Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• swooshbugswooshbug Member Posts: 5
    So, no car.

Here is what they offered me:

car price before incentives: 17073.00
    dealer fee: 115.00
    incentives: 3000.00

So, car would have been $14188 plus taxes, tags, title. I walked, I'll see if they call me or not. Can I get it for cheaper? My last offer was for 16800-3000 incentives,so would have been 13915 plus taxes, tags, title.
  • jinsongjinsong Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a Versa 1.8S hatchback automatic with power pakage. Anybody can share his price break down?
  • kool_chickkool_chick Member Posts: 3
    Hi All:

I am looking at a Hatchback Nissan Versa SL, CVT , power package, floor mat with cargo compartment. The price I got quote is $14000 with rebate(1250 + 750( finance thru Nissan)) , need to add tax, tag and dealer fee.

Can someone give me an idea if this is a good price? You think I can get it around $13600 or $13800 (to seal deal). Please help if you bought a similar car like this. I am in Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania.

Thanks in advance,

Kool_Chick
  • cyntimentalcyntimental Member Posts: 2
    You should be able to get a Versa H/B W/ ABS for $13800 after the rebates. (I also asked for window tint and received that as well. Never hurts to ask ;) Since it's the end of the month, you may be able to get an even lower OTD price.... :)
  • winniepoohpoohwinniepoohpooh Member Posts: 5
    Give you my information
    I got the quote for a hatchback versa 1.8S with ABS, power package and mat.
    The selling price is 13110 before the tax.
    The out the door price would be around 14500~14600.

I am in southern california.

If there is anyone want to buy a new versa near southern CA, we should go together!!!
  • kool_chickkool_chick Member Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone for your reply. I decided to get a Honda Fit instead. See my post to see if it is a good price.
  • cyntimentalcyntimental Member Posts: 2
    Have a great Versa day! :o)
  • iowa70iowa70 Member Posts: 4
    jinsong,

I just bought my 2009 Nissan Versa 1.8S hatchback automatic, with power package & cruise for $12988 OTD. Breakdown as follows

14050 dealer price
    938 tax, tag transfer and doc fee
    2000 incentives
    $12988 total

I didn't think that was too bad of a deal. Also, this was purchased in NC.
  • sdedmundssdedmunds Member Posts: 13
    iowa70 thanks for sharing. Would you mind telling us the APR? If it's the 2.9% APR from nissan, that would make you car payments at $233. I think that sounds like a reasonable price. However, you are in NC and the cost of living is much lower than in Miami, FL. So I don't know if I could get that same deal.

Anyhow, as I mentioned in earlier posts, I am only three weeks away from going to the dealerships to haggle for a deal. Does anyone know of a no haggle nissan dealership near Miami, FL? I want to start the negotiations with that price. I guess it would be the same thing as starting with carmax, but nonetheless I'd like to talk to a physical dealership.
  • exodusx187exodusx187 Member Posts: 3
    Im in the market for a new '09 versa but all i want is automatic and air condition. i don't need power windows, locks, or even a radio. Doesn't matter whether it's a sedan or hatch, whichever I can get for a lower price. what should i expect to pay. does anyone know the dealer invoice on these btw? :shades:
  • fflintstone1fflintstone1 Member Posts: 19
    This forum is quite helpful... I figured I'd throw some numbers at you, perhaps it helps someone else. Just purchased a Versa HB SL w/CVT.

I started by emailing four dealerships in my (central California) area. I gave them my OTD wishes, and three dropped me immediately, while the last one kept emailing back and forth and I ended up buying there. Initially I wanted the cheapest Hatchback available (no power and options and such) but ended up buying the high-end-ish model, because I felt I got more value for the money ($3000 rebate). I financed most of it with NMAC @ 7.24% which is required for part of the rebate. I plan to do a BT to a 0% CC very soon ;)

Anyway, throwing some numbers at you:

MSRP 17,310 (incl Floor Mats, Kickplate, Destination, excl. TTL) LOL

My cash price was 16,402 - 3000 = 13,402
    Plus doc, tax, license, title 18,266 -3000 = 15266 OTD

Basically I negotiated a OTD price before coming into the dealership.

As for the car... My wife loves it. For being advertised as Americas cheapest car, it feels very solid. CVT is smoooooth. Extremely roomy in the back seat, much better than my Jetta, of course at the cost of trunk size. Almost no negatives... no ABS included, and I am not 100% comfortable in it even though it has arm rests and such. The seating position is very high, which isn't bad, but I don't find a way to relax my arms while grabbing the steering wheel, and the right foot doesn't have a way to rest while on the accelerator. Maintenance intervals are kinda short... On my Jetta I have to change oil every 10000mi, this one recommends 3750mi.
  • fatjohnbbfatjohnbb Member Posts: 1
    Thanks fflintstone1 for the post.
    You are very welcome, any questions let me know...

Another negative, I find it is a bit sensitive to windy conditions. Probably perfectly normal for a tall and light car.
  • flippyhopkinsflippyhopkins Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 2009 Nissan Versa 1.8 S used with 10K miles on it. It is a year old and the warranty is the same for a new Versa, just minus a year. Specs:

4-speed Transmission Auto
    Splash Guards
    Cruise Control
    1.8 S Power Package
    Floor and Trunk Mats.

They are asking for $13,120 and with everything added (tax, destination charge etc) they are asking for $14,100 OTD. I want someone to tell me if this is a good deal. I am a college student and this is my first car that is over $3000. I want to be happy with my purchase. Also paying in full if that even matters.

EDIT* It is also is Nissan Certified from a Toyota Dealership. NO ABS. Just thought I should add this.

Cheers!

Flippy Hopkins
  • chinadoll724chinadoll724 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the rebates/cash allowances have been over the last couple of months? I didn't want to jump on the July 4th cash allowance since I hadn't done enough research yet.

I'm looking for a hatchback with automatic in Socal- no other real requirements.
  • winniepoohpoohwinniepoohpooh Member Posts: 5
    As I know, there is 750 cash rebate for the versa HB ended on June 30. I am not sure the 500 cash rebate for the college graduate student has finish or not. I were not financing through Nissan, so I don't really understand the rebate related to NMAC cash. But as I know, there are not too much difference between these months.
    For the SL hatchback that I bought end of June, there were $3000 rebates and incentives. I don't know the exact breakdown, but I believe it was a $750 cash incentive, $1250 for financing with NMAC, and there must have been another $1000 for something else. I am not college grad/military/loyal etc, so not sure... There was a big sticker about the $3000 rebate advertised on the car window.
  • rancher5rancher5 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '09 Versa using a '91 Ford Ranger with just under 250,000 miles on it and was darn glad it made it to the dealer, out the door cost was 7,250$ including everything; tax dealer handling out the door. I would of never bought a car if this wasn't possible . Thank You all for the help in buying my car, you all helped pay for it. Its a 1.6 5 speed manual no extras and I just love it for its comfort and fuel economy sense the other vehicles here our all big trucks. Write your congressman and senators as we are going down a slippery slope.
  • psgame2kpsgame2k Member Posts: 36
    Hi fflintstone1,

What other options does your Versa SL have? I got my very own SL at end of June. My OTD price was $16000, after $3k cash rebate. It sounds like you got a better deal than me. Please share more of your buying experience at this forum. Thanks.
  • dfwversabuyerdfwversabuyer Member Posts: 2
    NEW VERSA S, INVOICE ~$12600, MSRP (with Destination Fee and Mats) $13910, Light Exterior, Dark Interior, Manual Trans:

Dealer 1 $12,264 Out the Door-taxes, fees, transfer (OTD) - (in person)
    Dealer 2: $12.460 OTD (internet) - Had to 'locate' - believe it was a 'tactic'
    Dealer 3: $13,110 OTD (internet)
    Dealer 4: $13,200 OTD (in person)
    Dealer 5: $13,597.26 OTD (internet)
    Dealer 6: $14,567.42 OTD (internet)

Range: ~2300
    Median: $13,155 OTD
    Mean: $13200 OTD

Conclusion: 1. Most dealer's INVOICE really is or slightly below the OTD price.
    2. Higher volume dealers offer better prices.
    3. Dealer's make money on:
    A. Difference in INVOICE minus MSRP
    B. Points on financing the vehicle 2% spread equals $311 or $250-$350 flat incentive (I think this is ALOT MORE)
    C. Holdback: 2-3% or $360 on $12K
    D. Dealer Volume incentives (manufacturer to dealer incentives) $300-1000/per car.
    E. Edmunds.com is an invaluable source of information
    F. August Rebates are the highest ($1250)
    4. Figure out the highest volume dealer in the area, go to each; if each do not deal, play one against the other.
    5. I did not 'do my deal' over the internet, but learned alot of information.

Research Complete on August 8, 2009.
    SOLD! $12,264. NEW VERSA S, RED, Manual Trans, AC, RADIO/CD, No Power Package/Cruise Control.
  • dfwversabuyerdfwversabuyer Member Posts: 2
    There seems to be a LOT of Versa Sedans in each of the Nissan Dealer's Inventory. If you are looking for one - wait...I smell a fire sale ahead.
    Hi psgame,

I might have gotten a slightly better deal. I contacted four dealerships via email, and three basically dropped me right away after I told them what I wanted.

I asked for the cheapest SL. I am not sure about the various packages, but I got floormats (which I thought I wouldn't, they might have just missed to remove them). There is a 6 CD changer with a aux port, cruise control on the steering wheel, and all power stuff. (Edit - it does not have ABS).

Basically I shared my buying experience at my earlier reply. Let me know what specifics you would like to know.
    A while ago I saw Versa sedans advertised for $7800.

They were pretty basic, no AC, no radio, etc. Still great price for a decent new vehicle with factory warranty.
    Hi fflintstone1,

thanks for the quick reply. Cruise control and power everything are standard on the SL model. Mine does have few upgrades. I got the convenience package, ABS package and splash guard.

Convenience package adds Bluetooth phone call and starting the car without a key. However I don't think the added "convenience" is worth the $700 additional cost. Plus CA just raise sales tax fee months ago. MSRP was $18190; dealer price $17300; tax + all other fee is almost $2000; minus $3000 cash back, OTD actually $16300.

What is the manufacture date of your SL?

What color did you get? I really wanted a blue one
    Back in June, the hatchback S model had $750 cash rebate + $1250 rebate if you finance thru NMAC. As for hatchback SL model, cash back was $1750 + $1250 rebate if financing thru NMAC. I believe the $750 / $1750 still available for hatchback models; but the $1250 financing rebate is gone. just google "Nissan Regional Offers", put in your zip code, then you can see what rebate is available.
    Hi psgame,

ABS is probably worth something... wasn't a big deal for me since here in Central Cali it is usually dry. If you get into wet or snowy conditions I'd think I'd gladly pay more to get it.

I didn't want the "convenience package"...

So my "dealer price" was lower (16400). It's just a made up number anyway, resulting from what I told them I was willing to pay, minus fees, plus any incentives. I am not too concerned with the sales tax (1500 I think) since we should be able to write that off or get a credit next tax year.

Dunno manufacturing date. I think they just made it in Mexi recently. I got the silver one. Was kinda in between the silver, platinum/gray, and light blue. Don't like the red and dark blue and black ones. White is kinda bleh, looks like a refrigerator. Decided on silver since it hides dirt very well, and doesn't heat up as much as a darker color. I still like it most after seeing more other colors on the road.
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    My kid got this color on her SL H/B with ABS and she just loves it. We had the windows tinted with the lightest tint and it looks really sharp. Don't personally care for the slowness of the CVT to get up to speed, a little longish if you ask me, but I just love the ability to just slide right over to get into the front seat and with my spinal issue, that's a great advantage. Getting into all our other cars, I kinds drop down into the seats which is very uncomfortable bordering on the painful. Nissan sure got the Versa drivers seat right.
    Otherwise, great car for the price and it just looks so much better than the Fit, inside & out.

The Sandman :sick: :shades: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

Hi fflintstone1,

It is easy to locate manufacturing date. Open driver side door, bend down slightly to the right, on the side panel, you will see a label with manufacture info on it. Manufacturing date shows the month and year.

The choices I had were black or gray. I chose the gray. But it is actually light gray; it looks good when sunlight shines on it.
    Hi sandman_6472,

congrats on getting a arctic blue SL. I like that color ver much. Will you mind sharing your out the door price breakdown? Thanks
  • confusedman1confusedman1 Member Posts: 34
    Hello
    first of all, thanks for everyone sharing their versa purchase experience. i am in the market for 09 versa 1.8 SL HB with ABS/Conv Pkg, i believe the MSRP+dest is 18190.

what's a good price to start negotiate with Boston area nissan dealers?
    and what are people paying for this model?

please let me know

many many thanks in advance
    Confusedman1
    I think it's a good deal if you can get dealer price under $17000 (that's before tax & all fees). In SF bay area, tax + fees add almost 10% to the cost.

Also, if you are not doing cash for clunkers, you really should wait til year end. Dealers are NOT offering much discount, given the government is giving away tax payers money to help auto industry.
  • 2m81a22m81a2 Member Posts: 2
    there is a rebate for $1,250 ending 8/31. using your figure $18,190 less $1,250 is $16,785. there should be room to neg. for around $1,000 less during normal time, but with the 'cash for clunkers' going on... dealers may not give.

i am looking for a similar hatchback in nyc. CVT, ABS, Conv Pkg + splash guard MSRP + dest is $18,035. if the price could be neg. down $1,000, plus the rebates $1,250 and $4,500 (clunker). the price should be $11,285 plus tax, title, license and fees.
  • confusedman1confusedman1 Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the info.
    here is one of the lowest quote i got from a local dealer.

sale price 15376( including 1250 rebates), if i were to do the 0%, the sale price is 16626, dealer said i can't combine rebate and 0%.

this dealer has only one SL HB left, and it wasn't color of my choice.

let me know if there is still room to neg down.

many thanks
  • 2m81a22m81a2 Member Posts: 2
    i would use this price and email other dealers. let them fight for your business. it's getting closer to the end of month, some may have quota to meet for bonus. you never know. especially, if that's not the color of your choice.
    Dealers always do the trick of telling you the price after factory cash rebate during negotiation. When they actually do the calculation, they will add tax and fees to the price, then minus the cash rebate at the end. My dealer said the cash rebate is taxable.

Also, dealer don't care if you take the cash rebate or not, since it is not coming from their pocket. Others in this forum suggested having an "out-the-door price" in mind when walking into the dealer; and buyers should be prepared to walk away if price is not right. If the dealer calls you, then you'll know you can get the car at the price you want.

I should have done better when I was dealing with my Nissan sales rep. I might able to get few hundred bucks cheaper. But it was in late June, there were more cash rebates; plus I knew the cash for clunkers program would begin in July and dealer for sure will not offer much discount off MSRP.
    Alright, I checked and the date is 10/08.

We liked the gray color too... but preferred silver just a little bit. Reflects heat better, and shows less dirt.

Regarding the other posters questions... the "dealer price" is really just a bogus number. I'd take time to figure out what you feel comfortable to pay "Out the door" and let the dealer figure out the other numbers. I'd start with the invoice price, reduce it by any rebates/incentives, add something for fees, and subtract something based on the amount of dealer inventory and general economic situation. Then subtract a bit more to "low-ball" and hesitatingly agree to their higher offer (which then matches what you are comfy paying). Remember there are other ways they make money too (holdback, financing, trade-ins etc).

Just keep in mind too that you can often get a slightly used car for a much, much better price. Right now, unless you can use the CFC program, I wouldn't buy a new car. I know it sounds bad when you are looking at buying a new car, but you can get a almost-new, better car for half the price of a new Versa. Just something to think about.
    fflintstone1,

Thanks for posting info. I've read somewhere online that Nissan upgraded the CVT engine beginning in April 09 to make it more fuel efficient. So I was wondering if anyone bought a Versa (particularly hatchback SL) recently that has a manufacture date later than 4/09.

Also, my Versa is the first I ever bought. What was the miles on the new car when you drive it off the dealership. I remember it already had about 25 miles on it. Is this about average?
    Hi Flippy Hopkins,

hopefully I am not too late to give you my opinion. Back in June, I was seriously considering the S model Versa with all options you mentioned, plus ABS. With the cash rebate back then ($2000), I would be able to buy a brand new one for about $14500 - $14800 OTD. I live in SF bay area and sale tax is high in CA.

If you have a clunker to trade in, you certainly should take advantage of it. Otherwise I'd wait for 2010 model. I think attractive cash rebate will come back when auto sales plunge when CFC program is gone.
    I've read somewhere online that Nissan upgraded the CVT engine beginning in April 09 to make it more fuel efficient. So I was wondering if anyone bought a Versa (particularly hatchback SL) recently that has a manufacture date later than 4/09.

That could explain some of the mpg swings that we are seeing. I am not too disappointed with my 30 mpg. I don't think the Versa HB is in the same size class as the Yaris or Fit. I think it is a bit larger, and quite a bit taller. Almost seems like they took the Quest and shrunk it a bit.

Also, my Versa is the first I ever bought. What was the miles on the new car when you drive it off the dealership. I remember it already had about 25 miles on it. Is this about average?

It had 140 miles on it, the dude from the dealership drove it down from San Fran.
    Versa HB has the more horsepower than Yaris and Fit. It is about the same size as Toyota matrix, just shorter. I always feel I haven't done enough research on my very first car. I am glad I found this web site to share information and experience.
  • gtrcivicsigtrcivicsi Member Posts: 2
    Saturday picked up this for my wife. Browns Nissan, Sterling, VA

Saphire Blue hatchback 1.8S Auto tranny w/ Options on the car were:

Power package
    Cruise Control
    Floor mats/trunk mat
    Aluminum kick plate
    Splash Guards

Got the $1250 and $1250 dealer matching, Plus $4500 for CFC. Total of $7k discount off price of the car. Asked for $10k Out the door, came back with $11k.

Freight $720
    processing Fee $349
    Tags/title $90
    tax $490

Compared to TMV what others are paying $14,275 vs what we paid $14,671.
  • ruchitruchit Member Posts: 7
    I am Planning to use that Bonus program which ends on 7th...

Suggest me...

The price for Hatchback S with the following option is given to me like $13526 plus taxes, dealer fees and registration etc... Which totals around $14,480.

Options

ABS - Which I think should not have been optional
    Cruise - a must for me..
    Floor Mats
    Power Package
    Rear Spoiler
    Flash guards.

Do u think I should go ahead??? Or do u have any other dealer who can give a better rate in Eastern side? I am in Virginia but travelling for 5 hours to buy this car...

Help me...
  • zd323zd323 Member Posts: 2
    I am wondering if the following is a good deal...

I am considering a 2007 Nissan Versa SL Sedan in magnetic gray with 27k miles. It has ABS Package and Convenience Package (keyless entry, bluetooth, etc.).

I am being offered $11,000 OTD price (I live in MD, so that's including 6% sales tax, $217 tags, and $100 processing fee).

The dealership told me what they're offering me is the Versa SL at the Versa base price. Is this correct?

What do you guys think?
    Thanks!
    zd323
  • zd323zd323 Member Posts: 2
    Update: just found out this car was involved in a major accident last year through Carfax report. It says the car was disabled, the whole right side of the car had to be replaced. So I guess it wasn't really a good deal then.

zd323
  • rock26rock26 Member Posts: 1
    Got Hatchback S with the following options for 14,700 OTD (3% state tax)

ABS ; Cruise; Floor Mats ; Power Package ; Rear Spoiler ; Flash guards

Dealer also offered Door Trims, Window Tint, Nitrogen gas.
  • rsamrsam Member Posts: 2
    Hi ruchit,

Did you buy the Sentra, and how much did you pay for it. Can you let me know the dealer, as am also in the east coast and considering a sentra. Is this a 1.8 sl as the options you mentioned like spoiler etc are on the 1.8 sl, what was the msrp of the vehicle u bought. The current reabtes available are 1250+500 bonus, which the dealer is offering me on the msrp.The bonus ends on 18th Oct. Appreciate ur help.
    Thanks,
    Rsam
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,953
    This is a Versa Forum, not a Sentra one.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• rsamrsam Member Posts: 2
    Sorry about the typo, I was intending to buy Versa only.
    I got the below quote excluding tax, tags ...
    "2009 Versa 1.8S HB is $14,775 this includes the $1250 from Nissan as well as the $500 rebate for the tent event. The tent event rebate ends on October 18. The sticker price I'm using is $16,525". How much further can I negotiage/ what should be the price, I can expect him to come to. Any ideas as I intend to buy before the $500 bonus ends.

Sam.
  • cranberriesfancranberriesfan Member Posts: 4
    i also went to look at the nissan versa 1.8 S HB yesterday, with powerpackage (including cruise control and power windows, etc.) i was offered $14,900 OTD (the offer included the $1250 rebate but excluded the $500 rebate, as i was not sure if i wanted to purchase by the end of this week).
    taxes are 6% here.
    so, i guess if i went to purchase today, it would be $14,400 OTD

p.s. this was for an 09. i believe the 2010 versas only have the $500 rebate offer on them this week.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,592
    In CA over new years. Options were splash guards, mats, and power plus package.

$13472 + ttl. Also got Nissan 1.9% promo interest rate. Price included a $500 rebate to finance with Nissan. MSRP was $16065, Edmunds lists invoice for same equipment at $15381, and TMV at $15798. I'm happy with this deal.

Happy 2010 ;)

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd