Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Navigation

Comments

• ajkorostajkorost Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003. I am talking about the trip part of the system, how it never matches with what I have actually driven time or mileage wise. But if you have noticed the same thing, maybe that is just what happens.
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    If I had to guess, I would say the error your seeing is in the DVD database itself, not the Navi system. The system uses the database to generate the route, and build an estimated time from that. If the database has errors, and they do, the estimated time will also have errors.

A new DVD may help, but I've found the updates focus on new road changes, but they do a poor job correcting errors for existing roads. I've caught quite of few obvious errors with the 2005 DVD that came with my 05 Accord, so I got a 2008 DVD. It had the same errors as the 2005. That was frustrating considering what they charge for the update!!!

Mrbill
  • surfsalterpathsurfsalterpath Member Posts: 20

....send it back and demand your $$$ back. They will never get it right unless we(you) demand simple satisfaction.

Quality product and customer service have derailed in today's society...and we have let it.
    I would have sent the DVD back if I was the one that did the purchasing. It actually was a birthday present, and I didn't want to insult the purchaser by asking for information so I could return it.

Mrbill
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Actually, ajkorost was talking about the trip computer part of the system and not the navigation part. The DVD wouldn't affect that.
    When the trip computer estimates the length of time for a route, it's basing it's calculations from stored data, which is on the DVD. If the DVD has errors, (and they do) that could effect the trip time the computer generates.

Yep, I'm guessing here, and to me, the error would be in the DVD. The GPS may be able to accurately generate a time "as the crow flies" but when you add in roads, the GPS would need to use the DVD. I don't think there would be any adjustment that can be made to the Navi system to correct an error like this?

Mrbill
    Interesting. I would have guessed that the trip computer was separate from the navi since there are vehicles that have a trip computer but no navi. I've never timed it, but I thought the elapsed time was based on the engine running and that the miles were from a separate odometer on the trip computer.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    No Hondas have it without Navi, do they? At least, in my generation, they didn't (Gen 7, '03-07).
    No, Hondas do not have a trip computer w/o navi but other cars do.
    I've never had a chance to play with one of the trip computers that wasn't part of a navi system. How do you enter your destination?

With the Accord navi, when you enter a destination, the navi will build and display multiple routes, all with different times and miles to travel. That's alot of data crunching, so I would think it has to be getting the data from the DVD.

Mrbill
    We're talking about two different things. The trip computer figures gas mileage. The display shows your instant mileage, cumulative mileage (since the last fill-up or whenever you reset it last), the range (miles you can travel with the current gas mileage you are getting), the miles you've travelled, and the time you've driven.

The OP was concerned that this display did not match his/her actual mileage or time driven.

The ScanGauge II is an example of an aftermarket unit you can buy for your car to provide this info.

You are correct in that the DVD supplies the navi system with all the map data.

Most aftermarket navi units (Garmin, etc) use computer chips to store that info and you update them by downloading data from a computer instead of using a DVD.
    OK, I agree with that. A basic trip computer is different. My thoughts were with the original posts (234-236?) he was having problems with the navi mileage being off.

As far as accuracy to the "trip computer" screen in the navi system on the Honda, when I refill my tank, I also reset the trip odometer. The trip computer and navi mileage on the tank agree within a 10th of a mile.

Mrbill
    I thought that was his/her original question too. He/she seemed to be talking about the trip computer after some clarification (post 240).

The odometer on the trip computer screen and my regular odometer are always off, but not by much.... more than .1 though.
  • steveyarcsteveyarc Member Posts: 1
    This also happened to me a few times and I updated my disc to a 2008 version from Alpine and it still happens. The dealer wants to send the system out for repairs but will not guarantee that this will work. furthermore, my POIs are way off as well. What do you think my best option would be?
  • deaner1971deaner1971 Member Posts: 4
    Have you asked what the repair price tag is? Replacement costs are VERY high so if they think they have a cheap solution, I'd say do it but if their solution is replacement, it isn't worth it.
  • ajg71283ajg71283 Member Posts: 11
    2009 Honda accords with navigation feature a trip computer which shows miles to empty, time traveled, average speed, average fuel economy and current fuel economy.
    Yup. Accords with navi have had the trip computer feature for a number of years.
  • ajg71283ajg71283 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for that info tallman. I just bought an Accord 2 weeks ago with the impression that it didn't have one but was pleasantly surprised to find it did. As an avid reader of Consumer Reports I noted that one of the two cons in their review was no trip computer (the other being road noise). I guess someone at CR needs to revise their review.
    Well, it is a lousy deal that there is no trip computer UNLESS you get navi. In this day and age it should at least be standard on the EX, IMHO.

Good luck with your new car and welcome to Edmunds!
  • 08accordusmc08accordusmc Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 accord/w navi and i did some research....you should be able to do this mod with your original screen... its only the reciever and antenna change im almost positive it will work and you will get acuralink as well.

http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691376
  • nightlingernightlinger Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2008 Accord without the navigation system. From the day I bought it, I
    hear stock phrases like "Ready", "Alright", "let's go." It is a voice chip sound that
    is the same and not some kind of radio interference. I don't kow what triggers the
    voice commands as they come sometimes when I open the car door and other times while driving. It sounds crazy and I can only imagine that the car has a voice
    chip that maybe has responses for the navigation system.
  • jonyrepjonyrep Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Accord Exl v6 with navi. Question: how do i get rid of old addresses?
    I have an 08 Accord Exl v6 with navi. Question: how do i get rid of old addresses?

Sorry I'm a little late... I have an 06 and the navi is a bit different but you can edit your address book by going into the setup menu. I think the address book is listed under something like "personal info". Look around and you'll find it.
  • hardinaccordhardinaccord Member Posts: 1
    I have been unable to figure out how to have my 2009 Accord navigation system find highway intersections consistently. It will find one highway or the other, but can't find their intersection. For example, in Houston, I cannot get it to find the intersection of I-10 and loop 610. If I start with I-10, it finds it easily, but then won't find 610. On the other hand, if I start with 610, it finds it right away, but then won't find I-10. It seems to have little trouble with residential street intersections, but great difficulty with highways. Any one else have this experience or know how to "talk" to it so it understands better?
  • falashanfalashan Member Posts: 22
    Is it possible to set a way point that is NOT in the POI's that are on the navigation disk?

In other words, I want to "go home" but also set a "way point" along the way to stop at another address that is NOT in the "places" categories in the system.

I have a 2009 Honda Accord.

Can it be done?

If so how?

Thanks
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    What's the latest navigation DVD update for an 06 Accord EX?
  • mercurialone1mercurialone1 Member Posts: 4
    When it is sunny out I find that I can't see the navi screen. Is there any way to adjust this or is there an add on that would help? I use it a lot and this is very bothersome.
    You can change brightness in the setup menu but with the sun shining directly on it, especially through the roof, it is going to be tough to see.

I don't find myself in that situation often (probably because I live in western Washington) but when I do, I usually just shield it with my hand when I need to look at the screen quickly.
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    Try hitting the volume up button on the steering wheel while it is in voice command mode. I find this adjusts the HFL when on a call, and most likely can adjust the nav prompts as well.

Just a guess as to what may help.
  • tj6968tj6968 Member Posts: 23
    I wonder when all cars will begin to have a navigation system in them regardless of what kind they are...

I sure wish mine had navigation.
    I have an 04 Accord Navi and really enjoy the system. That said, the portable units give it a good run for the money. What I don't like is your locked in technology wise. Just like buying a PC, a few years later you wish you had a newer model. There isn't updates to the whole system, just the database. I do like the bigger screen, and don't have to remove the system from my windshield every time I park my car.

I bought my girlfriend one of the wide screen Garmin units for the same price as the update DVD for my Accord. Yes, the screen is a little smaller, but I find it also easy to use, and the model I got her announces the name of the street, I wish my Accord did that.

Mrbill
    You can buy a great NAV system for under $200. I bought my girlfriend a Garmin Nuvi 250 for $114.99 on Amazon back in May.
  • kripalanikripalani Member Posts: 2
    All u gotta do is enter a destination like you regulary would. So if you have already set it to go home, hit menu twice so that you are on the original menu, enter the address, cick ok. A promt will appear saying: set as new destination or set as waypoint.click on set as waypoint.
    Hope that helped.
  • kripalanikripalani Member Posts: 2
    So i have an 08 accord ex-l v4. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to turn the voice commands off while the navigation still shows you the route and turns you have to make? I realy dont need that annoying voice telling me what to do..lol. also is it possible to change that voice?
    Thanks
    Tanya
    Do the Nav systems not come with their own manuals these days? I'd be happy to help if I had a Nav equipped model, but I don't. Try the book?
    Take a look in the setup screens. There should be a setting to turn off the voice. The 04 models had the option of turning it off. lowering the volume, and changing the voice to male or female. I would assume your 08 has the same options and maybe more.

Mrbill
    changing the voice to male or female.

Interestingly enough, when I upgraded to the latest CD for my 06, the male voice is no longer an option. I know they dropped it for the current generation.

But as others have said, the setup screen has choices that allow you to make those kinds of changes.

And, Grad, not sure about the OP (maybe he or she lost the manual) but mine came with a rather large navigation manual as a separate book. It's all in there. ;)
    Ok; I thought the NAV had a seperate book. Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy... at least in this regard. :shades:
  • 77lakepine77lakepine Member Posts: 3
    I have a 07 accord ex with factory nav. the disc says 4.56 there are scratches on the disc and the unit is unable to read does anyone know if a 4.61 dic will work? Thanks,
    Honda DVDs are color coded. As an example, the one for my 04 Accord is orange. Update DVDs are also orange.

If the DVD you want to use is the correct color, it should work.

Mrbill
    You are looking for a white DVD. The current version is 4.81 but you can use an older version as well.

IIRC, the version before 4.73 had some issues. That may have been 4.61... I can't remember.

I couldn't find a version history on Honda's Navi site: Honda Navigation
    When we switched to the new Daylight Savings Time, I had to turn off my auto DST feature on my 06 Accord. They always said that there would be an update from the dealer but I never saw one.

So the other day I was switching the time manually and noticed I had a new feature in the Clock set-up menu. It gives me the option of choosing the old April - Oct. DST or the new March - Nov. time. It must have been included in the DVD update I bought (when they had a 20% off sale).

It may have been documented somewhere but I sure never saw it. Kind of like losing the male voice option. At any rate, I'm happy to not have to reset the clock manually now. :)
  • RF_BurnsRF_Burns Member Posts: 3
    I couldn't find an '05 Accord equipped the way I wanted, so I settled for an '06 Acura TSX with the NAVI system...love this car.

However, I can't find the menu to change the time...how do you get there in an Accord? Chances are, it's the same in the TSX...which is sold in Europe under the model name 'Accord'...
    There's a Set Up button on the dash below the navi screen. You have to press the "More" button on the touch screen to get to the clock settings.
  • gerallgerall Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a new/2009 Accord EX-L with nav, and am loving it so far. Except, I can not find out anywhere how to change the trip computer from metric to real mpg. Litres per 100 kilometers is about as usefull as quoting horsepower in kgf-m per second. I'm thinking I can't change it myself because I have pushed every setup option there is, however is there a dealer option that they can change it.
    Owner's manual?
    Cant find anything to chage trip computer, only km/miles on the nav map scale.
    That's surprising. Sorry if it seemed like a dumb statement I made, but you'd be surprised at the number of people who won't read!
    Yes, its actually funnier than that. Called the salesman that sold it to me, they said, hmmm beats me call the service department. Called service, and they said, hmmm beats me call sales. Then said the same thing, check the manual. The manual shows mpg and miles, but because its Canada by some magical process its in kms and litres/100kms. I am beginning to think there is a Canuk vesion of the software that won't allow mpg like everyone else understands. I even pulled out the Canada dvd and replaced it with the USA disk, but trip computer still does metric only. May have to find out what software version I need, and how and who to load it into the unit to make this happen. I see there is a card slot on the dvd in the truck, and am assuming that is for the techs to load updated software.