Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LX 470

Comments

• fj100fj100 Member Posts: 97
    I have also heard these rumors on the net. The word on the street is that lexus will base the bigger ute on the Sequioa. Talk about profit margin. I hope this does not happen but I have a feeling it will, to many people concerned with bling, bling instaed of real trucks. So no more Land Cruiser Wagons and no more Land Cruiser based LX's, just Sequioa for Toyota and Sequioa based VX550 for Lexus. The LC will go back to being a Jeep Beater.

This will be a sad day indeed. The rest of the world will get the new and improved Land Cruiser and we will be stuck with a US only vehicle based on a pickup truck built in the US. I hope I am wrong.
  • rharvey3rharvey3 Member Posts: 1
    We are in the process of buying a new LX 470, my local dealer has offered me my choice of cars at $1,500 OVER invoice. Where are your numbers at? Thanks for the help.
  • ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    I have a LX470 with 58,000 miles ( give and take a few miles ) . Had a problem with my starter . Sometimes it would start on the dime and sometimes it took a few trys . Went to my local dealer and explained the problem . They had my LX for 3 days with a courtesy vehicle provided ( RX300 ) during the diagnostic and repair . The LX was 8,000 miles out of warrantee and I thought I may have to complain to the top brass to maybe get a pro-rated charge on the bill . I was wrong . I only had to explain to my service advisor and he did the rest . LEXUS PUT IN A NEW STARTED AND COVERED THE COST OF EVERYTHING , 100 % ! Other then this , the LX470 is a solid SUV ! I have a Infiniti FX45 too, I am curious if they can match the service of Lexus ?
  • stacystacy Member Posts: 91
    Thats a great deal. IMHO, wont do better. Grab it and enjoy. They are not selling LX at invoice or lower like the RX type bcz they just make too few.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Hi guys , a few weeks ago we purchased a new 03 Land Cruiser and since then all the threads in the LX and LC are mentioning the dismantled of these great vehicles. If that is the case I wll wait for the last year they are making the real LC & LX and purchased one of them, probably the LX470. Toyota is not in the habit of shooting themselves in the head, so I hope this is only a rumor.
     Happy 4th of July ......

Lou
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    is a VERY nice deal on an '03. I suggest you grab it. You'll be getting one of the best cars in the world for less than 60K. Congrats! Just out of curiosity, what dealership are you working with?
  • great2great2 Member Posts: 8
    saw message by gteach26 #837. did you buy the veh.? if possible, what was your price before sales tax. looking for 03 lx 470 but i was offered $65 out the door. i think its 2 high. Any help. thanx
  • docrock143docrock143 Member Posts: 18
    Hey all...a quick question about the 3rd row of seats in the 2003 LX 470. When these seats are folded up and against the rear side window, does the top outermost portion of the seats get a bit "crunched" when pressed against the wheel wells? In my wife's GX 470, the seats fold nice and neat.
    When I took delivery of my LX 470, the 3rd row right rear seat had been folded up, and when I took it down, the upper corner was folded and creased. It all smoothed out after a day in the sun. Then when I put the seat back into the folded position, I noticed that the seat corner gets smashed against the wheel well...is that just how it is?
    Thanks all,
    Alan
    All figured out...the seats slide back a bit as they are folded up...3rd row seats fold up nice n neat....I guess every once in a while, you still have to read the manual.
    AB
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    If you ever want to out the back seats because you may need added space back there for a big item you may have bought you won't believe how easy it is. They come out and go back in within minutes.

I tend to take them out on long trips and set up a suspension theatre DVD system for my kids back there. They can also lay down and sleep.
  • jwilberdingjwilberding Member Posts: 25
    I searched the archives and didn't get all the answers I was looking for. I was told by a friend at a lexus dealer to go for the '01 because there were a ton of positive changes. Can anyone out there help me? My wife really wants me to finally make the move.

I found a '00 with 34k miles and an '01 with 42k miles. I am going to check and see when the '01 was purchased and if the '00 is still under warranty.

thanks a lot!
  • prelude1997prelude1997 Member Posts: 26
    Jason, if you go to used cars, and select Used Cars, and pull up the 01 LX, then select Editor's Review, there's a section called "What's New for 2001". I'm in the same boat as you - was looking for an 00 but after finding out that child seat anchors came on the 01, am now looking for an 01.
    Virtually no changes at all. The only thing I remember was that the credit card spare key started the LX in 2001 whereas it only got you in the door in 2000. They may have made optional things like the nav system standard in 2001 but it was there as an option in 2000.
  • carfan4surecarfan4sure Member Posts: 49
    We are happy owners of a '00 LX that required the replacement of these. We are 4,000 miles within the warranty and it cost us nothing but the loss of the vehicle for two and a half days. Anybody else out there had this problem? Anybody out there purchase an extended warranty?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Were the manifolds cracked or the manifold bolts? The bolts were a problem on some Nissans in the 90's. Thx,

Steve, Host
  • carfan4surecarfan4sure Member Posts: 49
    It was the manifold, both right and left, not the bolts. This thing is cast iron! The aluminum head must contract and expand at different rates against the cast iron. We do some off roading, and have trailered a boat to a lake and launched it in comparatively cool water, enough to get the hot exhaust pipe suddenly cold/wet, but those events aren't going to cause this. I'm thinking this must be a an isolated manufacturing flaw unless there are others on this board with similar problems, which leads me to ask if I need to buy an extended warranty.
    Has anyone here had the opportunity to drive both the LX and GX 470? The specs on Lexus.com make them seem like VERY similar vehicles. Would a person wanting more room appreciate the difference in interior room between these vehicles or are they about the same? As far as I can tell, the only difference that makes me like the LX more is the full center armrest and the non-swinging rear door. How about ride quality, quietness, etc?? Is the extra $$ for the LX worth it?
  • sta2sta2 Member Posts: 19
    Can someone explain how to change the a/c filter? Can they be purchased at the parts counter?

We also had our left side manifold replaced (cracked at 60k) under the 70k powertrain warranty.

We researched extended warranties, but didn't find one that would cover exhaust manifolds.

Dave
    God morning everyone...I have not only driven both of them, but our family went overboard and purchased the GX for my wife, and the LX for me....although the specs may be similar, there is indeed more room in the front seats of the LX, especially for the driver. Definitely more hip and shoulder room. It was a tight fit for me in the GX driver's seat (I am a big guy), but in the LX, I clearly was more comfortable and had more room. I just couldn't get as comfortable as I would like driving the GX because of the lack of the center armrest. I just had no where to put my right arm, the the midget/dwarf armrest just didn't help me. The LX center console makes all the difference in the world for me. (I use the console for my armrest rather than the "reaL armrest - it is perfect in position for me to rest my arm.) I do think the LX is a touch quieter. In comparing the vehicles, why the LX still has a mast antenna (vs. diversity built-into the rear glass is beyond me. Also, the GX has no coat hooks in the ceiling by the rear seats!!
    Both are terrific vehicles, and my wife loves the GX; it just wasn't the car for me from a driver's position and comfort level.
    Best regards,
    Alan
    I agree the center armrest is much better in the LX (why Lexus does not put one on all their SUV's is beyond me). How do you feel about the armrests on the door panels of the GX v. LX? I noticed that the GX does not have the diagonal grab handle between the armrest and the window switches. Does this door panel design (on the GX) open up more room for your left arm? On the times I've driven the LX I found that the diagonal grab handle on the door was too big and obtrusive. It kept me from finding a comfortable driving position with my left arm. You?
  • anastasia2anastasia2 Member Posts: 1
    and I sure could use the xpert help of this group. I've been reading this and other sites for about a year and have decided on the LX470. Now, surprisingly at the same time I have this possibility. A 2003 with a bit more than 10000 miles with the Levinson and the Lexus Link, but no night vision. It's not my color and I would like the entertainment system (any idea how much a dealer should charge to put one in?). In any case, I could get it for $56,500. The car looks practically new and was on lease, now being replaced with a Lexus SC (guess he/she thought LX too big)

My questions: How good a deal is this? Is there anything I should be asking for or looking for?

Thanks to all.

Anne

p.s. am wife with two very small ones and live in remote area. Currently use Jeep to get around in winter (couldn't possibly get to my house without SUV and good 4 wheel drive). Need (want)fancier car and also little girls aren't good in bouncy jeep.
    I am by no means a car buying guru, and I'm sure others here will chime in with better advice
    BUT...
    From what I've seen, here in S. Fla a brand new 2003 LX will sell for your current used one's price in around five months (they're already selling for around 59K here according to Carsdirect.com). Five months from now dealers here will be trying to dump what's left of their '03 inventory and I've noticed that pricing gets very good down here during Lexus's "December to Remember" time. Figuring that you are not fond of the color and want a rear entertainment system (a $2,025 factory option), you may want to wait for end of year specials -- if you can. There are PLENTY of cheaper aftermarket DVD systems out there for your truck, but personally, I would not let anyone but a Lexus person fiddle with my 60K investment and you'd have to figure at least 2K for a dealer-installed and under warranty job.

Also, keep in mind that with the used one you have already lost a year of your bumper to bumper warranty (even a CPO will only get you 3 years vs. the 4 for new ones)..

If you really want that LX now, I'd try to negotiate with my sales rep so that maybe they can put in a rear ent. system at a significant discount. I'd also ask if they would offer you a discounted extended warranty price to make up for the year you've lost. Try to get them to do something for you to convince you make the deal happen now. If they know there's room to negotiate on this truck, they will. In any case, it is a super suv and I'm sure your family will love it. Good Luck!
    Teach: 03 drives better than previous years. lx more comfy, smoother ride, agree with above. Sit in them and drive them both and you will decide. But IMHO, lx worth it.

Ana: Get the color and specs you want. Dont save 5K on this car and lose warranty time. 10k miles is alot, and you dont know how hard those miles were driven or towing, etc. IMO, this used one is not worth it.

Warranty question: If you want to keep this car over 4yr/50K, get it if only for piece of mind, as if you need an out of warranty repair it could cost you big $$$$$. Also, lex platinum warranty is fully refundable if you buy and dont use. We bought one.

Good luck to all.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    ...get it if only for piece of mind...

LoL! I would hope that we'd get peace of mind but I suppose piece of mind is what we contribute on message boards! ;-)

tidester, host
    I just test drove the GX recently when my LX was in for service. It rides quiet and smooth and has a great interior. But it is no match for the LX. On paper it looks like it could be. But when you get out of the GX and back into the LX you notice the difference real fast and I've got a 2000 LX - not a 2003. The LX is roomier and rides smoother at all speeds and in my opinion is also a bit quieter. The GX will "thump" you on a bump whereas the LX just puts it away. The GX is a fine SUV - and handles somewhat better than the LX - but the LX is the real luxury SUV with the roominess and width I need and a third row seat that ia so much more usable. The GX is narrower and more cramped and the sceond row is not as friendly to passengers if you have a car seat in it. The LX leaves those passengers with plenty of room.

I was seriously thinking about the GX and if I weren't coming out of an LX it would probably have blown me away - it is that good. But if you have gotten used to the LX it is a different story. The comments on the GX board about vibrations at certain speeds are also troublesome. I drove it for 25 minutes and got it up to 60mph but didn't feel any such vibrations as I was accelerating or cruising. It's hard to believe Lexus would have such a widespread problem but I take those posters seriously and there are a number of them.

Long and short of it is that my LX lease is up at year end and I've decided to buy a 2004 LX this time, rather than lease, and take advantage of the section 179 tax deduction on 6000lb vehicles.
    ljflx... I can see where you're coming from. I've had the chance to drive the LX (not the GX) a few times and it is sweet. We're probably looking at trading in my wife's RX later this year and were wondering if the GX would suffice. I'm thinking along your lines that the LX is the way to go (more room, smoother, etc.).. but the misses will be driving it 80% of the time so I guess I'll have her test drive both.. and maybe I can nudge her to the LX, but -- knowing my "accountant" wife, the $10,000 savings of the GX will be a tough hurdle to overcome!! Also, with an LX redesign in the works I'd wonder what we'd be missing out on if we go for the LX now.
    The new RX is nice - big improvement over the old one which was a darn good suv to begin with. I had it as a loaner (with all of around 350 miles on it) last month. I'm probably going to get the RX for my wife and the LX for the bigger family needs and myself. I also have an LS lease expiring early next year and the new LS sounds awesome. I need three vehicles (and after the 2002 NJ endless snowy winter - two have to be AWD) and Lexus has all three niches well covered for me with the LS,LX and RX. My wife also is somewhat reluctant to drive the large LX unless she has to but she loves the RX330. She took it out the moment I got home with it and I didn't see it again for hours.
  • simmikiesimmikie Member Posts: 2
    Is Toyota really going to redesign the Lexus LX 470 with a larger more powerful engine? What model year is this going to happen in??
    I wish you would correct every typo on all these boards, but I know you dont. Sorry you have too much time on your hands. It's a shame you have to be critical of the thoughtful posts. Maybe you ought to spend your time criticizing those who leave posts people truly don't want to read. You know what I mean.
    Supposedly it will be based on the Sequoia platform and will be very luxurious. I've ridden in a neighbors Sequoia and it is an excellent riding SUV. It rides quite smooth and pretty quiet for a truck that large. Lexus will likely make that thing ride nearly as smooth and quiet as an LS430. It is also going to be very luxurious and priced in the $70-75k price range from what I've been told. The remake year is supposed to be 2006 or 2007 with an early entry point in the spring of the year before. Alas if it is a big as a Sequoia it will be quite a bit larger than the current LX which is already big enough for me and too big for my wife. That is another reason I may buy as I may not want to lease the larger new one in 2007.

What will be interesting is to see what happens with the GX. One thing I was told - a while back - by my Lexus sales rep is that the Toyota Landcruiser will not be discontinued at all - but will come in two versions - the current one and a Hummer like one. The GX may then move to the TLC platform, effectively replacing the current LX. But GX sales have been running ahead of expectations - more in the 35-40k annual range than the 25k Lexus was shooting for. So it may not be smart to enlarge the GX. Let's see what happens.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's a shame you have to be critical of the thoughtful posts.

I did nothing of the sort. I found your "typo" humorous and thought you would agree. Oh, well!

tidester, host
  • simmikiesimmikie Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for sharing that information with me. It seals the deal on finding a 2003 CPO to drive until the new LX 470 is released. It is a little disappointing to hear that the new LX may become a behemoth like the Sequoia. The current LX model is an understated classic and classy beauty, just needing some additional ponies.

How did you manage to develop this intel on the next generation LX?? I have looked everywhere I could think of, and found nothing! Your last name is not Tenet, is it?

Mike
    My sales rep filled me in on this stuff a while ago. He had told me about the LS being altered somewhat in 2004 as well though the big changes for the LS will be in 2006 when it will bring in several engine options including a V-12. The latter makes me also wonder if the LX will get a V-12 and other engine options when it is redone. I believe the LS and LX will both have major changes in the same model year so it's a possibility. I had also read about the LX moving to the Sequoia platform in the news section of one of the auto mags.
  • aggiebartaggiebart Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone know of a website where they are sold?
  • tdo123tdo123 Member Posts: 102
    I have found that the Sales Reps are usually the last to know. They hear what coming mostly just by folks like us that say we hear about upcoming changes.

I pray for a more powerful LX. I think Lexus would gain some market share back if they could compete with Denali and Navigator on horsepower.
  • cbs03cbs03 Member Posts: 9
    I am considering buying a used LX470, which I love. The only thing I would change is that I actually prefer the way the Toyota Land Cruiser drives. Is there anything I can do to make the LX470 drive more like a truck (Land Cruiser)?

I heard someone mention putting Land Cruiser suspension components in ? If so, approx. how much would that cost ?
    Thanks in advance!
    You won't have to go to such extremes. If you buy a 2000 or later (perhaps even a 98 or 99 but I'm not sure) the suspension has different settings. I always ride with the comfort one for the luxury sedan-like ride. But if you go to the sport mode on the far right you have more of a TLC type of ride. Regardless of the ride though the LX470 will be noticably quieter than a TLC.

Can anyone quote prices they got recently on an LX loaded with everything including the DVD entertainment system. I just may buy a late 2003 model. Also is the night vision any good? I have tons of deer in my area and thought it could be helpful. The only thing I wish the truck had that is missing is that rear camera. This thing NEEDS it when you are backing out of parking spaces in shopping centers and malls etc.
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    Try , performance products dot com

Lou
  • rentschlrentschl Member Posts: 69
    I'm looking for information on an issue that I(and others) are seeing on 2003 V8 Toyota 4Runners. I thought I'd check with other discussion groups to see if this issue is present on other 4.7L V8 equipped Toyotas. This includes: Tacomas, Sequias, Landcruisers, LX470s and GX470s.

The Issue
    ---------
    A groaning noise, especially apparent when reving the engine. Also a distinct loss of power. More noticeable when climbing steep hills or accelerating.

When it Occurs
    --------------
    Only when ambient temperatures reach into the upper 90s and above. At lower temperatures the vehicle behaves fine.

Theory
    ------
    The fan clutch reacts to ambient temperature and slips when cooling is not needed. It locks when more cooling is necessary. When it locks, the rpm of the cooling fan is higher, thus the noise. This is not new technology and has been utilized for years. It is called a viscous clutch mechanism.

The theory is that the viscous clutch is locking up at the higher ambient temperatures, causing the fan to spin faster. This accounts for the noise and the power loss. Several subscribers have experience with this in other vehicles and point out that when the viscous clutch locks-up the fan takes a tremendous amount of power from the engine.

See Also
    --------
    There has been on-going discussion on the Edmund's discussion group titled "Toyota 4Runner".

Other V8 Equipped Toyotas?
    --------------------------
    If other V8 equipped Toyotas do not display this behavior, then I would speculate that maybe there's something different about their cooling systems. Maybe the 4Runner (and GX470), being smaller, didn't have as much room for as big a radiator. Maybe they compensated by using a viscous clutch with a lower "lock-up" temperature???

Articles
    --------
    http://www.atra-gears.com/gears/2002-10/2002_10_64.pdf
    http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/pdf/200207-en.pdf#dst01

What experiences has anyone had with anything like this on any 4.7L V8 equipped Toyota?

Thanks,
    Eric Rentschler
  • nycdoc29nycdoc29 Member Posts: 3
    August 8th 03

Hi, I've be the owner of several cars from the Mercedes stable, but I'm now in the market for an SUV and the Lexus LX 470 caught my eye. Seems to have a great interior and plenty of toys for me. Anyways I've notice that Edmunds has the car (LX 470) going for about $2000 below sticker (69,100 is MSRP for the vehicle I'm looking for)...does that sound right? How realistic is that ? Or should I push for a price closer to invoice? I'm in the New York, L.I. area (the air is thick with RX 300's here). Also I've noticed a Dealer Holdback for the model, how exactly does this work?

Any feedback on the Navigation System and the Night Vision option, is it worth it?

Thanks
    Sonny
    Try a high volume dealer like Lexus of Manhattan or Ray Catena in Larchmont NY and Ocean NJ. They ususally discount the most. I was also seriously considering a 2003 but have decided to wait to later in the year and will take a 2004. I have a 2000 LX470. It's a fabulous SUV and you will be quite happy with it. But if you can only get it at 2k under list this late just wait to 2004. I'm sure though that you can cut a deal at $5k under list at the big volume dealers.

I'm curious about the night vision as well as I live in Monmouth county and just saw 3 deer cross my lawn. During nighttime in the fall they are all over the place and a few of my neighbors have hit them.

The Lexus DVD based Nav system and the Mark Levinson stereo are the best in the industry and the truck rides like an S-class or LS430 sedan and is very quiet.
    I know Lexus is clearing out '03 inventory now through Sept. 2 with special deals.. BUT.. when it comes to the LX I'm willing to bet that there'll be more than a few '03 LX's in dealer's lots come the holiday season. The "December to Remember" sales event usually has the best prices -- ESPECIALLY on left-over '03 inventory. Here in S. Fla brand new 2002 LX's were going for INVOICE at the larger dealers during December of last year. Of course, the downside is you may have a more limited inventory and within a few weeks you'll be driving "last year's model", but if you plan on keeping the truck for many years then the depreciation hit won't matter much and thousands of $$ can be saved - if you can wait 3/4 months. I'm not sure about markets elsewhere, but I know this to be true where I live.

In any case, if I needed to buy now, or if I wanted to lease and needed a good cap cost figure, I would check with carsdirect.com -- try out several zip codes around the country and see what you find. Right now in my area a fully loaded LX with nightvision, rear ent, etc., etc. (around 70K msrp)is going for around 65K. If past experiences come true again though, come December it'll be invoice plus tax and dealer fee and you're done! I'm waiting 'till "December to Remember" to get my wife's '03 LX.

Good luck shopping!
    That's what I did in early 2001 and took advantage of a special 30 month lease deal. Very rare type of lease for Lexus and I've not seen one since. But I believe the 2004's are due out in early October so the holiday season may be too late.
  • rugetirugeti Member Posts: 54
    Thanks, that discussion was helpful. I have an ML with a year left on the lease that we can't stand. I'm ready to buy a replacement at any point, but am sort of hanging out waiting for the 04's to see if the changes warrant getting the new model.

I'm curious to see if Lexus will be more price competitive with the new Nissan and Infinity coming out. I'm not sure if the competition will hurt them or not, but the LX is an aged model. Frankly I love it, I'd just like to see the price come down and am looking for reasons why it might.
  • nycdoc29nycdoc29 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your info guys, I actually saw a dealer demo the night vision for me, he took the truck into the service bay area, and had the lights off.... The image that is projected is B&W not green like shown in the LX 470 promo material. Anyways the demo wasn't too impressive (maybe because it was in the service bay) but I'm probably giving up on the idea (most trucks that come witht he night vision are usually loaded with dealer-addon's as well with MSRP over 70k). Anyways the one I'm looking at is MSRP $66,071, its the base truck with the audio, cargo and wheel locks and stuff. The best offer I've got so far is 58,000. plus tax and DMV... is that a good price? I've actually not finalized it because my wife still isn't too sure of the color...(its black and my wife likes the mica blue or green).
    Any comments?

Sonny
    58K for a brand new '03 LX seems like a great deal (to me). I'd jump on it.

WARNING: If your wife isn't sure of the color (black)now.. you'll probably regret it as the years go by.... for the amount of cash you're spending you should stay away from any "lingering doubts" :)

Good Luck!
    If you are leasing, color is not important and take whatever you want. But if you are buying and want to sell the truck at some point the right color can mean thousands of dollars more on resale - particularly of this truck. The Blizzard white, gallactic gray, black and sand dollar will be the money colors that get you a better resale price later. The green and blue will likely be lesser value. You should buy whatever color you really like but keep in mind the resale value potential loss of certain colors. I'll never forget seeing a 2001 MB S500 in a showroom in late 2000 that was discounted around $7k (unheard of at such an early point in the model year) because it was an emerald green color no one wanted. I happen to think all the LX colors are good looking but again the "money" colors are always black (and most dark colors), white, silver/dark gray and a sand/beige color.

$58k is a great price. I really want what you seem to be getting in the LX plus the video DVD entertainment system.
  • cbs03cbs03 Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a '00 LX470 with 46,000 miles on it. They offered me a 5 year (from today's date)/ or a total of 100,000 mile warranty. The cost is $2,300. Should I do this ? My feeling is No since Lexus is very reliable. If I say No now, can I get an extended warranty later?

Thanks in advance!
    It seems you have a few months + a few thousand miles left on your bumper-to-bumper factory warranty... I'd make sure there were no major issues with the vehicle before that runs out. Maybe have a mechanic buddy or a reputable shop look it over for you? I love Lexus and all, but my suspicious nature would think the dealer mechanics would say all was fine; then 50K miles hit and.. clunk!

Some folks in here have great info on warranty prices, etc... also check they Toyota landcruiser & sequoia forums for some extended warranty input. Also there are some Landcruiser owners who know these babies inside and out and could suggest what problem areas (mechanical) to look for -- I mostly see them posting over on the Landcruiser forum. Check it out if you haven't already.

By the way..Nice truck! :) Congrats.
    Highly unlikely you'll have major problems with this truck but if you do they won't be cheap. It's added insurance. I'd go for it but if it was a Lexus certified vehicle doesn't that come with new bumper to bumper warranty coverage?