Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota 4Runner Transmission Problems

Comments

• scottcraftonscottcrafton Member Posts: 3
    Jean: the local dealership adjusted the netural safety switch 3 months and no more problems. Prior to this they replaced the transmission and computer and problem was still there.

thanks!
  • bassnvoxbassnvox Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1990 4Runner 3.0 V6 4WD. The car bogs out, makes a metal grinding sound, and loses power at 2000 rpm, it has minimal power until about 2600 rpm, once I pass that it is fine. Also in 4th and 5th gear, the pedal will be floored and I will have no power and be unable to pass 2000 rpm, the only way around this is too down shift and tach up the engine so that I will go into gear higher than 2600 rpm. I have recently replaced the max sensor, fuel filter/pump, all gaskets inside the block, and cat converter. I also have a clean K&N intake system, and I run high mileage synthetic blend valvoline oil. I don't know what else I can repair or replace to fix this and it's becoming very expensive. What can be causing this?

Thanks,
    -Josh
  • 4runner464runner46 Member Posts: 1
    My wife just told me she was having the same problem. Have you figured it out yet?
  • cableguy4cableguy4 Member Posts: 1
    did you ever find out what the problem with your 4runner was. i own a 98 4runner and have the same problem with the clanking in and out of park and the vibration at highspeeds. thanks for your response
  • berzeyberzey Member Posts: 1
    I own a '91 4Runner 4x4 v6 with 195,000 miles on it. About a week ago I started having problems with the auto tranny. When accelerating uphill from a stop, it won't shift from 1st to 2nd without me pulling it down into 2nd. The rpm's climb normally, it just doesn't grab 2nd until I pull it down. It shifts everywhere else normally and does well downhill and on flat surfaces. If anyone has any suggestions just let me know.
    Thanks
  • 914runner4wd914runner4wd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 91 4runner and was having those problems. I tried everything I could think of then noticed a significant amount of play in the accelerator pedal. I checked out where the cable is attached to the pedal and noticed a rubber spacer was completely worn out and fell off in my hand. I replaced that spacer - tightened up the cable and solved all the problems.
  • dongill9640dongill9640 Member Posts: 1
    I have a new 2009 Toyota 4 Runner at 1200 miles has a transmission problem. The transmission slips when turning right at a slow speed. The local Toyota service department says this is a common problem, and that Toyota has not explained the problem. I am to hear from the dealer within a month.
  • weasewease Member Posts: 4
    My 2000 4Runner has a tendency to sometimes not go into second gear every once in awhile. Now every so often it will slip out of drive, it just revs as if nothing is there but you downshift a gear and manually go back up and it seems ok.I can drive it for a week and it will not act up at all and then it starts again. The truck has 100,000 miles on it and is an automatic transmission.
  • mamosrunnermamosrunner Member Posts: 4
    8/29/09 - I just purchased from a dealer an 08 4 Runner 4x4 with 7000 miles. I test drove it approx 15 to 18 miles and noticed something in the drive line. When I came to a stop on one occasion it felt like a slight tap from the car behind me. It only did it once and I chalked it up to not being driven in a while. But after driving it to approx 300 miles on the interstate to spend the night before heading home, the car is doing it much more frequently. It feels like I put it into gear even though it is already in gear. After coming to a stop, I have my foot on the break, I feel this "hit" like I just put it into gear. Has anyone had or heard of a similar experience?
    Desperate for some answers.
  • ajisaajisa Member Posts: 4
    Hi All

My 2001 SR5 4WD (80,000 miles) started showing the following symptoms: High pitched whining noise when in Drive (forward or reverse) (this sound does not occur in Park or Neutral). Also some clunking noise when Reverse is engaged from Park. Also note for about six months, truck would not move right after pressing the gas when Reverse was engaged (about a second delay before vehicle started moving).

Took it to the dealer who services the vehicle and the outcome: Internal transmission problem, recommend replacing with factory rebuilt transmission. Cost $4,000.

Was not really expecting to spend such serious $s so early on a Toyota. So still trying to absorb the news.

Questions/recommendations requested:

- Was my confidence on Toyota quality misplaced ? ;-)
    - Anyone else seen similar symptoms and what was the outcome?
    - the reason quoted to replace the transmission was fixing it would cost about the same and not assure as good results. Should fixing it be pursued?
    - Any suggestions for a reliable independent shop in Metro Nothwest Boston?
    - The truck is due other repairs (brakes - still original, timing belt, AC etc). So I am starting to wonder how much money to sink). Too bad I just missed the cash for clunkers program.....

Thanks in advance for your help !!
  • mpreilly01mpreilly01 Member Posts: 1
    Hey there-
    I am looking at an '06 Sport that is a V8, 4WD with 51k miles. I am looking at Toyota having had a Tahoe for the last 9 years and wanting to avoid costly tranny repairs and do at least a little better on the gas mileage, and still have an SUV that I can use for towing a 19' boat and some light off-roading, as well as drive to work every day.
    I was told by some dealer (in error, typical) that the V8 version has a 2WD/4WD-H/4WD-L option like my Tahoe...this is not the case. The V8s only come in 4WD so you can only switch it from 4WD-H to 4WD-L. That info immediately set of alarm bells in my brain. ("DANGER-Transmission problems!")
    My questions are, from experience:
    1. Is Toyota so much better at building quality stuff that the truck being in 4WD all the time won't be a higher risk for tranny problems?
    2. What kind of gas mileage can I expect with a V8 4WD? B/C I know what I can expect from an American 4WD V8 and it is NOT pretty.
    I'm still thinking 4Runner but thinking that a V6, 2WD/4WD-H/4WD-L would be a better option b/c the off-roading and towing will not happen very often and most of the time I'll be on 5.5 hour road trips or driving to and from work.
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    I have a 2003 V6 (same) and zero tranny problems. Except for when gas was $5 a gallon locally, I wish I had the V8. I haven't read of many tranny issues on either, so I'd recommend the V8.
  • ka3axka3ax Member Posts: 5
    Hello!
    If any one can know what going on with my 4runner ? V6 3.0 4X4 .Don't have power,when go up in the hill feel like I pull trailer,and start going on high RPM,it's get 4000 RPM to go 50 mph.Don't know if it's motor or it's transmission.Thank you!
  • postaldude88postaldude88 Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem in the 06 I purchased last month. It's an 06 with 31,000 miles. I asked the dealer that I purchased it from and was told that Toyota was aware of the problem but hadn't found a fix yet. How hard can it be to find a fix for the problem, hell they're engineers aren't they ?
    I asked to be informed when they found a cure and was told that I would have to check in periodically because they don't send out service bulletins ! ! I asked if it would have a lifetime warrantee since they admit it's a problem of their making and they have been aware of the problem, that went over like a concrete turd....Please let me know if you have heard anything else to resolve this on your end.
  • ka3axka3ax Member Posts: 5
    Some shop say it's motor,some say it;s trans.I'm thinking to sale 4runner and buy me LandCruiser for hunting,for city use I have 2000 Lexus LX470, it's best car I ever have.
  • hruizhruiz Member Posts: 1
    Hi, they finally gave me back my car last friday, nobody said a word about Toyota knowing, or being aware this particular problem, and beside that, I had to pay $ 3,500.00 for their mistake. It is a shame but down here there is nothing else that I can do, they are a big Toyota dealer and get away with almost anything.
    If you find out any additional info. please let me know. Thanks
  • bmuradbmurad Member Posts: 2
    my 1998 4Runner is making the same sound. I was told it was a worn bearing, what ended up happening to your car?
  • bmuradbmurad Member Posts: 2
    I have a '98 4Runner with about 175K on it. There is an odd whislting like sound that is coming out of the front end. It is only evident when I am idling at the light. Someone has told me that it may be a worn bearing. Has anyone come across anything similar? any advice?
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    Although you did not say, I'm assuming you have the V8? If so, this is a common issue, and will be remedied by having the slip-yoke lubed. There is a simple grease fitting if you prefer to do it yourself. Once lubed, the problem will go away for a few thousand miles, but by your next oil change, it will need it done again. Hope this helps!
  • foxyesqfoxyesq Member Posts: 26
    I have an '05 V-8 Limited AWD with 55k miles. While I have not had any transmission "problems" I often notice a bumping feeling when stopping from highway speeds (ie. stopping at the end of an exit ramp). I had this checked out by my dealer at about 20k miles and they told me it was normal. I also get an occasional hard downshifts if I decelerate and then accelerating slightly -- like the transmission is lost or can't decide which gear to go into and then slams into a lower gear. Both seem to occur more often when the AC is running. I don't know it this is just a poor product or signs that my transmission is going to fail. If you read the posts, it seems that a lot of 4Runner owners experience this same issues. These issues are not something I can't live with and don't take detract from my love for this vehicle --- as long as the transmission doesn't fail.

As for MPG's, I get over 19 on the highway (cruising at 80 mph), about 16 local and about 17.5 mixed; all with a bit of a heavy foot.
    Dear neumie2000,
    Thank you for the suggestion. I've had a sick feeling in my stomach since paying that much money and having two dealerships tell me "it's common" and "nothing we can do".

The other issue which is annoying is a vibration between 55 and 70 mph. Can you offer a solution for this one? I've had the wheels balanced already.
    Thanks,
    WOW !!!! What did they charge you $3500 to repair ? I still have 4 years on my warranty, so i'm good for now ! I'll let you know what I find out here in Oklahoma...
    Check out the reply to my message about the tranny problem from neumie2000 dated September 11. He/she says to grease the "slip-yoke". I have not tried it yet so I can't say it works or doesn't.
    Let's us know if you try it and what the results are.
  • neumie2000neumie2000 Member Posts: 133
    No great ideas on the vibration unfortunately. I've heard of more sophisticated balancing called "road force" balancing or something like that. Basically, it is, as I understand it, a more detailed testing of tire balance and will correct issues other balancing tests will not find. Because the vibration is speed sensitive, I agree with your decision to get the wheels balanced. If your vehicle is still under warranty, perhaps you could have the dealership swap tires with another 4runner and road test. If the problem goes away with the new tires/wheels, you've at least identified the problem and can work with the dealership toward a solution.

The "bumping" drove me nuts as well, and I was surprised that the solution was so simple.
  • outlieroutlier Member Posts: 2
    My 98 4Runner V6 automatic with 250,000 miles has started to make, what I consider, a whining sound most notably during acceleration but also when sitting in drive. When I put it in neutral the sound stops. Any ideas?
  • ken_yken_y Member Posts: 1
    Bump. I found my way here because my wife has the same vehicle, same problem. Hope someone can give us a clue.

Ken
    Hello,
    I took someone's advise and asked a dealership to lube the SlipJoint. They removed the existing grease and filled/packed it with a blue synthetic grease that is supposed to be super slick. That was done 10/12 and so far it fixed it. You should know the same dealership told me they couldn't grease it (the slip joint) because there was no grease fitting. Don't ask me what changed from then to yesterday..........maybe an e mail to the Southeast District Manager???.........I praised a couple of guys at the dealership for having a great attitude and genuine interest in solving the problem........no kidding. The shop foreman and the customer service guy that greeted me and wrote up the work order were great. As for the fix, so far so good, but I'm skeptical about how long the fix will last. I'm considering asking for something in writing stating they (Toyota) will be responsible for maintaining the lubrication to fix the condition for as long as I own the vehicle.
    Hello,
    What did you say to the Southeast District Manager? Please let me know if you get anything in writing on maintainng the lube fix....
  • shellmmshellmm Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 4runner recently blew the transmission. Hose running from radiator to tranny for coolant blew out, sending coolant into transmission. Now I hear it's a common problem around 140,000 miles. No used transmissions available, about $4200 to fix w rebuilt transmission, radiator, labor.
    Does this sound right? And anyone else have same problem? I've always been very Toyota loyal, had corolla, celica, and supra, finally 4runner and loved all no big problems. Just don't know if this is worth fixing or should I get new car? Any info appreciated!
  • stevef10stevef10 Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Toyota 4runner V6 125k miles automatic transmission started slipping on cold starts especially in the morning. After starting up, putting in drive and pressing the gas pedal first gear doesn't immediately engage but slips with no real power reaching the wheels. Then after about 5-10 seconds of slippage in jumps into 1st gear and then seems to shift normally. On the latest cold started slipping, I then manually shifted to 1st, 2nd and then drive after which further automatic shifting was normal. I took it to the Toyota dealer today for a trans fluid flush and change, the fluid was brownish but the mechanic said he's seen worse. So far today no change still slips on cold start. The mechanic said it might help or the transmission might not last 5k miles. He said a remanufactured transmission might run $2500 or a new replacement $4000. Based on this what is your prognosis based on seeing this before. Is this the beginning of the end for this transmission, or could a flush & change fix the transmission problem.
  • weasewease Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 4runner and have just replaced my transmission because of rust problems inside the tranny. It was a major problem with cooling lines failing and coolant entering the tranny. Toyota covered the problem under waranty but a lot of dealers did not clean up the tranny properly and now they are failling big time.
  • jlloyd5jlloyd5 Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same problem with my son's 01 prerunner 2WD. I've been working on the problem with a very reputable trans repair shop locally. It seems that the trans is not actually slipping, it's starting off in 4th gear. My son drove the truck for about a month after noticing the problem and it got progressively worse. When I finally took it in to be repaired the torque converter had begun to come apart and had to be preplaced. After the shop put it back together and delivered it to me, it did it again, just intermittenly. I took it back and they replaced all the solinoids (sp). It still did it occasionally. I took it back again and they replaced the computer with a used computer. Still had the same problem. Took it back again and they bypassed the cruise relay. It's still doing it. This problem persists although it only does it every once in a while. I'm taking it back in tomorrow. This problem has us all baffled.My advice is to take your truck in ASAP before you burn up the torque converter. Hope this helps. If you get yours fixed, please let me know.
  • emakemak Member Posts: 1
    hi! i got the same problem with my car,did you find it what is wrong?? thank you
  • outlieroutlier Member Posts: 2
    Nope, there were no responses to my question. I'll let you know if I hear anything.
  • 054runnerga054runnerga Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2006 4Runner purchased 12/15/05 with less than 78k miles. Just found out our rear differential needs replacing. Not wheel bearings (hoped for this) but the whole rear differential. Confirmed by shop mechanic and dealership. They said not common event at this low mileage.

Toyota corporate is not even offering any good faith toward coverage even though only 17k miles over 60k warranty. We have owned 4 other Toyotas but not consistent buyer so we do not "qualify" as valued customer. Also no dealership convenient so had basic repairs done at local quality shop.

Anyone else have this rear differential problem and "customer service" response from National office? Local dealership from where we bought is helping some but still costing about $2k to repair!!! :mad:
  • red_chilired_chili Member Posts: 1
    You did not specify, but let's say the issue is pinion bearings (not unheard of, especially if you let the gear oil get low, say, due to leaky axle seals).

$2k is absurd. It is because dealerships do less repair every year, instead replacing components. You can't blame them, but you do not have to pay them either.

You have several options. You can find and have installed (or install yourself, it is not *that* hard) a used, junkyard differential from a similar truck. This should run less than a quarter of that.

Don't fear used Toyota parts. My 4Runner has clocked over 200K reliable miles with them and I fully expect to make 500K with proper maintenance.

Another option is to find a *quality* 4x4 specialty shop (there are lots of hack shops; ask for referrals on 4x4 web forums in your area) that works on Toyotas and is familiar with yours. Regearing Toyota 4x4s for larger tires, etc. is commonplace and routine. It involves also replacing differential bearings, including the pinion bearings, so replacing pinion bearings is not a mystery, nor all that expensive.

Let's say you have a broken ring gear for some reason. Your options are the same.

So you really are not SOL. An independent Toyota shop has much more flexibility than a dealer, with used parts or actual repair - and here's a hint: dealership mechanics often do side work out of their own shop, and this could easily be the sort of thing he or she could do at a great discount.

Hope that helps,
    -Red Chili
  • brother8brother8 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Shellmm,

I had the same problem with my 2001 4runner .The transmission hose blew out a year ago and now this year the Trans went. Well AAMCO wanted to charge me $4200 but I told them no thank you so I went t to a local trans shop which saved me a few bucks...I'm in New Jersey. The dealer charge is $3500 for a remanufactured transmission not including labor. I’m in the process of having the Trans rebuild now with my fingers crossed. please email me at brother8_2000@yahoo.com
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    please email me at ...

Let's keep the discussion here so everyone will benefit.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • shellmmshellmm Member Posts: 2
    Hey. well I did the rebuild also..wound up being 4200, for trans, radiator, etc. Also they had me come back in after driving it for awhile to flush all the fluids, apparently oil can come back out and cause more problems. Also checked all the hoses again for same reason. Actual charge for rebuild was 2875...labor is the killer. So far running fine, a little problem getting key out of ignition since? They lubed everything again. Probably have to have that checked again too, but seems to be better. Good luck! I'll keep you updated!
  • 02fourrunner02fourrunner Member Posts: 1
    i have a 02 4runner with 169k miles nd now while in motion the whole car is having like a violent shake ....i think it might be the tanny slippin ...
    any Suggestions or others with the same problem??
  • 954runner954runner Member Posts: 1
    Wondering if you got any feed back on this problem? I have a 95 4Runner with the same problem. It only acts up when its cold
  • eriepaeriepa Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem on a 98 4runner. What was the fix ?
  • conoreoconoreo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 toyota 4 runner and when put into gear, mostly in the morning after sitting, the does not want to go. You have to give it gas and then it clunks into gear on goes. This has been going on now for about a couple of month. I just had the transmission fluid replaced about 6 months ago. The car has approx 114,000 miles. It is now in Washington DC. with my daughter. Has any one had this problem?
  • newspaperboynewspaperboy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 toyota 4runner that will at times will not engage unless I put it in 4wdr low. it feels like the transmission is engaging but but will not move, when I take it out of low range it does the same same thing again until it sits there for a while at idle then it will engage and run fine. I have taken it and had the filter and fluid changed. seems to me the problem may be in the transfer case. any input would be helpful.
    The paperboy
  • periclespericles Member Posts: 1
    I have serviced my car religiously at the Toyota place. Now after my 120,000 service check up I find a have a dead car due to a transmission problem due to mixing of the fluids. so my questions are as follows: Should the dealer have picked this up when they serviced my car? Also shouldn't Toyota have told us to replace the radiator after 80 or 100 thousand miles? Does the dealer or Toyota bear the responsibility?
  • mitch903mitch903 Member Posts: 9
    Hi dongill9640: I also have a new 2009 with the same transmission problem. Have you heard anything from your dealership? My service dept. says they have never heard of the problem. I also experience the slipping at other times too, not only when making right turns.
  • tonyemitonyemi Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem, when the temperature dropped to about freezing, the car would not move, after shifting between drive and reverse, it would make a banging sound from the rear and then work fine. The problem turned out to be the parking brake. a$ 20 dollar fix vs a new tranny.....

I never use the parking brake, however I had the car serviced and the mechanic engage it. I guess after not being used for ten years it stuck 'on'.

I still cannot figure out why this only happens when the temperature dropped, the car ran fine in warmer weather. Two mechanics (?) thought it may be the filter in the tranny.
  • tonyemitonyemi Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem, when the temperature dropped to about freezing, the car would not move, after shifting between drive and reverse, it would make a banging sound from the rear and then work fine. The problem turned out to be the parking brake. a$ 20 dollar fix vs a new tranny.....

I never use the parking brake, however I had the car serviced and the mechanic engage it. I guess after not being used for ten years it stuck 'on'.

I still cannot figure out why this only happens when the temperature dropped, the car ran fine in warmer weather. Two mechanics (?) thought it may be the filter in the tranny.
  • surfcampsurfcamp Member Posts: 1
    i am having the same problem with my 95 4runner. just had it serviced, flushed the fluids, changed the filter, and it drove fine for a day. then when i got home it now has problems going into gear. won't drive in L, or 2, sometimes only D. most of the issues are when it is cold or when i am going up a hill. I am thinking they put too much Transmission fluid in it? or maybe it is just shot? my AT oil temp light would come on during long drives up steep inclines. I live in costa rica so that is a common issue. any help out there?
  • beckerluvmubeckerluvmu Member Posts: 6
    Hi. Have you heard anything back form Toyota about the transmission? I'm having the same problem My service dept says that it is normal, but it slips at other times too. Thanks for any help.