Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rbrittinghamrbrittingham Member Posts: 11
    It all depends what your priorities are and affordability. At the VERY last minute (we waited 3 months for the Versa) we went with Honda Civic EX and haven't looked back since. The quality of the car, SAFETY and Mileage (up to 40 MPG) all exceed the Versa. Parts are available, paint outstanding. This weekend we were in a terrible rain storm with a lot of high winds. The Civic allowed us to relax inside our car and feel that whatever happened, even if we were hit, we would come out of it alive. Again, it is what you can live with but the standards are fabulous and it will hold its value far better than the Versa and we wanted the Versa way bad. We wanted the speakerless phone but we settled for Bluetooth and that is working wonderful. ;)
  • heyoheyo Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the reply. I would love the civic but can't get them down to my price point.

I think I may be able to get the price down on the Versa even more.
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    I paid $16,500 for my Versa with the Convenience package back in July and loved it. I looked at the Honda Civic, but thought the Versa was a better deal. Regarding the bluetooth phone, which NO Honda car offers at this time (acrua does tho) and Intelli-key were the selling points of the car.

Regarding which is better, that is a tough one. Granted the Versa isn't getting the gas mileage that it should, but over all, the Versa is better drving car then the Civic.

I bought the Versa because it has almost the same space as a Civic, but had 21 century conveniences in it. All my cars well hae Bluetooth as well as Intelli-key in the future...

Tony
    I'm thinking about it for sure...the only thing I'll have to do is find one w/ the color I'd prefer. Maybe if I take 1 in stock they'll throw in a satellite radio or something.

Tony, did you get yours w/ ABS??
    npe mine is a non ABS car, also if you get the SL the radio is Satlite ready...
    If I can get an SL w/ Sirius installed for $16,000 should I buy?
    well back in July when I bought mine I thought I got an excellent deal. I paid 16,500 for mine, SL, Convenience package, CVT, and carpet kit, and the following dealer installed items, paint protection, Tinted windows (all of them) and pin striping. Dealers MSRP was $18,200. Now fast forward today, the Sirius is only $350 if its installed at the factory (not at the dealer, but I'm sure you could get the price knocked down if that is a deal breaker and tell the dealer that.) Dealers are dealing on cars, but I do know that Versa are selling very well. Only way to find out is be educated (use edmonds.com) and build your car and find out what the real cost of the cars and options cost..
  • mprajumpraju Member Posts: 3
    Hi there.. just wondering if anybody here purchased a Versa 1.8SL with CVT in the Dallas area. Whats your experience with the dealers in the dallas metro area .

Im starting my hunt for a blue onyx 1.8SL with CVT soon
    Use Edmonds for your final cost and stick to your price.. What I have noticed in large cities, there is usally a group of Nissan Dealers who are owned by the same corpation. Here in PHX, there are 4 Nissan dealers who are all owned by the same automotive group. But the way they do business is completely different. So with that infomation it was easy for me to make my deal, I knew I couldn't go off to Dealer B, because Dealer A are owned by the same group. So I went in with my price and was happy with the deal. I dont want to spend hours haggleing over price, I paid what I thought was fair for the car. Edmonds really helped with that..

Tony
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I went to the Nissan website and checked the inventory of several dealers and noticed none of the cars were equipped with ABS. No ABS even on otherwise very heavily loaded models with fluff options like moonroof, Sirius and all the other optional packages.

Is Nissan not manufacturing ABS equipped Versas for the US market? I have heard ABS is standard on Canadian SLs.
    Maybe they are sending them all to Canada.
  • herve23herve23 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a SL automatic with ABS today in california, in Petaluma. They have at least two more of them. Pleasant buying experience, below MSRP.
  • agalnamedmarieagalnamedmarie Member Posts: 2
    Have read a little bit here and sounds like I am very lucky! I just purchased a new Versa with ABS (yes, it was hard to find and the Yaris was impossible to find with ABS -- and the Fit was impossible to find except in the Sport version which was more expensive than I wanted!). I love that it's roomy, easy to drive, and has side airbags, etc, that come standard, and the ABS wasn't as hard to find in Florida as I thought it would be. Really great little car. I'm still getting used to the steering but everything else seems great.

Right off the bat, I'm getting somewhere between 35-40 mpg my first 3 tanks worth with mostly city driving. I think it depends how you drive, though -- I don't accelerate rapidly or anything.

Anyway, I got a lot of security features (glass etching, alarm system, etc), the power package, the ABS, an automatic transmission, floor mats, kickplate, etc -- a few more options than I wanted and got them "thrown in" because of the lack of Versas on the lot, saying, "Well, I don't really need a kickplate, but you don't have one without it...." etc. I think I did really well, thanks to Edmunds and reading about it. Without my trade in the mix, I still got it for 14,650 and got it in one afternoon without a lot of nailbiting and handwringing. I was happy with the price, the car, everything. I love it!
    Just drove my Black 1.8SL Hatchback with CVT off the lot today at Trophy Nissan in Mesquite, TX. Costed me about 16800 including the convenience package, mats, splash guards and kick plates. Not too bad a deal but it did take me over 6 hours for the entire process.
  • pixel1pixel1 Member Posts: 14
    Picked up new 07 SL w/ABS and the CVT tranny two weeks ago for 16485 out the door. Only extras were splashguards and floormats. Onyx blue w/tan interior. Very pleasant buying experience and so far love the car. Test drove numerous cars prior to this: Fit, Civic, Corolla and felt the Versa had the best combo of comfort, safety, and driving feel.
    pixel1... Doesn't the out the door price include Tax and Title? Did 16485 include the TTL?
    Since tax varies from place to place, it is more useful to list the price before sales tax and license fees and also mention what metro area you made the purchase.
    Some places have no tax and cheap license fees and other have high sales tax and high license fees.

Sales price including the destination charge + any additional fees the dealer charges for documentation, "processing" or "preparation," etc.. Sales tax and license/registration are not part of the dealer charges.
  • pixel1pixel1 Member Posts: 14
    Both you and mpraju are right in asking about tax, etc. I should have stated that in my message. Purchased the car in Medford, Oregon, a state with no sales tax. The DMV title added $102 to the total. So we actually wrote a "check" for $16587 to drive off the lot.
  • dhauerdhauer Member Posts: 16
    Just send me an email and I will fill you in on how to get this on any Versa
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,051
    Why don't you tell us here, and inform everyone?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

It's pretty simple actually. If you shop in the right markets you can get some great deals. For example I am a dealer in the detroit area. When it comes to foriegn imports in this market you can get great deals because we have to compete with employee deals with the big 3. Depending on the vehicle you actually choose you may be able to get the car at invoice. In rare cases you can get below invoice as the dealer is willing to give up some hold back to get a unit over the curb. You may have to come here and drive your new car home or have it shipped but you will still save some cash in the long run.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Would be curious to learn more however I don't see an email address listed in your profile.
    Yeah sorry I have not had a chance to set up a profile yet. My e-mail address is dhauer@nissansh.com. Send me a message, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have.
  • blkversablkversa Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a new versa sl hatchback...black w/ beige int, cvt, abs, mud guards, floor mats for 15400 (this price includes destination, but does not include tax, lic, etc.). Bought this car in Los Angeles. I think I got a pretty sweet deal. What do you guys think?? Side note: I just noticed condensation on driver side taillight!! It's not from washing the car, nor did it rain...Where did it come from??...I'm pissed! I did not expect this from a new car!! Anyone else experiencing the same?? Should I tell the dealer to replace the whole taillight completely? I don't think I want them to just put some sealant on it. (Would've started a new thread for this subject, but didn't know how)
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Could be the taillamp was improperly installed, and that's why it's leaking. Have the dealer check it out and repair as needed--the car is under warranty for a long time, so don't worry about it. This has happened to two cars I've owned (for headlamps), and the fix was quick and easy each time.

When I drove by my local Nissan dealer today, I saw a new Sentra sitting outside with one headlamp clouded over, the other crystal clear. So it happens.

And the price you got does look pretty darn good! :)
    what was the m.s.r.p. on the versa you just got. if you give me the m.s.r.p.'s on the cars and then the rice you paid i can tell you if it was a good deal or not :D
    Thanks dhauer,
    The msrp is $16,675...I paid $15,400 at a dealer in the Los Angeles area (both numbers include destination but not tax, lic, etc). It is a blk ext/beige int Versa SL hatchback, CVT, ABS, splash guards, and floor mats. I know I got a pretty good deal, but I wanna know if I got an extraordinary deal!
    You got a great deal. That is invoice minus holdback. You could not have possibly walked with that vehicle unless it was an old model year (which it obviously is not) or if Nissan came out with rebates or dealer cash. Buy your salesperson some donuts if he did a good job for you because he did not make anything more than a mini by selling that to you at that price.
    Was just wondering if anyone got the extended warranty. I did. Wondering if it was a good decision on my part. My logic was that it is a new model for Nissan and wanted to cover my a**. But then again, it up'ed my total another $1000. Any thoughts??
  • krethemekretheme Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a 1.8 S in the 6-speed with the power package, ABS, and the aluminum kickplates.

According to the Consumer Reports fact sheet I bought, the invoice on this car was $12,680 + 607 + 217 + 67 = $13,571. The holdback, according to CR was $241 (which might actually be low, because they calculated the HB on the base model without extras), so I'm assuming the dealer had $13,330 in the car.

There were two dealers with almost the same model in the Albany, NY area (the only difference on the alternate car was that it had the floor mats instead of the kickplates): Nemith and Lia. We went through two rounds of bidding by phone with the dealers. The final purchase price was $13,671 from Nemith; Lia went to $13,900 on their car. Both dealers were easy to work with on the phone.

The final bottom line was $13,671 + 1093.68 (tax) + 67.50 (doc fees) = $14,832.18 OTD. If you count the doc fees as pure profit (which they probably aren't), we got the car for 408.50 over dealer cost, or a markup of about 3.1%.
  • hellomskittyhellomskitty Member Posts: 3
    Hey All - This is my first post and I have a tough question. HOpefully I'm not being totally scammed here...but it's not looking good for me. :(

I went to a Nissan dealership this past weekend and fell in love with the Versa when I had very low expectations. The salesmen was very helpful and told me that although they didn't have the exact car I wanted on the lot, they'd work with me to get it.

They did an internet search of nearby dealerships and found the car I wanted (ABS, CVT, SL model, Sport Pack, Convenience Pack, Sirius, Black or Dark Blue) in NJ (I'm in PA). Since it was close to closing time on Saturday, he was unable to get a hold of the dealer trade person. I filled out hte paper work, negotiated my deal and left with an sales agreement with all but the VIN filled in. So.....today I called to say that he neglected ot provide the VIN or was this b/c he first wanted to verify the availabiity of the car.

He called me back late in the afternoon and said this was the case. The first two dealerships he found had the car but it was either reserved or someone had a deposit on it. Last I heard he was working on getting me one from Upstate NY.

My question is...is this all a scam and he's cheating me? Or is this standard procedure?
    On the surface it seems reasonable to me. I don't see how the sales rep could have filled in a VIN when it wasn't clear which car you were buying--or if a car was even available. And it turned out it wasn't. It appears your sales rep is doing his best to find you the car you want. If he were trying to cheat you, he would be trying to sell you something on his lot instead of continuing to search for a car. And it doesn't look like you have given them any money yet, so where is the scam?
    Thanks Backy - I agree...I just wanted to make sure. I actually did give him $1500 (half of my money down on the car) via credit card. The original plan was that he was going to get Car A from a nearby dealership. Hence my deposit. When the car was on their lot, he would ask me to look it over, verify it's what I wanted and then give the other half of my down payment. Plus, as I said, I actually have a sales agreement with all but the VIN of the car on it.

Can they pull cars from anywhere in the country on, say a truck as long as the dealership is willing to trade?

Also, originally my car was to have 300 miles or so on it. If it comes from further away how do I handle that?
    1. They went to more trouble to get it...so i don't want to pay them more.
    2. It's not a "new" car anymore...so should I pay less?

I would have thought by now that these cars would have been more widespread. Anyone know how long it takes to get from factory?

Sorry for all the questions...this is my first new car experience and I'm in love with this car...I just hope I can get it. ;(
  • lorrralorrra Member Posts: 3
    Speaking to the question of transporting your car from another dealership... if it's important to you that it be trucked in, get it in writing! My experience: after confirming verbally with two people on the sales team that my car would be trucked in, I was shocked to find my beloved car with about 400 miles on it... it had been driven in from Chicago to the Detroit area. AAAAAHHHH!!!
    I hope you didn't make it obvious to the dealer that you are in love with this car. ;)

Good thing you gave them the deposit on a credit card--you can file a complaint with your card company if there is any problem getting the car, and they will investigate for you and help you get your money back.

If the dealer cannot honor the original agreement, then you are within your rights to cancel the agreement and get your deposit back.
    Well, I definitely said it was a car that I prefer.

At any rate...I spoke with him this morning and he said he's not getting call backs from the dealers that have the car I want. He also said that he ran the criteria for my car on the search and they were able to find more in either the dark gray or silver. So...I'd accept those colors as well.

I guess the question is, how long do I wait before I cancel the contract?

And...any word on how long it's taking to order from the factory these days?
    First you need to find out if it is even possible to "order from the factory." That may be possible with Nissan, but it is not possible with some makes--dealers get what they get.

As for how long you wait, that depends on your patience and the terms of your agreement with the dealership.
  • calebu2calebu2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm curious about the Edmunds TMV pricing. In the past I have had trouble getting to that price with the dealer. This time I walked in they seemed more than happy to give me a SL with the convenience package, mats, splash guards and kick plates for 16500 (incl destination charges) which was a reasonable amount below the TMV price.

Did Edmunds' get persuaded by the dealers to up that price so that customers felt happier?

In the end, the dealer was convinced that they could get me back in the financing, offering me a choice between a lease with an effective APR of 18% and a loan with an APR of over 9%. Having excel on my phone helped change that one and they finally gave me a loan at the rate I could have gotten from Capital One.
    TMVs are by necessity averages. So it's always possible that some people will get better-than-TMV pricing and others may not get the dealer to go as low as TMV.

Here's what Edmunds.com says about how TMVs are calculated:

http://www.edmunds.com/about/pricingtable/lo/about_pricing2.html
  • lemonhaterlemonhater Member Posts: 110
    Well I was able to negotiate the price of my SL to 16500. It is equally equiped with the execption of the mats. However I also had to use the capital one tactic to get the rate down to 7%. They were tring to get me at 10%!
  • hbfeverhbfever Member Posts: 13
    I have a story for everyone. Bear with me it's a long one, but worth the read.

This happened to me about 4 weeks ago. I live in Tucson, AZ...110 miles south of PHX. At the time I was looking to purchase a Versa and no one in Tucson had an SL model. So, I went looking in PHX. ABC Nissan called me back with some okay pricing on an SL, CVT, ABS. I asked for the out the door because I wanted to put $1,200 down on the vehicle and finance the rest thru USAA. He replied...$17,125. I decided to take it. The guy even drove the vehicle down from PHX to deliver it to me. Upon the final signing of the paperwork, there was a discrepency in the price. I thought it was going to be 17,125-1,200=15,925. His numbers were 18,325-1,200=17,125. I told him I would meet him half way. He wouldn't do it. I reviewed my budget and offered 18,000. He still wouldn't do it. So, I sent him back to PHX.

I got a call from his manager an hour or so later to see how the deal went. I told him that there was a miscommunication in the final price. The guy then goes into the make me feel bad for not purchasing the car rhetoric. I told him it was an honest miscommunication between a motivated buyer and seller. I tried to remain civil and unemotional as possible.

The next morning, at 8 a.m., I receive a call on my cell phone. This is the transcript of the conversation: "Hello. Yes. " and then he hung up. I immediately re-dialed the call and got the voicemail for the salesmen who drove the car down the afternoon previous. Needless to say I was extremely irrate. I called the dealership and asked for a manager or supervisor and read them the riot act and asked that they destroy all the personal information of mine that they had. I also called the police and filed a report. The manager of the dealership called me back and said that they had a sit down with the salesmen and "wrote him up". I persistently asked her why any of her salesmen would engage in such behavior over a deal gone wrong. She offered no real explanation and talked around the topic.

I don't know about the rest of you, but where I work, if I threatened a customer...I would have been canned on the spot. Anyway, just wanted to share this little gem of a car buying experience.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    funny, I also live in Arizona, but over here in little cowtown Willcox. My story involves a Tucson Mitsubishi dealer. I wanted to get a 2008 Lancer GTS...he offered to meet me in Benson, halfway, and he'd bring a '08 Lancer GTS for me to test drive.

Well, come that day and that time and he didn't show! Turns out he drove a Lancer GTS over to the Tucson Air Show that day and "totally forgot about our meeting in Benson."

Well, long story short, I bought a '08 Lancer GTS from Avondale Mitsubishi, on the border of Phoenix.

This guy went into an e-mail tirade about me mistreating him. I kindly reminded him of our meeting. He told me that I would have to take my Lancer over to Phoenix just to that dealer(I bought from) for service because he wouldn't let me get serviced there in Tucson or Sierra Vista, another 10 miles further from me than the Tucson store is.

I e-mailed another salesman whom I have been in contact with for months and he told me that that guy was full of hogwash and that I could take my Lancer GTS to the Tucson or Sierra Vista or even Phoenix dealer if I so desired and to ignore this clown.
    Funny how some people can be so blind to their own faults and instead see red when things don't go their way in sales. They should have much thicker skin than that to sell automobiles.

Anyhow, I won't belabor this post any longer..this thread is a Versa thread but I have followed the Versa for a long time too and couldn't resist commenting after reading your post, hbfever.

Oh, I love my '08 Lancer GTS, BTW. :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Well the funny thing is the Following Nissan Dealers are owned by the same group, ABC, Peoria, Pinnicale and Midway. They are all owned by the same automotive group, but I have to say, I got treated the same at ABC and Midway, very bad last year. But excellent at Peoria and Pinnicale (scottsdale). I have never had a bad time with the sales people at those two dealerships. Its very funny how they can be owned by the same group and treat customers differently. I took my Versa to ABC Nissian for Service and was treated very well tho, I would never buy a car from that dealership or Midway...

Tony/PHX
  • hbfeverhbfever Member Posts: 13
    Next time I buy a car, I am going with an auto broker. I already loathed the process of buying a new car, that experience broke the camel's back. Sorry to stereotype, but why are most car salesmen absolute jackasses? In my book, they are down there right next to e-mail spammers.

On a positive note...I ended up buying my Versa from Thoroughbred Nissan in Tucson and was treated very well.
    Carsdirect and Carbargains are good to use. Carsdirect's fee/commission is bundled into their price quotes for the dealer they work with in your region. Carbargains charges you a fee directly and they obtain new quotes from several different dealers and let you specify which dealers you want quotes from. You see every dealer's quote in writing and can go to any of them or none.
    Well I never deal with the floor salesman, I use the Fleet/Internet deparmtent. They are none pressure sales, and I have always gotten the deal I wanted...
    Most of the work was done via e-mail..

Tony
  • akachouchakachouch Member Posts: 1
    Hello every one
    I live in TORONTO CANADA , I have just signed a lease on a 2007 VERSA SL with CVT transmision , for 19,500 + tax = 22,230 $ CAD. I would love to know if it was well negociated??
    Thanks for replying
  • ckriszckrisz Member Posts: 1
    Going today to pick up my new Versa S hatch.

Versa S
    6-speed manual
    Power package
    ABS
    Floor mats

$13,300.

Baron Nissan in Greenvale, NY. Low-stress, no-hassle.

My method was to basically call almost 35 dealers in the area. Got the runaround at Bayside Nissan (quoted me $12,035 to get me in the dealership, walked immediately when they came back with $13,700). Next up was Baron, and they didn't pressure or do anything "car-dealer-ish." Thumbs up. I think the price is good for the car I'm buying.
  • danmc15danmc15 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a Versa S last week. With AT, powerpack, kick bar, mats,...Price paid $14,256. This was a "special deal" through the corporation I work for so should have been somewhere around invoice price.
    FYI, had a terrible experience with Dorschel Nissan here in Rochester. I recommend avoiding for another dealer.
    So far love the car.
  • arcadianwingsarcadianwings Member Posts: 5
    I got my Versa S with MT, power package, and kick plate for $200 under invoice price from Crowley Nissan. It was a truly hassle-free buying experience. Test drive request and inquiry were made through e-mails. I was offered the below-invoice price without having to ask, beg, or threaten the salesperson. :)

On the other hand, can anyone in Orlando, FL area recommend a trustworthy dealership as well as mechanics specializing in imported cars? I am in the process of relocating and would really appreciate any help you can give in this area.
    please post your out the door price..

Tony