Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Test Drive reports

SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
edited March 2014 in Nissan
Did you test drive the Versa? What did you think?

Comments

• mpyoungmpyoung Member Posts: 2
    Test drove the CVT SL with convenience package tonight at the dealer! Very impressed overall. We like better than the FIT we recently test drove for the following reasons: bigger interior and more comfortable seats, seating position is better (feels taller), visibility is better, quieter ride, exterior is better looking (instead of the smaller wedge shaped Fit). Handles bumps better. Handling is close to the FIT, the Fit may handle turns a little better. Keyless entry option is cool, not offered on the FIT. So, overall we like it better than the FIT and will plan on purchasing one soon!
  • kc7kc7 Member Posts: 96
    If ONLY I got paid $50 for each person here that decided to buy a Versa ! Too bad it ain't happening !

But I feel good that somebody feels the same way as I do about the Versa. I think this car will bring a lot of smiles to many people ! Versa buyers will realize they got so much BANG for their buck ! No, not bang, but a BIG BANG ! for their buck.

Enjoy your car !
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    got to sit in a Versa today at the local dealer. Found it in the back lot where they come off the truck. It happened to be unlocked so I played with it in private. It was an S model with only the power package added (guess that's about the only option anyway with a 6 speed.

MSRP, incl splash guards and something else small, was ~14.1K. Lot of car for the money.

As to the room question, yes, the leg room is fantastic. I had the front seat pushed back as far as I could and still reach the clutch and steering wheel (I would probably drive with it a little forward of that point, and I am 6'), and I couldn't come close to hitting the seatback with my knees when I sat behind myself.

Actually, there was enough room for me to easily cross my legs, and lots of toe room, so overall a great place for adults. I also had enough head room to lease out the air rights.

I happened to sit in a Lexus GS300 yesterday, and the Versa put it to shame room wise (head and leg).

random notes:

- you really need to get to the SL to get some key features, including height adjustible seat (although the fixed height was OK for me) and more importantly the big center armrest. Not to mentio the goody options like a sunroof and bluetooth.

- seats were comfortable and quite wide, but the foam padding is a bit odd at first. I would really need to try an SL (height adjust and different fabric) on a drive to see how they worked out.

- the cushion could be a little longer under the thighs, but I guess this is personal preference. I happen to have longish legs, and am very sensitive to thigh support, but I think it was probly acceptable.

- Hatch areas is a decent size, and yes there is a step up when the back seat is folded, but it didn't look like a big deal to me, but YMMV.

- 30/34 mpg ratings. Odd that the highway is so low, but it wouldn't surprise me if real world results beat that. My Accord is rated 34 highway also, and will do better if I behave.

- it looks real cheesy in silver with black steel wheels (the hubcaps weren't on it yet). Good thing the SL comes with alloys!

So, overall, an impressive package that should sell well. Of course, I would have to drive one to know if I could live with it.

Oh, and it definitely seemed bigger than a Fit or Yaris. The Versa seems more like a Civic class car. Maybe the Faris is a "B' class, and the Veriber is a "B+"?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Another option available on the S is ABS. Did this car have it? I am wondering how easy it will be to get an S model with ABS. It's pretty hard to do on the Yaris.

I am encouraged that you are 6' and found the driver's seat to be OK even without the height adjuster. Frequently I find lack of thigh support in cars w/o the height adjuster.

It does seem odd that a 6-speed with a 1.8L engine is rated only 34 mpg on the highway.

I agree the Versa is more a compact-class car. There are compact hatchbacks, e.g. the Reno, that are about the same size as the Versa. The Versa is about a foot longer than the Fit and the Yaris hatch. In fact I wonder how many Sentras Nissa will sell, given the Versa is so roomy (and versatile, with the hatch) for less money.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Quieter? Don't think so. Exterior better looking? No way, the Fit looks way better. Handling not even close to Fits according to reviews and my personal experience. Also number one reason to buy Fit: "Made in Japan".
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    My dealership just got a S with power package and stick.

Just a few quick notes, I totally disagree with some of the reviews that bash the power steering. I felt plenty of feedback but the effort is a little light for my taste. Not unacceptable by any means.

I also disagree with the "rubbery feel" of the stick. I found it to be quite the opposite and on the notchy side.

The thing that impressed me most was the engine. How quiet it is even when you are at full throttle. It just loves to rev and didn't get thrashy at all.

Visability was just great.

Seats were definately way more comfortable than you would expect in this type of car.

Ride quality was good. Handling was slightly on the mushy side/comfort side. Not sure if the alloys would correct this.

The main thing is that when you sit in the car you feel that you are in a REAL car and not a toy.

I find the FIT to be really off putting visually. The wheels are just way to small compared to the profile of the car.

I hope lots of people who are considering a used car will give the Versa a look.

Mark.
    According to C/D's instrumented tests, the Versa (stick) is quieter than the Fit at full throttle and also at 70 mph cruise, and the same noise level at idle.

Looks are subjective.

Reviews give Fit the nod in handling but typically state that the Versa has an excellent blend of ride and handling.
  • pdxtauruspdxtaurus Member Posts: 16
    So I just test-drove a Versa, and it was NICE. But I'll be buying a different car.

It's big inside...you need to sit in it to feel the difference between it and, say, a Fit or Sentra. Very comfortable.

On the test drive, I noticed a sporty feel and smooth drivetrain. The manual shifted nicely. Not too much road noise.

My only complaint is the cargo area...yes, I do carry large objects on a semi-regular basis (current car: Taurus wagon...don't need quite that much car, but it does come in handy). IMHO, the car should come with a removable box or something to make the cargo area flat. It would create a convenient storage area for whatever you want to keep out-of-sight as well.

The reason I'm getting a different car is price. Like the Fit, the Versa is new enough and desired enough that the dealerships aren't going to cut a big price break. In fact, their attitude was "if you're willing to wait, we'll cut you a deal at only $1000 OVER MSRP." I can't say I blame them, but it does direct me to other, 2006, alternatives.
    $1000+ over MSRP is hilarious. That puts a Versa S with stick, power package and ABS over $15k. That's more than the Fit with similar equipment and only a few hundred less than a Rabbit 3-door. I think you will see prices come down to reality once the Versa starts arriving at dealers en masse.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just got back from my dealer, where they had taken their first two Versas off the truck about an hour before. Going to take a test drive in a day or so, but finally got to crawl around inside one.

I'm VERY impressed with the interior size. With the driver's seat all the way back, I'd estimate I have at least 3" more legroom behind the wheel than I do in my current Sentra, and my 6' tall daughter still had more room in the rear seat behind me than she does inthe Sentra. The tradeoff is in trunk space, but I expected that.

The doors and access to the interior are huge. Thre are certainly some boxes that would not fit in through the rear door of my Sentra that will slip into the rear seat of the Versa. Everything sounded very solid as well.

I'm interested in the 6 speed (actually, the wife and daughter INSIST on a stick). The one I looked at had the power package, but not the ABS and the sticker was around $13,800.

My only other look at the car had been at the Philly Auto Show, but that was up on a rotating platform, so we couldn't get especially close. I'm liking what I see, and I think the price point is going to help sell a fair number of them.
  • bsbcbsbc Member Posts: 10
    Hi all. I'm new here and am taking my time looking for a new car.

I went to my local dealership yesterday and saw/sat in both the S and the SL. I drove the SL w/ CVT since it was actually outside and not on the showroom.

My initial impressions:
    1. It defies logic how large the rear passenger area is.
    2. I'm finding it hard to justify the SL over the S (w/ the Power package) for an extra $1300.
    3. The interior of the SL looks nicer but is VERY soft and foam-like. It made me wonder how well it would hold up.
    4. The interior of the S was like a matted down suede but felt more durable than the SL.
    5. The door mounted arm rest was very soft in both and made me wonder about durability.

Driving is where it impressed me most.
    1. Not too much road noise
    2. Brakes were very responsive (no ABS)
    3. Never felt underpowered.
    4. CVT was a bit odd to listen to in stop and go traffic but performed well
    5. A/C blew well in 95 degree heat (for all those Mazda3 guys)
    6. Down a entrance ramp to the interstate I never heard the CVT and the Versa was completely capable of merging and driving with 70MPH traffic.

Final impression was I liked it a lot. I'm not real sure if I can justify the SL though. I might as well spend less and accept that it is in fact an economy car. The biggest problem I have with paying for the SL is that for about $1500 more than the SL I can get a Civic LX (Buying price) and not feel like I'm in an economy car. I think I would rather buy the S w/ power package, buy aftermarket wheels for $500 and call it good.

Gotta go but if I remember more I'll put it down for you.

J
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Regarding the "form" seats in the SL, they are made from Tempipdic form the same stuff the beds are made of, so durablity isn't an issue. There are other things to look at between the S-SL thing when looking at the price. The SL gets a 6 disk indash changer, the S gets a single disk. The radio on the SL is a far better unit then the S. Alloy wheels are standard on the SL, can't get them on the S. Cruise Control is standard on the SL, cant get it on the S.
    BTW, a good set of rims and tires for the S will run more then $500, more like $700...

Yes the CVT does get some getting use to, but I really like it..

Tony :shades:
    I forgot about tires with the wheels so you are probably right with $700. And yes, the seats in the SL were very comfortable but when I looked down at the seat when a 6'-225# salesman sat down it bulged out like a tube of toothpaste. Maybe I should trust the strength of the fabric more. I usually go into these test drives with a critical mindset.

That being said, I still don't really see much reason (for me) to spring for the SL. That is more of a compliment to the S than a knock on the SL. Yes, I will readily admit that the SL looks nicer and has obvious upgrades but my point was that the S is a solid, budget-minded choice.

6 disc changer isn't a big deal when you use an ipod and a radio transmitter. The only thing on the upgraded radio that intrests me is the aux jack and there are ways around that. Cruise isn't a big deal for my commute (especially with a stick). Wheels are nice but not necessary and easily replaced aftermarket. To be honest, the thing I miss most is the center arm rest and that sure isn't worth $1300.

I haven't quite decided yet as I am still waiting on my '95 Mercury Mystique to die (but it's real close). I think the Nissan is priced to sell and both the S and the SL are great.

BTW Be sure to update us on your mileage. Thanks!

J
  • jbmeehanjbmeehan Member Posts: 5
    I also noticed it was an additional $1500 just to go up to the SL. I am going to wait until the CVT is available on the base Versa.

Do you know the best site for aftermarket products for the Versa? I'm looking for running lights. I think they are an important safety feature.
    I finally got to drive the new Versa today, a S model with the 6-speed, convenience package, and mats--sticker $13.9k. It was the only stick they had. They also had two SLs with the CVT. I sat in one of those to check out the upgrades and the seating position with the height adjuster--more on that later. The SL with CVT and convenience package (Bluetooth, Intelligent key etc.) was $16.9k.

From the outside, the fire-engine-red Versa looked rather sporty, with decent-looking plastic wheel covers. The rear hatch lifts to reveal a sizable luggage space, but the cargo cover is rather odd--the back half is rigid and lifts with the hatch, the front half is two flaps of thin fabric. That leaves me to believe that the rear seat reclines, but I didn't check that out. The rear seat backs fold flat on top of the rear seat bottom, creating a platform that is about 8" higher than the rear storage compartment. The step-up is taller than I thought it would be, and I can see how that would be a deal-breaker for folks who will frequently haul a lot of cargo.

The interior room, as many have noted, is a strong suit of the Versa. With the driver's seat set for my 5'10" frame, the back seat had plenty of stretch-out room. Good thing, too, because the back seat bottom is relatively flat, so if there were less leg room, thigh support would be a problem. But it wasn't because of the legroom and the toe space under the front seat. There is no center headrest in the rear seat, and no center armrest either (the SL has the armrest). The black short-nap velour was comfortable and felt durable--it seemed similar to the cloth in the Fit. The headliner was a textured off-white cloth that looked quite rich. Overall, I thought the quality of the interior materials was excellent for such an inexpensive car--just a small notch below the Rabbit in this class.

The driving position was tolerable. The steering column tilts but does not telescope. The seat bottom doesn't adjust for height (it does on the SL). I really wanted more thigh support, or the beefy dead pedal to be forward another inch or two. There was no center armrest up front (the SL has one, a rather cheap vinyl-covered folding one that is useless when your right hand is on the wheel). But with the convenience package (and also on the SL) there are thickly padded armrests on the doors. The plastic wheel felt OK (the leather-covered wheel in the SL felt much nicer). Controls and displays were clear and had a quality feel. There is no cruise control available (but there is cruise on the SL). The standard radio sounded fine in my short test of it--but I didn't expect much in a $14k car. The glove box is immense. At first I thought it was tiny--then I noticed it extends WAY back into the dash--a long reach, but lots of room in there.

The first thing I noticed when starting out is that the clutch is smooth and easy to use. The next thing I noticed was that the short-throw shifter makes a "thunk-thunk" sound on every shift. It was not a rich sound either--it was loud and annoying. If it is typical of this car, I would have to opt for the CVT because I don't think I could live with the sound. Other than the noise, the shifter moved through the gates just fine. The car revved higher than I thought it would in 6th--about 3000 rpm at 65 mph. I'd prefer a taller final gear for maximum fuel economy on the highway. The engine growled when accelerating, but it wasn't an unpleasant sound to my ears. The 1.8L engine was plenty peppy for around-town driving, and accelerated onto the freeway without drama. The car was quiet and smooth when cruising. The suspension soaked up small bumps well (the roads I was on were pretty smooth), but the feeling was a bit rubbery vs. well damped (but this is a $14k car after all). I didn't get to really push the car in the handling department, but it was easy to drive around suburban roads and highways.

Back at the dealer, the sales manager confirmed they had not seen any ABS-equipped Versas yet, but that they would try to order some cars with ABS when they can put in their orders in early August. The manager said that until then, they will get whatever Nissan sends them. He noted that Nissan has suggested they not stock any more than 10% ABS-equipped cars. I don't know if that means Nissan doesn't think ABS will sell in the Versa, or that Nissan doesn't want ABS to sell in the Versa. Anyway, lack of ABS is a deal-breaker for me. Fortunately I am not in a hurry to buy, so I can see what happens with the supply of ABS-equipped cars.

In summary, I think that if you don't need ABS and want a solid, smooth, comfortable small car and haul long-legged adults in the back seat on a regular basis, or the driver is very tall, and cargo space is not a priority, the Versa would be a great choice. The S offers good value, while the SL has a lot of comfort and convenience features including some uncommon options for this class like Bluetooth and IntelligentKey. The height adjuster on the SL may be important to some people, but it didn't make the driving position all that much better for me (it might come in handy for shorter drivers). The problem I see with the SL is that it it overlaps the real-world price territory for larger cars, such as the Matrix, Sonata, Accord VP, and Mazda3s, and even Nissan's own 2007 Sentra.
    CVT is not a option on the S, only the SL. The Base gets a 4 spd auto or 6 spd.

Tony
    First off great review..

Now, the S model does not come with the convience package, Only Power Package and ABS package.

His has been talked about in the form for weeks, the ABS package has not been released yet, Nissan is very slow on releasing that for some reason..

Tony
    Personally I found the power windows, locks, and mirrors and padded armrests very convenient. ;)

There are other options available on the S (e.g. rear spoiler) but I guess they haven't been released yet, either.
    there is a difference between Packages and Indivedual items. The rear Spoiler is a Item not a package.

Tony
    ABS is a package though? What else is included in the ABS package besides ABS?
  • wulfgarwulfgar Member Posts: 38
    ABS Package comes with ABS (obviously!), EBD (electronic brake force distribution) and BA (brake assist). And on the S model you have to first get the Power Package to get ABS. Probably what I will order if I pass on the silver S model hitting my dealership Tuesday.
    Ok. Since ABS almost always includes EBD and often BA, I wasn't thinking of those features constituting a "package".

Good luck ordering the Versa with ABS. That will be a test of how available that package really is.
    Went to another dealer and drove the 6 speed S.

Quick notes to add to my previous SL/CVT drive:
    1. The SL seats were definitely more plush but again, I'm having trouble finding $1300 worth of difference.
    2. I didn't notice the rev-hanging issue
    3. I didn't get to take it on the highway but I noticed the RPM were a little bit high for the corresponding gear. Maybe I was letting the above review influence me, I don't know. However, it didn't sound like the engine was working nearly as hard at those RPM as many other cars do. It was almost like it enjoyed the slightly higher RPM. Or it could be I'm completely crazy.
    4. The shifter is noisy. Not a transmission grind type of sound. Just a "thunk" of the shift lever hitting. It didn't bother me during the drive but it left me wondering if it was one of those sounds you just get used to or one that drives you nuts after a year.

Also,
    I drove my friends Kia Rio5 just about and hour and a half before driving this. They are definitely going after two different drivers. As has been said before, the Versa was no jack rabbit. It always felt well powered and responded well when pushed but it never gave you that pocket rocket feel. The Rio5 was much more "go-kart" like where the Versa was much more "big car" like. If you are after the driving experience then the Versa is not the car for you. The Versa seems designed at the commuter or family who want to get into a more fuel efficient vehicle but don't want to feel like they are riding around in a kleenex box.

I asked the dealer about ABS and he said they aren't even able to order packages yet. He said they can trade with other dealers or can put in requests for colors but Nissan is more focused on getting inventory out to dealers for test drives. Special orders are taking second priority. Again, this is from the salesman. I don't know how true it is.

Anyway, just thought I would report back in.

J
    I have the same thoughts about the "thunking" of the shifter. Personally I think it would bother me long-term, since I'd have to hear it dozens of times each day. It's the loudest noise I've ever heard from a modern car when shifted. I am wondering which engineer was in charge of the shifter. :confuse:

So it looks like the CVT if I were to get a Versa. Problem with that is, I saw a SL model (the only one with CVT now) and with CVT and ABS the car would be around $16.5k. Pretty pricey for this class of car and getting very close to Rabbit/Mazda3s territory.
    Exactly. I think the bang-for-the-buck factor goes down once you get into that territory. Personally, if I were up in that range I wouldn't think twice about getting a manual Civic LX or a manual Mazda3 (sedan obviously).

That being said, I think the manual Versa S is still at the top of the list. The shifter didn't bother me that much.

J
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    I drove the CVT model and was impressed with the powertrain performance. And it was not at all noisy on the freeway either in terms of engine or road noise. The interior is not as flexible as the Fit's, but i would pick the Versa over the Fit.
    Kia is a bottom feeder car company, thier cars are cheap for what you get. I had a 06 RIO for a day when my Versa's windows were being tinted and man, what a crude car. Wind noise, was a roar, the engine was working much harder then my Versa, the ride was choppy. There is no way to compare the 2 cars. I couldn't wait to get my car back..

The Versa was NEVER designed to be a sport car people... It was designed to be a very well made, larger on the inside then your tpical sub compact and at that the Versa does it well, and better then any other car in its class...

Tony
    I agree completely about the Versa (not enough experience to comment about Kia).

The thing I like is that styling (excluding wheels) is exactly the same between base and SL. Unlike the Fit where the ground effects on the sport really make it or break it IMO.

J
    There is a sport package on the SL, which will give it a more sporty look, thats all it will do, again the Versa is not a sport sedan, the new Sentr SE-R will take care of that.

Tony :shades:
  • alexk3alexk3 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove both the Versa 1.8SL CVT and 1.8S 6MT today. A few days ago I drove a A/T Honda Fit Sport.
    Before test driving today I was pretty sure I was going to buy a Versa with manual transmission (based on my internet reasearch). This is my unbiased opinion.
    People are saying the Versa is bigger, smoother, quieter than the Hinda Fit. I agree! It is a very nice car and you get a lot for your money with the 1.8S model. What I didn't like is the transmission and engine power band. First of all, the manual transmission is geared too high in first gear and too low in top gear. You would think that a 6 speed manual transmission would have a wide range of gearing... but alas Nissan has managed to screw that up. I was going 66 mph and revving 3000 rpms in 6th gear. Does that sound like "tall" gearing to you (the sales brochure says it has "tall" 6th gear gearing)? Also in first gear if you don't rev it way up before letting out the clutch, the car accelerates so slowly you think something is wrong with the car. Seriously, the 1.0L my '92 Geo Metro has way more low-end torque than this engine. I can't believe Nissan would put such a close-ratio 6 speed transmission into an economy car.
    The CVT transmission is much better but the car I test drove with CVT cost $3000 more than the manual trans model. The CVT model is still very slow off the line. Once you get over 15mph or so it moves pretty nicely.
    Overall I thought the Versa was much more refined than the Fit and felt like a more expensive car. I would be a proud owner right now if it wasn't for the stupid manual transmission gear ratios.
    For those that are wondering, the Versa uses a timing chain, not a belt like the Honda Fit. For me, a timing belt is a deal-breaker. I have once had a car self-destruct from a broken timing belt and they are expensive to replace. The Yaris also uses a chain (my next test drive)
    A very fair report and I "tend" to agree on the 6-speed. The revs have yet to bother me at speed but my opinion is that Nissan did one of two things:
    A)Placed the gearing such that the engine stays in the meat of the torque curve at highway speeds (?). Better roll-on, I guess.
    B) Put a 6-speed in her just for the sake of marketing and didn't do much matching of the ratios.

Like I said, hasn't been a problem for me but you wonder if it could get better gas mileage with relaxed gearing in 6th.

The vehicle gives every impression of being a more expensive car compared to the competition. Not as sporty as some but that is not what my wife was looking for. And the timing chain/belt issue was a make or break issue for me, as well.

Good luck in your next test drive!
    the CVT 'learns' how the driver drives. I really don't find much of a problem starting from a start with the CVT, it does take a while to get use to the CVT..

I havent driven the 6 Spd Man, I need to take the car back to the dealer and have them install the X< sat link for me and while I'm there I'll see if the salesman well let me drive the 6 spd.

Tony
  • benduprebendupre Member Posts: 121
    You'd expect a 6th gear to overdrive wouldn't you?

I drove the MT and CVT and couldn't beleive the difference. The 6 speed tached about 3500 at 75 while the CVT settles in at 2500. Going up a hill or touching the gass will see the tach spin up as high as 4000, but that's not as bad as dumping into 5th on the 6sp.

The manual I drove also seem to race every time I put in the clutch, even with my foot all the way off the gas. Did anyone else notice this or was the model I drove defective?

All in all I think NISSAN got the ratios all wrong on the 6 speed, but the CVT is great.

Ben
    Apparently, the pre-production model's throttle "raced" a bit when one pressed the clutch in. Supposed to have been corrected when the production model appeared but a few people have reported the same occurrence as you. Ours sort of does this - not trying to sound wishy-washy but the flywheel feels really light and I think the slightest touch of the accelerator causes the sensation. Or it could be in the drive-by-wire - We'll know more after a few more weeks of acclimation.
    Without a hard linkage to the throttle plate it's either a software bug or servo lag. Engine compression is more than enough to immediately drop the rpm under 1000 with a closed throttle. Naturally it should at least be "on the way down" to catch up to the next gear when shifting. This is problem if not with all 6 speeds, certainly with the one I drove.

Ben
  • fit_nessfit_ness Member Posts: 58
    "the Versa uses a timing chain, not a belt like the Honda Fit."

The Honda Fit uses a timing chain. It does not have a timing belt.

Funny. I was here hoping the Versa had a "real" 6-speed with an extra tall sixth gear! I'm really scratching my head over the Nissan configurations available on the Versa. Get a sunroof, lose ABS. You MUST buy satellite to get a sunroof. Huh? Almost as crazy as making me drive around with the stupid low hanging plastic ground effects on a Fit to get cruise control! Have these Honda and Nissan guys lost their minds?

My Fit has - shall we say - um, 'excellent engine braking' in fifth gear. The engine is rev happy and I've been getting 36 - 39 mpg, but it sure needs a sixth gear - and an armrest.
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    As stated, the Fit uses a timing chain.

Copied from my posting on fitfreak:
    Had the opportunity to test drive a SL CVT Versa last Sunday (with ABS Standard, no Bluetooth), here are some of my impressions (currently driving Fit Sport Auto 100% city):

Seats:
    Versa is far more padded, and conforms to your body better than the Fit's. The cushions on the Fit are far more firm, which could be a good or bad thing. The Versa also has a height adjustment on the driver's front seat (Fit missing item #1)

Passenger front seat is the most spacious compared to the Fit. Plenty of kneeroom and footroom. Headroom seems to be a bit less at all positions, but there is still plenty for me. Passenger side has a vanity mirror as well as the driver's side (Fit missing item #2)

The back seat has the same material, but I think leans too far back, and the headrests were not really comfortable. There is supposedly 8 more inches of legroom, but this is mostly at your feet and not necessarily your knees. At the knee, there is maybe 3 inches more at my regular driving position. I am 5'9, and tend to sit pretty far back.

Driving:
    There is a dead pedal on even the Automatic (Fit missing item #3).

Visibility:
    Front: Whoever was complaining about being unable to see the hood on the Fit won't like the Versa much either. From my position, I barely caught a glimpse of the hood, no more than what you can see in a 5 cent peepshow. Definately not useful enough to help with parking, etc.
    Rear: Worse than the Fit if the Fit's rear headrests are removed, better if the Fit headrests are there.

CVT vs Conventional auto
    Hands down, CVT. With no shift points, the ride is far smoother with zero lurching around. Made me wish my Fit had CVT too. Vancouver is no San Fran, but there are still plenty of hills. Went up and down a few, no problems keeping up at all times. I'm quite confidant that CVT will replace conventional autos soon enough, including the 2008 Fit. It's already offered elsewhere in the world (even with paddle shifters!), and it's about time it came here. CVT offers equal or better fuel economy than a MANUAL gearbox, which is one of the major reasons people give for getting a stick.

Handling:
    As the Fit is my first car that I've owned, I didn't have much experiance with the handling charectoristics of many other cars other than my instructor's Corolla. And after driving the Versa, it made me realize how much I've been taking the Fit's handling for granted. Steering feels much heavier than a Fit's, the brake pedal is harder to press, and the throttle response is a tad slower. The steering wheel itself is thicker while also being smaller (I think).

I also have issues with the pedal placement - the Versa's brake and throttle pedals feel like they are on 2 different steps on a stairwell. I had to lift my foot quite a lot further than what I was used to.

Interior:
    The Versa actually has padded surfaces on the doors and such, while the Fit just has the fabric to look like its padded.

The drive cluster and controls on the Fit look far superior. By comparison, the Versa's one looked small and cheap. Usuable though.

The Canadian Versa SL comes standard with carpet floor mats (Fit missing item #4) and a folding center armrest (Fit missing item #5)

Cargo capacity is much weaker on the Versa. Whatever interior dimension figures are given on brochures are not reflective of the possibilities of storage with the seats folded down (not level with the trunk floor). I can't imagine trying to carrying a 32 inch TV in the Versa as easily as the Fit. There is a levelling shelf available for the JDM Tiida which is not available as an accessory here, but should be something that prospective buyers should consider getting.

With the seats up, there seems to be more space behind the rear seats than the Fit (and comes with a hard cargo cover [Fit Missing Item #6]). The hatch opening, however, is abysmal. At the lowest point, it's a measly 28 inches, and gets larger as you go up. This means for wide boxes, you have to lift it higher before you can slide in in. I'm looking at 35 inches easy on the Fit.

Safety:
    Even. 6 airbags on both, ABS on CANADIAN SL trim standard.

Pricing, top line SL trim with CVT - Fit Sport Auto is $25,000 CAD after taxes :
    WITH technology package (Bluetooth, AUX jack, mp3 player, Rockford sound system with subwoofer, steering wheel controls): $1500 cheaper than a Canadian Fit Sport

Without tech package: $2500 cheaper than CAD Fit Sport

With Sport package (not available yet, unknown pricing). I'd expect a $1500 premium for the Sport package, which includes skirts, spoiler and SUNROOF. The Canadian VW Rabbit has sunroof as a $1400 option, so $1500 should be a decent ballpark figure. But even at $1500 for the Sport trim AND tech package, it will cost the same as a Fit Sport (but with a lot more features)

The CAD Fit is definately overpriced by a good 1k at the least, especially if you consider all the junk you have to buy (cargo cover, gas cap, floor mats, center armrest)
  • barsonbarson Member Posts: 34
    As I posted elsewhere, I drove a Versa with a manual transmission today. I assume it was the S trim version. Shifting struck me as smooth and easy, gearing was similar to the motorcycle I drove for many years -- could hit 6th gear at 45 mph. However at 70 mph the engine was at 3100-3200 RPM, which seemed normal (my 16 year old Subaru wagon does 3000 RPM at 70 mph). Surprisingly quiet ride. Not as stiff as the Scion xA, but that's a matter of personal preference.

How does one adjust the height of the driver's seat? I looked for a knob and couldn't find one. Is this only on the SL? I felt like I was too low because I couldn't see the hood.

Lots of leg and head room for the driver (I am 5'9"); I was too far away from the pedals with the seat all the way back.

The center console looked kind of ugly to me, especially the stereo controls -- a convex panel of flat buttons.
  • crimsonacrimsona Member Posts: 153
    I set the seat to max height and still couldn't see the hood. Get used to it, soon you won't be able to see the hood on any car. I can't see the hood on my Fit either. :P

It's a huge lever on the right hand side, next to the handbrake. If you missed it, it might be SL trim only.
    Height adjustable seats come on the SL model. There's a lever on the inboard side of the seat. You pump it up and down like a barber's chair. I think you've got to be really short to want to pump up the seat though, it's so high to start with. I find myself wishing I could pump mine down a few notches.

Ben
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    Took an SL out today, 6 speed stick. As much as I would like to have taken the car home, I am in Florida, and home is Maryland, and my current car is in Maryland.
    I was quite impressed, though more time behind the wheel is needed to really determine how I would feel about owning it. Overall, the car has a laid-back French air about it, very Citroenesque, and that is a good thing. I can tell it would be a great long distance car. The controls such as steering, clutch, shift action, etc, are a bit lighter than some might like. I looked for the noisy shift action, and it is slight. Believe me, if you wanted clunky and noisy, go find a 1985 Dodge Caravan.
    The Versa is on my list for sure. As with many, I wish it had a nice long cargo floor when the rear seats are folded, but that is just not to be. I am still wondering about the blue thermometer on the dash though. Both sticks I have fired up had it lit. I did start a CVT before the 6MT today, and I did not recall seeing the icon lit on that one.
  • doromachidoromachi Member Posts: 21
    It's simply a light to tell you that the engine is not warmed up, so to speak. Similar to a gauge when first started which moves when the water temp get warmer. Probably the one that did not display Blue had been driven recently and was still warm as far as the temp was concerned.

I believe one should take it easy on quick starts, high revs until the Blue Light is gone.
    my blue light goes out about 2 miles of driving, just remeber that the bluw light is only telling you, that the engine is cold. If it gets hot, the red temp light goes on.

tony
  • kalmankalman Member Posts: 1
    This is a great car for the money.Yes it has some minor issues as other people have pointed out.Noisy shifter,weird cargo area,hanging idle between shifts and although I am only on second tank of gas(first tank used 8l/100km which should be better),fuel economy could be better and dumb gear ratios-I still say this car is a great "green" car.I have had Audi Allroad(a fantastic car),Mazda 6-v6,Porsches(928s4 and 930-I still own them),Honda civic vx,Subaru(impreza wagon and Outback VDC).This little car so far seems to be a very competent almost European flavoured great vehicle.
  • jpmccormacjpmccormac Member Posts: 98
    FYI: _Consumer Reports_ Magazine will have a full test report on the Versa in the December 2006 issue.
  • barsonbarson Member Posts: 34
    I think the Versa would be a better choice for a family than the xA. The Versa seemed to have better acceleration (probably due to the bigger engine) when getting onto the highway and a smoother road feel than the xA. Since I'm single and like the xA's better MPG, that's what I bought. But I thought the Versa was a solid vehicle.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Generally, people consider a timing chain superior to a timing belt. This is true, especially if an owner does not adhere to the factory recommended maintenance schedule. Timing chains will last a long time, whereas belts must be changed periodically - typically at 60K intervals. That being said, the timing belt (proper name: Gilmer belt) is durable, quiet, and cheap to purchase. Labor costs to replace a timing belt are no higher than to replace a timing chain in an OHC engine design. A timing chain parts cost is much higher than a timing belt. Properly maintained, a timing belt design is reliable. Obviously, there are trade-offs to both designs, as timing chains tend to stretch over time and once this occurs beyond the capability of the tensioner to take up the slack, it must be changed out as well. It all comes down to proper maintenance. Don't change your timing belt at the specified intervals, and you'll end up with bent valves and holed pistons in an interference engine design. Thankfully, many new engine designs which use timing belts are non-interference designs, and if the belt should break, no harm in done.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The transmission on the Fit was what prevented me from getting it. My commute is all highway, and at 70mph the RPM is already about 3500 and the traffic moves closer to 75mph. The buzzing engine would drive me crazy. Plus I needed cruise, and you can't get it with the base Fit, and the Fit Sport has the exterior cosmetics I don't like (I'm 40, not 14yrs old!). I also have a Ford Freestyle and I love the CVT. At 70mph it runs at about 1900rpm and is really smooth, and I'm hoping the Versa's CVT is just as smooth and quite on the highway.
    You'll be happy with the CVT. It's geared way taller than the 6sp. At 75 tach reads 2400 on level ground. With the 6sp it's about 3000. Versa starts to get noisy above 3000 rpm so the CVT is a godsend if you drive at 75 or 80. I've had it all the way up to 120. Cruising at 100 and it's taching only 3500. The 6sp hits 3500 at about 80.

Ben
  • joannerjoanner Member Posts: 10
    I hope you don't mind a newbie posting here. I am sorta on my own trying to pick out a new small hatchback.

I test drove a Nissan Versa this afternoon. The car seemed really responsive and the brakes seem fine (Consumer Reports didn't particularly like the breaking). Out on the highway, the car seemed to sway a little bit in a very minor wind. I didn't like the trunk at all. The seats don't fold down completely. But my overall impression was good.

So now comes dealing with the salesperson. He told me that they are selling so good that I could put in an order for the exact vehicle I wanted and then if I didn't like it, I would not be obligated to buy it. So we sat down and customized one for me. I wanted CVT and ABS definitely. Those were the only things that what I wanted for "options." Then they tell me (manager also) that I HAVE to get mats and splash guards (the splash guards were about $100). I'm thinking why do they call them options when you don't have a choice? They said it is Nissan who insists on that. Anyway this is the breakdown of the cost of the car they are ordering with my name on it:

Versa 1.85 SLHBCVT, ABS, mats, splash guards, $16575 (dealer fee: 397.00; I thought I read somewhere that that is considered padding the price), waste tire and battery fee (6.50), with taxes and title registration) total comes to: 18,272.21. Not negotiable. I would have a trade in.

So all you experts on dealing with dealers, does this sound like a good deal? I am also going to be looking at the Mazada 3 hatchback. (I didn't like the Honda or Toyota).

My father recently passed away and he was my main source of information on all this stuff.

HELP ME!
This discussion has been closed.