Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus LX 470

1232425262729»

Comments

• Options
    flpimpdaddy73flpimpdaddy73 Member Posts: 1
    harder than most trucks it seems and takes a couple hours even if you know what you are doing. I paid a shop $350, Lexus wanted $900. The mechanic showed me how its underneath everything...under the intake manifold etc...he also talked me into doing the water pump too as i remember for just cost of parts.
  • Options
    amauroamauro Member Posts: 2
    I am debating on buying a 2000 LX 470 with 138,000 miles for 14,500
    REALLY debating if this is a good deal or not. Vehicle seems super clean and nice, loaded.
    We have 3 kids and I want something nice, and of course reliable. I am comparing this potential purchase to a 2002 Toyota Sequoia limited, 4x4 loaded (without dvd).
    Do Lexus' really run forever?? What will be my trade-in-value in 5 years, any??
    I love the car... just wondering if this is too many miles for $14,500.
    I have to make a good purchase.
  • Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Yes, they are fantastic trucks...however...you should be able to find either a later model or a 2000 with fewer miles at that price. Take your time and look around.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    golakersgolakers Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2002 LX470 this past August for $25k. It has <45k miles and runs great. I had a 1995 Land Cruiser for 10 years, purchased used in 1999. I put appx. 150k miles and had great reliability. Never left me stranded. I had considered a used LR3, but came to my senses and purchased the LX.
  • Options
    idaholexusidaholexus Member Posts: 1
    :lemon: Just got my LX470 back from the dealership last night after having the ignition cylinder housing/rod problem fixed ($514). Was also told that it needed the following work done: CV boots leaking ($600+), starter needs to be replaced ($815), 90k checkup ($1400), etc. Was hoping to get some input as to what other problems will be lurking out there after I invest the money to get these problems fixed. What other major repairs is everyone experiencing? What is the cost? It has approx 103k miles to date.
  • Options
    vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Get the CV boots fixed. Have an independent garage change out the timing belt (the major cost of the 90k service) and check the water pump if it needs replacement. At the same time get the starter contacts serviced (kit is $45, and you don't need a new starter).

All told you should be under $1000, and have a truck ready for the next 100k miles.

At this mileage you can also consider optionally: transmission service, front bearings repack, driveshaft lubrication, transfer case and differential service. Most likely, it would be better to wait until something happens to go after these things if you are not a believer in preventative maintenance.

These trucks are engineered to last about 500k miles providing they are serviced properly.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    ssmithlx470ssmithlx470 Member Posts: 1
    I have an opportunity to buy an '05 LX470 from a friend. 88K miles - $27,500. I'm familiar with the car an know it's had no mechanical problems and has been serviced regularly per Lexus recommended schedule at Lexus dealershp. The 90K mile service was just completed. Miles are all onroad and most highway.

Thoughts? Advice? I love these trucks but am concerned re: the high mileage. I've read of folks having trouble with the AHC around the 100K mile mark. Any other potential areas of concern for an LX with this mileage? I'd aim to purchase and keep for several years - past the 150K mile mark.
  • Options
    amauroamauro Member Posts: 2
    We have an LX470 with 140,000 miles and it is a great car. We had to replace a few of the sensors(behind the tires). Luckily we know a mechanic and purchased the parts ourselves so we saved a lot of money. I would buy the sensors yourself at an auto parts store and find someone to do it for you. Other than it being a gas guzzler... it is great! The kids love it, we love it and we just keep filling up the tank!! We expect to drive this to at least 200K
  • Options
    tdkeatortdkeator Member Posts: 16
    Hello, just bought a 2003 LX 470 with 81k miles from a Lexus dealership. Dealer told me it had recently had the 90k mile service which they said costs about $1,000. I assumed this included replacing the timing belt and water pump, which is partly why I decided to purchase it. A week later I found out that the timing belt and water pump in fact had not been replaced.

Did the dealer mislead me here, or did I make a false assumption? Is the timing belt/water pump change part and parcel of the 90k service, or are they separate services that just typically are performed at the same time?

Finally, since I only have 81k miles, is it necessary for me to replace the timing belt/water pump right away, or can I wait until I actually hit 90k miles or maybe more?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Although it's usually recommended that the water pump be changed when the timing belt is done at 90,000 miles (since you're already in there anyway), it's not part of the recommended service by Lexus. But the timing belt is, so yeah, the dealer lied if they said they did a 90k service and didn't change the belt.

I've been reading more posts in the various discussions here that people aren't replacing water pumps as often since they are lasting longer. Most of those posts involve cars that have a 60,000 mile timing belt change interval, and some of those owners are waiting until the second timing belt replacement to replace the water pump.

I'm sure if you called the service department, the service writer would recommend you do the water pump at 90k. But service writers typically work on commission and they'll recommend all kinds of stuff that the manufacture doesn't.

If the dealer is charging $1,000 for the 90k service, then they are charging more than twice what Edmunds says it should cost.

I think I'd contact Lexus corporate and tell them that the dealer lied about the 90k service. Maybe they'll do the belt free and you can pay for the water pump then. But hang onto your wallet at this place!

Edmunds Maintenance Guide
  • Options
    jejejeje Member Posts: 1
    So does this mean that the 2005 LX47 will have no problem towing a travel trailer? Help! My husband wants to purchase a 2005 Ford Expedition instead of the LX because he believe it will tow our newly purchased travel trailer better.
  • Options
    tdkeatortdkeator Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Steve. How do I contact Lexus corporate?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's their US contact info:

Lexus

Some people like to track down an executive in the company to write or email, but usually those missives get routed back to customer service, so you may want to just start there.
  • Options
    ksbjksbj Member Posts: 1
    the wood trim sterring wheel
  • Options
    dmensidmensi Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 LX470 and have a problem with getting trailer lights to work. I have plugged up two different trailers to the wiring harness provided and cannot get the lights to function on either trailer. Any answers?
    thanks
  • Options
    therealjabtherealjab Member Posts: 3
    Hey guys and gals!

The reverse lights on my '07 LX470 have recently went out so I decided to embark on a quest to replace them. Although the owners manual suggested that I go to the dealership, I knew the job had to be simple enough to undertake myself. Refer to this back-up lamp diagram for a nice illustration of the assembly.

1. Drop the gate and remove the carpet cover
    2. Remove the metal cover for the tail light
    3. Reach into the opening, that was just uncovered
    4. Find and unscrew a single nut that is holding the backup housing in place
    5. Put the housing out of place and replace the bulb
    6. You're finito! :P
  • Options
    cogcog Member Posts: 1
    On my 2006 LX470 for the third time in a couple of weeks will not restart if tried within 5 to 10 minutes. The temperature on these occaisons was around 102 degrees F. The engine cranks but will not start. If I wait for about 30 minutes, it starts right up.

I'd love some theories on the cause. I don't like the idea of going to the dealership and saying, "fix it."
    Do engines now days "vapor lock", as I remember from years ago when this occurred from time to time?
  • Options
    tim724tim724 Member Posts: 4
    This happened to me last year, about 3 times in two months. Took my 2003 LX470 to the dealer. They were useless, the answers were maybe this and maybe that. Even their master-tech could not figure out what happened.
    I then searched the net for information and read that overfilling your gas tank can cause this or even stalling (which I did always overfill about 1/2 a gallon) I stopped doing that and problem has not return since. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    researcher8researcher8 Member Posts: 9
    The Lexus 90,000 mile check in this south central area is $900-$1000 but my rep told me that is not necessary. Bought the car with 47,700 miles and now have over 182,000 miles and it runs like a new car, ride is superb and has not cost me any money other than tires/batteries/windshield wipers. Speaking of wipers, I love Lexus windshield wipers for they are superb in the way they work and hold up. I have replaced the timing belt at the recommended 90,000 miles but not the water pump which keeps on ticking. Have driven it across the rockies on a 2200 mile (1 way) traveling trip and it was so smooth a ride and great going over the mountains. I do not think that my wife will ever let me sell this one. It will turn on a dime! One time a person's car was in my lane on a rural highway headed right for a head on collision. I turned the steering wheel so fast to the right that it hurt my wrist to do so. Then I had to whip it back straight after I had turned it an extremely fast 45 degree angle. My wife said did you realize that man was still in your lane as you passed him on the shoulder. I said no because I had to fight the car back up the shoulder to get from wrecking in a huge ditch. The car never attempted to turn over although I gave it all that I could to turn from straight ahead to go right as far and as fast as I could. Fourtunately, the shoulder of the highway was as wide as a highway lane which I had never seen one that wide.
  • Options
    researcher8researcher8 Member Posts: 9
    I have read recently that some vehicles will vapor lock on days that are over 100 degrees and some recommend filling the gas tank more often to cool the fuel down that gets hot over the hot pavement and sometimes people pull off and let it cool a while to get it going againl
  • Options
    blutoeblutoe Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 LX that the transmission, ( I am guessing ), made a pop noise on the highway.. then freely revved but no go.. coasted to the side, would not go into Park. When I tried a light grinding noise occurred.
    It is at a dealer, waiting to be seen Monday July 1. Anyone, had this issue? Will I have to buy a new transmission? How much are they?
    thx
    tom
  • Options
    barneyhyphenbarneyhyphen Member Posts: 5
    Tom, We have a 2000 Lx 470 with 227k. at 72k, the transmission IMPLODDED! Wife came home and said the car was behaving strangely (Don't remember any mention of a "POP" though). I took the car lout that nigh and within 5 miles, the car made a ghastly grinding sound and would no longer move.

After some back and forth ("Lexus Regional Director involved), Lerxus paid for the transmission ($2,300?) and we paid for the labor ($ 700?). This was around 2005?

Had we fought a little longer I believe Lexus would have stood the whole bill. Absolutely NO problems since. GTheir argument was that we had not had the car serviced (Fluid changed). The replacement transmission has now been in the car 7-8 years, never changed the fluid and the current fluid is still bright red/maroon.

I BELIEVE WE WERE NOT THE ONLY OWNERS WITH THIS PROBLEM.

Tim