Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Tires Wheels and Sensors

steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
edited December 2013 in Honda
Looking to replace your OEM tires? Ask here.

Comments

• daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    OK, no one answered my question last week about putting on truck SUV type tires. Well, I since found out that they don't fit and don't work and aren't even made in the CR-V size.

So my question is: What are the BEST tires to put on our AWD CR-V here in the often snowy hilly roads of Pittsburgh? I have generally felt that Michelins are the best tire (although they cost twice as much), but it's not clear that they even make a tire that is right for CR-V.

I currently have the Dueler tires that came with it and seem to be wearing at 10,000 miles. I do NOT want to put them on again. HELP! WHADUIDU?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    you may wish to visit
    http://www.tirerack.com

or go to the edmunds forum dedicated to the getting advice from the TireRack (closed now, but could have been answered)
    Ask Conner at the TireRack

or go to the edmunds forum
    Tires, tires, tires.

hope that helps.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    OK, no one answered my question last week about putting on truck SUV type tires. Well, I since found out that they don't fit and don't work and aren't even made in the CR-V size.

So my question is: What are the BEST tires to put on our AWD CR-V here in the often snowy hilly roads of Pittsburgh? I have generally felt that Michelins are the best tire (although they cost twice as much), but it's not clear that they even make a tire that is right for CR-V.

I currently have the Dueler tires that came with it and seem to be wearing at 10,000 miles. I do NOT want to put them on again. HELP! WHADUIDU?

The other site has a whole thread devoted to tires. Some like Triplthreads, some like Yokohama Avids.. and so on. One guy just put some Cooper tires that are very "toothy"

I am just watching sales to see what I can get. Sears has $50 off if you buy 4 Michelins, then I found that there is a $50 rebate on Michelin's web site, which may result in $100 off. I am thinking in lines of Pilot or Energy MX4.
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Yeah, very interested what you'll get. Please let us know, I'm looking at definitely Michelins, very fond of Hydroedge (have them on the Galant), but I read somewhere not the best choice for snow.
    I might just buy slightly used, 11,000 miles, Traction T/A from a fellow CR-Ver from the other site for $160.
    Hmmm, not a fan of used when it comes to tires, even slightly. I have Traction T/As currently (yup, got lucky - car came with them new), hope will last us at least trough the winter (about 40K).
  • soasoassoasoas Member Posts: 3
    2002 EX with 50,200 miles. Hard to believe, but my OEM's have just now gotten down to the bare minimum tread. I was one of the fortunate few who got the T/A's.

I'm looking at the TripleTreads, Nokian, or Dunlop Signature. Right now I'm leaning towards the 'trips, even though they'll set me back $500.
  • adnoh52adnoh52 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking for replacement tires for my 2005 CR-V; does anyone out there know what the quietest tire for this vehicle would be? I notice the road noise with the factory Bridgestones, it really doesn't bother us but since we are looking, we might as well shop for the best replacements.

Thanks
    OK, I ended up buying four Michelin Hydroedge tires. I read a rating at the TIRERACK site and everyone gave the tires excellent ratings and comments. One, in particular, was what did it for me. It was from someone with an AWD Subaru Outback in Boston who swore by them for any and all driving (including New England snows). And they said they were at 40,000 or so miles and they still have 9/32 of tread! (Don't quote me on the exact numbers there....the point was they were wearing very very well).

So, we'll see how it goes. I paid about $550 installed, out the door, including all taxes and nusance fees, at Sears. (Got new valve stems and balancing, but did not get the pricey "Road Hazard" thingie).
    OK, I ended up buying four Michelin Hydroedge tires. I read a rating at the TIRERACK site and everyone gave the tires excellent ratings and comments. One, in particular, was what did it for me. It was from someone with an AWD Subaru Outback in Boston who swore by them for any and all driving (including New England snows). And they said they were at 40,000 or so miles and they still have 9/32 of tread! (Don't quote me on the exact numbers there....the point was they were wearing very very well).

So, we'll see how it goes. I paid about $550 installed, out the door, including all taxes and nusance fees, at Sears. (Got new valve stems and balancing, but did not get the pricey "Road Hazard" thingie).

Now check out Mischelin website for the additional $50 rebate.
    It appears that the rebate does not include the Hydroedge. Or is Hydroedge a subcategory of one of these (from their site):

$50 Mail-in Offer
    Michelin is celebrating the summer driving season with a $50 offer for you. Buy 4 new Michelin® MX™ Series touring tires, and get a $50 mail-in rebate. Offer valid 7/1/06 through 7/31/06. Offer available on the following tires only: Pilot® MXM4™, Energy™ MXV4®, Energy™ MXV4® Plus, and Energy™ MXV4® S8.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    I just purchased a new CRV SE on 7-19 and after reading posts and talking to other CRV owners and driving it for two days I decided to replace my tires. I purchases a set of Goodyear assurance Triple treads 80,000 mile ( CR rated #1) for $550.00 out the door -$150.00 for my oem tires with the $50.00 rebate for a total of $350.00. No doubt about it a much quieter and smother ride. Thanks for all the direction and help from all the responses on the form

M
    Probably a good move. My approach was similar. I knew from both this board and from just general feeling that the OEM tires on my CR-V (bot May, 2005...now at 10,000 miles) were not the greatest. But instead of swapping them for credit...which I probably would have done had I found someone willing to give me credit...I drove them for 14 months then swapped them. I am guessing that the 10,000 miles on them was probably worth about the $150 that you got. And the new Michelin Hydroedge were about $550 installed....same as your price give or take. Personally I prefer Michelin to Goodyear, but it sounds like you also bot a premium tire.
    Yes your right we both purchased a good tire that will help keep the noise down and last. I did have to call around to see if someone would give me credit most were NO and one other was 20.00 per tire. The Michelin X Radial DT is also a very high rated tire availble in there line up....

M
  • mikis_mamamikis_mama Member Posts: 1
    I need serious advice... I am in Canada and need a good all-season tire for my 2002 CR-V, that will handle basic city icy/snowy/winter conditions. Safety is my main concern. The tire shops I call are useless and are peddling whatever they have in stock. Someone recommended Pirelli P3000 and someone else Toyo Spectrum... anyone have any idea if these are good for my driving conditions?
  • db2db2 Member Posts: 10
    I am considering the above tire for my replacements for my 2004 CRV. Received great reviews on TireRack but I'm wondering if I'm missing something - any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated....Thank you!
    I put on a set of Goodyear assurance triple treads on my new 06 CRV it made a differance on the road noise from the new stock tires. ... Good Luck....
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I put on the Michelin Hydroedge. They are expensive, but the handling was a lot better, and they are quieter than the OEM tires. Good wet weather handling as well.
    Sorry - I should have stated I live in Minnesota so have a lot of winter driving. The Honda dealership said the HydroEdge were great in rain, but not that great in snow/ice? Is the impression the Dueler Alenza's are not the best option? There is a $75 rebate on them for the next couple of weeks...any further advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    According to Consumer Reports, the top tire ratings are:

#1 Goodyear Triple Treads
    #2 Michelin Radial X DT (available at warehouse clubs only)
    #3 Michelin Hydroedge

I bought the Radial X DTs. They were $15 per tire cheaper than the other two. Plus, there was only 1 score point difference between the Radial X DTs and the Triple Treads. I figured $15 was enough to justify the 1 point. I've got 1,000 miles so far, and I love the tires. I'm so glad I wore down the OEM tires after 21,000 miles.

Do not get the Michelin Pilots or the MXM4 or the MXV4. They are rated very low and not worth the $$$.
  • carlessonecarlessone Member Posts: 9
    I live in Mpls. Check out Consumer Reports online and they rated tires. The Goodyear Triple Treads were first, but the Michelin X Radial DT's were second---only 1 point apart. I can get the Michelin DT's for $400 installed, liftetime warrenty, road hazard, etc thru Sept 30 while they have $50 off. The Goodyears are $100 more at Discount Tire Co(cheapest place in town I could find them), however they are only $450 when a sale starts on Octoober 2. All prices are with mounting, lifetime rotate, rebal, mounting, etc and MN sales tax of 6.5%.---for a 2005 CRV
  • ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    I would also check out the consumer survey reults and the testing results on tirerack's site. Check out discount tire direct online and tirerack to see if saving the sales tax makes an online purchase worthwhile. I just purchased some tires from discount tire direct, had them sent to me (no sales tax and no shipping charge), and took them to the local Honda dealership for install on my vehicle. It was the best deal for me. Tirerack does charge for shipping. The local Discount tire store in your area may match the online cost of their online site, but I would try to get them to also reduce the cost by the amount of the sales tax. Good luck. Ralph
    I have the Goodyear Triple Treads on my 06 CRV that i put on just after I purchased (300 miles) it. Major differance from the stock tires so far very happy . They gave me (Discount Tire )$150.00 for my stock then there was a $50.00 rebate from Goodyear. Either tire should be just fine ...>>M
  • ace15ace15 Member Posts: 1
    I live in New England and currently drive an 03 CRV. Original tire size is 205/70-R15. From an estate sale I have a chance to buy 4 new Michelin X-Ice 205/60-R16 mounted on Honda rims for $125. Is changing tire and wheel size a no-no and possibly hazardous or would these tires give acceptable performance? Thanks for your advice.
    Jim
    Well, I'm still deciding between Michelin Hydroedge and the Assurance Tripplethreads. Would any one have an opinion on which one is the quieter tire? I guess it has come down to this, since both are as good as it gets. I thought the OEM Traction T/As would get me through the coming winter, but the thread currently is only 4/32, and that at only 25K :(
    Thank You
    Hi everyone - thanks for all the feedback, I purchased the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds and took a 200 mile roadtrip just after getting them put on, am quite pleased so far. I wasn't offered a rebate of $50 - I purchased mine from Sears, couldn't locate anything on-line, can someone point me in the right direction, or should I call Sears?
    Thanks!
  • sonata4sonata4 Member Posts: 1
    I currently have a spare on the rear my CRV. I have been told that in order not to damage the Real-time four wheel drive I need to replace both tires in the back. What are my options at this time.
    Thank You for the hint on the October DiscountTire sale. Just put new Michelin Hydroedge at 26,300. Got both rebates, $50.00 from Michelin and $25.00 from DiscTire for using their card (also 6 mo no interest). I like their free tire rotation, will save me 40.00 dealer racket every 10K. I don't know if I'll use their balancing (they do "spin balance"), a minimum vibration at 60mph and over. Will use a trusted shop that does computer balance (Venburg Tire, just south of I-694 on Hwy61).
    Now I'm happy, no new tires for the next 4 years :)
    Well, maybe next year, but for the other car - also Hydroedge, looks like they'll last to about 100K :):)
  • rrrrbrrrrb Member Posts: 5
    I replaced the factory tires at 35k miles with the Goodyear Triple-Treds. I replaced all 5 tires at one time.

Discount Tires will match the TireRack prices.

I have put 40k miles on these tires since and they still look practally new.

Rotate your tires frequently, including the spare. The tires will last you many, many miles.

Also, keep the right tire pressure in the tires.
  • jo27jo27 Member Posts: 7
    Honda should rethink tires for their CRV. I replaced mine at 6000 miles on a 2004 CRV and put on Toyo Open Country AT (205-75-R15). These are a good all weather tire and handle well in the snow. If you want a WINTER tire, go for Bridgestone Blizzak's. Check out Tirerack.com. These are a soft tire and AWESOME on snow and ice but you'll be very happy with them!
  • acarpersonacarperson Member Posts: 13
    Anyone else experiencing tire "nibbling" with their 2007 CRV? Nibbling is when your driving on a freeway that has grooves going in the same direction as the car and the car won't keep a straight line down the road. The tires want to wander like they are trying to find the right groove to follow but can't. I've got a Mini Cooper that does it also but not as bad as the CRV. Luckily these kind of freeways are not everywhere because it is very tiring to drive like this, but it is very annoying.
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    There isn't a tire I have owned that hasn't done that. ;)

The grooving helps wet traction, and that is why highway officials mandate them.
    terry92270: Were all the tires you owned mounted on a CRV?
    Before our CRV we had a 2004 Saab 9-3. That car didn't do
    it all - we had Pirellis and then Kuhmo tires on that car. Then before that a 1995 Maxima, again no nibbling. Our 1999 Tacoma also doesn't do it.
    Among the ones I currently have are a Nissan Murano SE, a Subaru Forester, Mercedes S550 and a Toyota Sienna. We have a CRV at work for the office shipping people.

All of them pull, or wobble slightly on certain sections of grooved freeways, the concrete portion of them anyways.

Since all of those vehicles have different makes of tires, of various sizes, I doubt it is a tire thing or specific to the Honda CR-V.

I am sorry if my experience doesn't coincide with your opinon or experience. ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I haven't noticed the grooves around here (we don't get much rain though), but tramlining is a problem occasionally. Tire Rack has an article about ruts that may be of interest:

Tramlining
    That's a great article. I had heard the term "nibbling" used before - the reason I used it. Anyway, that article and the fact that terry92270 has experienced tramlining on a variety of vehicles and tires makes me feel better. I was trying to find out if it was normal and sounds like it is. I will just have to get used to it.
    Thanks for the replies to my original post.
    The deep grooving of concrete sections of the Interstates in California, Oregon and Washington are common. I have experienced those grooves in Kentucky, Missouri as well.

Hell, I think I-15, and I-94 are as well, through Idaho! ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I try to stick to the blue highways as much as possible although I did ~900 miles on I-81 (VA & TN) two weeks ago and didn't notice any wandering on it in my sister's New Beetle. Makes you wonder if the CR-V track is a bit wider or narrower than the ruts you sometimes encounter.

Any other new owners experiencing tire nibbling?
    That's a long ways from Idaho, Steve! Stay out West! ;)

I've got my interest spiked on this matter too..
    In the Northwest where they still allow studded tires you have the RUTS and when you get rain or snow the movement while in them is scary at times. I find myself driving between them when all possible.
    Yeah, I know that well, as I am in Tacoma a few times a month, Spokane as well. Sometimes it actually feels as if someone has grabbed the steering wheel and jerked it hard!

Road maintenance seems a thing of the past. :(
  • kay_jaykay_jay Member Posts: 33
    I got this brand new 2007 Honda CRV just 15 days back and even the registration plates haven't arrived yet. While driving on the freeway, a sharp peice of wood pierced (I donno how) to the side of my rear right tire and I called roadside assistance bla bla.....
    When I went to the Honda dealer, he told since the wood is pierced on the side of the tire, it can't be fixed and I need to buy a new tire. Man, this is just 15 day old car with less than 500 miles on it and I asked why not you give me free tire? No, it is not possible was his answer but suggested to go to Bridgestone (thats the tire brand) tire dealer if they have any warranty, they might give a credit for a new tire. Bridgestone dealer told they don't have warranty on tires for brand new cars and they will not be able to do anything.

Came to my dealer from whom I bought the car, He also told they are not responsible for anything to do with tires and I need to change a brand new tire at his discounted price of $125.00. Since it is brand new vehicle with brand new tire, should I still need to pay for the new tire or do you guys have any advise on this? If need to change a new tire, which would be a best place to buy?
    Road hazard warranties can be bought when you need to replace the original tires, but to my knowledge no one warranties for that kind of deal unless you purchase it.

Go to Big O, or another tire dealer like that, and check their prices on the exact same model of tire. It is important that all 4 match.....
  • plim77plim77 Member Posts: 46
    A three of suggestions:

(1) Go to a tire dealer and see if you can get a rebate on your 3 remaining new tires and buy 4 better ones. There are much better tires out there than what comes on the CR-V. I'm a big fan of the Michelin Radial X DT or the Goodyear Tripletreads. Plus, both are offering good incentives like $50 cash cards and things like that.

(2) Get a replacement tire from tirerack.com or discounttire.com (whichever one gives you the better price). If you go through a website, you'll have a new tire in 3 days.

(3) Stay away from wood.
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    What an unfortunate accident, and in a brand new car no less. But I'm not sure why you seem to think that either the dealer or Bridgestone should pay for your loss?

Bridgestone explicitly excludes road hazards from its warranty. This wasn't their fault; why should they have to give you a tire?

Accidents happen. Whether the car is 2 or 20 weeks old doesn't make any difference, other than it hurts a little more in a new car.
    1) Go to a tire dealer and see if you can get a rebate on your 3 remaining new tires and buy 4 better ones.

When you say get a rebate on remaining 3 tires, what do u mean and how to do and which tire dealer should I go (bridgestone?)? Since the tire came along with the new car, will he accept this offer?

I definitely agree with you. Michelin tires are the best ones and get $60 off at costco for 4 tires. But for doing that, I need to know how to get the rebate for the remaining 3 tires.
    I have never heard of any dealer giving a "rebate" on trading in used tires....

Try to understand, it isn't the tires fault!

Any tire hit as yours was by wood, metal, glass, at those speeds, most likely would have gone flat. Accidents happen. Go buy yourself another tire, same exact brand and model, at a discount tire place, Big O, America's Tire or the like. Go buy four new ones, of any brand, and pay several hundred dollars. Choice is yours.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    Something to keep in mind...

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on the CR-V uses a special tire valve, that will be silver in color, instead of brass. At a minimum, the valve core is usually replaced, as part of the normal steps in replacing a tire. Honda does not sell the valve cores separately, so the dealership has to part out the entire valve, even if they are only going to use the core from it. The cores from "normal" valves cannot be used on your CR-V with the TPMS.

If you have your tires replaced by someone other than Honda, they may not take all of this into account.

I'll have to see if I can find the link to the Honda document, and get it posted up here for y'all.
    I'll have to see if I can find the link to the Honda document, and get it posted up here for y'all.

Thanks will be great!
    Something to keep in mind...

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) on the CR-V uses a special tire valve, that will be silver in color, instead of brass. At a minimum, the valve core is usually replaced, as part of the normal steps in replacing a tire. Honda does not sell the valve cores separately, so the dealership has to part out the entire valve, even if they are only going to use the core from it. The cores from "normal" valves cannot be used on your CR-V with the TPMS.

If you have your tires replaced by someone other than Honda, they may not take all of this into account.

Anyways, there is no much option to go to replace a brand new tire. I couldn't find tire for my 2007 CRV in tirerack or any other place like online tire places/costco/walmart etc. So I will go with my dealer. It costs me $100 for the tire and $25.00 for labor.