Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

HHR Engine Problems

Comments

• chadsmomchadsmom Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2008 HHR SS and since the second week we have had it we have had the following happening to it: Won't start, knot on tire, brake problem, rotor problems, engine reduced power, and tire pressure sensors faullty.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Chadsmom,
    Have you had the concerns fixed or are they still present? Has your dealership taken care of these issues? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • loaded45loaded45 Member Posts: 1
    Just like chadsmom we also have a 2008 HHR it is in the driveway with the E.R.P. message displayed. The car was just inspected in MA on Saturday 9/4/10 and passed with flying colors. My wife and I used the car all weekend without problem, but Monday morning the error message appeared and the car started but would move only with very low power. Almost as if you were starting a standard shift in fifth gear. My son borrowed an ACTRON code reader and noted the following codes P0107,P0641,P0452 and 4 others he did not write down. The website states the codes mean in order Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Voltage, 5 Volt Reference 1 Circuit, and Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor Circuit Low Voltage. We do not know where to turn at this point since the car will not run and we need to repair as easily and affordably as possible. :sick:

Thank You
  • deehhrdeehhr Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 07 hhr for two days now, purchased it from carmax irvine, brought it in to service center, aligment is off, veers off to the right and started to overheat!!! Made it right up to the red zone in temp gauge but not quite there.....oh boy! Lady in service dept said they really don't see this car comein with issues....has anyone else had this issue????? I just got rid of my 03 vlovo v40 for overheatting, stalling, drained battery and gear and shifting problems @ 118,200 miles :)
  • ljumpljump Member Posts: 4
    I've bought at CarMax and they should fix any of the problems you describe without question if you take the car back to them before their short warranty runs out. They are supposed to do a very thorough check-out of the car when they get it in. Did the car veer to the right when you test-drove it? If you had done in-depth research, you would have found that there are quite a few unusual problems with all HHR models except for the SS, including the overheating. I have the 2008 SS and their have been no significant problems in nearly 80,000 miles.
  • hhrfearhhrfear Member Posts: 5
    Chandsmom, gmcustsvc,
    Do you have an answer to this problem? We are having the same problem. The car just shuts off with no warning. We let it sit a few minutes and it starts back up. It used to happen just once and again days or weeks apart, now it is happening 6 -12 times in a single trip to the store in less then 5 mile drive. It is a real safety issue and no one seems to have an answer...Please help if you can! PS we replaced the ECM and still happening so it is obviously not that!
    hhrfear,

Have you been in contact with a GM dealership? Please keep me posted.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    What year HHR?
    It is a 2006. We have noticed something new. When the temp outside is nice and cool 55 and below we have no apparent issues. The warmer it gets outside the more often the engine just shuts off. It appears it has something to do with the car hitting it running temp. But not sure what to look into to have it fixed.
    The only contact we have had is to call the dealership we bought it from to ask if they have any known issues like ours. They said they would ask around and get back to us. We have not received a call. The car of course is not under the warranty anymore and we have read of many many people having this issue and not getting an answer at the dealer because they could not duplicate the problem. I have dealt with the economy and un-employment and just don't have money to pay a dealer to tell me they could not duplicate the problem. I am trying to find answers from people that are familiar and/or have had the same issues.
    hhrfear,

I completely understand. When you are able to have the vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealership, I encourage you to contact GM Customer Assistance directly.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Its not running hot,correct? There was an issue with some of the 06's that had to do with a metal hold down for a bundle of wires on top on engine. The metal could fray the wires and cause a variety of problems.
    No The car is not actually running hot. It is just when it gets warm outside and the car does not stay cool (temp outside keeps the car hot longer) then we have much more problems with it dieing. Always once the engine/car has a chance to cool down then it starts right back up. We are going to check the wire issue you explained tomorrow. Thank you. I will keep you posted and for all the others I have read on the many forums that seem to be having the same issue with no answers. The temp is going up a little bit more each day for the rest of the week so we are expecting many more issues with the engine simply shutting down. The last few days it has been 30-50 degrees and we have had not one issue...going now into the 70s and this will test our theory. This is a huge safety issue and I would like to see it addressed before someone gets seriously injured or killed! Thank you for your input! It is much appreciated!
    I appreciate your response. What exactly is GM Customer Assistance. What can they do? GM has to be aware of this problem...many many people are having this problem. It is all over many forums all over the internet yet no one seems to be getting an answer. I am so disappointed in GM for not taking the inicitive to address this issue. My family has been loyal to GM for over 50 years and very happily so, but right now being forced to drive a dangerous vehicle like this is very upsetting!

How does one get GM to look into this issue and make the dealership aware and for someone to research what is going on??!
    hhrfear,
    GM Customer Assistance works with customers and dealers to resolve customers concerns. Customer Assistance is the customer’s avenue to give all kinds of feedback to GM, from the vehicles to the dealers. I would definitely recommend speaking with them. If you would like i can set up a case for you. I would just need you to email me your complete contact information, VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • amihillsamihills Member Posts: 1
    I tried to shut my car off tonight after running errands and the key would not turn so I could turn the vehicle off. I had to finally pull the fuse for the fuel injectors and disconnect the battery so that it would stop running.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so how was it resolved?
  • nana130nana130 Member Posts: 2
    While it is raining water get into the air intake snorkle, and into the throttle body, and causes the model to stumble. any ideas??
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Is this a stock intake (not a cold air intake, modification, etc?)

If it's stock, how do you know this is the problem--have you actually found water in your air filter?
  • nana130nana130 Member Posts: 2
    yes it is stock, yes water in air filter
    Hmm....I think your filter is supposed to have little drain holes to let out moisture build up, but I never heard of an HHR sucking in any appreciable amount of water---that would be extremely dangerous for the engine.

of course, if you hit a deep enough puddle, fast enough, just about any car could suck in water and "hydro-lock"---that means water enters the combustion chamber and the piston comes up to compress it--but of course, it cannot, and the engine seizes.

Didn't see any TSB on this, sorry.
  • jenjenrwjenjenrw Member Posts: 1
    Could be the ignition module....I just went through that with my Saturn. I'm looking to buy a used HHR....so just trolling the forums on reviews...
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    I own a 2010 2LT HHR and I LOVE IT...
    I trade my cars every 5 yrs and was looking forward to trade it for a 2015 when the time will come but my GM dealer told me that the last year of production for the HHR was the 2011 model.
    Can you imagine a 6 foot, 219 pound, 55 yrs old man with tears in his eyes...well, that was me in the showroom that day.
    "Forums" are good to read but be careful I notice that 90% of the time people write negative points on those "forum" not to much positive.
    I was a cook in a restaurant for many years and if the meal was good...you could hear a pin drop on the carpet but if a cup of coffee was not hot enough...customers could yell it out in the restaurant and talk about it during the entire meal.
    I never heard a customer yell "Hey cook, your meal is extra good".
    So...be careful about what you read on these "forums", negative issues are soooooo easy to come out of someone's mouth (or writing).
    edited January 2012
    That's often right about forums---we are like the ER room at the hospital...you don't have people coming in too often saying "you know, I feel GREAT!" :)

However, the problems posted here are REAL for that person, and you know, if it happened to THEM, it could conceivably happen to YOU.

Fortunately, I have put a magic spell on your HHR to protect it from harm until 2015. :P
    'Fortunately, I have put a magic spell on your HHR to protect it from harm until 2015'

Can you put one on my 06' as well? (just in case)
    Welllllll, I dunno. Did you keep all your oil change receipts? Spells have rules you know. :P
    Well, thank you very much for your magic spell cause without the HHR around, the world had stopped turning for me...What am I going to do now?
    I started looking at the new 2012 Chevrolet Sonic "Hatchback" (I always take a couple of years before deciding what to buy).
    It's smaller, economical, nice and planning to retire at 60 (I'll be 58 in 2015) so...if that Sonic passes the test, it might be it.
    So you like that "classic" look or just the practicality of a small, long hatchback?

You could buy a nice clean low miles 2010 PT Cruiser I guess.

MINI makes a cute classic 4door hatch but its very pricey.

I looked at the HHR when they first came out but bought a Scion xA instead---similar type of vehicle and ALSO discontinued! Another great little hatch down the tubes.

What is it with automakers? The HHR, the xA the PT Cruiser, all gone.
  • shakes23shakes23 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a USED HHR from a dealer for $6900. I bought it on 2/19 and apparently I left the lights on today so when I was leaving work it would start. Tried jumping it, nothing. Had to get it towed to a mechanic. Tried to change a fuse under the hood, nothing. Thinking it could be the engine or starter....of course I bought it as is, no warranty. It had been doing fine until today. The mileage is 107k..
    What did it do when you tried to start it,nothing or crank and didn't fire? 06 it may be time for a new battery if still original (my is). Hopefully if the jump attempt was from under the hood the correct pos post was used (quite often the 'B' post is tried which is wrong and messes with the electric steering)
  • steve1942steve1942 Member Posts: 1
    my 2009 HHR was using coolant and it was found to be in the oil.
    10151 miles and I get a new engine thanks to warranty on car. These
    engines are made from a pourous metal and sometimes do develope
    a small leak from the water jacket letting coolant go into the oil pan.
    This is what happened to our HHR. If your HHR is overheating or if
    the fan continues to run after you shut it off, you may have the same
    problem. Take it to a mechanic and have them check for coolant in
    the oil.
  • fauncemilfauncemil Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem now with a 2010 hhr came home from running to store and would not shut off had to pull fuel pump fuse how did you resolve your problem ? any information would be helpful . ty
    Didn't you receive a "recall letter" from G.M. at the beginning of this year explaining that the HHRs could have a faulty "ignition cylinder" resulting in exactly what yours did.
    Problems that could result from this issue...Key won't turn to start or stop engine or the key will get stucked in the ignition won't be able to get it out.
    Mine is also a 2010, didn't have any problem with that but I got the "ignition cylinder" changed (no charge) last march just in case.
    They say that we have till 2014 to get that "ignition cylinder" changed at no charge or else could be a 250$ job.
    I advise you to check with G.M. or go to any G.M. dealer for information.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning fauncemil,

If you would like for us to check into any warranty or recall information on your behalf please email us the last 8 digits of your VIN and inquiry to socialmedia@gm.com and we would be happy to help!

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • dddaddiodddaddio Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2006 HHR. The last couple weeks, when approaching 3500/4000 rpm, the engine cuts out. My first thought is a fuel pump/fuel filter problem. The reason I am not sure is the way the engine cuts out. A "classic" fuel flow problem symptom is that the engine cuts out at higher rpms, and will not run as long as you floor the pedal, but will idle, or run ok at low rpms. This is different. When the engine gets to around 3500 rpm, it cuts out for about 1/2 second, then runs for 1/2 second, then cuts out, runs, cuts out, etc. Naturally, this causes the car to lurch, pause, lurch, pause.....like someone just learning to drive with a clutch. I don't mind replacing the fuel pump/filter assy, if I am sure this is the problem.
    Anybody have any ideas?
    Sounds like an ignition problem actually. You might scan the car's computer to see if there's a misfire code in there. But sure, you can do a fuel pressure test as well.
    Good point. I will do that. Another "symptom" that I neglected to mention in the original posting is that this seems to start about the time the transmission should be shifting into high gear. At first I thought it was transmission related, but when the lurching starts, you can shift into neutral and the misfiring continues. Not sure if this will jog any other thoughts.
    Good point. I will do that. Another "symptom" that I neglected to mention in the original posting is that this seems to start about the time the transmission should be shifting into high gear. At first I thought it was transmission related, but when the lurching starts, you can shift into neutral and the misfiring continues. Not sure if this will jog any other thoughts.
    Sounds like the engine is bumping the "rev" limiter.
    @ 3500/4000 a electronic device automatically shuts off the gas line before any damage occurs the the engine. It's totally normal.
    I rarely go over 3,000 rpm only when going up steep hills (3200 rpm once) and no problem with mine.
    Lots of cars do this at a "high" or "dangerous" rpm's.
    We have HHR's they aren't tuned as sport cars.
    Is there a way to disable this "device" temporarily to see if it is truly what is causing the problem? I have owned this car for 5 plus years, and it has always shifted at a high rpm....so I figured it was the nature of the beast, so to speak.
    That could be tough, since you have, I believe, electronic throttle, so the rev limitations are built into the software. You'd probably have to install some kind of tuning chip to raise or eliminate the rev limiter...IF in fact that's your problem. I'd still get a scan and see if anything comes up to give you more of a clue.
    Oh how I miss the good ol' days....points, rotor buttons, distributer caps....and that $15 mechanical fuel pump that bolted onto the side of the engine block......
    I ran out of ways to fix my own cars with my own hands in about 1995. I'm way behind the curve myself now. :cry: Well I can change oil, plug in a scan tool, do brake pads, fuses, battery, light bulbs--but that's about the short list.
    Yes you can disable it with a "G.M. TECH2" (Diagnostic Scanner Tool).
    Oh! those good ol' days are gone forever...I remember when we could calibrate points we a match booklet cover and repair mostly anything ourselves. But now a days, electronics, computers...what's next?
    I don't think its the rev limiter @4K on tach unless its a 2.2 AND it has much lower redline ( I believe redline on my 2.4 is 6200 or 6500). I have had my MT version close to redline a couple times without rev limiter kicking in (although if I stayed there a bit, the light would come on suggested an upshift might be in order ;) .

I think I might be looking at fuel filter or ignition thing as Mr Shiftright suggested.
    Thanks for all the help folks. I went with my gut, decided to try the cheap route first. Put a bottle of HEET in the gas tank....problem solved. I just never experienced the almost rhythmic fire/not fire/fire symptom before, and that is what threw me. Thanks again.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Since the methyl alcohol worked to help the fuel flow, does that mean the fuel filter is partly clogged with stuff or with water that the Heet picked up and moved enough of to help for the time being. I'd suggest it's time to change the fuel filter. On the theory that there's stuff in the tank getting caught in the filter, I'd put in a Techron Fuel System Cleaner for 12 gallon tank after running the Heet out. Run that down and THEN change the fuel filter, so that gunk and water in the tank are thoroughly cleared out and won't get caught in the new fuel filter.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

Hhmm Since the HEET appears to have worked I might wonder if there is some water in fuel , and with today's more closed systems how it got there, bad fuel perhaps? (Also can't go wrong with imidazol97's suggestions)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    edited January 2013
    > how it got there

More than likely with the tank and contents being cold and then the atmosphere containing more moisture in warmer air. The system doesn't seal completely and must take in and out some air with moisture. Warmer moist air cools in the tank and moisture is dropped out. Or the tank is opened to put in gasoline on warmer days.

As for the Techron, I've used it since BMW recommended it back in the 90s for the system and injectors. Note there is an Injector Cleaner version that is cheaper, but I like the Fuel System Cleaner. Run tank down to as low as you like to get it, put in the Techron so it's concentrated in a few gallons as you put in the new fuel. That way it can dissolve gunk before it's diluted with the additional 7-10 gallons of fuel you put into the HHR tank of 12 gallons.

A radio car technician always recommends using premium of a name brand to do this with the Techron, for the additional additives in the premium fuel. I usually do that as well. He liked Chevron and Shell. Chevron's additive package is what the Techron is--it's a Chevron product. We dont' have Chevron in this area of the country anymore.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• moodlymoomoodlymoo Member Posts: 1
    I have the usual brake shuttering issues with the HHR. Mine is a 2006 2LT. I am not going to discuss that issue here. This morning upon going to work I got a block away up a big hill and the REP message and CEL came on. First time ever. I managed to coast back home and called for a ride to work. It is 14 degrees here and my bf left very little gas in the car for me. I dont know what to do. I have not taken it to a dealership as I have no money and he will look at it when it warms up a little. Any ideas???
    CEl could be any number of things. Some places such as autozone will run a scan to determine what codes come up. That would be first step. Was it running ok even with light on? Heat working ok?