Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Changes You'd Like To See in the Toyota Camry Hybrid

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
Have an idea to build a better TCH? This is the place to spell out your idea!

Comments

• shaunsshauns Member Posts: 24
    I like the faux wood treatment of the XLE door panels and console. Does anyone know if it's possible to obtain these parts to retrofit the TCH? Toyota sells some "wood dash accents", but I suspect that these just cover the instrument binnacle...tacky, tacky.

Gripe: why isn't the bisque interior available with the Titanium exterior? This seems to be a feature distinguishing Toyota from Lexus...or even the Camry from the Avalon.

Yup...if Lexus does an ES350 hybrid with a 2.5l V-6, I'd probably buy it...but if they do something counterproductive like the GS450H (emphasizing performance instead of balanced performance/economy), I won't.
    For now, the TCH for me.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Gripe: why isn't the bisque interior available with the Titanium exterior?

I don't like the light gray interior, not on a TCH or any other vehicle. I would have rather seen Charcoal as the standard like my 4Runner has. However I also really like my leather in brown and that's what I wanted, so I was hoping my TCH would be red with brown interior. I love the titanium that I ended up with, just not the ash and that is all that is available (except we have seen where someone got bisque?).

Personally I have never thought that the bisque really went well with the grey and silver colors and while I would rather have bisque, I would not have wanted it with the titanium exterior. Personal taste I guess, to each their own.

I did put black all weather mats (instead of grey) in and that seems to break up the drap light grey look somewhat.

I don't particulary care for fake wood (or fake anything for what that's worth)and I looked at some of the seconday market kits. That much wood on a light grey interior looked way overdone. I think I would only want a few trim pieces at best rather than a whole kit. For mine, if I ever do anything I will probably go with a carbon fiber look as I think the darker accents will look better.
  • bsp8181bsp8181 Member Posts: 1
    So, if you could change one thing about your Camry Hybrid, what would it be?
  • r_nashr_nash Member Posts: 33
    I'd love an EV button to keep the ICE from starting for those times you need to move the car a short distance.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    I would get rid of the little bulb-nose it has. It makes it distinct but I just don't like it!

ok, seriously? More trunk room would be nice. Maybe sacrifice the spare and get run flats? Different battery placement? Shelves? I find I have to put stuff in the back seat instead of the trunk.

tom
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    Of course, the trunk is a little tight.

The rear suspension needs improvement : With 4 adults and child, no luggage, mine bounces three times over each bump. I imagine the same will happen with onboard with their luggage.

Pipedream : When battery cells get better, we'll be able to cruise without the ICE at 50 mph, and the battery will still last for more than 8 years. 10 years away ?
  • alp8alp8 Member Posts: 656
    not too much of a pipedream: the ability to plug it in, buying energy at night (cheaper)
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    I woudl get rid of the 60/40 seat and put the battery pack flat against the back seat and regain some usable truck space! I would make more NAV units and in the non-Nav cars the LCD should be there to give you the extra engine/trip stuff.
    I wish it took curves like the FX45 I traded for it. When I'm coasting downhill in E mode it would be nice not to have to brake. My wife really complains about some of the curves I take at 50 mph and these are the same curves I took at 60 in the past and she never noticed. Why can't we have the SE handling package? Maybe they really do want this to be an "old persons" car?
  • ggav73ggav73 Member Posts: 31
    I don't use the mode button on steering wheel. I would like 2 buttons to scroll both ways through the little screen options (ie MPG/temp/trip A/odo/etc).
    Also, I would like light on the vanity mirrors.
    The ECO button should be in a more visible/accesible spot.
    The cruise control should be part of the steering wheel, the current look/position is obsolete for this type of car.
  • bmgoodmanbmgoodman Member Posts: 102
    *FOLDING MIRRORS
    *lighted power window switches and vent buttons
    *lighted door lock mechanisms (maybe just lighting when the car isn't moving?)
    *sliding arm rest
    *power outlet in trunk
    *better front seat thigh support
    *separate dimmer for stereo/climate control
    *separate lights for "master" cruise vs cruise "engaged"

Way out there:
    *Do we really still need a dip stick to check the oil? Can't that be measured automatically and reported on the dash?
  • bbryanbbryan Member Posts: 1
    I've heard that a hybrid will not run without gas in the tank, even with the battery fully charged, apparently so that owners don't run the battery below optimal levels.

I think there should be some sort of emergency override available to get you to a station. There are times when a person would rather damage the batter than be stranded, for instance if stranded means you're out walking at night on the freeway with small children, or something like that.
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    In the mpg - Real-world numbers forum, you may see hybridriver's story about voluntarily running out of fuel :

"Anyway, today the car ran out of gas at 613 miles. I tried to accelerate, and the engine did not kick in. Fortuitously, I was a few hundred feet from a gas station at that moment, and just glided in with the electric motor to the pump."

Your wish has already been fulfilled.
    I think though you'd better be within sight of the station when you run out
  • consumer46consumer46 Member Posts: 17
    I would like to see three changes:
    1. As in the Prius -- a back-up camera for a TCH equipped with Nav

2. Separate dimmer for Nav/stereo/climate control

3. As standard - Michelin tires instead of Bridgestone
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    3. As standard - Michelin tires instead of Bridgestone

Guess I got lucky, my loaded TCH in Desert Sand, which i picked up yesteday, has the Michelins.

Too new to comment on the other changes I would like.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Be sure to post your early thoughts on your new TCH in the New Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report discussion!
  • aaeeekgaaeeekg Member Posts: 16
    Navigation - I've only had the car for 3 days so I will probable think of other improvements as I go but for now I would like to see the navigation system recommend a route with FE in mind.

The 3 choices right now are "Quickest 1", Quickest 2" and "Shortest". How about changing "Quickest 2" to a "Most FE".
    Ditto, hate the light gray, miss the darker grays Toyota used to have in my older Camrys.
    I have never owned a car with such a bad combination of brightness for the dash and he radio. First it seems one dimmer controls the dash/radio lights for when the lights are on and also for the dash brightness for even when thelights are off. This is ridiculous. I need bright dash lights for when it is bright and sunny, but don't want glaring dash at night. Also no matter how dim you make the dash lights the damn radio is so bright. What were they thinking!! My Acura's and Infinit's has electroluminescent lights and they were at MAX when heardlights were off and the dimmer cam into play only when the headlights were on. Wake up Toyota!
    the damn radio is so bright

While it takes a few steps to change, the NAV system allows you to have a day / night setting as well as contrast and brightness controls for the monitor.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    While it takes a few steps to change, the NAV system allows you to have a day / night setting as well as contrast and brightness controls for the monitor.

Unfortunately I do not have NAV, wish I did.
  • paul29paul29 Member Posts: 178
    The outside temp display should be where it was on the previous version , on and visable all the time . Now one has to scroll to get the temp .
  • rscotts54rscotts54 Member Posts: 47
    Funny, I was just going to post the same thing... We like to look at the ousice temp frequently. Hate to keep scrolling through the multi-function display to see it.
  • psepse Member Posts: 14
    Toyota should have had an auto up feature in addition to the auto down feature. Also make auto up and down available to the driver for all 4 windows.
    Also add a low and high setting to the seat heaters.
    Let's add an "Auto Close" feature for the sunroof when you power-down the car.
  • primo2primo2 Member Posts: 31
    the TCH does have auto close...you have 30 seconds after you power down to close all windows and sunroof
  • camygcamyg Member Posts: 11
    I agree the outside temp should be back with the clock. However, you don't have to scroll to get to the outside temp. Just hold the display button for at least one second and the display goes directly to the outside temp display.
    Why do car manaufactureres think that every one is so lazy that they need an automatic.

Some people actually enjoy shifting.

I like the Toyota Camry Hybrid and would have bought one if it had been avaialble with a manual transmission.

Just my opinion,

MidCow
  • flopshotflopshot Member Posts: 14
    This request doesn't really make sense, because there are no gears to shift in the Hybrid with CVT. I guess they could have offered two completely different transmissions and gearboxes (an auto with CVT, and the standard manual used in the LE?) but not sure if that is technically possible with the HSD engine.
    Okay amend it: get rid of CVT and HSD and implement a diferent hybrid system which supports a manual 6-speed transmission.

MidCow
  • larsblarsb Member Posts: 8,204
    I would have liked a larger battery and an EV mode button.

Take away the "vitually useless" trunk pass through hole and folding back seats.

Instead, use that space for additional battery capacity, add an EV Mode force switch, and give me 10 miles or so in EV mode under 40 MPH for my city street commute.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Okay amend it: get rid of CVT and HSD and implement a diferent hybrid system which supports a manual 6-speed transmission. "

MidCow,
    The point of hybrids is to get better MPG (except for those "high performance" models, which are tuned for better performance). Having a manual transmission would not give predictable MPG when used with a hybrid system. The HSD is tuned to utilize the electric and gas power in such a manner as to maximize MPG. They do this by varying the transmission power source and ratios - by programming the computer to "shift" the drive ratios continuously. Toyota can't program drivers to do a similar thing.

(Not to techies - please don't bother responding about the details of the HSD and not having "gears" or being a "transmission". )
    camyg: Thanks for the info on the outside temp!!

primo2: On my other car (Highlander with aftermarket sunroof), when you turn the key off, the sunroof closes without any other action by the driver. If you want to leave it open for some reason, you just hit the open button before it completes closing.
    I was thinking more along the line of the manual transmission Insight or the previous version Civic hybrid manual shift. A Hybrid system similar to Honda's IMA could support a manual transmissin.

But yes, I agree the Toyota HSD system is simlar to a CVT automatic ( evn though uses planetary sun gear and MG1 MG1, drive wheels and ICE input) in its current form is not ammenable to a manual transmission.

But think about it what are the functional components of all ICE/electric hybrid systems?

(1) A traction battery to drive the electric motor.
    (2) An electric motor that augments ICE and in some case can run independent.
    (3) Energy recovery from braking . Generating electricity to charge traction battery

The transmission CVT, x-speed auto or x-speed manual is not really a direct part of the hybrid system. if you think-out-of-the-box is is possible that Toyota could come up with a manual shift diesel Yaris that would get 100 mpg or even a manual shift Camry that would get 70 mpg. I would wait in line for either or both of those cars.

YOMV,

MidCow

P.S. Like the style of the new Camry
    I'd like to see it handle better. Considering I want to maximize FE by coasting without braking whenever possible I have many times had to brake around curves because my passenger (wife) was complaining. I find that curves I took comfortably at 65+ in my FX45 are uncomfortable at even 50 mph in the TCH.

Just because I wanted FE does not mean I didn't want the SE looks and handling.
    I would have bought the Lexus ES350 had it been available in hybrid. I think Toyota needs to make an upscale TCH to get a little closer in materials quality to the Lexus.
    What kind of goodies would you add beyond generally improving quality?
    An option for REAL wood trim (I hate the aftermarket kits, too gaudy and too many pieces of trim). For the TCH I would not have minded some brushed aluminum or even carbon fiber trim pieces. The gray interior is drab and need something to offset all that gray.

Factory tinted glass would be great! I have refused to use add on tint over the years. I just can't stand bubbles or streaks and scratches. Laminated darker glass would be appreciated. I realize many states have laws but even mine allows a specific % tint. If nothing else add it as an option to the southern cars and not as a dealer add on. It needs to be laminated.

My car is loaded and other than "dressing up" the interior with softer materials and more upscale trim there is not a lot to do to it other than make it look better with trim.

Exterior wise I find the car attractive but would have liked the SE trim package (even if it cost me some FE).

The TPMS needs to be standardized across the industry to lower the costs. I'd like to have a winter and summer set of wheels and tires but don't want to spend $300 to $400 on an extra set of monitors. Wouldn't mind doing it if they were a lot cheaper.

I would like more sound deadening materials. I believe to emphasize how quiet the car is at a stop, it would be nice to have it quiet while I'm driving as well. The road and wind noise is acceptable but it's far from quiet. many will say crank up the stereo, but all you're doing there is over riding the noise with louder noise. That has toaffect the quality of the music. I'd like to be able to listen to music and talk while driving.

Add FOG LIGHTS or Leave out the funky little black grill altogehter. Paint it to color or put a smooth bumper on the TCH.

HID Headlights. A car that can run on electric should have a decent set of lights. These are not bad, they just are not as good as most I've had lately.
  • neon8mdneon8md Member Posts: 1
    I love my TCH - but everything can always be improved upon. Having owned the TCH for 2 months now here is my wish list:

1.Better brakes with a shorter stopping distance. Granted this is a feature you may only need once...but you will certainly wish you had it if the time comes.

2. Foldable sideview mirrors.

3. Fog lights

4. A smarter Hybrid synergy system - I know people say it follows a complicated algorithm for how it draws its power, but from the driver seat the system just seems confused at times.

5. More power AND better gas mileage (why not this is a wishlist)
    Heck, you could look for a bigger interior while saying the outside is just the perfect size! :P
  • agnostoagnosto Member Posts: 207
    ... very relaxing to the eye... My loaded 2006 Sienna LTD has the HID headlamps and they are sooooo nice, beautiful bright white color and I thought my 2007 TCH would have them also... it only has Blue-tint Halogen Auto On/Off Headlamps. Another feature that I like a lot in my 2006 Sienna is the DLCC that makes long trips so easy and relaxing.
  • heathinsdheathinsd Member Posts: 24
    I'd like to see more LEDs on the center brake light. The 4 that are there look so funky to me, maybe it's just me though. Would it have cost THAT much more to put 8? :)
  • terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    Typically the number or "brightness" conforms to automotive industry standards. In the case of brake lights, one wants to be noticed, but not blind drivers behind you that would actually cause an accident. ;)
  • brownie3brownie3 Member Posts: 5
    THE DRAB DUSTY APPEARANCE OF THE DASHBOARD CAN BE ENHANCED BY USING ORIGINAL ARMOR ALL IN MY OPINION. AFTER TREATING OUR TCH MY WIFE AND I AGREED IT LOOKED MUCH BETTER.
    I agree that Armor All helps, I applied it the day I brought it home. However it simply makes the dull drab look shiney drab :)

I don't really like gray and it needs something to set it off. I did put black all weather Toyota floor mats in place of the gray carpet and that helps some. Charcoal instead of gray would have been a better choice in my opinion.
    Ah, if you want to discuss things that you've actually done to the interior of your TCH, I'd suggest trying the Toyota Camry Hybrid Interior & Passenger Comfort Questions discussion.

Interior color choices are not what they used to be, are they. Not many RED dashboards out there any more!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Improved material for the cloth interior. The material used in the SE Camry is decent.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    #1 of 37 Toyota Camry Hybrid - Changes You'd Like To See by pf_flyer HOST Jul 18, 2006 (11:28 am)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Msg
    Have an idea to build a better TCH? This is the place to spell out your idea!

Is this part of the new thousands of threads per model new format at Edmunds?