Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Prius Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• mickeyrommickeyrom Member Posts: 936
    I'm not crazy about that either,but from what I read,the bladder is a necessary evil.It keeps gas vapors from building up so close to all that electrical power.Sort of like self sealing gas tanks in WWII fighter planes.Ironically the Japanese did not have these,so their planes became flamers.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    If memory serves, vintage Corvettes also used fuel tank bladders -- maybe the 1963-67 Sting Rays?
  • oldsargoldsarg Member Posts: 21
    On a car quality scale of 1-10, I rate the Prius about a 3-4. It does not have the quality of a Lexus nor the quality of many upscale American, German, etc., made cars. Many on this blog tout the Prius as the savor of mankind. That is an uneducated mind set. I bought the Prius for the good gas mileage only. I have driven over 1 million miles in the past 20-30 years in four different parts of the world. I save a lot of money driving the Prius. The Prius is a small car and should be driven slower and with care.

As for the recent hype about problems with the Prius, several questions must be asked. First: Was the driver of the blue Prius trying to promote a scam and who is helping him to do that? Second: Are the models that are having problems made in the USA (versus Japan) and are the suspect parts made in China? Third: Are the media and unions behind the blitz to discredit Toyota? Fourth: Are the drivers that are reporting problems good drivers and knowledgeable about the mechanics of an automobile? Fifth: What modifications are being done to the cars (that are touted on this web site)?

In conclusion, is the Prius a great car? The answer is no. Is it a good car that gets good gas mileage? That answer is yes.
    All the Priuses are built in Japan,at least through the 2009 model.Not sure about the 2010.

Depends how you define as "great".It is great as far as it does what it's designed to do.In other words,it's a great economy car,with lot's of features that go beyond the econobox expectation.
  • carolb777carolb777 Member Posts: 6
    First of all, you say it is a good car but only rate it at a 3..A 3 is a crappy car. Secondly, the cars you are comparing it to are luxury cars.The Prius is not a luxury car. If you call the Prius a good car , on a scale of 1 -10, you should at least give it a 5 :)
    I love my Prius. :blush:
    I find it strange that suddenly all these problems are popping up. Personally, I think a lot of it is BS propaganda to get us to buy US made cars... ;)
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Lets hope they never have to put that on your headstone. I think there is a lot to it. People for years have been told by Toyota that nothing is wrong with their cars and Toyota people for some reason think Toyota's are made by god. Now that we are finding out about the back stabing company people are finally waking up to the fact their piece of junk isn't because of driver error but Toyota error and lying to the public. :lemon:
    I suppose it's worth noting to Carol that you're a disgruntled ex? Toyota owner.

My 2 older Camrys have been bullet-proof, and I'm not worried about this alleged "sudden acceleration."
  • snowboarder4snowboarder4 Member Posts: 42
    After the recent 911 calls concerning sudden acceleration, I drove my Prius to work a couple of times and decided to test shifting my vehicle into NEUTRAL. I consistently find that bumping the joy stick toward the steering wheel shifts the transmission smoothly into NEUTRAL. Therefore, I do not understand why anyone experiencing bursts in acceleration have any problem regaining control of the Prius. All of the professional vehicle operators with whom I work are mystified that anyone would decide to dial 911 and ask a dispatcher how to control a car rather than shifting gears to NEUTRAL or using the retarder on the Prius to allow the engine to serve as a braking mechanism. None of us would ever get on a telephone to regain control our vehicles in an emergency situation ~ any of us would be fired from our jobs for such a decision. On a daily basis, all of us encounter near-miss accidents because of people in cars talking on cell phones, failing to use turn signals, illegally passing, tail-gating, speeding, running stop signs, and spinning-out on snow around our vehicles. Pick-up trucks, and their operators, are reportedly the most deadly class of vehicles on roads in the United States. I would remove pick-ups and all-wheel-drive SUVs from our highways, especially those with Texas license plates, before I would start worrying about the alleged safety hazards of the Prius.
    Did you catch the part where he claimed on the 911 call he was afraid to shift into neutral because the car might "flip?" And he allegedly belonged to a Corvette driver's club? This guy is a fraudster of the highest order; more here.
    To play the devil's advocate,may it not be possible that this is an electronic problem and therefore the electronic shifting mechanism might not work?The tests you are running,I have done the same tests on mine,are on a normally functioning car and why would they not work?
    Meanwhile we continue driving our little terror,and hoping for the best.At the very least,hopefully the stop button might work,although that is electronic too....something to think about,nes pas? :sick:
    If it's such a "little terror," why not dump it? My son has a 2006 Prius and thinks this whole thing is overblown. He's not worried to say the least.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited March 2010
    If you slap the lever into neutral the engine actually stops in a 2010 Prius and you start coasting. Also you can press the start button for 3 seconds and the engine will shut off.

So if people are saying that NEITHER of these actually separate electrical functions worked for that one time, and cannot be replicated to fail thereafter, by anyone, ever... .....pardon my personal skepticism.

I do feel the weird braking sensations are real, and correctable, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 2010 Prius to anyone. I think they are brilliant cars. As a driving enthusiast, I don't prefer them, but it wasn't advertised as a sports car.

VISITING HOST
    Seems like Republicans hate this car,but I cannot imagine why.
    Easier said than done.Unfortunately I did not do my homework until after I bought the car.I had no plans to buy one,but my wife fell in love with this one ....and that was the end.
    Mr Host,Respectfully,you are missing the point of my post.I know these things will work in a normally functioning Prius.That is a given....but since the entire electronic system is interconnected,will any of these solutions work when you really need them.i.e.while the Prius is in a UA mode.
    PS I hope I never find out for myself :(
    The idea that the brakes, the start button and the throttle controls and the shift lever over-ride will ALL fail ALL at once, and then never, ever be reproducible, is....well...unbelievable to me.
    It is a cheap car that gets good mpg but since there is NO AMERICAN CONTENT it is a FOREIGN MADE CAR that provides NO american jobs thus no reason for any party, Dems or REpublicans to favor it.
  • dgr124dgr124 Member Posts: 9
    Got mine last summer. It is NOT in the league of Lexus, or German luxury cars. Why a previous poster would make that comparison is beyond me. It is a very interesting car. I easily get in the 50s MPG. (Currently reads 57.2) But lower in cold winter. I have had no braking issues. Has been taken in for the recall reprogramming. Took it on interstate at 70. Kept foot on accelerator. Slid shifter to neutral. Car and engine slowed down. Even with foot depressing accelerator. Again was going 70. Kept foot on accelerator. Depressed brake. Again car slowed down. Did same thing with pressing start button for several seconds. Car slowed down. So at this point feel very comfortable with the car. Roomier than it looks. It was not meant to be a luxury/sports car! Ford has Fusion hybrid, but that is the old but tweeked Toyota version. Looked at it, but costlier and less mpg and no folding rear seats.
  • stonewall2007stonewall2007 Member Posts: 3
    Since August 2007, and each & everyday as I drive my 2007 TOYOTA Prkius, I become guarded by immediate squeeezing the steering wheel and by applying extra pressure to the brake pedal because of my near death experience while driving sandwiched between a 16-wheeler truck in front of me, a CADILLAC SUV on my bumper at a steady speed of about 60mph along acurving two-lane Georgia' Highway #121 when the 2007 PRIUS suddenly accelarateda towards 80mph that would have rammed the rear-end of the 16-wheeler If I did not ride and maintain maximum pressure on the brakes. At such speed, I feared the on-coming cars from the right passing lane of traffic and feared the roadside gutters off-road left. So I held on for dear life checking for a safe exit in front of me and hoping the CADILLAC SUV would get off my rear bumper as I road the PRIUS' brakes. With luck, a "trafic god" allowed me a road view ahead an opening & off-road right of two roadside Trash Dumpster that I successfully made an exit and stopped. As I pushed the TOYOTA Prius Stop-button, I still remember the whine sound of those two front-wheeled Hybrid Electric motors as I saw smoke streaming over the front hood. That's when i bailed out of the Prius. A witness stop to assit me upon seeing that I was removing my luggage and travel kit. AAA Auto was contacted to arrive and towed the TOYOTA Prius about 45 miles back to the original TOYOTA Dealership/Service Center that five(5) days later issued me its Service Invoice that read..."Carpet-Mat causedd the accelarator pedal to become stuck.
    So I have been "stonewalled" since 2007 by TOYOTA. I hope that TOYOTA CORP will provide restitution to others and me that have experince TOYOTA's coverup of its "electronic glich" from serveral years past!
    That is a horrible experience.I have two questions.Are you still driving this same Prius and did pushing the on/off button really shut the motor off? It was not clear on that point from your narrative.
    edited March 2010
    I only pushed the TOYOTA PRIUS' Stop-button after an exit safely in a space near two roadside Trash Dumpsters. A complete stop did not occur as I maintained my 230lb frame of foot pressure on the brakes, that seem like a lifetime, and until I pressed the PRIUS' Stop-button. Only then did the whine sound of those Hybrid electric motor stop. Yes, I am still driving and own this 2007 TOYOTA PRIUS because I could not afford another car but I did request from TOYOTA CORP a replacement for this one, but I got stone walled with their "carpet-mat" solution!
    2007 PHOTOS: Showing position of "Carpet-Mat" & Foot on Gas-Pedal & Brakes available.
    Yeah,that carpet-mat thing is pure BS.I realize the bad position you were in to stop betweeen the truck and the Caddy,but do you feel that pushing the on button would have stopped your engine?
    How many miles do you have on that 2007?
    I think I would consider a law suit if mine does this to me,but of course,they all don't,so I hope for the best.
    MICKEYROM: Under my circumstances, I was ridding the brakes, that at the moment seemed like a lifetime just to maintain a safe distance from the 16-Wheeler truck in front of me. I was to scared at the time to even consider pushing the PRIUS' Stop button! As of today, this 2007 PRIUS' odometer reads about 28,700 miles. As of today, the news report about getting NASA involved just highlights the disadvantage that owners of TOYOTA' car that experienced accidents or problems, had to faced in order to scientifically prove that a PRIUS "computer-glitch" DOES exist! Are you the owner of a TOYOTA Prius and what is its model year?
    edited March 2010
    Yes I do own a Prius.It's a 2007 model with approx. 46-47K on it's odometer.
    I only asked if you had tried to push the stop/start button,or put it in neutral, because IMO if it is in fact a computer problem,those things would probably not work since it's all electronic.I have yet to read where some owner had the UA happen, and did the the Neutral or stop button thing successfully.
    Are you still driving the same car? I suspect that not all of the Priuses have this problem,which makes it more difficult to diagnose.If I were you I would completely remove the floormat so that they could not blame that should ,god forbid,that happen again.Clearly that glitch exists in your car.I would not drive it,except to to trade it in.It may be dormant,but it's still there.
    I don't think they are going to find the problem, NASA or no NASA, because statistically speaking they would have to test the car repeatedly for about 10 years to eliminate the "one in a million" odds of a multi-system failure that defeats all the redundancy and defaults and fail-safes that Toyota built into the electronics.

Right now, my opinion is that IF there is a way to cause unintended accleration (and there might very well be) that the drivers do not use the fail-safe systems properly to control it.
  • avucarguyavucarguy Member Posts: 56
    As an owner of an 07 Prius with over 64K+ miles and no problem with it. I am still having a hard time believing people claiming SUA with their Prius. As stated by another poster, I tested different scenarios on how to slow my Prius down with my foot on the gas and brake peddle at the same time, no problem. How to put the car into neutral while it is moving, no problem.
    I find it interesting that some of these people claiming these problems has just recently join Edmunds . I believe Toyota when they say they cannot duplicate the SUA problem. With NASA involved and if they cannot duplicate the problem, what will these skeptics say, Toyota have NASA paid off too?
    Too bad I am not in the market for a car right now. If I was, I wouldn't mind buying another Toyota due to the good discount they are currently offering now. I wish the deals were this good when I bought my Prius back in 11/06.
    Well considering how much money NASA gets, or used to get, and how rigorous their testing was for moon shots----think about the bugs they never found, either.

I'd like to see someone who's an expert in risk management, who could calculate from the number of Priuses sold, and the number of miles driven, and the age of the vehicles, and the number of "somewhat" substantiated incidents....exactly how much risk there is here.

I guess my point is that there may be a level of risk in life that has such low odds, that it is not worth defending against---or is even indefensible against.
  • south4south4 Member Posts: 32
    I'm interested in this thread,because while I have not had the problem of acceleration that's out of control I have had my car rev for no reason.It never happened in the first year-only sometime in the second year did I notice it. I asked the service manager about it and he shrugged his shoulders and said not to worry about it.It was long before the acceleration publicity so I shrugged it off too.It happened on the highway once or twice,but was momentary.It has also happened with the car in park in my driveway.It's rare-maybe 5 times total in about 2 1/2 years. Has anyone else had engine revving as opposed to the pedal sticking?
    Holy Mackerel! My 2007 has not done that...yet.If it does,the service manger will never get away with a shrug.Is your car under any kind of warranty?
  • justlooking9justlooking9 Member Posts: 21
    Overall I'm happy with my Prius, which replaced a minivan and I don't miss the minivan. Prius issues:
    1. Brakes (we all know about), pot holes, railroad tracks, any slippery conditions etc.
    2. Poor visibility when backing up.
    3. Sometimes the XM radio is choppy and only clears after restarting the car.
    4. XM radio is hard to find stations like specific sports games.
    5. Navigation is a pain to configure destinations, I end up using a Garmin which can be configured quickly while the car is in motion.
    6. Heated seats buttons are inconvenient for the driver and cannot be seen by the front passenger.
    7. Sun visor does not extend far enough when used against the side windows.
    8. I've never achieved 50MPG and the onboard computer shows around 2MPG greater that what the MPG ends up as. I typically get 43-45 in winter, 45-49 in the summer.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you own a Toyota, live in LA or Orange County, CA and have a favorite story about your car, please email your daytime contact information and year/make/model to jfallon@edmunds.com.
  • mattemma06mattemma06 Member Posts: 2
    We bought a 2010 Prius last year.

It gets good miles on gas.Finally up to 51mpg. Other than the gas savings I would not buy this car again.The paint job is horrible.I have nicks down to the metal,and scratches all over my car.Never had this damage issue with other cars so early. Do not like the braking system. Any little bump in the road and the car jolts forward giving a loss of control sensation.This is same before and after the Toyota computer fix.

I would not recommend this car to anyone if they asked me what I thought of it.
    I have not experienced any of your problems in my 2007 model.Maybe you should get an older one :)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the Toyota Prius who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, November 20, 2010 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• jhinscjhinsc Member Posts: 399
    I am very impressed so far, averaging approx. 50 mpg - we'll see how it does after a few more tanks of gas. It scoots along when needed, but I mostly drive it in ECO mode, which took an adjustment at first. I'm surprised at how quiet it is compared to my previous 08 Honda Accord. It also feels like I'm going slower than the speedo indicates, but I'm going with the flow of traffic.

You have to wonder about all the hype earlier this year about the sudden accelleration problems with the Prius and various other Toyota's. Where are they now? If it's still a hazard, there would still be reports of it happening. I do believe there were incidents of runaway cars, but the floormats have been deemed the culprits. What is it about "shifting it into neutral" that's so difficult to understand? Not once during one of these runaway reports did a a driver said they did that - hmmmmm. That's my commentary.
  • dan19dan19 Member Posts: 10
    Just bought a 2010 Prius V with the Technology Package. Bought from a Ga dealer 200 miles away. On my trip home to TN, on two occasions, while traveling 70 mph, dynamic radar cruise control on, lane keep assist on, the vehicle suddenly braked. Both times I was passing a semi-tractor/trailer rig on a slight right curve. I understand how the pre-collision avoidance system could be a cause if I was on a sharp left turn. But this was on a slight right curve. I'm taking it to a dealership today. Has anyone else had this issue? I know there aren't many Priuses with the Tech Package. I'm confident that one of these tech features failed to operate as intended.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just a gut feeling that the pre-collision system IS the cause. It sounds a bit silly to say it this way, but I'd bet the system THOUGHT you were getting into a dangerous position and acted lke it thought it should. I'm not a real big fan of something driving the car other than the driver. Anytime you tell someone that the car is going to do something for them, they tend to think they don't have to worry about that anymore. The prime example is daytime running lights. Drives me absolutely nuts seeing cars running around at night with DRL's on as if they are headlights. :sick:
  • dan19dan19 Member Posts: 10
    The Prius technician believes that the likely cause was the dynamic cruise control. Suggested using the lowest sensitivity of the three. He could find no issues with the sensors; there were no codes recorded. Service manager noted that the owners manual states that dynamic cruise control should not be used on winding roads. He was trying to blame me! I doubt if anyone would consider interstate 24 between Atlanta and Chatanooga to be a winding road. I took the car on a test drive on the interstate and could not replicate. So, perhaps this is an acceptable "fix". I'm taking a trip next week. That will be the real test.
  • nanabeananabea Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a 2007 Prius. I have read some of the discussion about this vehicle and would like to get other's opinion. This car has 50,000 on it. I don't know what the asking price is yet. Would this be a good car to buy?
  • carolb777carolb777 Member Posts: 6
    ;) I love my 2007 Prius, Gas mileage is great. Drives like a dream in the snow and ice. My husband who is 5'11 finds it a little uncomfortable to drive on a long trip but i am a shorty and I love MY car.. we have had NO problems with it and we bought it used also...it did not have as many miles on it as the one you are looking at though. I think ours had some where around 34,000..not sure.. I would not hesitate to buy another...
  • stevegoldstevegold Member Posts: 185
    I have a 2004 Prius that I bought new. It has 60,000 and runs great.
    I am 6' 1" and have no problem in either front seat even on 600+ mile trips.
    Occasionally I sit in the rear which is fine but when I'm in front, with the seat all the way back, it does make it tight for whomever is in back of me.
    There have been a number of annoying TSB's but they all have been done at no cost to me.
    My major complaint is a lack of power after 5 minutes on long, steep, straight, uphill mountain climbs when I can't keep up with the traffic going 80mph. That's because the great battery boost is limited to about 5 minutes in those circumstances. The 2010 and 2011 would do better. Also, I live in snow country and need a 4WD sometimes so I use my wife's car in a blizzard.
    It had 39,000 miles,and now it's over 52,000. :surprise:
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    I bought an '07 last summer and it's been great. I'd say to make sure you test drive a few of them around for awhile. It took me a little getting used to the interior layout, but after the initial period of having nothing in front of the steering wheel to look at, and after getting used to the controls on the central display, I really like it. Plus I figure that we're going to save at least $1000/year in gas, so that helps!
  • snowboarder4snowboarder4 Member Posts: 42
    I am loving my 2007 Prius. I bought my Prius with 7,000 miles from a dealership. After 5,000 miles from driving to trailheads for 30 Fourteeners last year and 30,000 total miles during the past few years of mountain driving, I have encountered absolutely no repairs. I do my own synthetic oil changes every 7,000 miles. I did buy a set of all-season tires to replace the factory originals for a bit better traction in snow. I have had no problems staying on the road through blizzards and commute to work at 4:00 AM, sometimes before the snowplows have made a cut. During every snowstorm, I average passing five AWD SUV and pick-up trucks in the ditch. The weight distribution and drive of the Prius on snow and ice is superior to many vehicles that I have driven in my lifetime, similar to a VW Rabbit. I am 6'2" and have never felt uncomfortable driving my Prius, including on 1,000-mile cross-country drives. My year-round average fuel economy is about 45 MPG with the heavier, stickier all-season tires.See story~ http://www.katu.com/news/business/17972184.html :)
    US hybrid sales up 38 percent in 2007
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is interested in talking with parents who own a 2012 Volkswagen Passat, Mazda 3, Chevy Cruze Eco, Honda Civic Hybrid, Chevy Sonic, Honda CR-V, Toyota Camry and Toyota Prius V. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 30, 2011 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.
  • subjectivesubjective Member Posts: 62
    This seems to me the only appropriate forum to post on. While out Tundra was serviced, the dealer service dept. loaned to us for two days a new 2011 prius with only 60 miles. An alert salesman warned us that if you touch the accelerator and brake at the same time, the Engine will shut off. Sure enough as my wife was backing out of a parking space into the road she was flustered when the engine shut off blocking traffic. It took about 5 minutes for her to get going again. I don't know when Toyota put this so called safety feature on the Prius, but I dont like it! I experimented with it and thats the way it works. Since I have a permanent leg injury in which I brake with my left leg and operate the accelerator with my right, I can see it very possible for me to be on a highway with trucks etc. and have a sudden dangerous loss of power. I think this "safety feature" by toyota opens more of a hazzard than without it.
    I agree with you but you are dealing with Toyota who think anything they do is right and the customer is always wrong. And only law suits convince them otherwise. :shades:
  • aghoshaghosh Member Posts: 21
    Must be a 2011 addition. I have a steep driveway and I press accelerator and brake simultaneously all the time to negotiate the incline. Never did the engine misbehave in my 2010 model.
  • jav7jav7 Member Posts: 2
    I will try that in my brand new 2011 Prius III. 500 miles on it @ 659.9 miles/g (on board computer)
  • jav7jav7 Member Posts: 2
    I meant 59.6 miles/g