Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Climate Control

12345679»

Comments

• bama03cumminbama03cummin Member Posts: 1
    I have 2003 Dodge Ram 2500. The A/C blower will not turn on it has a new blower, and everthing. It was working and cold now it wont even blow any air. Ive checked all the fuses and everything.help
  • tmrealestatetmrealestate Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    Hello everyone, I was hoping someone would know how I can fix my ac. I have a 2006 Ram 3500 Mega Cab, the AC has never blown very hard since the day I bought the truck new at Carson City Dodge, this past week I had the AC totally stop, I should say the fan stopped. When I turn on the fan/AC controllers nothing comes on and no air comes out. The lights on the ac button when pushed come on, the recirculate button light comes on, and the defrost light comes on, but no noise, no air, no blowing, nothing.

I really can't afford to go to the dealer to fix this, I still have big payments on the truck and I have a 3 year old daughter so the 100+ weather is a problem. If anyone has had this problem and knows what it is please let me know.

I thank you all in advance, I appreciate those who can help.
  • rammitt3rammitt3 Member Posts: 1
    We have an 08 that just did the same thing,put it on the computer and nothing comes up that anything is wrong.Talked to a couple guys at work and they had the same problem with their Ram's.Suck's because it is hotter than he#$ here also and now we will have to take it to a dealer to see what is wrong.If I find out I will let you know,hoping it's not the compressor.
  • 97dodge4x4guy97dodge4x4guy Member Posts: 1
    I was having problems with the vents changing to defrost mode when i accelerated and air would stop blowing until i let off the gas. well i decided to try to disable the vent system all-together. under the steering wheel section of the dash i located a silver vacuum canister (size of a small inline fuel filter) with a flat "rod style setup connected to a rotating valve (almost like a throttle body would open close). the vacuum cannister pushes the rod up to switch from dash to defrost ..I simply removed the 2 screws-moved the silver vacuum device from its mounted place and reinserted screws (to make sure i dont misplace them for later use).got a small peice of wire and held the valve to the rotated down position (to the dashboard vent position).connected the wire to the top valve peice and then to one of the screws i had reinserted.then doin your basic tie wire move tightened it so it wont have slack.basicly holding it in the open position. now when it tries to change by itself the vacuum cannister peice just moves (because its not mounted) up or down. long quick fix story short my air no longer changes to defrost and cuts off when im driving. obviously if u live ina place where you will need a defroster you will have to out it back when that time comes, but until then CHILL out and enjoy the REFRESHING cool air. btw this disables the control to switch to any other position. its a dash only air condition fix.

Hope this helps. enjoy if it does. post if u have the real fix lol. Robert A.
  • jocko140jocko140 Member Posts: 9
    I also have the same type of problem and was wondering if you have had a solution to your problem. When i'm sitting there without the truck in motion it will start to blow warm air but on the interstate the cold comes back.
  • michaels_dadmichaels_dad Member Posts: 8
    jocko - pretty safe bet your cooling fan on your AC radiator isn't working. When you're moving, air moves through the radiator and makes the fan irrelevant. When you're stopped, the fan should be turning to keep air moving.
    My airconditioning just started acting up. While the truck is not in motion it will blow warm air but once the truck starts moving it seems to cool off and work correctly
    what would be the best way to check this? should the fan be working at all times or only when the aircondition is turned on
    edited August 2011
    tmrealestate:

Check to see if you have voltage to the fan when the AC is turned on. If so, bad fan. If not, could be a bad relay (to the left of the fan under the passenger dash). See if you have voltage TO the relay. If not, you either have a bad switch or, more likely, a bad ignition module. This happened to me...a $30.00 part, and a couple hours labor to replace. Have you had any other problems with any dash components working intermittantly? That's what clued me in to the ignition module.
    Start it up, turn on the AC to cold, and let it idle. If the AC cooling fan (under the hood to the right when facing the truck) isn't spinning, then that's likely your problem. I think it was in the neighborhood of $100.00 plus labor.
    I know I already have a problem with the switch that attaches to the key on the colume. Is this what your referring to?
    Yep. Not the lock cylinder itself, but the switch it connects to. It's a flat odd shaped black box, if I recall about an inch thick and a few inches across. If you're already having issues with that, I'll bet that's your problem.
    Sorry, getting you mixed up with the guy whose interior fan won't blow. Your problem is almost surely the AC cooler fan under the hood. Mine wen't slowly...it started running slower and slower until finally it didn't run at all.
    I'll have to check it for 12 volts while the a/c is running I assume. Should this be running anytime the a/c is turned on?
    I,ve got it all taken care off. replaced the motor today for $85.00 and a little bit of my time about a hour. The manuals says you have to remove the condenser but i was able to loosen it from the fan shroad and gentley work behind it with out disconnecting the lines. just be careful not to damage the slip ring that secures the fan to the shaft and you should be able to reuse the ring. I'm sure I saved about $150 if i had taken it to the dealer. Thank you Michaels dad
  • bigpappy405bigpappy405 Member Posts: 1
    FYI. If your ac blows warm when idling and cold when in motion, check your electric fan on the a/c heat exchanger under the hood next to the radiator. If its not moving with the a/c on, turn the a/c off, remove the wiring harness to the fan motor, turn the a/c on with the truck running and check for voltage (12- 14 volts d/c). If you have voltage then your fan motor has probly gone bad. You can also use your meter to check continuety of the motor if you have a ohm setting . You should see continuety and if not the motor is bad and needs to be replaced. Hope this helps and good luck.
  • eneuberteneubert Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm having the exact same problem. If you wouldn't mind, where exactly do I look for the small .1 dia hose? Thanks.
  • thunderroad4thunderroad4 Member Posts: 3
    Good for you I am not sure I will ever purchased another Chrysler product after this 2011 Ram. It has been issues from the purchase til now three months later and RAM's Case Managers stink they are all full of it as they all will tell you what they can't do for you and does not seem to have any power to make anything happen no matter if it's their problem or not. Just as an example there was an error on the window sticker for my new Ram and it was supposed to be a $750.00 "Customer Preferred" discount for the Big Horn package I believe but it was listed under the options and instead of it being deducted it was added to the price so the truck was actually $1,500.00 more then what it should had been and the dealership was demanding it was Chrysler and of course Chrysler was saying it was in the hands of the dealership but it took several calls back and forth and about 3 to 4 weeks later the General Manager of the Dealership finally came to a realization the fact that I was not giving up and so he contacted his Chrysler representative and they finally agreed there was a mistake and paid the difference but the invoice price which came to about $1,300.00 all said and done. My wife and I have purchased quite a few new Chrysler products but never have been so disgusted with Chrysler until now. So now we will be looking to another manufacturer next time.... oh well sorry about their luck!!!
  • jfun1jfun1 Member Posts: 2
    My A/C Works But It Isnt Blowing As Hard As I Should When I Have The Controls To Full Blast It Gets Cold But Doesnt Blow Can Somebody Help A Brotha Out Im In Texas Cooking Lol Please And Thanks
  • jfun1jfun1 Member Posts: 2
  • buckeyepaul68buckeyepaul68 Member Posts: 2
    I have 2003 Ram with low AC pressure. After reading some forums I found that the recycling door was broken and laying there. It took me only a few minutes to remove and now I have normal air pressure. Has anyone replaced one of these doors either new or fixing the old one. I have all the pieces to the old one.
  • buckeyepaul68buckeyepaul68 Member Posts: 2
    Or I guess its called the blending door?? Anyway, above the fan behind the glove box.
  • winger1955winger1955 Member Posts: 3
    I replaced the blend door on my 2004 with the HeatTreater door and it worked great. There are even youtube videos for assistance.
  • dsolyomdsolyom Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 2007 2500 Megacab Diesel (not the Blue Tec). Had my vehicle in long-term parking at George Bush International (Houston) for a week while on business. When I started the vehicle up I had no AC whatsoever. Tried all sorts of different settings (fan speeds, recirculate or not, etc.) for about 20 minutes on the drive home when I finally tried hitting the defrost button and magically cold air started coming out. For the rest of the trip home I was able to get cold air on whatever normal settings I chose (i.e. with the defrost button off)

Unfortunately, that was the last time I've had any conditioned air. It does not appear to be a temperature control sensor type of thing as the air coming out of the vents is consistent with the temperature outside and/or how warm the engine block is.

One other note, it does seem that the switches from the floor vents to the dash vents to the defrost vents by the windshield are a bit sluggish. During this time window, the response of the external temperature reading has also been very sluggish as if the corresponding electronics are not being properly supported by the alternator/batteries. Is it even remotely feasible that my AC issues could be related to a dying alternator or battery? Vehicle is ~ 4 years old so I'm nearing a time window wear battery failure is becoming more feasible.

Thanks!
  • misterg2misterg2 Member Posts: 1
    The blower fan under the dashboard of my 2003 Ram 2500 was working intermitently, regardless of whether or not it was on fresh air or recirculate. it would always turn on in the morning when the truck was first started. It would occassionally turn on as I was driving and it has recently stopped all together. I'm not sure if its the fan or the switch in the dash? Does anyone have any experience with this issue?
  • moparblue2moparblue2 Member Posts: 86
    The problem is most likley the blower motor. I have 2002 ram 1500 4x4. I have had to replace mine. It would slow down & speed up as it was wearing out. I is easy to check get another one. Unplug wire from old one ( under glove box) Plug wire in new one see if it works. If it doe's three screws the old one out. Put blower cage on new one & reinstall. If it doe's not work. You know to check switch & take the old one back for refund without it being installed. ;)
  • benersonbenerson Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 ram 2500. The problem I am having is the heater is stuck on dash- I cannot switch to defrost or floor heat. Has anyone determined what the problem is? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Hi Bob,
    http://www.heatertreater.net/ This link will point you in the right direction.
    Corkscrew
  • packer1956packer1956 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Having intermittent function of climate controls. Blower is strong, heat and a/c fine. Switch from defrost to panel to floor is intermittent.

Had truck running with the selector on defrost and pushed recirc button and it flashed three times and then the selector worked properly. Got heat back on the floor, mix, defrost, whatever.

Worked fine for a couple of weeks, now not working properly again. Now can get the defrost on fine, panel vents fine, no floor heat

Relay, hidden digital re-set? (used to have these on digital audio equipment)...

Watched the "heater treater" videos and it looks like a nightmare to replace the deflectors behind the glove box to go from defrost to floor. In fact, they tell you probably not worth it for that particular deflector.

The physical deflectors seem to be OK, just something screwy in the controls.

Any possible electronic fix?

Thanks.
  • tripod894tripod894 Member Posts: 1
    misterg2,

You need to check on the dodge website as this is a recall issue that they had. There is no time limit on them fixing it for free. My 2002 Ram 1500 Quad Cab had the same problem. It turns out to be that they undersized the ground wire contact and what happens is the heater fan (or AC) until the unit is used(especially on high) for long periods of time cause the connection to heat up and it loses contact and the blower will quit all together. You need to go to the website I will list below, put in your VIN # and check for all recalls on your exact vehicle. You will be surprised on what will come up. They used to send out the recalls to you in the mail once you bought a vehicle and registered it at the DMV when you licensed, but I didn't get any by mail on mine and had to look them up.

Here is the Link to the site to check for recalls:
    If it doesn't come up as a clickable link, just copy and paste it into your web browser.

http://www.dodge.com/webselfservice/dodge/index.jsp?screenName=recall

SAFETY RECALL TO INSTALL A BLOWER MOTOR WIRING HARNESS
    Dear Dodge Ram 1500 Truck Owner:
    This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle
    Safety Act.
    DaimlerChrysler Corporation has determined that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists
    in some 2002 model year Dodge Ram 1500 Pick-up Trucks.
    The problem is... The blower motor wiring on your Ram Truck (identified on the enclosed
    form) contains an undersized terminal. Localized heating from
    operating the blower on high speed may cause the terminal to relax and
    lose electrical contact. This can cause the blower motor to become
    inoperative. An inoperative blower motor will not defrost the windshield,
    which could obstruct the driver’s vision and result in an accident.
    What DaimlerChrysler
    and your dealer will
    do...
    DaimlerChrysler will repair your truck free of charge (parts and labor).
    To do this, your dealer will install a new blower motor wiring harness. The
    work will take about one hour to complete. However, additional time may
    be necessary depending on how dealer appointments are scheduled and
    processed.
    What you must do to
    ensure your safety...
    ! Simply contact your dealer right away to schedule a service
    appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the part for your vehicle or to order
    it before your appointment.
    ! Bring the enclosed form with you to your dealer. It identifies the
    required service to the dealer.
    If you need help... If you have questions or concerns which the dealer is unable to resolve,
    please contact the DaimlerChrysler Customer Assistance Center at
    1-800-853-1403. A representative will assist you.
  • jajfmfsjajfmfs Member Posts: 1
    My A/C only blows out the bottom of the dash, it also makes a popping sound. The temp and the airflow levels are correct. I appreciate any input.
  • gunslinger1701gunslinger1701 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem, my recirc door has broken off. I am interested in the aftermarket replacement that is easy to install and will give full functionality with metal components that won't break again like the plastic door. Can someone please tell me where to find it and any info on it's installation will be greatly appreciated. Thanks..
  • winger1955winger1955 Member Posts: 3
    The replacement door is made by a company called heatertreater. I replaced my recirt door and it works great. There are some instructional videos on you tube.
  • docdistrotdocdistrot Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 2500 and am having intermitent issues with the blower motor. The blower motor will not work sometimes. If the truck does not start within a few seconds it will cause the blower motor not to work. I can push the A/C button with the fan switch off and it will stay on during the blower motor not working. If I turn fan switch and A/C switch off and let sit for a few minutes then turn it back on all starts to work fine. I have heard about a "black box" near steering column that could cause this. What is the purpose of this box? What do they call this box?
  • mrjon1mrjon1 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    My 1999 Dodge B3500 Van (40,000 miles) has stopped blowing air out of the center vents.
    when set to max a/c ... :(
    It blows out of defrost at idle and can be cold or hot depending on the temp dial setting.
    When moving down the road it switches to the floor vents automatically for a short while before going back to defrost.
    None of the dial positions seem to affect change except when moving it to defrost.
    I have read about many things that can go wrong, but can anyone get me zoned in on one specific area for this specific issue?
    Thanks
  • chuckiejoneschuckiejones Member Posts: 7
    This problem is NOT the same as I had. My problem was related to 12 VDC power not getting to the panel. My problem was fixed by install of a new Ignition switch. The original was failing to close the power circuit to the blower. Your symptoms do not indicate the same problem. I hope this saves you taking that track to fix your problem. I can only give you a hint: Check the motor that controls the baffle deflector that controls where the wind blows. I recall that the plastic breaks on the hinge mechanism and it acts like you describe. I didn't look back to see how you got on my thread. I leave that up to you.
    cheers.
    I just went to the end of the discussion as posted, any idea of how I can start a new thread?
    Thanks
    No air at vents by mrjon1
    Oct 18, 2012 (6:07 pm)
    My 1999 Dodge B3500 Van (40,000 miles) has stopped blowing air out of the center vents.
    when set to max a/c ...
    It blows out of defrost at idle and can be cold or hot depending on the temp dial setting.
    When moving down the road it switches to the floor vents automatically for a short while before going back to defrost.
    None of the dial positions seem to affect change except when moving it to defrost.
    I have read about many things that can go wrong, but can anyone get me zoned in on one specific area for this specific issue?
    Thanks
  • jgardner50jgardner50 Member Posts: 1
    Brand new to this site. How difficult is it to replace the climate control panel on a 2008 Dodge Ram? Does the complete dash need to be removed? Thanks
    2006 dodge ram 2500 annoying vibration bouncing oscillation when at no-pull cruise, 40-44 mph.
    I noticed this when I installed new Michelin LT tires at about $1,300. My tire dealer worked with me on this several attempts and found the carrier bearing rubber mount was broken. Replaced the carrier bearing with same problem. This is a fine tire dealer who had all all the high tech equipment and knowledge for using it for checking run-out, balance, wheel roundness, etc. Moved the tires wheel-to-wheel and position-to-position on the truck. Same problem.
    Last possibility: Took drive shaft to special shop and found it to be almost perfect. Shop out of ideas agreed to replace Michelin with equivalent Bridgestone LT tires. Guess what? Same problem with carefully balanced Bridgestones.
  • jimbo1096jimbo1096 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2002 Ram 1500 with the 4.7 V8. The previous owner was the original purchaser and did disclose the a/c had not worked in several years, he just drove with the windows down in teh summer. On checking, I found the condenser fan shorted, replaced that. The a/c cab fan won't come on unless turned on high, and I can't get any vents to work except defrost and floor. Is this most likely the climate control module or something else? I pulled the unit out of the dash and disassembled and cleaned the contacts, but with no change in what works and what doesn't. Any suggestions are appreciated.
  • darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
    The A/C control in the Dodge Ram trucks is controlled by vacum. It sounds like to me you have either a vacum leak or clogged vacum lines going to or from the control switch on top (it's the one with the vacum switches). You will need a vacum meter/guage to diagnose this and a repair manual to give you the proper specifications for testying and diagnosis.

I hope it helps.
  • kboudrekboudre Member Posts: 1
    I see alot of post with AC not blowing cold on passenger side. I have to the reverse. The passenger side AC blows cold while the Drivers side does not. The amount of air flow on both side are the same, so that is not an issue. Could this be the blend door as well?
    Its the damper moving around at random. check the thing for broken linkage
  • joillisjoillis Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2013
    No matter where I turn the vent selector. ac/heat only blows to the floor. No defrost no vents just the floor. While back it would switch between vents to the defrost then to the floor. Then it would only do defrost and the floor, now it stays on the floor. I move the vent selector from ac to defrost and back and I do not hear the blend doors moving as I could before. I was wondering if it could be a vacuum leak as well or could it be something entirely different? Thank you for any input.
  • lespr50lespr50 Member Posts: 1
    Yes this is a safety issue. Blend doors not working properly inpairs your vision in the winter by a not functioning defrost. Any time you have an issue with a vehicle you should reported to the National Safety Board in transportation. If the issue evolves while the vehicle is in movement.