Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• johnminnjohnminn Member Posts: 52
    "Black smoke" doesn't sound like a lack of fuel.
    It does sound like a poor fuel/air ratio.

I think they are looking in the wrong part of the fuel delivery system.
    It would appear that the regulator system is seeing a full throttle condition.
    OR
    You are losing air flow. (not too likely unless there is a piece of plastic on the intake side of the filter. Worth a mention, but that is about all it is worth.)

How about fuel rail pressure regulator?
    The schematics are at the other shop, but I am wondering if that fuel pressure is not regulated by the computer and is regulated by the fuel demand.
    Check Throttle Position Sensor with ohmmeter.
    Check all electrical connectors for pin/socket alignment.
    As I recall, that cable is assembled in Mexico on a piece work basis. if a pin or socket is backed off a bit, they would meet "nose to nose" and when you disturb it when working on the fuel system the contact is re-made temporarily.
    The diagnostic readout should detect that as you wiggle harnesses.
    Let me know what the dealership finds, would you please.
  • cliftonfarmscliftonfarms Member Posts: 2
    Will do...It will be after Tuesday before I hear anything because of L-Day. Thanks.
  • autotech41autotech41 Member Posts: 1
    Well lets start at......I had an oil cooler leak so I proceded to replace cooler,Now I am a technician just not alot of experiance with powerstoke 6.0, But got cooler replaced and was flushing out radiator and backflushed the block. Tied it all back together to return to my customer. I took it for a test drive and it ran fine through first and second. When it shifted to drive about 45 miles an hour A Intercooler pipe blew off, Not sure if clamp was crooked or what happened but after that it died and will not start no matter what I do. I have fuel in filter and at fuel rail. I am so totally lost now. If someone could help I would be appreciative. So would the customer LOL
  • dex5dex5 Member Posts: 1
    hello! just wondering how you made out with your no start problem, as i have an 04 in the shop right now with the same thing, did the fuel tests,changed egr,and also i have the parts at hand to change out the computer and injector modual, still no start when it does run its as if it were running out of fuelalso changed cam and crank sensors
    Mark,

After market equipment which is properly designed IS NOT the problem.
    These 6.0L engines have been blowing head gaskets in spite of the fact that every "nut bolt and screw" under the hood was OEM.

I am watching for the factory to come out with improved head bolts due to the nature of when the problem shows.

No load, no problem. Heavy load climbing hills, coolant dumps.

A 350 dually with a 6.0L diesel is supposed to be a workhorse, that is why people buy them. Only a few want them for the same reason many want a Hummer.
    The idea is to be able to pull a good size travel trailer up over the hills without getting down into first gear.

A work horse is not supposed to be like a cutter pony.
    A good diesel engine well cared for should make 250,000 easily. (Even if I use Donaldson filters instead of Ford filters because the Donaldson filter is far superior to the Ford filter and exceeds all of Fords specks.)
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    I was talking more about reflashes, different turbos, playing with the intake or exhaust.

Incidently, Ford just came out with an extended warranty program for up to 200,000 miles on new 6.0 (e-vans) and 6.4 powerstroke. So they must think they have the problems solved...

Mark.
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Member Posts: 161
    Okay guys I am not sure what you think the truck is suppose to be but I will try ot make this simple.

An F350 is able to haul 2000 lbs which is one ton and yes when pulling some type of trailer depending on the size of it can be pulled up a hill and at a good speed if you want to fly up the Mtn at 75 MPH with a 10,000 lb trailer you might wanna get a Semi, even when I race my truck and vette at the 1/4 mile track it gets hot and thats only a 1/4 mile.

As far as using a Donaldson Filter I would not use it on the oil just like I would not use a K&N filter either, the reason is because they are thicker and yes they clean the oil better they cut down the flow of oil needed.

Last thing is that we got lucky when they came out with the 7.3 and that they built it good but people tried to make more power and more power out of it and started blowing them up then wanted to Ford to replace them, lol. Now a lot of things Ford did replace because there was no way for them to trace if someone had used a Chip or Programmer to get more power but when they came out with the 6.0 Ford changed 2 things, 1 they made the head gaskets weaker and the computer able to store information like chips and if programmers had been used.

Now I love Fords and will never buy anything else but I also know that the truck was made not to haul 10,000 plus up a hill at 75 MPH.

Cowboy
    Hey Mark,

Yes you can get a longer Warranty but it's not because they think they have a problem or that they have solved anything but because they are trying to keep sales up. Now hopefully you read my last post or some of the other ones and that you start replacing Turbos, Intake, Exhaust and Injectors you just automatically voided your Warranty and the motors life just got cut in half or more.

And it's funny you use the word > Playing < because thats is what you are totally doing is playing with something you have no clue about or the after market company is doing to give you more power they are playing with you motor and it's not going to last. Although you will cut the motors life in half or more but if you want more power so you can pull up the mtns better you might wanna find you a good 7.3 to play with. Thats all I have are 7.3's and yes I make more power out of them but I know at some point I am going to replace the motor sooner because of it. I once ran into a guy that had over 750,000 mile on his 7.3 and pull out the file case to show all the service records for it. It was not a small case, lol. He had replace the rear end twice, 2 Turbos, 3 Trannys and just just about everything else at least once BUT the motor was still the same one it came with.

Now I know I miss use my trucks and I admit it and I know you guys think you are not miss using them but the second you start to race them and do things to get more power out of them you are.

Cowboy
  • adw04adw04 Member Posts: 3
    from reading here i see i'm not the only one. parked in usual way, shut down. came back several hours later wont start. will turn over, no warning lights, glow plugs cycle, everything normal but wont start. towed 60 miles into dealership. soon as off the hook, starts right up. dealership has for two weeks, say checked everything, all ok. now have ghost in the machine and have lost faith. anybody have similar experience with a fix???
  • terrapin2terrapin2 Member Posts: 2
  • terrapin2terrapin2 Member Posts: 2
    When I try to start my F350, it will hesitate several seconds before turning over. Sometimes it will not turn over at all, either hot or cold. I just replaced the batteries & the problem still occurs. The dash lights are on indicating there is power. My mechanic is confused. Any ideas?
  • coachr91coachr91 Member Posts: 1
    Oh nooooooooo!! I've looked over several foriums and it seems that others are experiencing the same thing that just happened to me..I stopped for diesel and my truck would not start after a fill up..towed to dealer says it may be bad gas..said the computer doesn't pick up any problems..took it home ran ok for a while I stopped , shut it off and then it would not start, like it wasn't getting any gas..took it back after it finally started, the ford dealer at first couldn't find anything wrong until it would not start for them. He now says it's a sensor problem and they are trying to figure out which one..mind you it's been a week..2007 with only 22,500 miles..what can I do? I'm towing an RV and need the truck, we are stuck in an RV park..without the truck...
    Ford told me the same thing. If the cant recreate the problem they cant fix it. Anyone out there found the cause of the wont start problem????? Guess I should have bought a dodge.
  • arielsante2007arielsante2007 Member Posts: 2
  • arielsante2007arielsante2007 Member Posts: 2
    I have to keep an eye on the coolant level and refill it every week. It has no leaks whatsover. Is this normal on this type of 6.0 turbo-diesel engine?
  • bmackinnon84bmackinnon84 Member Posts: 1
    i was just wondering if you ever found your problem? im having the same problem and it all happend in one day, it feels like half the power. if you can just right me back and let me know anything.
    Thanks, Bill
  • rgt3rgt3 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2004 F50 6.0 Powerstroke - used mainly for hauling a horse trailer (big one - 6 horse - about 4 times, little one - 2 horse- about thirty) and hay (10 times). Has 50,000 miles and NO aftermarket parts, except a bed liner, brake assist and a gooseneck hitch. Ran great until 40k miles, when suddenly it cut off while driving and restarted - seemed underpowered that day. Then ran fine. Next day, my wife was driving with my stepdaughter and clouds of white smoke started coming out. They were able to creep into a parking lot. Towed to Ford for $125.00. Ford said it was the injectors and warranty covered them. Last week, in the morning, the truck would "spin" (Ford tech's term) but would not turn over. Did this in the morning and once at the dealer that day (after another $125.00 tow). Next morning, started fine, as well as, the next three days. I picked it up today and has run fine - seems to have full power. Ford has no explanation for the problem, but I wonder now if they are just begging off until waranty expires. They said the computer checked out and they could not find a problem.
    As a horse owner, the last thing I need is a sick horse and a dead truck. (Only had a couple of emergencies so far, but the horse could have died if I had to call around looking for another truck.) I bought this truck on recommendations of reliability - always have heard diesels are reliable and long lasting. After reading here, I think I will look for another truck, especially when it is still under warranty and the Company cannot even figure out the problem.
  • ducky83ducky83 Member Posts: 2
  • ducky83ducky83 Member Posts: 2
    have 2002 f350 powerstroke, noticed a smell and all wet under the passenger wheel well. opened hood and looks like diesel in the over flow anyone have this problem
  • kdean2608kdean2608 Member Posts: 9
    Tell them to replace your "camshaft sensor"!!!!! I have a 2008 Super Duty Diesel now with 15k miles and mileage not improving at all. Over last 5k miles started noticing the engine would not idle down form time to time and rpm's run higher sometimes when running on highway at varying speeds. Finally a month ago service light came on, took it in and they ran VIN and found a SSM on this truck for this concern to replace camshaft sensor and sure enough it fixed problem and mileage improved briefly and idling problem stopped. They also told me if this sensor went bad completely it would NOT ALLOW ENGINE TO START, hence your fix. Problem now, it is returning and come to find out dealer installed an old one in stock from prior year or earlier production so CLEARLY ford has a problem with its supplier for these CAMSHAFT SENSORS. Make them install a BRAND NEW ONE!
    Do you think it's that on the 04 also? Mine has been running fine since the last episode. But I never know when it will happen again. Would the sensor work fine some times and not others?
  • shayneerinshayneerin Member Posts: 1
    This is obviously a starter problem. Possibly a bad solenoid (the electrical component of the starter). That would be the cheapest fix and should be the first thing you try. Probably no more than $60.00. You might even be able to change it yourself!
  • clhowlandclhowland Member Posts: 1
    Bought 2003 F350 Power stroke super duty deisel. have replaced transmission, head gasket and all of injectors at least once, dealer claims that first poor fuel quality. produced receipts for premium deisel. then said needed to change feul filter every 10k miles, did that too, have receipts, warranty only covers 12 months need replacing every 14-15 months. getting run around every major repair.
    Is anyone having trouble with these parts in particular 03 drivers? please respond asap!
  • firebugzfirebugz Member Posts: 4
    Kings Mountain N.C.
    I have a 2004 F350 6.0 Power Stroke Diesel.
    I am having the same issue right now, i'm not sure what the dealer is going to say. But it apeares that I have a head gasket problem, but my clutch on my fan stayed ingaged for a few miles, then white smoke out exhaust, my sugetion don't drive it :sick:
    Hey Dude,

Sounds like you didn't know about all the problems they had with the first 6.0's that came out. They bought back a lot of them in also some 04's. If you have one of the Buy Backs the stickers of Mfg Date is different from others. Just open the Drivers door it will not say Mfg date per say, you may have to look at a new Vehicle to see if it matches. They didn't Buy Back all of them of course but they did a lot of them, either way if you did get one or didn't get one they bought back still try to get rid of it if it's got the 6.0 in it. If you want you can email a photo of the sticker but thats up too you.
    I guy I used to do work with they bought his back and he got a 04 and they almost bought it back too, well they pretty much did but he took the 07.
    As far as the Replacement of Filters I change my Fuel every 6K miles, Oil every 3K Miles and Air every 6K if I am not useing a after market one. Tranny Fluid every 30K miles and the Rear Ends by the Book specs mostly.
    Hey King,
    I hope you read my reply to 129 and if White Smoke is coming out of your Exhaust the Turbo is gone or the Oil Pump is gone.

Cowboy
  • 03stroker03stroker Member Posts: 3
    I have an 03 f350 & had similar problems. There are at least 146 TSB's (technical service bulletins) on the 03 for injectors alone. Turbo will create white smoke and when it goes it will take lots of neighboring parts with it. When they could not get my 03 to not smoke I ended up getting a new 04 long block, new injectors, new turbo, new EGR cooler. When it runs well it runs like a champ. While I have had issues the dealer has been good, even going so far as giving me a loaner while they had it. Don't let the dealer bully you and do research and then hold them to it. Poor fuel is a crock. Ford will tell you the 6.0 requires a cetane of 46 for it to run right, but there are not many suppliers that sell better than 41, so a fuel additive is a must. PSD is inexpensive and nets you about an extra 1mpg. good luck.
    I would strongly recommend you shop around for a good dealership.
    Finally found one who deals in facts and not hype because they READ the bulletins.
    If you can&#146;t go that route, then read the bulletins yourself and print the pertinent ones up and give a copy to your manure salesman.
    The filters are a problem, but you seem to be taking care of that.
    The dealership did replace the full set of injectors, and that ended the problem.
    I don&#146;t trust my engine to the fuels out there because most of them do not have (in my opinion) sufficient lubrication. I DO add Marvel Mystery oil to the fuel because I have had good results in the past, and even the dealership was impressed with the cleanliness of the injectors and lack of wear on the cylinder walls when they replaced the head gaskets. I did notice on one of the other forums where they are dedicated to "getting the most" out of their 6.0L diesels that they have come up with a higher performance set of head bolts and I am looking into that now because I think blown head gaskets is a symptom of another problem such as fatigued head bolts.
    :mad: I am getting FORD to pick my truck up in the morning,
    I'll let you know what they say, thanks for the reply....

I STILL LOVE MY FORD BUT IT MAKES ME WONDER
    IF THOSE DODGE AND CHEY BOYS ARE HAVING ANY
    OF THESE PROBLEMS ???????? :confuse:
  • unfordhappyunfordhappy Member Posts: 1
    I have 66,000 miles on my truck and have had the following parts replaced. Turbo at 46,000 miles, Egr cooler, radiator cap, fan clutch, and now the head gaskets. This is my first diesel and am not impressed with all the problems. About every week or so I add about 2 gallons of anti-freeze and it only blows it out the overflow tank when loaded without showing a temperature rise on the temp gauge. It sounds like Ford has to be aware of this problem, because there are too many true Ford owners that are left with an undesirable pickup. I am self employed and need a pickup everyday to pull my work trailer. It would be sad to say, "Hey bill man, I drive a 6.0 liter Ford therefore I cannot work or depend on my truck." Duhhh! A diesel is supposed to be a work pickup not a to be worked on pickup.

To Cowboy.
    I still love my Ford, but have you heard about any Dodges or Chevys breaking down continuously?
    :(Going to trade tomorrow :cry:

:sick: After being without my truck for a week. I got it back and it ran fine for a little bit then started acting up. Now it seems to be loading up or something, BLACK and WHITE smoke pouring out the exhaust and will not move under its own power, after letting it idle for a while it started running better so if it will make it to the dealership in the morning hopefully i'll trade it. :lemon:

"OH YEA"
    After 4 1/2 days in the shop FORD done the following repairs
    replaced rad cap, replaced EGR cooler, cleaned turbo, replaced tube asy ?,replaced filter asy ?, :confuse: ">
    So was you able to trade it in ? It sounds like the Turbo to me.

Cowboy
  • ohblutoohbluto Member Posts: 7
    Hey adw04,

I'm only 2 hours new to this forum but looks to me like from what I can tell from your starting problem, I may have the same issue....a 2004 F350 6.0 diesel with 198K. Ran great and drove it kinda hard like they should be, shut it down and went back to start it after 45 minutes...just cranked and cranked without starting. I'm told it might be the cam sensor. Does this sound right to you or is anyone out there familiar with this situation? It's in the shop now...lets see what THEY say.

Ohbluto in NY
    I'm 2 hours new to this forum and am hopeful to get some help with my truck with 198K miles on it. I drove it sorta hard (like it should be driven) and ran real sweet after having a coolant leak problem fixed. Shut it down for 45 minutes, went back to start it and cranked and cranked but wouln't start. I'm told it may be a cam sensor. Anyone familiar with this issue? HELP!!!

Ohbluto in NY
  • rachelwrachelw Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased 2008 Superduty F350 Diesel and it currently has 180 miles. While driving on highway, truck seemed to have acceleration enguaged. Truck was running approx 80 mph hour, I could increase speed but after taking foot off pedal it stayed around 80mph. I checked pedals and nothing was interferring. I pressed the off button on cruise control several times. After braking and forcefully slowing down around 40 mph it was like the truck disenguaged. I pulled over put in park and rmps ran high causing truck to jerk. Then put truck in neutral and turned off. Dealership said that factory floor mat was holding acclerator pedal down. I know this was not it, I done visual check several times while this was occuring. I was wondering if anyone has had or know of this concern.
    Generally it will start for a brief momment then shut down when it's the Cam Sensor but thats on the 7.3, not to sure about the 6.0.

Cowboy
    Most what I have heard from my friends that have them is that there is a little more up keep on the Dodges but most that have them are happy and the Chevy owners brag about how quiet there trucks are, lol. There was some that the torgue converters where going out on the Chevy's but they can get one here in Denver for under 300 and pretty stout. The biggest thing is the comfort on the Ford over the other and in the back seat if you have a 4 door. Dodge has came out with the Megacab to try to stay with Ford but Chevy has not yet.

Over all they are seem to have there up's and down's it's those you have to weigh and see which ones out way the other
    Cowboy,

Thanks for the response...the dealer called and said it's the "fuel injector pressurizer" or someting like that. Said they "jumped" it over and started right up....estimated at $700.00 after tax....I said OK and fix it. Does this sound right to you? Thanks.

Ohbluto
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Read your ownes manual about "regeneration"

Mark
  • btwrguitarbtwrguitar Member Posts: 2
    I have the EXACT same problem,can you please tell me how you fixed it.
  • horsebiscuthorsebiscut Member Posts: 1
    I recently put a large exhaust system on my 1997 7.3L Powerstroke. It is completely custom, and I have a tuning question. This system virtually eliminated all back pressure, and I lost a large amount of low rpm power. However it seemed to improve top end power. I then installed some baffles to create some back pressure, and gained a little bit of low end power, but lost all my top end. Is there a way to modify the waste gate to remedy this problem? Any other ideas?
  • shanelessshaneless Member Posts: 3
    i have a 97 f350 powerstroke 175,000 miles after seating all nite it is hard to get started after it starts it is easy to start the rest of the day! i have fuel leak right behind the fuel filter somewhere but can't locate it! and i was pulling 2 atvs up a small hill a the highway and it dropped from 70mph to 55mph in a hurry whats goin on please give some advise!!
    On the Starting part it's either the Glow Plugs or the Relay to the Glow Plugs that is out, the Relay seats right behind the fuel filter and looks like a Starter Relay.

As far as the Power issue that is gonna need a little more input from you. Stick or Automatic, When was the last time it was serviced, how offen do you change the Fuel and Air Filters basically any and all info is needed and then it's going to be at best a guess since the truck is not in front of me but between all of us we can get you pointed in the right direction and cover the basics.

Cowboy
    Hey Bluto,

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner but this reply of yours never showed up in the email. I usually dont get on here unless I see someone has a question so I am sorry about that.
    Anyway yes that is one of the things that will not let it start just like a Dirty Fuel Filter, I have seen some people in here say that they have never changed there Filter and will have like 40K miles on it, lol. The 700.00 is a little pricey though, I hope they wash and changed the oil for that price too. I have no clue where you are but you might wanna try to find a small shop or ask around in your area if there is a company that Rebuilds Turbos and Injectors as they will usually be to do the same thing and find the problem for like 150 bucks and most of the things on your truck you can replace. Here in Denver we have a few places but the best one if something makes me sratch my head is called CDM and they are real good and a lot better than the dealer and a LOT cheaper, lol.
    Just keep in mind though if your truck ever does die shortly after starting and won't keep running then that is a Cam Sensor usually, not always but most of the time.

Cowboy
    For the leak: Spray the leaking area down with an alkaline soap such as a liquid dishwasher (Not kitchen sink) soap mixed with 2 parts water. Let is sit a bit, hose it off thoroughly. When it is dry, just turn the key on and see if the pump, which is in the fuel tank, causes a drip to form. If that doesn&#146;t do it, run it a short while and check again. If those attempts fail, get a bottle of fuel dye and try it again. As to the power. The new low sulfur fuels seem to have less HP/gallon. Remember also that the low sulfur has a lower lubricity and that can be a real problem. I use a combination of Marvel Mystery oil and Howe&#146;s Diesel treatment to &#147;cover my back side&#148; on that situation. That combo sure works well as an additive My injector specialist (injectors and injector systems is all he does) sure brought the power back up on my tractor, and it quit smoking. The injectors were not all that old, and they were clean, but they apparently were factory defective because they had a VERY poor spray pattern, and one of them leaked. To get maximum power and good fuel economy, injectors are critical. If you watch them in his test machine, you will see a VERY fine and EVEN mist. Before he fixed them, the patterns were erratic (asymmetrical) and one nozzle leaked.
    PS: Pulling injectors is no big deal, just be sure to use new seals when you re-install them, and as Cowboy said, find a good shop who knows what they are doing. My injector man charged me a bit less that $160.00 and he replaced a number of the Injector parts parts (a small handful). I will get that $160 back in short order with this smooth running engine and lower fuel consumption, and I do love the power it has now.
    i thenk u for the advise. it is an automatic i change the fuel filter everytime i change the oil 4,000 miles i use rottella oil! i have a kn air filter that gets cleaned at 6000 miles! the tranny has never had nothin done to it but the fluid changed every 50000 miles.
    thank u 4 the advise i will try that!
    Hey Cowboy,

Appreciate you getting back....I'm gonna make sure I keep additives in the fuel to help the injectors and start looking for a cheaper diesel mechanic. The guy I went to came highly reccomended as he works only on the 6.0's, but he's at the dealership...maybe he moonlites...I'll find out. I'm in upstate NY so cold starts aren't far off...thanks again!!

Ohbluto
  • lynard007lynard007 Member Posts: 10
    did they ever figure this out im having the same problems with my 03
  • davesworldddavesworldd Member Posts: 2
    Hey ALL,
    I have a 2001 ford f350 , 7.3 liter super duty lariot with 71,000 on it. I have noticed over the past month or so that the truck has been loosing her get up and go , used to flat hall [non-permissible content removed] off the line. I keep my oil and filters serviced all the time , they dont even collect dust. I have checked all air intake clamps on the turbo intake system and just changed my fuel filter . WHERE IS MY WATER SEPERATOR LOCATED ? The other morning it got down to about 27f and the truck ran great for the length of time it took to warm up , once it warmed up power loss. ANYBODY have a good idea of what might be causing turbo lag bad and loss of power , the truck only has 71,000 on it and its been serviced great and treated like a baby....HELP