Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Climate Control

KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
We will single out comments and complaints about Dodge Ram climate control here.

kcram - Pickups Host

Comments

• montec24montec24 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I have a 2004 ram 2500. The problem I am having is the heater is stuck on dash- I cannot switch to defrost or floor heat. I bought the heater control which was pretty easy to install and not to expensive figuring this might be it. It wasn't. Now what? As far as I can tell it is not vacum operated. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Dana
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    It sounds like the door is giving you a problem. If you are within warranty or have bought extended coverage, take it to the dealer. Do you park it under a tree, especially a pine tree? I have an 02 ram 1500 and when I set the switch on defrost, half the air comes out on the floor. My local mechanic removed the blower motor and cleaned out the cavity but that didn't help. He thought it may be the door.
  • hdlowrider8hdlowrider8 Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever get a solution to the heater problem. I've got the same issue.
    Thanks.

Steve
  • haggis1haggis1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a bad smell coming from my heater when turn the blower on for cold air - has anyone had the same problem
  • jnealjneal Member Posts: 247
    No, but that may be because this is a Dodge forum and we all drive Dodges........ :P
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You want to ask in our VW GTI discussion.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • montec24montec24 Member Posts: 2
  • silverbullet06silverbullet06 Member Posts: 13
    Update,
    I took my truck to dealer #3 today for the same faulty air conditioning problem (4 times in two months). Yesterday the fan blows but no air comes out of the vents on any selector position.

I demanded a conference call with D.Chrysler warranty department when the truck was checked out. They looked at me like I was crazy, so... I called D.Chrysler and asked to speak to a manager or supv. After 5 minutes on hold they said they were all in meetings and would return my call.... well, it never happened.

Towards the end of the day I got a call from the dealer and they said the Recirc. door came apart!! Guess what? There is a nationwide back order for the part(#24028090)sounds fishy. Can you spell recall? I told the dealer.

I work for a large corporation that is an OEM parts supplier to the major auto manufacturers, so I know how the system works. Auto manufacturers DO NOT want quality problems to go public!! It can start a very expensive recall program.
    Update from July 13 post. Two to three weeks for a part is not acceptable. After another phone call to D. Chrysler on 07/14/06 I was told I was given the wrong FP-number for the part. The part my dealer had on order was not the correct number. The correct part is now on order and due in approx. 07/19/06. When the truck is repaired I will provide another update.

I am use to the run around now!!!!
  • diamonds1diamonds1 Member Posts: 7
    I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 v6 truck, when I turn the A/C on, absolutely nothing happens, any ideas????
  • hpd235hpd235 Member Posts: 1
    My Dodge truck has 30,000 miles on it and when my truck sits for a day or two and I crank it up it sounds like the a/c compressor is coming apart under the hood. It will also sometimes blow hot as soon as I start driving it and then blow cold. Has anyone had any of these problems?
  • sfcpetesfcpete Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ram with the same problem and was told today that the part is not available either for about a month and $760 to repair. I question the same RECALL DEFECT. I bought a extended warranty and paid good money to not have this problem. What caused the part to break to begin with? Maybe a motor that puts to much presure on the cheap plastic part? I got the same run around. Service guy says Gee wiz call the sales manager? OK, I call him and he says nope not me Gee Wiz call finance manager. OK, I'll do that well what do know some how I got disconnected. Try again? OK, Gee Wiz not available what a surprise! Must be more of us out there? and a lawyer to handle the class action? I'm open!
    The reason I am upset is because the faulty air problem has been going on since May of this year. I was trying to get it fixed before it reached 104-106 degrees here in central Cal. like the past few days.

I have also filed a written complaint to D.Chrysler over the poor service and lack of trouble shooting to fix my lousy warm air conditioning. After two visits at two different dealers all they did was put a thermometer in the dash vent and record the temp. The lowest temp recorded is 48 deg.F at a 92 deg. F ambient temp. The problem is, it usually runs about 58-60 deg. F at the vent and it will not cool the cab interior off with several passengers. If you are luck after 30 minutes the vent temp will hit 50-52.

The last service manager told me my truck was a dark color (bright silver inside/out), it is the sunroof and I should have a truck cover on it when it parked. The bottom line......B.S. This truck cost $44,000 and the A/C should handle the cab size and while driving in the sun on a warm day!!! The A.C works about as good as the 1990 Ford Bronco I replaced. Its a shame because the truck only has 4,500 miles on it!!

Check out www.dodgeforum.com...AC Coldness- There more of us out there!!!!
  • ddf1ddf1 Member Posts: 18
    05 Quad Cab SWB 4wd Cummins-When I first turn it on it seems like there is a blockage in the line. When the compressor kicks in there is a loud clunk. Then sounds normal. Is this clunk normal on Dodges?
  • mduttonmdutton Member Posts: 1
    ddf1-
    I have an '04 3500 dually 2WD with a Cummins and started hearing the same thing (clunk after I started the engine) and it would blow cold then hot back and forth. Since my warranty had not run out, took it back to the dealer and asked them to check it out. They said the clutch and compressor were going bad and replaced everything for me. I picked it up yesterday and it is blowing cold now.
    Good luck.
  • jan01jan01 Member Posts: 9
    MY 2003 RAM 1500 HAS COLD AIR ON THE DRIVERS SIDE. AND WARM AIR ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. WHAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM. HELP!
    Common prob with this design generation... the blend door on the passenger side is stuck. It's an all-day-plane-crash of a repair only because you have to drop the entire dash to get to it. My 05 is doing this too, but since it's only me in the truck, I can live with it until my next service.

kcram - Pickups Host
    HI WHY DOSN,t dodge have a recall on this problem? IF THIS A COMMON PROBLEM ON THE DESIGN. JAN01
    There is a TSB for it (and it's covered if you're still in warranty), but it's not a safety item, thus not a recall.
  • brempebrempe Member Posts: 2
    Do you have a TSB reference so that I can provide it to my serviceman. I'm not sure he thinks there's a problem. Thanks!!

-bruce
    WHAT IS A TSB. JAN01
  • brempebrempe Member Posts: 2
    TSB - I presume stands for Technical Service Bulletin. Is there a specific document reference that I can provide to my serviceperson?

Thanks!!

-bruce
    It's usually the A/C result of the vent door in TSB 24-004-03.

Before you go that far, be sure to check that you have a full charge of R134a.
    Bad news....17 days have passed and no part has arrived. I was told by D.Chrysler on 7/14/06 and again 7/21/06 (in writing) and last week by the dealer the part was shipped! Well if it was shipped I said from where? No comment, silence on the phone, I said why can't you track it? They told me the parts manager would call me back...Well it never happened, 17 days with no functioning climate control!!! No air from the vents at all while the fan runs.

No shipment = no tracking, what do you think?
  • dangerfidangerfi Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2006 1500 Megacab and the AC seems very
    inefficient. The vents for the drivers side hardly blow at
    all. The one vent for the passenger side seems to be ok
    and the vent in the back blows pretty good. If there was
    a way to shut off the back vent I think most of the problem
    could be solved but there is no shut off for that vent.
    Driving to work in the morning when the temp is 78 it is not
    a problem but when driving home when it's 95 the ac takes
    forever to cool the cab. I saw an earlier post that
    mentioned that Dodge probably did not upgrade the ac enough
    to run that extra vent in the back. That's exactly the way
    it seems. Has anyone else noticed this problem on their
    Megacabs and have you found anything to help with cooling.
    I keep a sunshade in the window and the windows cracked
    while parked.
    Dangerfi-
    Sorry to hear about your problem, I have an 06 Mega Cab also with poor air conditioner performance. Be ready for a battle with the dealers and Daimler Chrysler!!!!! I have been to several dealers and now for 19 days with NO A/C or any air from the vents. They don't even know when the part will be in and they dont't care either

Please see my past postings and log on to www.dodgeforum.com (re.ac coldness). Lots of good info especially from Manatlarge! Start now and document every conversation/details, you will need it.

This is a big problem and the dealers and Daimler Chrysler customer service center is playing DUMB. Already filed a written complaint with no results, I have moved forward with the next step and it will get their attention!!

Silverbullet06
  • bcc1bcc1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 3500 Megacab. I bought it last week and the a/c was not working well. I did not notice this in the test drive. I brought it back the next day and they found two bad codes. They replaced two parts, not sure what. It was Saturday evening when I got it back. A/C still does not cool. Passenger side blows very weak. On high and recirculate it is noisy and not cool. I have a Yukon XL also, I cannot put it on medium with out being frozen out!

Took it back in and after 5 hours, they said they charged the coolant. It was now cooling a little better. That lasted two days and it is back to the poor performance stage. I am very dissappointed. This is my first Dodge and I am very uncomfortable with the way this is going so far. I am bringiong it back in for a third time tomorrow and I have only had it a week!
    BCC
    BCC-
    Mega cab/Quad cab owners are all faced with a serious design flaw, with the weak air conditioner performance. For a standard cab the air is probably fine, as the cab sizes grew the systems capacity did not. Any combination of high heat or extra passengers pushes the limits to the minimal system.

As I stated before, document everything and all the details of the condition. I am on day 25 with no air circulation at all, I might as well bought a truck with no A/C!! As you will find out the customer service/support is the worst. They want to sell...sell...sell... not fix.

Good luck!
    Silverbullet06
    HI ALL THIS PROBLEM IM HAVING IS THIS AIR FLAP THAT IM HAVING ELECTRIC OR VACUMN CONTROLLED. JAN01
    The blend doors are electric now.

kcram - Pickups Host
  • bcc1bcc1 Member Posts: 2
    Update - I brought the truck in to the dealer yesterday for the 3rd time. They kept it all day and advised they will need to keep it overnight. They seem to be trying to fix it this time. I hope so. So to summarize, I have owned it now for ten days and it has been in the shop for 4 of those days to repair the a/c. I'll update after this repair and let you know if it works. The service rep told me they had to remove the dashboard to access the system and are relocating a sensor to improve the performance. They seem to be trying.
    BCC
    BCC1- Thanks for the update, your sensor relocation is an "interesting fix". From the information I have been given...The flaw is in the recirculating door(s)and housing. It is a 7-8 hour job to replace the assembly. The heater core, evaporator and dash have to be removed to change it out.

The door(s)and it's operation or lack of explains why there is an uneven air discharge or it allows heat to be sucked off the heater core.

This is why my truck has not been fixed, they are waiting on the parts...so they say.
    Alert-------

Mega cab owners with faulty A/C or climate control need to log on to www.mydodgemegacab.com. This is a new web site documenting this serious problem. We need the help.

Thanks!
    Silverbullet06
  • cactus5cactus5 Member Posts: 22
    BCC1 & Silverbullet06, My 06 quad cab just doesn't measure up either. My old '95 F-150 would freeze you out even here in phoenix on a summer afternoon.. I drive a 06 F-250 at work it will freeze you out in 2 minutes. Did that 7-8 hour job solve the problem? Sure feels like heat being sucks off the heater core which warms the cool air on the way to the cab. Darn truck only cools well at 5 a.m.on my way to work. And the air flow from the passenger side is weak. Sounds like we're in this same boat together.
    Cactus5, Well 35 days waiting for the door recirc P/N 5073962-AA did get air moving again. The story I get just keeps changing, the dealer originally ordered this P/N on 07/13/06 and they were told it was superseded by a new "blower case assy". Basically all the complaining I did to D. Chrysler and checking on the part status everyday with the dealer was for nothing.

I filed a complaint with the California New Motor Vehicle Board (mediation) to get some action. Since 2002 D.Chrysler has not participated in the CA certified lemon law program!!!!

Once the complaint is filed the manufacturer has 10 calender days to respond. It took 13 days and a then phone call to D.Chrysler in Irvine, Ca to make something happen.

The same day the call was placed from the mediator I got a call from my dealer to pickup a rental car and the part would be at the dealership in 1-2 days....I picked it up last Friday and the air does come out of the vents but it will not cool the cab off. It was 92 degrees and you barely reach a comfort temp with the fan one notch below high and on recirc. I noticed the vents on the passenger and rear seating vents felt warmer. After a 30 minute trip I checked the temp on those vents and it is 60 degrees vs 50 on the drivers side.

The truck has the dual zone temp and they are on cold. We will be hitting over 100 by the end of the week and I will be back to opening the windows or sweat! The operation is as good as it gets, poor......Everyone needs to call and write D.Chrysler to file compaints.

:lemon:
  • thenuttithenutti Member Posts: 1
    Quick fix to no circulation, While "waiting on parts".

I have a 2003 2500. And can, or could, here the "clunk" after start up. I am at the conclusion that is was the fresh/recirculate door. a few days ago I experienced the same no air flow problem, but could not here the usual "clunk". After reading this post I checked the system My self. the problem is that the Fresh/Recir door had broke off the control rod and had fallen onto the fan intake. The door can Be removed thru the blower passage by droping the blower (3) screws. Its a bit tricky to position the door thru the outside intake allowing it to pass thru the blower passage, allowing air to flow.
    This is only a temporary fix to this specific problem. the unit still has to be removed to replace the door, and it allows outside air to flow thru the recirculate opening. One has to either block the outside opening, or the recir opening. but cold air is nice in 100+ deg temps.

I hope this helps someone.

Thenutti
    QUICK FIX? WHICH POSISION DOES THE DOOR NEED TO BE IN IF I DROP THE BLOWER MOTER TO GET COLD AIR ON THE PASSENGER SIDE. jan01
  • jdailyjdaily Member Posts: 1
    Does any one have a suggestion about just the opposite of this post. My Dodge 2003, 2500 quad has very cold Driver side 2 vents, but the passenger side 3 vents are at least 15 degrees warmer. I checked and i have to move the drivers side dual climate control 1.5 inches to the warm side to make them equal temps. crazy
    Now i used to hear some thing similar to that Clunk in the above post at start up, but i was thinking it sounded more like Removing an air tool from the air hose with pressure still on.
    Ohh i have been to a professional and he wanted 650 bucks to replace the temp. thermocouple, he was saying he had to remove the dash, and replace some thing that turned the air on and off by temp before it froze up. similar to an old pressure switch. any thoughts ?
    thanks
    Had my truck into the dealer for 2 days, they replaced the recirulator door. My A/C seems to be working just fine. I'll send you any updates. Oh they also replaced a circuit board my left rear tailight was out too.
    Thanks for the update!! Their great trucks if the A/C is working.

Silverbullet06
    Yea well it's my first time buying a Dodge. A buddy at work has a friend who bought an 06 megacab, he had the same problem. Hope I don't have to go back again it took them 3 1/2 hours to fix under warranty luckly. How's your A/C?
    Cactus 5- No good news to report,50-55 degrees drivers side vents 80-90 left side. I am tired of sweating while the A/C is on!!
    Trying to set up an appointment with the factory rep next week, either fix it or give my money back. Four months without a properly working A/C is not acceptable.

Silverbullet06
  • cdb82cdb82 Member Posts: 6
    I need help!!! I've recently had a problem with the condensation drain for the AC; it floods my passenger side floor. I know it must be a simple repair, but I've not been able to correct it. could anyone out there help me???
    Thanks sooo much!
    DannyB
    I need help!!! I've recently had a problem with the condensation drain for the AC; it floods my passenger side floor. I know it must be a simple repair, but I've not been able to correct it. could anyone out there help me???
    Thanks sooo much!
    DannyB
  • redrammanredramman Member Posts: 1
    DannyB, I have a 98 Ram 1500 Quad cab. Have you had any luck with your repair on the a/c drain leak? I am having the same problem. I have pulled the blower motor, cleaned out the drain and the box, and still have a leak. Please let me know of your progress.
    Thanks,
    Redramman
    Redramamn,
    Sorry to hear you have the same problem, and glad to know I'm not the only one working on it! My truck is an 01 1500 with 27k the failure to drain did not begin until last summer. not one person I've spoken with can tell me anything about it! Man if you can figure this out you'd be one of my heroes!!!!!!
    If I get it I'll post it - please do the same
    Thanks
    Danny B
  • mobermober Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem with my 2003 ram 1500. The first occurance was the end of last winter.

I started my truck and the blower motor did not come on for my defrosters. I tried just the fan and A/C without luck. I waited about 10 minutes and when it was apparent to me that it wasn't going to come on, I start to drive. After about 20 yards, it started? I did not have a re-occurrence of the problem for many months so I thought it was just a computer screw-up. Then it happened again, this time while turning on the A/C. I have now had the problem about 10 times (five this week) and it only happens when I first start the truck and the blower always kicks on after moving about 20 yards. I don’t know if moving is a key or just a timing issue? It doesn't matter what speed the fan is set on, A/C, heat or just the fan, it either works or it doesn't? I now fear that at some point there is going to be a failure with the fan and it will not come on. Is this related to the resistor problems I’ve been reading about? If so, it seems to be a different flavor of the problem. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

PS I am new to this site and could not figure out where to post this question? If this posting is incorrect, could you please direct me to the correct area and process.
    I had the exact same problem last year, it is likley that the fan motor is failing. The least expensive thing to do is remove the fan motor; this all will come out as a unit, then you can remove the clip which holds the fan on the shaft. all you need is a pair of needle nose ans a socket set. I went to the local salvage yard and purchased a used one for $15.00, and put it all back together in the parking lot of the salvage yard in about 15 min.

hope this was helped!
    DannyB
  • mobermober Member Posts: 2
    Thanks DannyB,
    Can you tell me where the fan/blower unit is located in my truck? I believe it is under the dash on the passanger side but i'm not sure.
    Mober,
    your correct, you'll probably need a socket extension to reach the bolt behind the unit. the bottom of the units housing is kinda rounded. it is very simple to replace. I'm not very good at this sort of thing and it was easy to figure out. Let me know how it goes?
    DannyB