Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• raybeckraybeck Member Posts: 3
    We test drove one this weekend in Dallas and just loved it! I've never owned a Lexus, but seems most folks that have them are very satisfied! I thought I wanted the new Volvo LX90...it sure didn't stack up to what I thought, so went with the Lexus. Got on the waiting list and they told us 6 to 8 week wait and chances were great for it being loaded and in a color we requested. I have been reading about some folks having trouble with the leather on the seats wearing, that kind of concerns me...any suggestions? I would love to get the sand dollar pearl with the ivory seats, but hope they hold up, this is the first I have heard about the seats wearing. Love reading everyone's comments, just counting the days until we can pick ours up.
  • evolvoevolvo Member Posts: 6
    Interesting we moved over from Volvo-XC90 to 01-LX. It is the third row seating conv.(extra couple of inches) and the overall cabin space made us choose the LX. Yes, we had to go for LX with miles with the very limited availability in our area. Hopefully Toyota-reliability will come in handy. So far we are happy with our LX.
  • raybeckraybeck Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for sharing that info. with me. I am sure you have more room with the LX than the Volvo. We are getting the GX, so won't have quite as much space as you do, but just liked everything about it better than the Volvo. Glad your experience has been a good one thus far. I am counting on the same when we get ours.
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I also have the 2000 and they don't shut off on me.
    I meant to say the 2001 not the 2000. But I have had heated seats since the 95 LS400 and never did they shut off automatically.
  • zuma13zuma13 Member Posts: 35
    Had an opportunity to see an actual GX470. The new design is quite attractive. Everything on the inside and out is laid out quite nicely. New larger screen navigation system. Just the right amount of space on the inside. However, the third row seats are a waste.

The one feature I thought quite grievious was the way in which the rear gate opened. Who designed and allowed this door onto the market had his head up his #$$%. The door in it's entirety swings open toward the right side of the vehicle. That means if you are standing on the curb side of the GX470 and want to load parcels in the vehicle, you must walk around the door to gain access the the cargo compartment. This would prove especially burdensome if this occured while parallel parked with another vehicle parked closely behind.

Another drawback associated with this new gate design is the lack of versatility. It ONLY swings open to the right; there is no provision for the uppper glass section to open for access. One major drawback is the situation where an oversized object requires transportation. If the gate opened up or downward, the oversized object could be accommodated. IF THE OBJECT DOESN'T FIT WITHIN THE CAVITY OF THE VEHICLE ALLOWING THE CLOSURE OF THE SWING-OUT DOOR, IT'S NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

POOR, POOR design of rear cargo access. But for that (and that's a BIG, BIG that), I think the vehicle is fine.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's been that way for years with CR-V's and those owners find it's not much of a problem. Most people don't spend all that much time parallel parking - usually you're at a mall or store lot or in a downtown parking garage where it's a non-issue.

Steve, Host
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    ...just the same way. Maybe it's designed to stop if the circut gets too hot?
  • ace10ace10 Member Posts: 137
    rear may be hinged right, but the may be opened upward.

ace
    Good point Ace and I occasionally wish my MV had that feature. I still don't think the hinge side is going to be that big an issue for those times you're going to need to put something in the back through the rear door.

Try an advanced search on tailgate for pro and con posts (like this pro one: bfyerxa "Honda CR-V" Mar 29, 2002 10:25pm).

Steve, Host
  • carfan4surecarfan4sure Member Posts: 49
    Heated seats: How long have you kept them on to see if they automatically shut-off? Do they continue to heat even after the outside temperature or the temperature inside is room temperature?
    I'll check - typically I shut them off as they get hot pretty fast. I have put them on a low setting in the past and don't remember them shutting off. Anyway I'm going back to work tommorrow and will see what happens when I leave the passanger seat on high and the driver side on low. I'll let you know.
    Ok - I tested it and it did not shut off in the low setting after 45 minutes of driving. In the high setting it also did not shut off but I only kept it on 10-15 minutes. It was simply getting too hot and I can't imagine anyone wanting to keep it on too long on high. Maybe if I was in Fairbanks Alaska or Caribou Maine I might feel differently. It was a pretty cold day here in the NY area and my interior thermometer showed 29 as the air temperature on the way home. The seat does indeed heat up pretty quickly.

Now I also put on the passenger side seat heater and there I found that the heater didn't work. The light showed the heater to be on but it didn't warm the seat. Either this is my first malfunction in a Lexus (I've had the LS in 95,98 and 2001)or maybe it doesn't warm the seat unless a body is present. Is that possible?
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Member Posts: 47
    it doesn't warm the seat unless a body is present.

My problem is on the passenger side, the HIGH doest not really get high, sort of only work on the LOW setting.
    So we have "smart" heat seaters. I guess Lexus remains letter perfect for me than. Does yours shut off automatically on the high setting?
    I drove an LS for 12 years before buying an 03 LS a few months ago, and have had our LX since 2000. This is the only problem I've had that isn't fixed the first time. We are in Vail this weeks and have had them shut off before we want them to!
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    I'm really hoping the new updated LX due out in a few years has the following RX330 features:
    1. Power Liftgate
    2. Reverse Camera system
    3. HID lights that adjust based on the turn you are making.
    4. Extra large moon roof (it looks great on the RX.

I would hope Lexus would give their flagship these features (at least as available options).
    Given it's the top of the line I hope so as well. The entry level vehicle now has things that the leader doesn't. On top of that the camera is much more needed on the bulkier LX and GX models than it is on the RX.

Overall I think Lexus did a good job with the new RX.
    The RX will also lower its body to a kneeling position for ease of entry/exit whenever you remove the key if you desire. Another nice touch. In the LX you have to hit the switch which I forget to do 90% of the time.
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    Just a heads up to all you LX owners . Took my LX in to the dealer at 49,100 miles for normal service but also told them to check everything and report back to me . Before I dropped it off , I went over my LX with a fine tooth comb and came up with a slight noise coming from the passenger seat when it is moved to a reclined position and CD player sticking sometimes ( Lexus quality is top notch ) .

I informed my service advisor of these minor problems and all were replaced ! NOT REPAIRED or REFURBISHED but NEW ! I was very impressed by how Lexus takes care of their customers and not cut them short for their own savings . The passenger seat costs approximately $ 2,000.00 and the CD was approximately $ 1,500.00 . Not cheap if I had to repair them after the warrantee expires . They also found some minor stuff and they also were covered .

I suggest all to bring your LX in prior to the expiration . It may save you some big buck !

I have owned Merc. , BMW, Volvo , Acura , Toyota , and sad to say a Ford . Lexus beats them all in overall quality and service . Merc. comes close though depending on which veh. you have .
  • krodrenkrodren Member Posts: 31
    Lexus is good and all, but isn't it more a function of the individual dealer for that kind of truly outstanding service. My neighbor has an RX300 and he seems to have to fight for loaners, pickups, etc. from a Main Line (Phila) dealer.
  • londonfinlondonfin Member Posts: 31
    Am looking at GX vs. used LX (New too expensive). Anyone have thoughts on new GX versus used (2002) LX. How important is the new transmission/HP in 2003 LX? A 2003 Toyota LC would probably cost about the same as the other two. Have never owned Toyota/Lexus so am not sure about other differences between overall experience with dealers. We would need third row about 10-20% of time for younger children (4 & 8) but mostly would keep them folded. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • rnb2rnb2 Member Posts: 17
    Two questions please: (1) why go for the lx instead of the toyota ($10,000+ reasons). Really, the answers I get from Lexus dealers have been less than informative.

(2) I need a car that will go anywhere with confidence, that means real 4WD. But, is the LX big enough for 2 adults, two kids, to labradors, luggage, bikes. Roof luggage carrier. Bikes on trailer hitch? The third row seats are desirable but not absolutely necessary. So, LX, GX (or Toyota Equivalents) or suffer with a Suburban?
  • bigmissybigmissy Member Posts: 7
    My husband and I are going to the dealer to test the 2003 LX today. Just wondering if those who bought one could share their final price with me. Do they negotiate at all on it?

Also, we are thinking about a lease. Can someone share their lease terms with me, just so I have an idea of what to expect?

Thanks!

Ginny in Texas
    Depending on the dealer, at least in Mass., plan on from between $1000 and $3000 under sticker. When you ask, prepare for high volume moans. Good luck.
    I am still undecided between the GX and the LX. We sat down with the salesperson after we drove both cars so we could figure out the monthly payments on either car. Would you believe that they will NOT budge on price on either car?? Not a penny, even on the LX. He said they only get in the ones that are presold.

I still am leaning toward the LX just for interior seat comfort. I guess I will search for a low mileage pre-owned. I just can't pay $1300 a month for a car.
    Have you considered the Toyota Land Cruiser? I am currently making up my mind between the two.

I'd love some feedback, but other than the stereo, what is it about the LX that makes it worth $10,000 (post price negotiations) more than a loaded land cruiser (and I mean loaded).
    People always said that there was an $8-12k variance between the LC and the LX. When I was shopping for the 2001 model that was the case - technically at least. But most LC's came in so optioned out that the price differential was more like $3-4k. At that price differential the LX is definitely worth it. The LX always had a few things that were not available on the LC - such as the ability to lower the body when entering and exiting. Other than that it simply was more luxurious, rode quieter and smoother and had the better interior amenities including the Nak stereo earlier and now the ML. You also got the first service for free (its actually the first two - but I don't count the 1,000 mile check-up) and Lexus treats you lavishly with great service. If none of that latter stuff is important to you, or the price has widened to the point that it is not worth it, then you should go with the LC. It certainly is a classic and great SUV. Either way you can't go wrong.

By the way - Lexus let me have a demo truck over a weekend when I was shopping. Maybe you can get them and Toyota to give you demos on successive weekends to see which you prefer rather than base it all on short test drives.

A business acquaintence of mine who has a 2001 LC recently rode in my LX for a 50 mile trip into NYC and felt the LX was far more refined. He actually couldn't stop talking about the smooth, quiet ride and luxury feel of the truck. He loves his LC but will likely move to the GX or LX later this year. I must say though that money is no object for this person.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    I think Memory seats/steering wheel/mirrors is worth quite a bit!
    MB2, Thanks. In fact the LC I saw was loaded with not only every factory option, but everything the local Toyota folks could add at the port. In fact, the sticker was lowered $5000 in negotiations while the Lexus only $2000. The difference was $10,000.

As much as I like seat memory, and wooden steering wheels, they aren't worth it to me. I do wonder about driving though. I prefer a very stiff ride, I like the control. I wonder if the LX. set to sport, is much stiffer than the LC. As for quiet, I really didn't notice.

Take my word for it on the $10,000. I am truly torn.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Good luck. Let us know what you do.
  • kaseyt1kaseyt1 Member Posts: 1
    I have to tell you that I labored very hard over which vehicle to purchase.(2003 LC vs 2003 LX470) I initially put a deposit on an LC, but then changed my mind. I bit the bullet and went for the LX.

Why?:

Ride Control
    Service & Support (Toyota refused deposit refund)
    Exclusivity - Lexus Nameplate
    Beautiful Interior
    Great Sound System
    Quieter Ride
    Nicer Gauges
    Fantastic Paint(Sand Dollar)
    Rain Sensing Wipers
    Better Ride (Still could be a bit smoother)

Everyday that I hop into the LX I am reminded that I absolutely made the correct decision. What made me even happier was the fact that the Toyota dealer refused to refund my deposit (Lia Toyota in Albany/Schenectady, NY) and if they won't give back my deposit, what kind of problems would I have had when it came time for service?

I paid about $7,000 less than sticker!!! I know that some of you will probably not believe me and that's fine. I don't know exactly how it happened because if you try to buy an LX near NYC, they are getting sticker or very, very close. I did not use my local dealer, as they would not negotiate a price that I was happy with. I looked around and found a dealer that would work with me and he got the deal. I also secured financing for under 4% and it wasn't 3.99%. By the way, the discount on the LC was not as good as the LX.

I absolutely love the GPS system. I know it's available on both but I just had to mention it. Interestingly, the dealer told me that the Voice Command only controlled the GPS, but in fact it controls the stereo also. Say "I'm hungry" and the system, very nice female voice, says "System is Showing Restaurant Icons" and all the restaurants in the vicinity are displayed on the screen. Same for ATMs and Gas Stations, and Italian/Chinese Restaurants. Amazing!!!
    Also, I just took a trip down to Giant Stadium and used the GPS to guide me. It did a fantastic job, including which lane, left or right, to stay in for the upcoming exit.

Something else that the 2003 LX/LC has that the earlier versions don't have (according to dealer): the GPS screen changes colors when the headlights are turned on and it is much easier to see at night. Otherwise, there is too much glare for me.

I also have noticed that the heated seats sometimes turn off. Then they will turn back on. I have not called the dealer yet to find out if this is normal.

I'm sorry for going on and on, but I just love this vehicle. Yes, it is very expensive. To me though, it is worth every penny. I looked at the GX but it was just too cramped (I'm 6'2") and I didn't feel as though I had the needed leg room. Plus that swinging tailgate bothered me.

The big question is would I do it again if I could? Absolutely! That could change sometime in the future, but for right now, I am a very satisfied Lexus customer!!!
    The navi screen darkens when you turn on your headlights is an old feature. My brother's 2001 LX has that feature too.
    Softer? Less roll in the turns.

I don't care enough about car stereo and leather to pay. I can remember where I like my seat (I adjust constantly anyway).

I am going to put my dogs, luggage and kids in here. For pure riding pleasure, to me, nothing beats my M5. But it doesn't thrive in crud. The LC is supposed to thrive in cruddy, winter, slippery, conditions. I suppose the LX will too- it should.

But is it a better driving machine. Also, is the service that much better? I always wonder if the adjustable suspension is just something more to go wrong.

I will consider your advice about sticker price, and maybe query the Lexus dealer on reducing the price still more. But, I doubt any favorable results.
    Seems everyone I know drives a Suburban, but we found a www.kargoholder.com box that gives us the flexibility on family trips we need.
  • khcc1khcc1 Member Posts: 7
    I am currently leasing a 01 LX and have had a few problems with only 35K on the odometer. Currently, I have had it into the dealer twice for rear brakes squealing. The dealer kept telling me it was "normal". I said brakes shouldn't squeal on a $68K auto. I found on the net - ALLDATA - that there was a TSB for the brakes that was for my VIN#. I printed out the sheet, called the dealer and faxed the sheet over. I received a call back the next day that they were ordering new rear rotors under the TSB and would call me to schedule an appt. when the parts were in. Thought I would post this in case anyone is having the brake sqeal problem.

I have not had great service from my dealer. They do not seem to be very thorough.

My second and third row of seats shake and rattle constantly....its worse in the cold weater....the dealer said it is "normal". Has anyone else had this problem?
  • gbhopper2gbhopper2 Member Posts: 25
    Shaking and rattling is not normal. I am on my third LX and have not had these problems.

My only disappointment is that the 03 has lost its plush ride. They say is is the low profile tires. I don't think this is the problem since the LS has low pro tires and retained its plush ride.
    It is the low-profile tire AND the 18" rims.
  • devengdeveng Member Posts: 5
    Thanks Khcc1, I too have been suffering from Brake squeal, and I do think it is the rear brakes. During my last service visit on my 2001 a couple of months ago, I mentioned the problem, they did some fiddling with the brakes and told me everything was normal, and I had 50% life of the brake pads. Of course the squeals were still there and recently they have worsened. I Found the Technical Service bulletin number, but was not able to get any more information except for the bulletin number (how did you get the printout with the VIN numbers (did you subscribe to alldata?))

Also, I have been having some minor problems with the telescoping steering wheel vibrating and occasionally squeaking after I remove the ignition key, this has been a problem for over a year, minor but it has worsened, and what do you know, there is a service bulletin for this issue as well. I guess I will give the dealer a call and tell them the issues and hopefully they will order the parts and not ask me to bring the truck in 1st and then order the parts. Again thank-you for your post, as it has enlightened me (for future issues as well as issues on other cars).

By the way, I too have not been overly impressed with Lexus when it comes to diagnosing problems. I have fought with them on several other issues in the past in order to get things done properly, (which they will do willingly, but I have to be vigilant and ensure that a proper job is done and cannot trust them when they tell me everything is normal) and this is not with the same dealer (I moved to another state) and I get the same kind of response. Yes the service department will give free loaners, have a guy out front in a tux greeting you, someone in the service area serving coffee and breakfast, the place is clean, but ya know, I really don't care about that, I want things done properly the 1st time, and I don't like having to pester them (thank god for the internet and discussion groups as these). Overall I am very pleased with the product as a whole, but when it comes to the mechanics, unless the chief mechanic is working on your car (and has been keeping up to date with the service bulletins), expect the same level of quality as from your local Midas (Well.....OK not quite, Lexus probably has more expensive computers). So much for the Relentless Pursuit of Perfection.
    Deven
  • 9411794117 Member Posts: 39
    The people you meet when your car gets serviced don't know much about fixing cars. They are salespeople. My 15K service went from $460 (without replacing the A/C filter(s))to $180 (with replacing the A/C filter(s)) after we looked through the service manual and I told them to go by the book. The problem with my stereo speakers still hasn't been looked at so maybe next time, I guess.

Thank you posting about the TSB for the tilt wheel. Sometimes people ask me what that noise is.

Does anybody know if there is just one A/C filter (per the service manual) or two (per the dealership)?
  • khcc1khcc1 Member Posts: 7
    Unfortunately, to get the vin#'s covered in the tech bulletin, I had to subscribe to Alldata. The regular Alldata site is good because it gives you a short description of the bulletin, but not if your vehicle is affected. If you need the VIN#'s covered for the brake squeal, let me know and I will submit them. I didn't know for sure if it was my rear brakes or not, but since the rotors were replaced......there is quiet once again! Also, I had my telescoping steering wheel fixed about 8 months ago....it just kept getting progressively worse. In case anyone needs it, the link to Alldata is....http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html.
    Good luck.
  • scuz2scuz2 Member Posts: 6
    What's my '99 LX 470 with 69,000 miles worth? It's in great shape, inside and out with Nakamichi, etc. Newer tires, all service on time and at the Lexus dealer... Also, were there any issues with these trucks, chronic problems, etc. I've had none, but my buddy who's looking to buy it asked me. Thanks
    Check with your local library and see if they will subscribe to Alldata. Mine did.

Steve, Host
    No buying and selling on Town Hall please. Try the "Cars for sale near you" link on the main edmunds.com page.

Steve, Host
    Over the past month, I had been comparing larger SUV's - the Navigator, the Escalade, the Sequoia - but kept coming back to the LX. Since the price is so high on a 2003 LX, I was looking for a used one. My local dealer got in a 2002 pearl white one with only 7,100 miles on it last week. I scooped it up! Love it. The only down side is the lower HP compared to the other large SUV's I tested. (I tested just about all of them). But everything else makes up for it - the smooth ride, the comfortable seats (much more so than the Navigator in my opinion), the quiet engine and all the luxurious appointments.

It doesn't have some of the frills other ones have, but I can live without those. It's sure is beautiful!
    What frills doesn't it have? The luxury and great ride on the LX470 far surpasse the others and except for the dvd entertainment system it lacked in 2002 and before I can't think of anything it is missing. Did you get one with the Nav and Mark levinson?
  • devengdeveng Member Posts: 5
    True, I guess it is passionate (I do know why I thought is was relentless). Thanks for the tips and I will check with the local library if they subscribe to alldata (by the way the nhtsa.dot.gov will have a lot of the information as well, and some of the bullitins have pdf files attached to them (it has the info for the steering wheel squeel/vibration, but did not have one for the brake squeal). I will be checking with the dealer latter this week.

Deven
    The 2002 LX470 I just bought has the navigation and Mark Levinson. When I said it doesn't have some frills seen on some other SUV's, I meant things like radio controls on the steering wheel, switch to open back door automatically, third row seats that fold down into the floor, etc. These a just an example.

It really doesn't bother me that these options are not on the truck. Some others have mentioned some other things missing also. I was trying to say that even though the LX doesn't have all the frills of say, the Navigator, it is still a great vehicle.

Main 2 reasons I chose it over the Navigator were 1) the seat was more comfortable and it has the arm rest; and 2) the engine noise on the Navigator was fairly loud.

They are both very nice vehicles.

Ginny
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    My dilemma is different ,a new 2003 LX 470 or a new 2003 LAND CRUISER.From my point of view,I would prefer the LX ,my sister drives a new RX300 very,very nice.But if you have beer salary stay away from fancy wines. The 2003's have the 5 speed tranny for both the LX and the LC. Perhaps you guys can tell me more differences. Is the LX worth the extra money over the LC ? Thank you in advance. Lou
  • katana2katana2 Member Posts: 35
    That add up to big differences. I too am comparing both vehicles and almost bought a Cruiser Saturday. The biggest difference for me is the level of service and support you will recieve from the Lexus dealerships. Free loaner cars are important to me as I don't have a second vehicle to drive. The Toyota dealerships just give you a complimentary ride home.

I have read your posts on the TLC board and it sounds like you have done your research, but here are some of the differences: memory seats, mirrors that tilt automically and fold in at the press of a switch, Mark Levinson sound, wood trim, adj. suspension both ride and height, these are just a few of the differences. Like I said the little things add up.

Are these things I could live without? Yeah I could but it sure is nice livin with em.