Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Prius Dash & Instrumentation Questions

13»

Comments

• krismuhlkrismuhl Member Posts: 2
    I guess this is more of a suggestion for Toyota, maybe it is fixed on the new models. If I have my climate control going, then switch to AUTO AC on the steering column, then switch it again, using the steering column, it turns everything off! Why wouldn't it just revert back to what it was on before? VERY annoying...then when I turn something back on, usually to vent, with the controls on the dash (not the steering column) the ac is automatically on etc... just annoying. Not too difficult to make the car revert to where things were before I wouldn't think.
    Otherwise, a great car. wish i had the money to buy the 2010...mine is a 2008.
    Thanks!
  • michellep29michellep29 Member Posts: 1
    I can not find my toyota book for the prius but today the maitenence light came on and wanted to know if I'm supose to take it to a maitenence place to get it work on or somthen.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    That light comes on every 5,000 to indicate an oil and filter change is due.
    Shut it off by holding down the ODO button while pushing start.
    After a sequence of flashes, the reset will be complete and the light will be out.
  • lalatendulalatendu Member Posts: 1
    Hi -
    I have a 2001 Toyota Prius with 49000 miles on it.
    Off-late I am seeing the the MIL indicator coming up (& staying on) when I insert the Key and turn it to 'ON' position. However the indicator goes away when I start the engine or drive. Does anybody know what might be wrong? Is this something I should be worried of?
  • russ45russ45 Member Posts: 1
    Could someone please help me buy new manuals for my 08 Prius. Wife was house cleaning & tossed the whole packet out.Please help me find the cost effective & easy way to purchase them.
  • sas9sas9 Member Posts: 28
    You can download the Prius guide online. Remember that this isn't written by Toyota - but by Prius owners. I've fouind it helpful and written more simply than the manual. Not sure if this is what you want but the web address is:
    http://john1701a.com/prius/documents/Prius_User-Guide_classic.pdf

As for the manuals, if I was you, I would search for some used ones on amazon.com, ebay.com and craigslist.com, etc. Hope this helps!
  • whitey9whitey9 Member Posts: 138
    If by manuals, you mean "owner's manual", and "warranty" manual, and the like, you can get it from the parts department.
  • michzam11michzam11 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 toyota prius and had my first oil change done at jiffy lube, They were terrific, but could not reset the light due to reset specs are not yet available. I dont want to pay more money at the dealership. Jiffy Lube was nice enough to offer to reset it if I brought in the instructions. please help ..
    mzabovetheinflence@yahoo.com
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    On the 2004-2009 - Engine off, hold down the ODO button while turning on, keep holding the ODO button until the light goes off. Just did it the other day.
    2010 may be different.
  • lennieq1lennieq1 Member Posts: 1
    At one time I saw how to disble the greyed out screen on 2007 and older Prius' has anyone figured out how to disable the grey out screen on a 2008 Prius
  • glouderbackglouderback Member Posts: 10
    I realize that I am replying to a 2008 Message. My 2005 Prius which I bought new has a touch screen display that is slowly getting dimmer as it ages. I used to work on touch screen displays that had the same problem. The answer is to replace the small florescent bulb that no longer is outputing the same lumens as it once did. Unfortunately, Toyota doesn't have a part number for the bulb and will only replace the entire touch screen display at a cost of over $3000 . I am going to research how to get at the display to see if the light source is replaceable.
    Anybody else have anything to add to this?
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I bought a 2007 Prius a couple of months ago,and honestly in sunlight I can't see anything.Not the speedometer or the information screen.Anyone think that anything could be done.My car is still under a bumper to bumper warranty.
  • glouderbackglouderback Member Posts: 10
    I checked it out. There is no part number for the florescent tube. It doesn't even look replaceable. The entire touch screen assembly would have to be replaced. The cost of that is over $3000. A refurbished one is half that. Try turning the brightness up all the way or buying a sun shied for it.I have seen them on Prius Chat web site
    See if they will replace it.
    I have the brightness set to high,but although it looks fine when it's overcast,when it's sunny...I have to use my Garmin GPS to see my speed.
  • hihostevohihostevo Member Posts: 59
    This may sound strange... but the small dial on the panel to the left of the steering wheel. Where do you have it set?

Did you roll the dial all the way to the top past the detent?

Or do you have it rolled down towards the bottom?

Normally I have had friends have their display set in day mode so it is too bright at night, but is yours in night mode during the day?
    edited March 2010
    I have tried it in several ways.Seems like it makes a change only if your headlights are on.Otherwise,it has no effect at all.I have the info panel lights set on medium which seems to work the best.Actually when you adjust it brighter and max contrast,I cannot see any difference.Of course that affects the back up camera view too,
    BTW the service manager at my dealer said that this is a common complaint,but the 2010s are a bit brighter.(helps me a lot)
  • shay2shay2 Member Posts: 9
    Can't find my message from yesterday.
    69K miles on Prius 2005. No problems except water pump at 65000.
    Went to start car and got error with PS, red triangle do not drive, tow to nearest dealer. Dealer checked and say it is the computer. The computer "went out" and is "shot, I need a new computer and it will be $2000.
  • dwolfcoachdwolfcoach Member Posts: 2
    Me too. 76,000k miles, but while I was driving. Toyota didn't help me either. Did you get help from them?
  • shay2shay2 Member Posts: 9
    no help but I haven't told them to fix it
    I may try another dealer
    They say it can happen if you hit a pothole. Gee I thought it was a car.

"recommend replace skid control ECU"

how much did yours cost?
    thanks
  • llearylleary Member Posts: 1
    Our 2005 Prius with 79K miles has twice now popped up with all the warning lights which direct us to have it towed to the nearest dealer. Only the last time we were in heavy traffic going very slow for over 30 minutes and as soon as the problem cleared and we could accelerate, all the lights went on and the car wouldn't go over 45 mph. We had to pull over and re start the car twice to achieve decent acceleration. Just the opposite problem all the other Toyota's are having.
    The lights were still on when we got to the dealer, but when they went to work on it both times, the lights are off and they say there is no problem with the car.
    Does this sound like a computer issue or a mechanical problem? Should we pursue it with another dealer?
    Obviously we are concerned because this is a potentially dangerous situation as we could get hit from behind.
  • bbb99bbb99 Member Posts: 58
    Is it the battery? What else could it be?
  • sliceopizzasliceopizza Member Posts: 26
    My reverse camera stopped working. The screen is mostly white with a rainbow pattern in it when I put it into reverse. No other problems with the display. I have a 2006. Anyone else had their cameras do this? Please don't respond about cleaning the camera lens, this is not the problem. I can't find anyone else who has had a camera go out. the dealer said it's about $1000.00 to replace it.
  • slicknic86slicknic86 Member Posts: 1
    Aparently this is a major problem that toyota has with all of their digital displays that are in cars from 2004-2009. I have also been having the same problem for some time and it is really inconvenient and should be resolved by toyota. I have researched and found this website to have some very important and needed information. http://lusciousgarage.com/blog/prius_combination_meter_dashboard_repair_availabl- e/
  • ritterjjritterjj Member Posts: 1
    Hello
    I just read your posting about your 2005 Prius. BRAKE, ABS & VSC lights on dash -
    I have a 2005 with the same problem.'It has been to the dealer twice in 7 days. They say they can't figure out the problem.
    When this happens i can not power down the vehicle. After a long wait (hours) i can power down but it will not power up.
    what was your solution?
    It is at the dealer now, any help you an give iw greatly appreciated.
    Thank You Very much
    Jon