is interesting, too, but MB carries a lot of negatives for me, and I don't like the styling of it, either.
    Well, we'll agree to disagree on this one.

I live in the Northeast. I would not consider a 2WD truck. And I certainly don't understand the point of a 2WD SUV -- if you don't need 4WD, get a minivan or station wagon instead.

As for a power tail gate, that would be ok, but not required for me. Parking sensors would be a good thing. I've got no need for a smart key and think auto seatbelt height adjusters are completely pointless.

Are the LX470 and Land Cruiser a bit long in the tooth? Sure. But unlike many poser competitors, they are actually competent off road (albeit a tad large and the angles aren't great).

My point is that what is a requirement to you may not even be a nice to have for someone else.
    This discussion is very interesting to me. I own a '99 LS which began its life Nov 1998, 7 years and 109K miles later it continues to soldier on unperturbed. I am amazed at the quality and reliability of this car. It sounds and drives like new, despite the years and the miles.... And that, more than anything else was what made the decision to own another Lexus a no-brainer.

This past week, I purchased a 2003 LX470, although I live in So Cal where 4WD is not a necessity, there is a plan to move out east next year, so I will need the 4WD of the LX. For a very brief time, I considered the Porsche Cayenne S Turbo, but reliability issues doomed that thought. Land Rover, Range Rover, and ML have way too many reliability issues as well, so I didn't consider these. At the end I went back to the LX after not finding anything else better out there. For sheer quality, solidness, reliability, and ultimate luxurious f/s SUV, you'd be hard pressed to find another truck better than the LX.

In many reviews of f/s luxury SUVs, the LX has either been on top or a whisker from winning, despite its age and power deficiences. The LX just keeps trucking on.... just like the LC has been for 50 years now.
  • psigon13psigon13 Member Posts: 1
    I understand all the issues mentioned and took them into consideration in my own decision making process, but I went ahead with the purchase of an 06 LX470. I would've liked the smart key and my wife would've preferred the power liftgate. Other than that the car is loaded with all the amenities and safety features anyone could ask for. Ultimately, the butter smooth ride and superb reliability seemed more important than either gripe. And to some poeple, like myself, I love the fact that the car can really handle itself off road...although, I can't ever see myself putting it to the test.

The looks of a car is always a subjective opinion, but I'm 30 and I love the distinguished look of the LX. I took a look at the Escalade, Navigator, QX, Rangerover, XC90 and Toureg for comparison. None of those had the perfect blend of refinement and reliability the LX achieves with ease. To me, it was an easy choice.
    If there was a Lexus minivan, I might buy one of those. I traded a Sienna for my LX, by the way, and my wife was very unhappy about it, saying that the Sienna was better than the LX in every way. Well, I don't agree with that. Some of the difference is psychological.
    I suppose I'm in the minority. I regularly take my 2003 4Runner offroad. Not Moab, mind you, but I do take it offroad hunting and fishing.
    Is the spare tire part of the Low Tire Pressure Warning system? I have been to the dealer twice this week because the warning like came on on my dash--and stayed on. Each time the dealer checked the tire pressure; added where needed; and reset the system--But they never told me they checked the spare, so I was wondering if that is where the problem might be. Anyone have any ideas?
  • gas61gas61 Member Posts: 1
    The '03-'05 LX470 has the ability to tow 6500lbs with 12,400lbs combined weigth limit. The bumper hitch/reveiver, standard on the '03-05', has a 5000/10,9000 lb. limit. Using an under the bumper mounted Toyota/lexus hitch will allow the higer rating. The mounting holes are there. I confirmed this with the dealer, Lexus Customer Sat and serching the Lexus/Toyota tech websites. The '06 LX swithed back to the under bumber hitch (the same as the LC) and a 6500lb rating.
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    A drop in tempearture decreases the tire pressure. The same thing happened in my brother's Honda Pilot.
    Of all the LX470 colors, which ones have the most appeal, popular or sells best ? I am inclined to think the rare/unique ones like Sand Dollar Pearl, or Riverrock Mica (or whatever Lexus calls it these days). I've heard that Black/tan is a more popular choice than White/tan. Is that the case ? And what about Silver, Green, or Blue ?
    I buy only Black, White or Red--Have 6 trade-ins to Lexus dealer--Black always gets to most $ from my dealer on trade. Have another Black/Black on order.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When I use the Used Car Appraiser tool here, I rarely see more than $100 difference in color choice.

I like white and red, but black is too hard us lazy types to keep clean.

Steve, Host
    Keeping it clean is no problem. My Lexus dealer washes it free 8am to 4pm, 6 days a week, just because you purchased from him!
    My '03 arrived today, all dirty and grimy from the long haul from TX to CA. After a nice hand wash/wax job, it is sparkling and spotless. What a nice truck ! The Sand Dollar Pearl color really is a great color, IMO. Its kinda cool-ish. Not that bright as a white, not that blendish as Silver. Just the right tone of understated elegance that truly makes the truck stand out, like I say, imo. Now to the hard part: Learning all the gizmos on this truck. The 400-page manual is full of bland/crappy stuff. I don't think I ever read my LS manual, but I do need to go through this '03 manual. Way too many things that could go wrong in this truck. Besides, it gives me something to do in the garage *learning* about the car... I can get to watch a movie in the RES DVD system while pretending to study the manual and checking the features. Even my wife who is not easily impressed was quite taken in by the LX. She's never really been a fan, but now says she loves it. We'll see who gets to drive the truck more - she or me .... :)
  • jwtttjwttt Member Posts: 1
    I thought that my 1999 LX 470 would last forever, well at least longer than my 1985 El Dorado. It has turned out to be more costly than my Cadillac in repairs.

I went over the 75K mark in Sept, just under seven years and everything has fallen apart. The -u-joint clunk turned out to be the rear diff and the after market warr LEXUS sold me had fine print that put in a "used" one with 62K miles unless I opted for a new one.

When I got it back after 3 weeks I still had the clunk and now it whines at 55-75, which it did not do before. Took it back in for 5 weeks and was told the noise was an irritant and not warr, either by LEXUS or the Millennium after market. They now tell me I need a new transfer case and front drive shaft! NO LEXUS goodwill. Wrote LEXUS corp and JAPAN and they told me to BUZZ off, so much for the "LEXUS COVENANT"

It is no better than any American car I have owned and it cost a whole lot more.

I am filling a CALIF consumer complaint to see if they will do anything.

Any similar problems with the diff and transfer case or did I just get a LEMON?

Jim
  • blakeandersonblakeanderson Member Posts: 1
    as you give instuctions on using the nav system while driving, when you put the ">" symbol, what do you mean here? Is there a way to use the nav system as DVD while driving?
    the symbol ">" means "next move"
    When I got it back after 3 weeks I still had the clunk and now it whines at 55-75, which it did not do before. Took it back in for 5 weeks and was told the noise was an irritant and not warr, either by LEXUS or the Millennium after market. They now tell me I need a new transfer case and front drive shaft!

Hi Jwitt: I just came across this post of yours. Can you provide some clarifications on these problems ?

a) What would you describe as a *clunk* ? Is that from a lurch in the tranny ?
    b) What is a whine ? Is that a buzzing/drone sound at the footwell/gas pedal at freeway speeds from the chassis or tranny?

Have you found any other LX of your age or generation model that has some or all of these issues ? I am curious to find out. I subscribe to other dedicated LX forums (do a search on the web for these) and have yet to see these issues in great debate. Maybe I am not searching enough for these problems. FWIW, my '03 with 50K miles does NOT have any of the issues you describe. But I gotta keep my fingers crossed to see if these issues ever come up. I bought the truck for its reliability. If it turns out otherwise, I'll surely be very disappointed.

Pls keep us updated on the resolution of these issues.
  • age3age3 Member Posts: 1
    Today Lexus service picked up our LX 470 with 28,000 miles and claim our tires are "bald". I thought the tires should be good for 40-50,000 miles. Anyone have any information on how long the tires should last?
    There are two many variables to give an answer to that. It depends upon the type of tire (some are softer than others), whether they were properly inflated, whether the alignment was proper, driving style, etc.

The Dunlops on my 2003 4Runner have about 30,000 miles on them. They're not bald, but they don't have a huge amount of life left in them. I'll replace them next summer (I'm currently running on my snow tires).

You don't have to take the service departments word for it. It's easy to determine if the tires are "bald" -- simply look at them yourself.

28,000 miles seems a bit early to have to replace the tires, but not outrageously so. Look at them yourself and decide.
  • hallinihallini Member Posts: 13
    I am deciding between LX 470 (do not like GX470 rear swing door or small storage compartments & RX is too small) or a Range Rover HSE. The LR-3 is practical but I'm not hot on the looks -- love the RR Sport but it's a tad small. My concern w/ RR is that it will be in the shop a lot and the nearest dealership is 100 miles away. Did you buy a car yet? If so, what did you buy and are you happy? BTW, BMW is coming out with a new and larger X5 at the end of the year. :D
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    If you really are even considering purchasing a vehicle with a price tag of $70 000!! and need seating for 7 why don't you go test drive a new Suburban, Yukon XL or Denali XL?

You will get the finest interior with all extras on Suburban at nearly half the price compared to that $70000 Lexus 470. And if you just want to spend the money go up on Yukon and then to Denali. They will take your money and you will get some extras.

And you will have plenty of room for seating. These are really full size SUVs.

Arrie
  • dragsterdragster Member Posts: 1
    Hello all i'm new to this room. I have always loved lexus vehicles and I'm thinking about purchasing a lexus certified white with tan interior 2002 lx470. The dealer wants 37,900, with 38,000 miles on it. It has all the bells and whisles on it with the tv's in the head rests. Do you all think this is a good price. I think i will try to get it for 33,000 what do you all think please.?????????????????????????????????????? :shades: