Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• lfmlfm Member Posts: 35
    Thank you very much for the info!!!

Lloyd
  • mrpatmrpat Member Posts: 24
    I dont know how to use this blog properly.
    I saw a picture of the tch w fog lights and someone asked where the owner got them. I didnt see the amswer but thats probably because I dont know how to look for it.
    If someone is willing to help me out, please tell where I can get fog lights installed without screwing up the complicated electrical system; I hit a deer a month ago with my old volvo> Rather not hit one with my beautiful blizzard pearl anniversary tch
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Some folks are adding them however from what I read you are concerned about "screwing up" the complicated electrical system and the people that are installing them are doing so without factory "approval" thus risking voiding at least part of their warranties.

If you have a concern about messing something up, I'd stay with original TCH accessories and wait until Toyota comes out with a fix.
  • pianewmanpianewman Member Posts: 8
    I'm a new owner (350 miles) of a TCH, and I'm already disappointed with the softness of the ride.
    I'd love to put the Camry SE struts/shocks in the TCH. Does anyone know if they would fit?
    The local dealers (DC) aren't interested in exploring this for me.
    Thanks. By the way, I love the car...except for the struts!!
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I agree the ride is on the soft side, but that is what I expected when I bought the car. I find that I don't drive it agresssively, so the handling is not an issue for me.

There's been some discussion on greenhybrid of this. You might want to do a search. Remember, with your batteries in the trunk area, and the extra HSD components in the engine bay, it changes the weight, and possibly the weight distribution vs the SE, so it might be hard to just use the SE struts.

I am not sure if an aftermarket supplier has replacement or upgrade struts yet for the TCH... if you find any, please let us know, as there are several of us that might consider it.
    Not sure where to post this so here goes. My dealer had a "tires for life" program. I do my maintenance at their dealership (and their costs are reasonable) and they supply tires for the life of the car as long as I own it.

Well at less than 25,000 miles my tires are shot. Unfortunately they will only put back on the Bridgestones. I would have been willing to pay a little extra for something else. I typically have good experiences with Bridgestone but not this particular make.

Just so you know I've had the tires rotated and balanced at 5000 mile intervals (overkill in my opinion_but relatively cheap) and had an alignment in that milage. Tires are still shot. Not very good for a non-sport tire.

I figured I'd get a hassle from the dealer but they fully agreed that they needed replaced.
    I would like to shorten the length of time it takes for the headlights to turn off, after turning off the car.
    The owner's manual says this time can be adjusted, but by the dealer.

Does anyone know how to get into the computer to adjust this?
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    It is a dealer-only adjustment, unless you have the right software and connections, I guess. I recently had several climate control settings changed. The dealer did them in about 10 minutes. No charge.
    Thanks lzc. Were they able to shorten the time? Mine are set at 30 seconds, which is 15 seconds longer than we want. I investigated toyotoiguide and learned they can be set longer (60 or 90 seconds), but not shorter, unless the dealer can do something that the owner can't.
    Thanks.
    I don't believe 15 seconds is an option. They are: off, 30, 60, or 90 seconds.
  • lungdoc63lungdoc63 Member Posts: 55
    So having read multiple postings on the issue of adding fog lights to the TCH, I am confused. There are concerns re: if it can be done, the amount of power used - would it be safe, and how to do it. All the posting are dated.

Does anyone have a relatively easy way of adding the fog lights - either DIY or professionally?
  • lvwlvw Member Posts: 14
    http://www.autobarn.net/hel88218.html

A remote control kit, as above, looks the cheapest easy way to go. I'm going to do that, once I get some lights that will look right. (Waiting for some clones of the factory lights) As to load, not a problem. Consider that the system can handle an auxiliary load just fine, from one or both of the sockets inside the car.

A more expensive solution would be to get a factory stalk assembly from a model that has fog lights, and factory fog lights. I'm too cheap to do that, you might not be. Would look a bit better.

Of course, any warranty issues that arise may be a problem. Your choice how to proceed...
  • plknjplknj Member Posts: 121
    If the dealer does this, they will be connected to your lights. BUT... if your car does not have the mounting hardware my dealer quoted me in the $900 area with the lights. They said that the hardware is about $500. That means the lights are $400, which is insane!

Since putting xenon headlights in I hardly ever use my brights. With all the cars I have owned, this is the first time that has happened. Check with a local dealer how installing the xenon voids your warranty. I was warned about this but never looked into the details.

Still, the xenon lights have eliminated the need to put in fog lights. If I had put them in through an after-market dealer, they would have had to drill into the frame and put a lovely toggle inside the car.
    How much was the zenon lights installation and where did you have it done? I would like to do the same?
    I have a blizzard pearl anniv tch.
    I saw a white Saab with light blue zenon lights. Did they give you a color choice? I think the purple ones would spoil the look of the car.
    I love my tch more than when it was new. The mechanic at Conicelli told me the reason for the low speed brake squeak is that the pads are hard and should last about 50k.
    With my Volvo I was lucky to get 15 to 20 k
    The headlights, as far as I know, only come in one color. I had them installed by an after market store called Auto Image. They have stores in New Jersey, and I have used them for numerous cars for different things... I trust them.

The lights cost me $500 with the installation taking 45 minutes. The lights make an incredible difference.
  • regal1945regal1945 Member Posts: 25
    Your dealers a friggan moron!!!! :(
    Do you know where those folks are getting the fog lights installed and where they mounted the switches etc..
    My Toyota mechanic says the charging system will handle the current flow as long as they dont splice any of the existing wiring.
    I would like to have a backup camera installed for my wife, if you know anything about people having them installed let me know
    I love my TCH so far and the mechanic says Toyota know about the brake squeak and they are trying to figure out a fix. He also said these brakes should last 50 k or more because of the regen system. Thanks for your reply and keep writing.
    OK... but why do you say that?
    My Toyota dealer said they could put in a backup camera seen on our navogation system for around $750.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    Everyone has to make up their own mind, but here is my take:

If I owned a hybrid I would only allow electrical modifications to be done by the dealer. The electrical system is integral to the HSD; If you have problems with the computer / HSD / battery charging, etc., Toyota could claim that any non-dealer-installed electrical items caused damage. And they might be correct... :surprise:

Hybrids are computer controlled, multi-power-source vehicles that run as a combined system; the electrical systems are carefully set up and matched by computer code. This is not your father's 1955 Chevy, and you cannot modify it extensively. Unless you want to, of course; it's a free country. But be prepared for possible problems during warranty claims.
    please let me know which toyota dealer and if you have it installed, let me know if you are satisfied.
    One of the best dealerships I have ever come across and are tech savy with countless upgrades is Lawrenceville Toyota on Route 1... it's a small, comfortable dealer. Ask for Shanon as she handles all the upgrades.
    thanks for the info, Ill check it out
    Was just at my dealer and specifically asked how my xenon headlights would void the warranty?

The answer was that if some electrical problem occurred in the area where the wiring has been changed that most likely it would not be covered by my warranty.

I was also told a story how a Toyota mechanic saved $100 on an alarm system at Circuit City and then had a mechanical problem related to the installation of the alarm which ended up costing him $2,000! They also said that since my headlights have been installed for months I probably have nothing to worry about and that most legitimate after market installers will usually stand by the work they do.

Which confirms the stevedebi post about warranty's
  • drshrinkwrapdrshrinkwrap Member Posts: 2
    Woodgrain dash trim -

Do you know who sells the best? Is it Superiordash.com or autoanything.com or toyotapartsforless.com? Anyone have an experience with their products or the installation (I assume professional installation is best- do you know anyone in the LA area?) It seems like one can over do it with the trim kits, and that using only some of the appliques looks more elegant. Does anyone have photos or personal experience with this? Any thoughts on the best woodgrain color for the gray leather interior?

Other accessories I'm considering include:

Floor mats - is there a middle ground between the heavy duty all weather mats and the clear plastic ones? I'm looking for something unobtrusive that would also catch spills.

Rear bumper applique - do you think this is necessary. I saw there already is a protected area by the the lip of the trunk?

Sport shift knob?? - anyone have experience with this accessory? Does it only come in black?

Thanks
  • hybcanhybcan Member Posts: 1
    I travel a lot in Canada and they are using metric system. It is any chace to cenge the speed from Mile to Km and F to C ?
  • kimikopikimikopi Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I bought a base model Blue Metallic for 25k. In the future, is it possible to change to leather seats and add the Navigation system if I want them?
    Regarding the dash - I have been considering adding a molded woodgrain dash... the other kind looks like the plastic it is. My dealer will install it for $595 which is a bit high. I installed the other dash kit on my Saab... it was easy but I wasn't thrilled with the look. You can also Google 'dash kits' and get a few more options. Please tell me what you decide.

As for floor mats.. try the berber... they have held up well in two of my cars.
  • hoylehoyle Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2008 Camry Hybrid, and am wondering if bumper guards can be installed. Since its chassis is supposedly identical to that of Toyota Highlander, and there are tubular bumper guards for the latter, is it possible to install them to the Camry? Has anyone tried installing bumper guards on Camry Hybrid?
    To make a long story short... got into an accident... hit by a Dodge Ram pickup... the pickup won. Ten thousand dollars of damage turned into... get this... a $26,000 bill.

Yes, if they knew they would have totaled it... Parts were over $15,000 with two modules totaling $7,000.

My Toyota dealer took my car to the after market shop and had my headlights installed... a bit to my surprise. Because it is minimally invasive they weren't threatening me about voiding my warranty.
  • jm89jm89 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard that Toyota put a hold on BSM sales due to bad adhesive?

A dealer told me that and I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

I have the 50th Anniversary Edition TCH and the parts guys didn't know they existed!
    I've had them on a TCH for about 11 months. No problems.

Toyota still includes them as an available accessory on their web site.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    The body side moldings are not available for the 50th anniversary model. Your paint is the blizard pearl color and the camry hybrid does not list the body side moldings in blizard pearl. BSM in blizard pearl are available for the Avalon, but they will not fit on the Camry. I had one dealer offer to get the moldings in a basic white color,and paint them blizard pearl,,,,, I passed. I am quite sure the spoiler is not available in blizard pearl for the camry either.
  • stuartastuarta Member Posts: 2
    Where did you get the accessories?
    Has anyone found wiper blades that they really like? It is tie for me to replace the original and am exploring options. Thanks...
  • patflapatfla Member Posts: 14
    Mon-Fri I'm generally driving the TCH alone. I often put books, backpack, etc in the passenger seat.

Which sets off the 'put on your seat belt beeping and warning light'. Which lasts about two small blocks as I drive out of our neighborhood.

Any way to turn this off (and back on of course)?

pat
  • drshrinkwrapdrshrinkwrap Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I've found it annoying too. The easiest solution is to buckle the passenger side seat belt, or simply leave it buckled all the time if you typically drive alone.
  • spenbabaspenbaba Member Posts: 6
    In northern NJ, the dealer also said the BSM sales are on hold because of an adhesion problem. This was after I took delivery of a 50th Anniversary Edition TCH and I had their body shop install pearl painted BSM. No problem this far- after three months.

Because of the problem, I asked the dealer if they would give me my money back for the BSM if they fell off and they said they would just stick it back on.
  • lwittlwitt Member Posts: 7
    I have been installing moldings for the last 30 years. In the last 2 there has been more demand for a perfect painted molding rather than vinyl. I can get what you need, and the instructions are user friendly. 50,000 mile / 5 yr warranty. Any toyota and almost all other makes are available
    Have had my car since December and the molding has been fine... had to put on new molding on the driver side because of an accident... will see if there is a problem... but has not been for a month.
  • lvwlvw Member Posts: 14
    The dealer can easily reprogram the warning to either match the few notes from the driver position or silence it entirely. Had mine done recently, when I had the car in for a regular service. Easy enough, of course, to simply buckle the seatbelt, but also very easy to get the warning changed.
  • maddog3333maddog3333 Member Posts: 1
    Forum members,

I am the brand new owner of a 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid, and I have a few questions. The first question (for now) concerns the VIP Security RS 3200 Plus system. Has anyone had it installed after initial purchase? Is it worth paying the extra few hundred dollars to have the Toyota dealer add it on my vehicle or is the factory standard engine immobilizer/door arm/disarm system sufficient enough? Is it worth the extra money to have alarm sounding capability and glass breakage alarms? I like bells and whistles and was wondering if it is worth the money (probably around $360 installed plus tax). I will look forward to your advice.

Paul
  • samcatlusamcatlu Member Posts: 2
    Your TCH looks great! Where did you buy the wood trim and how much? Did you install yourself? Thanks.
  • computercutcomputercut Member Posts: 6
    I recently bought a new Camry Hrybrid with the voice activated navigation system. I am not a stupid person, in fact I handle computer tech support, but I find it to be pretty much worthless. It is probably about the most user unfriendly system I have ever encountered. I took it back to the dealership and even they couldn't figure it out and suggested I come in for one of the classes they hold. Personally, I feel that a system should have a logical enough sequence of steps that you should at least be able to operate the basic functions without having to waste your time going to class to learn it.It is incredibly frustrating. Just to make a voice call you have to go through 4 steps. I love the car but feel I have been ripped off having paid somewhere around $2,000 for this worthless piece of garbage. Am I alone here or has anyone else encountered these problems?
    I have not tried more than once to figure out the voice activation. The navigation is decent but I've been several places where the roads are not shown on the map. However I absolutely love the energy screens and this should be standard in every TCH. I would probably be bored with this car if not for these features. Worth $2K. Probably not. But I would not want a TCH without the energy screens and that's the only way to get them.
    The amazing thing is that a great car manufacturer should put an inoperable "voice activated" system and the worst GPS system I have ever used in one of their cars.

Love my TCH and I too like all the bells and whistles, am quite computer savvy and have completely given up on using either of these functions. I am quite skeptical that even a Toyota taught class would help, having read and reread the manuals... but if you can make it work beyond adequate, I would be interested to know how.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Most voice activated systems work better if you talk FASTER. Say the words you want the system to understand almost faster than normal speaking. Try it ....maybe it will work with your system. I do not use the voice activation, but I will try it also. "If you use bluetooth phone system another example would be to speak the "dial by number" command quickly. Not 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1,,,,,,,,but 111 111 1111. This works better to. hope this helps.
    I am glad to see that I am not the only dummy out there. I just find it amazing that a great car manufacturer like Toyota would even put such a useless piece of equipment in their car. I will try the tips being offered and let you all know how the class goes. :cry:
  • oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    I am glad to see that I am not the only dummy out there. I just find it amazing that a great car manufacturer like Toyota would even put such a useless piece of equipment in their car.

Isn't that really a very harsh statement to make? The Nav with voice guidance is a "useless piece of equipment"???? What exactly do you need that requires voice guidance? When driving, the Nav is de-activated for entering locations, only in Map mode. And if you needed to enter a destination, you'd be packed somewhere which should make use of your hands free to get it done.

I mean, people just loves to complain for the heck of it. I own an '08 TCH with Nav. I never use the voice guidance cos I can certainly use my fingers on the touch-screen to enter info I need to find. I also have an '03 LX470 with Nav, and a '99 LS400 with Nav. I have seen the evolution of Toyota's Nav system from the Gen-1 (in my '99) to the gen-7 in the TCH. I've never had to read a manual to operate these systems. Even my 15-yo finds it pretty easy to use....

This isn't rocket science folks.... The Nav system is written in a language you can understand. So what's the problem? Could it be our expectations far exceed the reality of these machines we buy???
    That's interesting. You pay up to $2000 for a voice activated nav system and you don't care if the voice works. I guess you are the kind of customer Toyota loves and this system is made for. It is obvious that you have missed the whole purpose of having a voice activated system. IT IS SO YOU CAN MAKE PHONE CALLS AND OPERATE THE NAVIGATION BY TALKING TO IT SO THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO STOP AND PULL OVER! I see that you have alot of experience with the Toyota system. Have you ever tried to use the system on an Infinity, Nissan, Honda or Acura? I have, and I was up and running in minutes without even having to look at a manual. That is the expectation I have for this system. You're right, I'm not a rocket scientist but I do have a college degree so I should not have to go to Toyota CLASS (yes they do have them) and get another one.