Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Real World MPG

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about.
    30MPG is a struggle in a little 4 cylinder Versa hatchback?!! It may not get the same mileage as smaller lighter cars like the Yaris and Fit, but it should at least be close to its lower EPA estimates as the Yaris is to its higher EPA estimates.
    I see people posting similar highway mileage in V6 Malibus and even Impalas and 269HP huge Avalons and that is just so sad.
  • wulfgarwulfgar Member Posts: 38
    Very similar to our search. I liked the Civic/Mazda3 hatch best but my wife did not want to pay what they were each asking. The Fit was tough to come by with a manual which pushed it out and she dind't like the Yaris (nothing to do with the car - just her "opinion"). As she would be driving the car and our two car seats fit well she was sold.

As to a related post, I don't generally buy the high 20-odd MPG people with large cars are touting. Again, I question whether they truly average (over the course of time) that mileage or just hit that on the digital gauge in a single point in time. I also know we would not get that type of mileage. For example, I have heard rave reviews of the GM 3.8 V6 for highway mileage. I drove one at work for two years and it never went over 22 on the highway and my overall average was 18.6. That is not to say that it can't be done. Moreso, it can't be done with us driving (LOL!)
  • longo32longo32 Member Posts: 81
    "The Versa is not a economy car"

Tony, you are absolutely right about that. Our old 1994 Nissan Maxima that the Versa replaces....gets better MPG than our 2007 Versa!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    30 mpg is easy with most v-6 cars. On a single point in time they can easily average 40 or more.

Consumer reports has the best real world gas mileage tests. They are consistant between cars and are repeatable. They got 36 mpg highway with the V-6 Malibu. To compare apples to apples they got the Versa at 34. The Accord V-6 also got 34 on the highway.

There is a lot to like about the Versa, and I wish more companies made similar vehicles, but the mpg is not very good for a 4-cylinder.

The 150 hp 2.0 liter 4-cyl Mazda 3 got 38 mpg for CR on the highway and 42 with the manual transmission. That is about where the Versa should be - especially with the advantage of a CVT automatic and a 6 speed manual.
  • litesong1litesong1 Member Posts: 39
    Really wanted a CVT. Really wanted the Versa. Really wanted the CVT Versa for $14,000. But alas, no such luck. So I held my breath & bot(bought) a Dodge Caliber w/CVT late September 2006 for $14,000.
    We, at the various Caliber websites, have been argueing about MPG just like you, only our MPG are 15 to 20% lower than your mileages...just about the difference between EPA estimates for the Caliber & Versa. Also, like you, we have a wide spread of MPG reported. The CVTs for both the Caliber & Versa often give dramatically sub-EPA MPG. Some Caliber MPG are RRREEEAAAALLLLYYYY LLLOOOWWWW.

Fortunately, I've been blessed with a good Caliber. Good solid structure, no repairs, creaks, squeaks or rattles, & good MPG. I adore the CVT which is similar to the Versa CVT & average 28.5MPG thru the cold winter with a high of 35MPG. If I'd gotten a good Versa, I probably would have beaten my Caliber MPG.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    Our old 1994 Nissan Maxima that the Versa replaces....gets better MPG than our 2007 Versa!

As I recall, didn't the '94 Maxima come with a 3.0 liter V6?
    We have never gotten more MPG than the EPA rating in ANY vehicle so maybe I'm jaded.

In the last six vehicles I have owned, including the two that we currently have, I have exceeded the EPA ratings in every single one of them. As unrealistic as EPA ratings may be, at least in some vehicles in certain applications, they may not be an impossible dream.

My theory is that the EPA ratings in some cars are harder to attain or exceed than in others. The Versa may be in the former category (the Prius is definitely in this category). The Corolla is an example in the latter category, as it is easy to get the EPA ratings driving a Corolla.
    I double checked my numbers. CR got the Versa at 36 mpg hwy for both the CVT and manual - not the 34 I mentioned. The other numbers were correct.

36 is really not terrible - just not what it could be. I wonder if the CVT is to blame. Maybe the CVT "cheats" the EPA test somehow (kinda like the hybrids). It is curious that the manual which rated 2 mpg worse by the EPA got the same highway numbers.

BTW - I think a more dissapointing small car is the Chevy Aveo. Tiny little thing that also gets 36 mpg highway.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Maybe part of it is that neither the Versa nor Aveo has the latest fuel management technology, i.e. VVT, which is pretty common now in other small cars. The Altima does very well in fuel economy for its size, with a CVT, so I don't think the CVT per se is to blame for the Versa's fuel economy--unless Nissan didn't engineer the CVT in the Versa for optimum fuel economy.
  • kimberkenobikimberkenobi Member Posts: 21
    This may seem a bit much, but I have been tracking my gas mileage since I drove off the lot. So, if you'd like to see what a Versa actually gets as it goes (no EPA estimates or "usually"-s), you can see it here: Kimber's Versa, Page 2: Gas Mileage

:blush: (I do go a bit far, but I did take chemistry and do my own scientific project in college, and if you don't record, you can't know.)
  • flightnurseflightnurse Member Posts: 2,217
    Kimberly the only way to get the correct mileage is to drive the car till it needs to fuel. Not this 2.34 gallons or 5.3 gallons. So far you are getting what everybody else is getting...

Nothing scientfic about that..

Tony
    9000 miles and counting
    In looking for the bottom line on K's-V fuel consumption, I added up all the miles off the site and divided by the gal's and got 24.39 MPG avg. on the Blue Sopwith V.
    What I would really like to know, tho, is what were the circumstances of the trips that got nasty MPG's and also exceptional numbers...like the one trip that recorded a little over 40 mpg.
    Maybe the Sopwith likes the open road with a good strong tail wind!?
    As for your constant scrutiny for your V's mpg's, as long as you top up to the same spot each time and divide the gallons into the re-set miles on the speedo, It doesn't matter how often, or at what interval you do it.
    This way you can check for any unusual road conditions, wind factors, different fuel brands or traffic issues.
    I imagine there is also a very strong 'curiousity factor' driving your MPG system as well.
    So ...keep up with your research, we are all looking for MPG answers we are not getting from the Nissan "question lines'
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Thanks for posting your MPG kimber. Question for you: It seems the tanks you got great gas mileage (38 and 40) are followed by a tank of poor gas mileage (20 and 22). Did you completely fill the tank during those great gas mileage?

Longo32: With Versa and Caliber owners reporting less than stellar gas mileage, I wonder if the CVT is not as efficient as everyone thinks?
    This is the reply I got from an owner who has his Versa SL a/t with 9977 miles, listed on the internet, Feb 22-2007.
    I asked him the question everyone on this forum is asking, "what is your MPG on the Versa?"
    His answer...

"The best I have ever seen was about 36 when driving on the freeway, but the worst that I had ever had was 12 when I was delivering newspapers in a apartment complex. I usually see around 25 mpg. thanx"

Good thing for Nissan, the EPA dosn't post a "Delivering newspapers" rating! ;)
    Audi has a CVT too and I wonder why they are getting ?

But I keep saying this, people is MPG is your main concern get a Hybrid... The Versa is so much more then a Economy car, and I'm very happy with the car..

Tony
    The thing you have to remember is it is Nissan's entry level car and they do market the fuel economy heavily along with the points you make. So it is fair to describe this vehicle as an Economy car. Why else would people complain about the sub par gas mileage if it was not marketed as being fuel efficient? My guess is the prospect of getting 36 mpg on the highway is one the top two reasons people bought this car.
    I can't find any MPG numbers on an Audi with a CVT powertrain, but in looking at other CVT options out there, the 2007 Toyota Camry 2.4 engine Hybrid with the CVT is putting up some very nice, owner confirmed, 40+ MPG numbers on the highway. Even better is the Prius at 50+ highway MPG
    Someday perhaps, the Versa will go the Hybrid route too, that would be great! The sooner the Better.
    the only MPG #'s that Nissan talks about with the Versa is the 400 miles Per tank on the highway. Which it is possible, but that is it. Entry Level does not mean Fuel Efficient.
    the only MPG #'s that Nissan talks about with the Versa is the 400 miles Per tank on the highway.

Tony, unfortunately that is not entirely true. I have the newest Versa catalog that I have just received in the mail. And it reads, among others, as I quote from it:

"Be a high roller. Go up to 420 miles between fill-ups. Stay in the green with up to 36 mpg."

I think this line was in the old catalog prior to the release of the sedan as well.

I understand that the Versa is a very nice car, and on that basis, we nearly bought one, even though we knew that MPG was not going to be the greatest (we did not in the end because we could not locate a Versa with ABS). But I have to say that people do have a point when they say that the Versa is expected to be economical in fuel consumption. Take an extreme case, and let's suppose that the Versa were sold with the exactly the same equipment, standard or optional, at the exact same pricing as today, with everything equal, but instead could get only 20 MPG. No one would buy this car. Why not? Because there is an expectation on a car like this to be economical. If the comfort and equipment alone mattered, then people could find any number of other cars that get that kind of mileage or better, albeit paying a little more than with the Versa.

The Versa is a good car that gets a decent, if not great, mileage. But I would not subscribe to an idea that therefore people should drop the expections of economy from the Versa because economy is a huge part of any car in this segment. I think that the Versa could have done better with MPG, and personally, the mistake that Nissan made was not to bring it to North America with the HR15DE 1.5 L engine that gets at least 10% mileage than MR18DE with little sacrifice in performance.
    Jackson1

The only reason why you didn't buy a Versa was because you couldn't find one with ABS. So MPG wasn't a issue to not buy one.. So my point again is MPG isn't stopping people from buying one. I haven't read a single post that says, "If I knew that the Versa wouldn't get the kind of mileage that the window sticker says, I wouldn't have bought the car."

I am getting 330 to 340 miles per tank, which is by far much better then my Contour had gotten. The EPA well be revision how they calculate the MPG it posts on cars very soon, ALL cars MPG (On the window sticker) will go down.
    The EPA are changing the way they measure mpg figures starting in 2008, and it's long past time.
    The new tests will start with the car at 20°F. The old tests started at 75°F. Why? A cold vehicle uses more energy than a warm one. Cold temperatures are especially hard on batteries so expect hybrid mpg ratings to drop too.
    The new tests will use a real-world maximum highway speed of 80mph instead of 60mph. At that higher speed, more engine rpm's are needed to overcome drag than to actually keep the vehicle moving at speed.
    The new test will includes hard acceleration. The old EPA test used gentle acceleration. This one is also going to affect hybrids because hard acceleration relies on the regular gasoline engine.
    The new test now assumes that air conditioning is used at least 13% of the time. The old test didn't use air conditioning at all! 13% is the mean average for all major cities across all times of year for the US.
    On this they should also add, "your air conditioning use will vary"
    The only reason why you didn't buy a Versa was because you couldn't find one with ABS. So MPG wasn't a issue to not buy one.. So my point again is MPG isn't stopping people from buying one. I haven't read a single post that says, "If I knew that the Versa wouldn't get the kind of mileage that the window sticker says, I wouldn't have bought the car."

The MPG WAS a big issue for us when we were looking around at cars in the last round - it was not the only issue, however, and for the Versa, we were willing to let MPG not be the decisive issue, but rather, be one of the factors to be weighed. In our car shopping weighting system, we assigned a "veto" score on any car on which we could not have the ABS equipped. We also assigned a cut-off point for MGP below which no vehicles would be considered. As I said in my earlier post, if the Versa were to get something like 20 MPG, it would not have been on our list at all even if it had come with ABS. We were willing to say that, if the Versa can get the kind of numbers that people were generally reporting, we could probably live with it, assuming that ABS was readily available (which was not the case for us). That did not mean, though, we had no reservations about the Versa MPG.

Different people weigh the MPG variable differently in their car consideration. However, I personally know more than a few people who have said to me, in person, that they would not consider the Versa at all because of what they have heard and read about its MPG characteristics. You also wrote that you had not seen a single post from anyone who said, "If I knew that the Versa wouldn't get the kind of mileage that the window sticker says, I wouldn't have bought the car." However, if you look at the Versa Real-World MPG thread in this forum, you will find that more than a few posters have said something to the extent that "Had we known that's all the mileage the Versa would get, we would not have bought one." I have also seen the same kind of sentiment expressed over at NICO Forum's Versa thread.

My ultimate point is that the MPG is always a factor, especially for a car like the Versa. To say that it is not an issue at all for the Versa, that if one cared about MPG, he or she should just get a hybrid, is too radical a statement for many to take, including myself. It IS and has been a factor for me and for many people, and a car like the Versa cannot help but invite a higher weighting in the MPG category than cars in other, larger segments. It's just the nature of the game.
    If only car buying were that simple! Keep your bill, take the car home, and if in a week or so you find it's a Dog take it back to the Dealership and get your money back.
    Today my wife and I took our new Versa SL CVT on a nice easy 120 mile round trip to 'town'.
    Did a little shopping and returned home with the cruise set at about 65 mph. (100 miles Highway driving, 20 miles in town)
    Topped up the tank, did the numbers (120 miles, divide by 5.5 gals) and got a ghastly round trip reading of 21.8 MPG.
    Think we would take this $22,000 car back if we could?

You Betcha!
    WOW my Versa has never gotten anything less then 27... On my trip to San Diego, driving 80 I got 29...

Tony
  • lemonhaterlemonhater Member Posts: 110
    Didn't all that starting up of the car after each trip to the store affect milliage? I Personally think Nissan's numbers are out of wack but not by that much. Finally what are the traffic conditions? Stop and go driving kills gas millage.
    Here are some threads of intrest: link title

and link title
  • bigmikey44bigmikey44 Member Posts: 3
    Hey flight nurse IF I HAD KNOWN that THE VERSA WOULD NOT GET ME 36 MPG I WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED IT !!!!!
    NOW YOU HAVE HEARD SOMEONE SAY IT .
    I need the fuel mileage I want Nissan to post a better number on the window. I was told by Nissan the range was 30 to 40 MPG for this car so they picked a "mid range number" but no one seems to be able to get close to that estimate. I also own a Hyundia Elantra also rated on the window at 36 MPG I am now driving it and my wife has the Versa and I am BEATING the window estimate 41.9, 37.6 and 38.2MPG on the same highway at the same speed. Nissan needs to get thier act together.
    Hey Mikey if you want mileage then either get yourself a Hybrid, PEIORD... Doesn't what hybrid you buy it well get better mileage...

BTW, Nissan isn't the one who "posts" those numbers, its the US Government. What is so funny is, this has been happening for years, and for the life of me, can't figure out why people are so upset, the Pirus was rated at 60 in the city and we all know that isn't right, so why is it such a supirse to people that thier Versa aren't getting what the EPA says its supose to get...
    Tony, I don't need to buy a HYBRID to beat the MPG of my Versa....my 1997 Buick Park Ave Ultra Supercharged, will do it, our 1994 Nissan Maxim will do it, and even my Honda Odyssey will do it.
    I wonder what the local Hyundai dealer would give me on a Versa trade in, one month old?
    You don't need a hybrid to get good mileage. My brother has an Accord (much larger and more powerfull than a Versa) that gets him 38 mpg average on his commute (It is a stick shift so that helps). He can get 41 or 42 If he keeps his speed real low on pure highway driving.

That car is rated 34 on the highway - the 36 rated versa should be able to match that.

I think part of the problem is that the CVT "cheats" the EPA a little. CR got both the CVT and manual at 36 mpg even though the cvt is rated 36 and the manual is rated 34 (EPA).

The Versa is a nice package and Nissan can do efficient vehicles (the new Altima is best in class at 26/35), but the Versa certainly could be more efficient.

BTW CR got the 2.0 liter Mazda 3 at 42 mpg with the stick shift on the highway - that is with a 150 hp 2.0 liter engine. 36 mpg (also from CR)from a smaller vehicle with a 1.8 is far from where is could/should be.
    The EPA numbers on new car windows are more like..'Make a Wish'. Finally, after threats of congressional investigations, in 2008, the EPA are having to revise testing methods that have been the joke of the industry for 30 years or more. Unfortunatly the joke has been on us new car buyers!

They have been getting away with posting the results of a dynamometer test in a closed building, no vehicle air conditioning on, no hard acceleration, 75 degrees F, and a brief top test speed of barely 60 mph. and then, for legal reasons, adding the fine print..."your mileage will vary"

New car buyers gaze longingly at these unworldly numbers and nervously hope their mileage doesn't vary. It wouldn't, of course, if you just gently ran it in the garage on a dynamometer.

In Canada, to make the numbers look even more impressive to the new car buyer, they print the 'Buyers Hope List' in "Imperial Units". (20% more MPG's than U.S. gallons)
    EPA numbers on my VERSA SL still show 36 mpg in town, and 46 mpg highway on the window sticker!

When was the last time you were able to fill up with "Imperial Gallons"? We have had the Metric System for nearly 35 years, but boy, do those inflated U.K. gallons and miles numbers look great on the window sticker, compared to the Metric readings (for which we still don't even have a word for (liters per hundred kilometers)... 'Kilamidge?'... 'LiphKers'? much less a practical application without converting back to MPG's. Sorry, LiphKer Lovers, the rest of North America is still measured in miles, not Kilamidges.

In 2008 the EPA numbers are grudgingly backed off a little, due to new EPA testing regulations in effect for all cars. In the U.S., for the Versa, it's now 26 and 33...still too high, by the way, but a small concession to the angry Hybrid Owner mobs with burning torches at the EPA doors.

Consumer Reports are the only ones doing any honest testing. They secretly BUY all the cars they test, to avoid any Manufacturer's "Hanky Panky" or Car/Auto/GearHead Magazine affiliations with the Manufacturers, at the first stage of testing. Then Consumer Reports drives them like the rest of us do every day on the way to work, cold starts, Mad Max conditions in rush hour "stop and go" driving, with the a/c on from time to time.

Under those Real-World Conditions, THE VERSA GETS 20 MPG!
    The old numbers are not as optomistic as one might think. Yes they may test at low speeds, but they subract 22% from the number they measure to make up for things like higher speeds etc. (multiply the EPA highway number by 1.28 to get the measured number) So the numbers have been dumbed down already before these new 2008 numbers.

Some cars easily achieve their EPA numbers and beyond. Others (like the Versa) don't.
  • kimberkenobikimberkenobi Member Posts: 21
    Okay, gonna try to tie up what I can …

Tony: umm… not sure what to say to that other than this: according to the manual, 3 gallons should always be left in the tank, so I try to catch my Versa when it reads ¾ because that is where I get a 10 gallon fill up. The small fill ups usually have more to do with if I’m about to enter Louisville or want to make it to a certain destination before filling up or if the prices are about to jump here (when they jump where I live they jump 10-20 cents and stay for a few days before coming back down). Oh, and my name is Kimber if you don’t mind. I have a bit of an issue about that.

Longo: Since I’m staying in town now and just going to and from work, I’m going to try to get to ¾ every time I fill. So far I have only put BP gas into my Versa and after I get 6 to 8 fills in a row I’m going to try only filling at the ¼ mark (which is where I get 2.5 to 3 gallons) and see what happens. After that I’ll see what happens with other brands of gas (avoiding Marathon like the plague, but Shell and Speedway are fairly large where I live).
    Curiosity is a big part of it, as is a slightly OCD tendency… My usual driving consists of driving through town to the highway (approx 12 miles) then a highway sprint (another 10 miles) then a short hop off the highway to the P&P office (2 miles, absolute tops). Part of my highway jaunt is open area between what Kentucky deems hills and it can get fairly windy, but from the west (so no tail wind there since I’m driving N-S).

dtownfb: I fill my tank till the pump stops every time and verify that the marker reaches F before driving away from the pump. Does that answer your question? I’m going to do some stints filling from the ¾ mark and then jump to the ¼ mark to see if maybe there’s an internal problem making the mileage crappy on those longer stints… it’s a long shot, but worth investigating. It’ll take at least four months till there’s any preliminary data, but I’m holding off on doing the ¼ because of the time it’ll take to do…

And I’ve had to move my cardomain site about, so the mileage tracker has moved to page 3->Mileage Tracker
    Um... I think I'm going to try to keep a more detailed "events" diary for the mileage tracker so that we can see more than just the numbers. If you're not interested, you can disregard, but if you are interested, well, I'm interested so it'll be up there. I just need to run down this tank of gas first. I think I've got two or three days of fuel left (unless I take a trip to Lex or Lou).
    <<<dtownfb: I fill my tank till the pump stops every time and verify that the marker reaches F before driving away from the pump. Does that answer your question? I&#146;m going to do some stints filling from the ¾ mark and then jump to the ¼ mark to see if maybe there&#146;s an internal problem making the mileage crappy on those longer stints… it&#146;s a long shot, but worth investigating. It&#146;ll take at least four months till there&#146;s any preliminary data, but I&#146;m holding off on doing the ¼ because of the time it&#146;ll take to do…>>>

That is exactly what I was asking about. I just thought it was odd that your great mileage was followed by poor MPG fill-ups. It's nice to see real data like this. I keep a similar mileage log in my glove compartment. great way of tracking the affects of maintenance as well.
  • agalnamedmarieagalnamedmarie Member Posts: 2
    It's interesting to me to see this debate. I had heard a whiff of it from the internet, but bought the Versa anyway. A good friend has had it for 3 months, and has averaged between 30-35 mpg. So, I knew it was do-able. She's a big enviornmentalist and wishes she could get an even more efficient car, but she tracks it well. Mine on 3 tanks (2 ones pumped by me) has averaged almost 40 (3.85 for the three -- I didn't average each tank yet, but just overall, as I average gas costs biweekly), a little better than my 95 Honda Civic did, so I am happy. I have driven pretty similarly the past 2 weeks, and it's beating my old car. I would love to have it be trouncing it, but I couldn't afford a new Civic (like them) and the Versa was a great, fun buy.

I do mostly city/suburban driving with short highway stints, and I drive a lot for work. Most of the day is start and go. I do, however, have a long-held habit of trying not to accellerate much/driving very slow and steady. I hope the numbers continue to hold up.
    So you are saying that,

"I do mostly city/suburban driving with short highway stints, and I drive a lot for work. Most of the day is start and go." and you are averaging "almost 40 mpg" !!?

Pardon me if I reach for a Barf Bag.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Hmm. A statistical outlier? Claim of about 40 mpg in the city when many others struggle to attain 30+ on the highway.
    Maybe that Versa got a hybrid motor installed by mistake.
    Either than or the gas pumps had Canadian gallons.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Right now I'm getting inthe range if 28.5 to 30 in mixed drivng. Only have about 1200 miles on the car, it's winter fuel, so I figure to see a bit of an improvement ahead.

I don't ever expect to get close to 40. That's a third more than I'm getting now. Maybe I can figure a way to drive downhill to everything :P My '96 Sentra with 235,000 miles on it is getting 35 around town here, and still hits 40 on long highway runs. But it's 300# lighter than the Versa and has a 1.6 vs the 1.8 engine. I wouldn't expect the Versa to match that mileage
  • russvagtrussvagt Member Posts: 5
    I will have to say if Nissan had posted the real MPG (like most people are reporting a ghastly 20MPG) I and nobody in their right mind would have put the Versa on their list of prospects to even look at. Heck I own a 1996 4x4 S10 Blazer 4.3L that avg's 18.5 mpg. I Know people with Suburbans getting 18 mpg. The point is and mostly every body that has posted here has made the same point, that a car in this class should get better gas mileage then it does, and the one and only one time I did better then avg was 99% highway at 60mph 232 miles 27.9 mpg.

GOTO www.fueleconomy.gov look up th 07 Versa ??

We have 4075 miles on the car and just two days ago the SES light came on , I had my local autozone check the code for me (because they do it for free and in about 2 minutes) both banks of the O2 sensors are bad. So the Versa goes into the shop for warranty.

We have been tracking the gas mileage for the last 2k and we avg 20.1 mpg . Mostly city driving and now in the cold we are getting 18.5 , 17.5, 17.7 mpg , in the fall we were getting 22.8, 23.16, 20.99 mpg.

I have been in contact the salesperson that sold us the car and his best advice was to take a road trip.

If I could I would return it for a full refund.
    Russ, either the O2 sensors were causing the problems or its how you are driving the car.I was one of the first to have a versa on this forum and I have 9300 miles on my versa. I average combined 28mpg. On the freeway around here in Phoenix, I drive between 70-80mph.

I have played with the car in changing my driving habits, I got as low as 23, but that was nailing the throttle from a standing start and lefting the RPMs rev to about 5K. But in normal driving, there really isn't no reason to do that, the CVT really makes the most of the torque the engine makes if the RPM are around 3K.

I suggest you start at the being thread on the Versa MPG and just go through what people have posted. You will see that 28 is about average for this board, and its a good sampling of people..

Tony
    Bad O2 sensors can kiil your mileage. So in your case, it remains to be seen whether or not your mileage improves after they are replaced. I have a feeling that those MPGs in teens were indeed caused by the O2 sensors.

Be that as it may, while O2 sensors going bad after only 4,000 miles may explain a poor MPG average, it does not exactly make a good case for the car's reliability.
    "the salesperson that sold us the car and his best advice was to take a road trip."

WOW russvagt, I hope you told HIM about sex and travel.

If the O2 Sensors in your Versa are both bad, driving like a Nascar Racer will not suddenly make it all better.
    A couple of other symptoms might be evident as well if the O2's are shot, you might notice some black smoke from the tailpipe, and/or a 'rotten egg' smell to the exhaust.

If the O2's are gone in any vehicle tho, bad MPG is always the result, as the engine is running too rich a mixture.

My Versa sucks gas like a gravel truck too, so, if it's just bad OEM O2 sensors, you might be on the way to solving the Bad MPG mystery...please, don't forget to keep the rest of us Versa Gas Guzzler owners up to date on the outcome.
    A couple of other symptoms might be evident as well if the O2's are shot, you might notice some black smoke from the tailpipe, and/or a 'rotten egg' smell to the exhaust.

Actually, bad O2 sensors can act like early phases of cancer. They may not cause any physical symptoms, but the car's appetite changes. I had an experience with O2 sensors going bad once. Nothing like smoke or smell. The gas mileage just dropped like a cliff (it helps to know what you are usually getting), and sure enough, it was those sensors.
  • russvagtrussvagt Member Posts: 5
    I will keep ya posted,,,,, just for giggles what is everyone getting for MPG on their CVT Versa ?

We are in southern MN and a couple weeks in FEB temps were in the -10 to -20 , we keep our Versa in our garage (it's not a heated garage) and several times the car would not start, it just cranked and cranked and cranked.....tried a few seconds later and it started right up. HMMMM....

Like I posted before "if I could I would return it."

This is my wife's car and to have her stranded or the possibility of it leaving her stranded make me nervous.
  • pixel1pixel1 Member Posts: 14
    Just purchased an 07 SL with CVT and ABS. We live in a rather mountainous area of southern Oregon, and 80% of driving is city/county. Only filled up twice so far; first tank avg 28.3mpg, second got 27.9. Not quite what we expected, but feel it's pretty good considering the type of driving. Should find out soon what we'll get on a highway trip.
    pixel1, No one warned us about a little CVT quirk the Versa, and probably the rest of the makes that run the same powertrain, has. When the engine idles down at a stop, the CVT loses its grip, so to speak.
    If you are stopped going up a hill (or in your case, a Mt.) the car will roll backwards. So a little fancy footwork on the brake is needed to keep your Versa out of the grill of the guy behind you.
    Interesting when I'm at a stop, I have to keep my foot on the brake as the car wants to inch forward....
    Not sure if this is just a CVT thing..My old trecel certainly would roll back if stopped on a step enough hill, The CVT on the versa isn't quite as gripy as an automatic transmission, and I wouldn't be surprised if it were a tad more prone to roll back, but any car can do it under the right conditiins.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    Perhaps the cvt gets better city mpg than the auto because the cvt does not try to move the car forward at idle speed. Try driving a stick shift in San Francisco, you need 3 feet.
    Niels