Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• BobsGT235BobsGT235 Member Posts: 63
    He probably wants a reliable vehicle. The GM vehicles, especially since they are a brand new design will take a few years to get the bugs ironed out. Just wait and see.
  • akgamblesakgambles Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are trying to decide on what vehicle to purchase. We ran across the future design of the JX model and I have to tell you that I am not crazy about the design. Does anyone know if it will have some bells and whistles that the current LX does not have? In addition, will the cost remain the same or will it jump another $10,000 or so.
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    Where did you see the "future design of the JX"? Can you post a link to it?
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    So maybe this is something I've never noticed before in my 2001 LX with 45K miles. At idle, and after warming up after five minutes or so on a 60 degree day, the oil pressure gauge drops to less than 1/4 on the gauge. So, if it were a gas gauge, it would be reading 23% full. If you apply power, then the gauge climbs to above the halfway mark in about three seconds, maybe to about 55-60%. So, on the freeway, it stays at that mark all the time.

It seems to have enough oil in there, checking the dipstick.

Is this a problem? I've heard a Toyota dealer say that this is normal for the Sequoia, which has basically the same engine.

"Joe01-20-2003, 04:58 PM
    I agree with Cory. I have a Sequoia and I've personally talked to 5/6 other owners and have communicated (e-mail) with a dozen or so other Sequoia owners and we all show very low oil pressure on the idiot gauge while driving. We all idle at the 1st mark or a tad below, highway driving we are just above the 1st mark. On cold startup we don't go over the 2nd mark (mid-point). Toyota dealerships are aware of the low gauge readings and all say, “not to worry” and that nothing can be done relative to their gauge readings. :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bens112301-20-2003, 05:45 PM
    Finally after two different Toyota dealerships and taking it in 3 times (twice to the same dealership), they finally fixed the problem. They admitted that the pressure guage should not be bouncing around eractically. Funny, especially after they insisted (from a Certified Master Toyota Mechanic) that this was normal. They replaced the sending unit. Corey was correct and he didnt have my vehicle for 2 days nor fancy computer diagnostic system.

Now at highway speeds/rpms, the pressure is up to the 3rd mark. During idle its at the first mark. and while driving around town, it stays around the 2nd mark. Thanks for the help."
  • shyunshyun Member Posts: 1
    I have 2003 Lexus LX 470.
    One of my friend said there is a conversion kit to enable DVD viewing without engaging a side brake.
    I understand that there is a safety issue here and I know I can buy and instal DVD System for the rear seat only.
    But I still want to have an option to enable DVD without Side Brake on.
    Where is the conversion kit which cost about $80?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    There is a high volume dealer in the NY Metro area who offers really rock bottom prices for Lexus vehicles. I have been eyeing the advert as I plan to upgrade my Landcruiser for a new Landcruiser or LX470. I have noticed that he has recently dropped the LX from his advertisements. He lists all the Lexus models except the LX. I thought it might be because they have stopped receiving new shipments of the LX. Does anyone have any news on this front.
  • barneyhyphenbarneyhyphen Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had any paint FADE problems with their LX470's.

My Hood and upper tailgate have faded very badly and the roof is now starting to do the same.

I have seen at least two other owners with exactly the same car with exactly the same problem. Are there any others of you out there?

Thanks.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    The Lexus of Melbourne, Florida has a couple of demos one with over 5000 miles (Black/Ivory and the other with about 2300 miles (Silver/Stone)
    To me demo means a used vehicle.
    The MSRP is $68,500 the one with 2300 miles.
    The discount price is $6000.00 off MSRP ( never been title).
    Is this a good deal worth pursuing ??
    Does anyone has an opinion ???
    I was planning to counter act their proposal with : FREE Extended Warranty and FREE including installation of the DVD Rear Entertainment.

Thanks ,
    Lou
    I only paid 62,000 for an 06LX brand new last Sept plus they through in chromes and tint
    Hi Sid.
    Thanks for the info , in this area I can choose from two Lexus dealerships , one is Lexus of Melbourne about 21 miles away and the other is Lexus of Orlando about 55 miles in distance, both in central Florida.
    What options did your LX came with ??
    What was the MSRP ??
    Where is the dealership ??
    Sorry for all the questions, but every penny counts.

Lou
    2006 LX options=roof rack, rear spoiler, spare tire lock, cargo mat, cargo net, wheel locks
    MSRP=67800 + delivery=650 total MSRP= 68450 (before last price increase)
    purchased at Park Place Lexus, Plano, TX
  • bennychbennych Member Posts: 8
    I live in Orlando and bought my '06 LX from Lexus of Tampa. I bought the first one they got while it was still on the boat last June. Got a great deal, about $6 k off and did it all by phone. Just speak to the sales manager. Never had it so easy. Even negotiated my trade that way. These are great folks. You can always service locally. 15k miles later, I'm still quite happy. By the way, this is my 5th lexus. Good luck
    Hi Sid and Benny.
    My wife and I spent 3 hours at the dealer , we drove different Lexus the GX , the RX and the LX .
    After haggling for a while we got the Demo for $60,000.00 plus TTL
    MSRP $68,400 Options Roof Rack with Cross Bars ; Rear Spoiler ; Cargo Mat ; Cargo Net and Wheel Locks.
    Total mileage 2297
    This time around we wanted to buy locally.
    We were told that the wife of the owner drove it.
    We took it for a spin rode excellent , impeccable inside and outside.
    I requested to put it in the rack I wanted to see underneath , tires almost new , no leaks skid plates.
    We liked the inside color scheme Stone and the outside Classic Silver.
    We bought it at Lexus of Melbourne .
    One extra option Platinum warranty 7yrs. / 100,000 miles for $1500.00
    Thank you guys
    Lou
  • cwilbscwilbs Member Posts: 14
    That sounds like a good deal... I'm debating in getting a new LX right now. I have a 2000 which I love but it is 6 years old now and with the rumors of Lexus not making this style anymore I am so undecided if I should wait and see what they do or just get a 06 now. I have the option of a sand pearl one or white at our local dealer. You can't beat the way these suvs drive compared to the Rx or Gx
    Sounds like you made a very good deal. If you look at the id sticker inside the driver's door, you can see the month/year your car was built--it was probably received at the dealership within a month--so you can get an idea of how long the dealer may have used it.
    Good morning guys.
    I forgot to mention what happen when it was time to sign lots of papers.
    We spoke with the finance officer better known as The Closer.
    He started mentioning all this extra warranties for our Piece of Mind.
    We only bought the 7years / 100,000 miles warranty for $1500.00 plus Tax (6% ).
    The others are:
    The Maintenance Warranty 5 years for $558.00 plus tax.
    The Wheel and Tire Replacement Hazard Warranty 5 years for $445.00 plus tax.
    The Scratches and Dings Warranty 5 years for $249.00 plus tax.
    The Theft Replacement Warranty 5 years $695.00 plus tax.
    Has anybody heard of this ??
    Is it just this particular dealer trying to Add to his Profit ???
    Or just Good Old Fashion RIP-OFF !!!

Sid The date is 05-05 a whole year driven 2297 miles.

Please , let me know your opinions
    Thanks
    Lou
    I have never purchased the extended warranty on anything. And I have purchased 6 new Lexus from the same Plano dealer, but always traded them in some where in the 20,000 mile range, so I didn't need the extra warranty. But my dealer never tried to sell me any extra warranty!
  • bennychbennych Member Posts: 8
    Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you did well. As to whether the additional warranty is worth it, it would heavily depend on how the vehicle is used and how long you intend to use it. I did one once on a toyota and never used it. Was it worth it? Who knows. I'm happy I never needed it. Toyota also gave me a rebate since I sold the vehicle prior to the expiration of the extended warranty. Parts and repairs on these things are very expensive. You already bought the warranty so now just enjoy! One use could more than pay for the warranty.
    Benny and Sid , thank you for your good comments.
    We owned a 2003 Toyota Land Cruiser and we thought it drove great . WRONG

The LX470 is way superior.
    This kind of SUV 2300 miles is actually nothing, but I really wanted the Extended Warranty,
    just in case.
    Thank again.
    Lou
  • lexuslxlexuslx Member Posts: 18
    Replying to: barneyhyphen (May 11, 2006 3:13 pm)
    I have a 1999 LX 470 w/Smokey Topaz Mica and mine was doing the exact same thing...oxidation-like on hood, mirrors, and top. I took it to Parker Lexus here in Little Rock and after a few days, the regional Lexus Representative agreed that the paint process was faulty and LEXUS GAVE ME A NEW PAINT JOB!!! That was back in June 2003. They painted all smokey topaz mica surfaces. The paint job was valued at $3,XXX.00 It was my 4th Lexus and I have purchased several since. I still have the LX 470 and the paint is holding up fine. They claimed that there was not enough clear coat put on at the factory... I think.

Hope this helps! Let me know how it turns out.

Matt
  • barneyhyphenbarneyhyphen Member Posts: 5
    Matt,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply to my message. No resolve yet from Lexus other than their inital offer of 25% which I have very clearly told them is totally unacceptible.

Now waiting for their second try. I'll update as and when I have any news to report.

If it were a leaking fuel pipe, they'd be on it like white on rice, just in case it became a recall issue. Unfortunately, paint problems don't carry quite the life & limb risk!

Thanks you again.
    A Toyota executive announced that Toyota will discontinue the LX470 with the 07 model year being the last LX "It has been rumored that Toyota is going to launch it's 2007 LX550 in the US with a 5.5 liter V8 engine. This is not true! Toyota was going to introduce the new LX500 in the US, which has the same engine as the Land Cruiser 130. The last minute decision by Toyota Motor Company was that after 2007 they will discontinue the LX range from North America and sell the LX500 in Japan with a new Name: Cygnus 500 and the Land Cruiser will remain as the only Japanese-built full-sized SUV in the US".

A head spokesmen, Akio Lya, at Toyota Motor Company said, "This is a bold decision that Toyota and Lexus are taking but we just couldn't keep both of them together in North America. We have been forced to drop the LX as we are planning to create completely different designs for upcoming Toyota and Lexus models. Following the year 2007 the new Land Cruiser 130 will also be available in Japan in its twin Lexus form. The Japanese market is completely different from the US and Europe and having two virtually-identical models are acceptable. The Toyota brand is known globally and has built up such as strong reputation that the name Land Cruiser is a legend and will live on. The Land Cruiser offered to the North American Market is going to be more luxurious and so much more desirable to those customers. We at Toyota Motor Company have made the right decision and will offer the Lexus LX again 2009 with a different design and totally different looks, which will stand apart from the Land Cruiser range
    This is great information before I decide to invest in another of these behemoth . I guess I'll wait till the TLC 2007 before considering any other vehicle.
    I'm not impress with the 06 LX470 , I should have kept the 2003 TLC.
    Do you know what kind of torque and HP the new vehicle we'll come with ???
    Thanks again.
    Lou
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    "I'm not impress with the 06 LX470 , I should have kept the 2003 TLC."

I'm curious as to why. Aren't they basically the same truck?
    Sorry, nedzel in returning your question .
    Different frames, seats .
    In a longer than normal business back in October I drove the 2003 TLC about 400 miles and 10 days ago the 2006 LX470 got a similar trip.
    Seating goes to Lx470
    Acceleration to the TLC
    Driving pleasure the TLC , did not like the way the LX470 drove, he is on the chopping block.
    The LS430 my wife drives is a different beast a very good one.
    I unhappy with the LX .
    Either tomorrow or Saturday I am going back to the Lexus dealer for a few test drives.
    I am thinking about the 07 RX350 AWD or might settle for a Certified Used Lexus LS430
    Lou
  • gollamgollam Member Posts: 29
    any news if this is going to replace the lx470 or supplement it?....coming to dealers next year?...pics?..

anyone with details?

thanks
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    From todays Automotive News
    JX 470: The big brother to the RX 330 crossover comes off the new GS sedan platform in mid-2007. For styling hints and dimensions, look to the Lexus LF-X (nee HPX) concept car, which had a 116-inch wheelbase, 194-inch overall length and room for three rows of seats. Power would come from a 4.3-liter V-8, although a 3.5-liter V-6 also might be offered. Competitors include the Infiniti FX35 and FX45.

GX 470: No major changes are foreseen.

LX 470: A proposed large, Sequoia-based SUV has been killed from the product plan. That means the LX 470 lives on in its current form when the Toyota Land Cruiser gets redesigned.
    Please scan the entire Automotive News article and post it here. I cannot read the article on line without a subscription.
  • dc661dc661 Member Posts: 71
    Can't scan it but here is the entire text.

I">S 250/350: The rwd sedan was redesigned for the 2006 model year; a coupe is in development, likely for the 2008 model year.

A convertible was expected to debut when the coupe arrived. But Lexus is worried that its planned convertible may not succeed in a world of hard-top convertibles. The model may be sent back to the drawing board, forcing a delay.

Lexus executives downplay reports of a V-8, saying the big engine would kill the car's handling - not to mention that a 300-hp V-6 is plenty for a car this size. Don't rule out a hybrid as a midcycle addition.

ES 350: The redesigned 2007 model debuted in the spring.

GS 300/430: The GS sedans get engine upgrades for the 2007 model year: a 3.5-liter V-6 and a 4.6-liter V-8. The V-6 may arrive this fall, while the V-8 may have to wait for the LS 460 to show up first.

LS 460: Lexus executives claim the redesigned 2007 LS 460 will take the luxury segment by storm. A 4.6-liter V-8 produces 380 hp and is mated to an industry-first eight-speed automatic transmission. Rear- and all-wheel drive will be offered. Mating the V-8 engine to Toyota's hybrid powertrain, the LS 600hL will have the equivalent power of a 6.0-liter V-12 engine while delivering the fuel economy of a small V-8.

Interior features will also be impressive, such as a rear executive seat with ottoman and massage and infrared temperature sensors to monitor cabin temperature more accurately.

SC 430: The retractable-hardtop coupe gets a redesign in summer 2007, sharing the IS/GS platform. The 2008 model also will share the 4.6-liter V-8. Lexus is looking at proportions and stance similar to those of a BMW 6 series.

LF-A: Lexus' two-passenger, high-performance sports car will be unveiled at the same time as the Japan Formula One race moves to Toyota's home, Fuji Speedway, in the fall of 2007. It is likely that a big 500-hp V-8 will be the powerplant, as a V-8 has weight and packaging advantages over the all-but-dead V-10 program. It would arrive in the United States in spring 2008.

Small crossover: Lexus once thought about using the RAV4 as the basis for a luxury vehicle. Executives concluded that the platform was too downmarket. But the success of the BMW X3 and the arrival of the Acura RDX and Volvo XC50 have them rethinking. If a thumbs up is given, it could arrive for the 2009 model year.

RX 350/400h: The V-6 engine gets bumped to 3.5 liters and adds a six-speed automatic transmission for the 2007 model year. A redesign comes in spring 2008. It will be slightly larger but not as large as the Toyota Highlander. The new target width is the same as that of the Acura MDX.

JX 470: The big brother to the RX 330 crossover comes off the new GS sedan platform in mid-2007. For styling hints and dimensions, look to the Lexus LF-X (nee HPX) concept car, which had a 116-inch wheelbase, 194-inch overall length and room for three rows of seats. Power would come from a 4.3-liter V-8, although a 3.5-liter V-6 also might be offered. Competitors include the Infiniti FX35 and FX45.

GX 470: No major changes are foreseen.

LX 470: A proposed large, Sequoia-based SUV has been killed from the product plan. That means the LX 470 lives on in its current form when the Toyota Land Cruiser gets redesigned.
  • cwilbscwilbs Member Posts: 14
    Just wondering if anyone notices the difference when you put the setting in Sport vs Comfort? What does this really do?
    Thanks
    Find a street with expansion joints. Drive down it at each setting, at the same speed--you will feel and probably hear the diff. On a winding road, I like the sport setting, because the car doesn't roll so much. Most of the time I am in the comfort mode.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    Hi Lou, I just now came across your post and have questions as you are one of the few people I know that have owned both a Land Cruiser AND a LX470. Since we last spoke, I've been biding my time and waiting for the 2007's. My thinking was that perhaps I could have some choices & maybe better deals. For instance, if I really liked the 2007's then go for it, but on the otherhand if the differences were minute then get a great deal on a 2006. Then there are the December Days To Remember for Lexus dealers and I could possible even deal on a LX470.

Lou, can you be very descriptive and tell me the likes & dislikes, the pros & cons so to speak of your experiences owning the Cruiser & LX470? Tnanks a million pal.
  • sixshootauncsixshootaunc Member Posts: 1
    After a rousing 7-day, 5-dealer, 3-state internet game of "play each dealer off of each other," I purchased a brand new '06 Crystal White LX470 this morning for $59,900. I couldn't be happier. Flew the 200 miles there to get it and the ride back was a thing of beauty.

As for whether to wait for the 07s, my two cents is that you would be well advised to hit up every dealer in your region for deals on whatever remaining 06's they have left. My dealer today (Hendrick Lexus in Charlotte, NC) told me that they only had two 06's left and that once the '07s roll in that I would've been "hard pressed to get anything more than $2000 off MSRP for what is essentially the exact same car."

If anyone could get a deal even remotely as good as mine on an 06 it would be way better than what you'd have to pay for an 07.
    Hi James. I have been dealing with a very painful dry socket right after a tooth extraction.
    Both vehicles are the same and at the same time very different.
    While watching the Telly , Lexus of Orlando had a great sale on the LX470 ,2006 brand new . $9000.00 OFF MSRP.
    You should pay them a visit.
    My 2006 now has about 5400 miles and got the first 5000 miles check-up for FREE.
    Send me an E-Mail , is not private
    If I were on the market for one of this great SUV , I would choose the LX470 , hands down.
    I am trying to sell my LX because of my volunteering animal rescue , I am waiting for the new 2007 Toyota Tundra Double Cab.
  • jamesbass1jamesbass1 Member Posts: 75
    OK Lou, I've sent you an email. Good luck w/that eye, and hope you're feeling better.
    The best thing that I like about owning a Lexus is the pampering you get while having your
    vehicle service, the FREE loaner , free drinks , free bakery goods.
    Just need to call ahead and reserve the loaner you want.
  • bgreigbgreig Member Posts: 17
    I am wondering if anyone can direct me to information on the redesign for the Land Cruiser. Since Lexus won't have one, I suppose I need to go there.

Thanks,
    BGreig
  • docrock143docrock143 Member Posts: 18
    Hi all..just getting ready to take my 2003 LX470 in for its 90K service...dealer says that should run around $800.
    He recommends at 100K to replace the timing belt, water pump, cam seals, etc. for around $1,100.

Is it reasonable to do that 100K service, or sit tight?
    Best,
    Alan
    Last December I posted about my low pressure warning light coming on. Was told my tires were low due to cold weather and it was reset by my Lexus dealer. June 30, 2006, I have 15,000 mile service on my 06 LX, tire inflation should be checked and set. August 28, 2006 Low Pressure light comes on again--Service dept says all 4 tires were low!!!(it is not cold in Dallas in August) They corrected tire pressure and reset system. I bought a tire gauge, waited until the LX had been parked overnight and checked the pressure--34 to 35 psi in each tire. Panel on door says "29 in front, 32 in rear" so it appears the fix is to put more air than spec in tires to keep the tire pressure light off. Sept 15 I drove to the mountains in New Mexico. Low Pressure light came on before I reached the mountains--Tires were hot, I waited until the next morning (and it was cold outside), but the tire pressure was 32-33 psi--NOT low by mfg specs. The light stayed on for 3 days, then I drove home. On the drive home, the light went off. I checked the tire pressure this morning, all OK. Anyone had a similar problem
    Looks like the Land Cruiser replacement - not a Lexus
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Exciting stuff!!

The autospies shots do seem like a new LX!! The interior shot of the dash is pure lexus -- looks very similar to the new LS460-- that's a heckuva HUGE screen!!!

This is the first definitive sign that the LX will live on. Cool.

My biggest questions will be -- how did they handle the third row (current design is awkward) AND will it have all the techno goodies of the LS (for the $$ they charge it better!)
    Here's a link that shows a couple good interior shots of the new Landcruiser. Assuming the LX will be similar (except with the Nav and lots of wood/leather, etc), this should give an idea of what the new LX interior will look like.

Scroll halfway down to see the interior shots:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/13/spy-shots-toyota-land-cruiser/
    The new LX is not going to look like the Land Cruiser--inside or out. Toyota made that clear several months ago--look at one of my older posts.
    Interesting.

Autospies is reporting the "first" spy pics of the new LX 470 on their site and they show an SUV that looks very similar to the new lancruiser but with a different interior. The LX 470 on autospies really does look like a lexus-type interior -- very similar to the Lexus LS sedan interior.

Take a look at this link and tell me which suv you think this is -- Sequioa? LX470? It can't be the Landcruiser because the interior is way different. The shape and dimension of this truck is very similar to the landcruiser.

Click on the link and scroll down a bit to see the pics.

http://www.autospies.com/news/SPY-SHOTS-AutoSpies-com-breaks-the-first-spy-photo- - s-of-the-next-Lexus-LX470-8688/

What do you think?
    I think that is the inside of the new Land Cruiser. Toyota is making the LC more upmarket (more Lexus-like) I see a Toyota steering wheel.
    Those autospies pics have stirred up many different angles.

Some say it is a "test mule" for the new GX coming out in 2009.

Some say it is the Lancruiser with the navigation system -- and the other pic floating around is the landcruiser without the nav.

Others insist this IS the new LX/JX/VX whatever the new 470 will be called.

Your post (message#1314) has a Toyota executive stating the LX is DEAD.

What's the real deal here?!?!?!?!?!?
    Not a JX--the JX is due mid 2007 as a 2008 crossover off the GS platform.
    I think the LX will return in 08 as a 09 model to compete with mercedes g class.
  • psyranpsyran Member Posts: 30
    I realize this is not a 470 question - but does any body know whether the 1997 LX 450 had a key fob for remote locking? Just bought a 450 as a run around vehicle but it has no remote fob. Thanks
    psyran