Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    For tires, take a look at Tire Rack, lots of reviews, owner feedback, etc, should be lots for Camry. As for the speedometer - did you also observe an odometer error? It can be correct even with a speedometer error.
  • Options
    loves2readloves2read Member Posts: 48
    if you have an ODOMETER that is not clocking mileage correctly, is that not a problem when you go to resell--because you have to sign a statement that purports the "actual" mileage and saying that you have not tampered with the reading...
    knowing that it is not accurately recording the miles traveled and signing to something different is something that could come back to bite you...
  • Options
    talmy1talmy1 Member Posts: 55
    As strange as it might sound, there is actually a United Nations requirement that speedometers read at least 3mph high. So yours at 4mph high is actually very close to right on. This isn't the case for the odometer, which should be accurate even with the funky speedometer requirement.

Look up "speedometer" on Wikipedia to read how confusing this all is.
  • Options
    jcihakjcihak Member Posts: 60
    If you continue to read the Wiki, you will find that the United States requirement is a maximum 5% error. 4mph error is unacceptable at normal speeds. The UN agreement does not apply to the US, nor does it require that speedometers be calibrated 3mph high. The UN agreement requires the speedometer be calibrated within a -0/+4kph band.
  • Options
    I actually decided to look up the UN resolution, which is at:

http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/39rv1e.pdf

Just because it doesn't apply in the US doesn't mean that an international manufacturer won't adopt it. Indeed it doesn't say 3mph high, but says that the error must be 0 ≤ (V1 - V2) ≤ 0.1 V2 + 4 km/h where V1 is the displayed speed and V2 is the actual speed, so the error can be -0 to 4kph+10%.

The US Federal standard is not referenced in the Wikipedia article, so I can't verify it. The article states "Modern speedometers are said to be accurate within 5% but as this is legislated accuracy, this may not be entirely correct." and why isn't "legislated accuracy" "entirely correct"? Also I doubt that the federal law would allow for speedometers to read low. That would cause problems for (speeding) law enforcement.

So for the OP's case of 30mph reading 34, that would be 10% plus 1mph which is less than 4km/h, so it would be within spec.

I've found in the cars I've owned that the speedometer always reads high, but the odometer is quite accurate, usually within 1% (<0.1 mile measured over 10 miles).
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I have some earlier detailed postings discussing the error with the odometer and speedometer (at least on the 2007 models).

I started my third set of tires at 49,000 miles. The first two sets were Bridgestones (loud and did not last 25,000 miles)
  • Options
    miser_manmiser_man Member Posts: 5
    Picked up my 09 TCH last Saturday, and have put my first 1,000 miles on it already. Love this car. Quiet, roomy, comfortable, and fuel efficient as heck. I have already beat the dealer posted mileage of 50 mpg (imperial gallons in Canada, so the number looks really big)

I got rrd of my 04 4WD Tundra cause it was getting ridiculous: $600 -800 per month in gas. I loved the big truck, but I could no longer stomach the mileage, so when the lease was up it went back. Couldn't be happier - a friend bought the new VW Jetta the week before and I drove it - nice car, but I kept looking at the mpg readout of 7.9 l/100 km (36 mpg) and knew I was going to beat that by a bunch. So far I am averaging 5.6 l/100km (51 mpg) and I know I am going to get better than that as I learn the sweet spot. Its mostly flat where I live, and I can run in EV for the last 5km home each day. I also do a fair amout of stop 'n go on the highway; another sweet spot for the TCH.

I walked into Burlington Toyota (in Ontario) and got a fleet price (about $2,200 off MSRP). I had to wait for 2 weeks until it was built but they extended my lease for free so it didn't inconvenience me. Car came in 3 days early, and they had it prepped in under 2 hours. fabulous experience at the dealer; would recommend them to anyone in the area.
  • Options
    barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    I have an 09 TCH and love it. Got it for $100 over invoice, but the owner is a neighbor of mine and he helped a lot. Mileage on the first tank was 36+. Then Florida mandated the use of 10% ethanol gas which immediately caused a 2 MPG drop. I now work hard to get 35 MPG. Another factor: Had a program at my Rotary club given by an engineer from the petroleum industry. He says that the best gas is in the northeast and the Rockies. Cold weather, high altitudes etc require good gas. The absolute worst gas is here in Florida as it is flat, warm and cars will run on almost anything. Ergo, I just don't get the MPG that some of you do. It looks like 35+ is about all I can expect.

On the bright side, I sold my Acura MDX for enough to buy the 09 TCH and have enough left over to drive it for 3+ years at $4 per gallon of gas.

Jack H.
  • Options
    On the bright side, I sold my Acura MDX for enough to buy the 09 TCH and have enough left over to drive it for 3+ years at $4 per gallon of gas.

All emotions aside, that's a great personal financial decision. Congrats for making that decision, which is huge for some folks.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter with a large financial magazine would like to speak with hybrid owners and their experiences. If you are a hybrid owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Wednesday, August 6th.
  • Options
    lockleerlockleer Member Posts: 1
    I've seen a few items above regarding the speedometer of the camry reading high. I just purchased this car about two weeks ago... I'm inding approximately +5 mph on mne and I hate it.

My other cars (typically half the price) are right on... Now.. I have to get in my new car and try to remember how fast I'm really going. When I bought this car nobody said there would be math :-)

I'm just not happy... Other than that... It's a great ride.
  • Options
    Consider it a factor of safety against speeding. Sorta like setting your clock 5 minutes fast so you're never late ;)
  • Options
    siestakeyjimmysiestakeyjimmy Member Posts: 3
    The more I learn about this car, the more I&#146;m blown away by it! (I totally agree with virtually all the great comments everyone&#146;s making, so I&#146;ll add some different insight).

I initially wanted a Prius &#150; rented 3 different ones and could easily get 54-56 MPG in town. (Note: hot, flat Florida, with 5 minute red lights, is a Hybrid&#146;s Heaven)! Hated to hit the freeway where the Prius&#146;s MPG plummeted to 39-41 MPG at 75+ mph. But the Prius is narrow, the dash is black and bakes in the sun, and the side windows are &#147;too high&#148; and let in too much sun for me. (Still - the Prius is a marvel!). Our Sarasota dealer wanted a 6k premium for a new Prius.

I tried a used 07 TCH (24k miles, 27k price), and found it wider, quieter, smoother, and much more attractive looking. Since my local dealer wanted 3k extra for a new TCH, I bought a new 09 at a dealer in the next town for no premium (Sticker Price) (After a 4 week wait). I absolutely love it!

I initially liked the "B" and used it at every Red Light to save on my brakes (and keep "brake dust" from dirtying my front alloy wheels...but then read a great forum item teaching me that I was wasting that energy and am better off lightly using the brakes to regenerate!

I get from 37-41 mpg around town, and (I&#146;ll bet) almost the same as a Prius on the highway (38-39 MPG at 75+ mph). I can get 50mpg on the highway or more if I'm willing to drive slow enough. It&#146;s got a many &#147;sweet spots&#148;, like set cruise control at 40mph, then tap down to 39mph and wait, it lapses into a "warp" mode getting 55-60MPG with the engine running!

Last thoughts &#150; I&#146;d like it to display the percentage of the &#147;free&#148; mileage I&#146;m getting. (My guess is out of every 100 miles I drive around town; maybe 20 miles are coasting or electric, with the gas engine off). And considering that my gas engine is not running during all of (our Florida) 5 minute Red lights, it follows that when my odometer says 100,000 miles, my engine may really only have 75,000 actual miles on it!
  • Options
    bez28bez28 Member Posts: 6
    I just put a deposit on an '09 TCH in Montana (c/w Leather, Convenience Pkg, and Upgrade Pkg - no NAV or Sunroof - for $1500.00 below MSRP) but I live in Canada and plan to import it back here. Unfortunately, I will need to make 1 small modification in order to import it and this is where I am hoping you TCH owners might be able to help.

The Daytime Running Lights on the TCH sold in the US comes with an "off" switch, whereas in Canada the DRL are required by law to be on all the time (while the car is running) and can not be turned off. Does anyone know how to disable the "off" switch?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    jeffoisjeffois Member Posts: 5
    AFAIK, if you keep the switch for the headlights set to "Auto," your running lights will stay on all the time. I'm pretty sure that's how it works on my 2007 TCH.
  • Options
    sttkailuasttkailua Member Posts: 12
    Well, I have driven my new Hybrid for a month now!
    Great car! Getting 40+ MPG doing 80/20 freeway/city.

The technology of the electric/gas drivetrain is amazing!
    Smooth transition of the combo switching off & on.

You really have to test drive or own one to understand
    why Hybrid owners are so excited and pleased with
    their vehicle!
  • Options
    karnesjmkarnesjm Member Posts: 15
    We were not going to purchase a replacement for our '02 Honda Odyssey Van for another 3 years, but it was totalled in a severe accident. We were on a 4 month wait list for a mid-optioned Prius. Due to safety concerns (RE: Ody accident) with the Prius, we purchased a base '09 TCH (Jim Barkely Toyota in Asheville, NC at $300 under MSRP-NO "adders", doc fees or packages). The base TCH was a $1,400 more than the Prius we were waitng on. The first tank of interstate driving back home at 65 MPH was 41 MPG. We now have over 3K miles and average 38 MPG in mixed cycle driving. This is an increase of 21 MPG over the van (17 MPG in same mixed cycle). Car & Driver just picked the TCH as #1 family sedan (yes, over the Prius too) to have during high gas prices. Reading the article carefully, the TCH has better city MPG than all cars they have tested but the Prius.
  • Options
    bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    Just purchased a new TCH 09. The dealer is offering an extended Service Agreement (Gold Plan) up to 100,000 miles/7years for $1150. MSRP is $1450.
    Is it worth it? many thanks.
  • Options
    Up to you regarding worth. It's a major money maker for them, with no value for the hybrid aspect (already has 100k guarantee). Camry's are very reliable. I never buy these service agreements. Put that money in a money market, use it for repairs, bet most of it will be there when you sell.
  • Options
    Extended service or warranty? A year ago I would have said it's a rip off. However I just checked my records and I'm at 60,000+ miles and following the book on maintenance and so far I'm at close to $1300 on scheduled maintenance. It's a time value of money issue for you. I think it's better to pay as you go, but if you're financing it, that's about the same thing anyway. If you plan to keep the car for 100,000 miles it may be a wash. If you get rid of it early you wasted money.

Also, are you one that typically uses the dealer for service? And do you usually do the larger 15,000 / 30,000 / 45,000 / 60,000 services?

On all my domestic cars I seldom do these services. I guess the only reason I started doing them on the foreign cars was the mental thing with them having longer warranties and I got in the habbit of keeping up with the recommended services.

The dealer oil services are a hassle compared to stopping at a Jiffy Lube or similar place at your convenience.

My main reason with going to the dealer though is they offered free tires for life if I service with them. I'm on my second set of replacement tires at their cost right now included in my $1300 so I feel like I've gotten a bargain.

I have a 4Runner as a company vehicle and am only changing the oil and don't plan on doing the large services.

If this is for an extended warranty, it's all about peace of mind. On average it won't be worth it, but to the infrequent people that have warranty claims on the Nav, the power equipment or other things not powertrain related it may be worth while. Paying a little bit each month to know that a year or two down the road you won't have a large repair bill to worry about might offer some comfort to some. I didn't get it and have had no problems with my TCH.
  • Options
    bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the feedback. It's actually a warranty, but they call it an extended service agreement.
    I went back to Consumer Reports April )* car issue. They said the only time to buy one is with unreliable cars. Toyota owners of such contract shave used them only 10% of the time (#2 after Lexus).
    My only thought on this was the fact that it is a hybrid. But CR just reported the TCH as one of the most reliable cars being sold.
  • Options
    I asked because a lot of people here actually purchase an extended "service" agreement, and it's for maintenance, not a warranty.

I'm waiting on a call right now to price out a trade for my TCH with 61,000 miles for a new one.
  • Options
    kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Hey, Bud. Got one. ;)

Great job in keeping this thread alive. Listen to this man, he knows whereof he speaks.

The reason for the terminology of 'Extended Service Contract' as opposed to 'Extended Warranty' is a legal nuance in that only the original manufacturer can offer a warranty. The ESC that's offered by TFS or other company is an insurance policy against repairs/failures within the specified milage/time frame.
  • Options
    nighshftnighshft Member Posts: 3
    Wish I read this posting before I signed up to get it, but I know I'll sleep better knowing I have it - I typically keep my cars 100K plus. will be picking up my new TCH on sunday -got it fully loaded, top options,side moldings etc... (except for the added camry floor mats - for 31,600 on Long Island, NY -(think I did good on the price waitied 2 months for it) did it over the phone , went and saw the car today....can't wait to add a report on my mileage..
  • Options
    You should still be able to cancel the "extra" agreements.
  • Options
    CharlieCamry07CharlieCamry07 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Camry hybrid with 34,000 miles. I have never noticed fumes until yesterday when three of us drove it 13 hours with the trunk very full including blankets and coats that were crammed in to every nook and space of the trunk. When we reached our destination all three of us had light headed, dizzy, odd taste, and headache symptoms. After the car was outside in cold weather overnight it still had a strange odor when we used it this morning. We have taken long trips before without noticing fumes and symptoms. The only difference was having the trunk completely full. Does this restrict some kind of ventilation and allow battery fumes into the cabin?
  • Options
    There is of course the vent (with fan) from the cabin into the battery. There is nothing from the battery to the trunk. But I wonder if your air control was set for recirculate rather than fresh air? I always like it in fresh but the system seems to set recirculate on occasion and then never sets it back. 13 hours with recirculate could certainly cause ills.
  • Options
    myrosetobe2myrosetobe2 Member Posts: 1
    Did you have items covering the vents near the rear window? I was told not to block this area, as it is used to keep the hybrid battery ventilated. If you had clothes or other items covering the vents, it might have caused something to overheat and release fumes.
  • Options
    orly1orly1 Member Posts: 19
    dear pf_flyer,

have not read all 530 posts, but do ANY cross reference the other topic you host "TCH, MPG Real World Numbers". :surprise:

Not every post there suggest real Cost/Benefit to owning TCH - especially if owner is having consistently LOW MPG tank averages.

the other thread is a little more balanced with people reporting disappointing MPG numbers, with most responses "blame the driver, driving condition". NOT the TCH or Yota for lack of response to these claims.

you host other thread also, how about some help? (post #828)

QUESTION: How can 10 MPG below EPA estimate be justified by Yota?
    What should one do when Yota dealer, customer service say "car working according to expectations", yet absolutely not acceptable MPG? :confuse:

most folks on the other thread (with my problem) seem to have just given up and accepted 29K cost with little hope of return on investment.

although no one has posted here recently, reading this thread would give a potential buyer of the TCH VERY UNREALISTIC EXPECTATIONS.

please cross reference the two topics.

thanks,
  • Options
    quixotic1quixotic1 Member Posts: 23
    My TCH is a 2007 with 40k miles.

I can say that I get around 36 mpg. This is a combo of city/hwy.
    I live in South Florida. I used to get 39 to 40 until thay added ethanol to the gas here. I suspect that there are a combination of issues in your case.
    1. Weather. 2. Length/type of trip. 3. Ethanol in your gas.

Try changing your brand of gas and having your injectors cleaned. This may help.

Good luck!
  • Options
    thank you quixotic1,

just took TCH to dealer - they said filter clean. wouldn't it turn up on computer if injectors need cleaning?

i would be really happy with just EPA estimate. 26/28 are MY numbers since purchase in june 08. not acceptable.
  • Options
    Future Replies: Please try to click on green orly1 and read previous posts before suggesting "new tip"

are these forums in Toyota's pocket? Can anyone direct me to a single post where someone has shared this MPG issue and Toyota successfully resolved it?

where are the Edmund's HOST's? Do they just set up a topic then vanish? what is their role here? :confuse:
  • Options
    larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    Toyota customer service:

Phone: 800-331-4331
    Fax: 310-468-7814
    Mon - Fri, 5:00 am - 6:00 pm PST
    Sat, 7:00 am - 4:00 pm PST

This page has a breakdown of things that might be helpful to you:

Toyota Customer Service: Tips for Getting Your Problem Solved
  • Options
    oops,

thanks for article. made one mistake from article, called Toyota regional customer service rep first, however, don't believe service rep knew at which dealership i had service check.

i was polite, but Yota customer service said right out of the gate, if dealer computer check comes up "clean", there is NO NEXT STEP.

in my nature to compliment first, ask next, compliment again (sandwich like), so was polite to local mechanic at dealership.

car came up "clean", guy told me "everything working according to expectations" nothing they can do.

went to dealership closest to home. my car was bought at another dealership. article suggests talk to GM. should i contact GM where purchased car? Does it matter?

whole family has been loyal to Toyota for years, that's why disappointed.

yours truly,

Future Replies: Please try to click on green orly1 and read previous posts before suggesting "new tip"
  • Options
    Well, if you want anything done, you are going to have to REFUSE TO ACCEPT the "No Next Step" comment and keep moving up the chain.

Good luck.
  • Options
    gmyatkogmyatko Member Posts: 8
    Boy, I sure don't understand your poor gas mileage. I will tell you that I own an '07 Camry and my friend owns an '07 Prius. I get better mileage than he does, because he just does not pay attention to SLIGHTLY changing his driving habits.
    In my 5.5 mile commute to and from work, depending on how I drive, I can get less than 25 MPG if I drive like I used to, or regularly get 36 to 40 mpg, depending on how well I get the lights. On purpose, I've already driven an entire tankful my old way vs. my new way, and I've also noticed about the same mileage.
    I keep my little bar graph going, and keep it above 35mpg but it's not unusual for me to keep it over 40 mpg on 20 mile trips on the flat highway out here in Phoenix. And I drive at or above the speed limit always. I do notice that at 75+, my mileage drops significantly, and if I have my bike rack on the back w/ 2 bikes, I also only get around 32 mpg on the highway. Did you check for a rubbing brake? Or a misalignment?
  • Options
    thanks for reply,

RE: Did you check for a rubbing brake? Or a misalignment?

just took to dealer, says all o.k. would not know how to check those things on my own.

i drive using all the tricks i know (and any new suggested), bought the car for gas saving. would probably be a "hypermiler" myself is car would co-operate

thanks for reply

• Options
    thank you larsb,

have checked carspace email, no message yet. just a request to be friends.

haven't you noticed, i AM persistent, i'm not going to give up easily,
    however i may not always be as assertive as i would like because i am afraid i may go the other way and "loose my cool" on these folks.

• Options
    Orly1, I cannot get a CarSpace e-mail to go to you.

I get some stupid error saying "Outgoing messages are limited to one every 600."

600 what? It makes no sense.

Go to this blog and get the info:

Blahg Blahg Blahg
  • Options
    WOW! :shades:

Crazy Brilliant! You set up a Blog "dfakjhf afkac kkf" for ONE! such mad skills.
    especially since HOST is MIA ;)

got your "test" email. this CarSpace PM thing will be helpful if you are willing to accept CarSpace emails.

it's hard for me to NOT go off on tangents.

1) still have to look up your tube video
    2) which GM should i call (purchase or closest)
    3) tundra article helpful; not alone
    4) humble, have not ruled out "user error" :blush:

can PM funny metaphor on user error.

thanks again for reply
  • Options
    2) which GM should i call (purchase or closest)

I'd say start with the one from the dealer who sold you the car. If he cannot help you, then ask HIM where to go next, and explain in no uncertain terms that you are NOT going to stop until you have an answer as to why your car performs so poorly.

Just be both exceedingly polite and exceedingly stubborn.
  • Options
    dear pf_flyer,

your request to "be my friend" has disappeared from my carspace mail box.

i have some unanswered questions for you, what is your role as HOST? why have you not responded to any of my posts?

can i no longer send you messages through carspace mail box?

you seem to have a practical understanding what to expect when dealing with toyota, so why not chime in on my issue?

is not a performance issue which is/has cost money slightly more important that "non-safety related noises"?

yours truly.

orly 1
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Click on my username and you can email me directly.
  • Options
    akt1000akt1000 Member Posts: 15
    Are the US regions other than Washington getting any 2010 Camry Hybrid? I haven't seen any 2010 Camry Hybrid in our area (at dealers or their web sites) even though they were supposed to be out 6 months back. Still see only the 2009 models. Even the Toyota web site does not allow me to build the 2010 Camry Hybrid!
  • Options
    buckeye1buckeye1 Member Posts: 41
    Here in Orange County, CA, tch has been in dealerships for over 2 weeks. Took test drive in one a few days ago and was pleasantly pleased. Toyota dealer in San Juan Capistrano had two on lot 3 days ago, claiming they were "the latest shipment." Got call from Anaheim, CA dealer who said he has a gray metallic CH in stock. My opinion: tch will increase its presence here in SoCal. Btw, 2 dealerships claimed they will "work with the price" in that age-old attempt to get business. The 2010 CH is a very nice car. It shows and drives very well.
  • Options
    greenutgreenut Member Posts: 2
    orly1,

Is your ECONOMY mode turned on??

I cannot tell you how many TCH owners do not know about this feature in thier cars!!

If you do not activate this feature, you will get less-than-expected mpg!

I bet this is your problem.

I own a 2007 TCH with 70,000 trouble-free miles, and avrerage 38-40 mpg. My highest mpg was 60 (really!) I always have the ECONOMY mode turned on.

I hope this helps!
  • Options
    jonesy17jonesy17 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new 2010 TCH fully loaded from Tustin Toyota in Orange County, CA on Oct 7th. I went through the Costco car buying program and got really good pricing. I love the car. My first new car purchase ever, and first hybrid. I drive 80 miles a day for work and got 550 miles on my first tank of gas with a 39.5 mpg. That was just driving the car like I would any other car, and not using fancy hybrid driving techniques. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.
  • Options
    Sounds great...mind telling us the deal you got?
  • Options
    stalnakerstalnaker Member Posts: 72
    You had 60 mpg for an entire tank? Did you go downhill continuously for 600 miles? That's really impossible for this car. That would be an incredible feat even in a Prius.

I own a 2007 Camry Hybrid and my wife has a 2008 Camry Hybrid. The best mileage either of us has ever had for a full tank (calculated) was 41 mpg, and that was in perfect weather under almost ideal driving conditions, using all of the tricks that you can take advantage of with this car. Most of the time we both average around 36-38 mpg in nice weather, much lower in the winter.
  • Options
    gmyatkogmyatko Member Posts: 8
    I will bet you my Hybrid that you can't get 60 mpg in your car for 2 full gas tanks. I've already averaged 46, but I drove downhill the entire time from Flagstaff to Phoenix. Stop exaggerating so much. Be realistic. If you average 35 to 38 and drive like a normal human being, not being in everyone's way, going 15 mph below the speed limit, you've done good. Considering my Hyundai Accent got a real 28 mpg, I feel good about my 36 mpg Camry.