Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 Battery and Electrical Problems

13»

Comments

• junebug1701junebug1701 Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2012
    Your headlights should turn themselves off automatically about 30 seconds after shutting all the doors. This doesn't apply if you turned them on after the engine was shut off, or if a door is ajar. They will also turn off if you hit the lock button on the remote twice. It doesn't matter if the switch is in the headlight or parking light position. And yes, leaving the parking lights on for 14 hours will drain the battery.

Personally, I leave my RAV4's headlights on day and night so others can see me. When I park the car and shut the door, I either hit the lock button twice or just once so I can see my path to the door. The lights always turn off.
  • crazypjcrazypj Member Posts: 2
    This evening my wife rang in a bit of a panic.
    Started and drove OK this morning, started and drove granddaughter to Toys R Us early evening went to pick up Chinese, got there, got food, wouldn't start.
    Tried jump start-nothing
    I'm really 'annoyed' as it's only done 18,900 miles and isn't 2 yrs old.
    Had to call a tow truck as it wouldn't keep running even after tow truck driver got it started.
    Earlier post mentioned electric power steering may be the problem?
    Would a better battery help? (more amp/hours)
    I'm hoping this is not going to be a warrant problem as she really needs the transport
    Any advice appreciated (other than sell it)
    I got laid off after accident in work and have two herniated discs :mad:
    This is typical of the original FB battery. They usually start showing symptoms of longer cranking times when cold, then can fail at any time. What year is your RAV4? The original battery in my 2008 Limited V6 started acting up right at 2 years old and 11,000 miles. Had the dealer load test it and it failed, so they replaced it under warranty with a better battery. Buy a quality size 24F battery and it should be fine.
  • crazypjcrazypj Member Posts: 2
    It's 2010 just about dead on 2 yrs old.
    I'm really disappointed with Toyota, even if the replacement is under warranty, it should at least give some sort of warning.
    This was working fine (no extended cranking periods, etc)
    Just died in literally less than 10 mins (less than 2 miles from home)
    :lemon:
  • chell7chell7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Rav 4 and Sometimes it will not go into overdrive/ last gear. The warning lights come on sporadically to check engine, VSC, 4WD. What is the cause? Transmission is bad? Electrical?
  • rav4blahsrav4blahs Member Posts: 1
    Battery problems again! This battery is still under warranty, about a year old. After the last batch of problems, I always turn the lights off. This time I came back after a two week trip. The remote worked, the overhead light came on and nothing on start-up. Got it going with a jump start. Took the freeway home, at the first red light the electronics died. I shut off all the extra systems A/C and radio, and fortunately traffic started moving, so the car kept working until I got home. Turned it off, then tried to turn it back on to raise the window. Nothing, the panel was black. Next morning, I had dome lights and the a few panel lights.

Dealer said the clock ran it down, or the person jumping it fired the fuse and it wouldn't charge. The replaced the battery and the fuse for free. The other repair guy said its just the heat. Sorry, but if clocks and heat killed new batteries in two weeks, there would have been a major overhaul in the systems. I like the Rav4 for size and drive-ability, but I need a car I can trust.

I read the other posts, and gather there are ideas but nothing solid to go by. Dealers seem to rely only on the machine tests--would the electronics in the steering wheel show a problem if that is the drain?

Thanks!
  • edmundsdave77edmundsdave77 Member Posts: 1
    When my 2007 Rav4 was exactly 3 years old it went commpletely dead when driving on the interstate. No power, no radio, no lights no anything. I did manage to pull over and AAA towed me to the nearest Toyota dealership after hours. I left the vehicle there with a message regarding the problem and went to a hotel. When I returned the next day they had it fixed but were evasive about answering WHY this would have happened and what they did to repair it. They said they thought it was the battery and replaced the battery but then it wouldnt start so they "replaced some fuses". But unable to tell me what fuses, and there was no charge on the bill for fuses, just the battery, labor and $8.55 for 'shop supplies'. Total $248.83. Now I live in fear that this will happen again. Anyone have any insight?
  • chopper_stevechopper_steve Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012
    Bought an 07 RAV4 (6cyl) new. Currently on the 4th battery, including the original Toyota at 60,000 miles. Orig Toyota battery lasted 18,000 mi and 2 yrs, 1st Diehard lasted 2 yrs, 2nd Diehard 1 yr. (good warrantee on Diehards allowed for lower cost replacement). Towed to dealer this time, when I tested battery, showed 12.6V. Successful jump, but wouldn't restart. Back to a Toyota battery. Live in Texas with extreme heat. Was told that kills them, but 4 batteries in 5 years is ridiculous. Other cars can go 3-4 years on Diehards. Something is up on this car.
  • 99rav99rav Member Posts: 1
    my 1999 rav4 is having some strange electrical issues. the gauge cluster has stopped working along with the turn signals i also cant use power locks or power windows and i am unable to shift my automatic transmission into drive. the head lights still work. any ideas what this could be?
  • ellen2012ellen2012 Member Posts: 1
    My RAV 4 is a 2005 model. I've only had it two years, but I've had many problems with batteries dying. So, new batteries, new alternator....and it seems to all be because of one of the twelve fuses found behind the ashtray down by the steering wheel (not the main fuse box). A fuse keeps blowing, this in turn stops relaying to the alternator which stops charging the battery. Eventually the juice runs out and the car dies. mechanics have all been wrong -- hence the new batteries, alternator. A few times I've realized something's blown -- usually the heater, but other times no clue until it's too late. So, the big question is....why does it keep blowing??? Ring any bells for anyone?
  • rav4lorrirav4lorri Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Toyota Rav 4 -- 4.2 L 4 cyl. . We often have to replace the fuses to get the accessory outlets to work... increasing the sizes of the fuses so they don't blow immediately.
    We just had to replace the alternator (how did the original get a bent shaft and make so much noise?). Everything is charging properly but the former flashing battery light is now shining all the time. Some say belts, others fuses? Any suggestions?
  • ramseypramseyp Member Posts: 1
    :blush: i tried to start the vehicle with no success. I can turn everything on with no sign of power issues. When i try to start the engine, all i get is a ticking sound and it even start to shake the whole car. The first time this happened i added gas, replaced the battery and nothing. left it alone for a few hour and it started. It had been running fine for about two months until is happened again, about 6 days ago. Has anyone else experience this problem and have any suggestions? Any Help?
  • nani4gbbnani4gbb Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I just bought a used 99 RAV4 and it just did the same thing you described. I went to start it and the battery light flickered then all electric things inside went dead. No doorlocks, no windows, no tail lights, no radio, no turn signal, no wipers, no ac/ blower, etc. The engine was running fine and Ihad headlights. I has the fuses tested and no sign of problem there. Did you have any luck finding or fixing the problem?
  • johngodlewskijohngodlewski Member Posts: 1
    2010 Rav4 -- I too recently experienced the same problem with my battery. It occurred at just under 61,000 km. All the Toyota dealer said was it was a defective battery and replaced it for free with a heavy duty Toyota battery. However, ever since I've been uneasy with my Toyota and now always thinking the battery may die again without notice since I've gotten no reason for the battery dying in the first place. Given this experience I'm not sure I'd want to buy another Rav4 when the dealer cannot explain why it hppened in the first place. I'm reading that many others have experienced the same issue with the battery. the first time in my life that I've experienced a car battery dying so early in its life. And what I've noticed since is that when I start the car and begin accelerating the lights dim momentarily (head lights, dashboard). The Toyota dealer cannot explain if this is normal or unusal. They're still discussing it and I'll be calling back for an up-date next week. Stay tuned.
    Mark my words, you'll be lucky to get 3 years out of that battery. The original battery in my 2008 went bad after 24 months and was replaced under warranty with a Toyota Truestart battery. That one failed after 25 months and I replaced it with an AutoCraft Gold with 3 year free replacement from Advance Auto. I have to say that with both Toyota batteries, they just began to get weak and I had longer than normal starting times. They never died or left me stranded. But it's important to have them load tested when they first start getting weak. Both of the Toyota batteries failed a standard load test.
  • nani4gbbnani4gbb Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    My used 99 RAV 4 had an electrical issue in January , with all the accessories going out at the same time. Putting in a new battery didn't solve the problem and the alternator tested fine. Later we found the problem, it was that one of the linked fuses was blown. These fuses are are in a small plastic compartment right next to the battery. We replaced the middle 100 amp fuse for $2.79 two months ago and it's been running fine since then. Problem solved without an expensive repair shop bill!
  • coletta7coletta7 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2011 Rav4 that I got in March 2011 and In August 2012, the battery died, leaving me stranded while on vacation with my children. It was on a Saturday, late afternoon, in the middle of nowhere and I am still trying to get reimbursed by Toyota Care for getting a flat bed to drop my car at a closed dealer and to take me to an airport (more than 1 hour away) to get a rental. I had not other recourse :lemon: . I was told that the flat bed could drop my car but I and my children were on our own in a deserted place. I was very disappointed and still am.
  • fordtrucksrockfordtrucksrock Member Posts: 1
    Thank you friend. It is so nice to know that I can come here and get solutions to problems and save hundreds on repair bills. Your post saved me a lot of headache and a whoopin by my wife. We thought I had fried her RAV4. I was changing the thermostat and didn't unhook the battery..... DOH!

Shorted out the cable putting the alternator back in and it popped the fuse next to the battery. A short piece of solder fixed it til we can get another fuse monday.

I don't like the newer autos man. My 81 Ford F 150 is good, but I'm still gonna get a 79 if I can find a deal on one. Computers are great for in the house, but not in my auto. Analog all the way for me :)

Thanks again, you're a life saver. My wife would have killed me!!!!
  • dthreedthree Member Posts: 1
    battery problem? Not sure but I can't start my RAV and I have tried jumping the battery. Now all the lights on the dash are on and the starter button is showing orange. So by the time I have my car towed 60 miles to the dealer in the morning, the battery will be dead. Worst of all.....37100 miles, just out of warranty. I sure hope Toyota takes care of this! I have never had a battery need replacing on any vehicle at 37,000 miles!
    Who tried to jump start the RAV? It's quite possible they reversed the positive and negative cables which can cause all kinds of problems. Hopefully it's just a couple of blown fuses. If you have the V6, the original battery is only good for 2 years, 3 at the most.
  • nimiminimimi Member Posts: 249
    I've had my '09 Rav4 Limited, V6, 4x4 for 4-1/2 years and the original battery still shows green on its window.
  • robidrewrobidrew Member Posts: 3
    Hey all
    We are having similar problems with our Rav4, Limited Edition, 2011. About 3 months ago, our son left a light on overnight. No surprise, the car wouldn't start. Tow Truck came, boosted it, let it run for 30 minutes. When we turned it off and tried to restart, nothing. It was towed then to a dealership. They said the battery was dead, replaced it.

Things were fine until Tuesday. My wife drove it at 8:30 pm. Started it (with the car starter) at 10 pm. Got into the car, got called back inside for something and she turned off the car, shut the doors, locked it. (You get the idea). 45 minutes later when she went back outside to restart the car, it was completely dead. Nothing. Tow truck driver came, connected it to a battery but couldn't get it to start. He said the battery was fine, showed lots of juice in it, but could not get it to start. Towed it to a dealership. 4 days later, we are told it was a battery problem (again). They have replaced the battery again.

Here is the kicker-we were told that the problem is that the car isn't driven enough. That to expect this to happen again and again unless we invest in a trickle charger (sp?) and charge it once a week, or take it out on the highway once a week for a long drive.

I have a hard time believing this especially after reading so many other stories of battery problems. This car is driven at least every other day, but it is mainly short distances. There are only 11000 km on it and this was proof according to the service guy that it isn't driven enough. He said you would have this with any car and it isn't specific to Toyota. Has anyone else been told that with their Rav 4s? My wife is the driver and doesn't drive any differently than she did with our previous car (Honda Fit 2008) and we never had this happen. Any thoughts would be appreciated. We are seriously considering selling and buying something else.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited May 2013
    You do hear similar complaints now and then and it's usually with newer cars with more electronics. Here's a recent tread on Edmunds Answers from a newer Ford owner with dead battery issues.

Anyone else?
    Thanks for the link. A very interesting read.
    I have a '97 and a '99 in my garage, and both cars sit for weeks at a time (I basically drive the '97 just for 4 winter months). Yet they always crank.

I have a trickle charger and I guess it'll get plenty of use when we finally break down and buy a new car (hm, I guess "break down" isn't the best word choice there. :shades: ).
    Isn't that ironic.

I did email Toyota Canada and this was their response:

"Thank you for your recent email.

Your Toyota dealership is responsible for determining if the condition meets the criteria for coverage under warranty, and we fully support their advice. As such, anything your Toyota dealership advises, Toyota Canada would stand behind their decision.

We thank you again for taking the time to write."

So they completely didn't address the concern or answer any of my questions. We talked to family and friends this weekend and no one could believe we are having these problems. We heard example after example of people leaving their cars for extended periods and starting no problem. And here our car is driven almost every day! Unfortunately, we just don't trust our Rav anymore and since Toyota Canada has ignored our concerns and the dealership has, we are going to sell. Now we just have to figure out what to buy instead. It's a real shame.
  • waynewalwaynewal Member Posts: 6
    Just got a RAV4 6 cyl - 2010..... sorry to hear there's battery problems.
    I usually drive min 30 mins and usually more like 60, except the ocassional 5 min trip to the store.

It's not a v6 but the honda was next in my book after the rav4.

Hate to move down on gas mileage, but was then looking at the Sorento and the Tucson.
  • nafi2013nafi2013 Member Posts: 1
    I have a Toyota rav4 2007 limited , I had the car for 3 yr and lately I have been parking under a tree which caused my sunroof drainage to collect dust and leaves, basically water leaked into the driver side looking thru the forums I was able to fix it but now I notice that the radio cutting in and out and the a headlight wouldn't turn off automatically yesterday but this morning was working great and everything els works fine.
    I am guessing that the water got into it, did anyone els had the same problem and if so how was it fixed, is it possible that its just a fuse since the fuse box is located by the driver side or its electrical. I will greatly appreciate your response
    Thank you
  • shareinfoshareinfo Member Posts: 1
    I also had this exact problem, which began as a mystery... It was clear that the problem occurred when it rained. I have a RAV 4 2010 Limited only 26,000 miles. Happened twice beginning in May 2013 and then in June. Began with locks not working properly, beeping noises in error, radio skipping, and then battery died on the morning I had a speaking engagement... Thank God my daughter was visiting with a car and drove me. Later on a jump successfully started the car. The dealer listened to the symptoms as though it was a strange unknown problem and replaced the battery no charge. Problem seemed resolved until a month later, big rain occurred and symptoms returned. I figured the rain was somehow causing problems. Noticed leak from sunroof and water on passenger seat. However, the dealer wanted to assure it wasn't some other matter. Finally, the problem was narrowed to water getting on the electrical harness. The harness was maintenanced and problems seem to be resolved for now. The dealer was very thorough and accommodating - I am grateful. However, this is a very scary vulnerability; for, the electrical harness problem seems to drain the battery, affect the locks, kills the radio intermittently, and basically affects the general operation of the vehicle. I do not know if I will purchase another car that has this vulnerability - regardless of the make or model. Thank you for your post, this really helped me to understand and see that this is a known vulnerability.
  • jerseyman26jerseyman26 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 Rav4 which I consider the worst car I have ever had but that is not why I am posting. I am looking for help. My lease is up the end of this month and last night after I shut off the car, or at least the engine the push button stayed lite as well as the dash board lights and nav. I tried to start it again but the pedal was hard and nothing happened. I could not turn off the electrical system without disconnecting the battery terminals. This morning I reconnected the terminals hoping that the system would reset itself but nothing different. I disconnected the terminals again and left it all day till just now and still the same problem. I have 55,000 miles on it so I am well out of warranty and really don't feel like fixing a car I am returning the end of this month nor repairing a car I consider way over priced for the cheap piece of crap it is.

So does anyone have any clue as to what I can do short of paying the dealer?
  • gbuckogbucko Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I purchased a 2011 Rav4, Limited Edition, on November 5, 2011. No problems with the vehicle, around 17000 miles, until Saturday Morning, July 20, 2013. Went out to start and move the vehicle in my driveway and I noticed the following.
    1. The evening before there were a stream of severe thunder storms that passed through our area in Harrisburg, Pa.
    2. When I touched the handle on the driver door, it opens without making any noise. In fact all of the doors locks were open. I always lock the vehicle when I am finished using it.
    3. Upon sitting in the drivers seat and pushing the start button with the brake depressed absolutely nothing happened.
    4. Every electrical device in the vehicle was in an off state and the dash was blacked out.
    5. Contacted, Toyota Care and they have a local tow company come out and using a booster he finally got the vehicle to start. He indicated that the alarm system was active on the vehicle and that the battery was totally dead. Suggested I drive the vehicle to my Toyota dealer and have them change the battery.
    6. Followed the tow guys advise and took the car to my Toyota dealer. The service advisor swore that they had never heard of the problem I was having and spent the afternoon charging the existing battery. Picked up the Rav4 at the close of business. Rep said that Toyota called for recharge only and no battery replacement.
    7. Car started and ran fine until the evening of Tuesday, July 30 when my wife and I were out shopping and after gassing up and running to the grocery store, when we got back in the vehicle, I noticed that the door locks opened without me touching my key or even touching the door handle. We go in the vehicle and I failed to start at all. The alarm light was flashing very fast red and the battery light was on my gauge lights. Nothing was working and we were again unable to start the vehicle.
    8. Called Toyota Care and while giving them information on where we were and the problem, after about 30 minutes, I decided to try to start the car again and it started.
    9. Car ran fine and I made an appointment for today, Friday, 8/2/2013.
    10. Car has been at the Toyota dealer since 7:30 am this morning. It is 4:06 and it is still at the dealer and they have not returned my calls.

Very disappointed in the Dealer and Toyotas lack of response to the problem with the vehicle. Did I mention that I have keyless entry and starter on the vehicle. They do no good at all when the vehicle is disabled.

Is there anyone out there with similar Rav4 problems?
    That is a classic example of a bad battery. The RAV4 with its electric power steering is dependent on a strong battery--the Limited with push button start even more so. The dealership should have performed a load test on the battery and replaced it with a new one since you are still under the factory warranty. My original battery started getting weak after 2 years, taking a little bit longer to start. I took it to my dealer, they said it failed the load test and installed a new Toyota Truestart battery under warranty. You might want to try finding a better dealership.
    The first time it went in, the battery was completely dead. No lights or displays in the vehicle. The Toyota care tow driver put the battery booster to finally get it started and recommended I not turn it off until I could get it to the dealer. I drove it to the dealer, and they charged the dead battery. Afterwards, they tested the electrical system and everything was ok. The second time that I had the problem with the vehicle, I took it in to the dealer and they had it an entire day. When I went to pick it up, the service paperwork was still on the Reps desk and the request was still open. The electrical check test showed no problems with the electrical system. The tech rep sent a Technical Service Request in to Toyota on Friday, August 2 and expected to get a reply by Tuesday or Wednesday. Well it is Wednesday, August 7, and I have not heard from the dealership as of 9 AM. I really love the RAV4 for many reasons, however I have totally lost confidence in the RELIABILITY of the vehicle. I cannot trust it to startup every time I get into the vehicle. My wife and I are planning a couple of trips within the next month, and have no Idea whether the problem will occur again. Toyota refuses to replace the battery since the tests came back within their specifications and no Errors are indicated on the computer system for the vehicle. If it goes one more time with no resolution, Pennsylvania has a Lemon Law that may help me.
  • judy8031judy8031 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '07 RAV 4 Limited. Purchased new in August of '07. The car ran fine for 2 years, then had to have it towed to the dealership as it was completely dead. New battery was installed and it ran fine for another 2 years. Dead battery again, so I bought a new one through NTB. Once again, it ran great until 2012. I returned to my car after shopping one day and it wouldn't start. Called AAA and had them come jump it. Testing indicated the battery was going bad, so went back to NTB and had it replaced under warranty. A couple of months later, battery was dead again. When AAA jumped it, the car started but would barely go.....10-15 MPH. Limped into the dealership and was told it was something to do with the engine. Toyota made the repairs and I picked it up the next day. Starting a couple of months after that, my battery died. At that point, I had it towed to the dealership. They told me it was just a dead battery and that I must have left the lights on overnight. (NOT!) Took the car home and, after 4-5 weeks, the car was dead again. AAA - jump start. Car ran fine. A couple of months later, dead battery - AAA ... jump start. Then after 11 days, dead battery again and, again, AAA jumped it and checked the battery. The battery was fine. Just no power getting to it. Drove to dealership, explained, again, what was going on. Left the car with them and had to rent a car to get to work. At the end of the day, they could find nothing, so asked to bring it back in the day after Labor Day for them to run a "drain" test. Took the car back in, rented another car, and left it overnight and all day on Wednesday. THEY HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHAT IS MAKING MY BATTERY DRAIN. CANNOT FINE ONE THING WRONG. Is this crazy, or what? It's a TOYOTA and I'm having TOYOTA mechanics work on it................they haven't a clue! I will say one thing positive about this experience - I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER TOYOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    On September 11, the Rav4 was inspected and I once again asked that the techs run a test on the battery. Inspection went well with no issues and the battery test indicated no problem with the battery.
    On Saturday morning, September 14, my wife and I went to breakfast and made stops at the post office and went to get a few groceries at the Giant food store on 277 Hershey Road in Hummelstown Pa 17036. We finished shopping in the store and loaded up the Rav4 and tried to start it at 9:45 AM. All that occurred after pushing the start button was for it to click and then nothing. Retried several times and nothing. Called Toyota Care and the operator indicated that Mid Atlantic Auto would be out to tow the Rav4 in about 1 1/2 hours. Tried to restart intermittently with no luck. After receiving the call that the tow was 1/2 hour away, I tried to restart one more time and it finally restarted at 10:55 AM. Called Toyota Care to cancel the tow and proceeded to drive and drop my wife off at home and then proceed to the Toyota dealership. The customer service rep logged the RAV4 in for service and he indicated that the rep who had previously handled the problem would be in Monday morning, September 16.
    Up to this point I had received no service reports to show that the Rav4 was in fact in for correction of the problem. Weekend rep indicated that the other rep would handle getting me copies on Monday.
    September 16. Went the entire day without my car or even a call from the dealership. Called at 4 PM and get the rep handling the problem. He indicated that he did not know that the car was even there until noon and then proceeded to start it and took it in for test on the electrical and battery. He indicated that no problem was showing up. He asked that I leave it overnight and on Tuesday, 9/17, he would contact Toyota again about the problem. Afterwards, he would call me and let me know what was going on.
    Really frustrated at this point.
  • sirinelsirinel Member Posts: 1
    I have a Toyota Rav 4, Limited, 2010.
    While I'm driving, the security light goes on. When I stop the car, I have difficulties to restart, the green light on the push button doesn't come on. I went to my Toyota dealer, and they don't know exactly what may be the problem. They suggested to change the ignition switch and if the problem reoccurs, to change the ECU module.
    Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
  • yota16yota16 Member Posts: 2

@jerseyman26 said:
    I have a 2010 Rav4 which I consider the worst car I have ever had but that is not why I am posting. I am looking for help. My lease is up the end of this month and last night after I shut off the car, or at least the engine the push button stayed lite as well as the dash board lights and nav. I tried to start it again but the pedal was hard and nothing happened. I could not turn off the electrical system without disconnecting the battery terminals. This morning I reconnected the terminals hoping that the system would reset itself but nothing different. I disconnected the terminals again and left it all day till just now and still the same problem. I have 55,000 miles on it so I am well out of warranty and really don't feel like fixing a car I am returning the end of this month nor repairing a car I consider way over priced for the cheap piece of crap it is.

So does anyone have any clue as to what I can do short of paying the dealer?

• yota16yota16 Member Posts: 2

This is for jerseyman26. I cant believe im reading some of this about the Rav 4. Theres no such thing as a perfect car. You must not realize what u have. Toyotas are one of the most reliable vehicles on the road with the best resale value. The Rav 4 is one of the best vehicles that Toyota makes. It will actually make u a better driver. Go get yourself an Equinox or Escape and see what kind of problems u have. If u buy a new one, you will lose have of the value as soon as u leave the lot and you will be so upside down, youll never be able to trade. You talkin about overpriced, the Limited Escape is around 37 grand. Wow! You can buy a new 4-Runner for that!

• schwapzure1schwapzure1 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2011 Rav4. Moved car from one parking spot to another yesterday. Parked car and went on about my business. Went to start car this morning and engine cranked but would not start. Rav has 57,000 miles on it.Has regular maintenance, lights all came on dashboard. also has keyless entry and ignition system. Any ideas where I should start looking to correct this problem
    Original battery? If so, most auto parts stores will load test yours for free.
  • schwapzure1schwapzure1 Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to add that it is a Rav4 Limited. Also Brake pedal seemed stiff when trying to start car.
  • tibebukiflomtibebukiflom Member Posts: 1
    i have one RAV 4 modele year 2005 ,with a model of 7Q2340-P its streering becom hard intermitantly for nothing whil driving before three months in addtion to that before one day its charging system fail to work and its charging indicetor(battery symbol) light lits up please advice me the solution
  • Kennybob54Kennybob54 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my niece a 2003 Rav 4, 164k miles. I test drove the car (5-10 miles)and it performed great. She picked it up today and took it home (30-40miles) It drove well 0n freeway and in stop and go traffic, but stalled after she got off the freeway, (maybe 30 miles into trip) It shook and stalled, but restarted right away. I don't know how old the gas is, but looking for ideas for troubleshooting, New gas? gas filters? Ideas?
  • AvgcarownerAvgcarowner Member Posts: 1
    New 2020 Rav4 hybrid, battery dead after sitting 2 days. After jumping battery, took to local dealer who said battery was fine- just recharged. Opened up a case with Toyota (Case#2006012658). Told nothing they can do because it is “not a recurring problem.” Explained there are a ton of the other complaints about new Toyotas batteries going dead when sitting a few days (see car guru). They won’t acknowledge it despite me sending them a links to blogs with numerous complaints. Thus, when your battery goes dead, you must call Toyota at 800-331-4331 and get a case opened. Until there is specific documentation with Toyota at the national level, they will not do anything.
  • kurtataltoskurtataltos Member Posts: 4
    AVGCAROWNER... Toyota is unlikely to do anything. The electrical design issue cause the battery failure is known but ignored by Toyota. Some have found a "potential" relief by not engaging the auto parking brake feature. That may... help. It's like the gas tank filling issue. The problem is known and ignored by Toyota.
  • Rick_2020Rav4Rick_2020Rav4 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021
    I jumped my 2020 Rav4 with 20k miles 3 times before I took it in. The car battery would die overnight parked in the garage. The dealer gave my car a clean bill of health. I was told by the dealer the modules don't go to sleep unless the doors are locked. I lock the car in my garage now and problem is solved, No jumps since locking every time I get out of the car even in the garage.