Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Prius Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• kooshiakooshia Member Posts: 3
    Had the new Prius one week. It is a good car, but I was driving a tuned 300hp WRX wagon so I miss the excess power. It was a great car, but it got totalled giving its life for my wife. The Prius is quiet, crisp handling, and has adequate power. It has its own fun-trying to milk a gallon of gas for best mileage. At least get package 1 with the VSC and backup camera. Keeping the car key in my pocket is good too. Can't lock it in the car that way. Extra window tint is good in a car with this much glass. I wish the backup camera worked without putting the vehicle in reverse. I hate breathing the poisonous PVC molecules (new car smell). Would have liked to get the phone set up package for the future, because the self-righteous nannies are working to get cell phones banned. What they don't know, they can't end, right?
  • snappycappysnappycappy Member Posts: 4
    Purchased 6 August 2007. Odometer at 2800 miles. Average gas mileage 55 mpg so far. Love this car! Two complaints, however. #1 Drivers seat comfort. Kills my back on long trips. Ok for around town. Wish it were adjustable. #2 Car bangs around on the highway, particularly in the wind or when passing a semi-tracker trailer.
  • kmovvakmovva Member Posts: 5
    200 miles only so far. Bought a 2008 Touring package 6. I drive a bmw 328i, and wife has a bmw 530i. So far this cmmuter car has been a surprise. Can I throw it around a corner like a 3? Tried to and scared myself. So i only tak eturns at 50mph. I see about 49mpg. And I tend to accelerate and brake a lot. A little slow off the mark at traffic lights. Leather seats are ok, but I really miss lumbar support and finer adjustments you can make with power seats. I am confused about tire pressure - the 16" wheels - the door says 36/32, I see a post here about setting it to 42/40? And the car when I brought it home, and let it rest overnight, still was over 40psi in all tires.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Congrats on your purchase. The tire pressure question is a personal one. The factory pressures are as you note but many if not most drivers inflate to just below the max in order to get less rolling resistance. It does give a harder ride though.

Your preference.
  • slimcatslimcat Member Posts: 1
    We have 5000 miles on our 2007 prius and have only a couple of complaints. Had the drifting to the left problem initially and it took the dealer 3 attempts to get it fixed. OK now. Very happy to be getting 44-46 mpg combined city and 50 mile commute to work and back. Don't really understand how anyone gets over 50 unless they are freeway driving 55 miles per hour which doesn't make sense. We only get 17 mpg in our PT Cruiser GT turbo. We will probably buy a 2009 if the rumors of 95mpg are even close to correct. Hopefully by then Toyota will have decided to add more features like heated seats, automatic door locks and power seat controls
  • akollerakoller Member Posts: 15
    Glad to hear you like your Prius. I've not had this much fun with a car for quite a while. I now have 13,500 miles on it and have discovered that the local dealer did something (??) at the 10,000 mile checkup that LOWERED my average mileage from nearly 51 to under 48 with no other change in driving habit, gasoline, etc. I can't understand that, but if anyone has any ideas about what they've done and how to get back to my initial, right-on-target, terrific mileage, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Al Koller
  • snappycappysnappycappy Member Posts: 4
    I have about 3500 miles on my Prius, 2000 of which are highway miles. My average MPG if I take the Odometer reading at gas-up, add up total gallons of gas purchased to date, and divide, I am averaging 54 MPG. It was up as high as 55.2 when I was on the road. I live in Chicago so I do a lot of stop and go driving. I am expecting that my MPG will drop over time as I will not be doing much highway driving until next September. I drive at 70 miles per hour on the highway, try not to make sudden starts or stops, and coast when I can. I have had no problems with "pulling to the left". Also, I want to point out that the computer on the car is NOT accurate for MPG.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    To get better mileage stay off the freeways. The Prius gets very good mileage on 50 MPH roads. You also have to learn to be very gentle on the accelerator peddle. Accelerate normally, but brake very gently, even trying to anticipate lights a block or more ahead.

But if you just drive it you will get nice mileage.

I presume by automatic door locks you mean the ones that lock after you reach some speed? Personally I don't need that, but whatever. I also don't need power seats, but more adjustments would be nice. Particularly a seat height adjustment. Also a lumbar lever would be nice. And a heated steering wheel. My rear end can take care of itself heat wise, but my hands can freeze very easily. Hard to drive with mitts on!
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It really needs fully adjustable seats with height and tilt adjustments.
    The lack of adjustment for thigh support has been a common complaint with the Prius since day one of this model.
    The poorly padded center armrest is another issue, but it could be fixed at a local upholstery shop.
    You will have to just live with the non-adjusting seat if you want to buy a Prius since there is no solution other than to buy a different vehicle.
    Maybe Toyota will finally address this with the redesigned 2009 model.
  • michaelcozensmichaelcozens Member Posts: 23
    We have had ours for 6 weeks and have 1500 miles on it. The mileage has been between 38-40 but if we worked on it I am sure it could be better. It is starting to get a little cooler too.We like the car alot, it could have adjustable seats but that is a minor issue for us. No mechanical adjustments needed yet and my wife is just in love with this car. The bluetooth for the cell phone is very impressive!
  • jim191jim191 Member Posts: 3
    DaveM7, have to agree except possibly Honda coming on strong in the next couple of years. My '08 Base Model Prius is an absolute delight. Avg. 54-56 mpg. city and 48 mpg. hwy. The computer screen really makes you aware of mpg. and how you can keep raising it. I should have gotten leather seats but other than that - fantastic!
  • sailorman4sailorman4 Member Posts: 10
    I travelled 1000 miles from Tampa to Falls Church, Virginia to get my Silver Prius with package #6. Truly love the car. I'm 72 and have owned 7 Mercedes and many different cars through the years. Most recently had a V-6 Highlander for 5 years which I sold to my best friend. People underestimate the Prius. I commute 70 miles round trip per day and find the power more than ample to go 75 to 85 miles per hour. With just 1200 miles on the car, I'm averaging 47 mpg. Learning to "coast" and be light on the pedal when I can. I think if our Government would reinstitute the tax credit for Hybrids and other alternative fuels we could solve our energy problems in America in 3 years. Can't say enough good stuff about Toyota.
  • prusaprusa Member Posts: 43
    Congratulations on your Prius! Did you get the Touring or Non-Touring Pkg. 6? I just got a call from FL. and they want me to come and sign the paperwork for a Touring Pkg. 6. I heard I have to pay 4% of my taxes there and the rest in GA. Is this some kind of a game? Why can't I pay the 7% Tax here? After all, I am registering the car in GA. Something fishy... don't know. I am still in the bargaining process.
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    There are a lot of states that collect their tax even if you are an out of state buyer. Then your state usually collects the difference. In some parts of CA you have to pay 8.25% even if you are an out of state buyer.
    Thanks for the information. It is good to know this. No car, yet. This car buying experience is really fun. I have dealers calling me, but they are not giving me a decent price. I will buy soon...I know this is a good time to buy.
    I forgot to ask you about the price you paid. Were you able to get a good deal in Virginia? If you don't mind....can you tell us the price you paid for your Prius Pkg. 6? I am visiting my sis in Dec. and will be driving by VA on route to NJ. If I can't come up with a good deal next week, I would check this dealer. Can you give me additonal dealer info? I appreciate this-
  • south4south4 Member Posts: 32
    Just read your message and wanted to mention that you can add heated seats yourself. I went through the dealer to do it, because they got a better price than I had gotten from the same place.In our town the installer can change fabric seats to leather, change out sound systems and install a mechanism to heat the seats. I told another Prius owner in town about my seats and he had them installed too. Your dealer can probably tell you who can do it.
    Prusa: When I looked for my Prius, there were no Silver cars with Package #6 in the Southeast Region. I went on the Toyota website and punched in zip codes for the mid Atlantic Region which I had from my Christmas card list. Three dealers in suburban Virginia showed up. I telephoned Bill Page Toyota in Falls Church and spoke to Yow. Terrific guy, no pressure. He had a Silver car with Package 6 which listed for $27,700. They gave me there no hassle price of $27,000. Yow picked me up at the airport. The car has virtually everything on it. Keep in mind, there are a lot more dealers in the Washington, D. C. area so they have to be competitive. In Florida there are fewer dealers and they play games. When I picked up the car, it had a temp. tag and I brought it home and registered it and paid the 7% sales tax in Tampa. It sounds like a lot of trouble to get a car, but I don't buy cars more often than every 5 years so it wasn't much of a hastle. I took the Auto Train home. The discount paid for the train and the flight up. Florida dealers like to "pack" their cars so be careful Or else they will offer you nothing for your trade. Good luck. Sailorman
    Excellent information! Bill Page Toyota have already contacted me. I will be getting their quote soon. Dealers in FL gave me a high price and so I am not buying from them. GA dealers are not of much help, either. When they see that I am a woman they all think I am ..... : I rather buy in another state than having to deal with these individuals. I really appreciate all your help. Thanks a bunch.
    Can you contact me instead? I went to view profiles and wasn't able to get through. Sorry-
    My email is in my profile.
    Thanks-
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We can't get into the buying and selling of vehicles on the forum.

If you want to contact someone in email off the forum, that's fine, but the discussion of any type of sales here is not permitted.

BTW... Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving! :)
    You asked that I contact you. What can I tell you that my earlier replies neglected to say. Will be happy to help.
    Prusa: Missed your message. Sorry. I got the Basic model with Package 6. I definitely wanted leather and I would highly recommend it. The seats are firmer with leather and easier to get in and out of the car. Why can't the dealer where you buy the car just issue a temporary tag for 30 days while you register the car in your home state? I borrowed the funds through Capital One in less than 5 minutes. They didn't even ask what kind of car I was buying. They overnighted the check to me and I could have skipped the counrty and gone to South America as far as they are concerned. Great to deal with if you have good credit. If you only buy cars once in a while, I would recommend you get it with Package #6 and you will have every convenience imaginable. Bluetooth phone, Navigation, HID headlights, etc. Go for it and good luck. If I can help, please feel free to ask.
    Sailorman
    I will take your advise. By the way, I always wanted leather seats. This will be my first car my them. I can't wait!
    In the last few hours, a couple of dealers have contacted me with decent prices. Taxes will be paid in my home state. I will make sure the dealer knows this. I read (in one of the previous posts) that the end of the month and the end of year are the best time to buy a car. It looks promising out there. I really appreciate all the support that this forum ( I mean you all nice people) have given me in the last month.
    Thanks sailorman4....
    PRUSA
  • tomlilly1tomlilly1 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought an '08 pkg 5 in classic silver that had just been delivered to dealership (watched it being unloaded off the truck) paid MSRP. I did get what I wanted for my trade-in. Northside Toyota (Chicago) offered 6yr/75k extended warranty for $1250.00 negotiated down to $780.00. My credit union offers 7yr/80k for $870.00. I only put on about 7k per year. Not sure which one to go with or at all. Any advice?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    None. You will have the hybrid battery (which is what most people are scared about) covered the entire time by the factory warranty, 5 year power train warranty and the Prius is rated one of the most trouble free cars you can buy and you are not driving many miles.
    None of those choices make sense.
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    I agree with jaxs1. I have a 2004. While there have been a slightly annoying number of recalls or TSB's, my local dealer, who I did NOT buy the Prius from, has been great. They take care of the issues and they lend me a rental or shuttle me where I want to go and usually upgrade the software at the same time. I change my own oil so the only money I've paid them is for oil filters, air filters and washer fluid. They are absolutely great. (Bighorn Motors in Glenwood Springs, CO)
    Thanks for the advice, decided not to buy extended warranty. Love this car!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks hybrid drivers. Please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 14, 2007.
  • nmerrillnmerrill Member Posts: 6
    I am going to a foreign country with questionable roads and car service. I wanted to buy a Prius as my next vehicle but it was recommended that I get an SUV for Egypt because of roads. What do the Prius owners think about rough roads. Gas is much cheaper in Egypt
  • south4south4 Member Posts: 32
    I think my Prius is low to the ground and not great over rough roads. We use a Subaru outback for that-it's higher off the ground and has had no problem getting us to off road hiking drop offs. It also gets pretty good mileage. I would personally not take my Prius.
    Good luck in Egypt.When I was there it was incredibly hospitable.The people were fantastic.It was17 years ago and their views on us have changed, but I have great memories.
  • florida_wenflorida_wen Member Posts: 29
    A vehicle like a RAV or even a Honda CR-V is more on the lines of what you need. "Decent" fuel economy but high ground clearance !!
  • bluescooterbluescooter Member Posts: 2
    I've owned my 2008 "bluescooter" (what my wife has nicknamed it) less than a week now. However, in 6 days I’ve put > 1400 miles on the odom and have to admit that the fuel economy – especially when compared to my old pickem-up-type truck - is mind boggling...

The bluescooter is a fully loaded touring Prius in Spectra Blue Mica with all of the widgetry and gizmos; minus headrest DVD players and a sun/moon roof. The sheer leap in technology alone makes me smile every time I man the wheel. It is truly fun to drive. :shades:

A few questions:
    1. Has anyone installed a sun/moon roof? What was/is its net effect on your mpg (if any)?
    2. Why is the fuel tank monitor set to ~8.75 gallons when the gas tank (supposedly) holds 11.9?
    3. What tips do you have for getting the most mpg (short of driving 25 mph on the freeway…)?
    4. I have kids, so… Has anyone tried the headrest DVD players? If so, how do you like them and what is your cost-2-value perception of them? And lastly,
    5. Is there a way to access POI and other items after your moving? Perhaps an aftermarket item?

It was somewhat frustrating for the spousal-unit during the drive…

Thx in advance for the insights and… Great site!!

- - Bluescoot - -
    Tips for driving...
    1) Don't baby it. Just accelerate up to normal speed as you would with any vehicle ..then let off the pedal. You'll see the indicator shoot up to 100 mpg. Try then to hold that as long as possible. Repeat as necessary.

2) Anticipate, anticipate, anticipate. If you know that you'll have to slow down or stop let off the pedal as early as possible while being safe. This turns the gas engine off. Helllloooo no fuel being burned.

3) In your local neighborhood where the speed limit is probably 25 mph.. Do it. Keep a light touch on the pedal and you might be able to drive as much as a mile or two using no fuel.

3) Coast whenever possible. Keep the tires inflated.

4) Avoid short trips like the plague!!!! Combine errands into one longer trip,

LOL.... Live in San Diego or South Fla.

I don't think you can install a moonroof due to the antenna in the roof for the SKS.

I normally drive using the mileage shown on the Display. When the mileage shown is 10 times the fuel economy rating I look for a station and usually fill 9.5-10.5 gallons. ( 450 mi and 45 mpg being shown ).
  • bluescooterbluescooter Member Posts: 2
    Thx kdhspyder!

So the 11.9 gallon tank is correct, huh? Interesting. Twice I let it go down to flashing and then drove +10 miles before getting gas. Both times I topped off @ 3 gallons left in the ol' bluescooter; or 135 miles in reserve. (So much for the palpitations over getting stranded sans gas!)

The dealership I bought from has a moon roof installer that claims they can reroute the nav system and install the roof with no affect; on the nav system or mpg. I'm talking with them this PM about it.

Thx again.
  • pogacsapogacsa Member Posts: 2
    I have been trying to get a 2008 Prius Touring with Option 2 in silver pine mica color in the new york region and I was told by 3-4 dealers that it does not exist... or they cannot get it. According to my info from the factory it does exists...
    Does anyone know how to get one here in New York?

Thanks!">
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    If you read the fine print on the Toyota website or in the brochure, it will say certain options and option packages are not available in all regions of the US. Toyota has 12 regions, so you may need to have a dealer trade from another region (or go yourself) to obtain what you want. I know that the New England states are in a different region and so is my area (Virginia), which is part of the Central Atlantic region. I believe PA is in a different region as well, separate from NY/NJ.
  • trofrnktrofrnk Member Posts: 4
    at this point there are 14500 miles on my 2007 prius. Since my last oil change and the onset of the minnesota winter, the mileae has gone down to an average of 34 overall. This has put me under the number i needed the car to get to justify the price. As for as my overall satisfaction wit the rest of the car, I'm unsure also. From my perspective, I really don't need a back up camera, smart key, or even electric windows. I like the stability control. I don't like the way the car looks. I hate to say it, but i think i'll sell it. The car I will drive is a 1999 cavalier z-24 that is slightly modified. It has a manual trans, and a high compression 4 cyl that I built. The only problems are that it won't pass an emmission test, and it starts hard, requires 2 batteries. but it'll get 48 mpg on the highway,and leave black marks in five gears ( but not simultaneously). Guess i'm just too much redneck for the prius
  • richardyerichardye Member Posts: 5
    Hi Al: I have similar experience after the first oil change at a local Toyota dealer. The gas mileage was reduced from 54 mpg to about 46 mpg. Did you find out what caused the reduction? It's deep winter now in Chicago, and I got 42 mpg from the Prius. It could be weather-related, but I have to say that when the car came new in March, it was also cold and it ran 56 mpg on the first two tanks of gas. Any comments will be appreciated.

Richard
    Have you been keeping an eye on tire pressures ?? Cold weather will "lower" the P.S.I. as well as just time. We found we have to check tire pressure every three weeks or so on our Prius. Once it lost over 10 P.S.I. per tire in just a short period of about four weeks, thus the gas mileage suffers terribly !! The "sensors" never indicated a loss of air pressure.... figure that one out ??
    If the tires really lost 10 psi over 4 weeks, then either your tires or valves are leaking or your gauge is inaccurate. It would take a 100-degree drop in temperature to equal this loss of pressure.
    It may have been closer to five weeks, but even so I know that is quite a bit of air loss. Here in Florida we had quite a drop in temperature, NOT 100 degress, but it turned colder by maybe 25 - 30 degrees. We are running 38F / 36R and it indeed was 28 - 29 lbs. per tire when I read the tire pressure 4 - 5 weeks after I put those pressures in. I too thought that was an extreme loss, especially for such a new vehicle (late 2007) and we have been keeping an eye on the tire pressures every two weeks..... so far just minimal loss of a pound or two which is what I expect to be "normal". We have quite a lot of Railroad tracks we are constantly crossing down here, that are in pretty rough and bumpy condition. Even if taking them slow (can't slow down too much or we'll get rear-ended) most of the time, I believe these RR crossings beat the heck out of the tires, thus causing air loss....
  • sergelbergeronsergelbergeron Member Posts: 138
    I bought in October my second Prius a 2008 package 5. We had a 2005 for my wife and now the 2008 for myself. Why the second - we loved them so much. I was waiting for the new design - new batteries etc, but that is taking time - too much time - I traded my Lincoln LS 2001 and bought the 2008. So we love the car. I love the fact that I am saving about 5 tonnes of CO2 a year. Less green house gaz. I checked and drove the Camry ( better ride) and looked at all the other hybrids ( I am not buying any non-hybrids in the future). So I checked others and thought that the Prius is better technology, good vehicle , fair price ( in the USA anyway not Canada) and I will get excellent value for at least 8 years. So that's my story - the kids laugh at us - 2 cars Prius - are you going to start wearing the same clothes they ask. For me, this is the best car and also for the environment and my kids.
    co-founder of www.carswithoutborders.com
  • skb78skb78 Member Posts: 4
    This is a question for anyone who uses an E-Z Pass in their Prius, I've heard that certain makes/models of cars utilize a certain kind of windshield glass which prevents "reading" of the traditional E-Z Pass (the kind that attaches to the inside of the windshield); in these cars, an E-Z Pass sticker on the outside of the windshield is necessary. I thought I had heard that in earlier Prius models, the exterior sticker was necessary. I'm planning to buy an '08 and was wondering if the regular (interior) E-Z Pass will work or if the exterior sticker is necessary.
    I've got the VA version, Smart Tag, and it works fine just like any other vehicle. I've used my Smart Tag all up and down the E Coast with no problems.
    When it gets bitterly cold here, 20 degrees and below, the passenger seat squeeks pretty loudly. I believe it may be the DVD nav unit below the seat. It makes noise whether the seat is occupied or not. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I have E-Z Passes in my late-model Camrys, and I'm virtually certain the Prius uses the same type of windshield glass. The problem windshields are those with metallic heating films, like Ford's "Insta-Clear" windshields that were available on the first-generation Taurus and Sable.

You should have no problems.
    I live in Cornwall Ontario - it is below 20 most of the time now in January. I don't hear any special noise from any seats. Some times I get a small squeek in the 2 coffee cup holders if they are open and have something in them - but no noise when they are closed.
    If you imported a Prius from the USA into Canada - you probably know the federal government will not allow the $2,000 federal ecoAuto rebate. We have started a petition to document these cases and fight this injustice - Prius bought in Canada $$2,000 - Prius bought in USA imported to Canada $0.00.
    Please register your case and help join the fight at:
    http://www.carswithoutborders.com/get-involved/ecoauto-rebate-state-your-case/

:)