Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Test Drive reports

2»

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Definitely look at the Mazda3 first. And also check out the Rabbit, it's a very nice hatchback also and if you can live with a 3-door car, a 6-speed automatic with 16" alloys would run about $17k.
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    Depends on how quick you want the car. Many people (including myself) have been told by dealers that SL CVT with ABS won't be available until February, so if you want to wait that long, then I'd say go for it, but plan on paying MSRP. And try to sell your old car yourself because depending on what it is, they may only give you half of what it's really worth.

Also, you might want to look at the Ford Focus 5 door. You'll be able to deal on those versus paying MSRP for the Versa, so the price might be the same.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Versa 1.85 SLHBCVT, ABS, mats, splash guards, $16575 (dealer fee: 397.00; I thought I read somewhere that that is considered padding the price), waste tire and battery fee (6.50), with taxes and title registration) total comes to: 18,272.21. Not negotiable. I would have a trade in.

Does not sound like a very good deal to me. When we talked to a local Nissan dealership about a Versa SL with CVT and ABS, our OTD quote was more like $17,700. Of course, it did help that there were no such "option requirements (what an oxymoron)" like the floor mat and splash guards, so with those thrown-in, my price would have gotten a little closer to your quoted price. But the fact remains that you do not care for those options and are being forced to take them. And that makes it a bad deal.

Mazda3 drives very nicely, although it is not exactly a fuel saving leader. But I do like the way it handles.
  • rbrittinghamrbrittingham Member Posts: 11
    Everything is relevant to what YOU are willing to settle for and your urgency in purchasing or needing this car. We are paying less than you stated and we are obtaining a Convenience PKG. We were VERY FIRM that floor mats and splash guards were optional. I stated that the Dealer cannot have something both ways. If an item is optional then I have the choice to purchase it (unless item is part of another PKG). If it is not optional, then it should be part of the Invoice of the car or the MSRP, and no extra charge should be made. One doesn't go to the grocery store to buy chicken, and be told they must purchase a steak with the chicken or they can't buy the chicken. For the price of the floor mats one can go on a great air flight. Our dealer finally settled with us and we do not have to obtain either floor mats nor splash guards. HOWEVER, based on the items we want on our car, we do have to wait until Feb., but for us this is not a problem. You need to determine your needs, as this is YOUR car and not the Dealers or Salesperson's. Good luck!
  • joannerjoanner Member Posts: 10
    Thanks very much for the excellent posts. About those mats and splash guards, the sales manager told me it was NOT the dealership's decision but it was the Nissan company's policy. That certainly raised a red flag to me. They also told me the vehicle should be here in about 4-6 weeks (before the end of 2006). I'm not in any rush to buy.
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I think the dealer is being honest with you. Manufacturers often publish options list, but then some options are not even available and others are shipped to the dealer even if the dealer "unchecks" that option box.

The pricing sounds reasonable. The car is in short demand, as are all small imports due to the recent gas crisis. If you want a 2006 Dodge or Chrysler (other than the Caliber), however, Chrysler seriously overproduced and there are some killer deals. (I didn't really think you'd be interested. :) )

The one area in which you want to be careful is your tradein. Take it to a local carwash and negotiate a minor "trade in" detailing to spiff it up (about $100), then take it to a Carmax, if there is one near you, to get it appraised. When you go to the Nissan dealer for your Versa, it's your option to "sell" it to the dealer (Nissan or Carmax) that offered you the better price. Be sure to get the appraisal not more than a week before you go in to pick up your Versa. Be sure the car is really clean looking, it really does influence the trade-in price. Don't worry about last-minute oil changes and service, good dealers have to do it over again anyway since they don't usually trust owner service logs.

Getting your Versa after the first of the year is a good time. As a first year model, the first few months of production tend to be the "buggiest" as the assembly line settles down. After the first of the year you'll probably get a reasonably defect free car since the production line will have been up and running about 9 monts by then.

Your Versa should be a lot of fun. It wasn't designed in Japan or America - it's more of a European design, with a Renault version sold in Europe. So it should be a lot less boring than most small cars. (The transmission should be pretty reliable, too, Nissan has made a lot of CVT's and unlike some other companies has figured out how to do it right.)

Oh yeah, the other way to watch your purchase costs is to find out how much an extended Nissan (not third party) warranty costs on-line, and get your dealer to match or come close (or buy it on-line later). The "extras" thrown at you in the finance and insurance department are often more profitable to the dealer than the car itself - and those profits are credited to the F&I person, not to your salesperson or the sales department.
    It wasn't designed in Japan or America - it's more of a European design, with a Renault version sold in Europe.

I see this type of comment so often on the internet. A terrible misconception. A Nissan car does not become European just because a common global platform is used. The Versa/Tiida are NOT European designs. No French engineers were involved in designing it, other than the platform. The only thing that is Renault about it is that its B-Platform was jointly developed by Nissan and Renault, and this platform was developed independently of the Versa/Tiida. Everything else was completely designed by Nissan. Some out there are even saying that the Versa is a rebadged Megane, and I am pretty sure that those have never even seen a Megane in person. There is no Renault version of the Versa, and there is no Nissan version of the Renault Megane or whatever. If you looked at the Megane in person, you would know right away that it is not a Versa by any manner or means. There is nothing in common between the Megane and Versa/Tiida except for the B-Platform.

If having a jointly designed platform makes a Nissan car European, then all these Nissans would have to be European designs, which cannot be further from the truth:

B-Platform: Nissan March, Micra, Cube, Tiida, NOTE, Wingroad, Bluebird Silphy

C-Platform Nissan LaFesta, Sentra, Serena
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Regarding the Japanese ve Europeanness of the Versa, Magazines have said the same thing, the car rides more European then a Japanese car. If the platform is jointly deveopled by the french and Japanses then the car does have some european roots.. I'll stand by my statement, The Versa rides more European then Japanses...

Tony
    The Versa rides more European then Japanses

I tend to agree regarding the Versa's quality of ride. To me, it feels more German than French, at least at the lower speed. I have never driven the current Modus nor Clio (Lutesia), and I do wonder how the Versa's ride compares with these Renaults that use the same Alliance B-platform. I once heard a design engineer of the Tiida say that, if he had been allowed a higher price point, he would have given the Tiida a ride quality like the Golf. So there may have been a desire on the part of the Nissan design team to tune it with a European taste (remember - No Renault personnel was involved). By the way, the Versa rides more firmly than the JDM Tiida. They apparently tuned the Versa for a higher speed application in the U.S.

By the way, the Versa/Tiida's B-Platform is actually based on the platform used in the JDM Nissan Cube Cubic, meaning that it is a further Japanized version of the original Alliance B-Platform used in the Modus and Clio.
    Jacksan one of the US car mag's wrote that the Versa as well as the US Sentra are based off a Renault platform, but you keep saying that the Versa is not. But how the US versa rides much more European then Japanses I have to wonder if its not based on a European platform.

Tony
    From today's New York Times:

6. NISSAN VERSA ($17,205) Based on the Renault Mégane, this is the closest thing to a French car you’ll find at an American dealership, and it’s worth a toast of Veuve Clicquot. A half-size larger than rivals like the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris, the Versa is roomier than you’d expect. It also handles better than your basic econobox and has scored well in crash tests. For a lot of small families, it may be all the car they need.
    THANK YOU.....

So far 7600 miles on the car and I still love, I wished it had the Sunroof tho.. But the more and more I drive it the more I like it.

Tony
  • ethan8ethan8 Member Posts: 13
    I see there is still confusion about the Versa's platform. I have read so many different things in creditable magazines that I really don't care anymore. Some say it is a B ,some say a longer version of the B. I have read that it shares its platform with the Clio and then I have read it is shared with the Megane. The clio is probably more correct because of the size. The Megane is Jetta sized. One would have to find out what the wheelbase of the two Renault cars are and match it to the Versa. They really do not look a lot alike. There are some things like the new clio headlights that are similar. You can see this was not just a badge engineering job. Just so some of you can see the Renault cars. Here is the older Clio sedan
    image\
    2007 clio hatch
    Megane sedan
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    ethan8: I'm 99.9% sure Nissan considers this their "B" platform based on the cars cars that identified. I think the alpha code is just to equate to its size and its intended market. The Sentra is built off of Nissan's "C" platform (Civic, Corolla, Mazda 3) and the Altima "D" (Accord, Camry, Malibu). Obviously when then are talking sharing platforms, normally only the main underpinnings are shared. Much is changed to adapt to each market and how the vehicle will fit within the manufacturer lineup and against the competition.
    I just got my Road and Track this month, and they tested four or five small cars with hot engines. The Sentra SE-R was on their list.

But wait, this isn't a post about econo rockets, its a question about noise levels, and here is where my question comes from: that Sentra was rated at only 70 dB at 70 mph, vs. 74 dB in a VW GTi; the other cars in the test were at 74 dB, except for one other at 70 dB. (I think for every 3 dB difference there is a perceived doubling in sound level.)

As I get older, minor differences in handling, gas mileage, and acceleration seem to matter less to me than peace and QUIET.

So,

How quiet is the Versa? It seems like Nissan might be building quieter cars, based on the Sentra test, but how about the Versa?
    Nothing beats actually driving one to see how quiet the car is TO YOU.

I have met people who think their Saturns were quiet, while I could not hear myself THINK.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Actually every 3 db is a doubling of the energy needed to create the sound. To the ear though, that difference is barely audible.
    Wikipedia has a fairly opaque article on dB and you are right about the doubling of energy. BUT I couldn't find anything about the audibility difference; I do know my Impala rated at 67 dB in some magazine tests does seem much quieter than the typical econocar I drive - which are apparently closer to 74 dB (with the possible exception of the Sentra etc.).

If you have any information about (or links to) perceptible sound levels, please fill us in.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Sheesh - nobody can look anything up themselves. ;)

http://www.soundstage.com/interviews/int07.htm

The article above is one of many discussing the 3db threshold (maybe not the best, but one of the firt to pop up in google). Everybody can hear differently, but 3db is the industry standard for audio. Look at freq respons of speakers and they are almost always = or - 3dB

The jist is you can hear a 3 dB increase in sound, but you have to be paying attention. Look at a volume knob of a reciever that is calibrated in dB and turn it up 3. Not a huge difference.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This is the place to discuss what the Versa driving experience is like. How does it handle? How's the road noise? Is it comfortable on longer trips? All those subjective issues that make up the "driving experience"
  • arcadianwingsarcadianwings Member Posts: 5
    How does it handle?
    >>> I can't say I'm very impressed by Versa at high speed on the highway. With its taller stance, it's quite susceptible to sway under side wind. However, the steering feel is great at all speeds and combine with the firm suspension to give it a solid-feeling ride, unless one likes the "smushy" handling of old Buick LeSabre.

How's the road noise?
    >>> The road noise is tolerable. There are other noises that may grab one's attention as well. I find the A/C start-up noise a bit excessive. The 6-speed transmission whines and can be audible in more enclosed areas. However, it is impressively quiet at idle.

Is it comfortable on longer trips?
    >>> Definitely, yes. There are plenty of cup holders to hold enough drinks to keep one hydrated as well. :o)
    I'll just say this... my 18 year old daughter now prefers taking the 6-speed Versa over the 2001 5-speed Altima when she borrow the car. She's also hinted that she wouldn't mind becoming the primary owner of the Versa once she's allowed to have a car on campus next year :P

I've blogged a bit about it on the Alternate Route
  • nissanguy2nissanguy2 Member Posts: 2
    Greetings Everyone!

My 07 Versa just turned over 1200 miles, so i decided to "put my foot into it" at 60 mph. Put a smile on my face!! Went to 80 in no time flat!!! Tach went to about 4200 rpm and took my foot out of it.

Yes, I know its not a muscle car, but surprised at the performance!!! Geat "econo" car! Big car ride! Smooth!!!

Great Job Nissan!!

07 Versa Sedan S
    4 Speed Auto
    DOP - 7-24-07

Bob
  • samncsamnc Member Posts: 44
    Slow in accerleration from 20 to about 50mph. Very good in picking up speed from 60mph to 80mph. at above 70mph, steering is not stable, 195/65/R15 might be a better choice for the tires to improve steering but with some loss in mpg.
  • largemarge3largemarge3 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 6-speed Versa Sedan 3-months ago. It does handle well, but that's about where the love affair ends.
    It fogs up at the slightest drop of rain, the fog can't be cleared unless I put the A/C on. There is a tremendous amount of engine noise transferred into the cab of the car. At 2700 RPM there is a howling noise. At 3000 RPM it sounds like a treadle sewing machine. The A/C is about as effective as someone blowing on you. And there is a funky clunk sound when I turn the A/C on. I get a big clunk when I go into first gear and a scary vibration at the end of the clutch, that under torque or at speed, sounds like something is shearing.
    I took the car in and the Nissan mechanic told me the howling noise was normal as was the fact that it sounded like a treadle sewing machine! I wrote to Nissan Canada and they said, basically 'TFB, we've got your money, tell someone who cares."
    I'm not a happy car owner.
    I see they're running a campaign in which Nissan is giving a Versa a week away. Good idea, get rid of them for free, cuz they sure ain't worth the money.
    Road noise is one of those subjective sort of things, so what's loud to you may be acceptable to me. But with regard to effectiveness of the AC, I have a suggestion.

I bought my Versa in February so early on the only thing I was using the AC for was defogging. Once the weather warmed up, I noticed the AC didn't seem particularly strong, so I had it checked out. Turns out that an o-ring had been pinched in assembly and the refrigerant had leaked out. They replaced the o-ring, recharged the system and it's been fine since.
  • largemarge3largemarge3 Member Posts: 3
    HI pf flyer, thanks for the tip about the AC. I did take my gray girl in for her 3-month and told them about the AC. I might ask them to check the o-ring, cuz whatever they 'did' does not seem to have made much difference.

The noise - everyone notices who rides in the car. They all say, "what is that noise?" I've never had a ride where under city conditions at 3000 rpm, I feel like I want to turn up the stereo because they car noise is louder than my music. And I have driven vintage cars.

The mechanics at Nissan tell me it is 'gear noise' :lemon: , that's fine, but it would be nice if I didn't have to listen to it at 2200 rpm and 2700 rpm.
  • grubstergrubster Member Posts: 6
    largemarge3, are the windows open or closed when you hear this noise? My Versa ( S HB with VO package) is very quiet most of the time, but I've noticed that wind-buffeting noise can get pretty bad when one or both of the rear windows are open.

Hope this helps.
    I'll say this... the sounds the Versa makes is certainly different than my Sentras made and what comes from my 2001 Altima. It's geared a bit lower in 6th gear than my Altima is in 5th and so is turning at higher RPMs, and that makes me fell like it could handle higher gearing or a 7th speed :)

But I wouldn't classify it as overly loud. It sort of seemed so at first, but I have a feeling that if I measured it, it wouldn't be significantly different.
  • grubstergrubster Member Posts: 6
    I hadn't bought a new car for over 8 years before the Versa, so I was very pleasntly surprised by how refined small cars have become in the last few years. Compared to my '00 Neon, the Versa's a Cadillac inside as far as noise goes. Even on the highway, it's possible to have a normal conversation. It's only when the windows are open that noise becomes more of an issue, at least so far.
  • anorexiakillsxanorexiakillsx Member Posts: 1
    I love driving my Versa. I barely hear any noise from the road or the engine when idling. Even starting the car is quiet. The only thing that bothers me is that I can't see the hood of the car, even when I inflate the seat. Right-hand arking is harder for me, and that might be a reason, or I just suck at parking. :blush:
    I like my Versa as well. I'm getting used to not seeing the hood. Was a little disconcerting at first. Parking close to curbs has taken a bit of getting used to as well, but that might have been me just being cautious with a new vehicle.

We're going to need another vehicle in about a year for my one daughter, and she's hinted she wants MY Versa!
  • nileecoyotenileecoyote Member Posts: 4
    I can't see the hood either but I have more issues with the back end. Still getting used to having a hatchback.

I recently went up to the Palomar Observatory and the handling and acceleration were stellar on the twisty mountain roads. Easily the funnest drive I've had in a long time!! :shades:
  • senojdr2senojdr2 Member Posts: 7
    Was that Fit or SH_T
This discussion has been closed.