Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Did you get a good deal on your Versa? Tell us about it here!

Comments

• soloridersolorider Member Posts: 2
    I stopped by the dealer in my area (Georgia) and they told me that they will charge $2k over the sticker price as the demand is high and the supply is short.
    Did any Versa owner had a similar experience when purchasing it? :(
  • okcmitchellokcmitchell Member Posts: 9
    Solorider,
    I picked up my Versa SL,red with CVT yesterday afternoon. I had put up a $500 check with the dealer about a month ago. During the final "sit down" the salesman told me the boss wanted $1000 over the $16,205 on the sticker. I bucked and started out. They caved, but it was clear they wanted to try and take advantage of the high demand and short supply night now. This was one of four dealers in OKC, OK, and I have no idea what the others might be doing.

Will report satisfaction updates. So far, it is a much better ride that my old Scion xA.

okcmitch
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Solorider,

Regarding the added Dealer market up, this is typical for ANY new car that hits the market that has a big demand. When the Fit hit the market a local honda dealer here in Phoenix, added 3K. Funny thing, 2 days later I got a call from that dealer and was told they were having a HUGH sale on the Fit, with a 3K discount.

The MSRP for my Versa with Convience package and carpet kit was 17,015, I paid $16,500 for it. Dealer invoice on my car was 16,256. So I paid 250 over dealer invoice.

I would shop around your area to all the nissan dealers and see what you can do. All dealers today have a "internet" department, go to thier web sites (all dealers have web sites) and write a form letter to them all and see who will give you the best price, you can usally get a better deal through the Internet/Fleet department then the regular sales department..

Hope this helps

Tony :shades:
  • soloridersolorider Member Posts: 2
    Hi Tony,

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.
    Actually I did that through the internet, but they all said there was no car to sell at the moment. So I walked into one of them that had the car and had that kind of price mark up. I did not have the similar experience with Fit or Yaris. I could buy them for $500 below the sticker price. I will wait for one or two weeks to see what is going to happen to the price.
  • cjshowcjshow Member Posts: 16
    Hello, [okcmitchell]!
    You just bought my car! Ha, ha. I am looking to buy that exact model and color in NW ohio, but as of yet there are none even to test drive (only 2 dealers to choose from and I don't want to buy out-of-state for tax reasons). I do have a question about the red color: is it a metallic red and is it similar to the red available on the Murano (sunset)? Also, did you get black interior or the tan? Thanks -C.J. :)
  • okcmitchellokcmitchell Member Posts: 9
    C.J.,

The red is the "real" fire truck red, not metallic. I got charcoal for the interior, not tan. Feels and looks great. I sold my Scion xA, release series 1.0 on eBay to buy the Versa. Many similar qualities, but Versa is just enough bigger, smoother and more comfortable to suit me. 20,000 miles in the xA were much fun and very zippy, but the Versa will accomodate my golf clubs in the hatch and covered; Scion wasn't wide enough. CVT is going to take some getting used to. My first car in 15 years without a clutch.
  • chipkarsickerchipkarsicker Member Posts: 14
    I test drove a 6-speed Versa at a local Nashville dealer. The dealer told me that I could get a discount of about $1,000 if I had a family member or a friend who works for Nissan. Since Nissan NA Headquarters and a major plant are located near Nashville, TN, lots of people can enjoy this benefit, although I know no one working for Nissan. Nevertheless, is anyone familiar with the program and willing to share the detailed information? Thanks.
  • maplesugamaplesuga Member Posts: 1
    The Nissan Canada website shows things like foglights and sunroof as part of the "sport" package - but the "build and price" shows only the "technology" package available to add on - I'd love to get a sunroof, but the "salespeople" (they're not real salespeople, they're Nissan reps in one of the mall-shows that are going on right now) says that they're not availble.

Anybody know if we're talking late availability or no availability?
  • tgreenwoodtgreenwood Member Posts: 1
    I live in the San Francisco Bay area and have driven both the Fit and Versa. I was going to by a Fit S at MSRP, then in 2 days all but 1 of 15 dealers I spoke with (none had one in stock) were marking the car up $2995-people are paying this for a Fit. I will not.

I have since driven the Versa and want to buy one, but already the Dealer(s) are marking it up from $1500 to $3000.
    Again, why pay that price for this (well thought out) car, when a good deal of the attraction of both these models is the price point?
  • wulfgarwulfgar Member Posts: 38
    Silver Versa S, six-speed with the Power Package and floor mats = $ 14,360.00 out-the-door. Fair price but it would be nice to have had a few more dollars off. Picking it up today so I'll post soon in the gas mileage thread.
    $14,400 is a good price, now that includes all tax's, fees and crap that the dealer adds. again not a bad price....

Tony
  • benduprebendupre Member Posts: 121
    The cars are just coming out. You aren't going to see wheeling and dealing right now. I can't beleive dealers think they can get 1-3K premium over sticker. I guess PT Barnum was right.

I got a 1.8SL with convenience package and XVT, floormats for 16,905. Dealer said "the discount is built in" on this model... there's only $600 profit in the deal. Plus he just doesn't have to deal on his two only 07 Versas, he's trying to unload his 6 06 sentras.

Basically I drove the car off the truck and into my garage. The sales guy had been telling people he had an SL coming in any day, but I just happened to be there when the truck pulled up. I was nice and let one of the salesman's other clients com in and drive my car while we were working up the sale.

I drove the six speed 1.8S base model, then went and drove a Fit and looked at a Yaris, ate lunch and came back to buy the Versa and they were just rolling the 1.8SL off the truck. I drove the SL with the XVT and it was like driving a whole different car. :surprise: The XVT is a much better transmission than the manual or the automatic (although the four-speeds aren't out yet, I drove a Sentra). The manual seemed like it was geared too short for a six apeed. The six speed tacked 3700 at 80mph while the XVT will drop down to 2500 at 80 on level highway. I can see why it earns a higher MPG than the manual. Plus, it seemed like when shifting the six speed, the engine would race between shifts. I'm used to the RPM dropping off when I let off the gas and put in the clutch. It made shifting a little jerky. Granted I am a little out of practice driving stick (it's been at least 10 years since I owned one) but I think the "throttle-by-wire" was defective.

Anyone considering the VERSA should strongly consider the XVT. It's worth the price. Don't get suckered into paying over sticker though. My guess is dealers will soon be swimming in these little tadpoles.

Ben
    Ben its called CVT not XVT...

Btw, I paid 16,500 for my Versa SL with Convience package, Carpet kit and CVT.

There are 2 type of buyers, one who wants something and don't care what is cost and the other are the informed consumer. The dealer invoice on my car was $16,256.

• drmargedrmarge Member Posts: 2
    There is only one Nissan dealer in the PA county where I live and they only had 2 cars, one manual and one with CVT. I paid the sticker price of $16905.00 for the one with the CVT(with convenience pkg. and floor mats). No negotiating here because I didn't have the time to go far for the shopping and I really NEEDED the car. I had no trade-in, no down payment. I literally drove the car off the lot without paying a single cent cash.
    It's the Xtronic CVT. You're right. I was thinking I read XVT somewhere as a NISSAN trademark or something. CVT is generic term representing many different technologies of "continuously variable transmission" including torroidal designs and hydrostatic and hydromechanical. For a living I write service manuals for a hydrostatic transmission manufacturer. Right now the belt and pully style, originally developed for snowmobiles, is the only viable option for on-highway vehicles.

No one else who posted seems to have been able to swing a discount. I checked with several dealers in Iowa. Here they had just received their first orders of the cars and no one was wanting to deal. You're going to make your best deals right now on the 06 models. If there were an 06 versa, I would have bought that one. Best time to shop for a new car: End of the model year, end of the month. That's when dealers (and manufacturers) will feel the most pressure to move inventory.

'Round here manuy dealers will give you good will on your trade instead of deeply discounting the vehicle price. Which is basically what they did for me. They gave me $900 for a 96 sable with bad transmission so I counted that as a $900 discount. The car is headed straight for the junk-yard.

It looks like I'm very close to the end of my first tank of gas at 267 miles. I'm waiting for the light to go on to get a better idea of what empty is. I didn't fill the car, the dealer did, so I really can't tell what milage is on this tank. I always top off so the next tank will give me some real numbers.

Ben
    If you have very strong credit you can bacially 'sign and drive' with nothing out of pocket.

Tony
    Ben I think I got a great deal on mine, at $500 under MSRP. When I say MSRP I'm talking the manufactures MSRP not the dealers MSRP. Dealers always add, automate (paint protections, window tint, door edge gaurds and pinstrips) the dealers MSRP was 18,700 and I paid $16,500.

Regarding the fuel light, mine came on and I went straight a gas station, it took 11.3 gallons to fill up. So I had 2 gallons left.

Tony
  • voltronguyvoltronguy Member Posts: 10
    We just got an SL w/ convenience package and floormats (MSRP 16,905) for 16,728. The dealer had a black manual and the one we got, so they were trying to get rid of them to get a little more color. I know it's not an awesome deal, but reading about some dealers charging 1-3k over msrp I feel pretty good about it.

We bought it on a Friday after the dealer closed, but picked it up on Saturday. Turns out some people came in Saturday morning when the dealer opened to get our car. To bad for them! While we were doing the last bits of paperwork I was watching the car like a hawk. With only one available Versa on a busy Saturday lot I was really worried about someone trying to get in it or scratch it while checking it out. Luckily we made it out with no problems.

We drove an Accent SE, then a Fit Sport, and then Versa and it was no contest for us. :)
    16,905 is the MSRP. There is no such thing as a "dealers" MSRP. The M is for MANUFACTURER. As far as I know my dealer didn't add anything to the vehicle except gas.

It's great you got $405 off the price. You must be a shrewd negotiator.

Honestly, I've never paid sticker price for a car before. There's always a discount somewhere. This was a first for me but I understand the situation. Supply and demand, pure and simple. I didn't want any other car and the tranny was going out on my trade, so I couldn't wait for better buying conditions. After hearing that some dealers are marking up sticker price, I don't feel so screwed paying MSRP.

I could have bought a loaded 06 sentra with Rockford Fosgate sound system for $14,500, but it's too small a vehicle for me. Plus the CVT beats the pants off of the Sentra's 4-speed auto. I fit much better into the Versa and I'm 6'/325lb. I never thought I'd be comfortable in so small a vehicle. This car is like the TARDIS.

Four weeks ago, we bought a brand new 06 Quest and we got that from another NISSAN dealer nearby for dealer invoice -$3000 factory incentive for $21,795 or about $6000 off sticker (MSRP). We were extremely happy with that purchase price.

Ben
    Being a 'shrewed Negotiator' nope, informed consumer yes. Dealer invoice for my car was 16,256, and I paid $244 over that for a new car and they only had 2 of them to sell, for that price I got tinted windows, Lexon door edge Guards, carpit kit and paint protection. I say I got a damn good deal..

And you paid, full MSRP....

Enogh said.

• dtlaydtlay Member Posts: 1
    Went to look at a Sentra (didn't like it at all), salesman aked if I had looked at the Versa. (I had never heard of it.) They had 2 right off the truck. One was almost custom mad for my tastes. Red SL, manual, convinience package, black interior. MSRP 15,905 (plus the dealer add ons of about 700). Was offered 2500 to start for my trade, taking it to 14,100. Ended up paying 13,250. (Last offer on the trade was 3200, 100 more than book. Past that I told them I didn't care where the price came from, just the bottom line.) Also got them to throw in a tank of gas if I bring in the survey card later. As soon as the tank is on E, I'll be there.

Had looked hard at a Mazda3, but felt like there was a lot more room here, especially in the back, plus I liked the handling and feel of the transmission better.

Only issue on day 3 (so far, anyway) is the gasket around the handle for the brake isn't seated right, and it pushes the hande up at times jsut enough to register that the brake is set. A little irriating, but should be simple enough to fix (for the dealer, of course.)
    COngrats on buying the car, I have a feeling Nissan is going to discount the Sentra a lot to move them. So are you enjoying the car?

• oregoneoregone Member Posts: 11
    Walked into the dealership in Gresham, Oregon last night. They had a Versa SL with manual transmission and convenience package. MSRP was $15,905 and total with Additional Dealer Markup was $17,705. I offered $15,000 and they countered with $16,655. I told them that i couldn't pay higher than MSRP with a clear conscience so they told me to have a nice day and good luck.
    I've sent an email to every dealer within a 150-mile radius (from Eugene to Tacoma) asking if they can beat that price. So far (at 8:30 in the morning the very next day), I've already received two calls from dealers saying they will match the price, but not beat it. I'm thinking that a Versa is not in my future, unfortunately.
    There are more cars in the pipeline. The madness will subside in a few weeks. If you can wait that long.

There are dealers out there selling Versas for MSRP and less. The guy from Phoenix got a discount and is very proud of himself.

I don't blame you one bit for walking out of that dealership. This is a totally artificial shortage and dealers are just price gouging. This car is no tickle-me Elmo. There isn't enough hype to support sales above MSRP.

Ben
  • kdb4221440kdb4221440 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an SL w/ convenience package, AT and floormats (MSRP 16,905) for 16,000. I thought it was a good deal. The car only have 8 miles. I think some dealer willing to deal and price also depending on where you live.

Kdb
  • tadatada Member Posts: 4
    I bought a new Versa back on 7/15/06. Second one sold in Denver.

2007 Versa S
    Blue Onyx exterior
    Charcoal exterior
    Power package (windows, locks, keyless entry)
    6 speed manual transmission
    I paid $13,905 + tax & fees = $14,990.

I paid MSRP, but the supply was low, I got an excellent trade-in, and I wanted the car.
    Ben I'm not 'proud of myself' as you stated. Just informing people that you can get a good deal on the Versa.

The resl trick is to use either the 'internet department or Fleet Department (depends on what your dealer calls it.) If you let the floor saleman help you, you wont get a good deal. Also what helps is having multi dealers in your city, here in PHX we have 8 Nissan Dealers, so price will be better.

Granted my dealer didn't make a lot on my car, but there are people who are completely clueless on how to buy a car and the dealer will take advantage of them.

So any of you looking, call the dealer before going down, and ask if they have a Internet Department or FLeet Department, speak to a salesmen, and tell them you want to buy a Versa and you want the best price. Get thier name and when you arrive, and the salesmen does not take you to a separte part of the dealership (usally away from the showroom) then they don't have that department, but all dealers have them. I have never bought a car from a floor salesmen..

Well, it took three days, but I got my Versa SL w/ convenience package for under MSRP. After sending emails to all the dealerships in Seattle, they basically told me that there was no way I was getting it for under $2000 ADM. They told me to not even bother driving up because they were "flying off the lot as soon as they got off the truck." Whether or not that is true, I took their advice and stayed in Portland.
    I got mine for $600 above invoice, so I figure that after the dealer holdback of 2% Mazda has, the dealer made about $900 in profit. So I guess both parties are happy. I'm sure I could have done better with a month or two of patience, but for a first-time new car buyer, I'm going to give myself a B-.
    By the way, does anyone want to buy a '92 Mazda for $150?
    Good for you. What did you pay? As I recall there's only about $600 difference between Invoice and MSRP on these cars. At least that's what my dealer told me. I was told by one dealer (not the one I bought from) that "The discount is built-in" That's funny.

So how do you like it so far?

Ben
  • gaboogaboo Member Posts: 4
    $16000 with 4 speeds or cvt?
    if you paid $16k for cvt, you got a great steal! :shades:
    Black Nissan Versa SL (manual, of course, because I don't know how to drive an automatic) with floor mats and convenience package: $16,016 after fees, dmv, registration, etc.
    Oddly enough, when I picked it up today they had their white base model prominently displayed on one of those little rotater thingies. They put some fancy rims on it and the sticker price says $17,795! That's almost a $4000 mark-up!
    I've put a total of 55 miles on it, and so far I think it's great. I'm really impressed with the keyless entry, and how you can just press that little button to make the door unlock as long as you have your "key" in your pocket.
    Sounds like you got a deal. MSRP is 15,905. I don't know what the tax rate is in Oregon, but TTL must be at least $800-1000. Enjoy.
    Very good and congrats, so what do you think of the convenience package ?

P.S. regarding the base versa with the aftermarket wheels and mark up yes, everydealer does that...
  • smiling2smiling2 Member Posts: 12
    Just buy a 2006 Honda Accord LX SE for 18200.00 and all your problems will be solved as this car gets 32 mpg.

Why in the world would you buy a versa, they are junk and they are making the suppy tight so you will pay MSRP and cave in.
  • cluedweaselcluedweasel Member Posts: 150
    There's no sales tax in Oregon. I'm not sure about the current rates but when Ibought my last new car in 2006, the State tegistation fee was $26 a year. All I ha to pay on top of the negotiated price was $128 for tags for four years.
    Whats that I hear? Californians crying? :)
  • wulfgarwulfgar Member Posts: 38
    Thank you for that stunning assessment of what WE ought to buy.
    Tha accord looks nice, but it's not a hatch. Plus it starts at 18,200. You couldn't put enough option on a Versa to make it cost that.

The car is not junk and NISSAN is not limiting supply, it's just a brand new model. The cars are on the way.

You must be stupid if you think a manufacturer would limit supply to manipulate prices, they don't benefit from that. the only way you make more money on Versa is to make more Versa. DUH.

Ben
  • djindjin Member Posts: 5
    It seems like Honda is doing that with the Fit though. What type of manufacturer sends out a shipment in early July and then doesn't send another one again until mid September? Especially to a metroplex as big as DFW.
    Supply chain issues are supply chain issues. Not Macheivellian manipulative strategies. That's all.

Ben
  • yvette0179yvette0179 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone help me in figuring out what other people are paying for 2006 Mazda Tribute S.
    first try going to the Mazda section not the Nissan section.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Hi, Yvette0179...

You can find the Mazda Tribute Prices Paid discussion here:

Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute/Mercury Mariner: Prices Paid & Buying Experience

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• redacrredacr Member Posts: 24
    Not quite.
    Having a shorter supply is advantageous.
    Look at the xbobx 360 fiasco. Limited supply tends to drive up demand. Result? People clamoring for 360's 6-9 months after release.
    Same goes for cars. Building more small cars does not equate to more profit, as small cars tend to be net losers for many car companies, who depend on higher end cars/suv's for huge profits.
    Disagree. Nissan actually makes more proffit on more vehicles. This was Ford's discovery and has been an immutable law of manufacturing since the model T. Volume drives down cost.

But you are right about margins on the larger vehicles. Also a reason why Versa might be in short supply.

It's just ramping up now though, in time more will come, but supply is only half the equation.

Ben
  • rrajarraja Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

When someone posts here "I paid $$$" does it reflects with or without tax+fees - out the door price?

I am being quoted $16,205 ( not including tax+fees) for versa SL with automatic/CVT/floor mats. No package. Does convenience package is fllor mats?

What price I should get as a good deal on this one. Again please help me understand the price, is it out of door or not.

Thanks in advance,
    Raja
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    What price I should get as a good deal on this one. Again please help me understand the price, is it out of door or not.

Unless someone specifically says "OTD", I would assume the price of the vehicle they mention does not include tax, title, etc.

It appears you are being quoted MSRP for the car. Checking carsdirect.com, it appears you are not getting the convenience package; the floormats are a seperate $150 item.

That said, I would maybe try to get a few hundred off the car. Maybe take the tack of trying for $16,500 out-the-door. That way you wouldn't have to worry about getting ripped off; you're still getting a few hundred under MSRP, which is about the most they're going to discount this car for. Then again, if you were fishing for a deal, you'd be better off taking one of the dealer's '06 Sentras off his hands.

They may bump you to $17,000 OTD, which is still a good deal. Try to meet him in between at $16,750 first though. A lot of this depends on what your taxes are.
  • steve05401steve05401 Member Posts: 50
    Hi, all-- My 1st post on this. And I don't want this to sound like I'm gloating, but: I'm fortunate to work for a company that is a supplier to Nissan. We, in turn, participate in the Nissan Vehicle Purchase Program, which allows me to purchase my Fresh Powder (white) Versa SL CVT w/Conv Pkg., Sunroof Pkg., Audio Pkg., Sirius satellite radio and floor mats for 2.87% UNDER dealer's invoice. MSRP (incl. dest.) is $18105; dealer invoice is $17218. My purchase price is $16724. Being told it will arrive supposedly within about 2-3 months, which is fine with me, as I'm not in any rush. I had considered Scion xA, Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Hyundai Accent SE and Volkswagen Rabbit. Being lucky enough to be able to use the Nissan VPP clinched the deal for me.
    Man, sounds like you got the works. Most are paying MSRP or a little under. My SL with CVT/Convenience/mats cost 16,905 (fullMSRP). Plus I paid $430 for the dealer to install Sirius. You're getting everything for less than that. I got good trade allowance which made the deal acceptable for me.

Some are being quoted over MSRP for this car, but I haven't heard of any suckers biting that hook yet.

This car should be nice with a sunroof. I haven't seen one with sunroof yet. You'll have to post pics.

Ben
    rraja,

The convenience package is $700 and includes Inteligent Key (you don't have to put the key in the ignition to open or stert the car) and Bluetooth wireless hands-free phone interface. I think that also comes with steering wheel audio controls.

It's a nice package for the price. I love walking up to my LOCKED car, pressing one button near the door handle, getting in and driving off without having to reach in my pocket for a key.

Ben
  • mrgoshmrgosh Member Posts: 1
    after 2 weeks of steady reading all i could find about versa/tiida and fit/jazz and finally test driving both i have decided on Versa. the salesman at nissan dealership gave me prices for the 2 versa models but something just doesn't seem right. I am hoping some one with some expertise can give me some feed back. Versa 1.8 S VOP package (no anti lock brakes) price out the door is 21'257. Versa 1.8 SL CVT out the door 23'000. I am in northern ontario and this is only nissan dealership, have been told to go to toronto where more dealerships can play with prices and give me some perks that i see many people getting. any help, advise would be greatly appreciated.
    :confuse: