Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Stereo, iPod, CD, Bluetooth, Sat

Comments

• 2yy4u2yy4u Member Posts: 7
    Hi Folks:

Just bought a brand new 2008 CRV EXL with Navigation.
    I like the car, but feel a bit frustrated to not have the Bluetooth capability or IPOD integration...
    How are you guys doing this?
    I read above a mention to "ADVANCE" model but never heard of it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

:shades:
  • rikrikardorikrikardo Member Posts: 23
    ADVANCE is the name of the top-line CR-V model in Europe (see http://articles-honda.blogspot.com/2008/08/articles-honda-cr-v.html for a list of features on each of the 5 European CR-V variants). I-Pod adapters are sold on E-Bay Motors (see http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-2008-Honda-Pilot-CRV-iPod-Adapter-w-HD-Radio- -Opt_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38655QQihZ022QQitemZ350043526229 ).
  • 2yy4u2yy4u Member Posts: 7
    Ok, that explain the IPOD scenario, what about the Bluetooth?
  • osasaposasap Member Posts: 16
    Wife has Sirius. Car comes with XM. Since they merged can she use her Sirius on XM? If not what does she need? Buying the CRV EX-L. Thanks
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Wife has Sirius. Car comes with XM. Since they merged can she use her Sirius on XM? If not what does she need? Buying the CRV EX-L. Thanks

Probably won't happen until new dual capable receivers hit the market. Although both are sattelite radios, they are not 100% compatible. The signal and encoding is different.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I recently replaced the battery on my CRV 02, now I cant find the stupid code to enable to radio is there in hope out there?
    How can I get tho codes?
    juan.
    Fort lauderdale.
    Does anyone have any ideas how old the DVD is on the NAV system? I just boight a 2008 CR-V and I can't find my home address even though I moved to this new neighborhood over two years ago. What's the point of a nav system if it does not even have your home address? Additionally can these be updated to get local trafiic?
    You need the radio's serial number, and a Honda dealer will give you the code, once you prove ownership.

On some radios if you press 1 and 6 while powering up, or something like that, it will read out the serial number.

If not, then take out the radio. The serial number is on the back of the radio.

It is a good idea to enter your radio code in your Honda Ownerslink profile, along with the key code.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Honda Radio Codes Guide may help.
  • srizvi1srizvi1 Member Posts: 263
    I remember a couple years ago, I changed my battery on my '04 Accord Sedan and needed my radio code (I lost my radio code that came w/ my car). I called up the dealer and they looked through their computer and said they didn't have a record of my code. They said it would cost a hundredish bucks to take out my radio and look behind there at what the code was.

But I found a thread w/ advice and got the code I needed by calling Honda corporate. Here's the story:
    http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1370390&uid=999509572&postid=25320040#25- 320040
  • rikrikardorikrikardo Member Posts: 23
    Don't blame Honda for this. Check out whether your street is in the Google Maps database; it is probably not there - your subdivision is too new. If it is, then you have a chance of getting in the next update. I have the same issue - the private streets in my 3-yr-old subdivision are in none of the national databases used to create the nav system's DVD, only my local county street database knows where I live. This lack of location has both good and bad points.

Until your street is located, put in the address of the home/business located just outside the entrance to your subdivision as your home address. I usually find I can make it home once I get to the entrance.
    Actually, we are on google maps, yahoo maps etc. etc. So there is no reason Honda should be so far behind the 8 ball
  • gkoefergkoefer Member Posts: 1
    I see some posts that state that I should remove the bezel first in order to remove the OEM CD/radio on a 2008 CRV LX, but exactly how do I remove the bezel? I do not want to crack the plastic, so thought I had better check to be sure. Thanks for your help!
    Gregg
  • push123push123 Member Posts: 1
    The CD Player on my 2005 CR-V stopped working a few days ago. The radio still works. It's as if there is no power going to the CD. As far as I know, nothing unusual happened that day. Weather wasn't bad either (although a few days before that it was in the high 90's)

I mentioned this to a AAA auto center (I was there for fixing the window glass- which was another unexpected thing that the glass on driver side window just slid and fell inside the door frame- cost me $750 to fix that). The guy said he'll charge $90 just for checking the CD player.

I'll appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Raj
    Try pulling the fuse and see if that will "reboot" it. (Find the right fuse, pull it, start the car, turn it off, replace the fuse, test).

Then there's the "blue spark" technique described in the How to Remove a Stuck CD Guide, but that one seems pretty risky.
  • ellen826ellen826 Member Posts: 2
    Believe it or now, a month ago, mine stopped working also. It ended up that it was the mechanism that feeds the CD's. It cost me $350 to get it repaired, but the audio shop said that it would be $1000 tp replace it with the equivalent system.
    Crazy, isn't it? I've never owned a car that had a problem with a CD player. Fortunately, I've got over 45,000 miles on my CRV and that's the only thing that has ever gone wrong. I still love my car. :)
  • ykckbyykckby Member Posts: 30
    I've searched the forum and find no answers on how to add bluetooth to the EXL nav system (I have a 2008). If anyone knows...please share.

However, assuming it can't be done for whatever reason (I'm not tossing this and buying an Acura) are there other nav systems with bluetooth that can be installed (ie replace my current system)? (Not being frivolous....I cannot use an ear piece).

My husband's Lexus has a completely integrated gps and bluetooth system....that is what I would like. Is there such a thing to replace what I have currently in my car.

Thanks
    Kim
    I just installed Pioneer AVIC F700BT, it comes loaded with GPS/AM/FM/XM/Sirius/HD/CD/MP3/SD/iPOD and integrates nicely with the factory steering wheel controls.

Amazon has them for under $400. You will need a PAC SW-SI controller to integrate the steering wheel buttons, and XM/Sirius/HD radio receivers and iPOD cable.

Everything is on the touch screen, and it runs on Windows CE, which makes it hackable.
  • unresolvedunresolved Member Posts: 7
    I am new to this. Looking at a CR-V for my wife but the Bluetooth seems like a pretty imortant option. Is it true that Honda does not offer this? If I get the model with the Nav system is ther some kind of aftermarket option to install the Bluetooth?
  • picklemenpicklemen Member Posts: 3
    go to tlcbluetooth.com they have a unit for you that works in the non navigation model. it also has a ipod hookup!
  • john314john314 Member Posts: 1
    Upon putting a cassette into the tape deck of my 2005 CRV the message reads 'loading' for 10 or 15 seconds and ejects the tape. Anyone have any ideas on fixing this.
    Try pulling the fuse to the player deck and see if that resets anything. Sometimes that seems to work like rebooting a computer. Make sure you have the security code to your radio though before pulling fuses, or you'll lose it too. :blush:
  • bshiffrinbshiffrin Member Posts: 2
    I just took delivery on a 209 CR-V EX-L with no nav and am trying to understand the CD player manual. What I want to do is to put in 6 CDs worth of mp3 files (in folders or not) and have the player randomly play songs by selecting from all 6 CDs.

From reading the manual, it seems to say that random is for playing songs from within 1 CD, not all 6. Is this true?

Barry
  • topcat8topcat8 Member Posts: 7
    Try looking on the outside of the glove box left side after opening the door there should be a sticker with the code no. there TOP CAT :confuse:
  • craver1craver1 Member Posts: 1
    yes they can but if you return to the dealer they can give or supply you with a newer version i live in houston and they are always adding new streets and developing so i have to update as often as possible :shades:
  • jimbresjimbres Member Posts: 2,025
    My CR-V, a 2006, is from the prior generation. Its CD player works just as you described: random play selects from only 1 CD.
  • dwalsh2112dwalsh2112 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

We just leased a 2010 CR-V, LX 2WD model. We can tune in local stations, but there is a lot of static in the reception. Anyone else having this problem?
  • kmdpghkmdpgh Member Posts: 1
    I am having a prob with bluetooth reception on my 2010 CRV. NOT in the CRV but the recipient of the call can barely hear me. It gets worse as my speed increases. I have tried 3 phones and all have the same issue. It is garbled. Any ideas???
  • nl1nl1 Member Posts: 1
    The AutoIntelligence BlueConnect product described at http://www.autointeligence.com appears to fit the sunglasses holder of a 2005 Honda CR-V. Does anyone in this forum have this installed in their 2005 Honda CR-V?
  • consumerwiseconsumerwise Member Posts: 26
    2009 CRV still no random button for CD's - I agree it's not as "fun" but as someone pointed out and I just realized that we didn't use the handy thing for our book on CD when we traveled (slapping forehead now because I would have had to empty all CD's to put in the book one instead of just replacing the one when it was through) - oh well! :blush:
  • d33topsd33tops Member Posts: 4
    I bought a CRV 2010 in late February. I can hear everyone great on my bluetooth. EVERYONE has problems hearing me. I hear 'you sound like your head is out the window' on your phone. I talked with sales about this 2x and they told me to have service check it out. they said it works perfect. I'm back on the road again with the same problems. If I am not driving, it works great. If I am driving, between any of my words is a loud wind sound that is so distracting that it is difficult for the call recipent to listen to the call. Honda says they tested this on and off driving and it is fine. They also said they paired it to another phone with no problems as well. Maybe I needed to put the phone farther away from the stereo (possible interference) - they used it on the seat next to them. I tried that as well, no difference.

Has anyone else had this problem? My old car had 100k miles and I need a good reliable car with AWD and bluetooth. I am so disappointed and don't know what I can do. It seems to me that the CRV car sounds are too loud for good bluetooth projection and/or they put the bluetooth in the wrong place to at least prevent this.

Let me know. Thanks. .
  • bigdog999bigdog999 Member Posts: 6
    I also have a 2010 CRV EX-L and I've had no problem with the bluetooth. Most people don;t even know that I'm using it.
  • allee1allee1 Member Posts: 5
    Did you find a solution? I bought my CRV about a month ago and my problems with the bluetooth are exactly as you described. I have not taken it back to the dealer yet. I had planned to do that next week. I hope you have found an easy solution and will share with me.
    No I haven't. I can tell people have a hard time hearing me because of their pause and trying to figure out what I have said. My family still complains and asks me to get off of it! It has NOTHING to do with where you phone is in the car. I think the only real way to test is call them while you are on the phone (they said it was fine! sounded normal!) and let someone else drive your car just so you can hear what it sounds like yourself. Please let me know what they say and what they do to change your situation. I hardly ever use it because of this. Still a big bummer.
    Thanks for the response. I took it to the dealership and they say there is no listed problem with other owners. The suggestion was to link another phone. I'll try that with my daughter's phone. I don't mind buying another phone, but I want to know it will work.
    let me know after you try it. it didn't make a difference for me.
    I am having the same problem as d33tops. What is the brand and the make of the phone you are linking to?
  • gr8ngingr8ngin Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 CRV with bad voice recognition to the receiving person on the bluetooth. Same as everyone else's problem. Honda is denying a problem. My car was in 4 times for the problem. They replaced the microphone 2x. No changein reception. They said it must be our phone. We have it linked to 3 different types of phones including a Blackberry. People can not hear us no matter what phone we use. Honda said shut off the A/C when speaking, it did not help.The problem is too much wind noise( too many decibels) in the passenger cabin. The mic pickups the wind noise making it sound like you are in a wind tunnel. Honda told us this is normal noise for their Bluetooth and they will not do anything. Basically, they told us the unit is POS and live with it.Unfortunately, the NAV system is $1000.00. Also the NAV part is not as good as a Garmin system. Honda does not stand behind their product. I will never buy another Honda.
  • kj2011kj2011 Member Posts: 5
    I am having the same problem. I purchased an 2010 Honda CRV back in July of 2010. I can hear everyone just fine when using the bluetooth...but everyone I call tells me that they either can't hear, my voice is fading in/out or there is a wind noise. I have tried everything. Putting the phone in different places in the car, turning off the radio, heat, a/c and closing all the windows.to no avail. And...how stupid is that to have to shut everything off. My salesman told me the mic is in the roof...I have even tried tilting my head upwards (also stupid and not exactly safe) and that doesn't work either. I am frustrating. I basically stopped using the bluetooth. I don't know if its my phone...I plan on buying a new phone in about 3 months when I am eligible for an upgrade. Has anyone else tried it with an iphone, which is what I plan on purchsing?? On a sidenote..my daughter just bought a 2011 ford escape and her bluetooth works beautifully. I rectenly wrote an email to my salesman about it but he has yet to respond. I'm going to schedule a service call next.
    Please let me know how it works with your service dept. I already mentioned my experience (they tested it as normal). I have phone that should work with the Bluetooth - Motorola W755. If you hear anything about an iphone or anything else working, please update us all!
    I will definitely keep everyone posted. My phone verizon lg envtouch is also considered compatibility but obviously doesn't work for me. It sure is a wonderful feature and I would love to be able to use it.
    I had my whole GPS and Bluetooth replaced under warranty and it is still the same. I can hear the caller, but they can not hear/understand what I am saying. The only reason that they replace the unit is because it started doing all kind of things. The backup mirror would continue to run after I put it in forward. The radio would lose the programing and the GPS would quit running in the middle of a trip. GPS is better, but it didn't help the bluetooth. I wish I had never purchased the CRV and I definitely am very frustrated that a paid an extra thousand for the GPS and Bluetooth.
  • thandamilkthandamilk Member Posts: 18
    Disappointed to hear about the Bluetooth problems in the CR-V. I'm in the market for a 2011 CRV and one of the key criteria for me is good bluetooth hands free performance. Are the issues spoken of above limited to a few instances, or is this a generally documented problem with the CRV? Would appreciate it if anyone out there has a perfectly/acceptably working Bluetooth in their CRV would confirm this please.
    I am not certain, but I believe the problems are intermittent. I love the navigation system...my only complaint is that when you touch the pad there is a bit of a delay but the navigation system thus far has been working fine. I am really disappointed with the bluetooth and have a service appt for next weekend, and will update everyone after that. I am curious to know myself if anyone has positive experiences with the bluetooth and if so, what phones they have.
  • thandamilkthandamilk Member Posts: 18
    Thanks. Do report back after service.

I'm planning on test driving one tomorrow and will make sure to place a couple of calls while on the highway test drive to friends/family who can give me a review of how I sound using the car system. Not sure if that one test can really replicate real life situations, but at least something I'll definitely test. The concern obviously is that even if it is OK in the test vehicle, from the problems reported above the car I actually get might still be afflicted with this issue. Its got me thinking!
    Be sure to talk on the road while on the road. The problem does not occur with my phone when driving slowly or stopped, but as soon as my speed goes up the caller cannot hear me. I have bought a Blueant portable system and it works great, but the person I am talking to still hears some car noise. The CRV has more noise inside the cabin than any other car that I have driven.
  • wolffdog1wolffdog1 Member Posts: 1
    I am not only having problems with the bluetooth and road noise but the voice command does not recognize my command when I am trying to pair my phone. I say "pair phone" and it turns on the a/c or the radio. I am in my garage with no outside noises eithe so it should not be doing this. My son thinks it is pretty funning but I am soooooo frustrated with this. Will the dealership be able to fix the problem? How do I pair my blackberry otherwise? This is a replacement blackberry so I have to reset the pairing on them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    I have been emailing honda support at "HondaSupport@HandsFreeLink.com". They have sent me several emails on this subject and on "how tos". You can also call them at 888-528-7876, Mon-Fri from 7:00am-8:00pm CT. Once I imported my phone book I was also able to assign shortcuts for auto dialing. Making calls through the imported phone list seems to get me the clarity I am looking for, but that doesn't alleviate the problem of receiving calls. What honda support is telling me is that it may be a problem with my phone compatibiity, even though my phone is listed as compatible on their list. I'm hoping when I take it for service on 2/5 that they will be able to help me further.
  • missing_pghmissing_pgh Member Posts: 7
    Same problem with my 2009 Odyssey EX-L R&N. We've tried 4 different phones so far. My wife keeps pointing out we bought the nav feature just to get the Bluetooth (for safety and convenience) and it's terrible. Our service deptartment in Leesburg/Dulles, VA acts like they've never heard of this issue - it's either rare or they are not being forthcoming. They balanced and rotated the tires to try to fix it - no affect. I was hopeful that pushing for replacement of the system would address it, but reading here, maybe not. Very, very disappointing. I routinely speak with people who use Toyota, Nissan, Audi, and Mercedes BT speakerphones, and I never have trouble understanding them. But the Honda is essentially *worthless* as a speakerphone at highway speeds. Granted, you don't buy a car for its speakerphone, but having paid a lot of money for that option, I expected much better from Honda.
  • liamb113liamb113 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a problem. I don't own an ex-l, I own a ex. On the radio, I noticed the sign of a blu-tooth. You know when you look to the side of a calculator and see all the zeros and little signs, well I did the same with the radio screen, and saw a blu-tooth sign. I have a Motorola Droid-X. Can someone please explain to me if I need to buy something for my CR-V or I just have to do something with the radio and the phone to sync it up all together. Any help or advice is appreciated.