Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• mdcyumdcyu Member Posts: 6
    Pathdoc:
    I was thinking about the same thing before I purchased this 2002 model. I was told the 2003 model will be out around Oct. However I will expect that the price will be much firmer than 2002 model. By the way, are you a pathologist?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    $2,600 over (Probably about $2K over when ya figure they get spanked with LDA on these in all probability) is a strong deal.

Like Pathdoc said, supply has been cut below demand on them right now... (CAFE concerns)

Bill
  • pathdocpathdoc Member Posts: 126
    Yes I'm a pathologist practicing in a hospital in southern Calif. I've been interested in cars for many years and try to attend as many events as possible. My favorite is the week of the Monterey Historic races, Pebble Beach Concours, etc.
  • tinlittletinlittle Member Posts: 21
    Mike, you must have other options on that car besides ML. It is indeed a good deal if you got that from a local dealer. The guys on this board have to get $2000 over deals from FL and add $500 shipping charges.

I would ignore the LDA since there is also a $1900 dealer holdback on this. Are you in CA? I would very much like to know which dealer you get this, if you are.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Some folks on another website are saying that a new sequoia-based lexus suv is scheduled to come out in 2004 as a 2005 model. They say it'll be called the VX540 and will replace the LX 470. Does anybody here know if this true or if this is just speculation? Does the upcoming styling change on the 470 signal the end of that truck in two years? Can any knowledgeable lexus folks enlighten me? Thanks!
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Yes - that is the strong rumor - that they are going to make an ultralux larger truck in the $70k+ range in 2005 as their top of the line. They will wait to see if the GX470 is a hit next year before making that committment. They also intend to lengthen the RX300 and give it an optional 3rd row. Thus they would end up with 3 classes of trucks in the $35-$42k, $48-$55k and $70k+ brackets. Naturally the GX becomes a slightly smaller but significant replacement for the current LX and Lexus ends up covering the entire spectrum. This comes from a Lexus salemen I am dealing with on a totally different issue.

This guy says Lexus is intending to go more and more upscale in the coming years but wants to maintain cars and trucks in their current price range at the same time. So you'll likely see v-12 engines and other expensive goodies in certain models and model extensions or new replacements in others. But they have no intention of outpricing current customers so hence an intro like the GX470 flows in.
    tinlittle
    yes, it was more than just ML system, i also got cargo mat, rear wind deflector, roof rack, spare tire lock and wheel locks.
    all those were manutacturer intsalled, I had no choice but take them which i would like to have them anyway.
    i am not at CA, i am at WA, i can give you the dealer's name if you want.

pathdoc
    are you going to wait for the 2003 model?
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    The GX will.

For those looking to buy, carsdirect.com will give a good idea of what LXs are going for in your area. I got my 2001 lasdt year for $10,000 off of MSRP ($65K) so this was about $2000 below invoice. The broker prices are about $7500 higher now but the $3000 navigation system is standard for 2002 so, effectively, Lexus lowered the MSRP by $3000 for 2002.

Does anybody know how a negative comment about a dealer in a survey from Lexus affects the dealer?
    Let's say I had a buddy with a Land Cruiser who wanted to switch the badging with my LX. Would it be easy to switch the grill and chrome emblems in the rear? Does the dealer remove the emblems when they Gold Pack a car. Are there holes in the body holding the emblems on or is glue used?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If they are glued on, the Badge/emblem removal techniques board may help.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    It looks like the grill emblem is the same shape as well so maybe it's just a matter of going to the Toyota store and having them remove and install some badges.

Are 18 inch wheels a good thing in the new LX? It seems like Toyota is keeping up with the Jones' when BMW has SUVs with optional 20 inchers ("not recommended for off-road use"). I'm going to Western Canada and Alaska soon with a friend's spare tire and two unmounted tires just in case of flats on the gravel highways. Finding 18 inch tires in the boonies might be tough. I'd be surprised if Toyota went worldwide with 18 inch wheels on their SUVs so I'm thinking this is a styling over functionality issue.
    Heck, even the Cassier is mostly paved these days. I never took more than one spare on my trips up and down - those things take up a lot of room.

Steve
    Host
    ...to get flats. Maybe my plan is overkill and a couple of cans of flat fixer would keep me out of trouble.
    Been there, done that, one flat :-)

It's remote, but don't go nuts. You won't get stuck in any one place all that long. I don't recommend bombs of gas on the roof either. Grab a Milepost too (http://themilepost.com). Great country, you'll love it.

Steve
    Host
  • tinlittletinlittle Member Posts: 21
    Mike, thanks for the info. I am now waiting for the 2003 model after checking out new features of the car at insidelexus.

3 major things I like on the new LX, side airebag/curtain airbag, voice activation on GPS and 18 inch wheel. The 16 intch wheel is too small.

I expect price won't increase more than a couple of hundred dollars. So I will either get a new one or get a 2002 around Oct for $2000 below invoice.
  • lambeth1lambeth1 Member Posts: 2
    Our 99 lx470 lease is up, the buy out is $36,400. My problem is deciding whether to purchase the lexus and have it run through lexus certification for $899. It has 34,500 miles. No problems at all.The other suv's that we have looked at and driven are the Denali, Escalade, BMW 3.0. To purchase the Lexus would cost @$1,200/month for 3 years, it should be worth @$18,000 in 2006. The lease prices that I have been quoted for the others Tax Inc. 3yr/36k are $750, Denali, $800 Escalade,$735 BMW. $2,000 out of pocket on all 3 quotes. I am not sure what would be the best way to go. A new lease on a 2002 lx is $1,200/month wow! This is my wifes car, I drive a 2002 Yukon which I enjoy but it is not a Lexus. Any thoughts? I have 3 weeks to decide.
  • md2002md2002 Member Posts: 142
    The problem is there is no comparison. You indincated as such by saying you drive a 2002 Yukon and it is not a Lexus. $1200/Month over 3 years seems a bit steep (don't know your money factor) but I would say long term have it certified and keep it. The others including the BMW 3.0 (which has had several issues) are not worth their residuals at the end (except the BMW due to the BMW name).

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.
  • rainymamarainymama Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1999 Lexus LX470. The dealer told me that the TLC was going to be discontinued. This might account for some of the difficulty in finding the LX470. He said Lexus produced less of them in order to move the TLC. Has anyone else heard about this? Just wondered if it was true.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I have heard a couple of conflicting reports - first I heard that the TLC will be discontinued because Toyota is selling a heck of a alot more Sequoias than Land Cruisers - also, they will be making in the future several different models of the Sequoia, one being a luxury edition similar to the Land Cruiser - then I heard or read that this is hogwash - so I don't really have an answer - we have a '00 LX 470 and my husband just loves it - I like it too except for the gas mileage!
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    It actually doesn't make business sense to keep the TLC and the LX470 so similar. Why would'nt Toyota want those who can afford TLC's shopping in Lexus showrooms so that they are exposed to LS,SC, GS and ES models intesd of Avalons and Camry's. You've got to believe at some point the two models will become a lot more differentiated with the more high end model being a Lexus.

At the same time it wouldn't make sense to kill a lengedary brand name like the TLC. So I would think it'll become a different type of truck, maintain it's high-end quality and be priced in the $40-45k range at some point in the near future.

Yes - I also agree this is a great truck and I also love it. I get around 16-17mpg which I am actually pleasantly surprised about but it'd be nice to get 20.
  • rbm1rbm1 Member Posts: 1
    nope! I have to ask y would u have only 14k on it?
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    available that the current TLC platform will be phased out, and the GX platform will take over it's spot. It also seems that the Sequioa is being groomed as a the car that will compete with the new 2003 Range Rover and the like.

Maybe Toyota's VVTi technology will yield different power levels in their current and future (5.4L) V8's. Obviously to swing with the Range Rovers, Escalades, and Navigators, you need 300+HP. The RX needs 240-250HP to stay competitive, and the GX should be inbetween. The GX needs to get to 275HP at $50k a pop. The future LX470 must have 290-300+HP. It won't be as dedicated off-road, but that's ok with me. More legroom is more important.
    The GX is based on the smaller Land Cruiser Prado..

Bill
  • kjack100kjack100 Member Posts: 133
    Has anyone investigated the possibility of tying a rear seat overhead display into the existing DVD/NAV system? It seems like if you could have some sort of switch for the DVD player, it could be wired to another non-dash display. I guess you'd have to override the player only operating in park mode.
    It can be done, but from what I understand is a lot more expensive than it is worth...

Bill
    Has anyone been able to dig up 2003 LX pics yet?
  • psu1983psu1983 Member Posts: 24
    In a rather impulsive fashion (i.e. not alot of comparative shopping), I just traded in my Lexus GS430 and purchased a 2000 LX470...It's Riverock, with Nakimichi, has 33k miles and is certified. I ended up paying $45.3k, which seemed fair given the limited research I had done. Reasonable deal?

Thank-you.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    and a couple of interior luxuries. Nothing serious. The move to 18's is good. More HP would be appreciated.
  • lgig1lgig1 Member Posts: 4
    I live in Chicagoland area. Looking to purchase an 02 LX470. How close to invoice can I come?
    Please advice.
    Thanks to everyone in advance,
    Irina.
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Well, look up the car at www.lexus.com to see how it's made, then use Edmunds to figure the invoice price. Using Lexus again, locate the dealers' email addresses and make them an offer.
  • hiroshi4732hiroshi4732 Member Posts: 2
    I think the NIGHT VISION SYSTEM is so cool but too

expensive(aprox$2500).

HP has not be changed.

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/LandCruiserCygnus/index.html
    I wish that Land Cruiser 70 was imported tho....
  • lgig1lgig1 Member Posts: 4
    Well, I finally purchased a brand new 2002 (only 4 miles) lx470 for $1000 over the invoice from Woodfield Lexus. Unfortunately I had to pay $775 for Lexus dealer advertisement, but no other dealer offered anything even close to this price.
    Is this a good deal? What about LDA $775? Is this legit? I can't imagine dealer paying this much for advertisement.
  • kexicaokexicao Member Posts: 30
    Does that mean you paid around $56K? That's a very good deal. This is the kind of deal I've been looking for.
    when I got my 2001. I believe all the prices are the same for 2001 and 2002 (except that navigation is now thrown in for free on all vehicles).

List was $65K, invoice was $57K and I paid $55K, which was pretty much the broker price found on carsdirect.com.

The LDA quoted to me at the first dealership was about $600 (this is in northern CA). This is a real expense in that the dealership would not have to pay it if they didn't sell the vehicle (unlike their rent or electricity bill which is covered by their markup). But also not factored in was the holdback payment the dealership would get from Lexus. Some people figure the LDA when they want to make a "fair" offer to the dealership but I was going to pay less than invoice anyway. I don't think the second dealership could survive if their average profit is what they made off of me but I was willing to take what they had. I didn't pay no LDA (or get chrome wheels for $1600 extra).

Lexus/Toyota must have had a huge dealer rebate program at the time to unload the remaining 2001's - maybe the knowledge that navigation would be free in 2002 was a part of the reason.

Prices might be a lot lower next month but there's not much you can do to lower the price on the best offer you get in your area.

Do you remember the exact date when you bought you 2001 LX relative to the new 2002 model release date, ie, two or three weeks before or after? How did you find that deal, newspaper ads, web? Did you lease or buy if you don't mind I ask? Any detail will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KC
    ..came out, if I recall correctly - 9-17-01. This was just after 9/11 but Lexus started that dealer rebate in August. Because of 9/11 Lexus might have made fewer vehicles in 2002 so there might be fewer available now. You can check some of your local dealers' inventory by starting at lexus.com.

Carsdirect is great because it gives you a great idea of what offers a dealer would accept in your area. Some cars are listed at $10K over list price and some are listed at $10K under. I didn't tell the dealer about Carsdirect because they probably have a deal where they don't compete with each other. From stepping foot onto the dealership to making the deal with the manager took about ten minutes so they might have accepted a lower offer. I wrote a check.
  • texastimtexastim Member Posts: 6
    I haven't figured out the pricing on the certified pre-owned LX 470's. Sometimes the same Lexus dealer has same year vehicles with a lower mileage vehicle being less than a higher mileage vehicle and both are loaded?? Both are like-new?? Does anyone know if they negotiate much on the listed prices? Will they throw in additional years on the 3 year/ 100K mile warranty the C.P.O. vehicles get? I will hit the three years long before the miles (even if I buy one with 50K miles already on it).
  • tpetrotpetro Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any info on enabling the DVD player while moving?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    There are three official photos of the 2003 LX at wieck.com. Once on the home page, click on public. Then enter "Lexus" and "LX 470."

You can also see some 2002 photos and compare. The new interior looks nicer, but it seems they dropped the optitron gauges for the more conventional style - just like those that will be in the GX. Although, I may be wrong as it is hard to tell in the images.
  • gkexecgkexec Member Posts: 6
    I just noticed some whitle clouding in the paint on the hood of my 2000 LX 470 up near the winshield and in the center, of the hood. Has anyone else had any paint issues with their LX 470? When I telephoned the dealer, he said it was the first he had heard of this and it is going in for them to look at next Tuesday. He seems to feel it will be covered under the warranty. It was quite a surprise given the total quality and experience I have had with this vehicle over the last 45,000 miles.
  • britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    we have a 2000 (golden pearl) LX 470 - have not noticed any clouding of the paint - we do have several paint chips however - please keep us posted as to what your dealer says about it -
  • depmddepmd Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had this done? How much should it cost? How long did it take? Any problems afterwards?

Thanks
    I've checked the official Lexus website but perhaps I'm overlooking the following:

Does the 2003 LX have HID lights? and,
    Does the truck come with parking assist that beeps when you are too close to hitting something? (the LS 430 has both).

Thanks to any knowledgeable Lexus folks out there for the answer.
    well, i paid 59400$ for a 2002 lx 470 with everything on it. it was three monthes ago, what is the current best deal?
    The 2003 Land Cruisers are at 6500 as were the 1998-2002 LX470s.

There was a deal before where the tow receivers that came from some dealerships were rated at only 5000 lbs. but my 2001 can handle 6500 lbs., I think.
    I got this from carsdirect.com:

MSRP $63,700
    Invoice $56,282

Click an underlined option to get more information about it.
    Powertrain
    Engine: 4.7L V8 DOHC SMPI
    8-cylinder engine with 4.7-liter displacement, dual overhead cam valvetrain, sequential multi-port injection STD
    Transmission: Electronic 5-Speed Automatic w/Overdrive STD
    Wheels and Tires
    Tires: P275/70HR16 Mud & Snow BSW
    Heavy Duty tires with 275mm width, 16.0" rim STD
    Wheels: 16 in. x 8.0 in. Alloy STD
    Seats and Seat Trim
    Heated Front Bucket Seats STD
    Leather Seat Trim STD
    Audio
    Radio: AM/FM 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer & Cassette STD
    Mark Levinson Audio System $1,280
    Other Options
    Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 6,860 lbs STD
    4.30 Axle Ratio STD
    Monotone Paint Application w/Painted Lower Accents STD
    Night View $2,200
    Lexus Link $1,215
    Rear Spoiler $280
    Roof Rack w/Cross Bars $220
    Destination Charge
    Manufacturer's Destination Charge $575
  • jma7jma7 Member Posts: 10
    The gas pedal on my LX 470 (2001 model) is much harder to press compared with my Toyota Camry. My right leg becomes tired after driving for a while since I never use the cruise control. Does anyone else feel the same way? Is there any way to adjust the gas pedal so it's a bit easier to press?

Thanks!