Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I test drove a 1972 Toyota Cressida (which listed for $27000 in 1972) and it had the memory mirror and seat option.

I assume you meant $2700?
  • kc_rustykc_rusty Member Posts: 32
    No - you read it correct the first time - $27,000 -- Toyota doesn't import the Cressada anymore - but it was their top of the line . My daughter needed a car in 1997 or 8 and this unit still had the original window sticker with it. Today I believe its called the Crown line, which isn't imported. I know I'm old but I remember this one - but it might have been an 79 not an 72
    No - you read it correct the first time - $27,000

Then perhaps the 1972 was incorrect. I could have bought a Rolls for that price back then.
  • mharris813mharris813 Member Posts: 20
    We picked up our Barcelona Red TCH, (candy apple, I call it) on July 13th. I have loved it from day one.

I did have to re-read to reassure myself that the stutter off the start was in fact a nature of the beast, but other than that... it is awesome!

I have always know the reasons that people get the mileage that they do, jackrabbit starts, over-accelleration, and racing... but having that instant guage showing mpg is awesome. Even my teenagers took to the concept immediately.

We have the NAV system, and I also find the trip computer screen to be "entertainment". We strive to collect little regenerative cars, and an Excellent on the ECO screen when we shut down. It is addictive. My husband says it sounds like a video game.

We just came back from a short weekend to the lake, and were pleased to get 36.7mpg with HIM driving, his "almost normal" habits. His old '99 Camry was getting 24-26 mpg on its better days, so this is a real thrill to get much better than the old TC.

We are truly in love with the NAV system. I could not imagine now, not having it. We went to look at a home for sale when we got home last night 45 miles away, and with not knowing the area, typed in the address. The 3 routes option is nice, letting us choose the way we'd like to go, and getting us there without incident. Coming back, the NAV, (I call her Lucy...) sent us on a road we'd never heard of, and turned out to be a great route, and avoided heavy traffic on the road we would have chosen otherwise.

We also love the "hacking" option allowing us to enter addresses while driving, (passenger, of course)... THIS is a great thing to know!

I do wish that the steering controls for the stereo volume and channel change were up and down, not left to right... hard to do for smaller hands. Also, I truly wish that memory seats and mirrors were included. This is a big oversight. One final option, that should be included... ACTUAL satellite receiver. Not just OPTIONAL... this is crummy to advertise it, but not included the receiver, or at the very LEAST, the factory colored ANTENNAE!!!!!

Oh, and watch out... you'll be doing 80mph before you realize, so on the performance side... it will get ya there... but for racing off the line... this is not the car.

Overall....I LOVE MY TCH!!! :blush:
  • primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    the tinting of the windows has helped quite a bit with keeping the vehicle from getting so hot...b4 tinting...when i openned the doors, i could see the heatwaves coming out of the car...nice...and it does help with the a/c not having to work as hard for as long...i am thinking about getting a auto solar fan and see if what they claim is true...let me know if you have any other questions about the tinting
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    PRIMO2...did you tint over the thrid brake light in the rear window? I am undecided if i want to tint over it, or leave the smallpart where the 3rd brake light shines thru the glass un-tinted. Getting mine tinted tomorrow Tuesday

Comments PRO OR CON anyone?
  • maxamiga1maxamiga1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for posts on performances. That's pretty good performances that you guys enjoy. I personally like the CVT transmission.

For a quick comparison, if you'd divide the weight by the power:

Prius 18+ lbs/hp 55-60mpg for $23k+
    TCH 20+ lbs/hp 40mpg for $27+k
    Rx400h 15+ lbs/hp 28-30mpg for a lot more dough...

It's no wonder they try to sell the Lexus as a performance car, and the Prius as the economy car. The TCH fits in the middle.

Safe Driving!
    hey Jbollt...i did tint over the third brake light...i think it looks good...and i have been told it looks good...i went with the dark tint for the rear/back windows...and did medium on the driver/passenger windows...i think i may have gone with the light for the front...but it still looks good with the medium...enjoy
    I just read in the owners manual about a possible negative effect on the nav system after window tinting.

Can anyone address this?

Has anyone tinted their windows and had negative effect on the GPS???

Have an appointment to get mine tinted today, so quick responses would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I posted an answer at the pther place you posted this question:

pf_flyer, "Toyota Camry Hybrid Accessories & Modifications" #21, 25 Jul 2006 7:52 am
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    Well I have a full 3 post review on greenhybrid.com

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/small-initial-review-of-my-tch.8767.html

But the summary is as follows:

I come for basically 14 years of V6 cars latest 4 being I30, I35, 04 TL and 06TL. Finally had it with gas prices and consumption. Decided to get a TCH, have had it 4 days now with about 400 miles on it and while Toyota has some small things they really should address, the car is very good. It is no sport sedan, but it performs as good or better as anything in its class and gets in the mid 30's MPG. The car is stone quiet under all but the heaviest accelerations and rides very smooth. It is a tad choppy over some bumps, but that may be all the extra weight being carried in the truck. The JBL sound system is superb, deep rich sound that has power throughout the volume range.

My pet peeves are around some short cuts they took. They should do the following:

- Dump fold down rear seat and place batteries against back seat. This would gain back trunk space and give the body some much needed regidity

- Work on the ergonomics of the dash. The Radio tuning knob is a far reach while other less used knobs as easier to get too. The dash dimmer does not dim the radio enough and dims the dash even when the lights are not on. I want max dash brightness without lights and dim lights and radio lights at night with lights on. This is the first car I've had that acts this [non-permissible content removed] backwards way.

- Fix the lame LCD characters in the Radio, the old style dark on silver where I can basically still see the unused characters and parts is old and lame. And what is this 10 character limit, where have Toyota engineers been last few years?

- Add memory seats, auto up/down driver window

- Add HID, people that are concerned about saving gas are generally saftey focused as well and HIDs make for safer driving.

- Add or make available fog/driving lights, those lame knocks scream that the car is a [non-permissible content removed], not the LE+ that it is.

- Center armrest should be a 2 tiered compartments instead of that lame insert that blocks getting at my stuff anyway!

- Ditch the temp buttons on the steering wheel and my god do we need so many buttons on it any way. Take a clue fomr Acura, 2 buttons for phone, not 3. And make the buttons more responsive and tactile they feel cheap and loose.

- The interior feels loose and not secure, maybe it is year 1 thing, but the cabin has too much flex and looseness.

- The plastic interior door pulls are in an awkward plcae and feel like low grade cheapo plastic, not what I expect from Toyota.
  • bnewinsbnewins Member Posts: 25
    Keith thanks for your review. I am happy with the TCH as it is although it is a longer reach to the door pulls then I am used to. I like the trunk pass through because it allows for that occasional need to go to the hardware store for an 8 ft. 2X4 or 2X6 for some project around the house. Also my golf clubs fit perfectly, maybe someone else has a really long driver. :P
  • mharris813mharris813 Member Posts: 20
    I agree with most of your comments. The interior is lacking in finish integrity. For $32K, Toyota needs to step up the fit and finish quality. We feel that our '99 Camry has a better interior.

No auto up/down on the power window.... just stupid!
  • mytchandmbmytchandmb Member Posts: 10
    Agree with keithl summary, add to that:

- A more noticable alarm when you leave the car "on". It is so quiet that is easy to leave the car on. The car beeps for a number of reasons, such as leaving the sunroof open, that you don't notice that you left the the car on. Have a place to insert the "key" and turn on/off the car for those who can't handle the keyless method. My wife came out one day and found the engine running 2 hours after "turning" off the car.

- Move the A/C Eco button near the Climate controls!
  • aaeeekgaaeeekg Member Posts: 16
    My loaded Desert Sand TCH has arrived. Picked it up two days ago and have been loving every minute. Can't wait for the week end so that I have the time to really learn how everything works. The golf clubs even fit in the trunk without removing the bag from my pull cart. So what else could I want?

MPG since delivery is already >36 MPG and I'm still learning how to drive it. And of course I have had to experiment to see what kind of acelleration is really available.

Happy as a clam. :blush:
  • keatingfamilykeatingfamily Member Posts: 3
    I got my new Blue w/ grey leather TCH last weekend and I love it. Lagrange Toyota and Team Toyota near Atlanta were both willing to let me have it for $500 under MSRP which I took as a reasonable discount on such a hot car. I was also treated fairly on my trade.

I just love it. It's quiet, efficient and has enough zoom to get me where I need to go. Best of all, I'm giving less of my $$ to the terrorist sponsoring nations that sell us so much oil.

We compared this to the Lexus ES 350 (beautiful, but not the value of the TCH) for $7k more and the Accord EX-L (very nice but just not my style) for $7k less. I'm very pleased with the decision.

I still can't figure how such smart people can't do something better with the battery pack that makes you lose half your trunk, but it's a very small concession.
  • hybridguyhybridguy Member Posts: 3
    Last week we traded in our 2000 Audi A6 (we felt guilty wasting gas for a little luxury) for the new TCH. Overall, we are surprised at the level of comfort our new TCH offers. Nice ride, plenty of legroom and more than enough passing power. Of course there is the add bonus that in eats about half the fuel of our Audi. We are currently averaging ~36 MPG in town and expect to do even better on the highway. I think it is fair to say that no car is perfect, however, I think Toyota has done us a service by providing a car that fills an important niche between the Prius and Honda Civic Hybrid on one end and the performance hybrids on the other. :)
  • umpire63umpire63 Member Posts: 19
    Took possession of my loaded Desert Sand TCH last Saturday. Traded in an '02 Avalon XLS, which I loved. The loaded TCH has about as many ameninites as the Avalon. Here are my thoughts:

Exterior: The car looks better than I thought it would--just a very sharp color and style. It came with the spoiler, which I didn't want, but that doesn't look too bad. I hope the paint protection against chips and scratches is better than it was on my Avalon. We'll see.

The car would also look better with bigger wheels.

Interior: Inside the lines are clean and the colors fit well with the Desert Sand. Plenty of room in the backseat for my children and adults. Good headroom back there, as well. In most cars, my head scrapes the ceiling, but I don't even have to scrunch down in the TCH.

Cup holders in the rear are pretty one-dimensional, a disappointment after the nice layout in my Avalon. The kids will have to make do. The cupholders in the front are great and versatile.

The outlets in the car do not stay "live" when the car is off. That means the only time I can charge my phone is when I drive. I wish they would leave outlets live when the car is off.

I like the arm rest, though I wish it were the sliding kind (I am not spending the $$ to have one installed!). The change drawer to the left of the steering wheel is handy.

I like the controls on the steering wheel, and once I get used to their placement, they will be a big help. However, they feel a little loose. I hope they stand up to use over the miles, but it feels like quality is lacking here.

I agree it needs an automatic "up" on the driver's window. I will miss this feature that my Avalon had.

The controls on the Nav., radio, etc. are a stretch to reach. The Nav. is not intuitive at all. I really need to read the instruction manual. In addition, it is not up to date, as our home address, which has changed to a 9-1-1 address, is not available. I realize maps change all the time, but they could have at least sent one that was less than two years old. Someone mentioned the ECO controls should be placed near the other climate controls, and I agree. My wife didn't even know it was there.

Other controls are nicely laid out and accessible.

Plenty of storage in the front of the cabin.

Seats: The leather isn't as slick as that in my Avalon, but feels quality, and the seats are comfortable. I

Memory seats and mirrors! It needs them!

It has heated seats. Love them!

Driving Experience:

The TCH has plenty of zip for the kind of car it is. My wife said she pushed it to 90 MPH and couldn't even tell. The ride is responsive but smooth, though the tail end does take a hard bump once in awhile. It's not as soft a ride as my Avalon, but I didn't expect it to be.

Vision lines are pretty clear. So far I haven't noticed any bad blind spots.

I find myself watching the MPG gauge and not paying attention to the road as much as I should!

Takes a hard hit on the brakes to disengage the cruise control and that causes a jolt. My Avalon came out of cruise so smoothly, and this is a change. I'll have to experiment and see if I can smooth it out.

So far we have put about 620 miles on it and have averaged just above 39 MPG. The best trip so far was 43.3 MPG over 27 miles. I seem to get a little better mileage on the highway than I do in town.

Overall, I like the car and am glad we purchased it. I will post again when I have more miles under my belt.
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    "Takes a hard hit on the brakes to disengage the cruise control and that causes a jolt. My Avalon came out of cruise so smoothly, and this is a change. I'll have to experiment and see if I can smooth it out."

Just use the steering wheel control to cancel the cruise. Just pull the lever toward you to disengage the cruise. I use this method all the time and it's smooth and perfect.
    For background, I have recently owned and driven (all bought new):

-'03 Camry SE 4cyl 4spd automatic -very nice car, great mileage 23 mpg town, 32ish highway, a few minor dash rattles. Replaced with '05 Highlander in March '05 when I transferred ownership to my daughter.

-'03 Highlander base (fairly loaded) 3.0L V6 4 spd automatic 2wd ..almost perfect vehicle except for mileage-consistent 20-22mpg town or highway, which I expected

-'05 Highlander Limited 3.3L V6 5 speed automatic 2wd. Much nicer than our '03, due to being Limited, and the 3.3L and 5spd automatic are big improvements. 19-22mpg town and 23-25mpg highway...
    I did LOTS of research and test-driving to determine if I was going to be unhappy with the transmission, due to the reports here of severe hesitations....I put 20,000+ miles in 16 months without any issues at all.

Someone close to me bought a Highlander Hybrid Limited in July 05, and I have had the privilege of driving it several hundred miles. WOW! If it wasn't $40k, and the fact that my Highlander was only 4 months old, I might have bought one.... anyway, if I was going to buy another car, I wanted better highway mileage, and a little quieter on the highway. HH out.

Toyota announces the Camry Hybrid. BINGO! wait wait wait....

July 8, I visited Precision Toyota (Tucson) who told me they had an unsold loaded Desert Sand TCH inbound due in L.A. on 7/16. I could have it for MSRP. Placed a $500 deposit, and bought the loaded Desert Sand Loaded TCH on 7/21. Traded in the 03 Highlander, got $1,000 more than ACV, based on the pros in the real-world-trade-in thread here on Edmunds.

10 days and ~500 miles later, I am very impressed.
    I had the windows tinted with ceramic film.

so far my impressions:

Cons:(all minor)
    -I agree, ECO button should be near the climate controls.
    -I prefer the seat height of the Highlander, easier to get in and out for my (yikes) aging body, altho the Camry seems to be ok so far.
    -The folding rear seat back is totally stupid!
    -Would like to have had factory fog lights..even optionally.

Pros:
    -Everything else!

-First fill-up, after all around town, MANY very short 1-2 mile trips, and AC on ECO, the computer said 34.5mpg, calculating it shows 35.5mpg, but uncertain if dealer filled it all the way. (This is after spending more than 1.5 hours with it "ready" in the garage playing with the Nav etc..it's been over 100 degrees in Tucson!) Can't wait to see how high I can get the mpg on this tank!

-Very quiet

- plenty of power, altho I'm not likely to use it very often.

-Great sound system, I'm using an iPod thru the aux input, and just yesterday burned a couple of mp3 CDs to try in the 4-CD changer. Awesome! Did you guys know that you can customize the audio "sound" differently in each mode? AM, FM, Disc, Aux..etc!!!

-Tilt-telescopic steering wheel, and power driver's seat allow perfect seating position.

-It's taking me time to get used to the smart key! Can't tell you how many times I have taken the "key" out of my pocket only to remember I don't need it!

-I can't believe that I am driving a near luxury car (who needs a Lexus?) with the room, handling, quietness, and performance of this car, and better fuel mileage than a Civic!!!!

(BTW, Motor Trend 9/2007 just wrote that the TCH has the 3rd highest fuel economy of any vehicle available in the US, behind the Prius and Civic hybrid) Quite an accomplishment! THANK YOU TOYOTA!
  • ottomottom Member Posts: 2
    My New Camry Hybrid has 2500 miles and MPG has dropped steadily. Started out near 40, then 35 now after six weeks, 30.9 MPG in mixed driving conditions. I'm doing everything except watch where I'm going to maximaize my MPG. ECO air, slow early, maximize coast, no rapid acceleration, etc. I took it to a local dealer, ( I went out of state to buy it) their service representative stated 33 - 44 is the acceptable range. I say " I'm under 32 for the last 300 miles". They smile and say, "everyhthing is working properly". I'd like to drive it onto their showroom floor without opening any showroom doors.
    Just curious, if you have a NAV system and can reset the trip average then pick a spot where you know it should yield maximum FE results and check it out for 10 miles or so. If it's still able to get 40+ then it's probably not the car and is more of a matter of where you are driving and the terrain and other environmental issues.
    Let's delve into your issues one at a time:

1. Have you checked the air in your tires? Lower pressures add rolling resistance and friction. Make sure they are at LEAST 32 and preferably higher.

2. Have you been in weather which requires A/C at "LO" for long periods? A/C at "LO" means the "ECO Mode" of the A/C is turned off, meaning the hybrid battery is not powering your compressor, but instead the gas engine is powering it. Check that.

3. When you say "mixed driving" what specifically do you mean? How much is hwy/city? Do you have a short commute or take a lot of short trips?

4. In city driving, how often do you intentionally manipulate the accelerator to "force" the car to go into EV mode under 42 MPH? I use that trick all the time.

5. Have you checked the oil? You may be low or high, either of which can lower MPG.

6. a good test: Make sure ECO mode is on, then after a fillup of the gas tank, with a warmed up car, get out on a highway and cruise about 62-65 MPH on a fairly level road for about 10 miles. You should average 42-45 MPG on a run like that. Then get on a city run which has few stops and set the cruise at about 34 MPH. The car should switch to EV mode a LOT under that scenario - charged battery from the hwy run, warm engine.

Let us know. There's really nothing anyone has reported that has caused a TCH to produce lower MPG over time. Most tanks fluctuate up and down based on circumstances of the driving patterns.

My tanks have been 35.5, 36.7, 35.9, 39.5, 35.1, 36.4, 40.6, 34.7.

Others have seen: 35.7, 36.9, 41.7, 36.8, 35.5, 39.3 etc.
  • ottomottom Member Posts: 2
    How do I intentionally manipulate the accelerator to "force" the car to go into EV mode under 42 MPH? I've not learned that trick. Seems like I'm never in EV mode.
    OH, OK, sorry, I guess I didn't come with the correct answer on that one.....:)

Make sure the A/C is in ECO mode and you have plenty of battery charge, based on your battery display level, and that the A/C is set mid-70s. It will go into EV mode with the A/C in the 60s too, but it's much more likely to go in the 70s.

Once the car is warmed up, and you are on a flat road with little interference in front of you, (for testing, then you can do this in traffic later) get the car up to about 38 mph.

Then release pressure on the accelerator just enough that you see the instant MPG go way up, to near 60. Then SLIGHTLY press the accelerator again with just a TINY bit of pressure. That should (assuming warm car/battery charge/ECO mode) cause the car to kick down into EV mode.

If that does not do it, try the same thing at lower speed, maybe 34 mph.

If that does not do it, leave the A/C fan on but press the A/C button to OFF and try it again.

If the car does not go into EV mode under any of these circumstances, hastily deliver your car to the dealer because something is wrong with the HSD system.

Good Luck !!!
  • studio69studio69 Member Posts: 7
    I picked up my fully loaded Jasper Pearl TCH July 29th. I love the way the colour changes in the sun. Thanks to this Forum. A posting from another TCH owner had seen this on a lot at
    Naniamo Toyota. I phoned them and put a deposit on over the phone. Even though I had to take a ferry over to get it. It was well worth the exrta expence. This dealership is family owned and a great bunch of well informed and happy people. I love this car. I have 700 km and still on the first tank. I ordered the window visors from weathertech.com as they are far supiorior to the stick on ones. Also ordered an aftermarket Navigation system as it is not available yet as an option in Canada. I think it has to get certification. I could not order the side moldings for Jasper Pearl in Canada. So I ordered them from http://www.toyotapartsstore.com
    I will be on holidays soon and can't wait to get the TCH out on the highway.
  • mfletou1mfletou1 Member Posts: 508
    One note to those who might not have the car and be aware---the windows DO have an auto "down" feature, but do not have an auto "up."

GM vehicles (or at least my GM vehicles) are the same way for, I imagine, the same reason. They consider it to be a safety issue--essentially, they don't want people to get their hands caught as the window is going up. They are aware of situations in which people have engaged the "auto up" either accidentally or mindlessly while their hands were on the top of the window while it was in the down position.

Personally, I really don't care--I'm glad to have the auto down, and I can live without auto up. Hardly worth quibbling about.
    I think Toyota adds auto-up in higher model lines, as my Highlander Limited has auto-up on the driver's window, but my TCH doesn't..it's convienent to have, but no biggy for me either.
  • cbear9494cbear9494 Member Posts: 9
    Day 3 with my white TCH. Had leather and a sun roof installed with Classic Soft Trim and am very impressed. I went into it with some trepidation.

My wife is the primary driver and has worries about the Fob that I think are pretty legitimate and searching green hybrid boards are known but underappreciated by me.

1. Our dealer did not mention this but if you forget to turn the power off and leave the vehicle with the Fob IT IS STILL ON and can be driven. This may seem unlikely but the car is sooo dang quiet I really have a hard time telling when the thing is on or off. Also the power button is hidden from direct view by the steering wheel.

As others have said you have to learn the habit of stop - park - power off - exit as there is not mechanical step such as removing the key.

2. Probably a question for women or those without pockets but where to people keep their Fob when driving? Not an issue with most men b/c of the pocket issue but for my wife it has to be conscious. Even if she kept it in her purse she doesn't always take her purse with her if running out quickly.

She worries about leaving the fob in the car accidentally and potentially locking it in the car (by pushing the internal lock prior to leaving). Again without a mechanical step of removing the key this is easy to do unless you train yourself.

Beyond that worry that is probably overcomable with a change in habit the car is amazing! and well worth the wait.

-c
    i understand your concerns...they put a smile on my face...i hope the following is of some help

1. if u leave the TCH on and try to walk away with the FOB...the car DINGS at you in a most annoying way...i can't wait to see what Toyota does with all the suggestions that have been posted

2. i many times just throw my keys/FOB in the center arm rest...the vehicle will not lock if the FOB is in the car...at least that is what the manual says...i have tried locking the FOB in the TCH...to no avail...it all takes a bit getting used to...but well worth the trip

congrast...i have had my blue ribbon since 5/17 and have 4500 miles...and have enjoyed each mile
  • erreug_jimerreug_jim Member Posts: 1
    I am very pleased with this car. I switched from a Jeep Wrangler to the TCH so the difference in ride, mileage, and sophistication is especially dramatic. A gadet kind of guy, I've made everything work: the Home Link, Blue Tooth, and I have even made my own music CDs and it plays them beautifully. I have filled the tank only once before letting it get really empty. One thing I learned is that the tank was not really full when it was delivered. The needle read full but when I filled it up (I didn't over fill it either... I stopped when the gas pump stop on its own the first time) the needle went above the top hash mark and was nearly over the F letter. That partial tank average was about 35. I commute 35 miles a day in mixed highway and city driving (20%/80%) weighted toward city driving. However this first tank was not typical as I was on a trip for 4 days (by air not car). I used 9.384 gallons in a 10-day period. With this next tank I'm going to let it get really low and it will be more typical driving for me. I am learning to drive the car so that it operates in EV mode a lot. I use cruise quite a bit even on long stretches of city driving with lite traffic. I keep it in ECO mode at all times with the AC set at 72 degrees. I do love my air conditioning. I get a lot of comment on the Blue Ribbon MEtalic color with the light grey cloth interior and the moon roof. My TCH is non-NAV.
  • candyapplecandyapple Member Posts: 3
    While searching for a red, base model TCH, I visited six dealers and called six more before scoring on the thirteenth attempt. That dealer had one due at the port on July 31st that had not already been promised. We drove fifty miles to the dealership and made a deposit for the sale at MSRP. We took delivery on August 12th. We are impressed but we have only driven it a few times. Here are my questions: When we closed the sale the "closer" threw three options at us in rapid succession and told us we had to make a choice immediately. We never do anything if it sounds too good to be true or if we are not given time to think it over. First, we were offered a Toyota Extended Warranty covering some "critical HSD items" which would give us all our money back if we never used in seven years, second we were offered registration for our security system (windows) for an additional fee, and last we were offered the option of paying about half price for all the normal services (15k, 30k, etc) if we paid up front. We declined all of these options. I put my trust in Toyota well ahead of that particular dealership. Did we miss out on a good deal by declining any of these? Lastly, I use a high quality polymer polish called "Finish First" on my other vehicles. Will this polymer product will work well on the new TCH and should I wait a month or two before first use?
    Well - had to made my first fix-it trip to the dealer today. :( Appears the moonroof decided to quit doing what it was supposed to do. No auto open function - and both buttons did the open /close functions and tilt. I could tilt the roof with either button --- made it difficult to tell when it was closed. There fix was to reprogramming the unit. TOO Much electronics... I also picked up the Toyota Platinum 7/100,000 warranty from the dealer - for a $1 over cost. Guess he wanted the business. Now the car seems happy :)
  • larrykingrylarrykingry Member Posts: 15
    kc_rusty,I just purchased a TCH and wanting to buy the Platinum warranty. Would you mind telling where you got the warranty and how much it cost?

Thanks, Larry
    I actually got it at my dealer -- They said their cost was $890 for the 7/100,000 and he sold it to me for a dollar over.
    I did have a quote from Troy somebody at Greenfield MA for $990 and thought I'd give my dealer a shot at it and it worked. Bought it this morning. :)
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    You will get better coverage, for a longer period, from a reputable outside warranty company.
    I originally signed up with warranty direct - their 7/100,000 coverage was on sale for $1203 with $100 deductible. Coverage was identical as far as I can tell. Cancelled them and went with Toyota - - saved a couple of hundred with $0 deductible. If you have a better deal - please inform us... Who offers longer than 7yrs/100,000 miles coverage ?:)
    There are lots of differences, hundreds of items, but I recognize there are many out there who just plain feel better buying from their dealer. The trick is to look at what is not covered, as compared to what is, and if normal wear-and-tear is included, not just catastrophic failure. ;)

I have seen coverages running to 125,000K/5 years. That is what I have on one car. Anything longer is a bad buy for me, like 7/100K, as I drive more than 20K per year, on average.
  • orbiterorbiter Member Posts: 4
    I took delivery of my deep blue metalic TCH on July 12th. As of August 18th I've driven over 2200 miles. Here are my impressions.
    As a new model, I was concerned that it would be full of flaws: tepid air conditioning; dimming lights at night; disappointing fuel econmoy. None of those concerns have proven valid. Bottom line, it is one of the finest cars I have ever driven.
    It rides beautifully, smoothing out the roughest road. It tracks like an arrow. The electric steering is smooth and effortless. The toys all work, (it's loaded with everything). Even the bluetooth phone connection was a snap. (Sprint Katana). Best of all, my fuel economy for the first 1993 miles was 40.248 mpg, calculated meticulously.
    Here is my driving profile. I live in northern Wisconsin. The terrain is gently rolling to moderate hills in most areas. Approximately 25% of my driving is between home and town at 25 to 35 mph. About 50% of my driving is on state and county highways at 55 to 65 mph. The remaining 25% is on four lane or interstate highways at speeds of about 70 mph.
    There is a technique to achieve max mpg, but it is easily learned. It is subtle, and you don't end up hindering the flow of traffic. It becomes second nature.
    Big pleasant surprises: the airconditioning, even on econ setting, will freeze you out. On moderate days, driving with the a/c off and windows open does not diminish fuel economy. If you have to pass someone, the car accelerates like a rocket. I was amazed. The cycling of the ICE is supremely subtle. When the engine kicks in, there is the merest nudge as the power transitions from electric to gasoline engine, or a combination of the two.
    For reference, my car shows a manufacturing date of June, 2006. I have no idea if there have been tweaks to the system as the car has rolled into production, but I would imagine there have been many minor adjustments.
    I also realize that the coming winter months will impact my fuel economy. Snow and ice will increase rolling resistance, (we get a bunch of snow), so my MPG will probably go down.
    Be that as it may, The Camry Hybrid is one of the finest cars I have ever driven. I'll report again as the months go on. Hopefully I won't be eating my words. But Toyota is smart enough to never market a car wearing its premier badge "Camry" with anything less than thoroughly researched and validated pedigree. Good luck and best wishes to all you fellow travelers
    Glad to hear a good report!

You have the "right" attitude, and are not nit-picking everything to death.

I should think with all the snow in Japan, they have built it right for a Wisconsin winter, eh? ;)
  • skibeechskibeech Member Posts: 4
    I am waiting for delivery of my new TCH, Barcelona Red.It has arrived in Jacksonville,Fl and ahould be at the dealership in a few days. Regardsing the extended warranty. You actually have 12 months to purchase it at the new car price. ALSO, shop around. Price can vary from dealer to dealer. Check out on line prices. Make sure however it is the real Toyota Extended Warranty. The difference in price from Toyota Financial and a Toyota/Lexus Dealer in Connecticut was almost $700./ the dealer being less.

Forget Toyoguard, thats what auto insurance is for. As for servicing, thats up to you. What happens if you are unhappy with the dealer service dept.
    That is why I always go to a highly rated third-party warranty company. They pay the shop where you are having the repairs done directly with a credit card, you have no hassles, and if you don't like your dealerships repair shop, you can go wherever you like. ;)
  • bobelizbobeliz Member Posts: 2
    Any suggestions on a highly rated, economical third party warranty company?
    There are several good companies out there, Warranty Direct, etc.

Check the links provided on Edmunds.com, when searching for new car prices, for extended warranties. :)
  • keithetkeithet Member Posts: 5
    Took a bus to Toronto to pick up my brand new Barcelona Red TCH. Seven weeks from order time to delivery. Ottawa dealers are MSRP only so I got it through CARS4U.COM. I got the B package which is the only upgrade from the base Hybrid in Canada. Included were Leather, Sunroof, both side power seats, mud flaps,wheel locks, JBL system, etc etc. No GPS system available up here. Side mouldings and hood deflector were the only options. I didn't get an extended warranty since they want list price for it. Not like in the states where you can get a deal. CARS4U got it from a local Toronto dealer who would probably rather not give a deal on the TCH but gets so much other business from CARS4U that they really have to. Discount off of list was about $1,500 and no processing fee or other fees thrown in. The drive back from Toronto was great and fuel usage was at about 5.7 litres/100 km. I checked the odometer and speedometer with a Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS and speed was right on at 100 km/hr over a stretch of 20km on cruise (not advised for a longer period during breakin) Distance was very close to perfect with an odometer reading of 120 km and the Garmin Nuvi reading of 119.2 km.

If anyone wants the name of the broker I dealt with just ask. He would have met me half way in Kingston for the delivery but I wanted it one day sooner! At the start of the deal, he drove to Kingston to meet me to look at my trade which I later sold outright. He was to say the least, very accommodating. No pressure at all.
    Congratulations!

Good to hear from people who are pleased and satisfied with their deals. :)
  • candyapplecandyapple Member Posts: 3
    I have only a little over a hundred miles on my new TCH.
    I have a couple questions:
    1. I was surprised to find the cold pressure of my Michelins set at 42PSI. The Michelin pamphlet recommends 32 PSI. I called the dealership and was told that they set the pressure on each Hybrid at 40-42 PSI to help assure longer tire wear since the Hybrids are heavier. They mentioned that this experience goes back to excessive tire wear on the Prius.

2. I was a bit disappointed to find that my brakes squeal mildly while backing up and somewhat less when going forward and slowing to a stop. Our old 91 Camry has had squealing brakes for many years. I had hoped for quiet in the new one.

3. I use an expensive polymer product called "Finish First" to polish and protect the exterior paint on my other vehicles. I am very happy with it. Is there any reason why a polymer product would not be suitable on the new Barcelona Red TCH? Is it necessary to wait a few months for the paint to "cure" before applying the first coat?

I would appreciate hearing any recommendations.
  • r_nashr_nash Member Posts: 33
    Toyota recommends 35psi for freeway driving. I've been running 42psi front / 40psi rear since my TCH was new. I've got just over 4,000 miles and my tires are wearing evenly so far. Handling is noticebly better with the higher pressure.

My brakes have been exceptionally quiet. I've yet to hear a squeak. I'd have the dealer check them out.

Never heard of "Finish First". The TCH has a clear coat over most (all?) paint colors. I don't think it would be a problem. Mine is Desert Sand a tan metallic paint. I've been using Mequire's NXT Tech Wax on my TCH and have been very happy with the shine. :)
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    Running the tire pressures higher will also improve fuel economy as well as help with the handling. It does make the ride a little rougher and noisier though.

Just have the dealer look at the brakes- probably just need an adjustment or they can resurface the rotors.

You don't have to wait 3 months for your paint to fully cure since it's baked at the factory. If you ever have paint done at a body shop where they can't bake the paint waiting the 3 months is a good idea.
    As long as the polish is ok for use with clear coats, it should be fine.

tom
    Running the tire pressures higher will also improve fuel economy as well as help with the handling.

I can see it helping FE, I can't see it helping handling. People just don't make their tires rock hard to improve handling. But remember this is not a handling machine anyway. It leans and drives like a family sedan.

As for the dealers using 42 psig because the TCH is heavier, that's an ignorant answer. Heavier than what? Does Toyota not know what they are doing? If I can't trust them to tell me what's the safe design pressure for the tires they installed then I wouldn't want to trust them on anything else.

If you want max FE juice it up. However, do it at your own risk. I can't believe any dealership would accept the liability of putting more pressure than what is recommended. That's stupid from a business perspective.

It's the same intelligence of the idiots that kept putting 40 in my Explorer because it's more heavier (than what?) Ford and Firestone agreed that it needed to be at 30 psig. It's twichy and dangerous over 32 (the Explorer).

I would'nt use a polymer based coating protectant until I was sure there were no touch ups needed. Polymers do a really good job of bonding rather than just coating like wax and it makes it difficult to touch up paint unless they take it down to bare metal.(Found that out on a scratch on my BMW_ painted section 2 times_never was satisfied)