Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Fuel Pump/Fuel System

Comments

• poli3poli3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '92 460 in a motorhome and is doing the same thing - pump won't stop running and won't start. Hasn't run much in the last 5 years. Could you tell me exactly what the "IIC Box" is and where it's located? Thanks in advance.
  • mike9408mike9408 Member Posts: 74
    I do not know where the IIC Box is. But if I were you I would check the fuel return control valve as well. It may be returning all the fuel to the tank even though I beleive it is supposed to fail closed which would send all the fuel to the injectors I think. Not very sure about any of this as this is a lot different engine than the 300 6.
    I would like to know what you find so please return to the site and let me know.
    Any help with how to get to the front spark plugs (and next one on passenger side)? '92 Ford 460 on a motorhome with E350 chasis. Thanks in advance.
    Checked with a mechanic and he didn't know what it was either. Traced the problem down to bad plugs -- creating my last post and how to get the last two plugs out!
  • blackdawg18330blackdawg18330 Member Posts: 1
    IM LOOKING TO ADD A REAR TANK TO MY F150 BUT CANY FIND THE FUEL LINE LAY OUT PLZ HELP
    Ofcourse I do not know the year etc but mine is a 1991 F-150 and the fuel line is in the drivers side frame rail. Black plastic lines.
    Mike
  • cottontop1cottontop1 Member Posts: 1
    my 94 f-250 turbo diesel will only draw out 1/2 tank in front and rear tanks gauge will read 1/2 tank and that is correct checked with siphone hose built truck will run out if i dont stop and get diesel and front tank will hold 15.00 and thats full ?
  • 95fordf15095fordf150 Member Posts: 11
    95 Ford F150. I changed fuel pumps, filter, ignition moduler, checked regulator, holds pressure, good vacuum from motor. It still stalls when going down the road when warm and getting worse. Still checking on things, Please Help!
    Please inform: what engine? I had this kind of problem on my 91 F-150, found it to be a combination of collision switch and bad connection at the fuel tank. Mike
  • bmarshall57bmarshall57 Member Posts: 4
    I had a 97, that would stall like that, and it would start right back up, I finally found that it was the Cam shaft sensor
    it's a 5.8 with automatic
    95 f150 with a 5.8 engine. changed fuel regulator, tanks, fuel pumps, found broken vacuum lines on emission fixed that. Ran good for 2 days a couple of hundred of miles. quite last night would not start, til cold next morning. Thinking it is in the ignition? or would faulty fuel injectors do it?
    got codes for pip sensor just changed no codes before . i changed battery . i will let you know what happens
    so far so good thanks for the help.hope my info helps someone too.
  • georgesrungeorgesrun Member Posts: 4
    My 1990 (inline 6) F150,s fuel pump(s) won't shut off, Either tank even with ignition switch off. When I switch tanks the other pump runs. Truck runs OK. Could it be the fuel pump regulator. I first got it to stop when I shut the hood. Then it ran all night and ran batt. down. Sometimes after reconnecting the batt. it isn't running. I hope it is not the ignition switch.
    Hey George,
    Locate the Fuel Pump relay. It should be on the drivers side finder under the hood. Remove the Relay from the clip and unplug it. If the fuel pump stops running while the relay is out, it is the relay. Hopefully this is as far as you will have to go. If it does stop the pump, just replace the old relay with a new one. Please let us know what happens.
    Mike
  • tim155tim155 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 Ford F-150 pickup with dual fuel tanks. Truck has a v-8 engine. The problem is while truck is running, with rear tank selected the front tank over flows really bad. I can remove the fill cap on the front tank and start the truck (switch in rear tank position) and the gas runs out onto the ground. The front tank will not work at all. When I select front tank, the gage goes to empty and the pump does not come on nor will the truck start. When I change the dash switch to rear tank, the gage rear the correct amount and the pump pumps and truck starts and runs down the road pretty good until about 60 mph them it loses power and starts to like miss a little like not enough gas coming in to engine. How can running off my rear tank pump gas into my front tank and over flow it but yet front tank does not work at all? I have read all the forum here and read about a change over valve on frame but I can not find on my truck. The rear tank 3 fuel lines appear to go to top of my front tank and 3 fuel lines (hose) come out of front tanl and 2 go up behind engine and 1 crosses over to passenger side and into right side of engine area. Is there a change over valve in my tank or else where? I am at a loss here. Thank you in advance for advice.
  • fordf150guyfordf150guy Member Posts: 1
    did you figure out the problem
    Yes the problem with my 1990 F150 was the fuel pump sensor. thanks.
  • shaddyyshaddyy Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys i just recently bought my first car.. or truck rather heh.. but when i bought the truck the old owner told me that the truck had been sitting for 15 months straight and had old gas in it, and said it would drive for about 10 miles and i would have to let it sit for 30 minutes to let the old gas clear out, he also gave me a new fuel filter because he said he thought it was the fuel filter with bad gas in it which would cause the truck to stall out and not get any gas. Well to make a long story short, i drove the truck home it kept stalling out about every mile.. had to wait.. while i drove the truck it felt like the engine wasn't getting any gas at all, it would sputter, and i would press the peddle down, and it wouldnt even take off or anything.. the engine turns off and i had to pull off the road and wait a little bit, now when i was on my way home i happened to stop at a shell gas station with a local mechanic there, he put in the new fuel filter for me and it ran fine for about a half a mile and continued to do the samething, now my question is..is this a fuel injector problem? old gas need to get some seafoam? or vacuum line failure.. im not really great with cars im just now getting into it.. i appreciate any replies or any help very gratefully.
    Check the fuel pump. Turn on the key, how long does the pump run? Should be just seconds. then check for a collaped fuel line, i had that on one Ford Pickup I had and it ran similar. Of course they mad be all metal on yours.
  • rgroomrgroom Member Posts: 1
    I have a 89 F150 w/4.9L. It had a fuel pump issue fixed that now it has a real bad miss when warm and under load. Any ideas?
  • tlkarschtlkarsch Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 F150 with a 4.6 L engine and I drive it a couple times a week. I live in Maryland and about a month ago after a normal drive on a semi hot day...I shut the engine off and when I tried to restart it a little later...it wouldn't start. The engine would crank over but it would fire up. After letting it set for about an hour...it started and appeared to run fine. The problem has happen 3 times so far and appear to be linked to outside temperature because if it's cool (in my judgement) it starts with no problems...on days above 80 deg it won't start after driving till warm up. Everything else seems to be OK...engine temperature...driveability. Have had it to the dealership and they have no clue to it's problem. Any thoughts and/or ideas as to the problem would be appreciated.
    sounds like a coil
    I agree with the idea that it sounds like an open in the coil when it gets hot.
    I'd try plugwires if you haven't
  • ken28669ken28669 Member Posts: 2
    hello im new here. beating my head against a wall. Ive got a 1990 f150 4.9l dual tanks. i havent used rear tank in 4 years. replaced front fuel pump about 3 years ago. truck starts and stalls out will not idle. i ran trouble codes im getting a 87. ive changed fuel relay, fuel filter, fuse, inertia switch, i even changed the idle air control valve. any ideas would be appreciated. thankyou
    I don`t know if your has a fuel control modgel, but that just happened to me, all of a sudden would not start, it was the control modgel, the other thing I`d consider would be a cam shaft sensor
  • codysweet1codysweet1 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2010
    i have a 1991 ford f150. inline 6. Resently my truck started spit and sputter after driving it and geting the engine worm. after leting it sit for a night, it started to run agean, but i had little power apone taking off. i have changed my spark plugs, put a quort of oil in, and changed my fuel filter. i have no idea whats wrong. any help would be apresiated.
  • ken28669ken28669 Member Posts: 2
    thanx bmarshall57 i think i located my problem i droped my fuel tank this afternoon to pull the fuel pump and found that the elec. harness plug had partially disinigrated.
  • firecommishfirecommish Member Posts: 1
    1990 F-150. I've got a small gouge in fuel line about 6 inches from rear tank. Easily accesible but recognize this is a double jacketed line. Is there any way to repair at the gouge rather than having to replace entire line?
  • thuddlestonthuddleston Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 F-150 the truck will not run on the front tank at all and i can not hear the fuel pump pressure up. The rear tank is fine and the truck runs great. Help :)
    Check to make sure that you have power leaving your fuel selector switch to the front tank. If you do then check to see that you are getting power to the forward tank PUMP. Now remember, The pump will only run for a few seconds (will not continue running till the engine begins to turn over) so you must be ready when you turn the ignition switch on. If at this point you are getting power to the pump then it is most likely the pump that is at fault. If this is the case, you will have to remove the tank and then remove the pump for replacement. A new pump costs around $80.00 in most parts stores.
  • star3662star3662 Member Posts: 1
    hope someone here can help me . i have a 94 f 150 with straight 6 in it just put new head on it put it in time and the thing will not run. it runs fine on starting fluid. i hear the feul pump pressurize the feul rail so i know it is getting fuel to the rail just not sure if the injectures are firring. on the same topic the fuel gauge stoped workking all at the same time are they related am i just missing something ? any help would be greatly appreciated
  • stan58stan58 Member Posts: 9
    I have not fixed mine YET but all others like mine when one tank quit within a year the other quit. wish I could help but have a spare ride
  • stan58stan58 Member Posts: 9
    I have not fixed mine YET but all others like mine when one tank quit within a year the other quit. wish I could help but have a spare ride
  • nelpasanelpasa Member Posts: 1
    How do you replace the "Y" plastic fitting . How do you soften the line to insert the new fitting?
    Place the tubing into HOT WATER (Boiling) until soft enough to push over fitting. (Aprox. 10 minutes).
  • qwerty138930qwerty138930 Member Posts: 1
    1996 f150 runs fine when u get eng. warm & trie to restart it only hit on about 3 cyl when it start runs fine all day till i tried to restart replaced 02 sen. map sen. plug & wires fuel filter 4.9 eng one gas tank fuel pump 38 pd press.
  • limewoodlimewood Member Posts: 1
    96 F150 4.9L six 147,000 miles. Most times starting the truck in the forward tank takes several attempts engine fires off but mis fires bad until it stops. Then next try it seems to start ok most of the time. With rear tank selected unable to start the truck almost all the time. However I can switch from front to back but there is a long delay between the time you switch and the engine responds. Check engine light has been on for years and local shops keep telling me it continues to display multiple system codes and they cant seem to solve my starting problem also. Once the engine starts it runs great. Last shop told me my rear fuel pump is not pumping at a constant pressure and the engine just might stop when you are sitting at a traffic light. He was correct it does, the engine just shuts off. Next week I might not have any problems. Dont know what to do. I replaced the fuel filter it was very dirty, I am running high test gas and try to keep the gas as fresh as possible. I heard maybe it could be the EGR, heck Ill try anything now. Do I have a fuel pump problem or is the ccheck engine lite thats always on the problem. Im thinking also about taken the truck to Ford, I have spent that much and still have the same problem.
  • bigg73bigg73 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    Check the pick-up coil inside the distributor. had a similar problem.
  • robo8robo8 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced fuel pump.
    Truck runs ruf and the dianost. reads a code of 141 lean fuel. can anyone help
  • midi0001midi0001 Member Posts: 2
    i own a 1995 f350 with 250,00 miles. had a minor leak that was fixed by replacing the fuel pump. Here's my problem. While driving on the interstate, truck running fine, looked in my rear view mirror and noticed smoke. thought i may have a fuel leak somewhere on the engine. But then i noticed that my fuel gauge had dropped dramatically over a distance of 4-5 miles. i limped to a service station with fuel pouring on the ground. i figured i had busted a fuel line somewhere on the engine. What i found was that a sensor had blown out of the bottom of the fuel filter housing. little pieces of plastic and a small screen was found on top of the motor under the filter housing. My question: Can I fix this without having to shell out $450.00 for new fuel filter housing. The housing is not cracked, there is just this small hole where the sensor attached to the housing. Somebody please help
  • midi0001midi0001 Member Posts: 2
  • rainmuttrainmutt Member Posts: 4
    I've read most of the posts regarding a siphoning problem I have for a '95 F-150, 6-cyl. w/ dual tanks but cannot locate the selector valve that's supposed to be on the driver's side frame rail, just behind the cab. Can it be somewhere else that's not in plain view?
    no, its inside the frame rail. Just follow the gas line from the tanks forward.
  • rainmuttrainmutt Member Posts: 4
    I did as you suggested. I located the filter but didn't see the selector valve. I took the liberty of searching Ebay to discover what it is that I'm looking for. I didn't see anything that resembled what they were selling.
    I ordered and received a Chilton's for my truck. It said that my '95 truck "has a modular In-Tank Reservoir (ITR) assembly consisting of the pump, a venturi jet pump, a supply check valve & a shuttle selector valve."
    This last item I suppose is what I was looking for inside the driver's side frame rail. I guess I'm out of luck 'cause lowering my main tank sounds like more work than I'm willing to invest at this time.
    Thanks again for your assistance.
    Disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for about 30 minutes. This will reset the computer. Upon re-starting, the computer will re-evaluate the engine, you must take the truck for a ride holding it at a constant 50-55 mph for about ten miles. After this is done the truck should run just fine and codes should disappear.
    mike9408
  • dave1977dave1977 Member Posts: 2
    have 300 6 4.9 fu8el pumps wont shut off was told it was an IIC box do you know what and where it is