Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle CVT Transmissions

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited June 2011
    The transmission AND rear end went out within 2,000 miles. Coincidence?

Maybe not, at least on the transmission. If you had it power flushed (and maybe even "engine" flushed), gunk could have gotten stirred up.

I only do a simple drain and fill, and only rarely.

Good post about the issue:

amigo_john, "Isuzu Trooper" #8070, 30 Jun 2003 7:46 am

Another aside, seems like a lot of Nissan Murano owners have also had CVT problems. Caulk it up to newer technology?
  • powerstrokekpowerstrokek Member Posts: 1
    We bought an 06 model of this car, and I personally along with the rest of my family hate it. I was against it from the start because, I'm a big chevy/ GMC guy. But my opinion didn't count because my parents were buying the car. After 99,000 miles the cars Torque Converter went out. This was a 2200$ fix. Then 6 months later at 114,000 miles the cars CVT transmission went out. This is a 5800$ fix. Now Ford couldn't give a rats [non-permissible content removed] about us. Neither do the dealers. The car is only worth 8100$ I would not buy this car.
  • chelley35chelley35 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 06 Ford Freestyle back in January 2011, and just recently started having trouble with the throttle/transmission. In drive it will lunge forward and in reverse it lunges and sometimes the "wrench" light will come on and it will cut off and then when I start it back up it runs fine and then it will repeat itself not often but it's beginning to become bothersome, so have an official recall been issued?
  • gajedigajedi Member Posts: 4
    I had those same symptoms with our 2007 FS at about 75,000 miles. Turned out to be a bad throttle body... Open and check the air filter housing for any deris... Luckily, the EasyCare covered the repair. Wish it were so for the tranny that just started to fail at 102K... Just 2000 past the end of the term, and only 9K after the dealer did the CVT service (supposedly!)... :mad:
  • bigmike204bigmike204 Member Posts: 2
    I have a used 2007 i just bought. Had for a few months and it was been great. Tonight I was waiting in a drive thru line and had it ideling with the brake on and i noticed it started to surge a little. I got out of kine and parked. I noticed the wrench light was on. I turned off the car for a couple of minutes and the light never came back on and it hasn't surged again yet. Is the start of horrible things? Can I prevent it from getting worse? What is my next best move?
  • debbiew75debbiew75 Member Posts: 19
    well... i just got rid of mine. it had 97,000 miles on it. it was a 2007. it had 2 new throttle bodies, a new transmission, and the rear brakes had been replaced 3 times. good luck to all who own these pieces of junk. they are not worth anything when you trade them in. and, i had to before something else went wrong with it. 1st recall replacement on the brakes at 30,000. 1st throttle body at 50,000. rear brakes again at 70,000. brand new transmission which turned out to be rebuilt because ford doesn't make them anymore at 75,019... yeah barely missed the extended warranty. 2nd throttle body at 80,000. 3rd rear brakes at 92,000. and the car had started making some strange noises when i traded it in.
  • cabhoneycabhoney Member Posts: 8
    Oh my gosh! Mind did the exact same thing! I noticed the last few weeks it was lunging every once and awhile, but dismissed it as me being paranoid. Then the other day, that wrench light came on. I also bought mine used and have had it 8 months. It has 50k miles. Drove it to the dealer and they lifted the hood and said, "Ma'am, you've really got something bad wrong with your car." That was Thursday and so tommorow I might hear what is wrong. I loved my car up to this point, but after reading this forum, it's very sad.
  • sindersinder Member Posts: 37
    Oh NO !! I hope it is not your transmission. And if it is, I sure hope you are still under warranty.

ftr....I received a message Friday from an attorney that has a class action suit against Ford for another issue. He wants to discuss THIS transmission issue. I be calling him tomorrow and will post any information.

I would LOVE to see FORD be held accountable.
    My local dealer won't give me a break and wants to charge between 5-6k to fix. I also contacted Ford headquarters and they say they are talking to the dealer. Also reported it to the NHSTA for the lunging. I am going to let it sit at the dealer as long as I can, as they will hardly give me anything for a trade in.
  • mmisch1mmisch1 Member Posts: 1
    I just sent my info for the class action; we'll see how it goes. Thank you for posting the info.
    The surging was a frightening and dangerous event, and I am pretty unhappy about hearing others have had the same problem. If I had not been searching the net for info on how my xmission works, I would have never found out that this problem is not limited to my vehicle (except for anecdotal evidence from local mechanics), as I'm sure Ford will not willingly confess it.
    I faxed in all my documentation and hopefully they will be able to move forward with the suit.

I was scared to death, as I was crossing a busy intersection when my transmission started to go. The car stopped for no reason, and I pushed the gas pedal more and more....steering at oncoming traffic. NOTHING ! :confuse: I turned it off, I restarted the car, and it SURGED forward, with no control from me. The wrench light came on and the rest as they say...................is terrible customer service from FORD :lemon:

If you know anyone else that has had this problem, please let them know about the attornies. I wish I had time to go through this entire forum, but I can't right now.

Sinder
    A class action lawsuit was filed in May against Ford regarding the throttle body issues on the Freestyle...hoping they also tack on transmission issues...both have caused accidents. You can go to http://girardgibbs.com/ for more information.

Let them hear from ALL of us !!
    A class action lawsuit was filed in May against Ford regarding the throttle body issues on the Freestyle...hoping they also tack on transmission issues...both have caused accidents. You can go to www.girardgibbs.com for more information.

The more the attorney hears from us the better the chance they will add the transmissions issues to the suit. They are expensive to repair and parts makers are no...
  • 1lessford1lessford Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Ford Freestyle that is currently in the shop. I am being told that it needs a new transmission even though it was drivable when dropped of at the dealer. They are say its $5,800.00 fix. Unbelievable. I would welcome a class action suit.
    Well please be certain to contact the attorney. The more people that scream about this dangerous problem, the better.

Regards,
    Sinder
    Oh, and btw........... you will NOT be getting a "new" transmisssion because they don't make them anymore.

You will be getting a remanned/rebuilt one. Isn't that some crap ???
    Posted last week about my transmission, that is supposedly fixed now. Had started lunging but my local dealer couldn't get it to lunge, so they couldn't fix it. Today, at my dad's funeral, it had two episodes of revving, lunging, then dying. Was able to drive it home 50 miles and straight back to the dealer. Thank God we didn't hit anyone at Starbucks drive thru, but this couldn't have happened on a worse day.
  • taralee1taralee1 Member Posts: 3
    Mine has been doing the lunging, sometimes it would die etc etc etc. Before that the transmission started making a little noise. Mechanic said it was a bearing and would probably last for awhile, but eventually would need to be fixed (this was before 50K miles). After the transmission noise is when the lunging started (mainly on really hot days) Today the RPM's started being weird while I was driving on the highway. I pulled in the driveway and the small noise was a loud constant noise. I tried to drive it again and the RPM's will not shift they just keep going up when I accelerate. I contacted the attorneys and let them know the situation. There is no reason for a car that has been maintained with 55K miles to break down. Bunch of Crap!
  • teacher21teacher21 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2011
    first,i took it to a transmission shop,been told its a bearing noise and i have to take it to the dealer coz they dont fix cvt,so i went to dealer and the funny thing is that after they made me pay $200 to diagnose it,they said its the input shaft bearing and they dont carry parts for that type of transmission so the whole transmission has to be replaced at a cost around $7000.what kind of crap is this? no parts! why they diagnose it at first place and made me lose $200?it was obvious that the noise was coming from the transmission.And is it acceptable that ford motor company dont provide parts for transmission,why they sell this kind of junk? and why do we have to be responsible? it looks like am not the only one to complain about that issue,what should be done ? its not fair.
  • 07freestyle07freestyle Member Posts: 1
    Hey I'm with you ours has 62k and the same thing happened to us. Did Ford provide any assitance? We can't belie it went out at 2k over the warranty. Not sure if we should let the dealer fix it.
  • taralee1taralee1 Member Posts: 3
    I got lucky because I was at 56K miles. They told me I was within the Fords powertrain warranty which is 60K miles or 5 years. I was at 56K and my 5 years will end next April. The dealership traded it in as nothing was wrong since Ford will fix it and I got a Navigator. I could have gotten it fixed myself, but this seems to be an ongoing problem and would probably just happen again so I got rid of it before I reached my 60K and was stuck with it. I hope they figure someone out soon for those of you over 60K miles.
  • robcook1robcook1 Member Posts: 1
    I've gone ahead and filed a complaint with the NHTSA and the class action suit. Everybody needs to do the same. There is only about 250 complaints on the NHTSA; we need to have a lot more to get anything done.

My vehicle "lurches" when it is hot; and you go from 'park' to any drive gear. Even with the brake pedal depressed; it'll 'jump' or 'lurch' while the engine revs up. Then the wrench light comes on.
  • snoop3snoop3 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    My car is doing the same thing and this is the 4th transmission issues I have had since 2008 (3 just since dec 2010). The first in 2008 which ford replaced under warranty (not sure if it was replaced with a new one). The second was replaced in Dec 2010 but with a used one which only lasted for 28 days and then the business that supplied this transmission replaced it because it was less than 30 days purchased (under their business warranty). I am now having problems with it again. The lundging fwd and now the wrench sign is on. I am taking it to a dealer on monday but I already know that it is transmission issues again. This car is making me sick from stress. I have tried to trade it in but the book value of the vehicle is low (max is $6000) due to ford no longer making the vehicle. Parts are hard to find for it. I would never advise anyone to buy a ford as they would not assist me at all during any of my transmission problems.
  • bechuckabechucka Member Posts: 1
    We are having the lurching issue as well on super hot days, the dealer claims there is nothing wrong.

We had to have our transmission replaced at 78,000 miles, we had purchased the extended warranty, but it was only good until 75,000 miles. Ford was very unhelpful through this process, kept saying that his was an issue that they were shocked by, like we were the only ones experiencing this problem.

I did file a complaint with the NHTSA. Hoping they can do something regarding both issues.
  • wildstonewildstone Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the whine problem with my 06 freestyle awd to the extent that I've traded on a new Subaru Forester. Ford service said no parts are available and a new tranny would would be $7K plus. What gets me is that I had the lurch and rev problem as well as the falling into 'failsafe' mode issues last year, along with the same whine. I paid about $700 Canadian for a new throttle control module and everything was fine. I even went to Florida and back. Now the whine has returned with a vengance. I had the same service dept run the computer check on my car and it comes back clean. However, why did changing the module fix the whining before? I'm thinking there is some sort of feedback issue with the computer programming for the throttle control module that may be causing the transmission wear. Pure speculation on my part but, while I realize correlation is not necessarily causation, the parallel issue and fix the first time is bothersome. Not to mention that my wife is in full-flight conspiracy mode regarding Ford on this issue. (Notice we didn't buy another Ford.) FYI I have 190 thousand kilometres on the car and have loved it dearly and hate to part with it. The potential safety issue is such though, that I won't keep it to give to my sons to drive.
  • wildstonewildstone Member Posts: 2
    I forgot to mention I found the problem to be temperature sensitive too, hotter the day, louder the whine.
  • snoop3snoop3 Member Posts: 2
    So regarding my last post the transmission has gone again while on holidays. Sad and so stressful. so now i have a car without a transmission, a car loan on that care and Ford Motors Canada is telling me that they no longer make the CVT transmission so I cant get one and that they are sorry that such a thing has happened to me but they cannot help me. We have tried every where (incl ebay) for a used one with no luck and that might be because of all the other people having the same transmission problems. I have asked W5 (Canada's largest private broadcaster) to investigative this issue for me. No company should have the ability to build something that cannot be fixed. Ford should have had to recall when they knew there was a problem instead of discontinuing the car and the parts. I feel robbed!
    So sorry for you! All of us on here can relate. There are no new transmissions out there, they only rebuild them somehow and then charge a butt load of money for it. Getting your broadcaster involved may really be a good thing! Hope you have some more positive results.
  • tinamdovetinamdove Member Posts: 1
    We are also having issues with our 2005 Freestyle "CVT" transmission. Made sevaral calls and visits to Ford, They say theres nothing they can do for us, we have tried getting the trans fixed, but most parts are hard to find and very expensive, Why would Ford make this kind of trans, then not have the parts to fix it? And why are their parts so expensive ? Im VERY disappointed with Ford, and will never purchase another car from them ! Now what are we suppose to do with the Freestyle that sits in our garage, the body and inside are in perfect shape, hate to have to junk the car. With the economy the way it is, we all cant just go out and buy new cars. i believe that Ford needs to recall the freestyles and fix them!
  • truewvtruewv Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if there is a lawsuit in place for WV?? My 2006 has been doing the same thing for months now. No shop has told me what the problem is, but looks like you all know.
    A class action lawsuit was filed in May against Ford regarding the throttle body issues on the ... accidents. You can go to www.girardgibbs.com for more information. The more the attorney hears from us the better the chance they will add the transmissions issues to the suit.

We NEED to get as many people as we can to get this issue addressed. Email them and tell them what happened to you.

BTW, I need a top motor mount now. Unbelievable what I have gone through with this car. :mad:
  • carr142carr142 Member Posts: 1
    Have you tried here: http://www.car-part.com/, for a used transmission.

Hope this helps, JaCarr
  • ajc718ajc718 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue. It was reported to the gov for their recall investigation. With mine the lurching is only when AC is on. I have never had a tranny problem. we did change throttle plate once this seemed to stop for a while i thought but latter found it was the AC triggering this malfunction.
  • monieboloniemoniebolonie Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2007 Freestlye in April 2009. I absloutely loved. This past spring (March 2011) it began randomly surging. Even with my foot on the brake it would lunge forward. There were many times it put me in the middle of an intersection or just millimeters away from the hitting the car infront of me. It was very unsafe for me to keep putting my two small children in. My husband (who knows his way around cars) took off the throttle body and cleaned it. That seemed to help until now. It started doing it again but the transmission has gone out. This car is a NIGHTMARE!!!!! I still owe 7100 on the piece of crap that needs a new (but not really new since they don't make them anymore) transmission. And its only worth about 6000 with a working transmission. I feel like Ford needs to step up and right their wrong! They knew :mad: the issues and failed to fix them.....well I guess they fixed it (in their book) by discontinuing the transmission but that leaves us owners SCREWED!!!!! IM BEYOND FRUSTRATED. I did contact the attorney (even though I'm in Georgia) back in April. I urge anyone having these issues to contact him as well. Something needs to be done.
  • truewvtruewv Member Posts: 3
    My husband replaced the top motor mount in my car a few months ago. He made it using another model cars something or other. Let me check with him. It was only an $8 fix.
    :blush: YAY !!!

NHTSA Looking into Ford Freestyle Unintended Acceleration

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating 170,000 2005 through 2007 model year Ford Freestyle’s after 18 crashes caused by “lunging.” No injuries have been attributed to the abnormal vehicle behavior, however.

The Ford Freestyle abnormally lunges forward even when drivers didn’t have their feet on the gas pedal says the reports. Hitting the brakes will stop the lunging, however.

The unexpected lunging has been tied to having the steering wheel turned hard left or right, as well as an apparent increased occurrence if operating the vehicle’s air conditioning system. The lunging reportedly only occurs at low speeds in both reverse and forward gears.

The investigation will not include the refreshed Ford Taurus X that replaced the low selling Freestyle in 2008. The lunging only occurs with the Freestyle’s 3.0-liter V6, and not with the Taurus’ 3.5-liter V6.
    I discovered something about my Freestyle yesterday. When I got into the driver's side of the car, I noticed this thing hanging down on wires near where my knees would be. I looked at it, and it looked like some plastic thing with wires that needed to fit back onto the piece it was attached to. So, I recapped the dangling thing, and drove out of the parking lot. I hadn't gotten very far, when my car did not want to go. I thought Oh, dear, it's the transmission again. I pulled into another parking lot, and then uncapped whatever the dangling object was near my knees. The car drove just fine after that. Can anyone tell me what this object is? Thanks.
    Cindy, 2007 owner with replaced transmission and throttle body
  • buddy70buddy70 Member Posts: 1
    I'm seeing that there are some upset Freestyle owners out there, and I feel sorry for your predicaments, however, you won't get that from me. I own a 2005 with 130,000 miles and have not had ANY problem with it. I suppose changing the oil every 3,000 miles helps. I also understand that ANY car is just another machine with moving parts, and thus will require maintenance and care to keep it running in top performance. Excellent job FORD! Another satisfied customer!
    @ buddy70,

We're not saying every Freestyle that came off the line has tranny problems and I'm glad yours has served you well.

However, more than "some" Freestyle owners, who have also "maintained" their vehicles, have experienced surges, replaced transmissions @ over &5K, & have almost been in or have been in an accident due to the transmission. Well, we see the Freestyle just a little differently than you.
    Besides, if this was actually an "Excellent" design by Ford, they would not have discontinued them. We're not talking about just changing up the design.... No, Ford went three years and OUT on these.
    Go figure :sick:
    Sinder
  • pbaypbay Member Posts: 1
    FORD FREESTYLE THROTTLE BODY, TRANSMISSIONS ARE CAUSED BY MAIN COMPUTER
    MALFUNCTION. I was extremely lucky that someone finally figured out WHY!!!! In my opinion is the reason why ford hasn't been slapped with a major, major!! recall. No one outside of the Ford dealerships can figure out were the problem actually begins. Most Shops don’t want anything to do with it. I found a very talented transmission shop that did! I had all the exact symptoms as everyone else. The acceleration when putting the car in reverse. No power, wrench light coming on, etc; I am field sales rep that puts a lot of miles on. After ford installed a new throttle body the first time within 7 months same symptoms accrued. Already out of warranty because of miles I was in no rush to get it repaired again for the same thing. Because of an extremely busy schedule I didn't have a lot of time to bring back to ford. So I continued to drive it the way it was. Every time it would act up, I would turn off the motor wait a minute restart and it would reset itself. drove my 2006 ford freestyle till transmission was totally gone. I brought it to ford they did a diagnostic and told me I needed a new Transmission, and it would cost around $6,000. So I started calling Transmission shops, No one would touch it, Except for one place. The owner Bill said he had a couple of the best transmission mechanics in the country and would be able to rebuild it for $3,500. So I brought it to him . $ 6,000 later and After 4 trips back his crackerjack transmission guys were having a difficult time figuring out why they couldn't get to run right. Bill was pissed off because he said my car was making them look bad was determined to find out why. much help from ford with parts or Info finally him and his guys figured out it was the main computer that tells the throttle body what to do and throttle body tells transmission what to do. He can explain it much better than I can. In any case If no one knows that main computer is the problem to begin with it would be very hard to get a recall on the throttle body or transmission. That’s my opinion. What do you think? I would like for Ford to pay me back the $7,500 + car rentals. Can anyone help me? Sincerely Pbay
  • handchandc Member Posts: 1
    I just had the throttle body on my '05 Freestyle replaced (90k miles). I do understand that regular mechanical maintainence is required of all vehicles. That being said... I've spend hours now on the web researching this issue with Freestyles. After 5 days of waiting for the part, and $1000 later, I drove my car from the dealership where it was serviced and within 20 miles, the engine light came on. - found after calling several dealerships that I was given an answer almost recited verbatim about the throttle body issues. This makes me think that Ford, obviously fully aware of these existing issues, has given their dealerships and technicians a monologue about what to say to aggravated customers. I don't so much take issue with the cost of repairs, or even the fact that they need to happen. What I do take issue with is the fact that Ford representatives are so willing to "misrepresent" the truth in what is a major expense, and most importantly a major safety issue.
  • dominicano51dominicano51 Member Posts: 11
    I am a mechanic and let me tell you, the best thing anyone that owns a freestyle from 05 to 07 is to get rid off that piece of junk. Ford knows the junk and mess they made but they are too big to shake so they don't care is cheaper to settle a suit than issuing a recall. The company that made the Transmission is closed and the throttle body is another junk. Good luck, mine is gone and that was the best day in 2010.
  • maryliz27maryliz27 Member Posts: 1
    I am having issues with automatic transaxle. I purchased this vehicle used and up till today have not had any issues with the CVT. I have 131790 miles and I have not added nor am I sure how to add the fluid. I typically do my own maintenance on my vehicles but in this case, I'm not sure what I am dealing with. The owners manuel says refer to the Scheduled Maintenance Guide but all that gives me is a log not how or what I'm looking for. The owners manuel also gives very little info other than have someone qualified to do it. Even my husband, who's worked for Toyota for 22 years and is very intelligent about cars, is saying the same thing. Is this really true or can someone direct me to do this on my own? Thanks.
  • dominicano51dominicano51 Member Posts: 11
    Sell now before. Is too late. 500 dollars for that transmission oil change..... And if get any contamination while is being change it will ruin the transmission.

Now that is running good is when you can get more for it.
    Agreed...........Sell it now and get out if you can :lemon:
  • focusowner2focusowner2 Member Posts: 9
    It is only $200 if you change the transmission fluid yourself rather than $500 the dealership will charge, that is, if you can find a reputable dealer that doesn't charge $200 for a typical transmission flush. The $200 includes tools, fluid, and parts.

You can find many references on the web. Yes, you do have to take the front left tire off, jack up the transmission, drain, remove the mount, remove the filter cover from behind the mount, remove old parts, add new rubber bands and filter and plastic tube, reinstall filter, reinstall mount, add fluid, etc...

The problem with a CVT is that it doesn't really buy you greater MPG. It will get over 30 MPG highway but only 14 mpg city where the infinite gearing is exercised, even keeping revs under 2000 rpm. It actually seems better when getting it up to speed quicker because it excels in slowing down very slowly which in city traffic normally means newer brakes sooner.
  • freestyle6freestyle6 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an 06 Freestyle and have had it less than 2 weeks. I replaced the Map sensor last week and today it left my wife and kids stranded in a parking lot from what I am sure is transmission problems. Have you had any luck with that attorney? I will take the car to a service dept tomorrow and make sure. I am just reading about a lot of people having the same problem and am hoping there is a chance for justice. Thanks
  • freestyle6freestyle6 Member Posts: 3
    Can you get me Bills number? I am trying to figure out what is wrong with mine. I am pretty sure it's the same thing you went through. I just bought the car used less than 2 weeks ago and am having these problems. Thanks
  • meyersdmeyersd Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    The lunging is not a transmission problem, but more likely dirty throttle body plate. I actually had mine replaced, because ti was an electrical problem The Government's investigation of the problem came up withthe same findings, and their books are closed. There were no recalls. Volvo had a similar problem on their XC90 SUV's. Like all used cars, an extended warranty is crucial.

The problem with most people buying these cars used is they assume the dealer or whomever they bought it from has properly performed the services on the car without even asking. In most cases, a service person will drive the car, and if it drives good, they wash it and put a " for sale" sign on it. There are also those dealers that actually go through the process of doing a full diagnostic on the vehicle, and that's where problems are discovered and fixed. Dealers do " certify" used cars, at an additional cost, but in the long run, that cost may save you thousands of dollars. If any mechanic tells you the Freestyle is junk, I wouldn't go anywhere near that guy's business. That only means he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Freestyle owners are at a disadvantage, because the tramission was only manuafactured for 3 model years. The transmission however also appeared in the Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego, which are both sedans. Any Ford dealer should be able to service the transmission or at least tell you who can service it. The CVT transmissions used in the Freestyle/Five Hunfdred/Montego were discontinued because of cost, and fact it would not be able to handle the increased horsepower from upcoming V6's.

The transmissions were a joint venture between ZF Transmission and Ford. The 2005-2007 Freestyle engine was a 3.0 liter V6, rated at 203HP/ 207ft lbs of torque. For the 2008 & 2009 model years Ford increased the V6 to 3.5 liters/ 249 ft lbs of torque. Ford also had it's Ecoboost motor coming, and the CVT would not be a good match for it. Ford had already decided after 2007 to go back to a conventional 6 speed tranny, as they were cheaper to produce than the CVT The 2008-2009 Taurus X got the 6 speed tranny and the 3.5 liter motor. The Flex replaced the Freestyle, however it is the same D3 platform. The new Explorer also rides on a stretched version of the D3. Take a look at the interiors of the Flex and Explorer, and you will see some similarities to the Freestyle. So in reality, the Freestyle never actually went away. It was continually upgraded, from Taurus X to Flex and Explorer.