Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Navigation

stanwelksstanwelks Member Posts: 35
If I get the navigation, are some of the controls for stereo, climate, etc. put on the LCD touch screen of the navigation instead of the buttons and knobs on the console?

Thanks.

Comments

• tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Everything is on the touch screen. All radio/CD controls, including push button presets for two sets of FM, one set of AM and two sets of XM, volume, base, treble, fade, balance, CD adjustments, etc.

All manual AC controls, including fan levels are there. The auto climate controls are knobs and push buttons.

All the informational things like trip computer, calendar, calculator, etc are touch screen items as well.

Oh yes, all the navi controls are there too. :)

The whole thing is very easy to use. And you can also use voice commands for all of the above. For example, you can tell which radio preset you want to play.
  • stanwelksstanwelks Member Posts: 35
    1. How easy is it to view the contents of the screen in direct sunlight? This is my main concern, since all of the controls are integrated into the screen.

2. How well does the voice recognition differentiate words spoken during conversation from commands given to the unit?

3. Are there any issues with doing 2 things at the same time with the nav screen? So for example, while the radio is playing in the background, I imagine I can click over to the climate options and the screen will change to that. Are there anythings that have to be stopped before something else can be done?

Thanks!
    Are there any advantages to getting an aftermarket NAV system "installed?" I do not want one that is just mounted on the window or dashboard.

Can an aftermarket NAV be as nicely integrated with the stereo, climate controls, etc.?

Thanks!
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    Reading the screen in direct sunlight is very difficult.

That may sound bad, but keep in mind the climate controls in the model with the Navi option also has the Auto feature with dual temperature settings. Basically you can "set it and forget it"

I have an 04 EX-L, I hardly ever touch the climate control settings. I set the temps at 70 deg, and leave it there. When the car has been setting in the sun, the auto controls crank up the fan speed, and even turn the controls to Recirculate for max cooling, returning to normal once the car cools down a bit.

The radio volume, mode and channels can be changed with the steering wheel controls as well as the knob on the dash.

The voice recognition only functions when you hit the "voice" button on the steering wheel. You push the button, the system shuts off the volume to the front speakers, and you give it your command. If your lucky, it will understand your command. I love the Navi system, could go without the voice recognition.

I find that unless I'm using the Navi function, I really don't need to use the screen for much. Once you program your favorite radio channels, adjust the bass/treble/balance/fader to your liking, there isn't much of a need for the radio settings. If your interested in your current gas milage, how far you have gone on the tank of gas, and how far you got left, the trip computer screen is handy.

There is nothing that has to be stopped when you change screens.

The only BIG complaint that I and everyone else has is the 20+ seconds it takes before it becomes operational. The delay doesn't affect the climate controls from turning on when you start the car, or does the delay effect the radio. I also wish I could plan a trip on my PC and download the data to the Navi system. I'm sure, future models will have that option.

My suggestion would be to find an '03 or newer Accord at a dealer with the Navi and play!

If you do alot of traveling, or drive in areas your not familiar with, the Navi system is worth the $$. If your going to be driving the car back and forth to the same places you've been before, then what do you need the navi system for?

Mrbill
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    After 03 to 04 and you get bluetooth and dual climate.
    "bluetooth?" I thought the Accord didn't have it.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    There is no bluetooth on the Accord.

I agree with MrBill about the voice recognition. It works much better sitting in the driveway but it sure gets confused if there is any noise. With the roof or windows open, your chance of having it understand you goes waaaay down.

Of course the other thing that helps is to memorize the exact words to say to do something. I end up just pressing the screen most of the time.

The only complaint I have is that there aren't enough radio presets for me on XM. (Go figure.... there are two sets.) There are so many choices and I find myself liking different things at different times. Changing individual stations with the dial is the worst thing about the system. Otherwise, I love it.

On another note, while I drive in many places that are new (why I bought it in the first place) I still like having the map available even locally. There are some freeways that I drive and never have known what's "over the hill". The map lets me see roads, lakes, etc. Also, I've been able to find a few back roads in some areas that I didn't even know went through. Kinda fun.
    I said blue tooth?? :surprise:

I ment that the accord gets dual climate control, Xm radio and a nav system with voice recognition for 2004. :blush:

The accords styling was best in 2003, 2004, and 2006.
    I wonder how the accord reacts to people with an accent... It seems strange at first but i'm serious. Some people native tounge just can't say "Find Nearest Restaurant" without a lot of extra in it. I wonder how many times they did the TLs commercial? The one about listening...

-Cj :shades:
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    It's funny you mentioned this. One of my best friends is from Laos and he was showing me his new Accord and the built-in navigation system. He began to demo how the voice control works and instead of performing the requested command the car would do something completely different.

I'm sorry, but it was hilarious. I asked him to key the mic again and I gave the car the same instructions and it understood me perfectly.

He has since been able to get it to respond to his voice, but he has to speak very clearly and try to reduce his accent. Good luck. - Kelly
  • whitecloud1whitecloud1 Member Posts: 268
    I have dual climate in my '03.
    i meant it is rare to find dual climate in 2003s. It was an expensive option for ex models. For 2004, that was fixed because honda made Dual climate standard for ex models with leather. Also voice controls for the navigation system came on the 2004 models. If purchasing an accord, i recommend a 2004 or 2006.

-Cj :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    i meant it is rare to find dual climate in 2003s. It was an expensive option for ex models. For 2004, that was fixed because honda made Dual climate standard for ex models with leather.

You sure about that? I thought all EX-Ls since 2003 had Auto Dual Climate Control... Honda very VERY rarely makes things stand-alone options, NAVI systems excluded.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Edmunds agrees with you - the 03 V6 EX came with leather and dual-zone automatic climate control standard. (The only option was navi.) The I4 had leather as an option and I can't find any indication that dual-zone climate control was available. In 02, the V6 had an automatic climate control, but it was single-zone.

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2003/honda/accord/index.html
    :blush: oops, i got my years mixed up... I keep thing the accord went from 2002-now...

I still think i'm right about the voice commands for the nav though.

-Cj :blush:
  • magicpsnmagicpsn Member Posts: 13
    I have only owned my Accord for 4 days and having to press OK to the Navigation disclaimer screen “EVERY” time I start the car is getting old. Is there any way to turn this off or have it disappear after 30 seconds as other navigation manufactures, like Garmin, have done?
    There are other forums on the Web that talk about modifying the start-up splash screen, eliminating the text, but I don't remember seeing something that has eliminated the need to push the OK button.

Having the text display and pushing the OK button is probably a legal "you can't blame Honda cause you agreed to the text" if you caused an accident while viewing the Navi screen.

Mrbill
    Having the text display and pushing the OK button is probably a legal "you can't blame Honda cause you agreed to the text" if you caused an accident while viewing the Navi screen.

That's exactly what it is, and its the same reason we have to have ugly yellow airbag warning stickers printed on sunvisors and such...
  • medicmelmedicmel Member Posts: 8
    Has anyone seriously explored getting the Pioneer DVD player that plugs into the Nav system to watch movies?
    I'm making an assumption here, but you probably won't be able to convert the current Navi system to play DVDs. The DVD used in the Navi is most likely recorded in a "data" format for access by the computer. Video DVDs use a compressed MPEG format which requires a decoder to decompress and play the video. If the Navi DVD is in a "data" format, then the Navi system won't use a MPEG decoder, so it can't play video DVDs.

Mrbill
  • msch2377msch2377 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to install a Navi system into my 2006 Honda Accord 4 cyl 4 dr. and I want to know if this is possible and if so other then getting the new dash from a v6 model and the antenna, what all do i need to get my hands on. to make the installation. Thank you
    Save yourself a LOT of time, cash, potential rattles, etc... and buy a portable one. I have a Garmin StreetPilot C330 and absolutely love it. It was only $328 at Wal-Mart. The best part is, since it is portable, I carried it in my car one weekend, and the next, rode with a friend in his Maxima to Atlanta and carried it then, too. It is more cost-efficient if you don't have a car already equipped with one.

Doing this type of installation (if humanly possible) is going to cost you a lot, I believe.
    Although I have a 04 I4 with Navi and love it, I would be cautious with adding a factory system from another car.

Yes, you will need the Navi unit for the dash, antenna, wiring harness from navi unit to trunk DVD player and antenna.

The part that I would be concerned with is some of the other functions the navi displays. The complete climate control system, and trip computer functions are also displayed and controlled with the navi system. I don't know what inputs/outputs will also be needed, but it could get complicated.

I would like to think it can be done, and would love to hear it's possible, but I would also be cautious if someone posts "Sure it can be done, I did it" I would want a detailed list of EVERYTHING that needs to be installed.

Good luck, let us know if you do go for it.

Mrbill
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    I have an 06 infinity M35 and an 06 Honda Accord...both with Nav. My expectation was that the Honda would have the best Nav system, but to my surprise the Infiniti is far easier to use. To input an address into the Honda, i have to keep hitting the talk key and wait for the beep...I have to start with the menu. On the infinity, I hit the talk button once and it leads me thru the script...and the script is shorter.

My current problem with the Honda NAV is that one of the major roads in Sarasota is Bee Ridge Rd. However when I try to find a specific address on Bee Ridge Rd, the Nav system only allows me to enter addresses in the 5000 block...which is rediculous. I haven't taken the car to the dealer because all other Nav seems to work ok...but this is just incredible....one of the major roads in a pretty major city not working.

we'll see what the dealer and Honda say. It's one thing not to have a small/new road...but it's not OK to sell something that doesn't work correctly with a major road and state route.
  • msch2377msch2377 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for both your input and the other thread post to my comment. From the sounds of it, it would cost me a lot of money to get it up and running with a lot of headaches along the way. So from the sounds of it I think i will take the advice and buy a portable one and wait till the manufactures put some more time into their nav systems, before i ever decide to purchase a vehicle with a nav system preloaded.
  • neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    I have a portable GPS - the TomTom One... sells for $399 now and really easy to use. Another advantage to think about - if you fly out of town and leave the car behind, the portable GPS comes in really handy since you can use it in any rental car too.
    Another advantage to think about - if you fly out of town and leave the car behind, the portable GPS comes in really handy since you can use it in any rental car too.

My sentiments exactly. I have the Garmin Streetpilot c330 that we found in-store at Wal-Mart for under $330. Does everything I wanted it to, stores 500 of your favorite locations, has 5 million points of reference, and a pretty amazing battery life (for when you don't want it plugged in). I'm thrilled with it! I have had it in three cars since I got it this Christmas.
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Does anyone know how to delete previus destinations on the Honda Navi ?....2006 Accord.
    Thanks,
    Webby
    I may regret I asked this, but have you checked your owners manual?
    The navi manual does tell how to delete previous destinations.

Going somewhere you shouldn't be? LOL (just kidding)

Mrbill
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Good one...LOL
    Just being lazy...when I got the car ( wife's car ) there were couple addresses someone else programmed....seriously !
    Thanks,
    Webby
  • sampowerssampowers Member Posts: 30
    Just bought a 05 with navagation but I have no idea to work it. I believe there is a voice command option also, but again the Honda dealer did not provide manuals for this stuff (just another way for them to make $$$) any tips on how to set this sucker up? Any tips would be appreciated!
    There is a voice command option, with over 500 voice functions. How recently did you buy the car? I'd be going back to the dealer and demanding my owner's manual.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    Voice command is not an option. All 2003 through 2007 Navigation System-equipped Accords have voice controlled navigation, climate control and audio sytems. Your dealer's service advisor can show you how to operate the system if you purchased a used 2005 vehicle and don't have its separate Navigation System manual. You should contact the former owner and ask for the manual, or just buy it. The car came from the factory with two manuals.
    What is the difference between "voice command" and "voice controlled"? Sorry if that's a dumb question. :blush:
  • sampowerssampowers Member Posts: 30
    Yeah, I need to get to the dealership. I just bought it 2 days ago for my wife. We love the car. I did have a chance to sit down and play with the voice command last night and I did figure out some some stuff via honda.com and by trial and error. Is it really worth getting the latest version? I am just at young guy who really likes to use a map, but we could not pass up the deal we got on this car. It would be great if the system had a demo built in. Also, I need to get the NAV code and some other code, where can I get those and how much does it cost?
    Well, there are 500 voice commands sort-of "pre-programmed" into the system. An example of one might be saying "Air Conditioning, Seventy-three degrees," or "CD Track Four."

The system is "voice controlled" with individual commands.

No question is stupid! :)
    Right, but blane said "voice command is not an option" and then he said that they have "voice-controlled" navigation. I don't understand the difference. (Sampowers was asking about a voice command option for the navi system.) :confuse: :)

Actually, looking back I see that you said that there is a voice command option, so now I am :sick:

:P
    What he meant (I think) is that it isn't a seperate stand alone option from the NAV. You either get "NAVI, with Voice Activated Controls" or no NAVI at all.

I shouldn't have used the word "option" and instead should have said "feature."
    Pat,

The terms control and command are used interchangeably. You press a button on the steering wheel and speak your "commands" to the system (such as "Go Home", "XM channel twenty-eight", "Radio ninety three point nine FM", "Fan speed two", "Passenger temperature seventy one" etc. Simply put, your voice controls the system by commanding it to do whatever you wish it to do.
    This is why I asked the question - in your response to sampowers you said:

Voice command is not an option. All 2003 through 2007 Navigation System-equipped Accords have voice controlled navigation, climate control and audio sytems.

Now you are saying the terms are interchangeable, which is what I thought all along, and that's why I asked what is the difference. To me, your reply says they are two different things.

Sorry, I'm certainly not trying to argue with you, not at all, but I was confused by your first response and that's what prompted my question. If the point is that voice control/command is standard, not an option, then it all makes sense and it was indeed a dumb question! :D

Which will not stop me from asking "dumb" questions in the future, I assure you! :P
  • snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    TT One is sweet and $399 is a great price for some reason I thought it was more. Did the tomtom map updates for North America figure into your decision to go with the One?? I also a agree it's good when switching cars (say if you are renting obvi) but it is also pretty freaking cool that you can use it on foot while walking around town! :surprise:
    No problem Pat. Just for clarification, my original post #39 use of the term voice command was in specific response to sampowers's post #37 where he wrote: "I believe there is a voice command option also, but again the Honda dealer did not provide manuals for this stuff".

Otherwise, I always use the term voice controlled to describe my Accord's system.
    snapcracklepop,

You may not have been aware of the fact that the Garmin nüvi series units have a user-selectable pedestrian mode too.
  • snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
    Yup TomTom and Garmin are two solid companies. Honestly when you have two productst that are that good you have to look at the small details/differences and decide which ones are the most important to you. For me it's:
    -user friendly...my life is too busy to mess around with any sort of complication
    -good maps: tomtom I can now say has the best maps in north american do to the recent update link title
    -lastly this one is kinda picky but i really like the fact that tomtom has an arrow on the main screen advising you of which direction your next turn will be in.

That's cool that the Nuiv has a pedestrian mode similar to the tt one. Other good tt products that are worth loooking into b/c they are cheaper but you don't carry them around on foot are the tt 510 and tt 910 :shades:
    snapcracklepop,

You might not be aware that the Tom Tom One does not speak the actual names of the streets. It just says turn left, turn right, etc. The Garmin nüvi series units have Text To Speech (TTS) that say turn left onto Main Street, turn left onto Broadway, etc.
  • neteng101neteng101 Member Posts: 176
    My first TomTom One died within 14 days, have a replacement now. It just stopped turning on. FWIW, I don't need the names of streets told spoke to me, TTS is no biggie IMO. I think Garmin is a better knowing overall name in the GPS space though. The TT One is easy to use, but the durability is my biggest concern at this point... I think the Garmins are probably less prone to failures. If only it was the same price for a Nuvi that's comparable to the One.
    neteng101,

I have extensive experience using my 2004 Accord's Navigation System, which does not use TTS. I also use a Garmin nüvi 350 in my wife's car and in rentals. The nüvi uses TTS. Text To Speech is a major safety advantage since the driver keeps his or her eyes on the road, rather than on the screen.
  • kcrossleykcrossley Member Posts: 182
    Where can I purchase the latest DVD for the stock Honda Navigation System?