Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Low speed shudder

rmmorris2rmmorris2 Member Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in Dodge
I own a 2006 1500 with 5.7 hemi 3 speed auto that developed a low speed shudder around 38 to 40 mph. stops when od turned off. anyone have this same problem torque converter replace by dealer. They still cannot figure it out. Compiognostic says it is still the torque converter

Comments

• mhaegelinmhaegelin Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 Quad Cab 4x4 Hemi with the same problem, its very noticible but the dealer is telling me it is normal. I cannot believe this but not sure what else to do. Did you have any luck finding a fix?
  • rmmorris2rmmorris2 Member Posts: 2
    after 5 trips to the service department with mine i finally forced them to buy back the truck back, and got a lone star model with 20's and do not yet notice the problem. Dodge factory rep could not determine what was wrong with it either, they tried to tell me the same thing that it was probable an inherint problem but was not sure. They even tried it with a set of 20 inch tires and wheels and said it did not repeat the problem. I Called the 800 number and filed abertration with them. They said it might take up to 6-9 months to determine if it was a design flaw or what. I spoke with the sales deppartment at the dealership about my options and the general manager agreed to purchase mine back to keep me happy 4th vehicle I have purchased from them in 2 years.
  • craigdieselmaccraigdieselmac Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you guys are still experiencing this with your trucks or are you even still looking at this forum. I have a 2006 Ram with the Thunder Road package (Hemi, 20'wheels) and it has a low speed shudder, especially when towing a trailer. It is going back to the dealership tommorrow for the 3rd time. The first time they changed all the tires, the second time they said there was nothing wrong, now they are going to look at it again.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    If this problem occurs at a very specific and narrow RPM range regardless of the gear the transmission is in, ask if they think it could be a punky fuel injector.

If that's not the issue, it's probably drive line.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • ucanfarmucanfarm Member Posts: 33
    I will take a guess at this. Any place in your fuel system you could put a clear hose patch to watch your fuel? If it has bubbles then you are getting a fuel related problem. Good luck, let me know if this works. Thanks.
  • manipulatorsmanipulators Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2007 Ram 1500 Quad cab w/Hemi. It has the 20in wheels.

Between 40-60mph there is a slight vibration around 1700-1800 rpms. If you gas it a little it smooth's out, if you turn off the overdrive it goes away also. It is annoying because when you are attempting to maintain a cruising speed, you are at those rpms, so it is vibrating quite a bit of the time. I know it rides a little rough because of the big tires, but this is something different.

The service department said they were aware of this condition, and said it was normal.

is it really normal?
  • doug340doug340 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same deal with a shudder. So far I have had the rearend rebuilt, I have a new drive shaft, a new torque converter, a new valve body and over three weeks in the repair shop.. So far the vibration has thwarted all of their efforts to eliminate it. I was told that the technical service at chrysler are aware of this and that there is a tsb coming soon, right now it is "code black" whatever the hell that means!
  • alan1912alan1912 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 hemi sport, I am experiencing the same problems that you are having. My dad and i have bought 5 new dodges in the last three years and this has been the first bad issue. The dealer keeps making things up like the tires are not mounted proper,Bad roads and the list keeps going, One would think that if you pay $38,000 for a truck they would try and make you happy. :confuse:
  • kuvasz101kuvasz101 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 Hemi 5.7 Grand Cherokee that experienced shuddering around 40 mph. It calls for 89 octane. I increased the octane and it got worse. I went down to 87 octane and to my surprise the shudder went away. I contacted the dealer and told him about this find. Lower octane gas burns faster where higher octane has a longer burn off time. Higher octane will burn from the center of the piston outward similar to dropping a pebble into the water and watching the ripple affect. Give it a shot and see if it works for you.
  • badrattlesbadrattles Member Posts: 1
    We purchased a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500, Quad Cab new. The dealer agreed to put side steps and bedliner in as part of the deal. We have squeaks and loose-bed type clunks when driving even on fairly good roads. It has gotten worse over time. We keep taking back to dealer and they say the side rails will do this when not the Mopar original. They should have told us this from the beginning or else put Mopar type on the truck. Now they do not even want to discuss it very much. They said they always have trouble when using other than Mopar rails. The noise sounds as if it could be in the rails but also like the bed is loose and making a more clunky sound. Have you had this problem? Thanks for your experience.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    While this sounds simple enough, make sure your tailgate is closed tightly. Wiggle it before you attempt to open it... if there's any play, that could be causing your bed-area clunk (as the contact will travel through the entire bed).

Similarly, wiggle the side steps. If they're loose, you may want to have a good body shop work on them - they can do abetter job refastening them securely.

I've had both loose in the past (on my 96 Ram), and my running boards were indeed Mopar, but the dealer admitted they had trouble installing them.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
This discussion has been closed.