Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Liberty CRD Diesel Real World MPG

Comments

• ucanfarmucanfarm Member Posts: 33
    Notice most of my stations here in Alabama have the low sulfer 500ppm. a Couple of them have the ultra low sulfer 15 ppm posted on the gas pumps. On your trip did you get to run the low sulfer or able to compare the two?
  • vacrdvacrd Member Posts: 4
    Had one tank of each. Didn't notice any difference.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    vacrd: Have your PCM re-flashed and you should be in 5th OD at 52 mpf. This was what happened to our CRD.

Farout
  • dirtmoverdirtmover Member Posts: 14
    farout, what is your rpm in 5th at this speed?
  • caribou1caribou1 Member Posts: 1,354
    farout, on mine this corresponds to 4th gear, ~1800 rpm and converter locked. To be in 5th gear at 52 mph the engine would be at 1600 rpm. It takes about 5 long seconds driving at a steady 50 mph for the converter to lock in 4th. I then have to let go the gas pedal if I need a fast acceleration otherwise it behaves like a manual shifter :cry:
  • vacrdvacrd Member Posts: 4
    Farout

With the re-flash - when do you shift into 4th ?

and did you notice better MPG?

vacrd
    dirtmover: My rpm's are 1600 at about 52 or 53 mph.

Farout
    bmartinpe: I have the Forteras on the 06 3.7 Liberty and the Wrangler Silent Armor on the 05 CRD Liberty. Both provide a good quiet ride. The Forteras are not as aggressive but seem to provide pretty good traction in snow. Right now we have 12", so I can say this being positive. I like the Silent Armor Wrangler tires better.

Farout
    I am not sure I really have only been concerned about 5th. I will try to notice and get back to you.

Farout
  • megano1megano1 Member Posts: 4
    Before my 2006 Jeep Diesel went in for the Body Conrol Module Recall, my Jeep was making 42 mpg. After the recall, it dropped down to 19 city and 17 highway. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or not. My window sticker says it should make 22 city and 26 hwy but has been known to make high 30's. For the fact that I was making 42 before this, it sounds fishy to me.
    Thank You,
    Megano1
  • bmartinpebmartinpe Member Posts: 51
    "Before my 2006 Jeep Diesel went in for the Body Conrol Module Recall, my Jeep was making 42 mpg."

Do you mean to say that you could drive 800 miles between fuel tank fill ups? Cool!
    I recently took the Liberty from Nashville, TN, to Elyria, OH, a round trip of about 1000 miles. North bound fuel economy was about 25 MPG on LSD (that's low sulfur diesel, not the hallucinogen). South bound fuel usage was about 23 MPG on ULSD which was priced higher than the LSD. On the way north I checked the odometer against the interstate mile markers, and I found that my odometer gains one tenth mile about every 60 actual miles on the road. In others words, to travel 60 miles my odometer shows 60.1 miles, which is nearly two tenths of one per cent off, not really enough to worry about.

I went through my 25000 oil change on schedule B without the yellow light coming on, a new milestone since this is the sixth EGR valve the Liberty has had. The last EGR change out included a new throttle plate.

I made the 1000 trip on new Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires, and I noted no appreciable difference in fuel economy. Gosh darn, it didn't snow in the Cleveland area, and I wanted to try these tires out. By the way that was the weekend St. Louis was shut down for snow.
    I think you need to go to the dealer who did the recall and demand they make it as it was! I too get outstanding fuel mileage! If I drive conservative and using PS Cetane booster I get consistantle 48 in town and 51 on the open road. What is a little hard is sitting in the seats so long. But I was able to cross the United States moth 3 and 1/3 tanks of fuel. So do not let others tell you that it can't be done!
    Then, I wake up from my dreaming and I face the real world of 22 to 26 mpg! There is no way on this green earth you got 42 mpg!!!! Maybe someone should show you how th figuar MPG!!! Can't fool us here!!!!!

Farout
  • siberiasiberia Member Posts: 520
    A couple of weeks ago I logged an all time low for highway mileage. When we left NE the temperature was 12F and when we arrived Lake Oz the temp was -2F just away from the lake. MPG for the 360 mile trip into a light head wind was 23.4. On the way home with the temperature at 50F and a light tail wind MPG was 28.7 - ULSD both trips - calculated and GPS adjusted. I have not seen 30 MPG since my EGR valve was replaced with the James Bond smoke-screen model.
    I can't even get 19 mpg since my BCM recall. I would be happy to reach 23 if I could. Why did they have to replace your EGR valve? Was it a recall? I can't believe all the recalls they've had on this vehicle, it's rediculous. :(
    Look, that's very rude. I DID TOO get 42 mpg on hwy. That's fine if you don't believe it but it's true. AND I DO know how to figure fuel mileage. I even have a dealer who witnessed my fuel mileage so maybe you should just shut your mouth before you know what your talking about!
    magano1: someone is pulling a joke on you! They may have put fuel in your tank to mess over you. This was done in the early days of VW's. Adding fuel to make them believe they were getting unbelievable fuel mileage.
    There is NO WAY your 2.8 L CRD weighing 4,300 lbs did 42 MPG!!!!!! Perhaps you just don't understand that you can not archive 42 mpg any more that the 3.7 Liberty can get 32mpg, as one person so tried to convince a forum here some time ago. If you claim to really have gotten 42 mpg, then you made a record that has NEVER been achieved before! Notify DCX I am sure if what you say is true, they would buy your vehicle, to find what you did to get to an emissions Tier that would meet 2010 standards! In fact I will challenge you to prove your remarkable story! Post the name of the dealer and I will personally call the dealer and if they say you have achieved even 35mpg I will write you a forum apology and ask for your forgiveness!
    SO PUT YOUR DEALERS NAME ON HERE OR BACK AWAY! I for one do not believe you, and perhaps there are others as well!

You have been on this Liberty Diesel for 4 days and come here telling a whale of a tale and expect some of us to believe you? Why don't you just apologize for telling a wooper, and just be like the rest of us. We all wish we got 42 mpg, but it just don't happen in one of these Liberty CRD's! Heck that's like saying a 18 wheeler got 20 mpg, and that too just is not happening either. So either do as you asked me to do or state the dealer! For someone who has been here 4 days you have no business asking anyone here to "shut your mouth" we don't generally treat one another like that. Me thinks you opened your mouth too wide, and put your foot in it!!!!!!!!

Farout
    Why did they have to replace your EGR valve? Was it a recall?

Megano1, the valve stopped moving in the closed position and error codes indicated reduced EGR flow. It was replaced under warrantee like so many others on the forum. I didn't do a very good job of getting detailed information for the forum as to why it failed. It was a quick in and out repair.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's turn the volume down a bit! Posturing and confrontation will scare off others who may want to join in the discussion.

Just keep in mind that if something sounds too good to be true then it probably isn't, but we don't have to shout about it! :)

tidester, host
    It's funny that you can even compare a semi to a little jeep liberty. As far as fuel mileage goes. A jeep liberty that ways 4,300 pounds and gets 19 mpg at best. My husband drives a semi with a 550 cat motor pulling 80,000 gvw and makes a consistent 5.1 mpg. QUIZ::: Figure out the weight to fuel mileage ratio on that one?????

I'm not wanting to argue about my fuel mileage, my concern is why can't I even achieve the mileage that my window sticker says?
    P.S. Get your calculater out.
    Where is the name of the dealer? I thought as much.
    You may find MPG Ratings May Drop Under EPA Proposal informative.

tidester, host
    Winterized diesel fuel adds a 10% penalty right now. It's difficult to compare mileage figures with temperatures at the beginning. This is my 3rd winter and figures are pretty bad for the 3rd time :sick:
    The problem is not the Jeep, it's the BTU contents of the fuel we have to buy.
    tidester: I think you have known me for a good enough length of time, to see that I try to give everyone the benifit of the doubt. But the outrageous wooper of a huge exragerated statement of 42 mpg is way out of bounds. I have driven in every way you can think of the get the best consiveable fuel mileage, and so far once I got 28 mpg and that might have been an error, maybe an air bubble stopped it from filling. But we all know the fuel mileage is just one part of economy.
    I really thank youand the other HOST's for changing the forum back for us stubborn hard heads. Beside that I am from Missouri and to some that is a handicap.

TO ONE AND ALL MERRY CHRISTMAS!
    42 mpg is way out of bounds

Yes, I think most would agree. My only issue is that the tone should be civil and nonconfrontational.

tidester, host
  • biojeepbiojeep Member Posts: 2
    Not to add fuel to the fire, so to speak, but 42 mpg might be possible, but we'd have to know how the Jeep is set up and how it is driven.

We have more than 20,000 miles on our 2005 Liberty. I drive 70-75 mph on interstates. We've made several long trips lately -- two adults with luggage -- and tend to stay in the 28-29 mpg range. The longer the trip, the better the mileage. Conversely, running around town drops us into the 18 mpg range. In between is, well, in between.

The best mileage we've seen was 32 over a 700-mile stretch of I-5 ... and that was on B99 Biodiesel, which is supposed to cost a roughly 5% mileage loss. I regularly run B99 and the Jeep loves it.

Temperatures drop into the low 20's where we live, but still the Jeep starts right up. Perhaps the secret is that we're not running homemade crap filled with chunks of yesterday's greasy diner leavings.

We buy from Seattle BioDiesel, a reputable manufacturer. Based on our experience, they make good stuff. I've taken to hauling 5-gallon plastic containers on trips, so I have some BioD to mix in with the Dino. Even using the cheap Wally Mart gas cans, BioD does stink. And no, it's not dangerous, as hauling gasoline would be. After all, it's mostly canola oil.

I'm a sports car guy, not a fuel mileage nut, so didn't even think to pump up our tires a bit until reading this forum today. We're still running the 31-32 psi that the dealer puts in when we drop over there.

Pumping up the tires and sticking to a 50-55 mph speed may well put the Liberty into a much higher fuel mileage range. Maybe we ought to ask more questions before we jump on a fellow Jeepster about his mileage claims.
    biojeep: You make some great points. Our CRD does not shift into 5th until 53-54 and lock up 54-59 depending on how much foot is on the peddle. With bi-20 our CRD ran rough. On b-5 it's great.

Farout
  • biojeepbiojeep Member Posts: 2
    If your CRD ran rough on BioD it's most likely the quality of the fuel. Not all biodiesel is created equal ... and that's the problem. Until what is available is of uniformly high quality, we will get mixed results.

The only way you can tell my Jeep runs on B99 are:
    1. Exhaust smells different, though not like any french fries you'd want to eat (vague vegetable oil smell);
    2. The engine is quieter because BioD has better lubricity than dino; and
    3. There's no exhaust cloud when you accelerate.
    biojeep: The quality and consistency are very serious issues and because of these problems DCX has said if they can prove you have more than b-5 your warranty is void. DCX has taken a rather tuff stand, how they can tell is a big question I don't have any idea. You are right that it could very well be I got some bad fuel or the bad bio part. I just know I won't do it again.
    I do not have an exhaust cloud when we accelerate, and starting on these cold below 15 F with no cloud either, just a typical heat cloud which is very little.

farout
    "We're still running the 31-32 psi that the dealer puts in when we drop over there. "

When I picked up my new Liberty from the dealer, the tires had about 15-20 psi.

Remember Ronald Regan who, when dealing with the Soviets, said that we should trust them to do what they say they will do, but we will verify that they have done it.

In that same vein, I would check the torque of the lug nuts on the wheels also.
  • littlesmokeylittlesmokey Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just had the above recall done and am wondering if anyone knows just how much torque they took away when they reprogrammed the ECM. I tow a trailer that is 4500# and don't want to feel like I'm driving a Chevette. I can't tow the trailer now as it is snowed in.

Thanks.
    littlesmoky: The difference in torque is noticeable. I did not tow a trailer, but on a uphill freeway I take to go the get up and go is evident. If I notice it, I would think you will too. However the fuel mileage seems somewhat improved by perhaps 2 mpg.
    I was really stunned as around town I did not think there was any difference. I am not going to be amazed if DCX has to re-flash these computers because I think there will be sore complaints for sure.

Farout
  • stubakstubak Member Posts: 2
    I am seriously considering a 2006 Liberty CRD to replace my 02 Subaru Outback which has near 80K on the odometer and has never had to go in the shop for anything other than brake pads.
    I read your forum to discover the CRD has EGR issues and now thanks to the Feds, has been discontinued. The vehicle I am considering has 15 K on the odometer.

Would it be a hopeless dream to expect 32 MPG on the hiway if driven reasonably? (My Subaru does that) What about parts availability and overall reliability/durability of this vehicle.

I am well familiar with diesels having owned several including a Golf TDI which regularly got me 52 MPG.

How would you rate the tranny and it's life expectancy? I hate automatics but thats all I can find in a CRD.

Hope to hear from you soon. stubak911@aol.com
    When my girlfriend and I drive, it is not what we drive but who gets to drive the CRD. It sits up at a nice level, drives very good and tows like a dream. A 4x4 compared to a Golf is quite a change. The Jeep won't be as comfortable as a car on long trips. It is slower, eats up more diesel, and will have a somewhat larger maintenance cost(oil, gearbox lubes, filters, etc). By reading some of the other posts the EGR problem can be alleviated by a few easy steps for example using ultra low sulfer and re venting or filtering the CCV hose. Suggest to ask about an extended warranty, keeps me sleeping good at night. Mine gets close to 22 mpg using the fill up method. I have used it to tow, and get close to 19 mpg. I am Ecstatic with what I get compared to what I had before. More hiway miles and I would expect a higher MPG. The Transmission is a very nice addition to the CRD as keeps the RPM's low, and makes the long trips fun with cruise control. All the CRD'ers either love or hate the Jeep. Take it for a good spin and if you don't want to let it go then consider it. You won't hear about all the good ones out on the Road that people drive on the computer.
    Ucanfarm,
    Comfort of a long trip cannot be predicted. I recently drove 800 miles in one day. It was raining heavily in the morning, heavy traffic in the Paris area, some slippery roads and a fairly long stretch at 80 mph with cruise control. Our CRD beats most sedans because of it's passenger room and regularity of the engine. A steady 2600 rpm and good company erases fatigue when driving this jewel.
    Would it be a hopeless dream to expect 32 MPG on the hiway if driven reasonably?

Hi Stubak,

This is what I have from 19 months of data:

Average summer mileage is 24.9 mpg
    Average winter mileage is 23.5 mpg
    Average highway driving (23% of tot over 27 mpg) is 29.5 mpg
    Average village driving (23% of tot under 22 mpg) is 20.4 mpg
    Average Mixed driving (54% between 22 and 27 mpg) is 24.2 mpg
    Overall average is 24.3
    Highest is 32.8 mpg
    Lowest is 17.9 mpg
    Highway driving is mostly 65 mph on cruise with some 55 mph

It is difficult to break out all highway from all village, but I think this does a pretty good job. I drive very easy so it looks like it would it be a hopeless dream to expect a consistent 32 mpg on the highway. You will get that once in a while, but not all the time. I have a friend who put 265,000 miles on an 80-something Subaru (spelled backwards U-R-A-Bus, old joke that applied to that car but not yours) with very few problems. Rust finally got it. Something to think about before you dump your Subaru.
    siberia: Your chart morrors pretty much like we have done. The very best we have gotten is 28.6. I am sure we might of gotten more but there are times when I get to thinking about something else and the diesel flows out on the ground.....dumb. Or perhaps as you read I put Karosine in it, yes I did and .....no one to blame but me! The lowest we have got is 19.4 pulling a 6' x 10' duel axel boxed in trailer. The power was just fine. I don't drive with a trailer but only when our daughter and her hubby and 3 kidos move. That has been once, so far.

farout
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Member Posts: 253
    Just returned from a 2800 mile round trip to Oklahoma from PA. Averaged 70 MPH. All highway I-76 (55 to 65 MPH) to I-70 (55 to 70 MPH) to I-55 (55 to 70 MPH) to I-44 (55 to 75 MPH). Used 95.7 gallons over 2826 miles which came out to 29.529 miles per gallon. Got my best going 65 (450 miles using 14.2 gallons) 31.69 MPGs. Worst was in 4WD through light snow about 50 mph (250 miles/10.7 gallons) 23.365 MPG. Used no fuel additives. Tire pressure at 35 PSI. New Air filter. Mixed fuel usage of LSD and ULSD. Mostly ULSD. Ran great. It Ran surprisingly quiet between 70 to 75 MPH.
  • notorquenotorque Member Posts: 3
    I live in the country so the majority of my driving is on back roads. I also do some highway driving. I have averaged 24 MPG until they replaced my torque converter and flashed my computer. Not only did it drop me to 21.4 MPG, it KILLED my torque. It's like driving a care now---NOT HAPPY :sick: :mad:
    notorque: I encourage you to call Customer Care at 800-992-1997. By having them make a note on everything you have done for recall or warranty, you build your case, which just might need, you never know. Our CRD lacks get up and go too after the F37 was done. I was told it takes 20% of the torque. Hope this helps.

Farout
  • stubakstubak Member Posts: 2
    Well I did it! A black CRD sits in my drive way. Took it on a long trip to Manchester CT. Trip computer says I was getting 28.4 MPG and I was never under 65.

Time to accessorize. First up....the tires seem a little wimpy. they almost don't seem big enough. What do you recommend? Currently BB has 225x75x16. Something a bit wider that won't kill fuel economy and will do well all year round but especially good in snow.
    My advice...Make sure you change the differentials every 12,000 miles, this is a requirement for the CRD!!!!! If you did not buy an extended warranty get one asap. This is a VERY EXPENSIVE vehicle to maintain. There have been MANY buy backs by DCX. Fuel mileage is good but there are many costs to keep this CRD up and if you can't do some of the work yourself...... Big issue is staying with Schedule B in the owners manual exactly as it says or your warranty means squat. I have 29,000 miles on our "Green Beast" and its been in the shop 23 times. I am a patient man but DCX asked me to go threw a buy back, and we are not sure what to do. Good luck, but I would pray instead.

Farout
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Member Posts: 253
    Your being pushed. There has to be proof of neglect with respect to the differential failure to void the warranty. A dealer will say and do whatever to get your money. Every 30,000 miles is good enough. Most of your Class 8 heavy duty equipment only require changing of the diff fluids every 30,000 miles. You do it once at 12,000 to check ware and fluid condition then every 30,000 to 60,000 miles depending on personal use. The dealer is out to make as "much" money as possible. Ask them to put what they say in writing and watch how cautious they become.
  • gws1gws1 Member Posts: 2
    We are shopping for a used CRD. What Gear Ratio/Tire size options have the highest MPG in the real world. Also, based on recalls would we best off to look for a 2006 versus a 2005? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Most car salespeople have offered little if any information. (they seem to care less about meeting our request for information and just want to make a high pressure sale with repeated phone calls)
    One difference between the 2006 and the 2005 is the Manufactures warrantee. The 2005 got about three times as much of a warrantee from the factory. I would recommend a good carfax report to see if it was a lemon buyback. Drive the car more than a few miles. Car dealers are like dogs they will shake your hand and pee on your foot at the same time. Please be cautious.
    gws1: Unless you can get a CRD for no more than Kelly Blue Book trade in value, don't get one! The bottom value has sunk badly. These diesels are not common, DCX made 11,000 of these and finding a Tec. that really knows what they are doing is quite a rare find. We have an 05 Sport with 29,900 miles on it. There has been 23 trips to the dealer, and 33 items have been repaired. DCX is in the middle of a buy back from us. We have no idea what we will be offered.
    Are you prepared for $90. oil changes, $120. fuel filter changes, $280. differentials changes every 12,000 miles. This CRD is not a cheap vehicle to keep repaired by schedule B, and NO one can ever qualify for schedule A. As time goes on after the warranty parts are high and labor is a big item. Read the Liberty Diesel forum and go back a year or so. There are a good number of past CRD owners that have gone with the Lemon Law or just traded them off at a huge loss.
    I traded a 2005 Liberty Limited in on this CRD Sport, I was so stupid to think the better fuel mileage would be a good trade off. Like I said it was a dumb idea, and the repairs and cost of up keep has been way out of line. The warranty repair has been out of reason even DCX agrees with this. Caution is the word I give you. Ask the service manager to go over what are the service requirements on this vehicle.... before you sign any papers! I hope this helps, and you go into this with your eyes wide open.

Farout
  • dfdtruckiedfdtruckie Member Posts: 1
    Thank you so very much for your honesty. I was going to look at one today(05'). I'll keep looking at other vehicles. By the way approximatley how much has the vehicle cost you? Thanks again. :)
  • asturcon1asturcon1 Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a used Liberty Diesel with 13,000 I hope I am wrong with my calculations but it is giving 12 mpg. I don't go over speed limit and I amd driving it on 2x4. Any idea what can be wrong? I was under the impression that it should give no less than 20 mpg I think 12mpg is unacceptable. Please help!!
  • asturcon1asturcon1 Member Posts: 5
    Mine is a 2006 with 13,000 the price was $19,000 + tax but it is giving me 12 mpg I can't believe it. Please any one knows what can be wrong? I am used to 26mpg it is killing me!! Please??
    asturcon1: There are several reasons that could possible be a problem. Did you get a vehicle history of service with it, or before you bought it? These CRD's have had many recalls 2 major and several reflash programs. The major recalls were the front ball joints, and the F-37 recall where the torque converters were replaced and the PCM and the ECM were reprogramed to detune the engine.
    Our CRD has 30,200 miles and is an 05 June 14 build date. You can call and Dodge, Chrysler or Jeep dealer and they can answer all these questions. You might have a EGR valve out, or a turbo. You should have had the 2 differentials fluid changed and a new oil change with Mobil 1 0-40w or 5-40w in the vehicle. I might even suggest that the fuel/water filter should be something that might have been changed. Who had the CRD before you and why did they trade it? We get from 18 to 24.6 mpg just depending. Your CRD should shift into 5th lock up at 55mph. If not there is one reason for not real good fuel mileage. Do NOT use Bio Fuel more than B-5, as it waxes up the engine, and it will void the warranty.
    Now the bad news. Our CRD has 30,000 and has been in the shop 25 times in 16 months. Good dealer service is very hard to find. If you did not get an extended warranty DO IT ASAP! These CRD's do have more than normal repair histories. Only 11,000 of these CRD's were made, 8,600 in 05 the rest in 06. Every time you go in for ANY problem call the Customer Care line at 800 992 1997. They will keep a record of your problems is you have any. Should you get a problem vehicle it could mean a way to resolve any problems later. Chrysler is in the process of buying our CRD now and should be complete in two weeks, we hope. We liked the CRD Liberty but they just could not fix some problems that we got worn out with.
    You should move over to the Diesel Liberty forum, that's where most of the CRD owners post. Good luck, and I hope you got a good one. Oil changes are about $90. and fuel/water filters are $ 150. if you can do some of the work yourself it will save you $.

Farout