Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Thank God, at least your not from Marin !

:P
  • Options
    colohydrivercolohydriver Member Posts: 1
    I bought my new TCH two weeks ago tomorrow and just filled up my tank last night. I drive in the city and highways in about equal measure. My first tank would have taken me at least 575 miles, if I'd waited to fill up. I had a first tank mpg of 40.2 I can't get over how well this car does. Thanks to all who've shared their driving technique tips -- invaluable! I've always been a lead foot, but "playing against" the computer really changed things in a hurry. The car doesn't have the racey feel an Acura to be sure, but it is also a far cry from my Explorer and its 16.5 mpg. And everyone who rides with me can't believe how large it feels inside. As for the trunk, my husband got his wheeling (airline) padded golf bag into it with no trouble, and managed to also put in a full computer briefcase and a bag full of lacrosse gear. Very happy with this car to date and appreciate all the great advice.
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I've always been a lead foot, but "playing against" the computer really changed things in a hurry

All my friends laugh at me. My philosophy was you can't have enough horsepower. I drove 15 over the limit everywhere and was always in a hurry. I think the computer sends out subliminal messages as I now drive 5 under the limit, sometimes take the longer (slower) route to places and am feeling less stress and am enjoying it.

I smile though when I fill up.
  • Options
    willybillwillybill Member Posts: 83
    This was a LONG trip !... 4,885 miles, 12 states, 6 national parks.. All on 134.917 gallons of gasoline!.. That is an average of 36.2 and much of it through very high mountain ranges. US550 through western colorado, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Grand Junction, Jackson Hole then on to Yellowstone for 3 days then over two mountain ranges including the BIG HORNs much of which was over 9,000 feet !.. The car performed FLAWLESSLY through the most difficult climbs!.. Actually our best mileage days were in those mountains due to the large amount of coasting using the engine braking on steep downhill slopes.
    The total cost of the gasoline was $360.43 for 4,885 miles!.. The gas for our former car a HONDA Pilot SUV would have been twice that!.
    I couldn't have been more proud of our TCH !.. I even saw three others. One in Springfield, MO, one Jasper Pearl at Yellowstone and one Tan one on I80 in Illinois!. :)

I will post some pictures in a few days of some of the great places the TCH (and us) visited.
    For the rest of you owners who wondered about how well it could handle mountain passes, put it out of your mind. No Problem !.
    This is my long term TEST !.. I am completely thrilled with this car after 8,400 miles. I am due for my second oil change as the 'Maintenance required' indicator is on. Incidentally, I made sure I had EXACTLY 36 PSI in all four tires prior to the trip.
    Even did some OFF ROADING in the desert!.. Pictures to follow!.

One place I hesitated was in Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo, Texas. Down in the canyon, there were several flash flood aroyo's. One had about a foot of water running in it. I thought.. Hmm 650 volt battery in the trunk, I don't think I want to submerge the car in a foot of water. I chickened out and left the canyon to SUV's.

Please to give this fine report on the TCH.. The only Bad thing that happened was one small stone chip on the hood. We had no STORMS or anything to mess up our fine trip.
    :shades:
    WillyBill
  • Options
    primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    thank you WillyBill for the inspiring story...i am planning a trip from CA to South Dakota and was just a tiny bit concerned about the mountain passes...as i travel between CA and NV a couple times a month and it handles that pass just fine...but i know it's nothing compared to going through say Wyoming...i look forward to seeing the pictures of your trip...thank you once again
  • Options
    alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    I'd be interested in what options folks LOVE about their TCH. I plan to order one, and am interested if there is anything I should try to order. I do plan to go fully-loaded, and I may not have any choices.

I guess I can say, "I want the cargo net"

:-)
  • Options
    I'd be interested in what options folks LOVE about their TCH

I believe even the non-nav systems have bluetooth, but I'm not sure they have the phone book and speed dial that is on the NAV. When I bought the car we had an analog cell phone (still). It was a pleasant surprise when we upgraded to a Motorola RAZR and can now use the phone hands free with speed dial.

Leaving your key in your pocket (or purse) is retty cool as well. I would have never "ordered" this if it were an option but boy I miss it on my 4Runner. I'm always getting into it now (infrequently) and remembering I have to dig out my key!

If you're getting a loaded one (I recommend that if it fits financially)there is not a lot to add unless you want cosmetics. After financing mine I hate to start dropping $1000 here and there in cash. But if I could have financed these I would have added the SE spoiler package, fog lights (miss them, will get when available), probably tinted glass, and 5 spoke 17" wheels.

If you want a loaded one I would wait for it. Many are not satisfied with the aftermarket leather and with that you don't get the heated seats. Also some have even cut (urggg) holes in their roofs for aftermarket sunroofs(I think that one especially would depreciate a used car in a few years).

There actually is not a lot you really need to add to a loaded one.

By the way, the cargo net usually is just in the way.

I have a titanium one (to match the 4Runner) and like it because it stays clean looking. However I would have easily taken the red or blue as they are both great colors (but would make me work harder to keep them clean). Then again the white ones on the road really look good too. I guess there is not a "bad" color available.
  • Options
    newt5newt5 Member Posts: 15
    I bought my Camry Hybrid in June of this year and it drove fine up until about August. Since then the center console -- just in front of the gear shift -- squeaks, and more than just a little. I've had it in the shop 3 times. My service guy indicated that there is a "kit" from Toyota to solve the problem. Just got it back from the dealership for the 3rd time and the squeak continues, worse in some ways. And he's applied the "kit!"

I called and when he called back he indicated that they had just gotten a second Camry in for a 2nd time with the identical problem. This concerns me about Toyota's build quality. I've owned Toyotas, Subarus, and Nissans over the last 15 years and have never had a problem like this with a new car.

Has anyone else experienced this? I did a search and found others expressing problems with squeaks, but not this specific problem.

It's really too bad because I love the car otherwise but if the squeak can't be fixed, I'd likely trade the car in.

Newt
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    There is an easy fix for this problem which you can do yourself.

Go to Google and type this into the search box (include the quotes):

"squeaking in center console"

You will find a hybrid-related website and a huge thread with all the info you will need to repair this yourself.

good luck.
  • Options
    erniea1erniea1 Member Posts: 9
    I had a squeak in the centre console as well but after the mechanic applied oil to this area, the squeak has stopped and not come back. Now there is a bit of a rattle near the windshield on the RHS. I bought some anti-squeak oil and will apply it. The only other complaint is the centre console power plug that will not let go of my cell phone adapter. Other than these (I've had the car for about 6 months) I don't have any complaints. Toyota just needs to do a bit better on the interior workmanship and apply more isolation.
  • Options
    acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    How about Toyota USA sends a notice to all dealers to do the "GOOGLE THINGY" so that everyone can have their cars serviced properly at their service departments. NAAAH, not likely.
  • Options
    They have their own network, supposedly just for that purpose. But nothing can make them (the service managers and techs) read it, I suppose.... :sick:
  • Options
    georgia411georgia411 Member Posts: 18
    Hello there - I checked out the Camry Hybrid at two Atlanta-area dealerships today and am wondering what kind of deals/experiences others have had with dealers here. Just looking for the basics on the car, no fancy options (except leather). Is the NAV system worth the extra outlay? . Also looking at Lexus IS 250, which is a lot snazzy and more comfortable (but costs more to buy and maintain, plus less gas mileage). Thanks for the help and advice.
  • Options
    If going for the leather, most def get the NAV...it is awesome! And makes the car worth more $ when you go to sell it.

Check out the Prices Paid forrum for the best deals: tjoost, "Toyota Camry: Prices Paid & Buying Experience" #4341, 3 Nov 2006 1:40 pm
  • Options
    usnltusnlt Member Posts: 3
    I received delivery of my TCH in July and have been enjoying it since. Having said that, I do have some questions/concerns. My average is just under 35 mpg and I have noticed that at a full stop (typically at a stop light or in a parking lot) the car will go from using the battery to idling for no apparent reason. It happens in both park and drive, and the car doesn't need to be stopped for more than a few seconds for this to happen. And the car has a full battery charge also. I really believe this negatively affects my overall MPG. Incidentally, on longer trips on the interestate, I typically average just at 40 mpg, which seems counter- intuitive to me.
  • Options
    The Hybrids keep the battery charged at about 80%. This is required to have room for the regenerative breaking, etc. So, although it will say 100% it isn't.

Depending on the electrical load you are using, it will run the ICE more frequently. This is stuff like the heater, AC, and all the other possible electronics like the sound system.

Keep in mind it is a computer doing the calculations, deciding based upon load, when the ICE needs to run. Users have reported that around town you can minimize the ICE running by not using the heater or AC, and keeping the speed down below 40 MPH. Slow and steady starts from traffic lights also helps. There are many tips in other areas here about how you can do that. The Camry will not get the mileage the Prius does....
  • Options
    Hello again - I spend some time last night thinking about the Camry Hybrid I looked at here in Atlanta yesterday and had a few follow up questions:
    1. Keys - How many do you get when you purchase? The unit I drove had that push button start and I imiagine the keys are pretty expenive to replace
    2. NAV system - How are the maps updated? Do you have to go back and purchase disks to update the system and if so, how much do they cost?

As I said, I am also looking at the Lexus !S 250, which is more plush, but will probably cost me more in the end (higher cost to buy and maintain). Thanks for the advice
  • Options
    regal1945regal1945 Member Posts: 25
    Georgia411 writes:. Also looking at Lexus IS 250, which is a lot snazzy and more comfortable (but costs more to buy and maintain, plus less gas mileage). Thanks for the help and advice.
    Having owned 9 Lexus models and own one currently, they cost no more to maintain but cost more to buy, they are more plush on inside and the only ones that burn more fuel are the v-8 models. Never had to return one to the dealer for anything so where the h3%$ do you find it more to maintain. Where do you get your info???? :(
  • Options
    I wouldn't be too concerned with the map updates, as from year to year, how many new roads are made going to Atlanta from, say, Memphis? You can buy updated DVD's, as they come out, however.

Keys for most newer cars are chip-embedded, and yes, expensive. Do you often lose your car keys, and never find them again? They make nice key rings now, with an alarm that can be activated, to help you find them.
  • Options
    Never had to return one to the dealer for anything so where the h3%$ do you find it more to maintain.

Don't want to get in the middle of a Lexus maintenance argument on this TCH forum, but possibly his comment comes from misinformed info from people with experiences like me. I've owned American cars and NEVER had the 30,000, 60,000, etc maintenance performed. For some reason though, when I bought BMW's in the 80's and now other "foreign" names in the 2000's I have had these scheduled maintenance items completed. I believe it is because of the suspecision if I didn't the repairs could be costly. My experience is (other than with the old BMW's) that the TCH or other Toyota products are no more expensive to maintain assuming you follow mgfr guidelines on the competing models.
  • Options
    TCH keys are even less likely to be lost now that you can keep them in your pocket or purse and don't need to pull them out so often.
  • Options
    A much better point...

Thanks Gas Guy....that made me go "Duh, I knew that!" :P
  • Options
    usnltusnlt Member Posts: 3
    Right now I consider my mileage to be pretty poor at around 27 MPG. It has been as high as 35. I've adapted pretty well to driving the hybrid the way it is designed for optimum efficiency. Most of my trips are ~4 miles each way. My biggest concern is that the computer may be malfunctioning and causing the ICE to come one unnecessarily. It starts immediately when the car is started, and starts within 10 seconds of coming to a stop. The display shows a full battery, and I know that the battery should be at least the normal charge.
  • Options
    Well, many owners have posted here that the cold weather is causing that. Your very short trips indicate that the car isn't warmed-up for half the distance, causing your MPG to decline.....
  • Options
    Hello there - I am very close to buying a Camry Hybrid here in Atlanta, but now find there is a chance I might be transferred to Montreal next year. Can anyone comment on how these vehicles do in really cold weather (starting up, driving in snow, etc)? Should I avoid a battery-powered car in this artic-type (compared to Atlanta!) environment? Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!
  • Options
    There are several Canadian poster here and on GreenHybrid that are happy with their TCH.

I would be more concerned about the transfer of title and taxes involved and that the American TCH has different readouts, etc... If you plan to be there long term it might be harder to trade in or sell. However with the difference in currency value it may make sence to purhase now. I'd look into all this though before I bought.
  • Options
    lvwlvw Member Posts: 14
    Really too early to say about the TCH for sure. I live in Ontario, did the research and had no problem buying one. You might want to reassure yourself by checking out the Prius record with cold weather (I did, and was reassured...)

You should get snow tires for winter in Montreal, IMO. And, while I expect that the coolant mix is the same in all TCH's, wherever sold, you might want to confirm it's suitable for cold climates.
  • Options
    infin1tyinfin1ty Member Posts: 4
    I live in western PA and have recently noticed that my mileage has declined by several MPG. I attribute it to the extra fuel needed to warm the engine, and the short warm-up that I give it to defrost the windows. A plug-in block heater on a timer might help.
  • Options
    gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    I live in the Montreal area and drive into the city daily. There is a lot to be said, so I will try to stick to the main issues :

1. Forget about cold starting issues : MG-1 and the traction battery are so powerful compared to marginal classic starter designs that the car will always start.
    2. So far, we have had no night colder than 25°F.
    3. You do need winter tires. With climate changes, we have been getting less snowstorms but more freezing rain. Choose ice tires, like Nokian RSi, Blizzaks or G02+. I am part of the 2% of drivers who choose metals studs.
    4. We did get a bit of freezing rain and the increased wheelbase makes the 2007 Camry a very neutral car (little under/over-steer) on ice. VSC+Anti-slip on the hybrid work wonderfully, ABS is a tad slow re-applying brakes.
    5. The hybrid is great for one thing : the car heats up much faster than a V6. The electric kick in defrosting mode helps getting the job done amazingly quickly. Heated mirrors take away 1/8" of ice within 3 minutes.
    6. With its frequent stop signs and (so far) un-synchronized traffic lights, Montreal can increase fuel consumption by more than 50%, depending on your luck.
    7. The colder the engine, the longer it takes before you can "pulse and glide". My average was 7.8 liters/100km in the summer, is now 8.5+ with Gislaved Frosst5 tires, and I expect closer to 10 in february.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
  • Options
    splaund1splaund1 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have the part number for the engine block heater for the TCH? Thanks.
  • Options
    itsaraiditsaraid Member Posts: 2
    I have just been notified that my Camry Hybrid is down on the ground and I should be picking it up tommorow evening,
    Its fully loaded and I have questions

Has anyone been able to upgrade the HB11 Lightbulds to something similar to the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra?

Has anyone gotten the extra extended warranty? -0- deduct 7yr 100k mile bumper to bumper?

What is the real MPG?

Please anyone that can comment please email me directly at ItsaRaid@columbus.rr.com

Happy New Year to all with thanks!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Since we invest a lot to keep these Forums running for the benefit of ALL of our members, we prefer that both the questions & the answers stay here instead of exchanging privately by e-mail. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    Got my TCH just before New Years... have put over 3,000 miles on it. Love the car... hate the nav system, still using my Garmin... and I won't pay $700 to switch to Sirius.. installed my Stiletto for $60 - don't believe the XM/Sirius option... it either is or it's going to be expensive to switch over. I am in cold weather... no matter what I do I can't keep the average above 35. I have to travel 100 miles a day on both highway and back roads. But, I am still saving a fortune and the car is so comfortable and easy to drive.

Just found this site, it's great. The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is what ICE stands for. Thanks..
  • Options
    sbtattersbtatter Member Posts: 47
    ICE equals Internal Combustion Engine.
    Glad you're enjoying your new car!!
  • Options
    boulderblondeboulderblonde Member Posts: 4
    We picked up the new TCH on Valentine's Day in the middle of a heavy snowstorm! It ran beautifully and safely got us home.
    I sure agree with the DVD demo disc or tutorial idea--has anyone forwarded that to Toyota? We've been reading the books, trying to set up the navigation, but it's not simple. We're also trying to figure out which bluetooth enabled phone (for T-Mobile) is best or does it make a difference? Otherwise, we love the car If anyone has any advice, let me know.
  • Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    He may have gotten the impression it's more $ to maintain a Lexus by talking to Lexus owners who follow their dealer's, rather than the manual's, maintenance recommendations. I was told that I had to have my transmission oil changed every 15,000 or they wouldn't stamp my warranty book. I refused, and never returned. They prey on owner's desire to take the best care of their cars.
  • Options
    regal1945regal1945 Member Posts: 25
    That may be true, but I am on my tenth Lexus and have never had one back for a squeek, rattle or anything. They only see them when the licence plates come in and I drive by and they slap them on. So far my TCH has also been trouble free. I have owned a few BMW's and they get down rite nasty about bringing them in to rake you over for 3K each time, I also have marked bolts with paint and they were never touched for the 3K. By by Beemer lol
  • Options
    mrsjenn25mrsjenn25 Member Posts: 10
    I purchased my 07 fully loaded TCH last July... Throughout this winter my husband and I have found that while we LOVE the car and are proud of owning a hybrid, it is simply not really worth the super high monthly payment.

We're considering selling it soon, and I'm curious as to what anyone thinks we might be able to expect to get for it if we privately sell it? We paid around $35k for it, it has every option plus tint and full 3M chip guard. No dings.. perfect.

What do you guys think? I figured since they are still kind of hard to find and it is in perfect condition I may be able to get more than someone trying to sell their 6 mo. old used-new car.

Any ideas are appreciated :)
    Jenn :D
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Jenn, you should post your question here

Real World Trade-in Values
  • Options
    We paid around $35k for it

I'm guessing you "overpaid" for it originally. I don't see how a used one can sell for more than what some folks are getting new ones for. I wouldn't expect more than $26,000 (if you're lucky). Remember too purchasers lose the benefit of any tax credits still available. My understanding of the tax law is too that if you sell you'll have to give back some of the tax credit if you claimed it.

If you have high payments then I'll assume you must have financed most of it. Be sure to calculate what your true cost of trading down and getting a cheaper car will be. If you're owing more than the TCH will sell for, then that cost will have to be rolled in on your new payment and you may end up knocking only $50/mo off of a payment for a car that's a $10,000 MSRP lesser car.

You always lose when you trade the first year. You'll lose even more if you paid over MSRP.

Unless you're just unhappy with the car I doubt that "trading down" will help you much without adding a lot of downpayment to the new loan. (Unless you're trading down to say a $15,000 Corola or similarly priced vehicle)
  • Options
    stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    I just picked up my new silver Camry Hybrid last Saturday (I got it full loaded). I probably didn't get the best possible price ($300 off of MSRP, with free mud guards and all-season floor mats thrown in for free), but this dealer has always been great to me and he didn't charge a doc fee either. He also sold the 7-year, 100K Toyota warranty to me for $990, which matches the price of that other dealer several people have mentioned on here.

I was worried that I would feel the car was kind of "cheap" on the inside compared to a Lexus. But after owning the car for a few days, I don't feel that way at all. This is by far the most luxurious car I have ever driven (including an Acura I owned a few years ago). The seats are very comfortable, the interior is very quiet, the car feels heavy and stable (I prefer that feel), and the performance is quite good (My previous car was a 240 HP Accord EX-L). Bluetooth works perfectly for me with my Motorola ROKR E1 phone......I was worried about that after reading some complaints on here, but the sound quality is excellent on both ends. I haven't used the navigation system much yet, but it seems fine so far. I will probably only use that on trips outside of town.

I have quickly learned how I have to drive in order to get in the mid 30's, and that's without reading any of the tips in various forums online. I have good luck quickly getting up to the speed I want to be at, and then just maintaining that speed most of the time.

I will probably have more comments & questions later, but so far I'm 100% happy with my purchase!
  • Options
    jbriskojbrisko Member Posts: 9
    I picked my TCH 4 days ago and have driven 300 miles so far .MPG display shows just 31.7 for city driving and 32 for highway. I already feel that I made a wrong decision of buying a camry hybrid. That is because I have achieved good gas mileage with all my cars before this and feel frustrated because of the disparity between standard and practical mileage.Any comments or suggestions?
  • Options
    choatewardchoateward Member Posts: 4
    My advice would be not to get frustrated with the first tank, particularly if the weather's been cold where you're driving. I saw similar MPG for my first tank (32), but I'm up to 36 on my second, with the biggest changes being my better understanding of how to "pump and glide" and warmer weather.

You've found a good site with lots of advice...look to the "Tips and Tricks" section, or the "Real World MPG" for lots more on what to expect. The consensus seems to be that 32-33 is easily achievable without any change in driving habits, 36-38 can be achieved if you adjust to how the hybrid wants to be driven (pump and glide, etc), and 40+ can be had with the right commute and more attention to small details. The only people who might really be disappointed are those who primarily drive many short trips, which doesn't give the ICE time to properly warm up, costing MPG.

Good luck, and I hope your mileage improves as mine has.
  • Options
    jbriskojbrisko Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the good advice.Happy to find best site for real world hybrid information sharing.
  • Options
    abacusabacus Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a TCH, just started my second tank. Wasn't much impressed with the MPG on my daily commute to work. Weather warmed up a bit this weekend, got 45mpg to the airport and 43mpg coming back (with a stop at the mall). But I was still getting 25ish mpg on commute to work. This morning I was pleased to discover my ICE shutting down after a much briefer time resulting in getting 36/37mpg to and from work - but I don't think it is because of the slightly warmer weather.

The difference was, believe it or not, turning off my heater (seat heater had no negative impact). Tested theory several times, found with heater on "auto" ICE stayed on at stop signs but if I turned the heater off the ICE would turn off.

If I drove longer with heater on, eventually the ICE starts to turn off, but on a short commute (20 min) I wasn't getting much benefit.

My plan for maximizing MPG is seat heater on, main heater off (until I have a chance to test heater in manual mode more thoroughly).

Hope that helps some other new owner.
  • Options
    stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    Thanks for the advice on the heater. Fortunately it's getting warmer where I live (Indiana), so I wouldn't need it much longer anyway. I wonder what effect the AC has on it though?
  • Options
    Let me give you some info based on owning my TCH in both hot and cold weather this year.

In the hot months, I averaged about 36.9 MPG
    In the cold months, I averaged about 34.97 MPG

So with rounding, that's about 2 MPG better in the hot months with the A/C running.

Here's why the cold and the heater has a more detrimental effect than the A/C does:

In cold weather, all cars do worse in the mileage department. This is because until the engine is warmed up to optimum operating temperatures, the car is not making maximum efficient use of the fuel.

The cold weather effect is even worse on a Hybrid, because until the engine reaches optimum temps, the HSD (or in the case of Honda the IMA) system is not fully engaged. Once the car is warmed up, the HSD system is fully activated and will assist the gas engine in making more effective use of the fuel and driving the MPG up.

In addition, many times the heater is using the air compressor - which every car owner knows causes the car to use more fuel.

So in the wintertime you have two enemies - cold weather AND use of the heater (thus the compressor).

In the summer, the only enemy is the compressor. The HSD system is effective much sooner after the start of the drive because the engine warms up faster.

Good Luck and Happy TCHing !!
  • Options
    jvomerojvomero Member Posts: 1
    Hi:
    I currently own an 01 Camry XLE and am contemplating the Camry Hybrid. I live in Phoenix, AZ and would like to know how the engine handles the stress of the AC on a hot summer day (~ 115 degrees.) How long does it take to reach the coolest setting?
    Thank you.
    JV
  • Options
    There is NO problems at ALL with the Camry Hybrid air conditioner in Phoenix.

I owned mine last year from June 2nd forward, and it always got cold very quickly and the blower is strong and the temps in the car were bearable almost immediately.

Same as every Toyota I have ever owned - a strong, cold A/C.

One caveat: I do have Huber Optik window tint, some of the best ceramic-based tint in the world, so that DOES help stop some of the heat before it has a chance to enter the car.