Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Versa Real World MPG

Comments

• comuteguycomuteguy Member Posts: 2
    Design flaw preventing better MPG for 2008 Versa.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'm still getting 32-35 mpg out of my Versa depending on the amount of highway miles and contingent on staying away from ethanol-blended fuel.

Even though I'm happy with the mielage, it does feel like cars in general could get more out of each gallon, but I'm afraid that's going to have to come from giving up the added weight of a lot of the add ons that we've become accustomed to in our vehicles.

That brings up an interesting question... would you trade some convenince and safety for mileage? The weight of airbag systems. The comfort of air conditioning. There's a lot of stuff on our cars now that eats into mileage.
    Being forced to use ethanol laced fuel has cut my mileage basically by 10%. I know that driving styles can have a big impact on mileage performance, but I've ALWAYS gotten EPA numbers on all my cars. Now it's pretty much impossible.

I wonder how many mileage complaints you see online are caused in part by the ethanol hit?
  • rpm7rpm7 Member Posts: 4
    comuteguy, I agree. My 2008 Honda Fit has plenty of torque, a good-feeling ride and handling, and in about 20 tanks I averaged around 40mpg. In this class the Fit is a great choice.
  • prophphreakprophphreak Member Posts: 1
    I compute my fuel economy on every tank of gas - a habit I got from my mother. I have been averaging 28-29 mpg using regular -(87 octane) fuel for the city driving.
    On long distance trips - with 3 adults and 1 child - I have averaged 42-44 mpg using the Air Conditioner it is 42 - w/o AC it is 44. I'm a conservative driver which means I do not do jack rabbit starts and don't speed either. I set the cruise at exactly 70 on the interstate, and observe the posted speed limits religiously. I want to set a positive example for my children, and community that shows that I'm not fuelish.
  • jacksan1jacksan1 Member Posts: 504
    A wonderful habit it is to drive a fuel-efficient car with good driving manners. I often say to my wife that, hey, we all get there, so why pollute unnecessarily in the process?

On a tangential note, I recently rented a Hyundai Sonata (I4, not V6) for three days, and was pleasantly surprised to have gotten 35.2 MPG for the tank (95% highway). With a car like this, I couldn't help but drive conservatively, and it showed in the gas mileage! :)
  • paul_in_vicpaul_in_vic Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    We purchased a Versa hatchback with CVT (variable) automatic transmission last fall. We now have 13k on it, but the mileage is still poor; nearly 25% worse than published. The local dealer has been no help, and just shrugs it off. We do everything possible to squeeze the rated mileage out of it, but to no avail. Our best highway mileage of 8.4 l/100 is still far cry from the rated city mileage of 7.9 and highway mileage of 6.3 l/100 km. After all I've read, I starting to believe this vehicle was over-sold, unless someone can give me a better reason. :lemon:

Paul in Victoria
  • crutnackercrutnacker Member Posts: 41
    It seems odd that the flying wall shape of the Cube seems to be getting better mileage than the Versa, since they're both essentially the same underneath. (I know the Cube is a bit lighter, but not that much.)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I think it takes a very light foot on the CVT to get good mileage, it is very willing to deliver acceleration at the price of gas mileage!

Also a lot of us drive more city miles than we think and that kills mileage.

Have you tried filling up just before a really, really long road trip, then refilling and calculating your mileage?
  • daiseyhdaiseyh Member Posts: 1
    I love my Nissan Versa Hatchback!!! :)

I bought it new in April of 2008 in Hawaii and usually averaged between 38-42 mpg. I opted to get the upgraded packaged with the CVT transmission, bluetooth feature, and other accessories.

I was really suprised to see so many disgruntled users. In Hawaii the fastest highway speed is 60 mph, this may also have something to do with why I was getting better mileage than most users. Now that I've moved to the mainland, I'll see what my mpg will be with faster speed limts.

I hope this helps. :D
    It's been about a year now since we've been forced to use ethanol-laced fuel here in central PA. The first 18 months, using non-ethanol gas, I was getting 33-34 in mixed driving and 35-36 on the highway. (Still feels like I need 7th gear sometimes)

For the last year, I've never cracked 32 on the highway and my mixed driving is 29-30mpg. That's The Inconvenient Truth About Ethanol :mad:

But I still love my Versa!
  • fflintstone1fflintstone1 Member Posts: 19
    09 Versa CVT, on the third tank now, around 30 mpg with mixed city/highway driving. Not great... okay I guess... my other car is a Jetta TDI, ~43 mpg, and much better ride. Hope that it will improve a bit as the car breaks in.
  • twistedmuffintwistedmuffin Member Posts: 27
    Hi,

I just bought a 2009 Versa Hatchback 1.8 S. When I take my foot off the gas on the highway, the car feels like it is slowing down, not coasting like a "normal" car. Does this happen to everyone else ? I have the 4 speed auto trans, not the CVT.

Thanks
    I don't know of any vehicle that doesn't feel like it slows down on the highway when you take your foot off the gas. At highway speeds that's pretty much normal behavior since the engine is working to overcome air resistance. As soon as you lift off your foot, the air IS going to slow you down.
  • litesong1litesong1 Member Posts: 39
    I have a Dodge Caliber with a similar Nissan CVT tranny to the Versa. I agree, the CVT can get good MPG, but only if true feather footing is used. Compared to other Caliber drivers who drive their CVTs 'normally' (which isn't normal, since Americans are always in a hurry), I can get 10+% better MPG. Compared to lead-footers, I get 20+% better MPG. A classic example......when starting from a stop, carefully note if your car rises a bit on its front shocks......that is an indication that you can get better MPG, just from easing more carefully into your first acceleration from zero MPH. When you begin your forward motion, allow the front end of the car only to move straight forward......not up on its shock.
    I test drove a Toyota Yaris, and it seemed to keep rolling at the same speed, after I let up on the gas, on the hiway. Felt kind of strange, almost like the engine sucked in more gas to keep up the speed.
    On my Versa, I notice that the rpms will drop about 4k when you let off the gas, in the first 3 gears of the autotrans, but when you are in 4th gear (overdrive) it won't drop at all. So now you've got the engine drag slowing you down as well as the wind pushing you back, if you try to coast in 4th. It's acting like a manual trans in 4th gear, and like an autotrans in gears 1 thru 3.
    My last two tanks of gas with the Cube and CVT got over 32 mpg each tank...by feather footing. This included my "weekend" surface street driving as well as some commuting (I usually get much better mileage on my commute than on city street weekend driving). So I am impressed by what the CVT can deliver if you "baby" it. BTW I don't baby it ALL the time, like pulling away from the toll plaza or getting on the freeway....
    I've never had a conventional automatic (like the 4 speed in the Yaris) not shift all the way up to 4th speed, even on city streets (at least after warm up, some cars sense if the motor is cold and holds it in 3rd or doesn't lock up the torque converter until you are on the freeway).

In other words, there is NEVER a 4,000 rpm drop in engine speed - that would only happen, imho, if you were locking it in 2nd on the street or in 3rd on the freeway. Please note that with the Yaris, at least on the one I test drove, it is easy - and common - to drive on the freeway in 3rd because the way to opt out of "overdrive 4th" is to position the control lever to the left or right (I forget which) and NOT to push a button on the side of the handle (the more normal way).

All this having been said, on my Cobalt automatic the car just seemed to coast on the freeway without much engine drag. But on my wife's Odyssey, it actually feels like it is dropping a gear to provide engine breaking. One system is designed to maximize gas mileage while letting you coast, the other system is designed to maximize engine breaking to reduce brake wear, or help you slow down coming down a hill.
    ********************************************************************************- ****************
    Quote:
    On my Versa, I notice that the rpms will drop about 4k when you let off the gas, in the first 3 gears of the autotrans, but when you are in 4th gear (overdrive) it won't drop at all. So now you've got the engine drag slowing you down as well as the wind pushing you back, if you try to coast in 4th. It's acting like a manual trans in 4th gear, and like an autotrans in gears 1 thru 3.
    ********************************************************************************- ****************

What you notice is the torque converter, which does not lock in the first 3 gears (and therefore rpm's drop when you take the foot off the pedal), then locks (I believe the 3rd gear and) 4th gear (no drop in rpm's when you release the pedal). This is normal and by design.

Sounds like the Yaris tranny doesn't employ torque lock. If I understand things right, locking the torque converter is good, as it prevents slippage, and therefore improves fuel economy.

That said, I am not an expert, so I could be totally off.
    Oh God, I must be working too much. I should have said the tach drops 400 rpm not 4,000 rpm, when I let off the gas in 1, 2, or 3. Sorry !!
    I have some mpg numbers now. First tank : 30.0 mpg on 10 % ethanol blend, and 80% hiway. Second tank, still on 10% ethanol, but inflated tired to 40 psi (were 35 psi before) : 32.1 mpg ( 80% hiway). Third tank using Shell pure gas no ethanol and 40 psi in tires : 35.0 mpg (80% hiway). 4th tank. Shell pure gas and 40 psi. (60% hiway) 31.0 mpg.

I have the old-fashioned 4 speed auto trans.

btw, this includes use of the a/c.
  • twogrimtwogrim Member Posts: 1
    When I bought my 07 Versa my brother (a devout Honda fan) bought a 07 Fit bragging all the time about how superior his car was to mine. I disagreed and kept saying I did not see the 4k difference in price. Well now that I have had my Versa for three years and put over 40k miles on it I can say without a doubt that this is one of the best little cars I have ever owned. The ride is great, the mileage has averaged over 32 (except when brand new) in mixed driving and I have had only one issue (with the TPMS, fixed under warranty). My brother with the fit has had it in the shop five times for various things from the radio to the brakes, he has just under 38k miles on his and is now looking to trade it in on guess what, a Versa!

We went to Disney together last month him and his family in the Fit and me and my family in the Versa, a 600mile trip (each way) loaded down with our luggage and stuff. Two adults, two kids in each car. I averaged 35.4 mpg he averaged 35.9 mpg. I had no isses with luggage while he had no room for a cooler and his kids had to share a suitcase (a very small one at that). On the return trip my brother wanted to swap cars to see if they could see any difference so we did, that was all it took. Upon getting home they decided to sell the Fit and get a Versa. I will update you all with the details when he sell his Fit and gets the Versa.
    I owned both and generally agree with your assessment about the Fit vs. Versa. I think the luggage space on both are quite good - the 2008 Fit (first generation) I had was much more spacious than the Yaris hatchback I owned. Maybe the Versa was a little larger, but we never did a road trip like you described. I DO think the Versa has a much better cargo cover - rigid - vs. the flimsy "window shade" style cargo cover that I had to pay extra for on the Fit. The Fit's cargo cover also left a big gap behind the rear seat that you could easily see through.

Where the Versa really shined was in road noise - it was nice and quiet. The 2008 Fit was much noisier.

Where the Fit shined was in handling - it was a little sports car.

I got much higher gas mileage on my Fit with 5 speed than on my Versa with 6 speed, both manual transmission - about a 5 mpg difference. (I now have a Cube with CVT and it actually gets slightly better gas mileage than the Versa with stick, so it may have been a sample variation).

I have test driven the new generation Fit in 5 speed only and it has a lot of wind noise, a fair amount of road surface noise, and the engine is still geared low - 3,750 rpm or so at 80 mph. So the noise hasn't gotten any better. The handling has gotten worse, except on the Sport Model (I drove both Base and Sport) which handles well but rides terribly (not insufferably terribly, but harsher than the former generation base model which still out handles it, imho and brief opinion). Where the Fit excels is in the fold flat seats and enormous station wagon hauling capacity.

I think both are great small cars, but my conclusion is that the Fit is over rated and the Versa is underrated. If you ignore the cost factor, the Versa is slightly superior, if you take into account the cost factor, the Versa is a significantly better buy with one big caveat - when I went to trade in the Versa and Fit after 6 months, the Fit traded in for more than I paid for it (ignoring sales tax and license fees) but the Versa trade in was the more normal Japanese car trade in range.

And yes I'd by either again in an instant, but I've gotten pickier about safety and would like to see stability control on both and also better roof crush tests. The mediocre roof crush tests on the Fit coupled with the lack of stability control (which reduces roll-over risk) makes it much less desirable to me, from a safety standpoint.
    Got my 09 Versa 4 sp auto (not CVT) in August. Have filled up about 7 times since then. Lowest mpg was 30.0, on the first tank Highest was 35.3 mpg :) ( I've hit 35 mpg 3 times so far). This is with 75 % hiway driving.

Using Shell gas which has no ethanol at my station. I think the lack of ethanol increases mpg's. Also bumped my tire pressure up to 40 psi, from 35 psi.
    You're spot on about ethanol. My '07 got 33 in my normal everyday driving and 35 on the highway until ethanol was introduced in our area. That knocked a solid 10% off the mileage :sick:
  • pixel1pixel1 Member Posts: 14
    '07 Versa with CVT, just turned 40,000 miles on the clock -- overall mileage is 31.5, figure about 60% highway, 40% in town driving. Have to agree with previous posters about effects of ethanol, as Oregon has 10% added, and my mileage did drop some. Still loving this car, trouble-free so far.
    Switched back to ethanol just for kicks. Sure enuf, my mileage is down to 29.x mpg on my usual commute. I was getting 32.x on the same commute, but using Shell without ethanol. Guess I'll go back to Shell even tho it costs more. :shades:
    That's the kicker... non-ethanol gas doesn't cost more, at least not anywhere where I've been able to find the choices available. it's not as if ethanol was introduced and prices at the pumped dropped or rose. But even if the price had dropped, my basic argument against ethanol still stands... if a 10% ethanol blend is reducing my mileage by 10%, it's not saving anything with regard to gas/oil consumption.
    Just made a long trip for Thanksgiving. 330 miles each way. On the way up, on Wawa ethanol, got 32.9 mpg. On the way back, with Cumberland Farms ethanol, got 32.5 mpg. 95% hiway, 60 to 70 mph.

BTW, the Shell station near me, with NON Ethanol gas, used to be only about 10 cents more per gallon than Wawa, but for the last two weeks, it has been 20 cents more per gallon. (Wawa dropped its price)
  • starfyterstarfyter Member Posts: 5
    Hello Folks,

I just purchased a beautiful 2008 Nissan Versa. 1.8L with 6 spd manual. This car was purchased with MPG's in mind. I just took a new job which requires a 60 mile commute daily through a big city interstate system. So far I have been using the cruise control when I can, which is most of the time, and not going any faster than 60 MPH. In this thread I have learned to look for pure gas, and inflate the tires to 40 PSI. Are there any other suggestions to get the best MPG possible? Is 60 MPH the best MPG speed? Would 55 MPH make that much difference? I noticed the RPM revs a lot higher than other cars I'm accustomed to. At 60MPH it almost revs to 3K, but it is a small engine. That may be normal. Just looking for any suggestions the masses may have.

Thanks...
    We have about 68K miles on our 2007 6-speed, and love it. The only thing I wish I could change/add would be to have it geared higher in 6th gear to lower the RPM's just a tad. My daughters both agree with me that it feels like it could use 7th gear.

But that's just our picky wish list :)
    Has anyone purchased an after market MPG indicator? I've done some reading from a guy who suggests using a dwell meter connected to a injector positive lead. Will give you duty cycle (percent of the time the injector is hot) I think. Just wondering because I sure would like some sort of indication of how I'm doing economically speaking....

Thanks....
    I have a ScanGauge II which does a lot of different things (except injector hot time percentage). I haven't connected it to my Versa though... I like looking at the mpg in my TDI. ;)
    I did a little googling and it appears the Versa has an OBD II port so that should plug in nicely. Wonder if they make a smaller less complex unit cheaper. It does a lot of functions but it costs a pretty penny too..

Thannks...
    I found that sight last night while googling around. They make a small version that only does a few options for 89 bucks. I also found some DIY projects that use the arduino, some even pre-built for you...

Thanks...
    I have ran two tanks of gas through my new 2008 Versa and I must say I'm very pleased with it. The first tank the dealer put in, so I don't know what it was but I got 314.7 miles out of 11.25 gallons which calculates to 27.96 MPG. He said it was a full tank but I have my doubts. :mad: I wasn't completely happy with that tank. I just ran through my second tank with these numbers. 395.3 miles out of 11.595 gallons which calculates to a much more impressive 34.09 MPG. This is probably 90% highway driving never over 60 MPH. :)
  • campermancamperman Member Posts: 53
    I bought a 2009 Versa in February. I have put 2,300 miles on it and I average 36 mpg. I am just at the end of the breakin period and hoping it will get a bit better. I have driven 80% highway so far with several long trips. This car is performing better than my expectations and so far I am quite pleased with it.
    Stick shift, CVT, or 4 speed automatic?
  • rennie4rennie4 Member Posts: 55
    do u let your car idle for long periods of time while sitting inside? do u drive only 2 miles and hit 10 lights?
    That's great mileage for your car! Ours with a CVT, and doing quite a bit of short distance errant running, after 15 fuel-ups and almost 10K miles now at 29.2 mpg. I don't think there will be any more break-in/improvement. I wonder if the CVT eats away a few mpg's.

Other than that, it's a fine car. Well made, roomy, quiet, boring.

Not as much fun as my TDI that gets now 43 mpg and is on its way up as it breaks in further.
  • rcosrcos Member Posts: 4
    I've driven my 4-spd 2009 auto for almost 2 years now and have gotten about 27.5 mpg since the second tank-full. It now has 14k miles on it and I drive 90% city, usually 6 miles or less each way. I've seen 35-ish on long trips.
    Our 2010 Altima gets less than than even with its CVT, but a CVT robs MPG plenty if driven stop and go as this one usually is. Keeping the RPMs low is where the mileage is, but ours is usually in the 2-3k range, usually just cause thats where the fun is :blush:
  • natureboy3natureboy3 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2011
    Versa S hatchback 4sp Auto with 3600 miles on it.

Mileage test:
    1. 34 mpg
    2. 37 mpg
    3. 37 mpg
    4. 35 mpg

NOTE:
    I live in a hilly rural county with the highest legal speed limit of 55 mph which I pretty much stick to.

I'm retired and don't need to commute nor be anywhere on schedule so I can, and do, take my time getting around. If my only choices were between "city" and "highway" driving I would have to say neither. Much of my driving is just cruising through the countryside looking for good bird spots - both my wife and I are avid bird watchers.

Just for comparison my wife's Buick Park Avenue doing exactly the same kind of driving would give us about 24 mpg. Although the Versa is relatively quiet and smooth for it's class it's nothing near the tomb-like silence and arm chair comfort of the Buick. My wife says that driving around in the Buick is like sitting in the living room and watching the countryside roll by through the picture window.

I understand these numbers may not be relevant to most of you but they reflect the actual mileage we get driving the way we do and that's the bottom line.

So far, we are satisfied with the Versa given it's limits.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    That seems to be pretty strong mileage; well done. My wife has a 10 Versa hatch with the 4AT, and the best we've managed is 30mpg, but is mostly used as a city car. Great to see others get more out of it.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• natureboy3natureboy3 Member Posts: 5
    30mpg -

That's the trouble with the mpg postings on this thread - are we comparing two different cars or two different driving styles? If I drove the same way your wife has to drive I may do no better in my Versa.

Just got back yesterday from a round trip of 325 miles to Minneapolis and back - 33mpg. Put car into CC at 65mph (the speed limit) and just let her cruise into the city. Interestingly once I got into the the city I had to drive faster than out on the rural highways. Did a lot of driving taking beltline freeways around the city and everyone was driving 80-85 mph and I had to keep up with the flow of the traffic or be run over.

Your wife's 30mpg as a city car driving stop and go and urban freeways may be very reasonable.

I pretty much read all the post in this thread going back to 2007. I noticed that as time went on the mpg postings got better and better. I wonder if the early Versas may, in fact, have had some problem? I'm no gear head but I do know that programming of the motor control unit does not have to be far off to adversely effect mpg. Perhaps Nissan realized this and quietly went about reprogramming the later Versas for better mileage?

Just speculation on my part.

Take care,
    Natureboy3
  • wr426fwr426f Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased a Brand new 2011 Nissan Versa Hatchback. I love the car but have been sorely disappointed in the gas mileage. I am only on my third tank and i have heard that mileage does improve but I am skeptical. The 1st dealer tank got me 25 mpg and the second which i did got me 24.5mpg. Simple math 300 miles, 12.4 gallons to fill up. I dont know what everyone else is doing but everyone else seems to report better numbers. Even the Dealer said he had not heard of anyone getting less than 30, of course he would be somewhat biased. I very much like the car so I am hopeful that the mileage will improve. Also i have not taken a road trip yet either so if that goes well it will take away some of the sting, after all i went from 5 minivans in a row (which i loved for trips with the kids) to a subcompact completely for fuel economy reasons. My 6 cylinder vans were getting 18-22 so at 24 or 25 MPG i am not gaining much. Good Luck All

Signed: Optimistic.
    edited June 2011
    There is going to be a range of reported mileage numbers, ranging from very low for brand new purchases with CVT tranny, lead foot short distance city driving to very high ones for broken in, standard tranny, subtle driving, long distances, CC set at 65, and a gentle breeze blowing from behind.

Dealers are full of [non-permissible content removed]... they will tell you anything to make you feel good about your purchase beforehand or question yourself if something seems wrong afterwards.

I am used to my 45 mpg Jetta, so the 28 mpg we are getting from the Versa are not overwhelming. On the other hand, I would hesitate to call this a "Subcompact". It is very roomy, tall, with loads and loads of space for the back passengers. Not like a van obviously, but not like a true subcompact either.
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    I'd take any MPG trends with a grain of salt for the first couple thousand miles; engines take some time to break in. My last Honda was so/so for the first 15000 miles, then it made a marked jump upwards. Same for a Subaru I had prior.

Even though I've thought our Versa MPG could be a little better, with only 5k miles, I don't think we've driven it enough to know anything definitive yet.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• rcosrcos Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    I've had my 2008 4-speed auto for almost 4 years now; 17k on it now, and despite a slight bump somewhere during the first 8k, I'm still getting a mediocre 26 @ 90% city. I too take it easy most times and notice that when I do get frisky a number of times during a tankful, my mileage suffers about 10% overall. I have to say, it's more than 2x better than the 77 cobra ;)
    I'm not too upset about the mileage as the other attributes of the vehicle more than make up for it for me: reliability, space, comfort. My father and brother can sit with great comfort in the back despite both being 6'2".
    Take most dealer mileage stickers at 80% of their face and you'll be right around reality.
  • wr426fwr426f Member Posts: 2
    You make several good points fflintstone. Especially regarding dealers!! lol. I should have bought a Jetta seems like my first mistake. I guess I used the term subcompact a little loosely since it does have a ton of space compared to the others that i looked at. I do drive mostly city and the only breeze in Texas is when a Miskito flys by. I am a little encouraged. I filled up again today and my mileage was a slight bit better at 27. Add a little bit for sitting idle while on the phone during work...a little for the 106 degree temp we've been at and i can maybe count on 28 or 29 with maybe low 30's for highway. Those numbers are becoming much more acceptable and i'm looking forward to lots more versa driving fun. Getting me some sweet aftermarket wheels next week so i'll look fly doing it. later's