Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Vibe Owners - Give Us Your Report

2»

Comments

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who recently purchased a new small or mid-sized car and either got great financing or cash back/incentives offered to them . If this is you, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number by Wednesday, October 8, 2008.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    sorry for your troubles vibeguy37. I now own two vibes. My '03 is an AWD, and I would NOT get another AWD. While it is true what you say about AWD and Canadian living, people in the lower 48 truely don't need it. I went with the base "Corolla-Vibe" due to the dramatic improvement in gas mileage over the "Camry-Vibe". The power in the modified 1.8 is very good. I agree with you that getting 20mpg in a Vibe is disgraceful. I encourage everyone to rethink getting the 2.4 liter engine. It is too bad the GT didn't have that option (nor the AWD for that matter.) We have 105,000 miles on the '03 Vibe. The build quality was crap, as was the paint. But despite all the now ugly imperfections, plus the fact that it burns oil like crazy, the car continues to run. Underneath there somewhere is a Corolla that refuses to quit. My '09 is a fabulous car. Build quality is 10 times better than the previous version and comes with a lot of safety features, all while being cheaper in price. I only wish my base model had some additional creature comforts such as the radio controls on the wheel, sunglasses holder, and one more inch of legroom for the driver.
  • gmloyal60gmloyal60 Member Posts: 5
    I have 2,000 miles on my new 2009 AWD Vibe and I'm getting the EPA estimates of 20 and 26. I also own a 2006 FWD Vibe and get great mileage on it. I was hoping my conservative driving habits might yield somewhat better mpg on the '09AWD but I guess I was forewarned. My son has a 2003 AWD Vibe and still loves it. I drove it the other day and quickly noticed how much more "free wheeling" the older AWD model was. I don't know why there is this difference but my '09 has a lot more drag on it. It even will slow down on a level surface or a slight downgrade with my foot off of the accelerator! Is this the experience of others? I'd be interested in knowing.
    yep, you are right....it feels like a brake assist function, although I'm sure it is not. Sorry about your low mpg on the AWD. I knew that going in which is why I went (again) with the Corolla Vibe instead of the Camry Vibe. I have been getting 29 mpg in 90% city driving with my 09 automatic. Nice huh? I have been reading on genvibe.com about many '03 owners having tranny problems. I have 107,000 miles on mine, and have not had any major problems yet (a lot of minor problems to include mysteriously disappearing oil). As for the '09 Corolla Vibe, I had to replace the battery already. I got a higher cold cranking amp (550) Delco battery to replace the small Japanese 350 cca batteries they put in these Vibes. Other than that, the only design flaw I have found in the '09 is that the passenger side seat belt anchor rattles against the center console. You need to take a piece of female velcro and place it on the back side to act as a cushion when there isn't an occupant in the seat. I'm amazed how much more refined this latest version is over our 03. If the old one goes, I know what I'm buying next, that's for sure.
  • bills350bills350 Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a red AWD in December. Excellent car!! Drives well in the bad western PA ice and snow.

GM needs to add a remote start option to the Vibe.
  • bossman141bossman141 Member Posts: 56
    From what I can gather this seems to only be happening to my Vibe as neither the dealership service dept nor pontiac engineers can diagnose the problem.

When coming to a full stop, I can feel the car downshift and when the car finally comes to a full stop the tranny then drops into first and physically jerks the car. This is a 2.4 Auto BTW. No one can figure out the problem and have been told to basically drive the car till the engineers can figure out a fix.

I already have a call in to Pontiac and they have taken a report.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this. Dealer swears it's not the transmission but it sure feels like it to me.

Otherwise its a great car.
    Unless they are lying, I think everyone is experiencing the same thing. I have the '09 1.8 liter Corolla engine. I'm unsure whether the tranny is any different for the "Camry-Vibe" as it is the "Corolla-Vibe." You won't get any good answers out of your Pontiac dealer since they have been clueless about this car since the first Corolla-Vibe was built in 2002 (2003 model year). Either way, it is almost like a brake assist function, but is definitely the tranny downshifting. You should also feel it when you are giong around 50mph down a hill and tap your brakes. The tranny likes to downshift to help slow the car down. Good luck getting an answer from GM. I think they'd rather go out of business than help their loyal owners. I wish them well in that regard, which is why I own two Vibes (which means I own two Corollas). I can always get service and parts from Toyota should GM's "fantastic" business model finally drag them out of business where they belong.
  • bossman141bossman141 Member Posts: 56
    Thanks so much for the reply. So, you have the same problem? Have you taken the car in to the service dept. for the problem?

They basically just threw their hands up and left me hanging.

Is this normal on the vibes and corolla/camrys? I have a 2004 sienna and it does not down shift like this.

any further info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    No, I have not taken it in because I have heard the same story reported over and over on genvibe.com. It is a bit annoying to tap on your brakes while going downhill at 40 mph+ and have the tranny automatically assume you want some brake assist while it throws it into 3rd gear. As for my "service department", I'd rather trust my car to a chop shop in the slums of Calcutta before I'd every take my car to the dealer for service.
  • snackbarsnackbar Member Posts: 1
    Hello Vibeguy.

What RPM is the engine running at around 60 mph (or 100kmh) ?

Shocking as it may seem, I took an AWD out for a test run, and the engine was running about 4000 RPM at 60 mph (100K) in the shift position the dealer told us to use. We figured out the shifter has to be in the location to the right of D3 to let the tranny shift to 4th. Revs then dropped to 2400 or so.

Sales says this often happens , silly as it may sound. Makes a big difference to your mileage.
  • amphibious_oneamphibious_one Member Posts: 1
    i own a 2010 2.4 lit. AWD and i get 28 mpg all the time driving rural/highway....is this that uncommon? love my Vibe btw...
    that is pretty high gas mileage for a Camry Vibe. You must be doing a whole lot of highway driving.
    I get 30 mpg overall in suburban city driving with my Corolla Vibe. I chose the smaller engine for the gas mileage, and I'm still glad I did.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Alright! Finally someone who has a 1.8 L engine.
    I'm interested in buying a Matrix but can't decide on which engine 1.8 L or 2.4 L
    Is the 1.8 L powerful enough?
    My wife and I got to cross the U.S. and the Rockies once a year to go see our daughter, so it's going to be loaded with luggage after coming back home from that 6,000 miles trip it's going to be almost city driving.
    Is the Corolla engine as powerful or enjoyable as the Camry engine???? I think not.
    However, the current Corolla Vibe is significantly more refined and peppy than the first generation; I own both.
    Next question: is 20 mpg in the city as enjoyable as 27 with gas at $3 or more a gallon? The Camry engine is not efficiently mated to the Vibe. I find getting 20 mpg on such a small car an outrage in this day and age. I'm very glad I went with the Corolla engine. My car loves 85 mph on the highway (not gas mileage mind you), and is very quick off the line.
    You simply need to decide what is more important (mileage or power). If you don't mind throwing a lot of extra money away on gas, buy something other than the Camry Vibe. I really don't understand why people would buy such a small car on a Corolla platform (the Vibe), and then throw it all away on a Camry engine to kill your gas mileage. Unless you live in Montana and have laws that allow you to show off your sped, the cops are everywhere, and blowing away people on the road everywhere else is just not an option. If you live in the Rockies, I would recommend you buy a manual. While I always buy auto trannies, I live in the city and don't want to be shifting every 10 seconds.
    To end this rant: if you want power and a wagon, buy the larger Toyota Venza or even Rav-4 or Highlander. I laughed when they decided to put the Camry engine in the Vibe. Bulletproof engine for sure; but at the end of the day, the Vibe is still just a Corolla. Why sacrifice gas mileage on such a small car??
  • sleepydogsleepydog Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Vibe just over a year now. Approx 9K miles driven. This car is a "FUN" driver. Quick and agile. I love the electronic shift. Cruise control only works in "D" Drive. I drive this car rather aggressively within safe limits. Smooth on the highway, I catch myself cruising at 100 mph on occaision, oops! Great car!
    I don't see a problem with floor mats as the original mats have retainer clips that prevent movement. I have heavy GoodYear rubber floormats on top of original mats. Plenty of clearance for accelerator pedal. I see no problem here. Have not had any indication of "sticking" gas pedal. I think by now something would have happened. I'll remain vigilant. I also think GM is making a big mistake eliminating the PONTIAC Marque. They are wiping out a lot of automotive history here.
  • 29tomt29tomt Member Posts: 12
    We have a 2006 Vibe and the daughter has a 2005. I have noticed that both windshields seem to have scratches in the glass where the blade has traveled and the blades have been replaced every year with dealer units. Anyone else noticed this?

I have an RV and was wondering if the Vibe is a model that can be towed like a dingy with all 4s on the ground without killing the tranny? Thanks.
  • goateegoatee Member Posts: 51
    Have had our 09 AWD 2.4 for 15 months now, just about 20k mi. I know the roads are bad her as they are in most other areas of the country but I have just replaced my second bent rim in 3 months. They are the 17" chrome variety. Also now I noticed the stock Goodyears are pretty much worn down (yes they have been rotated per schedule) and the rt rear has a bulge in the sidewall. I will have spent well over $1000 in the last 3 months just dealing with the rims and tires alone. The 45 aspect ratio tires w alumium wheel combo just cant handle any adverse road conditions as you are basically driving on a very thin layer of air. Love the car but bad design here I feel will cost me plenty more in the months to come.
  • 29tomt29tomt Member Posts: 12
    As an update, found out that the Vibe has to be dolly towed. Pumps are driven by the engine. PS, they do make a pump deal that can be added but it cost more than the whole thing is worth to mess with.
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    edited June 2010
    In February 2010 I bought an 05 Pontiac Vibe, FWD, 1.8L, and in the last 4 months it has proven to be a wonderful car & workhorse. It gets 25 mpg around town and 31 mpg on the road. I use my Vibe for work, so the back seats are permanently folded forward and cargo area is always heavily loaded with tools and materials. It is great that the passenger front seat back folds forward and that the hatchback window opens, allowing me to carry a 10 foot step ladder with only about 18 inches sticking out the back window, and I can slide a 6 or 8 foot step ladder on top of the 10 foot step ladder (carry both ladders at the same time inside the Vibe). Or I can carry a 22 foot folding ladder in the back of the Vibe with the back window closed. This Vibe can really carry a lot and do a lot. It runs and drives great. Cruise 80 on the highway with no problem. I like this Vibe better than the Ford Explorer that I was previously driving. In fact, this Vibe is the best and most useful car that I have ever owned, and I have owned over 15 cars in my lifetime. I rate the Vibe a 10.
    E.D. in Sunny Florida
  • wwwdotjameswwwdotjames Member Posts: 1
    Im trying to install an aftermarket radio in my 2003 Vibe and I plugged the radio harness into the car harness it powers on the radio but there is not sound. The radio is about a year old and I tried 2 different harness thinking it was the harness. Is there something im missing to produce the sound? The original radio works fine when it is hooked up. In need of some direction!
  • stealth06stealth06 Member Posts: 2
    46 K miles , leather, moon and tunes package, gets 25 miles per gallon HIGHWAY!!! Help! Runs great smooth ride but my O4 with 220K miles gets 30 highway and 28 combined so i was shocked to see the lousy numbers on the 06.
    ANY ideas on what could be wrong!?
  • stealth06stealth06 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased this car new in 04 and have driven mostly highway miles 140/day commute, plus beach vacations, bike riding in the mountains and I love this car. plenty of room for hauling gear and with all those miles I have only replaced sparkplugs once, two batteries, one serpentine belt, front brake pads at 200K miles (rear are still good) and three sets of tires, everything else is original and works great!! my son will inherit this car when he turns 16 in two months and all I plan to do is change the plugs one more time!! This car is awsome! 30 mph at 85mph and I just bought a used 06 with 46K miles on it and the 04 outruns it (both have the 1.8l automatic)
    The 06 is in mint condition with leather and moon and tunes package, great ride but lousy gas milage, I am looking for any help with this area thanks
This discussion has been closed.