Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Tracker Real World MPG

tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
edited April 2014 in Chevrolet

Comments

• arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    last week in my 1999 2-door chevy tracker with 4-speed auto and 2.0L engine i got 26.80mpg. mostly city. well actually county driving. this week i averaged 25.7mpg Im using 215 tires and i changed all my fluids to amsoil synthetic fluids. front and rear axles,transfer case,transmission. but in the engine on this oil change i went with mobil1 5w30 Extended performance. i did this because i couldnt get access to amsoil when i needed to change it. this year has been the best MPG i have gotten in the 5 years that i have owned this tracker. in the winter i average 21-22mpg

chris
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    Just returned from a 400 mile trip that took me over the Cascade Mountains here in Oregon. First tank 27.2 MPG going to my destination, second tank returning 30.1 MPG. 2001 2.0 4 cyl, auto transmission. Just me in the vehicle, air conditioning running the entire time, never over 65 MPH, 215/70 15's 40PSI in the tires.
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    Mileage averages 21 city/highway. Sticker had 19 city 22 highway for V6 with 4 speed auto. 22000 miles best tank 24 worst tank 19. Still have not taken on a trip to get 100% Highway miles for 1 tank of gas to see how well it could do.
    I have a question for anyone with a 4-door 2.5litre V-6 tracker with automatic. what kind of Real World Mpg are you getting? I cant find any info on this..

thanks!
    Just returned from a 600 mile trip. 26.92 MPG there, 28.5 MPG back. 4 people in the Tracker, air conditioner running occasionally, 40 PSI in the tires, never any faster than 65 MPH.
    omg!! you have a V-6 4-door tracker and you got 26.92 and 28.5?!?! My 2.0l 2-door tracker only got a max of 25.7mpg.. thats amazing... see the reason i am asking is i found a tracker like i am asking about and i researched the EPA rating for that tracker and they said 18-20mpg. If i can get that kind of MPG from that V-6 im looking at i would be a very happy camper!!!
    Sorry, not the V6. 2.0 4cylinder with the automatic.
  • cobcob Member Posts: 210
    See post #4 for a 2.5 v6 4 door auto.
    thank you.. i should learn to open my eyes b4 i type.. once again thanks... 8)
  • rvgondarvgonda Member Posts: 12
    My New England mpg experience with my 2003 2dr 4x4 tracker 2.0L automatic ZR2 with less than 9000 miles and Wrangler all terrain tire pressure (the standard jeep tire)at 26 psi follows:

1) Drove solo 260 miles in cruise control at 50 mph on rolling terrain interstate - result 32.3 mpg.

2) Every day use drivng around town and country solo and occasionally with wife in mixed rolling /flat/ hilly terrain including interstates - Wrangler tire pressure 26 psi: result 27.2 mpg

I always try to keep my speed below 55 mph but don't always succeed, and use cruise control where practicable. I don't gun it when the light changes and I "try" to roll to a stop rather than braking - which often means largely ingoring (within the bounds of safety) what other traffic is doing around me.

In other words, I try to drive like a little old lady!
  • erscoloerscolo Member Posts: 11
    My 2004 is getting 23.5 MPG through January and into February here in Colorado. It's the 4WD version of the Tracker by the way.

Roger.
  • jhumbertoapjhumbertoap Member Posts: 1
    Is 23.5mpg with the 4wd engaged, or in 2wd?
    That's about what I get with a 2003 in 2WD
    what engines do Both of you have?the 04 and 03 models
  • vtfarmboyvtfarmboy Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2000 tracker 1.6L two door standard. I just took my daughter to georgia back to college with it and we got 36 mpg with it on the way down. Unfortunatly i had some subframe rust issues where the entire steering came apart from the frame and was not able to drive it back yet.
  • wojowwojow Member Posts: 12
    My 2000 Tracker 2 door, 2.0 motor, 2 wheel drive, 5 speed manual, street/highway mix, is getting regularly 29 mpg. I do drive slow though. Just keeping up with the traffic...usually 55-65mph
    As it turned out my 2.0l Tracker has 1.6l 16 valves motor in it. Sticker under the hood, says that the motor is 2.0l. However when I started taking it apart to replace timing chain, found timing belt instead. What is going on??
    I think there is a few other things that sep the 1.6 from the 2.0. Did the 1.6 litre have sparkplug wires instead of coil packs? And i believe the valve covers were different also. I believe the 1.6 engine might have been a SOHC engine and the 2.0 was a DOHC. what year is your tracker anyways?
    well, I did VIN search on Carfax, and sure enough according to the VIN this Tracker has 1.6L4 MPI 16V motor. I don't know what that sticker is doing there. Anyway, if I know what I have, then most likely I wouldn't be thinking about replacing timing belt. The noise I hear around 2200RPM could be a valve that needs to be adjusted (?). Well, at least I will have new timing belt - it's time too - 106K on the motor.
    .... motor has coil packs......
    Anyway, I will replace crankshaft front bearing - has very tiny leak there, new timing belt, alternator belt and power steering belt - they get really noisy sometimes - I will check the front valves and call it good.
    Now I am thinking about making a custom spoiler for hardtop. I think a spoiler( maybe with a break light) will make profile of the Tracker look much better.
    here is what send me on a wild goose chase:
    couldn't post picture ............go to my page and check picture album..............
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Allow me:

This might be a wild guess but i was wondering is there any chance that the hood was from a 2.0? any chance it was wrecked or had just hood damage? I say that cause when i used to have a 1999 2door 2.0 tracker i went under it to do my first oil change and found a yr2000 front axle. it was marked that from a salvage yard. It wasnt wrecked but i heard 99 had some issues and the dealership replaced the front axle. I used it for 50,000+ miles and never had any problems with my 4x4, and if i didnt look i would have never known about the replacement front axle. Its probably more believeable that the factory messed up. I was just wondering if there was a chance someone replaced and just painted the hood or found a hood that matched the color.? does the hood line up right?
    Hood lines up fine with, I think that's the best idea how I end up with the 2.0l sticker. Carfax shows 14 records for this car. For 7 years old vehicle, this seems to be quite few. Don't want to spend $30- to find out though.
    I think I am happy that the motor turned out to be 1.6l.....I think......... I prefer good gas mileage over few more ponies.
    I am thinking of making a spoiler for my hardtop...............hmmmmmm.
    Yes, it has to be a hood from another Tracker, that's the only logical explanation.
    Thank you guys!
    I did a car fax when i had my 1999 tracker 2door 2.0. I found it it was titled as a business car for a flower shop! lol That might explain my front axle being replaced.? too many people driving it and they might havedriven it in 4x4 on dry pavement.? My 99 was titled more than i liked when i got it and it only had 41k miles on it at that time..
  • rpa740rpa740 Member Posts: 4
    My guess is either your Tracker has been mislabled from the factory or it has been wrecked and had the hood changed out.
    It has to be one or the other. Although I don't see any damage under the hood anywhere that would indicate an accident. can't belive that our friend Canadians would made such a mistake like sticking there wrong sticker either...........but who knows. In the meantime, my 2.0l Tracker become 1.6l one.....that would explain good milage. Good for me.
  • olblue1olblue1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm getting about 25mpg in the summer an depending on the winter weather here in Oshawa, Canada, also how much I use the 4wd it's about 18-21 mpg. George
  • steveh1155steveh1155 Member Posts: 6
    Bought a 1999 Tracker w/2.0L, 4X4, 4D with 113000 miles a few months ago & finally got to drive it on a 400 mi. trip last weekend. Previous owner had the dealer/factory window sticker in the glovebox & it says 23 city mpg - 25 highway mpg, but when I filled up again after I got home I checked milage and had got a whopping 30 mpg average for the trip! (very pleased) - Just normal driving under 65 mph on hilly terrain. :)
  • rengelkenrengelken Member Posts: 10
    My lifetime with my 2004 Tracker is 24 mpg. The car has 66,000 miles on it and I've owned it since it had 40,273 miles.
  • tracker20tracker20 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 4x4 2 door chevy tracker with a 2.0L motor in it. It has a 4 speed automatic tranmission. It shifts a little hard and it doesn't seem to make a difference if it is in power mode or normal. I only get 19 to 20 mpg. Has anyone had any problems with this or do you have any suggestions.
  • rengelkenrengelken Member Posts: 10
    Mostly 2WD engaged. I only use 4WD in snow.
    when i used to have my 99 2.0 tracker i averaged 24-25 in local driving. One thing i noticed about the 2.0 engine. ( i have the 2.5 now and i dont drive it much) is in the winter time due to the colder temps it would take a nice hit on the MPG. i would go into the 19-20 range all winter long. This of course being because cold air requires more fuel to match the increase in dense air. I was just shocked at how MUCH of a hit it took. Now that im starting to drive my 2.5 2004 tracker more i will have to monitor the MPG with it... during the summer i usually got between 21-23 with the v6.
This discussion has been closed.