Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Accessories & Modifications

1235»

Comments

• gwilsongwilson Member Posts: 46
    Thank you very helpful! I just ordered mine so I have about 7-8 weeks wait and wanted to start researching the hitches. Pictures would be great if you get the time but really appreciate the info you have provided now. :)
  • hmshahhmshah Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone tried to install underbody spoilers(front, back and side), like the ones in Camry SE in TCH. I am really interested in getting those. Thanks
  • timh4timh4 Member Posts: 3
    Which R12 pin(s) do I need to temporarily "break" with a switch?

And where is R12 located in the car?

Thanks for your help!
  • shazam3shazam3 Member Posts: 13
    The "upgraded accessory package" includes the trunk cargo net, trunk mat, first aid kit, and I think floor mats too.
  • egtan271egtan271 Member Posts: 2
    Hello. I'm also interested in getting the underbody spoilers (front, sides & back) for my 2009 Camry Hybrid. I just bought the Genuine Toyota rear spoiler but Toyota does not have the underbody spoilers.

Would appreciate any information on these accessories.

Thanks - ET
  • saz25saz25 Member Posts: 152
    Hi,
    I ordered an 09 Camry Hybrid with FE CQ LA UP. Aren't the Carpeted Floor mats (CF) included? My dealer is trying to make me pay an additional $199 MSRP. Am I being ripped off?

Besides that, I am getting $2025 off MSRP.

On the Edmunds site it says the price is N/A.

Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    Are being ripped off? Yes and no. The MSRP on the TCH I bought was $199. You might get them elsewhere for less, if it's worth the trouble. But if they discounted the car, why not the mats too?

Still, your deal looks good. In this region, SF Bay Area, hybrid Camrys are scarce.
  • remardremard Member Posts: 3
    I like the way the spoiler looks and I'm wondering if it can, in any way, improve my MPG. I know it's mostly for aesthetic value but could the added downforce negate the extra weight and give me a little better mileage?
  • spenbabaspenbaba Member Posts: 6
    Keep in mind the TCH has the lowest drag of any Camry. A spoiler would be expected to increase drag. Downforce shows up as added weight on your tires, so what do you think the added drag and weight will do to your mileage?
  • maxg01maxg01 Member Posts: 1
    Where do I find a Clear Bra for my TCH? And what is a good price?
  • bgmhntr1bgmhntr1 Member Posts: 2
    Try http://www.invisiblemask.com/site.html this link, so far they are all I have been able to find for the clear bra. Good price too if you do the work with a lifetime warranty.
  • jblochjbloch Member Posts: 2
    I have a different question--I can't see that this has been discussed on any other thread--if it has, then sorry. Anyway, it appears that through the discussions here and the note "t" that Edmunds uses on the new car TMV guide, that the TCH usually comes equipped "loaded," i.e. leather, NAV, and moonroof--i.e. the UT/LA/SR packages--which adds $4590 to the bottom line (MSRP--which is the same as buyer cost since the TCH isn't being discounted). My question is, since I don't really want a TCH with leather, moonroof or NAV, is there any chance Toyota is going to start producing "lower-end" models that don't have these three big-ticket add-ons for those of us who'd prefer to buy a hybrid in the $28000 range rather than $31,500? I gather they're going to "ramp-up" production of the TCH (prob. not as much as the Prius), so wondered if this is a possibility.

Thanks,

Jim :)
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    While many TCH's are indeed loaded many are not.
  • nnnnnpatelnnnnnpatel Member Posts: 27
    I there a replacements accessories for blue plastic consoles trim for hybrid camry? I wish it would have the wood trims.

np
  • exvwdriverexvwdriver Member Posts: 3
    I saw a partial thread under Trunk dimensions (Message 386), but thought this deserved a separate discussion.

My 09 TCH arrived in town Yesterday, but I don't have it yet. The day I signed my contract, the salesman looked up the specifications and quoted me OK to tow 1000#. Since then I've been told the TCH is not recommended for towing at all, but they were still willing to install receiver hitch to allow an upright "T" carrier to pair with a Thule Bar on roof for carrying a long Kayak, or for use with a bike rack... but they wouldn't insatll a tail light kit thus preventing use with trailer. I saw in a post under "trunk dimensions", a comment that it is not recommended to install a receiver hitch for carrying anything either. I don't have an owner's manual yet, but if the dealer installs the hitch shouldn't they have to warranty the car with it?

I initially intended to occasionally pull a 300# 5x8 utility trailer loaded with a 2 kayak rack and sometimes a walk behind lawn mower. Max combined weight 600# or the same as 3 large adults in the "5 passenger" car. I hate to drive my 15 mpg GMC 1500 truck just to carry a pair of Kayaks or a lawn mower. I assusme I wouldn't be getting hyper mileage while doing so, but it should beat the truck.

What's the difference in towing a small trailer on "normal roads" vs driving 5 people up a mountain to a ski resort? I understand that once the hitch is there, they have no control of how it is used, but what is the towing concern anyway? Is the system too sensitive to protect itself? I would expect that if the ICE & motor can't provide sufficient power to handle the load at a given speed, then the vehicle automatically unloads by going slower. Like a person pedaling up a hill, you can only go as fast as you have power to go. :confuse:
  • monte8monte8 Member Posts: 75
    "What's the difference in towing a small trailer on "normal roads" vs driving 5 people up a mountain to a ski resort?"

A trailer (even a small one) becomes a tail that can wag the car. The Prius does not recommend any trailer towing. The Highlander Hybrid has a 3500 lb towing limit. One of the problems with the Camry is that it is a front wheel drive car. A similar weight and horse power rear wheel drive car will have a higher towing limit.
    If the dealer won't put in the wiring for lights, but the manual says you can tow 1000#, just go to another mechanic.
    That said, if the manual says you can tow 1000#, it should handle 600# without a problem.
  • nbentonnbenton Member Posts: 2
    Before I got my TCH I used a Garmin Nuvi GPS system. Compared to the Nuvi, the TCH system was more complicated to use, but I got used to it. However, one difference I would like to change involves announcing the streets. The Nuvi announces a street coming up where you have to turn - like "Turn Left on on Apple Street" whereas the TCH never gives the name of the street.

Is Toyota every going to offer upgrades of the GPS software?
  • tarukytaruky Member Posts: 18
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    I just bought an 09 TCH and the accessories brochure indicated simulated wood applique availability.
  • pianewmanpianewman Member Posts: 8
    Haven't posted for quite a while.
    I've got 18k miles on 07 Camry Hybrid, and would like to upgrade suspension. Last time I posted, someone had tried the TRD springs and ended up with a raised front end and a squat rear.
    Any updates? TRD still doesn't list Hybrid mods...guess no one else is interested.
    I still find the suspension uncomfortably soft and approaching dangerous when pushed...yeah, I know, don't push it...
  • geechonggeechong Member Posts: 1
    My apologizes if you have already answered this question, but I'm a newbie.

Where did you get the wood dash kit? It looks great! I too have the same color interior and exterior on my TCH. What is the style/grain type?

Are you happy with the kit?

Thanks!
    George
  • exvwdriverexvwdriver Member Posts: 3
  • pat85pat85 Member Posts: 92
    The TCH owners manual says "No Towing. "
  • doggydodoggydo Member Posts: 1
    So what are people paying for Camry hybrids? A dealer told me he is selling for $1,200 under MSRP. Also, how long can I expect to wait if it has to be ordered?
  • jblochjbloch Member Posts: 2
    Not sure yet. I'm going to be buying mine in early January. Edmund's has the TMV price listed at sticker price (Columbus, Ohio area) and dealer websites here also list them around sticker price, but not really sure that means anything. I'd definitely recc. you use the Edmund's dealer quote service--I used it when I bought my daughter's Civic in August; even got it for a bit less than the lowest bid on-line. More dealers using Edmunds now: 4 of the 5 in the Columbus area Toyota dealers are now listed on it, whereas only 2 were registered when my wife bought her RAV4 in January 2007, so suspect that's a sign of the current economic times. I'll repost in early January to let you know what I paid over the TCH invoice when I buy it.
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Member Posts: 32
    I took delivery on my 09 TCH in early November and had $1K off MSRP. I am very happy with my choice and really think Toyota did one heck of a job with this car.
  • bgmhntr1bgmhntr1 Member Posts: 2
    I had my dealer install the Invision (recommended) dual DVD headrest system into my TCH yesterday. THC has almost 5k miles on it and is 8 months old. It works great and my kids are ecstatic about it, but while driving last evening I started to notice a computer like sound coming from under the dash/engine compartment...that I had never heard before...could the new addition of the DVD system be causing this...or since Toyota installed it...should I just chalk it up to the normal wizzardly sounds from this car. Thanks
  • dialtone2dialtone2 Member Posts: 1
    Is anybody aware of any after market in dash navigation/xm/cd ++ systems that will fit in the 2008 TCH? I have the JBL factory installed AM/FM 6 Disk CD currently and would like to replace it with a high end combo GPS/XM/CD/DVD unit. Can it be done?
  • gillesmtlgillesmtl Member Posts: 55
    I've been complaining about this since the fall of 2006. No solution. As you say, it even becomes unsafe when the car is loaded. I remember being ashamed of my car once I was taking friends with me (no luggage), with the car's rear end bobbing up and down incessantly.
  • pianewmanpianewman Member Posts: 8
    My solution? 2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon w/ DSG.
    Smaller interior, no nav, no "Jasper Pearl" (GREEN!).

But...it goes like stink, w/o the stink. (I told the salesman...VW should advertise, "More smoke from your front tires than from your exhaust!") Only 3k miles, averaging 36.5 (winter fuel, temps, diesels also have LONNNG break-in...typically 30-40k miles). Hyper-miling yields 44-46+ on the highway.

I don't not miss the 70's Olds vintage suspension of the Hybrid...also saving money on dramamine...

Camry Hybrid did exactly what it advertised. I liked the concept, and the projected reliability (over the VW!), but the handling was a real downer...and I felt, unsafe.
  • spenbabaspenbaba Member Posts: 6
    I ordered steel wheels with wheel covers from TireRack.com without the TPMS sensors because I didn't want to pay the extra $362 or so over the $500 for the snow tires and rims. Without the sensors, the dashboard icon comes on and flashes for a while before coming on continuously. I don't know of any way to turn it off. The tires work fantastically on snow and ice.
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    You need to go to the dealer and have the new TPMS sensors programmed to your car. You might want to call around and see which dealers charge for this, some charge more than others.

You have to do this every time you change tires. Or just ignore the light. :)
  • tsytsy Member Posts: 1,551
    As with any car there are tradeoffs- but you can't expect it to handle like a Porsche. :)

Driven safely and smoothly I find it does better than some Toyota products I've driven, if that makes you feel any better. You might also consider having the dealer check the suspension and make sure none of the shocks are leaking.

My guess is the suspension on the hybrid is different than the regular camry since the hybrid weighs more, especially in the rear where the battery is, but I'm not really sure what the spring rates are of either. It's also important that regardless of what springs you add, they really need to be matched up with the dampers (shocks) and likely with this car the problem is both the springs and the dampers.

Also, most aftermarket springs are designed to lower the car rather than improve on the suspension (for appearance) and I'm not sure that's what you're looking for/ would want.

I did a quick search and found some coilovers, which would allow you to adjust both height and dampening, but really you'd want to test the suspension on a racetrack or somewhere safe to get a setting that is safe to use without introducing any unsafe handling characteristics (although I'm not sure you'd ever be able to get a Camry to unsafely oversteer). Car manufacturers spend many hours tuning the cars suspension so that they're safe for the average person.

By the time you've done all these changes, you're probably better off selling the camry and buying an altima hybrid. Or a porsche. :)

Good luck

tom
  • barb36jack31barb36jack31 Member Posts: 34
    Bought my 09 Camry Hybrid in June, 08 with dealer installed leather, dealer lifetime warranty for drive train, Red clear coat paint. Very sharp! $100 over dealer invoice plus tax title etc. Out the door price just over $27000. 6000 mi on the car now and it delivers 36.5 - 38.5 mpg with mixed driving. Great automobile. (MPG is as shown on the gauge, not actual calculation which probably would be somewhat lower)

Jack H.
  • fun4shoppingfun4shopping Member Posts: 5
    Wonder if anyone has installed the Xentec Slim HID kit to the low beam of TCH? Any problem? or advise?

Thanks.
  • twometrebilltwometrebill Member Posts: 3
    The dealer lost the key code before delivery of our 2009 TCH. They claim they looked it up and sent us a 5 digit code. Since 5 digits is only good for 100,000 unique keys, I'm thinking they made a mistake.

I doubt that Toyota would reuse the same code for every 100,000 vehicles. Shades of the bad old days of US vehicles when GM and Ford only had 1,000 unique keys for their whole fleet.

Could someone check theirs and post the number of digits in yours?

Thanks,
    Bill
    5 digits is it. Mine came on a ridiculously small metal tag. But I still have it. The dealer can look it up with your VIN number, right? I have mixed feelings about the Smart Key system. I've read horror stories of people who've lost or broken their keys on out-of-town trips on a weekend. What a pain, and expensive.

The odds of a random "hit" of 1 in 100,000 is, obviously, pretty small, even more so given that a minority of Toyota cars come with Smart Key. I once returned to my car with some purchases, inserted the (traditional) key to open the trunk, and then realized it wasn't my car! It was a nearly identical Toyota Camry parked two spaces from my car. It happens.
    Thanks for checking your code for me.

Still I think that Toyota has been making some silly mistakes like this, the cost would probably have been the same to use a trillion separate codes as only 100,000. Other problems: only the driver is supposed to be comfortable, no lumbar support for the front passenger; short tracking the seat rails so that the smallest VW has more legroom than the giant Landcruiser and Sequoia, and we all could go on.

Thanks again,
    Bill
    I looked at my Honda key code: 4 digits, 1 letter, or 260,000 possibilities.

My only comfort recommendation for the Camry would be longer seat bottoms, for better thigh support for people with long legs. The Japanese have long neglected to include the extra comfort controls in the passenger seat.
  • moondogjimmoondogjim Member Posts: 1
    In 1988 I rented a 88 Camry from Hertz. Drove to my hotel spent the night and the next morning got up and headed out. Hopped in my "Camry" and drove off. Before I got out of the parking lot of the hotel, I noticed a rental agreement envelope on the pass.seat. I thought I had put mine in my brief case which was sitting beside me, I opened it and there it was. Opps, I had someone elses rental car and my key worked, surely their key would work in mine. Drove back and found my Camry and parked the other and took mine. At the time the rental place had 4 Camry's all new and three of them used the same key.
    I'll go with the 100,000 combinations, seems safe enough for me. Also, on the 100,000 codes, that doesn't rule out colors and that adds a even bigger uniques to the mix. :)
  • nitcnitc Member Posts: 13
    Hi, I just purchased a 2011 Camry Hybrid with heated leather seats and heated exterior mirrors. I am wondering if there is any way to know if I indeed have the heated exterior mirrors. On my other car (also a Toyota), the mirrors have a picture which is the same as that on the rear defogger button. That tells me that these mirrors are heated. The Camry has no such thing on the side view mirrors. if anyone has heated mirrors on their Camry (or Camry Hybrid), can you tell me if yourcamry has anything on the mirrors indicating that those are indeed heated mirrors? I've checked the user manual and could not find any information. All the user manual states is how to use the heated mirrors if the car is so equipped.
  • pat85pat85 Member Posts: 92
    There is no indication that the heated mirrors are working.
  • scippyscippy Member Posts: 5
    I read my new manual too and see that there is a warning about getting burns from the mirrors. Can't you simply hit the button for the to defrost the rear window and see if you can feel the heat coming off of the mirrors? It seems simple enough.

But if you are asking if there are indicators on the mirrors themselves or on the dash display, I think you are correct: There are none.

Hope this helps.
  • nitcnitc Member Posts: 13
  • bdmflabdmfla Member Posts: 1
    Owned Camrys since 92. This will be the last. Body metal so thin AKA mileage, parking near destination results in dings. Who wants to park in farthest spot? Dash gets so hot I have bumped it with finger and nail cut actual divot. Driver sun-visor fell apart (recalled). CD player would not give homemade CD's back without countless trips to the eject button. Dealer : "We recommend 'store bought' CD's". Within a month same thing occurred with "store bought". Dealer : "We've had this problem". Solution : replace with identical unit! Went aftermarket. Intermittent bright/dim of dash light, blows head-lights/tail-lights/tag-lights frequently. More than 1 encounter with law due to this (including $166 ticket in Daytona). Paint peeling from nose. Driver window control pod peeling paint. We enjoy the reliability, ride, mileage and power. Buy the side molding protectors before it's too late.
  • samcatlusamcatlu Member Posts: 2
    I just saw the first response to this post in 5 years and felt the need to give my review. I've owned the '08 Camry for 5 and 1/2 years. It's been extremely reliable and all the bells and whistles have worked flawlessly for me (knock on wood). I have 85k miles and all this car does is go. My only beef is I live on a bumpy rural dirt road and there is a rattle that annoys me but if that's all I can come up with after nearly 6 years who can really complain? Except for oil and tires this care has spent no time in the shop. I've yet to even change a light bulb! This car was well worth the $.