Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Stereo, iPod, CD, Bluetooth, Sat

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited December 2013 in Honda
Got audio questions? Ask 'em here.

Steve, Host

Comments

• skye_skye_ Member Posts: 14
    Just bought a 2006 - had a 96 accord -- sound system in CR-V doesn't compare with the accord. What do I need to bring the sound up to a better quality? Different speakers or the whole unit? I've thought about switching the two (still have the 96 accord). The units themselves measure the same - not sure about the speakers. What to do, what to do. I've tolerated this cheap tinny sound for nearly 3 weeks and it's high time I did something about it!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    Just bought a 2006 - had a 96 accord -- sound system in CR-V doesn't compare with the accord. What do I need to bring the sound up to a better quality? Different speakers or the whole unit? I've thought about switching the two (still have the 96 accord). The units themselves measure the same - not sure about the speakers. What to do, what to do. I've tolerated this cheap tinny sound for nearly 3 weeks and it's high time I did something about it!

Try playing with the bass/treble and fader settings.
    I've done that - many times - and have settings to where it seems to be as good as it's going to get, but it still lacks the quality. I seldom, if ever, listen to radio -- only listen to CDs and they just don't sound as good in my CRV as they did in the Accord. It's the biggest disappointment I have with this car (so far!) :(
    I've done that - many times - and have settings to where it seems to be as good as it's going to get, but it still lacks the quality. I seldom, if ever, listen to radio -- only listen to CDs and they just don't sound as good in my CRV as they did in the Accord. It's the biggest disappointment I have with this car (so far!)

Do you have LX or EX/SE? LX comes with 4 speakers, while EX/SE comes with 6 speakers (adds 2 tweeters in the dashboard to the LX speakers) plus there is an optional OEM Subwoofer that mounts under the driver's seat.

Qute a number of CR-V owners replace the stock speakers with aftermarket to get better sound.

I have stock speakers in the EX (6 speakers) and the optional Subwoofer. IT sounds pretty good for an OEM system.
    I have the EX with 6 speakers, but I didn't know about the optional subwoofer! I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm just not satisfied with the sound at all. I'm hoping the cure lies within some different speakers - and a subwoofer! Do you have any suggestions as to a good place to get them?
    I have the EX with 6 speakers, but I didn't know about the optional subwoofer! I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I'm just not satisfied with the sound at all. I'm hoping the cure lies within some different speakers - and a subwoofer! Do you have any suggestions as to a good place to get them?

I like Crutchfield for car electronics, they give you a free wirng adaptor, so you don't have to clip the wires, and when you are done playing, you can put the stock stuff back in.

www.crutchfield.com

If you want the OEM sub, there are plenty online dealers who sell OEM stuff for much much less, one is actually sponsoring this site, http://www.handa-accesoires.com

I prefer buying from http://www.fairhondapartsforyou.com
  • teddyjacksonteddyjackson Member Posts: 10
    I know that the 06 EX CRV is pre wired for XM Satelite Radio. Does anyone know if it is XM specific or can the wiring be use for Sirius as well?
    I know that the 06 EX CRV is pre wired for XM Satelite Radio. Does anyone know if it is XM specific or can the wiring be use for Sirius as well?

It is not XM specific, but Honda specific. It would only work with a Honda receiver, which is probably Panasonic or Aplpine. The head unit it self is Panasonic.
  • teddyjacksonteddyjackson Member Posts: 10
    I'm also wondering how to improve the sound of the stereo in the EX CRV. I find it lacking some power. I had an 03 Accord and that stereo was very good but the CRV's does not sound as good. Should I be looking at subs, speakers, or amp's to improve this?
  • bullfrog34bullfrog34 Member Posts: 20
    So just to clarify - If I buy a 2006 SE, it already has the optional tweeter kit? I don't have to buy that as an accessory?

Just wondering, because when you configure a CR-V on Honda's website, you can still select the tweeter kit even though it sounds to me like it's already installed on all EX/SE models.
  • leesterleester Member Posts: 3
    I had the exact same question -- as I've ordered an 06 CRV SE and am waiting for it to arrive. I emailed Handa-accessories.com and they said that on all EX and SE models, the tweeters are installed at the factory, hence the 6 speaker system instead of the 4.
    -Leester
  • supercalifragsupercalifrag Member Posts: 9
    Is it just me or does the 2006 (SE) CR-V's in-dash CD changer not allow you to play randomly between CD's but only between the tracks on the one CD that is playing? I've read through my owner's manual a few times. What's the sense of having a 6-disc CD changer without that option to play randomly between CD's? :mad:
    What's the sense of having a 6-disc CD changer without that option to play randomly between CD's?

So you can load you CD's at once and not have to physically change the CD's until you are bored with the 6 you put in. Also works great for books on CD, most of them are 6 disc, and you don't have keep changing them.
  • leesterleester Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone put an aftermarket GPS in their Honda in place of the Factory Radio? Also, the GPS in the new Civic almost looks like it would fit in the CRV. Wish I could order a system and "plug & play" it in the CRV. The 07 CRV will likely have a GPS option.
    Acura TL and TSX systems would be plug and play as well as the new Civic system.
  • sceglascegla Member Posts: 20
    I need more cowbell errr, Bass.

I would like just a 'little' more bass in my SE's sound system. I definately don't want something like those folks that can be heard two miles away. Does any one have input on the OEM (underseat) subwoofer or even any of the after market subs?
    I would like just a 'little' more bass in my SE's sound system. I definately don't want something like those folks that can be heard two miles away. Does any one have input on the OEM (underseat) subwoofer or even any of the after market subs?

I have the OEM sub, and it does just that, enhances the bass without blowing the neighbors' windows. I don't even think it can be heard outside the vehicle.

The installation is a piece of cake if you follow OEM instructions.
  • daedae Member Posts: 143
    Stock audio in CR-V is beyond terrible. Helped my daughter to upgrade it.

Here is the minumum you will need to do:

1) Replace front speakers. Best to get a pair of 6.5" components. Throw away factory tweeters, just disconnect them. Put tweeters into upper portion of the door. I installed Polk Audio DB6500. Needs an inch of a spacer for main woofer. Do not ever listen to what Crutchfield says will fit or not. 6.5" fits in front just fine. $110 on Ebay.

Basic two-way (without external crossover and tweeter) will do the job as well. Plenty of deals on Ebay and on the web.

Amazing difference. One can actually hear music. Much better investment then a factory subwoofer. Factory speakers are unbelievable crap.

2) Pretty much any decent head unit will be better. I went for Kenwood 501 double din. ~$200 on Ebay new. Front USB input is nice. Again, Crutchfield lists this as not fitting. Idiots.

3) Some soundproofing is very noticable in CR-V - it is noisy. Paid $100 to a guy in a shop nearbuy to have front doors lined with dynamat extreme (tm). Quite noticable improvement in road noise and speaker performance.

4) I will probably put something in the rear door as well - not components though

OEM subwoofer (and tweeters for LX) are a waste of money. Upgrades I have listed will go much farther. Makes it as good or better then some of my expensive cars.
  • jbrezniakjbrezniak Member Posts: 2
    Do you have more details on install of the compoenents? For example about how you put the tweeters in the upper portion of the door.

Also, what year is your CRV?
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Ok I have read a few of the posts on XM ready installed on the 06 CRV what is the costs to bring it up and ready. Do you have to have Honda do it. I would rather not change the system if possible. Thanks... M
  • daedae Member Posts: 143
    Do you have more details on install of the compoenents? For example about how you put the tweeters in the upper portion of the door.

Also, what year is your CRV?

2" drill bit :) - into the flat spot directly above the main speaker grill. removed the trim before drilling and put some tape over the spot - but I guess any installer can help with that. Some people are not comfortable with drilling their cars. Crossover inside the door, glued with two sided tape, seems strong enough. Wiring secured with few pieces of Dynamat. Dynamat on inside/ouside surface of the door, but not a complete coverage - did not remove water barrier completly. 36ft2 bulk pack from Ebay (~$110 shipped) was enough to do all doors and some floor under the picnic table and that plastic compartment. - I was lazy to do it myself though. I do not drive this car, but she said it is much quiter now.

Also just replaced rear speaker with a smaller coaxial one (also Polk) - it plays muted, not to pull the sound back, anyway, so it need not be large, but stock ones had been just adding mud, not filling in sound.

2006 model.
  • jbrezniakjbrezniak Member Posts: 2
    OK, thanks for the info. You are braver than I to drill. Am seriously considering though.
  • electrorockelectrorock Member Posts: 1
    I want to get a connecter that will go into my aux input on the stock CRV EX 06 unit, i looked at the Ipod kit which after labour came 2 $510. Why you would get this installed instead of an after market system i have no idea. However is there a Cable you can run from the Aux that will let you connect mp3 players etc??? anyone had any success with this??? :confuse:
    I just want a bit more volume and bass. I've already replaced the rear door speakers with 6.5 alpines - helps, but I'm not there yet!!

Here's what I'm thinking I'd like to do and if anyone has any thoughts or ideas about this, I'd be real glad to hear them ...

1) I'd like to keep the OEM HU if possible (if I can amplify it).

2) I also think I'd like to move the 6.5 alpines to the front doors and run the rear speaker wires to the back somewhere(cargo area?) and put in some 6x9's (like my accord had)- I'd get a car audio pro to do this one. It just seems to me that speakers in the doors do not provide enough separation - it's a fine line between Front and Rear adjustment.

Would new tweeters in the door as suggested in previous post make a large difference?

I'm wondering if my HU could handle all that though. Speaking of HUs, are JVCs a good choice??

Any thoughts on this (or ideas for a better plan) are greatly appreciated! thanks! :shades:
    I want to get a connecter that will go into my aux input on the stock CRV EX 06 unit, i looked at the Ipod kit which after labour came 2 $510. Why you would get this installed instead of an after market system i have no idea. However is there a Cable you can run from the Aux that will let you connect mp3 players etc??? anyone had any success with this???

It is only $510 if you have the dealer install it for you. The iPOD kit itself is $160, an easy DIY.

The aftermarket cables don't let you use your steering wheel controls to control the IPOD, while the Honda kit does.
  • gruenspechtgruenspecht Member Posts: 1
    I am going crazy trying to figure out how to add an IPOD interface to my 2004 CR-V EX. The OEM Radio (which I would like to keep) which appears to be manfacutred by Panasonic, has a 6-CD in-dash changer and appears to have a 20-pin wiring harness. All of the relevant aftermarket adapter kits, seem to assume a 14-pin plug. I am stumped. Does anyone have ideas ona what to do. ALl I want is power to and audio without FM modulation from IPOD -- I don't need to control IPOD from radio. Thanks. Howard
  • gjbwjgjbwj Member Posts: 27
    Just bought CR-v EX 4WD, really can not stand its audio quality, want to install the Honda OEM subwoofer. Has anyone done it, how about its quality, how much it will improve the audio quality. If not too much, will not bother to do it. Thanks in advance.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    It is usually cheaper, in the long run, to order those things with the car. Why not tell your dealer about your dislike, and see if they will cut you a deal on installing the upgraded audio system that comes with the EX-L :confuse:
  • gjbwjgjbwj Member Posts: 27
    Thank you first. I already bought the car, after driving a while, found its audio quality was not impressed. Mine is 06 version, I believe SE might use the same audio system. If I let dealer to upgrade my audio, I guess it will cost more than DIY. Honda OEM subwoofer will only cost less than $300, if i did it myself.
    Well, like I said, check. Customer loyalty is important to good dealers, and they might cut you a break. Check the Honda site for what audio systems come with which model, or did.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    iTrip. Unless you have the hearing of a bat (that's the best I could come up with) it's the simplest, easiest solution IMHO.
  • bobbo55bobbo55 Member Posts: 25
    Can an XM radio be put in the EX CRV at the dealership? I know it comes standard on the EX-L. But,I just want the EX, not the EX-L.
    For the price difference, and the higher cost of adding the in-dash XM, you are really better off, with the EX-L. The leather will fetch you a higher price down the road, selling it or trading it in. ;)

Yes, I know the dealer, or any pro-audio shop can add a unit, or after-market unit, to answer your question.
  • cindysuedeecindysuedee Member Posts: 1
    I've narrowed my new car search to CR-V and Jeep Compass. Blue tooth is something I really want on my next vehicle and as you know the CR-V doesn't have it, Compass does. Any thoughts on adding a blue tooth adaptor kit to a CR-V?
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 12
    I have a '05 CRV EX. All of a sudden,when I turn the CD player on, the screen says "LOAD" and you can hear a noise inside like the changer is moving. Then the "ERROR" message appears. Any ideas on how to repair this? Thx.
  • edmundohedmundoh Member Posts: 35
    I'm considering 2007 EX-L w/o Nav... but I want the subwoofer that apparently only comes with the nav package. Will Honda dealers do an add-on? Any other way to order it?

ed
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    You can get the OEM Bass System Kit from dealerships. Here's a link to College Hills Honda's offering. It's the second item on the page. Bernardi Parts and others are places to look as well. Make sure you take into account the shipping charges, when comparing costs.
  • hicrvguyhicrvguy Member Posts: 11
    Aloha,
    First of all I bought a very well conditioned used 2005 Honda CRV EX 4x4 automatic and very happy so far. I am reading everything I can on this year and happened upon this thread.

Although I am not young anymore, 39 and quickly approaching 40, I am interested in upgrading my car stereo in the vehicle. I used to compete in car stereo contests and when I had my 1991 Honda Accord LX I had to upgrade the alternater which was hard because of the small casing of the alternator. I forget how big I went but not very much over stock.

I am interested in using the "storage" area under the picnic table for two 10 inch subs or one twelve, with dynamat or other sound dampening material in a specially made box but also make a special box for a set of 8 inch mid bass speakers with some Boston Acoustics Pro. 6 inch separates that would raise the "floor" 10 inches.

I would replace the front door speakers with A/D/S separate component speakers with the tweeter going to the stock location and the mid bass in the door. I would not run any speakers in the rear door or if I had to move the speakers from the rear cargo box to the back doors.

I don't know what amp to use but want two very efficient amps to run separates and mid bass (six channel 50 x 6 or 75 x 6) and one for the sub (100 x 2 or 200 mono). Of course I would want a capacitor and voltage regulator. I also want to use the stock deck or if absolutely necessary, run a cd deck that accepts a Creative Zen AND the IPOD.

Any of you CRV owners know of anyone who experienced problems running something like this? Tweeter change might be hard to do but I was also thinking voltage problems with the draw from the amp since the CRV looks like it runs a small case alternater.

Aloha,
  • dgm1974dgm1974 Member Posts: 4
    hello evrybody! good day to all! can anyone help me figure it out how to install a 10.4" roof mounting lcd monitor? how to unclip the upholstery, how to drill a hole, where & how to do the wirings, without hitting or breaking the side airbags.. thank uou..

dgm1974 :shades:
  • sportsgal3413sportsgal3413 Member Posts: 1
    I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my 2007 EX CRV from Japan.
    I am planning on having the music link installed so I can play and charge my iPod. I was wondering if anyone else has had this system put in and how it works exactly. Will the song title be displayed on the radio screen? Thanks!
  • robaarobaa Member Posts: 2
    How do you get the PC-card to operate. Purchase a PC card 6 in one adapter from Bestbuy & using a SD 512 card w/mp3 music on it and the stereo reads error - media problem.
  • nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    Has anyone installed a bluetooth on the CRV? I almost went in for the RAV4 because of the bluetooth feature. I am going to take delivery of a CRV EX-L in a week's time and was wondering if any one has installed a bluetooth. Does Radio Shack or other place install bluetooth on the CRV?
    thanks.
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    I was just about to start a new subject. I just got the crv w/nav and wanted to know how to download my itunes to a card so I can play it thru the stereo. It appears simple, but I'm sure it's not. Has anyone out there done it and how ?
    I was just about to start a new subject. I just got the crv w/nav and wanted to know how to download my itunes to a card so I can play it thru the stereo. It appears simple, but I'm sure it's not. Has anyone out there done it and how ?

If that feature is supported by the stock system, wouldn't the Owner's Manual cover it?

Does it read Apple/Sony proprietary Atrac format, Microsoft WMA, or Generic MP3? (Refer to Owner's MANUAL)

What kind of flash media does it read? (refer to Owner's Manual)

What format do you have your music in? (check your computer)

Once you get all your ducks in a row, use a flash reader to load the music to flash media, pop flash media into the appropriate slot in the radio, and you should be all set to go.
  • stevecarstevecar Member Posts: 148
    Thanks for the information. Some of this is new to me so I'll follow directions. It's a thing about not reading directions. Seriously, thanks for the info.
  • namragnamrag Member Posts: 7
    Before I go out and buy a new stereo with auxillary input for an MP3 player, does anyone know if the stock stereo w/ CD in a 2000 EX has auxillary input on the back of the stereo unit that just isn't accessable from the factory?
    I would hate to be in the process of installing a new stereo and see auxillary jacks on the back of the old one as I take it out.
  • bar0519bar0519 Member Posts: 3
    It's much simpler than all that. If your music is in mp3 or wma format just burn it to a cd in itunes and play the cd. The 2007 EX-L NAV reads wma and mp3 files. :)
  • pro5mohpro5moh Member Posts: 29
    This is what i have in mind --

Toyota has a Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink for Prius.
    Can i buy one and get it installed on my CR-V EX-L With NAVI at a local intaller?

Anything that iam missing or should be concerned about??
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    Today finally took possession of '07 CR-V 4WD EX-L with navigation. Love it. Gave up the '05 EX.

My question concerns using a flash memory card (I'd prefer CompactFlash because I have some of them.)
    I want to know exactly what I need as far as an adapter is concerned to be able to use it in the vehicle. I'm looking for specific name/numeric description of item and possibly brand because I'm non-techie.

Also, I want to know how big a memory the card can have and still have it work. I ask that because I'm not sure if there is a limit.
    The owner's manual says this: "The card limit of the player is 255 folders and 999 tracks. If the card has a complex structure, it takes some time for the system to begin playing it."

I'm not sure what all that means. I'm not sure how much memory 999 tracks (regular rock 'n roll stuff, mp3 files) would take up on a flash card.
    I do remember a comedy album long ago about some stoners on a quiz show and the question is how many joints in an ounce. The stoner answers "Uh, um, uh, two!...(snickering) I roll big joints."
    Host: "You're right. Our judges roll big joints, too."
  • fairsailingfairsailing Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an EX-L w/o Nav (or subwoofer) and I too was disappointed in the low end, especially having just left a subwoofer equipped vehicle. I purchased a Kenwood KSC-SW1 Enclosed Subwoofer and had it professionally installed for about $250 total (if you shop carefully).

It is a truly outstanding upgrade, and as far as I am concerned, effectively doubles the quality of the overall system. It does not however fit under the seat. These pictures show where the installer and I decided to place the unit.

(I also installed a Garmin Nuvi 350, as you'll see.)